R.I.P. Shri K.P.S. Gill, 1935-2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

The man who single-handedly oversaw the demise of the Khalistan terrorist insurgency is no more.

We have honored the heroes of India's National Security apparatus here before, including B. Raman and K. Subrahmanyan. I think Shri K. P. S. Gill deserves a commemoration as well.

Besides mourning, let us try to use this thread as a repository of all we could learn from the departed guru.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Re: R.I.P. Shri K.P.S. Gill, 1935-2017

Post by fanne »

Prabhu apki Atma ko sadgati de!!
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

You did well Sir! You led a good fight. Thank You. Aap amar hain!
Bheeshma
BRFite

Post by Bheeshma »

RIP..
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

KPS was the man who finally got Terrorism under control in Punjab.
Gill was the first one who wanted Police to rule the nights in Punjab and it worked. An eye for an eye and a relative for a relative was his mantra.
May he be freed of this cycle of life and death.

PS: Why use RIP for a dharmic soul ?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

May Waheguru give eternal peace to the departed soul!
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

A total, unapologetic patriot.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Thank you Sir. May you attain Moksha
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

May his soul attain moksha.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Though hard man, he saved many Punjabi lives including few of my close relatives. May he Attain Moksha Reserved for Warrior.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Shri KPS Gill, IPS did what was needed at a particularly difficult period for Bharat. It needed a tough person to put in tough measures and to see it through. We were fortunate that he got the backing that he needed. A great cop!

I pray that His soul attains Moksha.
brvarsh
BRFite

Post by brvarsh »

KPS Gill's biggest achievement was to identify that Militants always operated with in 10ish Kms of where they lived. The rest was his efficient execution of trace and neutralize. He has left his legacy written in Gold in the Indian history. Salute!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

May his Atma attain Moksha!!!
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Salute to a hero who was a leader in a very difficult situation.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Salute and Rest in Peace sir. A real hero of India.
Bhurishravas
BRFite

Post by Bhurishravas »

Salute and respects to a real man.
RIP KPS GILL
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life ... 147737.cms

K.P.S. Gill, the supercop who crushed terrorism in Punjab, gives a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister and Bharatiya Janata Party's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for the 2002 riots in this book.

Gets your attention, doesn't it?

The book quotes Gill as saying that he was "moved with his (Modi's) sincerity".

Gill was appointed security advisor to Modi during the 2002 riots -- and it was a decision that worked.

He is quoted as saying that "...through the pages of this book I want to make it clear to one and all that Modi was never communal in his conduct during this whole mayhem".

Gill's praise for Modi practically eclipses Rahul Chandan's effort to pen this book on Kanwar Pal Singh Gill, better known as K.P.S. Gill, who is willing to challenge the system for the larger good, an official who stands by his juniors, an official who takes on his superiors and is frank enough to call a spade a spade.

The author has focussed soft light on Gill's persona, highlighting his strengths. It is an attempt to showcase his chequered career, practically without blemishes. Incident after incident only go on to strengthen the nagging doubt that perhaps the writer, like many others, got carried away by Gill's strong personality.

Gill was undoubtedly a supercop. He was one of the few men in khaki who were an inspiration. But surely he must have his foibles. One hardly gets any insight into that.

He spent a good number of years in Assam before moving to Punjab where the situation needed his unwavering attention.

Gill is quoted in the book as saying that "one of the factors that had led to the emergence of militancy in Punjab was high-level complicity of New Delhi. Eager to consolidate its political hold over the state, the ruling party at the centre was prepared to ignore political violence when it served to intimidate opposition parties at the state level. This gave a kind of encouragement to the acts of terrorism".

K.P.S. Gill was an honest, brave, highly efficient and upright officer - attributes which every police officer in this country must have. He is a national hero in a way, but some would wish that he had not been deified.

From Assam to Punjab to Gujarat. He was pan India top Cop!
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Waheguru Ji K P S Gill Ji Ki Atma ko Moksha, Mukti, Nirvan aur Shanto Pradhan Kijiay.

May his Soul Rest in Eternal Peace

Cheers Image
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

Rest in peace you brave son of mother India.

"Is namard desh mein paida mujhe kyon kar kiya" Not anymore.

Proud to be born in a country that gave birth to a son like you. Jai hind.
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

Punjab was a bigger mess than Kashmir. K P S did what was required. If I recall correctly, he even sent police teams outside Punjab to eliminate terrorists. Thank you Sir... May you attain Moksha.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

He understood the enemy and fought the proper way in that battle to defeat the enemy. You surrender or you die. You will not be treated like a common criminal. I remember long back when they had published top 20 terrorists and most of them are in fact dead as he targetted these top of the scumbags and then really went after them. Police who went after the terrorists at the cost of their own life got rewarded with promotions. Very few may remember now in those days seeing a half a dozen or dozen killed by terrorist every day in the new papers is a common thing. No one in Delhi really cared at that time. From that level he brought normalcy. Involved Village Panchayaths and the Armed Tractors like ideas were used.

We were discussing national integration day after day and how it was under threat all the time then. Now we do not. He is responsible for that.

Given or not by GoI he is a Ratna came out of mother Bharati.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

RIP Sir ...salute to the brave son of this nation.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Pranam sir . . . .may your soul attain moksha. You single-handedly contributed a lot for the safety, security & sovereignty of this land. Will be remembered gratefully for ever.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Salute to a national hero. Moksham prapti rastu.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

thank you sir for all the heroic deeds done to keep our motherland safe and in one piece.
remarkable how he saved Punjab from terror. kudos to him and his team and political leadership which backed him to the hilt.
hope school textbooks have a chapter on this hero.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

True hero who served the nation. RIP
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

certainly more worthy and deserving of the Bharat Ratna than some cricketing creep.

our national sensibilities and ideas of true public service is lopsided, to say the very least.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

An empire builder...to say the least. Remember him running CRPF and Punjab police together at one time.

Country men can sleep in peace because of people like you.

Farewell sir.....R.I.P.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Thank you and farewell Sir.
May you reach the lotus feet of the sargun Lord.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

May you achieve Moksha sir.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

May India be blessed with many more such sons. May God grant strength to the family to bear this loss and peace to the departed soul.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

Every time one good Indic dies, he manages to take one terrorist with him.
Thackrey - Kasab
Kalam - AfzalGuru
KPS Gill - Sabzar Ahmad
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

RIP sir, the great son of India.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Mixed legacy at best

Effective in punjab with armed terrorism

Brutality in assam on democratic protests against bangladeshi influx...just to do what uphold the congi regime right to hold a boycotted election to put bd loving regime congis in power..the same regime brf rants against 24x7 now ...shame shame...serving the crook hiteswar saikia

Rupan deol bajaj case...

He is not a rahul dravid or anil kumble who played with a straight bat for the nation all their lives.
manish singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by manish singh »

May his jivatman attain parmatman.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote:Mixed legacy at best

Effective in punjab with armed terrorism

Brutality in assam on democratic protests against bangladeshi influx...just to do what uphold the congi regime right to hold a boycotted election to put bd loving regime congis in power..the same regime brf rants against 24x7 now ...shame shame...serving the crook hiteswar saikia

Rupan deol bajaj case...

He is not a rahul dravid or anil kumble who played with a straight bat for the nation all their lives.
Like many strong men he was a polarizing character and had some deep strengths and deep flaws. People who play with a straight bat cannot do things like eradicate terrorism so decisively. It's not a job for clean shaven chocolate box hero types, it requires the personality and sometimes finesse of a warthog - tenacious, tough, brutal. In some ways he reminds me of my grandfather (the tiger ramming one, not the gentle computer inventing one).
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

RIP. No man's legacy can be entirely untarnished. By my lights he was a great, great man and a particular hero of mine.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

kps-gill-passes-away-at-82-supercop-scripted-own-doctrine
Kunwar Pal Singh Gill, who passed away at 82 on Friday morning in New Delhi after battling kidney and heart disease for several years, earned a national reputation for stamping out the Khalistan insurgency at a time when many had given up Punjab as lost. His colleagues in the Indian Police Service, though, today recalled an officer with an exceptional talent for leadership during crisis, and a willingness to experiment with radical new strategies to fight terrorism.
“He was honest to core where money was concerned, and a man of immense courage, the courage of a lion,” recalled E N Rammohan, former Director General of the Border Security Force who served under Gill for the first time in 1969. Less than three weeks ago, sources said, Gill had written to Home Minister Rajnath Singh, informing him of the advanced stage of his illness, and asking that the security cover he had been granted be extended to his wife after his death.
Though deeply contentious because of human rights abuses and extra-judicial abuses that that took place under his watch, the numbers leave little room for doubt of Gill’s success. From 1981 when the Khalistan insurgency began to 1989 when Gill ended his first tenure as Director-General of Police, 5,521 people were killed by terrorists, including 451 police officers.
Gill’s major successes included commanding Operation Black Thunder in 1988 — an operation which demonstrated terrorists could have been flushed out of the Golden Temple in 1984 without massive loss of life, and its devastating political fallout.
Gill was, however, removed by Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar Singh’s government, in a bid to facilitate negotiations with Khalistan groups. In the event, the two years that followed were a disaster: 1990-1991 saw over 6000 deaths, including those of 973 police officers. Gill was brought back, in the midst of the chaos, to supervise the holding of the 1992 elections which would see Beant Singh elected Chief Minister.
From a peak of 5,265 fatalities in 1991, deaths fell to 3,883 in 1992, 871 in 1993, 78 in 1994, and just 11 in 1995 — the year that, by most historical reckonings, the Khalistan insurgency was for all practical purposes annihilated.
“I think what truly distinguished Gill was his ability to think big”, recalls Dinkar Gupta, now Additional Director General of Police in charge of intelligence in Punjab. “Faced with the 1992 elections, he decided, more or less by himself, that we’d get a platoon of police to secure each and every candidate. It was a preposterous idea — but that preposterous idea was implemented, and the end result was we didn’t lose a single candidate”.
The preposterous ideas piled up. Faced with terrorists hiding in high sugarcane fields, which made locating them dangerous business, Gill’s in-house research unit invented the armoured tractor, a crude but effective armoured vehicle that could drive into the slushy fields. Forensic tools and jammers were built from scrap.
Exceptional leadership, contemporaries say, was Gill’s most important skill. “I had just taken charge of my very first district, Hoshiarpur, in 1988, when we had a terrible massacre on Hola Mohalla”, recalls Suresh Arora, now Punjab’s Director General of Police. “Thirty-eight people were killed, and 40 injured. Gill was, I think, Director-General of Police in charge of Operations back then. He arrived but didn’t have word of reproach.”
Instead, Arora says, “Gill was focussed on what we were going to do to find the perpetrators, and prevent future problems. He was always like that: no shouting, no screaming, always focused on the solution, not the problem”.
Few of Gill’s contemporaries deny that human rights abuses — from torture to extra-judicial executions — took place during the Khalistan insurgency. They, however, argue these must be read in context.
“For one,” says a senior officer, “even resources far better trained and resourced than the Punjab Police, like Western forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, have been guilty of the same thing. Perhaps more important, the scale of these atrocities has been exaggerated — there was no burning down of hamlets or massive non-combatant casualties.”
Gill’s real contribution, was, experts believe, to break one of the most hallowed principles of Indian counter-insurgency — that military-led operations, involving large-force saturation of the countryside was the best way to address challenges to the state. Instead, he pioneered a new doctrine, which involved light-footprint offensive operations, based on intelligence-led developed by local police stations.
In one article, Gill pointed to “the classical defects of Army intervention in civil strife — an extraneous and heavily armed force suddenly transported into unfamiliar territory; mistrustful (in this case, exceptionally so) of the local Police and intelligence, but with no independent sources of information; dealing with a population, large elements of which had become hostile; and operating under a political fiat that not only condoned, but emphasised the use of punitive force”.
These, he said, had led to large-scale arrests that “pushed many a young man across the border into the arms of welcoming Pakistani handlers”.
Gill’s ideological hostility to the Sikh religious right-wing — despite his own personal commitment to his faith — was rooted in his experiences of Partition, he would tell friends. Brought up in pre-Partition Lahore, his most stark memory was of his mother giving him a sword, as a teenager, and asking him to execute his sister should a mob attack. Schooled in both Urdu and Persian; after retirement, he would often invite friends for evenings of poetry that would run late into the night.
“I saw what secularism could have been and what communalism did”, he once told this correspondent, “and I was determined not to let it happen in Punjab”.
He was also revered among the Punjab Police’s rank-and-file — famously stirring out of retirement to attend the last rites of Ajit Singh Sandhu, a decorated police officer who committed suicide while facing trial for extra-judicial killings, when the serving Director-General of Police chose not to attend.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

I opened the online edition of toilet paper and in small letters somewhere I saw KPS Gill is no more. I like all others on BRF clicked that as the first news of interest to me. The first thing that went through my mind even before I started reading was this man deserved that Bharat Ratna more than most Indians bestowed with that honor. Waheguru ka Khalsa Waheguru ke Fateh.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

one of the things he did well was to go after the families of the terrorists..the terrorists and their families ran all over india but he hunted them down in different cities.. no one wanted to be a terrorist.. must apply same solution in kashmir..