Be Indian Buy Indian

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Re: Be Indian Buy Indian

Post by Neshant »

For the most part, we export raw materials for peanuts to China, we get back finished goods at a far higher price.
The "Wallmart" type relationship benefits them far more than it does India.
Nothing of what they export is of critical importance as yet.
Quite frankly, we are empowering what is an enemy trying to destroy us.

India needs to team up with the US (by which I don't mean made in china goods dumping companies like Walmart) to find some means of investing in domestic mass production and raising the quality of what's produced. The domestic market exists to absorb these products and there is little if any domestic market penetration that Indian companies have in China.

So there is less and less to lose with protectionism. In the next economic collapse, start putting some regulations that 80% of the shit sold has to be "Make in India" by which I don't mean screwdriver giri.
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

I am bumping up this thread to discuss fresh strategies to avoid CN and PK imports in the current scenario.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

First lets rise awareness.
I created a hashtag on Twitter

#IndiaBoycottChineseImports

lets make this a top trend.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

One of the local Kannada radio stations yesterday morning was running a program in which the RJ was discussing the possibility and effects of GoI boycotting Chinese goods/imports in India. I listened to a couple of experts voice their opinion about the above and I should say that most of them were discouraging such an above move. Both of them said that India is in no position to carry out the above and even if implemented, it would harm India more than it does China. More over, one of them said that if there is a border dispute, it should be settled involving military and civilians should not be subjected to harm. Further, he added that if China bans imports of goods from India, it would affect India industry a lot. Of course he did drag current IT slump in India due to Trump and said that an additional curbs from China would exacerbate gloom & doom situation in desh. To me it seemed like the same arguments made by our IT-Vity honchoes back in the day during 2001 for Ops Parakram-2...I did not get a chance to hear what other ordinary citizens thought (usually the RJs encourage folks to either call in or send their opinions through WhatsApp) but based on a sample size of 2 experts (LOL)...currently, some of the civic bodies/folks may not support such a move.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

What a bunch of wussy idiots. No one is asking GOI to ban anything, just greedy Indians to maybe show some slight sign of humanity towards their own compatriots standing in the cold of the Himalayan plateau facing death, and suffer a few paise difference in prices of luxury purchases. Gee!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the first order of business is to find a couple of phone brands in which the minimum of money accrues to the chinese. india is now the No2 smartphone market in the world and will retain it or grow to no1 at some point, people are also constantly upgrading. also ITvity munnas get requests from greedy siblings to somehow use their corporate fast links to get in flash sales of guess what xiaomi, oppo, oneplus etc.

so i guess it has to be non-chinese owned brands

the so called desi brands karbonn, lava, micromax main costly part is the base board by mediatek - where does mediatek and qualcomm make their CPUs and integrated boards ? thats the GEnX engines of these things. next comes the screen and camera module of these things.

at the broader level we need to turf out of the telecom eqpt (BSNL and reliance both use it!) and power generation machinery (han version of stuxnet anyone?). I see people cowering under the table on the grounds of "WTO fines" - come out brothers mai nahi maroonga explain to me in details how huawei has been banned from the US market and facebook and google from the Chinese market without committing any real crime by their respective parliaments ? isnt it a gross violation of the free trade religion written about by the high priests
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I think first of all, use this thread to highlight all products that we find on Amazon and/or Flipkart etc in the category of smartphones, modems and small cheap gadgets that are China made and if possible point out those that are not China made.

Nowadays it has become difficult to guess what is China made and what isn't and a whole lot does come from China - but awareness must be created. Also - every time you want to order something online - maybe even a pen drive look at all the choices and ask "Is this item made in China?"
SSharma
BRFite

Post by SSharma »

Last month i bought a 100 dollar smartphone for an employee of mine.

I was willing to buy a 2-3 model year old product just to avoid china, but ultimately went for Xiaomi.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Simple.Look for where the item was made ,which should also carry the name and nationality of the parent co.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

SSharma wrote:Last month i bought a 100 dollar smartphone for an employee of mine.

I was willing to buy a 2-3 model year old product just to avoid china, but ultimately went for Xiaomi.
No Samsung ?
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

The e-tailer websites like flipkart, amazon should be forced to implement a search option to filter out made in china items.
There should be a mass campaign for it.
SSharma
BRFite

Post by SSharma »

jamwal wrote:
SSharma wrote:Last month i bought a 100 dollar smartphone for an employee of mine.

No Samsung ?
I think the only Samsung I could find was j2 2016

It was competing against mi 4x
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

shiv wrote:I think first of all, use this thread to highlight all products that we find on Amazon and/or Flipkart etc in the category of smartphones, modems and small cheap gadgets that are China made and if possible point out those that are not China made.

Nowadays it has become difficult to guess what is China made and what isn't and a whole lot does come from China - but awareness must be created. Also - every time you want to order something online - maybe even a pen drive look at all the choices and ask "Is this item made in China?"
Sir.. Don't bother too much. Due to government initiative, vast majority of smartphones will sport "Made in India". However, only assembly, final QA and packaging is done in India and legally such companies are allowed to put "Made In India" stamp. Some non tech component such as case, etc., might be locally sourced.

I posted in Managing Chinese thread more on this. If you observe major imports from China, many are ingredients into other finished goods. In some categories such as mobiles, vast majority are only from China either directly or indirectly. In many cases, local traders import stuff from China and put a "Marketed In India" or "Made in India" sticker.

However, one good idea to follow might be to support non chinese companies. Ex: For electronics, buy Korean (LG or Samsung) or Japanese (Sony, Hitachi) instead of Vizio (Chinese). In mobile, again Korean companies (LG, Samsung) are the only competitors to chinese firms.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

UlanBatori wrote:What a bunch of wussy idiots. No one is asking GOI to ban anything, just greedy Indians to maybe show some slight sign of humanity towards their own compatriots standing in the cold of the Himalayan plateau facing death, and suffer a few paise difference in prices of luxury purchases. Gee!
Which can't happen unless we ban.

The truth is, if we want to be part of the global supply chain we will need to suffer chini products until that supply chain shifts to its next low cost manufacturing base (and hope that the next base will be us.)

If we don't think the global supply chain will ever benefit us (and there are signs that manufacturing is already leaving Cheen but to Vietnam and Bangladesh instead of Bharat) then it is better to bite the bullet and go all in on MII and simply ban chini products, leaving the WTO if necessary.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Which can't happen unless we ban.
I cannot believe this. And this from PeeAref? From ppl hu grew up eating Indian-grown rice? :((

For the past 25+ years we have had a strict ban on buying Pakistani goods. Period. No fig jam. :(( No t-shirt (returned that to JC Penney and explained: "Sorry, we don't buy Pakistani" And they smiled in understanding). No Rooh Afza or ZamZam cola. And guess what? There IS no "ban" by any govt. Why do we do it? Because we don't like what we know about Pakistan. And because I would feel like a worm if I bought Pakistani stuff for myself and funded the Lashkar-e-Toiba.

WTF can the WTO or Ummah do about that, hain? If ppl don't buy the stuff, the store owner loses money on interest, and soon cuts prices. Still won't move? He'll get the message and won't buy any more from Cheen.

So when Indians are clearly informed about the realities of China, and gently urged to stop buying Chinese products, at least it will become less fashionable to display latest Lenovo or Wei Poo Phone. In my nephews' and nieces' lives, Fashion and Social Recognition is everything. Which is why I was able to trade a $100 Samsung pos phone for a then-top-of-the-line and still-excellent $350 Nokia phone with amazing GPS and camera. Oh, did I forget to mention that I had the foresight to acquire a $1 DOUBLE-COLOR skin for that? No one in his social circles had a DOUBLE-COLOR phone.

This should be soooo EZ. Tweet/text/Whatsapp:
Hope u r not sporting a CHINESE phone? :P #DumpDaDragon
You guys are always waiting for the GUVRMAND to do this and that. Come on! The Govt. works for you. You pay their salaries. They take orders from YOU.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

@UB ^^. You are right. Look at how the Chinese expressed their displeasure with S Korea over THAAD"

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/0 ... XqCPemQw2w

China runs an aprox $40 bn +. trade surplus with India. All you need is a private organization (like the ones who did the paki rogue army campaign in 1999) to make it unpatriotic to buy Chinese. The 500+ channels in INdia that have nothing to report can channel the hysterical news readers to ferreting out Chinese goods hidden as Indian (like statues of deities)

Could be a win-win: trade surplus for TRPS :)

Our patriotism has to extend to our pocketbook.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Yes. ppl don't see the power that bijnej can have. If you sank 3 Chinese aircraft carriers that would be considered a huge victory, though we have nothing against the poor sods that would die with it.
But the same $6B can be ripped out of the Chinese economy by just a 10% (TEN PERCENT!) reduction in what Indians pay to China this year.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Seen on fB:

Namaste India Resident protected by the Indian Armed Forces: Hope u r not sporting a CHINESE phone, Chinese purse, Chinese Shoes? #DumpDaDragon
And please pass this on. Thanks from the soldier whose name was on that bullet that the PLA would have bought with ur money. Or the missile that might have had your address on it.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Chinise ransaked a Honda showroom after the senkaku/diaou island incident. We can start a silent camping to boycott Chinese goods.

Having said that Indian cricket team is sponsered by oppo and this campaign might send Deepika and ranveer ching back into depression
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

I understand that no cellphone is completely "non-chinese", including Iphones.
Instead of going for a "perfect" solution can we have a list of phones with a decreasing order of "made in India(or any non-china)" components/assembly?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

First blow.

THANK U, LIZARDS! Went shopping, Supreme HQ wanted to buy some things for $90, found they were MADE IN CHINA< ended up buying something much nicer for $24.99 MADE IN VIETNAM, and it turned out it was on sale for $14.50.
Chalk up $90 towards Sanctions. That's almost as much as I paid for my Lenovo SmartPhone back in 2016, so feeling a little less guilty.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

UBji,
Slightly difficult task to accomplish in desh. Looked for some casual shoes in myntra and jabong. The shoes I liked were imported from China by Myntra, I rejected them for that reason, ended up buying a British sneaker brand which were made in Vietnam/China. Not sure what I will get, but I tried. Let's see.
ManishC
BRFite

Post by ManishC »

The problem is manifold and needs both govt. and people to do their bit. See this article https://scroll.in/article/843673/as-cal ... ndia-first for example.

Chinese goods are stealing a march in FMCGs as they are 1. Lower Priced 2. Have flashier designs/cartoons etc.
It is unlikely lizard companies are paying any royalty to Disney etc. and are violating TM. Gives ample scope for authorities to crackdown and also do hafta vasooli to jack up the price. Patriotic corruption should be encouraged to level the playing field.
Another pressure point is the dicey manufacturing and environmental practices - Lunch box may be cheap and shiny, but do you want to give cancer to your kids? A healthy information campaign along those lines will set cat among the pigeons that are the middle class. will balk when kids health is involved.
As for faithfools - Chinese maal lowers fertility, looks how they have only one kid :mrgreen:
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ManishC wrote: As for faithfools - Chinese maal lowers fertility, looks how they have only one kid :mrgreen:
:rotfl: :rotfl:

I bought Samsung phone last year. Have to buy another phone now. Again it will be Samsung. They are "Made in India" as well. First rule no Chinese brand. Majority of them are crap anyway. Not even Motorola which is owned by Lenovo now. Many people including family members tell me how there is no option to Chinese phones. Its not like that, Samsung at least offers decent options. A slightly costly. But would you spend few thousand more buck or rather make your enemy rich so it comes back and screws your own country later..? Hell no. At least my money is not going to Chinese. not entire of it, at least. Saying that all the phones are Chinese anyway or components are manufactured in China anyway or we don't have good options available are lame excuses only. People typically don't want to take trouble to find out details and/or spend few extra bucks and/or can't give up shiny new options (however crap they might be). If we can't fight our enemies on borders, we should at least do our bit seating at home.

We need to go with hierarchy for preference:
- Indian Brand. Made in India
- Indian Brand - made elsewhere (other than China)
- Foreign (other than Chinese) brand - made in India
- Indian Brand - made in China
- Foreign brand (other than Chinese) - made elsewhere (other than China)
- Foreign brand (other than Chinese) - made in China
- Chinese brand - made in India
- Chinese brand - made in China

Whatever it may be, as long as we keep the contribution to our enemy's wealth lower. Now how difficult is that really..?

I was thinking may be we should tag brand/company handles which are Chinese or which use made in china parts on Twitter/FB along with #DumpDaDragon or other such hashtag.
Last edited by JayS on 01 Aug 2017 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Slow going at first, but there's $60B a year from which to choose what can be cut. Every little bit helps.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Majority find Indian products better than Chinese
NEW DELHI: A survey participated in by 50,000 people has revealed that a majority of Indians find their country's products more reliable than the ones imported from China.

Chinese products have made a way in almost every household. They might not be of the best quality but are cheaper than their Indian counterparts and provide value for money.

A survey conducted by LocalCircles revealed that for 52 per cent citizens, Indian made items were generally better in quality than the Chinese ones; 21 per cent said that Chinese-made items were better and 17 per cent said both are more or less similar in quality.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

3 years ago we bought 2 ACs. a Godrej and a Samsung. we wanted to buy a 2 ton for the living room this year and Mom recommended we go for a Godrej as she is happy with the old one.

indian made products have closed the gap.
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

I have one samsung split AC( nearly 8 years old) and two voltas window ACs (6 years old).
When its time to retire the split AC I will go for a Voltas Split AC - I am impressed with the performance of the two window ACs.

I never buy any chinese electronics and consumer goods brands.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

One thing I want to say is that for those who end up buying non-Chinese products, or even shop for them in a store, do let the store owner/salesman explicitly know about this, and why it is being done. Over time, it might change their procurement practices and provide more alternatives.
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

^
Always do that :)
Specially if other customers are around.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

Mom today bought a refrigerator options were LG, Samsung & Godrej

She got Godrej one & told the shop owner "make in India only" . It doesn't matter that both those companies are Korean not Chinese.

This "aandolan" should be buy Indian not only boycott Chinese (there is a big difference)
Rudhraksha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rudhraksha »

As Shiv sir said - Start with a Make in India section in Amazon India and FlipKart. Promote Make In India in search results ( all online portals should be told to do that). Influence them to downgrade Chinese products, and bring them last in the search results. Make aliexpress and Alibaba really difficult to access and use in Indian networks. Make all the pages appear, except the menu :). Add to cart can work, but order button should not.
Find out products that are heavily invested by Chinese ( I think including Paytm ? kinds - not sure) - List them, publish them , discourage use.

Start small, crawl our way into building momentum into offline platforms.

It may be beneficial to have a smaller, fancier #tag for Twitter and Facebook. A good innovative one might even get a global attention.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

SHQ reporting from Lucknow central that some shop keepers are boycotting Chinese goods.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

the thing with cheap chinese products is that they compromise on quality and durability, i had a samsung phone (note 1) it was cool in its days and with rapid changes it stank big time. Then i switched to lenovo (that was 1 yr before NSG). over time I've realized the following thigns about cheap chinese stuff
1. low quality charger
2. high SAR
3. low durability (not as sturdy to fall)
4. no earphones
5. poor camera
things like these in addition to the fact that we are funding our enemies should be highlighted.

Few things we should keep in mind
1. The tensions on korean peninsula resulted in drop of korean cars
2. The chinese/americans (or both together) refer japanese cars as cheap japanese cars.

Net net I see a lot of vocal facebookers, fence sitters opposing chinese maal in private or social media/gathering and a huge huge indifferent silent majority around me. These people while cost sensitive will turn the tide.
Similar to our in-house chol-warrior, all we need is kick their pair and get this going. This stand off is our chance to show middle finger to middle kingdom and or kick them in middle between their 2 legs
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Add another Rs. 400 to the list.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Traded in my Ray Bans for Titan glasses. they are half price much lighter and SHQ likes the look.

#MII #BIBI
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

I think the rise of 3D printing & robotic manufacturing may allow us to close the gap. In the coming 4th Industrial Revolution (which is already underway), countries that serve as cheap labour pools (like China) will lose their competitive edge. Having a huge pool of cheap human labour that can be marshaled to churn out products was a huge advantage up to now (it still is). But robots and 3D printers are closing the gap.

In the future, it will be intellectual talent that matters. If you're a country with lots of great talent (engineers, software designers, etc) but saddled with a labour pool that cannot compete with China's, what do you do? The answer is you put all that great high-level talent to use designing products that will then be manufactured by robots and 3D printers. We (India) have always had a lot of high-level talent; it's the labour side of the equation we lack. We have masses of uneducated people but we don't extract maximum value from those people because unlike China, we as a society are not willing to enforce such brutal discipline on our workers (not to mention the workers would rebel). By ruling its factories with an iron fist, China has been able to make humans toil as long, as hard, and as meticulously as robots.

But that's changing. The new robots are 3D printers are so good that even terrorized Chinese workers cannot outdo them. Chinese company execs and management are realizing this also. Notice how we're hearing stories about Chinese manufacturers starting to invest in robotics and 3D printing? Yes, even in China!

In the future, all goods will be manufactured by increasingly advanced robots, 3D printing and AI algorithms. This will be the great equalizer. At that point, it will come down to design and engineering. When the quality of all manufacturing worldwide is more or less equal (because machines are doing all the grunt work), what will differentiate goods is how well they're designed and engineered.

This is why India still has a chance to be competitive. Because we actually are pretty strong on the engineering & design front (we always have been). It's mass manufacturing where we lag in quality, because frankly Indians (unlike Chinese) are not very good at being human robots and likely never will be. And you know what? That's ok. The future of manufacturing is to work smart, not work hard. Robotic manufacturing driven by innovative design.

Make in India is definitely possible and I would argue, it is the way all manufacturing is going worldwide. Eventually everyone will be doing this, not for patriotism but for efficiency. Why outsource manufacturing and ship goods across the world if you don't have to? It's actually a lot of trouble and only worth doing when you lack the labour efficiency to make it yourself. The 4th Industrial Revolution is bringing all manufacturing back home. Rather than trying to beat the Chinese at their own game (mass human labour) we should be investing in new-wave manufacturing. Don't worry about the jobs; those not employed in factories will find & create other work, because we are an innovative people. We are not the hardest working or most disciplined people (nor should we try to be!) but we have always been creative and clever.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

while we are focusing on small electronic imports from china its the Toys that have flooded the indian market. these can be easily made in India.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

How about if I want to buy a phone in the US? Are there any options for avoiding Made in China? I heard the Samsung phones are sometimes made in Vietnam, Korea, or India (in addition to China), but people seem to prefer the Chinese made Samsung phones, because of quality issues with the Korean made ones.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

sudarshan wrote:How about if I want to buy a phone in the US? Are there any options for avoiding Made in China? I heard the Samsung phones are sometimes made in Vietnam, Korea, or India (in addition to China), but people seem to prefer the Chinese made Samsung phones, because of quality issues with the Korean made ones.
Chinese-made Korean phones are better than Korean-made Korean phones? First I've heard that; it sounds dubious.