CT & COIN Operations in India: News, Images and Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: CT and COIN operations in India: News, Images and Discussion

Post by jamwal »

J and K police is a mixed bag for CI operations. It is more or less effective as any other state police in general law enforcement. But terrorism in state makes it very unique.

Local policemen have been accused of supporting terrorists. Infact it was a common narrative in 90s that army was fighting terrorists and police at the same time. Things may have changed a little, but it will be foolhardy to blindly trust kashmiri muslim policemen.

On the other hand, this force has played a ery important role in CI and intelligence gathering to help army too.

SOG are still vital line of defence in many places and the policemen attached work in very harsh conditions including in undercover.

There are hundreds of SPOs who earn a pittance while laying their lives on line everyday.

Some posters who are condoning this incident are more wrong than right. A lot of policemen die regularly by hands of terrorists. It is nothing new or something to be happy about. The policemen killed like that are usually the better ones. A very large number of JK policemen involved in CI are not from Kashmir anyway.

This incident made news probably because of number and rank. It might motivate the policemen in to fighting against the terrorists, but it will be too ambitious to expect the same from local muslims. Majority of the terrorists killed this year have been locals, same stock as the se policemen. In my opinion, call of militant islam is stronger in local populace and it will not turn their opinion against terrorists in any significantl way.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

It is important that Indian Muslims are seen to be fighting and sadly even dying in the fight against Muslim terrorists / jihadis / druggists / jilted-lovers-turned-heroes / wannabe-heroes.
Otherwise rest of the countrymen will keep questioning their loyalties.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Jamwal, I am certainly not condoning policemen dying and I completely agree that the best of the lot have been martyred. Also agree on SOG etc. I was just explaining what Manjgu said.

Re some points of others - Punjab was a different case. There wasn't significant local support as Sikhism and Hindusim are brothers (I always say Sikhs are elder brothers of the hindus). There was completely freedom to go after the terrorists, no human rights BS, no social media, and a IB that could be sealed.

The valley is different - a porus LC because of terrain and also because its much longer, not imposing costs on Pak, social media, media, internet and our media (its easy to underestimate the damage that likes of NDTV have done). And of course the issue of Islam. But this is the interesting thing, radical isalm is not really indegenous to the valley and there wasn't that much of it till the late 90s at least. I have served there in CI Ops, interrogated terrorists and had some idea of whats going on. In fact there was a saying there that if the terrorists were half as brave and 1/4th as motivated as the LTTE we would have lost the valley. But there were foreign muslim terrorists coming in some (not all) of who were heavily indoctrinated and I remember thinking that if Pak can create a pool of highly motivated islamic cannon fodder in the valley we will have a big problem on our hands. The civil administration anyway wasn't great and a lot of work was being done by the army and this has only grown under Op Sadbhavna. So in this vacum we were always open to being outflanked by Pak radicalising young muslims. And its a global phenomena now.

There were so many things we could have done, abrogate article 370 and start resettling the valley from the 90s onwards, new delimitation to get Jammu proper representation in the assembly (Jammu is grossly under represented), impose costs on Pak (we have never done), give a good solid administration (hard because we dont do that anywhere in the country) and start hitting the hurriyat. Instead we experimented with democracy. And democracy and Islam dont mix - Arab spring, Turkey, London Borough of Tower Hamlets are good example. When you let Islam become the narrative then your problems start. Look at Bangladesh.

I don't like JKP being hit but its a fact that the more motivated they are against the terrorist and more we move away from Islam narrative the better it is. Whether it will help in a signifcant way its difficult to say so there I do agree with Jamwal.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

Why are Sikhs considered by some to be the elder brother of Hindus? Sanatana Dharma is way older than Sikhism, so shouldn't it be the other way round?
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Because the elder brother of a sanatan dharm family in Punjab would become a sikh to fight against muslim repression. When Guru Gobind Singh said 'De Shiva bar mohe.......nischay kar apni jeet karon' he was asking Lord Shiva for a vardaan to help him fight the evil that Aurangzeb was perpetraing. Its sad that we dont know this. Just saying sanatan is not good enough...you have to fight for it to protect it. And the Sikhs did. Lord Krishna said this in the Geeta too - no renounciation during a dharam yudh. You have to pick a side and fight.
Last edited by Akshay Kapoor on 18 Jun 2017 12:35, edited 3 times in total.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

Oh okay, I knew about this familial practice but the extrapolation to an entire religion was something I did not consider.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Sikhism was created for one reason only - to fight Islam. For that Guru Gobind Singh had to eliminate the barriers of caste for example, he said 'be soldier saints like our rishis of old'. That's why kesh comes in. He was a big devotee of Lord Shiva - the breaking of identity/class barriers, kesh, leaving aside ornamental trappings and going for the one truth etc are all dear to Lord Shiva. In fact every memory serves right he even wrote a Punjabi work based on the Markendya Puran.
Last edited by Akshay Kapoor on 18 Jun 2017 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

the south kashmir area as u all know if the garh of PDP...their support base..and this is reason JKP and IA are kind of bound on what kind of action they can take in that area..this is why imperative that PDP govt is dismissed ASAP... JKP and IA needs to be give free hand to settle the situation. Mufti wants to protect her home turf for the next election..see I didnt go for Policemen funeral..vote for me !!
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Sikhism was created for one reason only - to fight Islam. For that Guru Gobind Singh had to eliminate the barriers of caste for example, he said 'be soldier saints like our rishis of old'. That's why kesh comes in. He was a big devotee of Lord Shiva - the breaking of caste barriers, kesh, levaing aside ornamental trappings an dgoing for the one truth etc are all dear to Lord Shiva.
OT
my apologies if my understanding is faulty.

what is this "breaking caste barriers".

Did Guru said this word or something else.

By projecting it as "caste" we give ammunition to the already existing caste myths.

end of OT.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

krisna wrote:
Akshay Kapoor wrote:Sikhism was created for one reason only - to fight Islam. For that Guru Gobind Singh had to eliminate the barriers of caste for example, he said 'be soldier saints like our rishis of old'. That's why kesh comes in. He was a big devotee of Lord Shiva - the breaking of caste barriers, kesh, levaing aside ornamental trappings an dgoing for the one truth etc are all dear to Lord Shiva.
OT
my apologies if my understanding is faulty.

what is this "breaking caste barriers".

Did Guru said this word or something else.

By projecting it as "caste" we give ammunition to the already existing caste myths.

end of OT.
Point noted. My post is edited till I can research the exact words of Guru. I'm a great admirer/bhakt of Guru Gobind Singh and Shivaji. They saved our civilisation and were great visionaries, writers, admisntrators and warriors. But enough OT.
Last edited by Akshay Kapoor on 18 Jun 2017 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

^^^^
thanks
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

What are the repurcussions of dismissing the Mehbooba govt ?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The thing is that there are Plenty of local J&K cops from the valley and the neighbouring regions, who are being harassed and killed by the terrorists. They hit back in equal measure, as much as they are allowed to do so by the netas.
But give them a free-er hand, and they will can be really badass. They have all the intel from the galis and slums

The terrorists, going against the police is going to be their undoing
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

no major repurcussions of dismissing PDP govt...what are they doing anyway in name of administration?? its giving tacit support to the terrorists... have to go full throtle against the Pakis,terrorists, OGW's, traders ( who finance the violence), the hurryrats... there is a price of inaction and price of action. right now we are paying price of inaction !!
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

sure, but wont indian media go beserk ? how would people in the valley react ? I agree it needs to be done but do you think there is appetite for it
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

please restrict this thread to CT/COIN only, not larger socio-political issues unless they have a direct relation to the operations.

- Rahul M
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

people in valley would welcome dismissal of PDP govt... sooner or later it will have to be done..with each day the jihadis are getting emboldened... when was last time we heard of an attack by a 15 man jihadi group? continuation of PDP BJP govt has direct impact in fueling violence as S. kashmir is the PDP base and the state govt is soft peddling violence perpetrated by the terrorists.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

expect disturbance to increase as the wannabe jihadis will be emboldened by kriket teams pss poor show.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

:rotfl: Dismissal of pdp-,bjp gobarment ?
Who will it help, why and how ?

Why is everyone thinking that terrorism is worse now ? Has anyone considered that opposition nc is as bad if not worse and many of it's members are wannabe islamist ghazis ?

What is alternative to current regime and how will it help eradicating terrorism ?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

manjgu wrote:this is very good development from a counter insurgency point of view..when local policeman get killed ...
Our men have died. The least you can do is word your sentence properly. The above post is really unfortunate. I am not warning you only because I know you meant something else. But please exercise extreme caution on such sensitive issues.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Indranil wrote:You can still word your sentence more carefully. This is an extremely sensitive issue. Our men have died. Your emotions are spot on. But your sentence is horribly worded.
Which sentence ?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I messed up and forgot to reference the sentence I was talking about. Corrected the post now.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Sikhism was created for one reason only - to fight Islam.
LOLz
very myopical (if that is a word) way of looking at things.

Considering Sikhism started with Guru Nanak and his beloved companions included Bhai Mardana who was a Muslim.
Fighting Mughals who were Muslims turned out to be the one of the last lasting outcomes instead of being a primary reason.
Guru Nanak travelled as far and wide as Mecca and Medina. Trust me he was not on RAW's payroll at that time.
;-)

Many people including Sikhs have this misconception that it was born to fight Islam, those who cannot explain the era of the first FIVE gurus then turn to Guru Gobind Singh as the point of reference where Sikhism was born. Again LOLz.
Sikhism was born with Guru Nanak asking the WHY?
The creation of Khalsa was the second and final military_fication of Sikhism.

So just as jesus was born a Jew, Guru Nanak was born a Hindu.
Sikhism started with Guru Nanak as he could sought to understand the ways as human being first and challenged tradition and customs and everything from Punjab to Antarctica.
And the tradition continued with another 4 or 5 gurus. Sikhs (shishya/ students) as they considered themselves, must have been considered as a sect by Hindus and Muslims and something to be ignored and considered.

This became an issue for the Mughal rulers who then started considering them as a threat due to their growing popularity and unexplainable growth not supported by brutal conversation of the population. The Mughals in DELHI were going 'WTF is going on John' ?

The fifth guru made great strides in compiling the adi granth and so on and the pillars of sikhism were created, installed and solidified. John in DELHI went WTF again. This must have unnerved Delhi seriously. He was arrested and executed.
Thus started the oppression which the sixth guru (son of 5th Guru) decided to fight against and Sikhism was military_fied for the First time.
lets fast forward to the end.

Guru Gobind Singh had a bit of redux thrust upon him as the 9th Guru (father of 10th) was arrested and executed for upholding the rights of Kashmiri Pandits who were being converted.

Now Guru Gobind Singh did a lot more than the 6th Guru in addition to fighting and military manoeuvres, he prepared Sikhsim to transcend many a levels.
He created and floated an identity that would not die without the stewardship of Gurus.
He transferred power from Gurus (mortals) to Guru Granth Sahib (the Holy book) thus again leaving Sikhism strategically independent.

Hope this helps :-)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Nice Post Khalsa. I learnt a lot!

You have redeemed yourself from starting the Single Engine Thread ;)
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

^^^ Thank you Admiral.
:D
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

khalsa ji is right..a) sikhism was part/influenced of/by the bhakti movement ( to challenge the traditions, rituals of the existing religions and also to pick the good things from the existing religions and also to make spiritual pursuit/religion accessible/understandable to all espicially to move away from sanskrit )..the Guru Granth sahib has verses from gurus/spiritual leaders from different religions. b) the sant sipahi metaphor has also dual meaning..one is the straight forward saint/war soldier idea and other one is sipahi as someone who fights the desires/sins ( jisne mun maar daala usi ko soorma kahna). c) though OT ..the 1st guru said in discussion with some other spiritual masters ( sidh purush/men) of the time ..called Sidh gosht ..'shabad guru surat dhun chela' ..the real guru is not me or a human or a book but the true guru is the naam/shabd/word/logos and real sikh/follower/disciple is the surat or the soul. d) even the Granth sahib propogates meditative practice which is similar to the hindu/buddhist meditative practice..which is to raise conciousness from lower chakras to the eye centre/3rd eye/teesra til/ or also called Daswa dwar ( the 10th door)..and to listen to the celestial music( naam) and see the celestial light. the 9 doors are the body orifices/senses which open to the world..the 10th door opens to god..withdraw attention from 9 doors and turn into the 10th door.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

2 terrorists killed... but we had to stop hunting at nightfall

Srinagar: Two militants were today killed in an encounter with security forces in Rafiabad area of Kashmir's Baramulla district, an Army official said.
::
::
A police official said the search operation was halted for the night but the forces maintained the cordon to stop the militants from escaping.

The operation was resumed this morning and the gunfight started after the trapped militants opened fire on the forces, he said.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Halted for night or for iftar ?
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

jamwal wrote:Halted for night or for iftar ?
I would've said for iftar but halting ops at night goes back to the beginning. It forces our troops to forgo a lot of their advantages while giving the terrorists and their supporters a know window of opportunity.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

This has come up for discussion and while there were some good posts on why NVG's might be ineffective in certain conditions the lack of these has been a persistent disadvantage.

I can't get the image up but the link below is a screenshot of a discussion from earlier.

http://imgur.com/Lt1kruO
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Poonch: Two Army jawans killed in attack by Pakistan’s Border Action Team on patrolling party

The basic premise on which Pakistan has based its actions is that they are they crazier ones in the fight and any response by India will result in a catastrophic escalation for which Pakistan is not responsible. Their 'crazier than thou' bluff has to be called... for our sake.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Senior police officer lynched by mob outside Jamia Masjid in Srinagar

It is time to take the gloves off.

Excerpt: :“The officer was on frisking duty at the Jamia Masjid. He was carrying out his duties as usual when the miscreants attacked him,” informed sources told IANS.

“He tried to free himself and even fired in self-defence, injuring three. But the mob managed to lynch him,” the sources said.

Reports said Pandit’s security guards ran away after they found the mob too large to be handle."
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Kashmir should be handled like how Tibet is handled by China, first get the media out and start settling your people
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/mob-lyn ... 279893.cms

Police sources said that Pandith was seen taking pictures of people coming out of Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta area around 3 am on Friday. They said that when people tried to catch Pandith and stop him from taking photos, he allegedly fired several shots from his pistol, injuring three people.

TOI reort somehow trying to justify bloody attackers..

Maybe he filmed something which he was not supposed to..??
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/jk-two- ... 300114.cms

NEW DELHI: One jawan was martyred and two others injured after heavily armed terrorists attacked Central Reserve Police Force's (CRPF) patrol party in Srinagar's Pantha Chowk area on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/srinaga ... 310864.cms

SRINAGAR: Security forces on Sunday gunned down two terrorists holed up inside a school on the outskirts of Srinagar, ending an encounter of over 14 hours in which two Army men were also injured.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

According to a journalist in Kashmir, it was Para SF who cleared out the terrorists from DPS school. If I am not wrong, this is the one located just outside the main Srinagar city. It is one of very few schools which has managed to provide comparatively uninterrupted schooling in the region for past 2-3 years.
"The enemy has a nefarious design that the school buildings are destroyed and children have nothing to study and ultimately abandon their studies, which we will ensure that no such thing happens," the state police chief said.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

Cross border trade of various goods is long known to be major source of funding for local terrorists and separists.. We should not let single grain of salt to be traded accross LOC.. Local traders should be better integrated with rest of country instead.. Pakis want to disturb schools/ loot banks / provide escorts to hiding militants through stone pelters.. This can be limited to great extent by shutting down their major funding pathway..
We are loosing good men while each successive govt is busy in promoting cross border trade and giving protection to separists..
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

X-post

Apparently a big operation under way in the heart of Maoist stronghold.
ANI‏@ANI_news
Getting ground inputs of 20 naxals killed in #Tondamarka encounter;forces bravely confronted them in naxals' stronghold:DIG Bastar Sundarraj.
ANI‏@ANI_news
Operation in this core area had never taken place, ops were planned based on inputs by security forces & intelligence agencies: Sukma SP
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/more-tha ... ma-1716812
Raipur: More than 12 Maoists have been killed in a massive anti-Maoist operation launched jointly by the Chhattisgarh Police and CRPF (Central Reserved Police Force) in Sukma district today. Three jawans have also died in Operation Prahar, said DM Awasthi, a senior officer connected with the anti-Maoist operations in the state. The exchange of fire had gone on for 12 hours.

Operation Prahar is one of the biggest operations aimed at flushing out the Maoists hiding in forests of Tondamarka, an area located in the Maoist stronghold of the state's Sukma, where a Maoist attack had claimed the lives of 25 securitymen in April.

The 56-hour long operation had started on Saturday. More than 1,500 security personnel took part in the operation.

"More than a dozen Naxals have died in this operation. All the bodies could not be recovered due to heavy firing, which lasted for approximately 12 hours. It was the first initiative of its kind," Mr Awasthi said.
Reports said the Maoist casualties included Korsa Mahesh, a senior operative who would disguise himself as a police officer. A self-loading rifle was recovered from his possession.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/encount ... 395577.cms

NEW DELHI: Two terrorists, including a top Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander, were killed after an hours-long standoff with security forces in Dailgam village in Jammu and Kashmir's Anantnag district
Earlier in the day, security forces launched cordon and search operations in the Brenti-Batpora area, acting on intelligence on the presence of terrorists in the area.