Indian Navy News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Navy News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

Post by Singha »

if we be smart we should take the basic KH35 uran, obtain a permit & OEM support to play around with it and use it as a test vehicle for all the sensors and comms needed . later install on Nirbhay.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Someone please record this....

This August 15, watch a stunning documentary on Indian Navy
http://www.oneindia.com/india/this-augu ... 18939.html
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

200-strong fleet in 10 years, asserts top naval officer
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 015567.cms
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Rakesh wrote:200-strong fleet in 10 years, asserts top naval officer
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 015567.cms

He added that the Indian Navy has achieved 90% indigenisation in the float segment and 60% and 30% in the propulsion and weapon segments

I wonder what indiginous propulsion we use to get that 60 % figure , Unless the one lic built by Kirloskar and LM2500 series engine we assemble is classified as Indigenisation ........there is practically no Indian Designed and Built propulsion we make here that we use on our ships , Either they are imported like that of Ukrainan one on D class ships or Lic Built western one by Kirloskar/HAL etc
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

He added that the Indian Navy has achieved 90% indigenisation in the float segment and 60% and 30% in the propulsion and weapon segments
I guess propulsion portion is kaveri marine

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 089_1.html
Business Standard has learnt that the navy has officially informed the Gas Turbine and Research Establishment (the DRDO laboratory that developed the Kaveri) that naval warships will needs 40 Kaveri Marine Gas Turbines (KMGTs) over the next 15 years.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I wonder what indiginous propulsion we use to get that 60 % figure , Unless the one lic built by Kirloskar and LM2500 series engine we assemble is classified as Indigenisation ........there is practically no Indian Designed and Built propulsion we make here that we use on our ships , Either they are imported like that of Ukrainan one on D class ships or Lic Built western one by Kirloskar/HAL etc
Can the GTRE deliver? That is the billion $ Q! We've herd the boast about a marine Kaveri for over a decade now. The GTREE needs to be abolished and a new national Central Engine Research and Dev. Establishment taking its place,which will design and develop engines for all requirements,for aviation,land and maritime uses.

Incidentally,the wheels are moving fast for the LHPD req.,with the vessels meant to be 30K t. This would mean a req. for a strong helo req. why L&T's JC design offer may come up trumps.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Nitesh wrote:
I guess propulsion portion is kaveri marine

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 089_1.html
Business Standard has learnt that the navy has officially informed the Gas Turbine and Research Establishment (the DRDO laboratory that developed the Kaveri) that naval warships will needs 40 Kaveri Marine Gas Turbines (KMGTs) over the next 15 years.
I dont think anything came of this other than tons of media statements
Cant see how it can be counted in existing propulsion when it never even left the lab
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there are certain industrial and marine power use (offshore oil rigs) where gas turbines may be in use in lieu of diesel gensets. i know HAL marine gas turbine division near LRDE services some of these engines (rolls royce?). kaveri if they were serious could also have been positioned in that niche to build hours, reliability, data .... but it takes a lot to move a science project off the lab into the field and productionize. in the absence of a mandate to make the kaveri widely used its tough to take this last and biggest step.

also its very hard to cover the last 10% of any new product - from a "it usually works but short by 5%" to "almost zero defect and ready for widespread customer use" .... we can see it in any new product dev
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

There is a popular saying (at least in Mechanical industry circles) "80% of the development can be done in 20% of the time but rest 20% takes 80% of the time"...
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Kaveri marine has not seen any use beyond the vessel it is used as test platform

All the claim by IN of 60% Indian power plant are mere lic production of engine we have been doing for long time

In weapon system IN has made better progress but then many program like Barak and Brahmos are JV , indigenous torpedo are yet to be inducted in any large scale
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

We license assemble pliestick diesels and iirc mtu as well at grse
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Enjoy this! It underscores the importance and danger of of unmanned vehicles in the maritime sphere especially.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... elizabeth/
Drone enthusiast 'amazed' as he lands device on deck of £3bn HMS Elizabeth without being detected
Pictured: Britain's new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth
Harry Yorke
12 AUGUST 2017 • 9:15AM
It is a £3bn state-of-the-art investment, commissioned to reassert Britain’s supremacy on the high seas.

But this week the Royal Navy was left blushing after it emerged that an amateur enthusiast managed to land a £300 drone on the deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth - without anyone raising the alarm.

According to local media reports in Scotland, the drone user managed to fly the drone past armed patrol boats before landing on the deck of the aircraft carrier.

The pilot, who is yet to be named, told reporters this week that he had been “amazed” how easy it had been to carry out the stunt.

“I was amazed that I was able to land on the aircraft carrier for two reasons, the first being that there was no one about to prevent it from landing although were security police around in small boats who were waving at the drone,” he said.

“The second reason was more technical. I received a high wind warning as I was videoing up and down the flight deck and my control system advised me to land.”

He added that when attempted to discuss his concerns about security with crew members, he returned to find a “ghost ship”.
“There was absolutely no-one around when I landed, it was like a ghost ship,” he continued.

“After I posted the picture taken from the flight deck I got some flak from other drone users who were saying ‘You are going to make a lot of people unhappy’. I thought the only law I had broken was that I flew over a vessel I didn’t have control over.

“I was a bit concerned so I drove round to Invergordon and spoke to the port security and explained that I wanted to speak to someone from the ship such as the duty watch or the captain about what I had done.

“I was only able to speak to some heavily armed police, I think from the MoD, and they said there was no-one available on the carrier as they were at dinner ashore.”

“No-one seemed too concerned, but the officer I spoke to said he would pass it up the chain of command. I was fascinated by the Queen Elizabeth and wanted to have a crack at filming her. I wasn’t out to get anyone in trouble. What’s done is done, and I can’t undo the images I shot.

“I think if the MoD were in any way bothered by this then these videos and stills would not have been allowed to see the light of day.”

Whilst the anonymous drone pilot appeared relaxed about his exploits, the disclosure has prompted concern among military and security experts.

Speaking to The Daily Mail, Lord West, a former First Sea Lord, said it was worrying because terrorist groups such as Islamic State had already used drones in the Middle East to launch bombs.

He said: “Daesh [Islamic State] are already using drones to deliver bombs in Syria, so I think it is something we need to take very seriously.

“The fact drones can reach it is a worry. The Queen Elizabeth is doing some work with helicopters and if a drone hits a helicopter that could be very dangerous.

“We need to have harsher punishments if you fly a drone into a carrier's air space. There's a real risk from drones and [it's] something we need to take very seriously.”

Commenting, an MoD spokesperson said: “We take the security of HMS Queen Elizabeth very seriously. This incident has been reported to Police Scotland, an investigation is underway and we stepped up our security measures in light of it."
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

This is increasingly a problem in civilian airspace where you can't deploy your active sensors and where there are no clear cut instructions. In open waters you will likely take it down unless it poses no significant danger to the vessel or through its other activities. See THIS and THIS.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Aditya G wrote:We license assemble pliestick diesels and iirc mtu as well at grse
Ejactly , Add LM2500 to the list too , Lic Manuf is counted as Indiginous production much like Tatra case . The left 40 % is easy to guess its the Ukrainian GT Engine used on all D class
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

In has floated to a tender to replace the urans . Around 20 ships and 240 missiles

Now is the time to use uran as a test vehicle of the c3i and sensors of a desi next gen er asm of thawk lrasm mould
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

:x

No takers for construction of India’s Next Generation of Nuclear Submarines

http://defenceupdate.in/no-takers-for-c ... rines/amp/
While the Indian Navy badly needs nuclear submarines to bolster its strength underwater as well as replace ailing fleet, it is not finding any builders to take up the project. It should be recalled that the Union government announced that six nuclear submarines would be built, following clearance given by the Cabinet committee on security.

The project was estimated to cost Rs 50,000 crore and would have given a boost to the ailing shipyard. The submarines were to be designed by navy’s Directorate of Naval Design. Even the state-owned Hindustan Shipyard said that it will not build nuclear submarine in its yard. “We will not build any nuclear submarine for the Indian Navy,” said chairman and managing director of Hindustan Shipyard Limited Rear Admiral (retired) LV Sharatbabu.

He refused to elaborate further. Even Reliance Defence and Engineering is not coming forward to develop its shipyard at Rambilli village in the district, though the company had signed a MoU with the state government during partnership summit here in 2016.It should be noted that the Reliance Defence and Engineering has proposed to build nuclear submarines and much needed aircraft carriers for the Indian Navy in association with Russian companies.

“They are yet to come forward to take up the project. The government has already issued a GO paving the way for allotment of land,” said general manager of District Industries Centre A Ramalingewara Rao.Indian Navy has 13 conventional submarines and two nuclear powered submarines-INS Chakra taken on lease from Russia in 2012 and INS Arihant which was de-commissioned quietly in October last year.

Defence sources said half of the conventional submarines are aged and ready for medium refit. Indian Navy badly needs more submarines to counter the presence of Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean. Chinese submarines came close to Indian waters six times during the last few years.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

CNN-News18 Travels to INS Sindhudhvaj to See How Sailors Live Inside the Submarine

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Manish_Sharma wrote::x

While the Indian Navy badly needs nuclear submarines to bolster its strength underwater as well as replace ailing fleet, it is not finding any builders to take up the project. It should be recalled that the Union government announced that six nuclear submarines would be built, following clearance given by the Cabinet committee on security.

The project was estimated to cost Rs 50,000 crore and would have given a boost to the ailing shipyard. The submarines were to be designed by navy’s Directorate of Naval Design. Even the state-owned Hindustan Shipyard said that it will not build nuclear submarine in its yard. “We will not build any nuclear submarine for the Indian Navy,” said chairman and managing director of Hindustan Shipyard Limited Rear Admiral (retired) LV Sharatbabu.

He refused to elaborate further. Even Reliance Defence and Engineering is not coming forward to develop its shipyard at Rambilli village in the district, though the company had signed a MoU with the state government during partnership summit here in 2016.It should be noted that the Reliance Defence and Engineering has proposed to build nuclear submarines and much needed aircraft carriers for the Indian Navy in

Somehow feel its only half the story. Wonder what the actual thing is since hard to believe no one would takeup such a lucrative offer with confirmed 6 orders
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Austin wrote:CNN-News18 Travels to INS Sindhudhvaj to See How Sailors Live Inside the Submarine
Just saw it on TV. These TV buggers seemed to have lifted off a lot of clips from the Ghazi Attack film and didn't have the decency to credit it.

And the lady interviewer asking about torpedo drills (paraphrasing, emphasis mine): "do you do this regularly under the water"? :shock:

Where else will a submarine practice - at the swimming pool? DDM takes a new meaning every day...
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

sum wrote:

Somehow feel its only half the story. Wonder what the actual thing is since hard to believe no one would takeup such a lucrative offer with confirmed 6 orders
So many possibilities
- capability
- willingness to invest in hiring the right talent and procuring the needed machinery if above is lacking
- risk/reward tradeoff
- penalty clauses
- schedules, and government's newfound strictness
- longer term commitment
- other business opportunities
- questions about whether design is good & implementable
- working arrangement between IN, design bureau and vendor(s)
- quality certification & signoff

This is a hugely complex project, and it's not like bidding for a railway electrification or road construction contract.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Complex it may be but there's no way the pvt sector shipyards are sitting it out unless there is some other factor in play here.

Case-in-point:

Defence contracts could turn the tide for L&T shipbuilding - Aug 2015
The Kattupalli yard started building ships in 2012. But, by then, the global shipbuilding industry had plumbed the depths after the collapse of the Lehman Brothers and the financial meltdown that ensued.

It has so far built—or is in the process of building—ships for offshore oil exploration, interceptor boats and offshore patrol vessels for the coast guard and a floating dock for the navy.

When commercial ship orders dried up following the global financial crisis, L&T struggled. But soon local shipyards got a lifeline from the government.

In 2011, the government ordered a series of offshore patrol vessels, fast patrol vessels and interceptor boats to strengthen coastal security after 10 gunmen entered Mumbai by the sea route on 26 November 2008, and killed at least 166 people and injured nearly 300 in one of India’s worst terror attacks.

Producing interceptor boats and offshore support vessels will not give L&T the kind of returns on the money it invested, according to the Chennai-based shipbuilding expert cited above.

L&T’s shipbuilding unit posted losses of Rs.136.82 crore in 2012-13 and Rs.355.11 crore in 2013-14.

But defence contracts are set to get bigger and pricier over time as the government modernizes an ageing naval fleet. This includes making nuclear-powered submarines and stealth warships as part of the Make in India programme.

In March, the government approved a plan to build six submarines locally at an estimated cost of Rs.50,000 crore. L&T is a strong contender for the deal.

It’s (interceptor boats and offshore support vessels) a consolation prize for them until the submarine orders mature. Their main focus in putting up the Kattupalli yard was to capture a larger pie of the defence orders. Because, having been involved in the Arihant submarine project, they knew that the Indian Navy will not stop at one, and automatically more orders would follow,” he said.

L&T is among the four private local shipbuilders that have a permit from the government to build warships. But the playing field will get bigger if the government accepts the prescriptions of a panel led by former home secretary Dhirender Singh on defence purchases.

One of the suggestions is that private firms eyeing defence co-ntracts under the Make in India programme should have a net worth of at least 40% of the estimated development and engineering costs of projects and a credit rating of Crisil/ICRA B++.

Additionally, companies seeking to become strategic partners of the navy for constructing warships costing over Rs.10,000 crore should not be in the middle of corporate debt restructuring.

That could put yards such as ABG Shipyard Ltd, Bharati Shipyard Ltd, Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering Co. Ltd out of the reckoning.

Typically, it will take anywhere between 6-8 years for a new yard of the scale and size of Kattupalli to break even. “The cost of funds is what cripples a yard. If you have a healthy order book, you can play around with the finance and lower the financing costs,” the Chennai-based expert said.

L&T’s shipbuilding unit is now waiting for the tide to turn.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

sum wrote:

This might well be a case of a single vendor situation.
Now that L&T has built the Arihant Class subs as a pilot project under a special ATV program and the program is nearing completion, and it is time for the next batch or gen of subs to be built, the Babooze of the Min of Def are stepping in with their rules and clauses and sub & sub sub clauses.

They've probably decreed that giving the contract to L&T constitutes a single vendor situation - they get a chance to delay the project, in the hopes that some lubrication will land at their table

This might well be what is going on - thus the cry about, no vendor willing to build N subs.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Singha wrote:In has floated to a tender to replace the urans . Around 20 ships and 240 missiles

Now is the time to use uran as a test vehicle of the c3i and sensors of a desi next gen er asm of thawk lrasm mould
Why doesnt DRDO build a Uran class missile to replace it , we have yet to develop a single Anti-Ship subsonic missile in 200-300 km range similar to exocet uran or harpoon not every IN ships needs brahmos or can carry one .....Why IN keep floating tender eternally to replace such bread and butter stuff
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes its high time we built 2 ASM. a small exocet sized one with 150km range and IIR+radar seeker for smaller ships (turbojet engine) and a larger LRASM sized one with 500km range with mid course updates and other boo boo stuff (like turbofan engine).
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

A sea version of Nirbhay then? With an ASh seeker/tech. Standardisation will really help the program. If we get it off the ground :(
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

If HSL are reluctant to build SSNs,much easier than SSBNs,then they must be struggling with the Arihant class whose details are most heavily classified esp. costs.No one in the public domain knows how much each sub is costing us and how much we've invested over the past decades. Therefore,costs of the proposed SSNs must be the stumbling block,few wanting to stick their necks out costwise and pay a heavy penalty later,as much tech has to be developed.

There was a report last yr. that Russia was keen to assist us in the SSN programme,which could be clubbed with the extra Akula/s.From earlier inspections,Rubin supposedly picked the L&T's Madras/K'palli facility as the best for building subs. Having built the hulls for the ATV and whatever other eqpt .involved ,L&T would be the best outfit to entrust the prog. to. IN other reports,Russia appears to be changing philosophy and will build smaller specialised types of subs in the future instead of large Yasen class multi-role subs,v.expensive and time-consuming to build too. If our SSNs are meant to primarily be HUK boats,with land attack secondary,Then silence,speed,sonar arrays,and new ASW weapon systems /missiles/rocket torpedoes need to be developed or acquired.The Q of single-hull or double-hull arises. Do we have the capability of production of the special steel allowing the SSN to dive to around 600M? Perhaps there being many unanswered Qs about the design of the sub,still "floating",yards are reluctant to commit themselves.

If we are going to face delays with this most vital programme,then there is little alternative but to increase the number of Akulas on lease until we start completing our desi SSNs.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

San is much more difficult. Watch taken documentary, and US ssn submariner accounts. How they are continuously practising fast-maneuvering while being stealthy , while ssn is built just operate stealthily without much fast and violent maneuvering.

SSN is a fighter, while ssbn is just a stealthy launcher.

That's why 7 yasen mfrg. Is draining Russian industrial base, while borei not.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

sum wrote:

Defence orders arnt exactly "Lucrative" from the get go.

If these Facilities have never constructed such vessels they will first have to spend CAPEX upgrading their infrastructure then BID to win the order. No guarantee. Handling Nuclear equipment is a whole new ball game. HR capability will also need to be built up.

After winning - they will have to cough up (a sizable % of the order value) a Bank Guarantee that will lie with MOD at 4% interest.

MOD will release money based on milestones (Assuming they release on time) and not according to Opex being incurred by the producer. i.e Negative cashflows here again have to be funded through WC financing.

All in all ALOT of money gets sunk. L&Ts of the world have the Balance sheet and Financing (internal NBFC) to help turn these projects into viable profitiable exercises. Maynot be the case for all contractors.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The Yasen,is even larger than the Akula-2/3,multi-role,more missions,more sophistication,complexity,etc. It would be easier to use a modular sub design approach,with two variants.In surface combatants,similar hulls have been used for diff. purposes such as the Tarantula missile corvette,same hull as the Pauk/Abhay class ASW corvette.An SSGN config would however require more missile silos and perhaps a reduced torpedo load.Ideally for the IN,an SSN of around 6000+t should suffice,depending upon reactor size/power and the top UW speed reqd. Given the task of intel gathering/spl forces missions too,the sub could also accommodate a spl. forces pod and feature UUVs,essential for future UW ops.This could ncrease the size to approx. 8000t.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Philip wrote:If HSL are reluctant to build SSNs,much easier than SSBNs,then they must be struggling with the Arihant class whose details are most heavily classified esp. costs.No one in the public domain knows how much each sub is costing us and how much we've invested over the past decades. Therefore,costs of the proposed SSNs must be the stumbling block,few wanting to stick their necks out costwise and pay a heavy penalty later,as much tech has to be developed.
Please verify before posting, Arihant class SSBN are built at Shipbuilding Centre of Indian Navy and not by HSL.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Philip wrote:Enjoy this! It underscores the importance and danger of of unmanned vehicles in the maritime sphere especially.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... elizabeth/
Drone enthusiast 'amazed' as he lands device on deck of £3bn HMS Elizabeth without being detected
How is this related to Indian Navy? Philip sir, how much do you want me to stretch the rubber band for you?
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Janes: UK launches externally loaded F-35B from 'ski jump' for first time

Despite all the tall claims neither Rafale-M or Super Hornet have achieved this.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

JTull: don't malign the F-18. GW will come out of the woodworks :)
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Why would the F-18 or Rafale need to showcase this? Companies generally do not go into a self funded demonstration program until they have a pretty solid competitive program ahead of them. So far, neither Boeing or Dassault have had to offer something for STOBAR and the INs acquisition program is just getting started. You aren't going to get anything beyond M&S until there is a serious competitive acquisition program. On the F-35 program, the brits paid and leased out facility at Pax River, created the infrastructure so that they could clear the envelope for their aircraft carrier, so far a unique UK requirement.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

brar, that is true...but the IN also operates ski jump carriers. And if the F-35B can take off with a meaningful load from a ski jump carrier, EMALS becomes a moot point for the IN. Why do you need an expensive & complex system like EMALS when a ski jump can do the trick?

But i will concede that the F-35B is not on offer or taking part in the IN's fighter competition. So that is also a moot point :)
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The F-35B won't fit the current lifts on the two IN carriers.
Why do you need an expensive & complex system like EMALS when a ski jump can do the trick?
Because this launch mechanism for this very aircraft family enables an aircraft to carry 2800 kg of extra fuel, 25-30% additional range and a far more flexible, and larger payload.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

You can imagine the derision if that had been an Indian aircraft carrier.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

brar_w wrote:The F-35B won't fit the current lifts on the two IN carriers.

How definitive is this? Only thing in Mig-29K's favour is the folded wing span of 7.8m versus 11m for F-35B. Where can I find lift dimensions for all lifts on Vikky and IAC-1 to compare?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

I think the lift dimensions may have been posted here so try the search feature. As far as a visual context see -

http://www.giphy.com/gifs/3o6vY4qtMt99s8MzOo
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

^^^What's more efficient: changing the lift or getting a new cv?