India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by Hari Seldon »

Reg desi role incl boots-on-ground in Afg'n, not happening till we have clear access to Afg'n.

And that can only be via Iran's Chabahar port. But that would require unkil dance with Iran's current regime. Or otherwise facilitate the same.

Till then its all maya, chai-biskoot and lukewarm gas only.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Hari Seldon wrote:Reg desi role incl boots-on-ground in Afg'n, not happening till we have clear access to Afg'n.

And that can only be via Iran's Chabahar port. But that would require unkil dance with Iran's current regime. Or otherwise facilitate the same.

Till then its all maya, chai-biskoot and lukewarm gas only.
That about through POK?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I am totally against our boots on Afghan soil.Spl forces perhaps,not regs. Every nation that has warred there has got bogged down ,suffered heavy casualties and paid an enormous sum as well.US trillions. We don't have that kind of money.It's better to give the Afghan govt. weapons,training and some aid, We had an earlier deal where Russia provided the weaponry and we paid for it.Closer intel relationship and use of Afghan intel in covert ops in Pak reqd.

It is far better that our regular troops fight to protect Indian soil,Indian lives and repel adventurous invaders like the Chinese and Pakis.WE need them securing our borders esp. at this juncture where we may have to fight on "2.5 fronts".

Iran. Relationship vital to outflank Pak. Shiite Iran is a natural enemy of Pak. We can retain the relationship by refusing to kowtow to US demands as if they are unwilling to sanction Pak,why should we suffer? Our demand should be v.v.clear.Pak declared a terrorist state,total sanctions ,arms,aid,banks,individuals,etc.What the Saudis are doing to Qatar. That might make a difference,except that Iran is not hurting us whatsoever,while Pak is hurting the US too.

We are circumventing US ploys to penalise Russia in Indo_Ru deals,by getting a govermental guarantee,not bank guarantees,as the US has sanctions Ru banks. Same strategy to be used with deals with Iran.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

As I had before the Modi Trump meeting, we'll be fortunate to get away with a few scratches on our face but that will be the end of it. H1B visa issue is one such thorn but it is nothing that can be resolved over time.

We are in okay shape...vis a vis the US, regardless of what losers like McCain say in Pakiland. One more reason why Trump as president is turning out to be better than that banshee........
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Philip wrote:I am totally against our boots on Afghan soil.Spl forces perhaps,not regs. Every nation that has warred there has got bogged down ,suffered heavy casualties and paid an enormous sum as well.US trillions. We don't have that kind of money.It's better to give the Afghan govt. weapons,training and some aid, We had an earlier deal where Russia provided the weaponry and we paid for it.Closer intel relationship and use of Afghan intel in covert ops in Pak reqd.

It is far better that our regular troops fight to protect Indian soil,Indian lives and repel adventurous invaders like the Chinese and Pakis.WE need them securing our borders esp. at this juncture where we may have to fight on "2.5 fronts".

Iran. Relationship vital to outflank Pak. Shiite Iran is a natural enemy of Pak. We can retain the relationship by refusing to kowtow to US demands as if they are unwilling to sanction Pak,why should we suffer? Our demand should be v.v.clear.Pak declared a terrorist state,total sanctions ,arms,aid,banks,individuals,etc.What the Saudis are doing to Qatar. That might make a difference,except that Iran is not hurting us whatsoever,while Pak is hurting the US too.

We are circumventing US ploys to penalise Russia in Indo_Ru deals,by getting a govermental guarantee,not bank guarantees,as the US has sanctions Ru banks. Same strategy to be used with deals with Iran.
i would gradually start to discount iran and pull away from these ungrateful aholes.

they seem to have a false and much hyped up civilizational superiority complex vis a vis the Indians who they look down upon.

The fact that we defied US sanctions for them means little to them

shia, sunni is ok but when push comes to shove, its muslim against all and we should not forget this and romanticize ourselves into a false sense of safety.

to them we are the kafirs.

nothing more than kafirs with money and the market for their extremely sour and low-grade oil.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Well I dont what does this mean, will DSCA put it on its website now?

'US state dept issues Guardian drone export license for India'
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

they seem to have a false and much hyped up civilizational superiority complex vis a vis the Indians who they look down upon.

Notice how Iranis never fail to mention their great Persian civilisation, including their leaders.

When was the last time a European or Chinese or Indian leader did the same in self reference. It would be contemptible but they need to be indulged, like children. And no, Iran has never produced anything of consequence to global cultural history. (Name one).
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

And also don't forget that "westernized" Iranians have this massive TSP RAPE alike TFTA complex over us SDREs. Believe me, I have seen it first hand in my association with Iranians in US.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

That as opinion is widespread in the wastes of the 'Middle East'.

I demonstrated some small measure of competence once, upon which a semiliterate Lebanese Muslim female asked me if I was Egyptian/Arab whatever. My response was 'Indian', the poor semiliterate was bemused and said 'essentially you must be Muslim'.

No I'm afraid not and I thank the 303 million devatas individually for the favour.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

sanjaykumar wrote:That as opinion is widespread in the wastes of the 'Middle East'.

I demonstrated some small measure of competence once, upon which a semiliterate Lebanese Muslim female asked me if I was Egyptian/Arab whatever. My response was 'Indian', the poor semiliterate was bemused and said essentially 'you must be Muslim'.

No I'm afraid not and I thank the 303 million devatas individually for the favour.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Turki?

Then where did Shah Pahlavi get his noor e arya title? (I kid you not).
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Like Pakis, I think Iranians too are a confused nation torn between Islamic, Shia and Persian identity all existing simultaneously while all 3 of them are at conflict with one another or Islamic Arab identity.
On top the current regime which is against the inherent nature of Abdul Iranian adds to the internal conflict.
amritk
BRFite

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions I

Post by amritk »

There's hardly any modern country that is not confused about identities. Maybe the Russians, maybe the Chinese, maybe the Australians. Maybe a couple more countries like Japan or Switzerland. The US has a plenty strong inner jihad waging to figure out what it wants to be.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

This is a definite advancement in Indo-US relations,especially in the context of ongoing Chinese aggro . in the mountains and the IOR.The sooner the deal is sealed and the SGs start arriving,the better it will be.One important factor to also note is that we're not ttoally dependent upon the US for UAV/UCAVs,as Israel has been supplying us with the same for a long time.The SGs will complement the inventory of Israeli systems and any desi systems that we might finally induct.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/opinion/u ... 5IEBN.html
US offer of Sea Guardian drones to India signals converging strategic interests
Rhetorical ambitions must be translated into tangible progress and both countries must work more closely on mutually beneficial efforts

OPINION Updated: Jul 05, 2017
Jon Schaus
An MQ-9 Reaper remotely piloted drone aircraft performs aerial manoeuvres. (File photo for representative purposes)(REUTERS)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Washington last week was clearly an effort by both Modi and United States President Donald Trump to demonstrate that India-US ties remain strong and continue to deepen. The repeated embraces — three by most counts — serve as a visual reminder the continued closeness between the two countries.

The joint statement presents a range of issues where India and the US will work more closely.
One item stood out as particularly important: The US “offered for India’s consideration the sale of Sea Guardian Unmanned Aerial Systems.” This is significant for three reasons.

From submarines to warships: How Chinese navy is expanding its footprint in Indian Ocean
First, if India and the US are able to reach an agreement on a deal for this type of an unmanned aerial system (UAS), it could mark the first transfer by the US of such a system to a non-ally country. The Sea Guardian, a large payload, long-endurance UAS platform is a variant of the Predator UAS system used by the US military and department of homeland security. The unarmed Sea Guardian is designed to provide advanced surveillance capability for maritime and littoral missions — an increasingly important mission for India as it seeks to play a larger role in securing the sea lines of communication in the Indian Ocean.

Second, in announcing this offer to India, Trump effectively signalled that the US has staked out a new policy position in India’s favour regarding potential constraints imposed under the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR). This voluntary arms control agreement calls for a “strong presumption of denial”, for transfers of large UAS to other member-states. The regime, of which both India and the US are members, was established to limit the proliferation of missile technology (including UAS) that could deliver weapons of mass destruction. The Sea Guardian falls into the most tightly constrained Category I under MTCR.

While there are good arguments for decoupling UAS from the MTCR, it is not clear that US policymakers has resolved that debate for exports globally, nor has the discussion been broached in a significant way across the range of the MTCR member-countries. This significant step in India’s favour should not be overlooked.

Third, in offering India Sea Guardians, the US recognises that India is a maritime partner and the interests of both nations are aligning. Should India choose the Sea Guardian for its maritime surveillance missions, it would enable even greater cooperation.

As India and the US work to deepen bilateral ties, a necessary condition will be aligned — or at least more closely aligning — interests. Over the past two Indian administrations, and now on to the third consecutive US presidential administration, we are seeing that.

Equally important, however, will be continuing to find concrete areas of cooperation where rhetorical ambitions are translated into tangible progress and both countries working more closely together on mutually beneficial efforts. In offering a large unmanned maritime patrol aircraft, the two leaders have achieved just that.

John Schaus is fellow, International Security Programme, Center for Strategic and International Studies
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Philip, Please inquire of your sea community, can the Guardians be used over land also? Will US keep tab on how they are used? What happens if one of them is used overland near Arabian Sea?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Layman question.... What is the difference between herons and sea guardians. Seems like endurance is similar.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^+ sensors etc - ( Guardians are equipped with marine search radar, electro-optical infrared optimized for maritime etc .. but their land versions are not really that different ..some are used in US for both purposes - jointly with US coast-guard and U.S. Customs and Border Protection covering, for example, Florida and Texas.

(BTW Most likely India is getting armed drones from Israel)
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Hmm, makes sense. Thanks AmberG garu.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://zeenews.india.com/india/amid-chi ... 21817.html
Amid China's increasing presence in Indian Ocean, India, US, Japan to begin Malabar exercise Friday
India, Japan and the US are to deploy their front-line warships, submarines and aircraft for the mega Malabar naval exercise.
Chennai: Amid China's increasing presence in the Indian Ocean, India, Japan and the US are to deploy their front-line warships, submarines and aircraft for the mega Malabar naval exercise that kicks off in the Bay of Bengal from Friday with a focus on anti-submarine warfare.
The July 7-17 exercise comes amid reports of Chinese warships in the Indian Ocean Region in the name of anti-piracy operations, and Beijing's aggressive posturing in the South China Sea.
Malabar is a joint exercise between India and US, which now has Japan as a permanent partner. Australia wanted to participate as an observer this year but was not included, following reservations by China.
With focus on anti-submarine warfare, the exercise will see Maritime Patrol and Anti-Submarine Warfare Aircraft P8-I from India and P-8A Poseidon aircraft from the US work together.
The front-line ships set to participate in the exercise that has evoked sharp reactions from China in the past include India's aircraft carrier - the 45,400 tonne INS Vikramaditya - a modified Russian Kiev-class aircraft carrier, and the American 100,020 tonne super carrier USS Nimitz that can carry 90 fixed wing aircraft and helicopters.
Gautam
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Ramana,SGs are maritime versions of the Predator,long endurance,large payload,etc. One is sure that it can also attack land targets-all reqd, is for the target spotting by sats,etc., data transferred to the SG and boom! There would be no point in acquiring it like puppets on a string. We may have some inspections to see that the tech. hasn't been secretly tampered with.transferred to another country for instance.

However,the del with Israel,thus far our most important supplier of UAV/UCAVs ,naval Herons,etc.,Mr. M must've asked for Heron TP UCAVs,with which we'll be able to carry out strikes against terror land targets.
After India became a part of Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) in 2016, the road to acquire the drones was cleared. The drone was at display at the AeroIndia show in Bengaluru in February.
Also called as Eitan drug, the Heron TP-armed drones, manufactured by Israel Aerospace Industries, can help India in cross-border strikes with less potential damage to the personnel. The drones are also capable of detecting, tracking and taking down targets with air to ground missiles.
According to the website of Israel Aerospace Industries, Heron-TP is an advanced, Medium Altutude Long Endurnace (MALE) drone that can fly upto an altitude of 45,000 feet. The drone has an all-weather capablity making it perfect for combat at all times. It has an endurance of over 30 hours and can usually carry a payload of not more than 1,000 kgs. The drone is also in compliant with the ATOL (Automatic Taxi-Takeoff-Landing) system and is also compatible with NATO standards.
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... s-4735276/
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Japan is bringing their flagship Izumo to malabar
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ump-215339
How China Misread Donald Trump
There are some problems that “good chemistry” just can’t solve. At a surprisingly cheerful summit meeting at Mar-a-Lago in April, Chinese President Xi Jinping seemed to find Donald Trump’s sweet spot. Xi said they “cemented their mutual trust”; Trump called Xi a “terrific person” and hailed their “good chemistry together,” predicting that “lots of potentially bad problems will go away.”
But one of those bad problems isn’t going anywhere, and as a result, Trump’s view of China is quickly turning sour. The reason for his dwindling patience is Beijing’s failure to rein in North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s nuclear program and escalating series of missile tests, the latest being an intercontinental ballistic missile that might someday carry a nuclear payload that could hit the continental United States. “Trade between China and North Korea grew almost 40% in the first quarter,” Trump tweeted on Wednesday. “So much for China working with us - but we had to give it a try!”
China seems not to have appreciated how fortunate it was that Trump’s China policy has focused overwhelmingly on North Korea, rather than on its unfair trade and investment policies and its aggressive military expansion in the Asia-Pacific. For China’s interests, this has meant free rein on most other issues of concern—an extraordinary opportunity that it has squandered by not responding more effectively to what Trump wanted on this single front. Now, Trump is ratcheting up the pressure on China on multiple fronts at once.
Trump seems rightly to have determined that China isn’t doing enough on North Korea.
Monday’s missile test came months after the president tweeted that a North Korean ICBM “won’t happen” on his watch. North Korea is destabilizing Asia and is now posing a pressing security threat to the U.S. itself. China has more leverage and must do more. So the Trump administration has rolled out various new measures that Beijing has deplored: “secondary sanctions” on a Chinese bank, shipping company and two company officials for involvement in money laundering to aid North Korea; a new $1.42 billion arms sale to Taiwan; more assertive naval operations in the South China Sea; and the high-level release of a State Department report accusing China of being one of the worst-offending countries on human trafficking.
The Chinese miscalculated with Trump in two ways related to North Korea. First, China failed to take significant concrete steps for which Trump could claim credit. China’s announced suspension of coal imports from North Korea, a substantial punishment of North Korea, took place before the Mar-a-Lago summit and in response to United Nations resolutions—and this is a president who needs to be able to take personal credit for concrete things.
On this score, what should China have done, and would that have made a difference? Let’s simply take the case of the sanctions the U.S. has just imposed on two Chinese entities for pro-North Korean money laundering. We must assume China was informed about the specific U.S. concerns related to these institutions and given information to support those concerns. So informed, China should have stepped up and gone after those companies itself.
The two entities are small, so China would not have lost face by cracking down on them. Most important, going after them would not have brought into play China’s most fundamental strategic concern regarding North Korea: that tightening the screws enough to freeze its nuclear program and bring it to the bargaining table would jeopardize the survival of what Beijing views as a buffer state. The unusual step of going after some Chinese nationals for money laundering that helps finance North Korea would have responded to Trump’s overtures at little cost to China and demonstrated that China was prepared to put new pressure on the North Korean regime.
The second Chinese miscalculation was to assume that Trump would be patient in waiting for concrete steps and results from China on North Korea. One of China’s finest international relations scholars, Professor Shi Yinhong, was quoted the other day as saying, “The latest situation [has] illustrated that Trump is a leader without patience.” Indeed. But this lesson should have been learned long ago. Not only has Trump said repeatedly that “the era of strategic patience with the North Korean regime has failed”—he is characteristically an impatient person. Chinese diplomats are exquisitely skilled in tactics of delay, but the more valuable skill in dealing with Trump is managing his impatience.
So Beijing misread Trump. But since North Korea’s July 4 missile test prompted a Trump tweet still holding out the prospect that China would make a “heavy move” on Pyongyang, perhaps Beijing will see an opportunity to correct its blunder. Trump has repeatedly signaled that his patience with China is wearing thin, yet he appears to have no viable alternative to demanding that Xi bring Kim to heel. The two leaders may have an opportunity to clarify matters on the sidelines of the G-20 meeting in Hamburg.
Gautam
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The Emperor of Eyeran was called AryaMehr
Aʿlāhazrat Homāyuni Šāhanšāh Āryāmehr Bozorg Arteštārān
With medals and scabbard to match. Wow! Imagine trying to "go" #2 with THAT outfit! :eek: :shock:
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

UlanBatoriji,
Are you kidding? Emperors, especially Shah-'n-Shahs do not go #2.
Gautam
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

g.sarkar wrote:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ump-215339
How China Misread Donald Trump
There are some problems that “good chemistry” just can’t solve. At a surprisingly cheerful summit meeting at Mar-a-Lago in April, Chinese President Xi Jinping seemed to find Donald Trump’s sweet spot. Xi said they “cemented their mutual trust”; Trump called Xi a “terrific person” and hailed their “good chemistry together,” predicting that “lots of potentially bad problems will go away.”
But one of those bad problems isn’t going anywhere, and as a result, Trump’s view of China is quickly turning sour. The reason for his dwindling patience is Beijing’s failure to rein in North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s nuclear program and escalating series of missile tests, the latest being an intercontinental ballistic missile that might someday carry a nuclear payload that could hit the continental United States. “Trade between China and North Korea grew almost 40% in the first quarter,” Trump tweeted on Wednesday. “So much for China working with us - but we had to give it a try!”
China seems not to have appreciated how fortunate it was that Trump’s China policy has focused overwhelmingly on North Korea, rather than on its unfair trade and investment policies and its aggressive military expansion in the Asia-Pacific. For China’s interests, this has meant free rein on most other issues of concern—an extraordinary opportunity that it has squandered by not responding more effectively to what Trump wanted on this single front. Now, Trump is ratcheting up the pressure on China on multiple fronts at once.
Trump seems rightly to have determined that China isn’t doing enough on North Korea.
Monday’s missile test came months after the president tweeted that a North Korean ICBM “won’t happen” on his watch. North Korea is destabilizing Asia and is now posing a pressing security threat to the U.S. itself. China has more leverage and must do more. So the Trump administration has rolled out various new measures that Beijing has deplored: “secondary sanctions” on a Chinese bank, shipping company and two company officials for involvement in money laundering to aid North Korea; a new $1.42 billion arms sale to Taiwan; more assertive naval operations in the South China Sea; and the high-level release of a State Department report accusing China of being one of the worst-offending countries on human trafficking.
The Chinese miscalculated with Trump in two ways related to North Korea. First, China failed to take significant concrete steps for which Trump could claim credit. China’s announced suspension of coal imports from North Korea, a substantial punishment of North Korea, took place before the Mar-a-Lago summit and in response to United Nations resolutions—and this is a president who needs to be able to take personal credit for concrete things.
On this score, what should China have done, and would that have made a difference? Let’s simply take the case of the sanctions the U.S. has just imposed on two Chinese entities for pro-North Korean money laundering. We must assume China was informed about the specific U.S. concerns related to these institutions and given information to support those concerns. So informed, China should have stepped up and gone after those companies itself.
The two entities are small, so China would not have lost face by cracking down on them. Most important, going after them would not have brought into play China’s most fundamental strategic concern regarding North Korea: that tightening the screws enough to freeze its nuclear program and bring it to the bargaining table would jeopardize the survival of what Beijing views as a buffer state. The unusual step of going after some Chinese nationals for money laundering that helps finance North Korea would have responded to Trump’s overtures at little cost to China and demonstrated that China was prepared to put new pressure on the North Korean regime.
The second Chinese miscalculation was to assume that Trump would be patient in waiting for concrete steps and results from China on North Korea. One of China’s finest international relations scholars, Professor Shi Yinhong, was quoted the other day as saying, “The latest situation [has] illustrated that Trump is a leader without patience.” Indeed. But this lesson should have been learned long ago. Not only has Trump said repeatedly that “the era of strategic patience with the North Korean regime has failed”—he is characteristically an impatient person. Chinese diplomats are exquisitely skilled in tactics of delay, but the more valuable skill in dealing with Trump is managing his impatience.
So Beijing misread Trump. But since North Korea’s July 4 missile test prompted a Trump tweet still holding out the prospect that China would make a “heavy move” on Pyongyang, perhaps Beijing will see an opportunity to correct its blunder. Trump has repeatedly signaled that his patience with China is wearing thin, yet he appears to have no viable alternative to demanding that Xi bring Kim to heel. The two leaders may have an opportunity to clarify matters on the sidelines of the G-20 meeting in Hamburg.
Gautam

All rogue regimes like pakis,chinese are same. These rogues need some weak ass buffer state
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Not sure where to post this, but it is imp news:

Donald Trump Jr. was told in an email that material damaging to Hillary Clinton was part of a Russian government effort to aid his father

Humty Dumpty .....
WASHINGTON — Before arranging a meeting with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer he believed would offer him compromising information about Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump Jr. was informed in an email that the material was part of a Russian government effort to aid his father’s candidacy, according to three people with knowledge of the email.

The email to the younger Mr. Trump was sent by Rob Goldstone, a publicist and former British tabloid reporter who helped broker the June 2016 meeting. In a statement on Sunday, Mr. Trump acknowledged that he was interested in receiving damaging information about Mrs. Clinton, but gave no indication that he thought the lawyer might have been a Kremlin proxy.

Mr. Goldstone’s message, as described to The New York Times by the three people, indicates that the Russian government was the source of the potentially damaging information. It does not elaborate on the wider effort by Moscow to help the Trump campaign. There is no evidence to suggest that the promised damaging information was related to Russian government computer hacking that led to the release of thousands of Democratic National Committee emails.

But the email is likely to be of keen interest to the Justice Department and congressional investigators, who are examining whether any of President Trump’s associates colluded with the Russian government to disrupt last year’s election. American intelligence agencies have determined that the Russian government attempted to sway the election in favor of Mr. Trump.

Continue reading the main story
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

^^^ How does this relate to India-US relations ?
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

They will know that we stand together': US Commander in apparent reference to China
Unperturbed by Beijing's protests and what can be seen as an attempt to check China's aggressive posturing in the region, navies of US, Japan and India are carrying out the Malabar Naval Exercise-2017, which began on Monday.
Aimed at strengthening the military ties between the three nations, the exercise will see participation of 16 ships, two submarines and more than 95 aircraft. An Indian Navy statement said that the exercise will go a long way in strengthening mutual confidence and inter-operability as well as sharing of best practices between the Indian, Japanese and US Navies. In an apparent reference to China, TOI quoted a US commander as saying that the exercise would have a significant impact on India's eastern neighbour. "They will know that we are standing together and that it is better to stand together," TOI quoted the US commander as saying.
Gautam
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

To Boost Defence Ties With India, US House Clears Over $600 Billion Bill
WASHINGTON: The US House of Representatives has passed a USD 621.5 billion defence policy bill that proposes to advance defence cooperation with India.

An amendment in this regard, moved by Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera, was adopted by a voice vote by the House as part of the National Defense Authorisation Act (NDAA) 2018, beginning October 1 this year. NDAA-2018 was passed by the House 344-81
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Looks like ddmitis, the 621.5 $B is the whole bill for US needs, the India component is pretty limited., nevertheless its good.

SEC. 12l. STRATEGY TO FURTHER UNITED STATES-INDIA DEFENSE
COOPERATION.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 180 days after the date of the
enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Defense, in consultation
with the Secretary of State, shall develop a strategy for advancing
defense cooperation between the United States and India.
(b) ELEMENTS.—The strategy shall address the following:
(1) Common security challenges.
(2) The role of United States partners and allies in the
United States-India defense relationship.
(3) The role of the Defense Technology and Trade Initiative.
(4) How to advance the Communications Interoperability and
Security Memorandum of Agreement and the Basic Exchange
and Cooperation Agreement for Geospatial Cooperation.
(5) Any other matters the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary
of State determines to be appropriate.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/622 ... -well.html
'India, US bureaucracies not well-aligned on issue of defence trade'
he trajectory of Indo-US defence ties is "incredibly positive" but the bureaucracies in the two countries are not "well-aligned" on the issue of defence trade, a senior US defence official has said.
Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia Cara Abercrombie said that India and US need to work together to ensure the acquisition policies do not unfairly disqualify American companies while meeting India's interests.
Abercrombie noted that while the India-US defence relation trajectory is "incredibly positive" and the two nations have just "scratched the surface" of the potential of defence and security and there is still work to be done.
"Fundamentally when it comes to defence trade, our bureaucracies are not well aligned. The US defence export system evolved over many decades during the Cold War. The Indian system is looking at itself now as a major major arms importer and a major major defence capabilities developer in its own right," she said.
Abercrombie added that India is naturally thinking that as a buyer it gets to set the rules, a thinking that is "fundamentally" different from US export rules.
"So we are carefully working through this," she said, adding that the two nations have established the Defence Trade and Technology Initiative to look at ways to "align our bureaucracies to overcome that because at the end of the day we do want to cooperate and do not want these things to act as an impediment and inadvertently undermine our ability to cooperate together".
She also stressed that in its desire to work together in areas of security and stability, the US would like to see the Indian government working with it "in partnership to ensure that the acquisition policies don't disadvantage US companies just because we cannot get the lowest price or because we are so transparent we give you the full price for the next 30 years and it looks appallingly high or the tech transfer looks a little bit too challenging".
She said the US would like to be able to "sit down at the front end and ensure that the acquisition process is fair and meets India’s intent and interests but does not unfairly disqualify or disadvantage (US) companies".
India used to purchase from the USSR at friendship prices, which meant at lower than market prices. USA will also sell at friendship prices, but it will mean higher than market prices. Indian Babus have to forget their old habit and learn not to set the rules, and above all buy from the US companies even though not at the lowest prices. In this business with the US as the seller will set the rules. If this is done, we can cooperate.
Gautam
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Trump's Surprisingly Strong Start With India

Thomas Pickering and Atman Trivedi on Project Syndicate, July 19 2017

https://www.project-syndicate.org/comme ... di-2017-07
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

NRao, Looks like you miss the Understanding US thread.

Why are you posting non related stuff here?

If I reopen the thread it becomes free for all to dump all sorts of anti-Trump posts.

Now you are doing the same here.
Clean up.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

G.Sarkar look at the BAE M-777 deal.
In 2010 the deal cost was $450M
In 2016 when it was signed it cost almost1.6 that.

Ref in case some one jumps up and says proof!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M777_howitzer
The Indian Army has also announced plans to acquire 145 guns for ₹30 billion (US$466 million),[42] but purchase plans were overtaken when the procurement process was restarted in July 2010. India's Ministry of Defence cleared the proposal for buying 145 guns for US$660 million on 11 May 2012 through the US Government's Foreign Military Sales (FMS) process.[43] This was put up before the Ministry of Finance for clearance and will subsequently be taken up by the Cabinet Committee on Security for final approval.[44][45] On 2 August 2013, India requested the sale of 145 M777 howitzers for US$885 million.[46] On 24 February 2014 the purchase was again postponed.[47] On 11 May 2014 the purchase was cleared by India's Defence ministry.[48] On 11 July 2014, the Government of India announced that it would not order the guns because of cost issues.[49] On 22 November 2014, the selection process was restarted under the "Make In India" program.[50] On 13 May 2015, The defence ministry approved ₹2,900 crore to buy 145 M777 ultralight howitzers from the US.[51] On 15 December 2015, the Indian Ministry of Defence said it was keen on placing a follow-up order of 500 more M777 guns.[52]

On 26 June 2016, it was announced that 145 guns will be purchased by India for US$750 million.[53] On 30 November 2016 Indian government completed the deal to buy 145 howitzers from the US.[54] The deal was completed in December 2016.[55] Indian Army received 1st batch of two M777 howitzers on 18 May 2017.[56]

India received its first shipment comprising 2 Howitzers on 18 May 2017 in New Delhi from United States in ready to use condition.[57]
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

ramana wrote:G.Sarkar look at the BAE M-777 deal.
In 2010 the deal cost was $450M
In 2016 when it was signed it cost almost1.6 that.

Ref in case some one jumps up and says proof!!!
Wikipedia is not considered a reliable reference and for good reason. No better example than the excerpt you've quoted. Whoever has edited that paragraph took the then rupee value (Rs 3,000 crore) of the contract and divided it by the current dollar exchange rate ($1=Rs 65) instead of the 2010 exchange rate ($1=Rs 45).

You should have gone to the actual newpiece referenced in that quote (#42). Which is this one -

US okays howitzers worth $647 million for India - Jan 28, 2010

Also keep in mind that this was the price quoted for an off-the-shelf delivery while the contract in force today includes local assembly and partial indigenization.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

https://youtu.be/kmQe1tWVBk8

General context RD ji.More detail in my post in next page of this thread.
I didn't find a more relevant thread.

vvv
Last edited by Lilo on 24 Jul 2017 12:17, edited 3 times in total.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

^^^ WTF is that supposed to have to do with India US relations?
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Also I think some one should invite Milo to JNU or Jadavpur or Shastra or IITM - take your pick -
Will be apt foil to congies highjacking Ambedkars anniversary by flying in Martin luther King III who promptly plugs for "Dalit lives matter" (which apes the Violent and extremist Black lives matter movement in US) all the while standing shoulder to shoulder with Rahul Gandhi and assorted congi acolytes in Bengaluru .

Rahul Gandhi , Luther III slam Sangh Parivar
Sowmya Aji | ET Bureau | Updated: Jul 22, 2017, 11:18AM IST

BENGALURU: Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi has alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the RSS were out to 'strangulate' the Constitution and 'rob' every Indian of his 'voice' and 'future'.
Speaking at a conference organised by the Karnataka government to mark the 126th anniversary of BR Ambedkar, Gandhi said, "Modi and the RSS are out to strangle reality. Like what they did to Rohit Vemula and Mohammad Akhlaq, they are out to rob the voice and the future of every Indian. Modi has become an emperor without clothes, but nobody is willing to tell him that. India's freedom was handed over to the British by a few Indians. Modi and the RSS are trying to rob you of the same freedom."

Civil rights activist Martin Luther King III, who was invited for the function, drew parallels between US President Donald Trump and Modi and alleged that both had unleashed "ferocious animosity" which had to be countered by the people by rising up against it. He drew parallels between 'Dalit Lives Matter' and 'Black Lives Matter' movement and the lives, thoughts, struggles and philosophies of his father Martin Luther King Jr and Ambedkar.

King III, a human rights advocate and community activist was speaking at the inauguration of the three-day conference “Quest for equity - Reclaiming social justice, revisiting Ambedkar”, in which around 300 scholars, activists and policymakers will discuss the ideas of Dr BR Ambedkar.

"Like Donald Trump’s campaign, the election of Narendra Modi has unleashed a ferocious animosity against minorities
,” King said drawing unflattering parallel between the two leaders. The government has consistently denied that there is any intolerance in the country

King went on to say that “all those who envisioned a Hindu country were being elected to institutions of democracy in India”. “What goes on in the US goes on in India,” said King, adding that free press was under attack in both countries.
“Regular lynchings have become the new normal. Cow vigilantes lynch Muslims while police stand by,” he added. Attacking the right-wing, he said “reactionary forces which determine socio-economic powers must be resisted”. He recounted the Una cow vigilantism incident, a Mumbai girl’s arrest in 2013 over a Facebook post on the shutdown in the city following Bal Thackeray’s death and other instances to buttress his argument.
In what he termed “a great oversight in American scholarship,” King lamented on the omission of Ambedkar in world history. He said the dalit leader wasn’t as well known outside India as he deserved to be, pointing out how the leader hardly appears in Richard Attenborough’s film ‘Gandhi’. King brought up several similarities between his father, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Ambedkar in their work and ideology.
Drawing another parallel, he said, “What slavery and racism is to the American Civil Rights Movement, and now the Black Lives Matter, untouchability and caste are to the Indian freedom movement.”
“If my father was alive today, he would support the dalit demonstrations and labour strikes in India. The caste system was outlawed 58 years ago, and yet, how much has changed?”
He termed the conference “a watershed moment” in history.

Nobel laureate Kailash Sathyarthi said it was not enough to just remember Dr Ambedkar from time to time. “We must live with Babasaheb inside each of us,” Sathyarthi said.

Prakash Ambedkar, grandson of Dr Ambedkar took on the current dispensation at the Centre, saying that it was needed to reclaim Ambedkar {this is the crux - congies and leftists in India are seeing their sikular identity politic narratives on Ambedkar slipping fast since Dalits are embracing the Hindutva of ordinary pracharaks like Modi ji or Shri Ramnath Kovind and in doing so they are bringing Ambedkar back to Hindutva - from where he was appropriated from in the first place.To stem the tide congies will fund American SJW research on Ambedkar to create new breaking India narratives} because some ground on the social justice front had been lost over the past three years.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

A report in a desi weekly quoting well-known US sources,said that the N-deal was primarily one for "defence deals" for the US,as the US had identified India as having to purchase a lot of mil eqpt. in the near future.That in hindsight can be clearly seen as C-17 orders kept Boeing from shutting its plant down,P-8Is another sweetener and Apaches,Chinooks.BAe howitzers also in the pipeline.The reactor deals seem to have suffered a
meltdown",due to the bankruptcy of Westinghouse/Toshiba,and US refusal to adhere to the N-Liability bill. A way to circumvent that is being attempted in that bankrupt US entities like W,will design the plants,while Indian cos. will provide the rest of the eqpt.etc.

This is the (absurd) way in which the US is trying to fool India. It fundamentally the designer who is responsible for any defects.Would any sane person buy a car from let's say Ford (built in India),but if its engine explodes one day due to faulty design,the Indian plant/branch must pay compensation? :Look at how VW,Audi,Takata,etc. have been savagely penalised for their emission scandal,faulty airbags,etc. There can be no exception for N-plants.