Indian Space Program: News & Discussion - Sept 2016

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Space Programme Discussion - Sept 2016

Post by Bart S »

arshyam wrote:
akashganga wrote: I am not saying anything against India or ISRO. I do not post much here. I am IT professional and am not rocket expert. I just follow up on space activities in India and US. I believe that spaceX has done the impossible by reusing the first stage and they may be able to reuse their second stage of their two stage vehicle as well in few years time. When that happens their costs will come down drastically as they have to just refurbish used stages and cost of fuel. Isro must be prepared for that. That is all I am trying to say.
Are you sure? You seemed to be pretty confident in saying:
Nobody in india is even talking of reusing.
For someone who claims to follow India's space program, you don't show any knowledge of the RLV project, and very easily pass judgement. A little discretion, perhaps?
To be fair, he didn't say that he was following it, merely following up on it :mrgreen:
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I was reading up on the RISAT-1 satellite on Wikipedia, and noticed this section:
On 30 September 2016, Joint Space Operations Center identified a debris generating event near RISAT-1.[10][11] The event created 16 pieces out of which 15 decayed and one was catalogued on 6 October 2016 under NORAD ID: 41797 and COSPAR ID: 2012-017C and decayed on 12 October 2016. Cause of this event remains unknown. A month later RISAT-1 experienced a temporary outage due to an anomaly which was said to be unrelated to fragmentation event
Is it possible that the RISAT was attacked? By Chi-panda or someone else?
Does India have capabilities to return such a favour?
Does India have sensitive enough radars to track small debris objects?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Gagan'ji no., the article clearly says that RISAT had a outage due to an anomaly unrelated to fragmentation event. The anomaly could be a sudden surge in temperature or power fluctuation tripping a switch or anything with the system. But not due to a some space debris (fragment) hitting the sat. If that was the case, it would not be an outage but a event that might lead to a shutdown.

SSSalviji., that tether swinging wildly is indeed scary., imagine coming in the way of the sat ejection?
la.khan
BRFite

Post by la.khan »

Indian scientists discover a galaxy supercluster 4 billion light years away, name it Saraswati super cluster
Saraswati, a supercluster of galaxies
Indian scientists discover Saraswati, a supercluster of galaxies
“We have a habit of naming galaxies after rivers; the Milky Way is referred to as Akash Ganga. So we thought of naming this supercluster after the ancient river Saraswati,” says Prof. Raychaudhury
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

An impending test of the RLV/ mini space shuttle?
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

disha wrote:Gagan'ji no., the article clearly says that RISAT had a outage due to an anomaly unrelated to fragmentation event. The anomaly could be a sudden surge in temperature or power fluctuation tripping a switch or anything with the system. But not due to a some space debris (fragment) hitting the sat. If that was the case, it would not be an outage but a event that might lead to a shutdown.

SSSalviji., that tether swinging wildly is indeed scary., imagine coming in the way of the sat ejection?
Those tethers and cables are detached during separation and do not cause harm.See most satellite separation videos,they have it. If the connectors are too tight they will snap off during launch induced vibration. Remember the cables snapping in one failed GSLV LAUNCH due to a cable tunnel issue !
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:An impending test of the RLV/ mini space shuttle?
The article says the next launch is at least one year out.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Why include men crouching and gossiping? Why capture those slouching nearby?

Provides a most unprofessional image, all around.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

Prof UR Rap passed away. He used to give lectures on space in my school when I was a student over 40 years ago. He will be sorely missed.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Friends,
With heavy heart i bring the news of Passing away of my Uncle Prof. U.R Rao. He was not only a nation builder but also a source of inspiration to our family. I had the good fortune to meet him a month back.

I will share my experience of growing under his mentorship and guidance sometime in future.

Sunil
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

RIP true nation builder! India's achievements in space will one day become the source of India's survival and then, only then will men like Dr. U.R. Rao be worshipped as saviors.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Om Shanti! Thank You for all your contributions Sir. We will work to fulfill your dreams.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

MR UR Rao a giant in our space programme, he headed ISRO usirng the foundational years of ASLV and PSLV. A son of thensoil with no foreign degrees His legacy lives on.

RIP Sir and thank you
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

RIP. He will be remembered for all his contributions. He was the ISRO chairman when i got interested in the space program (thanks to an exhibition in college near my school)
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Sad day with demise of Prof UR Rao. Recall my days as school kid knowing something about ISRO launching satellites .There were few failures. Saw his pictures on newspapers and DD.
Was sort of inspired about space. Learnt about planets stars etc. at one point wanted to become astronomer and space scientist which lasted for 4-5 years.
Hope he continues to inspire many more kids similar to me.some one will really take to skies along with Indias name.
Hope there are chapters on people like him for young kids to know and grow.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Prof UR Rao and Dr. Yashpal Sharma were prominent TV figures in my formative years.Thank you sir.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Is this the right thread for this?

India shines brighter than China on NASA map and the Chinese are not happy
http://defencenews.in/article.aspx?id=263326
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

sunilUpa wrote:Friends,
With heavy heart i bring the news of Passing away of my Uncle Prof. U.R Rao. He was not only a nation builder but also a source of inspiration to our family. I had the good fortune to meet him a month back.

I will share my experience of growing under his mentorship and guidance sometime in future.

Sunil
Sunil saar,
I am sure the great son of this nation will find his place amongst the highest of Gods for his service to motherland. May lord vishnu give your family strength to endure the loss.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Om Shanti Prof. Rao. You were and will remain an inspiration long after you've achieved moksham.
raj-senthil
BRFite -Trainee

Post by raj-senthil »

Veteran scientist prof Yashpal passes away...
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

raj-senthil wrote:Veteran scientist prof Yashpal passes away...
Om Shanti. Two back to back big losses. India has lost 02 bright lights.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Om shanti Prof. Yashpal. You were truly inspirational and motivational.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Indranil wrote:Prof UR Rao and Dr. Yashpal Sharma were prominent TV figures in my formative years.Thank you sir.
Two days back I wrote this. Today is going to be a sad day for me.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

sunilUpa wrote:Friends,

Sunil
Please do when you get a chance. (in any thread, if you think it will be more appropriate in some other thread like physics dhaga).
I heard about both the events from MIT sourced news, as both Profs (Yash Pal and Rao) were distinguished in Physics at MIT.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

I still remember him trying to explain to us young ones when he told us tha tthe universe is expanding - what is it expanding into ? and explaining to us about blackholes etc etc.
Admar Mutt Swamiji used to invite him to our school and he would make it a point to give lectures and the Swamiji would always come and attend his lectures whenever he took them.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

I ahd the fortune of talking to him a few months back when he was a key note speaker in our conference and we discussed his child hood and how he became a physicist. How he had to go for Vaaranna as a child from house to house for food etc etc. Those were tough times
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

May god almighty give their souls moksha.
Prof UR Rao and Dr Yashpal were beacons that guided many a mind.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 828341.cms
India to see launch of 2 moon missions in early 2018
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Small anecdote.
At a tennis league, played with someone working on geospatial information at a small company based out of Munich. He says he verifies data provided by farmers who claim EU farm subsidy. He said his company uses IRS satellite data and also resells them for both rural and urban needs.
Oh ..and I lost the match 5-6.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 29732.html

SRO gearing up for second prototype test of RLV-TD
By Tiki Rajwi | Express News Service | Published: 17th July 2017 08:23 AM |
Last Updated: 17th July 2017 08:24 AM | A+A A- |

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A little over a year since the successful flight test of the first prototype of the futuristic Reusable Launch Vehicle - Technology Demonstrator (RLV-TD), ISRO is gearing up for a second go. Only this time, the prototype will ‘land’ on land instead of water.

Work is progressing at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) here on the second RLV-TD. A senior officer associated with the project said the RLV-TD will almost be a ditto version of the first scaled-down RLV-TD with the only exception being it will have landing gear.

ISRO sources said it may take another year for the model to be ready. They said the present plan is to launch the RLV-TD from Sriharikota and land it on an undisclosed Air Force airfield in the eastern sector. This is yet to be finalised though, they said.

The unmanned RLV-TD comprises a space shuttle-like component fitted atop a booster rocket. The first RLV-TD weighing 1.5 tonnes, was successfully launched from Sriharikota on May 23 last year and splashed down in the Bay of Bengal from a height of 64.8 km.

While VSSC is primarily responsible for building the RLV-TD, the navigational equipment are being provided by the ISRO Inertial Systems Unit in Thiruvananthapuram and ISRO’s Satellite Applications Centre, Ahmedabad. Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd is responsible for the landing gear.

In fact, ISRO plans a series of TDs before attempting to build a fully-fledged vehicle that can be reused for launching satellites. A subsequent TD will possibly involve a slightly larger vehicle which will place a nano-satellite in the orbit.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Isro sows seeds of future interstellar missions

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 838073.cms
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Isro's launch capacity will get boost with new facility at Sriharikota by year-end.

The satellite launch capability of Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) will soon get a boost as the country's solitary launchpad centre at Sriharikota-based Satish Dhawan Space Centre will get a second vehicle assembly building by the end of this year.

Talking to TOI, Isro chairman A S Kiran Kumar said, "Because of just one vehicle assembly building, final assembling of components (stages of rockets) was a bottleneck. Therefore, the second vehicle assembly building is being constructed. The work on the building is nearly complete and by the end of this year, it will become operational. With the new assembly facility, we will be able to assemble parallelly the launch vehicle and bring it to existing two launchpads. It will thus help boost the launch capability of the Sriharikota centre."

On planning to build a third launchpad at Sriharikota High Altitude Range (SHAR), a spindle-shaped island on the east coast of Andhra Pradesh, the Isro chairman said, "We have not reached the limit of two launchpads. With the new assembly facility, we will be able to assemble more vehicles. Once we are able to assemble more rockets but not able to launch them even by reducing launch timings, then we will start work on the third launchpad. But for that, we first need (government's) approval. So, we are gradually working to eliminate all bottlenecks to increase the frequency of launches." With the new facility, Isro can achieve launch 12 rockets in a year from the seven at present.

The Indian space agency has achieved several milestones in the first half of this year when it launched 104 satellites in one go on February 15, then the launch of the country's heaviest rocket GSLV Mk III on June 5 and thereafter the launch of 31 satellites, including with Cartosat-2 satellite, in one go on June 23 from Sriharikota. On missions planned in the second half of this year, the Isro chairman said, "We are trying for 3 to 4 launches by the year-end. The replacement satellite for the first navigational satellite IRNSS-1A will be launched by the end of this month." The need for replacing IRNSS-1A, which is one of the seven satellites constituting India's navigation system or desi GPS, was felt after three atomic clocks (meant to provide precise locational data) of the satellite stopped working.

On big missions early next year, Kiran Kumar said, "The launch of the Chandrayaan-2 mission and the second developmental flight of GSLV Mk III D2 is due in the first half of 2018."

With the increased frequency of foreign satellite launches, Isro can rake in big moolah. With Rs 230 crore earned through foreign satellite launches in 2015-16, Isro's existing share is just 0.6% of the global launch services market estimated to be worth Rs 38,000 crore.
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

http://www.isro.gov.in/sites/default/fi ... eoi-5_.pdf

Invitation for Expression of Interest for the Development of New
Vendors for an End-to End Realisation of Solar Array Deployment
Mechanism.
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

I doubt if anyone here has interest in the subject of Remote Sensing.

Still posting because it pertains to ISRO.

Every year ISRO's Remote Sensing wing NRSC, conducts a seminar on Remote Sensing on 11th August.
This year the deliberations are being streamed ' Live ' between 1400 and 1730 Hrs

http://www.isro.gov.in/isrs-workshop-live-streaming
kurup
BRFite

Post by kurup »

PSLV launch scheduled

BAY OF BENGAL AND INDIAN OCEAN (.)CHARTS 32 33 41 313 356 391 INT 70 71 (.)

PSLV LAUNCH SCHEDULED FROM 31 AUG – 02 SEP 17 BETWEEN 1200 - 1600 UTC FROM 13-43.2N 080-13.8E

2. DANGER ZONE AS FOLLOWS

ZONE -1: CIRCLE OF 10 NM AROUND LAUNCHER
ZONE–2: 13-30N 080-30E, 13-50N 080-35E, 13-35N 081-30E, 13-15N 081-25E
ZONE–3: 13-00N 082-10E, 13-30N 082-15E, 12-55N 084-05E, 12-25N 084-00E
ZONE–4: 12-20N 084-05E, 13-00N 084-15E, 12-45N 085-10E, 12-05N 085-00E
ZONE–5: 11-10N 088-25E, 11-45N 088-35E, 11-25N 089-40E, 10-50N 089-30E
ZONE–6: 09-05N 094-50E, 09-55N 095-05E, 09-35N 096-00E, 08-45N 095-45E
ZONE–7: 19-00S 134-00W, 17-00S 134-00W, 13-00S 112-00W, 07-30S 090- 00W, 09-30S 090-00W, 15-00S 112-00W

3. CANCEL THIS MSG 021700 UTC SEP 17
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

http://www.isro.gov.in/launcher/pslv-c3 ... 1h-mission

PSLV with IRNSS-1H to be launched on Thursday August 31st, 16:59 hrs (IST)
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

HAL made GSLV Parts Image

The launch photo is taken at a great angle
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Probe on drone flown over ISRO complex - The Hindu
A drone was reportedly sighted over Indian Space Research Organisation’s Propulsion Research Complex at Mahendragiri in the district [Tirunelveli] recently.

After an unmanned aerial vehicle was reportedly sighted over the ISRO’s Propulsion Research Complex (IPRC) at Mahendragiri a few days ago, the Central Industrial Security Force officials at IPRC alerted the Panagudi police and submitted a petition to the police seeking a comprehensive probe into the reported incident. When contacted, the Panagudi police said no FIR has been filed in this connection. “We suspect that the drones, which are being liberally used during weddings and other functions nowadays, might have been flown over the high-security complex. We’re investigating,” a police officer here said.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I think we need RF jammers which can jam signals to most of the chipanda made quad copters that are proliferating among the aam junta ; once found flying over a sensitize zone these should be taken out of the sky immediately.