Levant crisis - III

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Re: Levant crisis - III

Post by Gagan »

Exactly
Some of the targets would have multiple missiles dedicated for them

Brar, the BDA pics u posted, also show hits on the aircraft shelters at the east end of the runway. That means 10 more shelters, needing 10 more missiles.
Last edited by Gagan on 08 Apr 2017 00:43, edited 2 times in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rudradev wrote:The sole Hindu in US House of Representatives speaks her mind about the cruise missile strikes:

https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-re ... rt-sighted
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard: Trump’s Military Strikes in Syria Are Reckless and Short-Sighted
April 6, 2017
Press Release

Honolulu, HI—Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) released the following statement today after the U.S. launched military strikes on Syrian government targets:

“It angers and saddens me that President Trump has taken the advice of war hawks and escalated our illegal regime change war to overthrow the Syrian government. This escalation is short-sighted and will lead to more dead civilians, more refugees, the strengthening of al-Qaeda and other terrorists, and a direct confrontation between the United States and Russia—which could lead to nuclear war.

“This Administration has acted recklessly without care or consideration of the dire consequences of the United States attack on Syria without waiting for the collection of evidence from the scene of the chemical poisoning. If President Assad is indeed guilty of this horrible chemical attack on innocent civilians, I will be the first to call for his prosecution and execution by the International Criminal Court. However, because of our attack on Syria, this investigation may now not even be possible. And without such evidence, a successful prosecution will be much harder.”
A lone dharmic voice in the darkness.
These are her Dharmic statements.

Straight out of Mahabharata
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

brar_w wrote:Counting TLAMs by target is tricky since one doesn't know the exact launch/shot doctrine. You can't really do shoot look shoot with a subsonic missile salvo from potentially XXXX km away so you would be building that into how many you launch in the first place.
Some lady reporter on Fox news was saying all the THawks were launched one second apart to arrive near simultaneously.

Gagan so you give upper bound 30 hits. Russians say 23 its. US says 59 were launched. (Delta 29 to36)

So missing ones could have gone astray or shot down.

I think both could be causes due to the one hour warning that was given would alert the Russians to activate the SAM sites 4-5 kms away.
During Desert Storm a few were shot down by SAMs. Flight International had accounts of that.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

I believe Gagan added 10 based on the BDA pics posted after his initial assessment . Pentagon's tally is 58/59 iirc
Gagan wrote:Exactly
Some of the targets would have multiple missiles dedicated for them

Brar, the BDA pics u posted, also show hits on the aircraft shelters at the east end of the runway. That means 10 more shelters, needing 10 more missiles.
What I am really interested in knowing is, that the Russians were around and they would have tracked the missiles from the origin to the target
Depending upon the range to target there could have been quite a bit of low level flight which plays havoc with SAM sensor and engagement envelopes. A sub 1000 feet cruise altitude reduced radar horizon to a mere 50-60 km so you defeat these with SHORAAD systems which I believe Syria may have at at this particular base. The TLAM essentially files a terrain hugging portion of its mission depending upon the threat and range to target.
Last edited by brar_w on 08 Apr 2017 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

4 dead in sweden terror attack. one arrest made.

diversity is our strength.

it is a well known fact that sweden is deeply involved in the war against isis.
Last edited by TSJones on 08 Apr 2017 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

diversity definitely helps to spread the pain.

Stockholm (is the syndrome still with you?), sorry for your pain though.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I'm not sure the 10 shelters in the east end of the runway were hit. They were ALL lit up on the initial FLIR images, as was the bunkers just north of it at the east end.
The aircraft shelters on the west have clean points of entry, bang in the middle, so only one missile hit them.

There are 10 air shelters hit on the west. Atleast 4 SAM targets hit on the north, these might have needed multiple missiles, because there were 10 launchers arranged in 3 different groups, back in 2014.

Maybe the US did an == and took out some ISIS targets too that we don't know about.

The russians say 23 hits, the US launched 58. That's like a 50% strike rate?
Maybe some failed and some were shot down, but 50% sounds too less. Some are missing, leading me to think, there might have been some other targets too.

Maybe the SAM batteries 4 kms west or some other target entirely
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The US must have watched the proceedings live via a global hawk or satellite feed. If the targets were hit one after the other, every minute, a lot of BDA happened then and there!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Bingo. Let's wait for more news.

TSJ Sweden attack has no connection to Trump strike.
In fact it was a hijacked truck with no religion. Let's stick to the Levant.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The russians say 23 hits, the US launched 58. That's like a 50% strike rate?
That is if you assume that the Russian assessment was 100% accurate. Given a 60-90 minute advance warning the Syrian systems there should have managed to shoot at least a few but I haven't read any claims to it.
Last edited by brar_w on 08 Apr 2017 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Russians will say less THawks. US will say all 59 hit the targets.
Hence I asked Gagan to make best estimate based on targets what was the number.

I agree one must allocate more to the SAM sites. The HAS look like got one hit.

I ask of you what accounts for the HAS top penetration hits?
A new SDB type payload?

---My attempt.

20 per the second picture posted by Gagan.
Add 10 more in the east.
That's 30.

Add two per each SAM site. That's 8 more.
Total 38 so far.

Even if you allocate more per target there is a shortfall.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

nikki haley says......we're prepared to take further steps against the much beloved asaad.

more treachery...... :) gotta love it.....

meanwhile trumpster is wondering if wife wants to get frisky tonight since its friday nite. nothing else of interest to do.... :)

other than that congress is going on a two week break and he is going to ensconce himself in florida.

sort of like a conch shell. :D
Last edited by TSJones on 08 Apr 2017 01:46, edited 4 times in total.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Maybe a few for a outside the perimeter SAM site.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Trump's actions will change the course of this whole war.

You just wait and see
Its happening soon
Just you wait,

50+ mizzele is a you need. If only Obama had been so decisive.

Yawn!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Gagan wrote:Maybe a few for a outside the perimeter SAM site.

How many for them? 4 SAM sites * 2 each. is still 8.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/07 ... ields.html

This one says Satellite images released Friday show extensive damage.

Where are those pics?

And Syrian Observers based in London say aircraft took off from that airfield!!!

odd one here
However, the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that Syrian warplanes were able to take off from the base and carry out airstrikes in the countryside near Homs.
vs.
Shayrat air base was "almost completely destroyed" by the barrage of 1,000-pound warheads launched from the Eastern Mediterranean Sea early Friday, according to a human rights group in the country.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Just because a Sunni Saddam was taken out, and the shias gained ground, so now a Shia Assad has to be deposed too.
== onlee!

Just another day in the centuries old shia-sunni war in the middle east.

I get the feeling that the US got caught in this mess, and is bending over backwards for the sunni allies?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

ramana wrote:
Gagan wrote:Maybe a few for a outside the perimeter SAM site.

How many for them? 4 SAM sites * 2 each. is still 8.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/07 ... ields.html

This one says Satellite images released Friday show extensive damage.

Where are those pics?
To the best of my knowledge the Satellite images I posted on the last page are the only ones that the DOD has shared so far.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Brar_W, Thanks.

Here is a WaPo article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... -airfield/

Scroll down to this Stratfor article in December 2015 about Shayrat airfield.:

https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/russi ... sets-syria
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

^^^
Look east on google earth images. About 4.5-4.8 kms east from the perimeter is another SAM site.
There's actually a ring of some 8 sites in a 5 km radius around the base. Most of them would be empty, but these are pre-surveyed and have embankments built so the syrians can redeploy double quick if they need to
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

ramana wrote:Brar_W, Thanks.

Here is a WaPo article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... -airfield/

Scroll down to this Stratfor article in December 2015 about Shayrat airfield.:

https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/russi ... sets-syria
Thanks for the WaPo link some high quality images. The bit about the runways was actually surprising since runaway targeting was not mentioned in the official CENTCOM statement either. All taken together this at least to me appears to have strategic messaging and PR combination as opposed to a tactical operation to deny an air-base for example which would have involved command and control (central and localized) and runaway denial at the very minimum.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks for the WaPo link some high quality images. The bit about the runways was actually surprising since runaway targeting was not mentioned in the official CENTCOM statement either. All taken together this at least to me appears to have strategic messaging and PR combination as opposed to a tactical operation to deny an air-base for example which would have involved command and control (central and localized) and runaway denial at the very minimum.
So it was 'brutus fulmen' by brute after all.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A decade ago, Gen. Mattis and Lt. Gen. McMaster were quoted in Edward Tufte as being against the Powerpoint type of decision making afflicting Pentagon.

Looks like when they became in charge the Powerpoint band rolls on.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The SecDef and NSA present choices to POTUS who then has to choose the appropriate level of response. The first thought that came to my mind last night was that this was a limited operation to make good on something Trump said. If this indeed signals (which I doubt) a change in Trump's change in posture vis-a-vis Assad or region in general then you would have likely seen something more engineered towards attempting to reduce his ability to command and control and deploy his air-force. That they did not even go after the runways seems to suggest that the scope was rather limited .. my guess mostly symbolic/messaging and a bit of PR spin for POTUS. If the intention was to enflict maximum pain on the aircraft on the ground or the air-base you would have used difference effects (imho) and obviously not given a hour plus advance notice.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Ramana, I think they have graduated from PPT/video screen to Twitter. Look at those cool gizmos they have to order Subs*.

Clearly there is something about the Idlib offensive that constitutes a red line for the Deep State/KSA/Erdogan/ISIS. Why is that, Singhaji?

It's not very difficult to figure out that this was a setup. The UN sent its Chemical Weapons teams into Syria way back, and pronounced them clean. I believe those guys faaaaaaaaaaar more than I believe US "intelligence" - remember Eyeraki Dubya-EmDee? Same MO from the US UN Rep / SOS. No way that Syrian regime could have got new chemical warheads - and ABSOLUTELY no reason for them to do so.

However, I watched the Russian VP's speech at the UN. Lousy translation, but I could not help feeling, both from his demeanor/words and the look on Halley's mug, that something was wrong. What the Russian said was so much less than what he COULD have said. Halley is of course a former Governor of South Caroline, super-expert at watching pompous racists rant, but again there was something fishy about her expression.

Like both sides know what the other is doing. And they are putting on a show.

*I mean from SubWay.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

P.S. See hu eej sitting in the most important position in the room - at 5 O'clock behind the POTUS.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

ShahBano is omnipresent only
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

IMPORTANT: haidar sumeri

Awful news of at least 140 civilians executed and strung up on electricity poles by Da'ish in western #Mosul for trying to flee.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Iblib is the Pakistan right next to syrian aka indian heartland

The west and gcc would like to see it as a independent principality like kosovo to keep the shia crescent on the boil. It has a land border with turkey via bab al hawa so access is not a problem
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Nimr tiger has published pix of old cw containers at airbase ... but empty with holes drilled by UN inspectors...
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

CNN scrambles to position itself: :rotfl:
Now anyone who thinks CNN/HiC are Daeish rapist-sponsors, is a rabid racist Islamophobe nutcase. Like moi. And Tulsi Bibi. :mrgreen:
Last edited by UlanBatori on 08 Apr 2017 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Singhaji, your analogy needs a bit of refinement: Maybe Idlib is a POK? "If there is a houristan in Syria, it is Idlib, Idlib, Idlib!" etc? I thought Latakia/Damascus were the really nice parts of Syria, Mediterranean coast, hills, forests etc. Is Idlib likewise? Maybe Gen. Vodkov needs to wheel away, get Assad to forget about Idlib until the border can be sealed, and get Erdogan hit very hard so he runs away. Then get the Houthis to cause severe pain to GCC&KSA.
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

I was thinking about the S-200, S-300 and S-400 that have been deployed in Syria and why they didnt intercept these Thawks. Are they deployed else where or they were not used (not wanting to escalate) or they couldnt...

Russian military bases in Syria under ‘ensured’ air defense cover — MoD after US strike
https://www.rt.com/news/383942-russia-m ... ion-syria/

Silence of Russian S-300 and S-400 systems in Syria prevented nuclear war
http://www.pravdareport.com/hotspots/co ... ear_war-0/
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

US says 60 were launched and one fell into the sea. All 59 hit the target.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Lisa wrote:Trump's actions will change the course of this whole war.

You just wait and see
Its happening soon
Just you wait,

50+ mizzele is a you need. If only Obama had been so decisive.

Yawn!
IIRC back in 2014 Obama too had launched nearly the same number of Tomahawk within Syrian territory, but those were aimed at ISIS.

Trump is doing what the Deep State wanted.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

"Trump's Syria Strike was Unconstitutional and Unwise"
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... se/522228/
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Well,I wouldn't like to be a sailor in either of the two USN warships which launched those Tomahawks.Had any of them hit Russian forces,we may have seen both of them obliterated.One is sure that both are now in the crosshairs of Russian naval assets in the Meditt,and Russia is supposed to have now positioned one of its battlecruisers between the USN and Syrian coastline.The White House also appears to be clueless what to do next after Trump let go with his six-gun!

Consolidated reports:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... utin-trump
White House has no clear plan for next steps in Syria after missile strike
Tensions mount with Russia as Sean Spicer says Assad must ‘abide by agreements not to use chemical weapons’ but fails to outline US objectives
US missile strikes in Syria: what we know so far
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 72791.html
Russia says US air strikes in Syria came 'within an inch' of military clash with their forces
Satellite imagery suggests the base that was struck is home to Russian special forces and military helicopters

Tom Batchelor 17 hrs ago.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has said the US air strike on a Syrian air base came “within an inch” of militarily clashing with their forces.

He said the action taken by the Americans was in breach of international law and their own internal procedures, and accused Washington of “barely avoiding combat clashes with Russia”.

In a post on Facebook, Mr Medvedev said the air strike had "completely ruined relations" between the two superpowers.
However, the US says it warned Russia one hour before it fired 59 tomahawk cruise missiles at the Shayrat air base.

Satellite imagery suggests the base that was struck is home to Russian special forces and military helicopters, part of the Kremlin's effort to help the Syrian government fight Islamic State and other militant groups.
No Russian personnel were caught up in the strike.
Syrian state media has claimed that a US missile attack on a government air base has killed seven people, including four children.

US airstrikes on Syria, explained
Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said the strike deliberately avoided sections of the base where the Russians were believed to be present.

Briefing reporters on the operation, he said the US military had "multiple" conversations with Russian forces on Thursday before the strike, using a line of communication that had previously been established to prevent an accidental clash in Syria during the fight against Isis.

Mr Medvedev's statement in full:

"That’s it. The last remaining election fog has lifted. Instead of an overworked statement about a joint fight against the biggest enemy, Isis (the Islamic State), the Trump administration proved that it will fiercely fight the legitimate Syrian government, in a tough contradiction with international law and without UN approval, in violation of its own procedures stipulating that the Congress must first be notified of any military operation unrelated to aggression against the US. On the verge of a military clash with Russia.
:lol:

"Nobody is overestimating the value of pre-election promises but there must be limits of decency.
"Beyond that is absolute mistrust. Which is really sad for our now completely ruined relations. And which is good news for terrorists.

"One more thing. This military action is a clear indication of the US President’s extreme dependency on the opinion of the Washington establishment, the one that the new president strongly criticised in his inauguration speech.

"Soon after his victory, I noted that everything would depend on how soon Trump’s election promises would be broken by the existing power machine. It took only two and a half months."
Great show of defiance by the Syrians! :rotfl:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 73511.html
Syrian jets take off from Shayrat airbase hours after it was pummeled by US bombs, reports suggest
By taking off, the warplanes had 'done the impossible', according to the London based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights

Ben Kentish
US strikes on the Shayrat airbase were reported to have killed at least seven people AP
Syrian warplanes have reportedly taken off from the air base targeted by US air strikes, less than 24 hours after it was pounded by dozens of US cruise missiles.

Donald Trump ordered the strikes on the Shayrat base, near the city of Homs, in response to a chemical attack on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun earlier this week.

The Syrian government has been widely blamed for the attack, although it insists rebel groups were responsible.

The US Navy fired 59 cruise missiles at the base, killing at least seven people and causing what was described as extensive damage.

READ MORE
Syrian airstrikes spark new chill for US and Russia
But within hours it was back in use according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The London based monitoring group which uses sources on the ground to keep track of events in the country, said that Syrian army jets had taken off from the base to carry out strikes on rebel-held areas near Homs, .

They had "done the impossible" in order to continue using the base for sorties, the Observatory said.

The US air strikes triggered a major international row after they were angrily condemned by Russia.
Vladimir Putin’s government, which has consistently supported Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, said the strikes were a contravention of international law.

The US had carried out “an act of aggression against a sovereign state delivered in violation of international law under a far-fetched pretext", the Kremlin said.

The US said it gave Russia an hour’s warning before carrying out the strikes and deliberately avoided sections of the base where Russian soldiers and equipment are housed.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Thus far Putin has showed enormous restraint when provoked,as example,not taking mil action against Turkey when it shot down a Russian aircraft killing one pilot.With great tact,Putin actually got Turkey to warm relations with Russia through diplomacy.However,in the case of the US,an unpredictable Trump,who appears to be vulnerable to the machinations of the US Washington establishment,esp. his alleged relations with Russia,fell for the bait.The real perpetrators of the chem attack may indeed be members of the so-called Free Syrian Army working in cahoots with ISIS against the Assad regime and fully supported by the US/West and Arab powers.Pres. Putin is very unlikely to give Trump a "free pass" and will carefully weigh up his options in retaliation.He has the foll. options:

1.Crush the FSA and pro-western/Arab militias opposed to Assad with brutal force.
2.Increase air defences in Syria to protect both Russian and Syrian mil assets from further US strikes.
3.Take mil action against any further US strikes against the Syrians,both defensive and offensive.
4.Increase the Russian mil presence in Syria and the Meditt.
5. Prepare the ground for Russian mil activity in both the UKR and the Baltic states. If Russia wants,it could intervene in the UKR to legitimately protect millions of Russian-speaking people,crush the failed state of the UKR were the oligarchs are now in the throes of infighting,and take over most of the country. Any US/NATO naval forces in the Black Sea trying to intyervene will have short,exciting lives!
6.Arm Iran to the hilt. This is going to be a definite step. Russia will need to strengthen the Iranian mil machine so that its flanks can be protected.It will also allow Iran to further support the rebels in Yemen and keep the Saudi/Arab coalition-(to be led by a Paki general!) fully engaged and unable to support ISIS or the FSA,etc. in a meaningful manner.
7.Mil action against the US if Russian mil personnel are casualties.This last is the most volatile of all,but may happen sooner rather than later if Trump continues to "trumpet".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 73426.html
US air strikes in Syria: Missile attack sparks new chill for US and Russia
Tensions between the two superpowers have ratcheted up to a combustible level
Kim Sengupta Joe Watts 13 hours

Dozens of Tomahawk cruise missiles were launched from two US Navy ships in the Mediterranean US Navy
The air strikes ordered by Donald Trump on Syria have made one of the most vicious wars in recent years even more volatile, raising the spectre of a confrontation between the world's two most powerful international military powers.

The launch of 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles from the USS Porter and USS Ross at Sharyat airbase, supposedly used for the chemical attack by the regime on Idlib, was an operation limited in scope. But what then unfolded has ratcheted up tension between the US and Russia to a combustible level.

Moscow suspended the communication system under which the US and Russia exchange information on operations to avoid inadvertent clashes between their respective forces in Syria. Vladimir Putin, who denounced the air strikes, as an “illegal act of aggression” also ordered the frigate, Admiral Grigorovitch, armed with cruise missiles, to move from the Black Sea to the Syrian port of Tartus and for a fresh batch of the S-400 and S-300 surface-to-air missiles, which are already stationed in Syria in large numbers, to be sent to protect Russian and regime forces.

READ MORE
US threatens further military action against Syrian regime
Pentagon 'probing if Russia participated in chemical weapons attack'
Donald Trump's air strikes on Syria could be a 'set piece': analyst
Would the Government back military intervention after US air strikes?
The Kremlin accused Mr Trump of abandoning his election campaign pledge to form a common front in Syria against terrorism. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said: “Instead of the previously touted idea of a joint fight against the main enemy – Islamic State – the Trump administration has shown that it will carry out a fierce battle against the lawful government of Syria”.

The developments came on a day when:

- The US envoy to the UN, Nikki Haley, said America was “prepared to do more if necessary” and would not stand by while chemical weapons were used
- The Pentagon said it was investigating whether Russia took part in the chemical weapons attacked that killed up to 100 civilians in Idlib on Tuesday
- The UK Government said it “fully supported” President Trump’s air strikes
- The Russian Prime Minister, Dmitry Medvedev, warned the US strike came “within an inch” of sparking military clashes with his country’s forces
- The governor of Homs province claimed that the American strikes killed seven people, including four children

The Russians did not activate their anti-aircraft missiles during the Idlib air strikes, but the angry stance taken by Moscow was seen as sending a message that further assaults on its Syrian allies may not be treated with such forbearance.

Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said the missiles came 'within inches' of his country's forces (Getty)
“Vladimir Putin has built up a reputation as a tough leader who stands by his friends. He cannot maintain that reputation if he allows repeated American air strikes on Assad’s forces: the Trump administration needs to be careful about that,“ said Robert Emerson, a security analyst.

The Syrian opposition expressed hope that the attack will be the first of many. Mohamed Alloush, a senior official of the Jaish al Islam militia, said “hitting one airbase is not enough, there are 26 airbases that target civilians”. Saleh Khatib, an activist, demanded to know “What is the difference between Bashar murdering a hundred people with Sarin and burning them to death with barrel bombs? Stopping his planes from flying will stop people, women, children, being killed. Surely, the Americans must know that.”

US airstrikes in Syria: How the world reacted
The Pentagon stated that further military strikes by the US would not be necessary as long as Bashar al-Assad’s regime desisted from using chemical and biological weapons. It stated that all attempts had been made to ensure there were no Russian casualties. “There are Russians at the base and we took extraordinary precautions to not target areas where the Russians are”, said spokesman Captain Jeff Davis. However, Rex Tillerson, the Secretary of State, was unaware of this, adding to a sense of confusion in the decision-making process in Washington. He insisted “there were no discussions or prior contacts, nor had there been any since the attack with Moscow”.

The level of accusations and recriminations rose through the day and the US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, lashed out at the Syrian regime and its backers, Iran, as well as Russia. President Assad, she said: “Is not the only guilty party The Iranian government bears a significant responsibility. The Russian government also bears considerable responsibility. Every time Assad has crossed the line of human decency, Russia has stood beside him.”

“The world is waiting for the Russian government to act responsibly in Syria. The world is waiting for Russia to reconsider its misplaced alliance with Bashar al-Assad. The United States will no longer wait. Those days are over. The US took a very measured step last night. We are prepared to do more but we hope that will not be necessary.”

Bashar Jaafari, Syria’s ambassador to the UN, accused the US of a “barbaric and flagrant act. This treacherous act of aggression is a grave violation of the charter of the United Nations as well as all international laws and norms,” he said.

António Guterres, the UN Secretary-General, urged restraint and appealed for the warring nations to pursue a political, rather than military solution to the crisis in Syria.

But the mood continued to be belligerent and combative. “Russia and Iran won’t be quiet against such acts which violate interests of the region, we cannot tolerate that”, said Allaeddin Boroujerdi, head of parliamentary committee on national security in Tehran.

In Moscow, Major-General Igor Konashenkov, defence minister spokesman, warned that Russia would “strengthen the Syrian air defence system and increase the efficiency to protect Syria’s most sensitive infrastructure facilities as quickly as possible”.

But a former head of the British Army has said US missile strikes against the Assad regime could provide an opportunity to push Russia towards a negotiated peace in Syria.

Richard Dannatt told The Independent the display of American military might had demonstrated the US was now prepared to act and show leadership in Syria.

Ex-Defence Secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind agreed, claiming the unexpected US attack could fundamentally change Russian and Syrian decision making in the Syrian conflict.

The pair were speaking ahead of high-profile meetings between Western and Russian diplomats, including a trip by Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson to Moscow next week.

Lord Dannatt said the missile strikes were “the right thing to do”, adding: “It says that Donald Trump is not Barrack Obama.

“That’s actually quite reassuring, Trump has been banging on about ‘America first’ and all the rest of it, but it actually shows that the world’s most powerful country and most economically successful country is willing to show a bit of leadership.”

He added: “Diplomacy is always better when it is backed up by strength. The velvet glove needs to have an iron fist within it.

“So I don’t think this should take us in to further military activity inevitably, but should take us more enthusiastically to Geneva around the conference table. Donald Trump needs to think very carefully what he’s next going to say to Vladimir Putin, who is a bit stuck on this.”

The head of the army between 2006 and 2009 argued that the Russian President’s diplomatic and political credibility had been damaged by Assad’s use of chemical weapons, given that the country had vouched for the regime’s claim that they were all destroyed.

READ MORE
Tomahawk missiles have significance beyond their precision and power
Sir Malcom said that the military action had created a platform for a new diplomatic push against Moscow.

He said: “The Russians have seriously miscalculated. It would have been much smarter for them to say ‘we are appalled and we will make sure this cannot happen again’, that’s what they did in 2013.

“They didn’t say Syria doesn’t have chemical weapons, they said to Obama we can do a deal, we can get rid of them.”

The ex-cabinet minister said the last thing Moscow wants is a military confrontation with the United States in Syria and up to now Mr Putin had assumed he could avoid one.

But Sir Malcolm added: “Now they are in a mess because they had thought that by vetoing in the UN Security Council, that would in practise prevent the Americans from doing anything. That has been shown to be a false assumption.”

Mr Johnson will head to Moscow within days on a trip that had been scheduled before the US action. His trip will be followed by one from US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson later in the week.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

PS:Putin's mastercard. Deploy Russian nuclear tipped missiles in Syria. This will be the equiv. of another Cuban missile crisis,with Russian N-missiles so close to Israel.Russia can then extract a "no-strikes against Syria" deal from the US/NATO for withdrawal of the N-missiles.

He already has his N-powered and N-armed battlecruiser in the vicinity,but stationing N-BMs in Syria under Russian control would render them immune to Israeli attack-unless the Israelis and the Arab supporters of ISIS/FSA wish to take the fast flight to paradise! Russian N-missiles would be required to guarantee the sovereignty of the Syrian regime and insurance policy against any ground invasion/intervention by US-led forces .True,Israel has a very competent ABM Arrow system in place,but the land mass is so tiny that even one N-missile getting through would devastate the entire country.

The real winners in this crisis are ISIS who appear to be getting off the hook.Where is Trump's valiant call for an international coalition to destroy it? is this the trailer for WW3?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
Kremlin warns the U.S. it is 'on the verge of a military clash with Russia' as President Trump says he will hit Syria AGAIN after his attack on Putin's ally Assad triggers new fears of World War Three
Kremlin tells U.S. it is 'one step from war'

Take your best shot, Donald: Syrian warplanes take off from airbase targeted by US cruise missiles just hours later as Assad mounted new attacks on town he gassed
Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev denounced Donald Trump for attacking 'the legitimate government of Syria' and for
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

PETER OBORNE: Theresa May is at risk of copying Blair's poodle-like subservience to America and I don't share the Foreign Office hawks' joy over the US missile attack
By Peter Oborne For The Daily Mail
PUBLISHED: 00:38 BST, 8 April 2017

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z4dddWGGN4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Since depth of baltic sea only 80 mts the sole active typhoon sub is being sent for surfaced training cruise fron artic sea to baltic via denmark strait

Germans poles and the swedes must be scared at the thought of this elderly sub with its creaky reactors and liquid fuel icbms with n warheads sailing close to their heartland. If it explodes or sinks there will be a tough situation

Shows even a rusty asset can be a psyops play. Its literally too big to fail lol