Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

Post by Karthik S »

Any idea which locos will be used to haul tejas.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Only yesterday I said that the Tejas train was in danger of being turned into damaged goods. Well here it is:

Tejas windows broken while it left the station. Typical!
https://t.co/wqdnLVmsXj?amp=1
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Firstly, kudos to IR for what looks to be a slick premium contemporary offering. At least, they are trying.

Now to IR's customers. I predict, in less than 6 months some :

- screens will be missing (buy a ticket take a screen home model )
- screens will be shattered (hit by bags, boxes and the weapons that pass off as women's hand bags these days )
- screens will be unhinged and dangling (yeh kitna pucca hai dehken to zara)
- screens will flicker so badly that it won't be practical to use them
- balance screens will have a yucky mucky sticky gooey layer deposited by the indulgent kids with sticky fingers poking the screens with parents watching with doting eyes.
- at least one screen, maybe more will,have a Railneer water bottle somehow stuffed in the tiny gap between the backside of the screen and the chair it is fixed. It will worthy of a Phd thesis to figure out how in the world could any mortal,manage this feat.
- seats will be in permanently in recline mode, some in upright mode and some will oscillate between the 2 modes depending on whether I should train is accelerating or braking. IR Should just use stock aircraft seats which are designed to,take abuse instead of the existing Khadi Gramudyog type jugaad seats that rarely work properly.
- the auto doors will be in permanently open position (to increase GDP growth by assisting entry and egrees by hawkers )
-DDM will confuse Tejas trains and Tejas LCA and some very interesting reporting will follow which will cause pages of angst on BRF

The IR has goofed up. tejas should first haven been introduced from Buxar to Mughalserai :)

Anyone, noticed the irritating high pitched noise near the kitchen ? I think, it is from the Thyristors running the electronics. Sure to drive the attendants and smokers who will gather in that space crazy.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

The Executive Class fare in Tejas has been fixed at Rs 2,540 without food and Rs 2,940 with food. The Chair Car fare is Rs 1,850 with food and Rs 1,220 without food.
What is the current shatabdi fare for Mumbai to Goa?
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

12051 is a Jan Shatabdi. CC (highest class) fare is Rs 940.

11085 double decker is Rs 840

22119 Tejas fare is Rs 1310 but as you would expect big diff in facilities between the 2 trains.

The diff in scheduled arrival times between Tejas and Jan Shatabdi is 10 minutes ( Tejas is faster)
Last edited by rahulm on 21 May 2017 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

The pricing looks expensive. Amtrak fare from San Jose to LA for a distance of 450 km is 20$. But I guess there must be a lot of demand with a billion people. I don't see why there should such a huge difference between a normal train and an ac chair. A non executive AC chair car accommodates the same number of people as a general compartment. The only difference is the AC. Why should the price be thrice or four times then? Too much cross subsidizing which might ending up not generating the expected demand. A 600 to 800 rupee fare is more reasonable while I believe 400-500 will still be immensely profitable for the railways. The middle class will still feel the pinch with the proposed prices.

The heating facility for food in each coach looks hard to maintain. People will be spilling food all over and those trays and heating slots need to be cleaned regularly.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

The middle class is flying into Goa. Mostly, students are taking the train/bus. I think Tejas patronage will be good. The CC fare is about the same as a 'NEETA VOLVO TOWARDS THE WORLD CLASS' overnight sleeper fare. The over night bus does save you a day but you arrive with your bones re-organised.

Karmali, its last and only stop,in Goa is in central Goa and less than 20 kms from Panaji

I feel a fair % of the flight crowd will,patronise this train. Saves the hassle at Mumbai and Dabolim airport which is in South Goa. It's a pain, time consuming and costs way too much to get to Panaji and the northern beaches from Dabolim.

Tejas leaves early AM and brings you into Goa in time for for a fish curry lunch. It's perfect. IR Has got the schedule right, if the KR single track obliges.

I am surprised the train doesn't stop at either Pernem or Thivim. I predict a 2 min half at either or both these stations in the future.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

prices need to be high if the services are good - and modern. People need to pay to allow for good services.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Tejas Express set to begin maiden journey tomorrow; Here are top features of the luxurious train

Posting some gems
The high-speed rake is capable of running at the speed of 200 kmph
It includes modern amenities like onboard infotainment like Wi-Fi,......
Coaches is of LHB coaches .......
:)
GPS bases passenger information display system.....
According to the fare-chart released by the railways, its rates are there times higher than other trains like Jan Shatabdi express running on the similar route
The railways had maintained due to better facilities it’s rates would be 20 per cent more than a Shatabdi train catering to different destinations
[Does this sentence make any sense ? ]
With wider choices like croissant and French fries in breakfast and lachcha paratha and chicken kolhapuri for the main course, train meals are not going to be boring any more.
let's hope the Le Croissant is edible. It might taste like Goan pao in which case it would be a clever camouflage.

There was a time, my school teacher used to encourage me to read newspapers to improve my English. Not good advice anymore.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

This is a premium train with better facilities and services. Plus the coaches are more expensive. So don't expect garib rath fares. Also if you want to pay pennies you will get crap. The onus is now on IR to maintain these trains. As India moves to a high middle income country our trains and services should reflect that.
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

Lucknow - mumbai AC superfast derails between lko-kanpur. Being an lhb train. thankfully no injuries or worse. And this is the route that the next tejas lko - new delhi announced in budget is supposed to ply on from july.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

rahulm wrote:Firstly, kudos to IR for what looks to be a slick premium contemporary offering. At least, they are trying.

Now to IR's customers. I predict, in less than 6 months some :
Why wait 6 months saar. Check this out:

Break in India: Windows of new Tejas Express damaged en route Mumbai from Delhi

The train has not even been flagged off to complete its first journey and the windows of Tejas Express have already been damaged by miscreants.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

^^ When I see such things, I feel Indians don't really deserve nice things. So much work and resources goes into making india modern (by this govt, contrary to the looting and providing 3rd grade stuff by previous regime). And people just destroy it like it doesn't matter.

Very disturbing.
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

OMG you guys dont understand anything..

It is the broken window theory of economic development, these stone throwers know what they are doing.
These are not just random acts of vandalism.

see here, krugman;
http://www.aei.org/publication/paul-kru ... -strength/
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

This has nothing to do with the broken window fallacy. Is it possible that these stone pelters were paid to destroy NM's image of being a developer? Sure. Could it be that these are people who aren't getting what they feel "entitled to"? Sure. Where is the need to break windows to create employment when IR is expanding and renovating at a pace never seen in the history of india?

It is just a bunch of thugs either acting on their own or paid for by someone to dent NM's image. At the end of the day, none of it matters because India as a society loses out because we cannot have something that although is a "luxury" in india is just normal service in a developed country. Will these people ever be caught and prosecuted? Chances are somewhere between zero and nil. Until people face the consequences of their action, they will not change - simply because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain (even if that gain is mere "entertainment" or thrill in destroying public property)
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

JohnTitor wrote:This has nothing to do with the broken window fallacy. Is it possible that these stone pelters were paid to destroy NM's image of being a developer? Sure. Could it be that these are people who aren't getting what they feel "entitled to"? Sure. Where is the need to break windows to create employment when IR is expanding and renovating at a pace never seen in the history of india?

It is just a bunch of thugs either acting on their own or paid for by someone to dent NM's image. At the end of the day, none of it matters because India as a society loses out because we cannot have something that although is a "luxury" in india is just normal service in a developed country. Will these people ever be caught and prosecuted? Chances are somewhere between zero and nil. Until people face the consequences of their action, they will not change - simply because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain (even if that gain is mere "entertainment" or thrill in destroying public property)
I think this is reading too much into it. It is a common occurance in indian railways. Normally for entertainment purpose or when a certain section feels justified in illegally forcing a train to stop at a passing through station. Happened with me once when Gomti superfast was passing through shikohabad/firozabad with local college students throwing stones. Today it has become a daily passenger with too many stoppages.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Around 20 years ago, I was a kid and i had to travel frequently between Bangalore and Mysore. I remember vividly that meter gauge line was freshly converted to broad gauge one. Just after leaving BLR station, the train passes through a slum (which I think exists even today) and the young boys would throw stones at the trains just for fun. All the passengers used to close the windows with metal shutters. Even the parents justified the action of young boys. Further, the boys would just disappear with in the slums if the train came to a halt and on-board RPF wanted to curb. No amount of complaints helped since the "community" had political patronage. There were instances of even train guards getting injured. Once or twice, even the engine drivers got injured. Anyways, I dunno if its a problem even now.
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

Glass breaking is a good omen (shagun) before the start of a good work (mamma told). So cheer up guys :D .
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Good that HSR is on elevated track.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

From SSC

Are we going to build training line, IIRC we'll be send quite a few number of people to get training in Japan. Also, aren't they built for testing new tech such as Maglev ?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Sending to Japan will work initially, but we'll need our own facilities if we expand the n/w in the future. IR has a pretty robust set of training schools across the country for various roles, it's only logical that they add an HSR facility as well.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

The first phase of tunneling under the Hooghly river for Kolkata metro has been completed as in TBM has moved to the other side. This is first for India as was Kol metro.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

JohnTitor wrote:This has nothing to do with the broken window fallacy. Is it possible that these stone pelters were paid to destroy NM's image of being a developer? Sure. Could it be that these are people who aren't getting what they feel "entitled to"? Sure. Where is the need to break windows to create employment when IR is expanding and renovating at a pace never seen in the history of india?

Come on, only a single window was broken. Could very well be a valid reason for it. Things can break.
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

http://pib.nic.in/ndagov/Infrastructure/i8.pdf

Modi sets 3 yrs for jammu-Baramulla Railway project
Asks railway to link Srinagar, Kargil too
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Cooling Nagpur Platforms Using Mist Creation...temps reduced by 15 deg C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkyJ2pARlLo

Brilliant idea
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the coach attendant must come down the aisle and make sure everyone hands their headphones in before destination. it is enforced in airlines and moreoever they use a unique dual pin jack that will not work in regular devices to ensure there is no value in stealing it unless someone cuts the wires and puts in a regular jack.

people will steal anything that is not welded down and try to damage the rest.

if they want to imitate a airline, they should consult the operational staff of airlines who are well aware of such points.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Ah predictions coming true. I said 6 months. Customers have an accelerated timeframe in mind. For once, we will beat deadlines :) Unfortunately. Sab mere baap ka maal Hai.humko choodke. hum sabke baap hai. Who are you? :mrgreen:

This LCD for every seat and head phones is an outdated concept and a very bad idea.

Even full service air lines are moving to WiFi streaming of content on BYOD.

At the very least, no headphones, only a head phone jack and no speaker on the screen please. Can you imagine the cacophony with people playing different saas babu serials on full volume in the coach ? You want to want to listen? - Bring your own head phones.

Different plug? No,problem saar. I will steal and have my neightbourhood 'Mahalaxmi mobile phone and electronics shoppee' cut the wire and solder a new 3.5 mm plug. You don't know how,smart I am ? :mrgreen:

Nobody shoved a Railneer bottle down the bio-toilet? After all it's a hole and bottles are supposed to go through such holes. Na?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and these were passengers paying a premium ticket ?
I suppose a good segment could be journos,staff,friends n family who snagged a prized ticket?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

I thought there were cameras in the train. Why can't they arrest and charge people who are doing this?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

It could be railway employees too. We don't know yet. We are better off providing with just AC, bio toilets, automatic doors and higher average speed. Emulating flying experience is not required. Society is not evolved enough that people will take care of public property.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Indians are known to be unruly and unhygenic even on flights unless they know there is a danda e.g. the flights from SE Asia and ME I hear are a mess. That is no reason not to giver better services. Better policing is required e.g. there can be marshals on the train precisely for these types of people.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Sell it for couple of hundred rupees. Freebies will always be stolen.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

hahaha

Seriously, I'm sorry to say this but Indians don't deserve good things.

Best to stick with wooden chairs, hole in the floor toilet to go straight onto to tracks, windowless trains etc. Best to leave the good things to "developed" countries (here "developed" refers to people's mentality, not the country).

Passengers on Tejas Express smash LCD screens, soil toilets: We clearly don't understand civic duties
Some passengers on the train had thrashed the LCD screens, stolen the headphones provided to them and had soiled the toilets, reported The Asian Age.

This raises a question about whether we really deserve high-quality facilities like those given on the Tejas Express. After all, if the facilities are anyway going to be vandalised and stolen, the government should rather provide low-quality services to us and then spend the money saved on food, education or employment.
Last edited by JohnTitor on 25 May 2017 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Supratik wrote:Indians are known to be unruly and unhygenic even on flights unless they know there is a danda e.g. the flights from SE Asia and ME I hear are a mess. That is no reason not to giver better services. Better policing is required e.g. there can be marshals on the train precisely for these types of people.
When I travelled to the middle east over a decade ago, I made the mistake of traveling via AI. Let me tell you, when we landed in Blr (and I mean literally touch down), everyone got up and started to take their cabin baggage. A few mins later, the stewards came out with sticks and asked people to sit back down hitting a few people.

Also, I just remembered. The flight I was on, didn't have "headphones" - instead they opted to using a speaker in the armrest with what I can only describe as a stethescope like tube to listen to sound. Because passengers would steal the headphones. I'm guessing it has changed now, but who knows!

I have never flown AI after that. Best to fly with another airline where people listen to white skinned ones, than an indian flight!
Last edited by JohnTitor on 25 May 2017 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

SBajwa wrote:I thought there were cameras in the train. Why can't they arrest and charge people who are doing this?
Maybe those were stolen too
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Or is it that this is all a deliberate ploy to deny the Indian passengers better facilities? What it takes is to put some rowdy elements in such train and try to grab some attention this way and then railway roll back all these facilities and the majority of passengers denied all these facilities. That's also a possibility.
So better is to fix responsibility on each and every item. And they made to pay triple the amount of the things that they damage. What's lacking the punishment angle. It must be severe.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

It is possible. In fact anything is possible for this Congress. All you need to do is send a few rowdies as passengers to discredit the effort.

Having said that I have rarely flown the same airlines to India consecutively. So it has nothing to do with AI. But you will have passengers farting, toilets trashed and smelling like rancid and rotten tomatoes, people puking with too much drink, etc.

I think Marshals with a visible danda will do the trick.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Or is it that this is all a deliberate ploy to deny the Indian passengers better facilities? What it takes is to put some rowdy elements in such train and try to grab some attention this way and then railway roll back all these facilities and the majority of passengers denied all these facilities. That's also a possibility.
Lets not kid ourselves. That is definitely NOT the case.

You see this sort of behaviour all over the country in every place. Be it public toilets, public busses, public roads etc. In fact, brand new volvo busses in karnataka become "old" in a matter of days, with seats torn, windows busted and and floors sticky. Though to be fair, KSrTC is much better than APSRTC, all relatively speaking ofcourse.

Fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, the Indian mentality won't allow for "better facilities". I feel a lot of this stems from the fact that these people don't pay any taxes and therefore have no feeling of "ownership"
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Singha wrote:the coach attendant must come down the aisle and make sure everyone hands their headphones in before destination. it is enforced in airlines and moreoever they use a unique dual pin jack that will not work in regular devices to ensure there is no value in stealing it unless someone cuts the wires and puts in a regular jack.

people will steal anything that is not welded down and try to damage the rest.

if they want to imitate a airline, they should consult the operational staff of airlines who are well aware of such points.
i got cheap ear phones on Emirates and they told me to keep it at the end of the flight. its wastefull but saves the trouble of collecting and repackaging