Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Prem »

From Twitter by Akash Marathe

VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Yours truly with the men who man the bear: https://twitter.com/VishalJolapara/stat ... 0114009091
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:Yours truly with the men who man the bear: https://twitter.com/VishalJolapara/stat ... 0114009091
Thank you Magnificent.

Any interesting tid bits from their years with the bears Vishal ?
Anything odd , any weird rescue helped out with.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

I return to Mumbai after 3 of the most phenomenal days at Rajali.
Bagful of tid bits, lifetime of memories and pictures which will define the time of the Tupolevs with Hindustan long after I'm gone.

A lot of the chai pe charchas we had there with the army of men who are invested in that machine in so many ways probably have to stay गोपनीय

Let Kapil spill the beans he's a better storyteller than me in this regard and he can filter better :-)
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Please tell me you got some air-air pictures :)

ImageSKAT Patch by Sriram, on Flickr
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Mujahideens! Thoko salaam to this wafadaar sevak of the NauSena under the nakshatra http://www.airliners.net/photo/India-Na ... -E/4301461 Image
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^Brilliant! That's going to be my new desktop background.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^Ditto here. Even my family is sick of seeing LCA and Sukhoi as my desktop background for decades
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

What a picture Vishal !
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Prasad wrote:Please tell me you got some air-air pictures :)
Not for now but, InshaSachin
nachiket wrote:^^Brilliant! That's going to be my new desktop background.
shiv wrote:^^Ditto here. Even my family is sick of seeing LCA and Sukhoi as my desktop background for decades
Gagan wrote:What a picture Vishal !
Thank You Nachiket, Shiv & Gagan

Here's the encore: https://flic.kr/p/Sr5ae6 enjoy :wink:
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^Brilliant Vishal. I hope I am right on this one. Pretty sure its a long exposure shot. Vishal, can you please share the details of the shot? F stop and exposure time settings? Apart from ISO count, if possible.

Anyways, one can observe the grass blades movement by the blurs. Simplee awesome!!
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Zynda wrote:^^Brilliant Vishal. I hope I am right on this one. Pretty sure its a long exposure shot.
Thanks & You think¿ :D

f9 | 210 seconds | ISO 200 - for the Bear & not for the star trails.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/India-Na ... -E/4301461 is f6.3 | 30 secs | ISO 400
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:
Zynda wrote:^^Brilliant Vishal. I hope I am right on this one. Pretty sure its a long exposure shot.
Thanks & You think¿ :D

f9 | 210 seconds | ISO 200 - for the Bear & not for the star trails.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/India-Na ... -E/4301461 is f6.3 | 30 secs | ISO 400
Interesting that EXIF info does not have these, but other metadata. Are you scrubbing them Vishal?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

yes
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Vishal
How high do u go on the ISO for a low light shot?
Is the ISO the determining factor or exposure time for u?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

NOTE TO MODS: sorry for the haraam lambi charcha & my violation of the no charcha niti. You can kindly kut-pest the above post & this one in the sahi dhaga > viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6858&start=200
Gagan wrote:How high do u go on the ISO for a low light shot?
Lowest if the subject will be stationary for the perceived duration of the exposure.
I've lost a lot of shots as I traditionally preferred the low grain, low ISO, long exposures when trying to shoot aircrafts at Mumbai. However, with better cameras, camera sensors, lenses and a little courage I now don't mind going higher in terms of the ISO.

How high is difficult to answer as that depends on the situation.

This for example, was a moment that wouldn't recur and so I went all the way up to ISO 4000 1/40th f3.5
Anet dosen't really like grain and I had little to no hope they'll accept the shot but the headscreeners deliberated on it for a fair bit and considering the challenges, the shot was accepted. Went on to be the Top Shot on the site, win the Photographers Choice Award and all those generous comments below the picture, blah..blah..blah...
Gagan wrote:Is the ISO the determining factor or exposure time for u?
Latter, as i'll set the ISO depending on how long I think the camera will expose the shot for.
It also depends on how important the shot is and how I want it.

For example, at Aero India once the flight displays are done you get fabulous inbound traffic of Avro 748s, Do228s, An32s, Prithvirajs and the once plentiful, now endangered Gajrajs in sweet slant dusk lighting. (FYI, this entire Aero India only ONE Gajraj gave darshan and it made its presence felt 8), in previous shows there'd be one a day - minimum)

Anyways, when this happens, I have the option to freeze the frame (high ISO, high shutter speed/shorter exposure) or get silky, delicious, (yet very risky as if your technique isn't upto par you end up with a blurry useless shot) buttery smooth panning shots (low ISO, low shutter speed/longer exposure).
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Vishal, that's an excellent set of pictures!
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Vishal, thanks for the info. Last question on this topic from me. I am sure you are so experienced by now that its almost intuitive for you about which f-stop, exposure, ISO etc. might give you a good shot. But for amateurs like us, is there a thumb rule and/or quick formula we can use? Especially while trying to capture fast moving and/or rare occasions like planes, birds, animals etc?

The fit & finish of the Su-35 looks awesome!
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

So heres a rule of thumb. For fast jets in daylight, shutter speed priority with shutter speed set at 1/1500s should be a very good starting point. The camera will adjust aperture. Newer dslrs also have auto iso. But on a reasonably sunny day, you can set your ISO at 100/200 and be done with it.

On overcast days, you can shoot a few trial shots to determine a reasonable ISO so that your apertures don't venture into crazy territory i.e. > f10. Thing to watch for on overcast days is vapour cones. They can make for dramatic images.

ImageIMG_7720 copy by Sriram, on Flickr

For prop driven planes, its always nice to see a bit of blur in the props. So keeping your shutter speed at 1/150s is a good starting point. practice practice practice your panning. And be prepared to throw out a lot of your pictures to find that one or two sharp pictures. Do not balk at throwing out non-sharp pictures. You'll only get better if you want better pictures :)
A full disc is always nice though
ImageHTT40 Taxiing by Sriram, on Flickr

Next up is choppers. Start at 1/60s. You'll get a full disc. But you might get one sharp picture out of 200. But it'll be oh so worth it.

Practice practice practice. Also, IS/VR is your friend :)

Birds are a whole heap more unpredictable than planes. So a high enough shutter speed is good to stop motion. But birds are also nicer to see, even in flight, with context. So background blurring in case of greenery in the background or reasonably in focus for stuff like bees or doing a touch and go over water like kingfishers or storks etc will be a decision to be taken depending on situation. Your aperture will help, as will panning, again depending on the situation. Be ready to bump up ISO though. Situations during birding are rarely very cooperative. But LR and capture one have pretty decent noise reduction. Having a noisier than ideal picture is better than no picture.

Hope that helps.

Oh one more thing. During airshows, you might have air display teams doing a fast pass where two planes come at each other from either side and pass. If you pan, following one plane from one side, it'll be better to bump up the shutter speed to 1/2500s or higher so that you get minimal motion blur on the other plane. Something like this -
ImageIMG_7004 copy_2 by Sriram, on Flickr

Not quite indian mil but works as an example :)
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Zynda wrote:Vishal, thanks for the info. Last question on this topic from me.
You're welcome!
Please feel free to ask as many questions a you like. Just that, I wouldn't like to violate the sanctity of this thread as this is the thread I post the most to.
In other words, I wouldn't like the mods to sunav me or anyone :mrgreen: so we can continue the discussion in the Camera and Photography Thread: viewtopic.php?p=2142342#p2142342 I've posted my reply there and I request the mods to pls cut-paste the entire discussion from Gagan's first post on this page till now chronologically onto there.

Cheers - VJ
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Nausainik Sea King on the stern of Viraat, for the very last time: http://www.airliners.net/photo/India-Na ... 2B/4316655
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Jawans patrol during a crackdown to flush out militants in Shopian on Thursday.
Anant
BRFite

Post by Anant »

Went to the naval museum in Goa. Took lots of photos including ship insignia etc. Any hoster where I can post them? Thank you.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Naval aviation museum ? Nice place.

This would be good place or maybe Military History thread.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

jamwal wrote:Image

Jawans patrol during a crackdown to flush out militants in Shopian on Thursday.
Why the white cross on the Patka. ?
Anant
BRFite

Post by Anant »

Amazing what you can see, boarding in Goa :)

IL-38 May headed on patrol.

https://flic.kr/p/Uyr9L4
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

>>>Why the white cross on the Patka. ?<<

Unit Identification Codes. Allows Battlefield Commanders in managing troop deployment. Usually happens when there is more than 1 unit (battalion/regiment) deployed in an operation.

You will often see Markings in Red / Yellow etc. Like this

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ I had read that it is a kind of crude IFF since many of the Pakis started wearing the similar olive greens and also with civilian CAT/Ikhwans also in the mix.

Usually, each unit going into a op get randomly assigned one symbol just before the operation and it is sent to all units over secure comms so that the enemy doesnt know it in case he is wearing same clothes and can safely be tagged as a "red force"/saffron bandit/whatever
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

@Sum - You could be right but as far as I was told its for Identification purposes when multiple units converge in a single op so helps in C&C.

I have seen Pictures of Soldiers wearing more than one colour.

PS. I have never seen Para's, J&K SOG, or RR Cdo units use these markings though.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

New C-130 KC-3807 from second batch

SajeevJino
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SajeevJino »

front Closeup ....that IRST

srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

RAF Jaguar with ASRAAM
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

My Latest Photos:

Dawn from the starboard wing of IN317: http://www.airliners.net/photo/India-Na ... -E/4358631

Dusk from the cockpit window of IN317: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8587005
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Just stumbled upon this from 1 March 1979. Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Jal Cursetji bids farewell to the Navy after 41 years of distinguished service. Admiral RL Pereira takes over as the new Naval Chief: : https://youtu.be/f32iBWFosSQ?t=8m15s
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Kakarat wrote:New C-130 KC-3807 from second batch

Did we get all 7 ( 6+1 replacement ) 130Js of second batch ?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Karthik S wrote: Did we get all 7 ( 6+1 replacement ) 130Js of second batch ?
You know the regs and their order - http://www.scramble.nl/military-database/india
Prithwiraj
BRFite

Post by Prithwiraj »

Unique visitor -- Israeli Air Force 707 with refueling probe from Mumbai to Australia.. I never knew that refueling tankers have full passenger aircraft like windows.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Nailed that sucker on its flight back to the promised land 8) : http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel-A ... 4391491/L/
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

PC: LF