Terroristan - June 20, 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Guddu
BRFite

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - June 20, 2017

Post by Guddu »

Falijee wrote:In Other News: Sad Times For Ganja Sharif :cry:
Begum Kulsoom Nawaz diagnosed with throat cancer: British doctor
Good way to get the sympathy vote, leave no throat unturned!
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Gagan wrote:Was this posted here before?

In case people have missed this, please do watch this 15 minute short film on the 1971 Pakistani surrender.
Starring Milind Soman as Gen Jacob, Yashpal Sharma as Gen Niazi (Excellent acting by Yashpal Sharma - including accent, mannerisms and punjabi/urdu/english)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGdIAf2J_k
Mods should make this short movie a sticky :mrgreen:
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Peregrine wrote:"We are not looking for any material or financial assistance from the US, but trust, understanding and [an] acknowledgment of our contributions."
Sounds like a nautch girl in heera-mandi, LaWhore, asking her john for respect, understanding and acknowledgement of her services in place of money.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

anupmisra wrote:
Peregrine wrote:"We are not looking for any material or financial assistance from the US, but trust, understanding and [an] acknowledgment of our contributions."
Sounds like a nautch girl in heera-mandi, LaWhore, asking her john for respect, understanding and acknowledgement of her services in place of money.
:twisted:
I can't type or put in words what my polluted mind is cooking up onlee.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

50 170 million not at risk of arsenic poisoning in Pakistan: study.
Some 50 million people are at risk of arsenic poisoning from contaminated groundwater in Pakistan's Indus Valley, far more than previously thought
They determined some 88 million people were living in high-risk areas.
they calculated that roughly 50 million maybe even 60 million were potentially affected
That's equal to at least a third of the 150 million already estimated by the World Health Organization to be drinking, cooking and farming with arsenic-laced water worldwide.
A survey submitted to Pakistan's parliament last year suggested nearly 80 percent of water sources in 2,807 villages across 24 districts were contaminated with bacteria or other pollutants, to levels that were unsafe to drink.
D'jinnah's pakistan.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1353482/50-mi ... stan-study
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The US should use carrot and stick policy on the Pakistani donkey.
Preferably on the wrong ends.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Peregrine wrote:Treat us with respect, Pakistan Army chief tells US envoy

The US Ambassador David Hale met Gen. Bajwa at the army's headquarters in Rawalpindi, where the latter was briefed on the US's new South Asia policy announced by President Trump . . . .
It is such behaviour that doesn't give me any confidence that the brave words of the Trump administration will be translated into any action at all. Hot air.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

fact of the matter is US treats no one with respect... US ki doosti bhi buri aur dushmani aur bhi buri !!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SSridhar wrote:
Peregrine wrote:Treat us with respect, Pakistan Army chief tells US envoy

The US Ambassador David Hale met Gen. Bajwa at the army's headquarters in Rawalpindi, where the latter was briefed on the US's new South Asia policy announced by President Trump . . . .
It is such behaviour that doesn't give me any confidence that the brave words of the Trump administration will be translated into any action at all. Hot air.
I don't think that it matters too much where they met. It is a matter of protocol.

where they see the advantage to themselves, the ambassadors will go to great lenghts to seize the opportunity.

Didn't the cheeni ambassador meet pappu at pappu's residence??
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Guddu wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGdIAf2J_k
Mods should make this short movie a sticky :mrgreen:
Niazi with all his bravado days before surrendering. "I never show my men. I will live or I will die. Price of freedom. Watch the bihari pakis towards the end"

Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYqqijkfSA

HUSSAIN HAQQANI EDUCATES AMERICAN ANALYST(she is Pakier than paki)
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

chetak wrote:
SSridhar wrote:
I don't think that it matters too much where they met. It is a matter of protocol.

where they see the advantage to themselves, the ambassadors will go to great lenghts to seize the opportunity.

Didn't the cheeni ambassador meet pappu at pappu's residence??
First of all, I was not referring to the location of the meeting. That was your assumption. Therefore, the meeting of Rahul Gandhi with the Chinese Ambassador, wherever that took place, is immaterial here.

I was referring to the fact that a meeting took place at all bypassing the civilian setup. I know that, as a keen watcher of Pakistan for three decades now, the Americans have been indulging in this practice since the 1950s and there is nothing new in that either. Diplomats and visiting foreign dignitaries meeting civilian political leaders of every hue is a normal practice. Even then, such meetings can raise eyebrows depending upon situations. But, that is different altogether from Ambassadors meeting military chiefs of the nation they are posted to and that too for every little thing, even if we have to grant that the new policy announcement for Af-Pak is a big issue.

I know that as a practitioner of realpolitik to its fullest, the American Administrations will do anything to "see the advantage to themselves" and "seize the opportunity".

I also know that statecraft is maximizing benefits and minimizing risks for one's own country.

And, that is exactly why I sounded the caution because I get a sense of people characterizing the mere words from a maverick American President as an 'epoch making' volte-face in American policy. Past American behaviour does not inspire confidence. We have been through these cycles before.

No, sir. Only actions would determine whether that is true or not and there is still some time away for making such a determination.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

^^^^^^^

The amrekis and the afghanis deal directly with the paki army when it suits them. They seem to have scant regard for the civilian setup, in fact, they both have more dealings with the paki army than with the civilians.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “India-US relations: News and Discussions IV”.

US Secretary of State humbly and politely enough requests India to “take some steps of rapprochement on issues with Pakistan to improve the stability within Pakistan and remove some of the reasons why they deal with these unstable elements inside their own country”.

India should in turn politely tell the US that we in India have no intention in interfering in the internal affairs of the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan by mitigating the blowback of the policy followed by the Islamic Republics Punjabi Military dominated Deep State of fomenting Mohammadden Terrorism in a vain attempt to intimidate neighbouring States like India.
Remarks
Rex W. Tillerson
Secretary of State
Press Briefing Room
Washington, DC
August 22, 2017 ……………………

MS NAUERT: Last question. Welcome, AFP. Front desk here.

QUESTION: Thank you. Thank you, Mr. Secretary. Don’t you fear on the other side that too much pressure, too tough pressure on Pakistan may destabilize the Islamabad and may have destabilizing all the region with having Taliban stronger in the country?

SECRETARY TILLERSON: That is a concern, and that’s why I made the comments I just made, that I think it’s important that Pakistan begin to think about its ability to contain these groups as well.

It’s why, though, we take a regional approach. The U.S. alone is not going to change this dynamic with Pakistan. India and Pakistan, they have their own issues that they have to continue to work through, but I think there are areas where perhaps even India can take some steps of rapprochement on issues with Pakistan to improve the stability within Pakistan and remove some of the reasons why they deal with these unstable elements inside their own country.

As I said, other regional players have strong interest in Pakistan. China has strong interest in Pakistan. Having a stable, secure future Pakistan is in a lot of our interests. They are a nuclear power. We have concerns about their weapons, the security of their weapons. There are many areas in which we believe we should be having very productive dialogue that serves both of our interests and regional interest as well.

So this is – again, this is not a situation where the U.S. is saying, “Look, it’s just us and you.” What our approach is to bring – as I said, these regional approaches is to bring all the other interest into this effort. Much as we’ve done with North Korea and assembling this global effort in North Korea, I think too often we try to distill these challenges down to where it’s just the U.S. and some other country and only between the two of us can we solve it. We have to enlarge the circle of interest and bring others to – into the effort as well, and that’s what we’ll be doing with Pakistan as well.
From the US State Department website:

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson Press Availability

Meanwhile any notion that the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan may have nurtured that US Secretary of State Tillerson’s call for “Rapprochement” implied a change in the hands-off US policy on Jammu & Kashmir, in line with India’s position that no third party mediation will be permitted in the resolution of J&K, goes up smoke. In addition any hope that the Punjabi Military dominated Deep State of the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan may have harboured of leveraging a down hill skiing surrender to the US on the matter of fomenting Mohammadden Terrorism in Afghanistan for support on Jammu & Kashmir, goes up in smoke.
Heather Nauert
Spokesperson
Department Press Briefing
Washington, DC
August 23, 2017 ………………………….

QUESTION: And – thank you. Just in terms of the – of Pakistan, yesterday, Secretary Tillerson said that India – even India could take some steps of rapprochement to remove some of the reasons why Pakistan deals with these unstable elements inside their country. What was he referring to in terms of the steps India could take?

MS NAUERT: I think one of the things that we would do is ask or encourage India and Pakistan to sit down together and engage in direct dialogue that is aimed at reducing tensions between both of those countries.

QUESTION: So is he linking, for example, a solution – a policy on – of – for a solution on Kashmir with Pakistan-Afghanistan issues?

MS NAUERT: Well, I think going up to 30,000 feet, we view the whole strategy and handling Afghanistan as being a regional strategy, and that, of course, incorporates India as well as Pakistan, so incorporating all the nations in that region who can – we believe can help assist and help make Afghanistan a stable place where you’ll never have a terror group that will take root in that country again and can launch attacks on other countries.

QUESTION: Yeah, but does the U.S. see pushing for a solution on Kashmir as part of this regional strategy to deal with Afghanistan?

MS NAUERT: In terms of Kashmir, our policy on that has not changed. We continue to encourage the sides to sit down and talk together about that.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Gagan wrote:
anupmisra wrote:
:twisted:
I can't type or put in words what my polluted mind is cooking up onlee.
Gagan Ji :

Sir Ji, Your Polluted Mind is still "Unpolluted". Here is a chance to Pollute it by way of a Rhyme i.e. What Does Flute Rhyme with? :twisted:
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - June 20, 2017

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the J&K News and Discussion tHREAD

Pakistan tries to link Kashmir to US Afghanistan strategy, Washington remains firm the two issues aren't linked

NEW DELHI: Pakistan may want to link Kashmir to the US's revamped Afghanistan strategy but Washington today made it clear Kashmir isn't part of the equation.

The US said its position on the troubled Indian state remains intact: Both sides should sit down and talk.

The US state department today was firm about this in response to a specific media question on the issue.

The question: "...does the U.S. see pushing for a solution on Kashmir as part of this regional strategy to deal with Afghanistan?"

The state department spokeswoman indicated "no" saying that nothing has changed with regard to the US policy on Kashmir.

"In terms of Kashmir, our policy on that has not changed. We continue to encourage the sides to sit down and talk together about that," said spokeswoman Heather Nauert.

Pakistan, on the other hand, went right ahead and linked the US's revamped Afghan strategy - which included possibly the harshest warning toward Pakistan in recent times about it harbouring terrorists - to Kashmir.

Here's what Pakistan foreign ministry said, in an official statement, after US President Donald Trump announced the US's new strategy for Afghanistan and the region:

"The threat to peace and security cannot be isolated from the complex interplay of geopolitics, continued existence of festering disputes and pursuit of hegemonic policies. Non-resolution of the Jammu and Kashmir dispute remains the primary obstacle to peace and stability in the region," said Pakistan's foreign office statement.

To be sure, the US state department spokeswoman did say that the new regional strategy incorporates India and Pakistan, but she made it clear it was from a "30,000 feet" up perspective

"Well, I think going up to 30,000 feet, we view the whole strategy and handling Afghanistan as being a regional strategy, and that, of course, incorporates India as well as Pakistan...", said Nauert.

Still, for the US, that doesn't mean Kashmir, it means anything that will make Afghanistan stable again.

To that extent, "...incorporating all the nations in that region who can - we believe can help assist and help make Afghanistan a stable place where you'll never have a terror group that will take root in that country again and can launch attacks on other countries", is a regional approach.

Trump, in fact, went one step further in getting India involved in its Afghanistan strategy+ , in a manner that makes Islamabad extremely uncomfortable. He said specifically while announcing the new Afghanistan strategy that the US wants India "to help us more with Afghanistan".

Pakistan has ad infinitum tried to internationalise the Kashmir issue by trying to get the US, UN and others involved. But to no avail. Now, cornered, even by the US, it's rattled.

The New York Times reported yesterday, citing unnamed sources, that "Trump's appeal for India's help on Afghanistan set off alarm bells on Tuesday in Pakistan, where officials warned that the approach risked jolting a tumultuous relationship."

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

anupmisra wrote:
anupmisra Ji :
You got it in ONE. :rotfl:

Cheers Image
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

anupmisra wrote:
:rotfl:
Exactly my thoughts saar
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Pakistan’s filmmakers encouraged to work in and with Italy
Roberto Stabile, Head of the International Department at ANICA (Italian Association of Cinematography and Audiovisual Industry)...pesented the many opportunities that Pakistan’s burgeoning audio-visual industry could take up, in Italy.
One, there stands the issue of visa issuance for Pakistanis but Dr Gianluca Rubagotti, Consul General of Italy in Karachi, assured that “no one with a serious mind to do business in Italy had ever been refused a visa.”
Well played, Signore Rubagotti, well played. Canned answer. The onus is on you, pakis. But, here's the rub that possibly rubbed the pakis the wrong way.
Second is the issue of cost, because filming in Italy – whether for the landscape or the technical assistance – would be costly as compared to Asia.
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys,” Dr Rubagotti said humouredly
Pakis were not pleased. Are paki techs, actors, directors, writers...cheap monkeys?

https://www.thenews.com.pk/magazine/ins ... with-Italy
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

@WIONews Aug 23

Air strikes on terror groups in Pakistan on table: Tillerson
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Air strikes on Taliban, Terror Groups in Pakistan on table : US

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has refused to rule out the use of military action, involving air strikes, on terror groups in Pakistan and cutting off its status as a privileged military ally if Islamabad doesn't crack down on the Taliban and other extremist groups.

"We are going to attack terrorists wherever they live, and we have put people on notice that if you are harboring or providing safe haven to terrorists, be warned, be forewarned," Washington Examiner quoted Tillerson as saying.

"All those things... are on the table for discussion, if, in fact, they are unwilling to change their posture or change their approach to how they're dealing with the numerous terrorist organizations that find safe haven in Pakistan," he added.

"Pakistan must adopt a different approach, and we are ready to work with them to help them protect themselves against these terrorist organizations. We are going to be conditioning our support for Pakistan and our relationship with them on them delivering results in this area.

"We have some leverage in terms of aid, their status as a non-NATO alliance partner -- all of that can be put on the table," he further said.

Reinforcing U.S. President Donald Trump's warning issued to Pakistan over its alleged support to extremist groups in the region, the U.S. Secretary of State said, "There's been an erosion in trust because we have witnessed terrorist organizations being given safe haven inside of Pakistan to plan and carry out attacks against U.S. servicemen, U.S. officials, disrupting peace efforts inside of Afghanistan.?

Meanwhile,U.S. National Security Council (NSC) spokesperson Michael Anton has warned that President Donald Trump is planning to impose sanctions on terrorists including the Haqqani network having links to the Pakistan Governemnt and has outrightly dismissed its allegations against India's encirclement through Afghanistan.

While announcing U.S. policy on Afghanistan and South Asia, President Trump has vowed to win the war in Afghanistan by committing more US troops as he called on Nato allies such as Britain to increase troop numbers "in line with our own".

"We will ask our Nato allies and global partners to support our new strategy with additional troop and funding increases in line without own - we are confident they will," Trump said.

Added later : On 22-08-2017 : Rex Tillerson puts Pakistan 'on notice' for sheltering terrorists

Cheers Image
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Two men tried to break into Altaf’s house: MQM-London

Owen Bennett-JonesUpdated August 24, 2017
LONDON: The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) in London has said that there has been an unsuccessful attempt to break into the north London house of party leader Altaf Hussain. The party said that two individuals, one thought to be Asian in appearance and the other African, tried to break into the MQM leader’s house in middle of the night of Aug 22-23. Spotted by neighbours and guards, the suspects escaped in a white car. In a statement, the MQM-London said that the incident could not only have been a botched break-in but also an attempt to murder or inflict physical damage on Mr Hussain. The party said that the break-in involved the two men climbing over a neighbour’s wall at 2am in the morning.
The MQM has appealed to the British Prime Minister Theresa May to take stern notice of the incident and to take immediate steps both to bring the culprits to justice and to provide foolproof security for Mr Hussain. Altaf Bhai has been causing a lot of "takleef" to the Paki Establishment - abusing the Paki Fauj in fiery radio speeches from Londonistan, meeting anti-Pakistan congressman and senators from Massaland, seeking alliance with the Baloch leadership in exile, expressing sympathy to Ganja over his judicial outster, so there is every reason to suspect the Deep State and/or their minions towards this attempt to harm him physically !
Altaf Hussain’s house in Abbey View has been subject of police activity before. As part of its investigations into the 2010 murder of senior MQM party official, Imran Farooq, the UK police raided the party’s offices in north London and Altaf Hussain’s home. Police officers found significant amounts of cash and other documents. Those finds led to a long-running money laundering investigation that was eventually dropped in 2016.While the investigations into Imran Farooq’s murder and the money laundering allegations are now closed, the British authorities are still considering the possibility of bringing hate crime charges against Mr Hussain. The question is whether some of his more inflammatory speeches incited violence in Pakistan. The MQM-London insists that his speeches did not do that and that any suggestion that they did so is to misinterpret what Mr Hussain said. By no means can Altaf be called a "clean politician". He is doing everything in his power to get a "fair deal" for the mohajirs in the Pakjabi dominated atmosphere of Paki politics :mrgreen:
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Pakistan Can Now "Draw Comfort" From Tillerson's "Balancing" Remarks .

Tillerson urges India to seek rapprochement with Pakistan :roll:
WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, while underlining the measures the Trump administration can take to prevent Pakistan from allegedly supporting the Afghan Taliban, has also reminded India of the need to “take some steps of rapprochement” for improving ties with Pakistan.
At his Tuesday afternoon news briefing, Mr Tillerson also asked India to remove the reasons that create unstable elements inside the country. So, he is somehow blaming India for instability in Pakistan :eek:
“There are areas where perhaps even India can take some steps of rapprochement on issues with Pakistan to improve the stability within Pakistan and remove some of the reasons why they deal with these unstable elements inside their own country,” he said.Such a veiled and meek reference to the issues that divide the two neighbours cannot persuade India to resume talks with Pakistan nor can it convince New Delhi to do some soul-searching, as Mr Tillerson suggested. IMO, he is playing some sort of "balancing act" to soften the disappointment of the "warning" to Pakistan !
Mr Tillerson said that during months-long discussion on the new South Asia strategy, US policymakers also discussed the measures they could take to persuade Pakistan to stop its alleged support to the Afghan Taliban. These include ending or reducing US aid and military assistance to Pakistan and rescinding Pakistan’s status as a non-Nato partner. The secretary said the United States came to this conclusion because “we have witnessed terrorist organisations being given safe haven inside of Pakistan to plan and carry out attacks against US servicemen”.“Don’t you fear that too much pressure on Pakistan may destabilise Islamabad and strengthen the Taliban?” asked a journalist.“That is a concern, and that’s why I made the comments I just made, that I think it’s important that Pakistan begin to think about its ability to contain these groups as well,” Mr Tillerson replied.
The top US diplomat claimed that if Pakistan continued “to allow Taliban and other such organisations to grow and maintain their presence inside the country”, they would become a threat to “their stability and the survival of their government in the years ahead”.Mr Tillerson said that Pakistan was important for the United States because Washington wanted to engage the Taliban in peace talks whenever the conditions permitted that. I think the US is pushing for some sort of a "lite Taliban" regime in Kabul . Whether this is acceptable to other ethnic groups, or whether the "lite Taliban" could one day morph again to its old form, no body in Kabul can guarantee . As far as Pakistan is concerned, IMO, it wants nothing else than an anti- India regime installed in Kabul. In present day Afghanistan, this will not be possible for Pakistan :mrgreen:
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

ISI's "Side Business" Exposed By Paki Auditor General :mrgreen:

Motorway Police purchase weapons from ISI, PAC told
ISLAMABAD: The department of Auditor General of Pakistan told the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Tuesday that the National Highways and Motorway Police (NH&MP) had purchased weapons and ammunition of Rs10.1 million from the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) in violation of rules.
The committee was told as per rules and regulations, government departments were authorised to only purchase weapons and ammunition from the Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) or from outside. Some some jernail or some kernail or "friends" in two depts are making some deals on the side and "screwing" their own POF . So much so for Paki patriotism !
The committee, chaired by Mushahid Hussain Sayed, examined audit paras related to the National Highway Authority (NHA) for the financial year 2014-15.
Though the PML-N members of the committee demanded a probe, Mushahid ( who is a well known apologist for the Deep State !) who was chairing in place of Syed Khursheed Shah, did not agree with the demand saying there was no need for inquiry and settled the issue. Defending the purchase of ammunition from the secret agency instead of POF, IG Motorway Police told the committee that the ammunition was purchased at cheaper rates compared with the market price.
Senator Chaudhry Tanveer questioned whether the secret agency was authorised to sell weapons and whether or not the secret agency officials could also be summoned for explanation. Mushahid remarked that the secret agency might have sold the leftover ammunition used during the Afghan jehad and that the issue did not fall within the committee’s purview. He said the national exchequer was benefited from this deal. He then declared the issue closed. Seems that Mushahid may have decided in advance to shield the ISI from further scrutiny, for a "certain" quid pro quo :twisted:
Meanwhile, audit officials told the committee that a private company had provided inferior cloth for the Motorway Police uniform causing a loss of Rs20.19 million. The committee was told that the company provided 72,500 meter cloth but the Motorway Police failed to fix responsibility. The committee directed the Ministry of Communication to submit the inquiry report within one month. :roll: The enquiry report when completed will be "forgotten" as usual and will gather dust , instead of being implemented for necessary action !

Just like the Paki Senate, ( another "showpiece" ) this PAC is another body set up to give the illusion that democracy in Pakistan is "robust and alive " , never mind that "petty corruption" - like the one above - is exposed for the benefit of the Aam Abduls ( see we are doing our jobs!) meanwhile the Big Fish are operating "under the radar" and there is no chance that they will be brought to book :mrgreen:
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

You heard it here first! Baki generals will now give at least 1 nuke to Taliban.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Paki Auditor: Railways Are In A Financial Mess.

Rs. 93 Billion in Irregularities Found in Pakistan Railways
year 2016-17 revealed 12 cases of theft of Railways material valued at Rs 178 million.
Railways land worth of Rs 68.071 billion has been encroached
The report detected various financial irregularities valued to the tune of Rs 2.622 billion during audit of Project of Rehabilitation of Signaling System (LON-SDR).
PR sustained a loss of Rs 123.81 million on account of burning and damages of rolling stock.
An amount of Rs 9.75 million was not recovered on account of LD charges
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Longish Article but it gives us a true Picture of the Land of Ilm is also the Land of Fake Degrees!

I’m a professor and here’s how Pakistani public universities fabricate research degrees

Research programmes at most public university departments in Pakistan are highly dubious and purely a mockery of research. The problem lies with the very vision universities have when it comes to research and the purpose of scientific inquiry.

Universities run research programmes in order to improve their rankings in the race created by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) after 2002, whereby ranking is based on how many research publications a university has to its credit, forcing them to become paper producing factories.

Each year, in a bid to come out on top for number of publications, subject-based entry tests are conducted by many public universities for the enrollment of researchers into MPhil and PhD degree programmes. In most cases, potential scholars obtaining 50 percent marks are enrolled. In some cases, however, this cut-off point is brought lower to a 40 to 30 percent score.

One can only speculate as to the quality of research undertaken by a student who masters only 30 percent knowledge of their core subject. Each year, batches of 20 to 30 of such potential scholars are thus placed in each research-focused discipline.

Related: Why Pakistanis are among the least innovative in the world

An important thing to note is that a sizeable number of this batch of researchers consists of working men and women looking to climb the career ladder, as rightly observed by Dr Idrees Khawaja in his noteworthy article in Dawn, Part-time PhD.

These part-time researchers, usually working in the day and enrolled in evening PhD programmes, are more practical in handling their research tasks rather than idealistic. Instead of conducting research, they manage research. They know how to tackle this important yet ‘easy’ degree without putting in too much time and effort into the process.

Using their socialisation and interpersonal skills, they make friends with key faculty in their respective departments. Then a process of give-this-and-take-that starts. The faster and better they facilitate their supervisors, the sooner and easier they earn their degrees.

Another chunk of students consists of those who are in search of jobs after completing their degrees, wanting to productively utilise time which would otherwise be spent waiting on employment.

There is also a percentage of students – albeit meagre – who are seriously interested in conducting proper research, and this is the lot which suffers the most in an environment where actual research has no value.
The course work lasts one year, and this is a relatively easier part of the research degree. Actual research kicks off only after completion of the coursework, and this is where the difficulty begins.

The process of conducting research for PhD scholars in most public sector universities begins by choosing an area of study which interests the researcher or a problem which merits investigation. Having identified the area of research, the scholar selects a supervisor to oversee the research. The scholar then prepares a proposal outlining their approach to the problem or the direction the research will take.

The proposal is then scrutinised and approved by a committee of professors that gives the go-ahead for the research to begin. The research is then conducted based on the approved proposal and a document is prepared discussing the outcomes.

The scholar is then required to present the findings – first, in a number of seminars, and then before a committee of two external examiners for a final viva voce. At the end, the approval of the thesis by the Board of Advanced Studies and Research (BASR) is given, which then awards the scholar the degree.

This is a hectic process, as it is supposed to be. But instead of going through the process, students in many Pakistani public universities – as in other public institutions of the country – also have the option of setting up an understanding with their superiors.
It is a type of undocumented agreement between the professor and the scholar in terms of how much the student is willing to pay – or reward the professor with non-monetary benefits – to get through the research process with minimal effort.

There are cases in which the supervisor does everything for the student, from writing the synopsis, to making the seminar presentations, developing the thesis and, finally, getting it reviewed and approved. However, generally, there is partial facilitation.

Thus incentivised, many professors have more candidates under their guidance than the HEC’s approved limit. In some universities, a single professor guides more than 20 researchers simultaneously. According to the conditions set by the HEC, a supervisor is permitted to supervise a maximum of five scholars at a time.

Under special circumstances, a supervisor with a good track record of research and publications in high impact factor journals (those journals whose articles get frequently cited) can supervise eight scholars with prior approval of the HEC. In many cases, however, neither does the supervising professor meet this criterion nor is any proper approval sought.

At the conclusion of the research, MPhil students have to present their work at two departmental seminars. For PhD students, there is one additional seminar (making it a total of three seminars).

The scholar’s seminar presentations are extensively rehearsed and practiced. Potential questions are discussed and their answers explained. In many cases, someone from the supervisor’s circles is given a set of already-discussed questions to ask at the seminar so that difficult ones are balanced.

Read next: Research culture in Pakistan: The ‘undisclosed’ moral decadence

The two departmental seminars are supervised and approved by the dean of the respective faculty. One can only wonder about the logic of appointing the dean as a supervisor. Every faculty consists of many academically and technically different disciplines. Deans are appointed from one discipline of the relevant faculty on the basis of seniority.

For example, the dean of natural sciences originally hailing from the physics department has to supervise, comment on and decide whether a work presented by a scholar from plant sciences or analytical chemistry is worth approving.

Similarly, the dean of the Faculty of Arts originally belonging to the Arabic language and literature department has to analyse the concept of beauty in the poetry of William Blake presented by a researcher from English and literature department, for instance.

It is not only technical incorrect but equally embarrassing for the supervising dean. The outcomes of such seminars are quite obvious. Every seminar, after a five-minute session of questions and comments, is met with an applause of approval from the audience who are mostly graduate students and some friends of the researcher.

The additional seminar, for PhD students only, is supervised by the vice-chancellor and an external expert of the discipline. It is just as easy as the departmental seminars to deal with. The vice-chancellor has to approve the seminar based on the technical input by the external expert. This expert, in many cases, is very friendly and cooperative as they have a deal with the supervisor to exchange favours. Their facilitation today will be returned by the supervising professor tomorrow.

These external examiners are academics teaching in industrially/academically-advanced countries. There is a list of such countries prescribed by the HEC on its website. The supervisors have links with international examiners from these regions. Some examiners are either former students of the supervisors or their friends who did doctoral research with them.

In most cases, as I have observed personally, in some public sector universities these foreign examiners are ex-students of supervisors from some African and Middle-Eastern countries or some Pakistani academics teaching abroad. Many international examiners are not from the HEC-prescribed industrially/academically advance countries.

Most of the time the foreign examiner or ‘expert’ reaches one day before the seminar and the research scholar is presented with a full opportunity to interact with and appease them. Lavish luncheons or dinners are usually arranged in honour of the ‘expert’ at the best possible venue.

Thus a pre-seminar interaction between the scholar and the examiners takes place which raises the confidence of the scholar and in most cases gives them a clue of what may potentially be asked of them in the seminar the next morning. Resultantly, the final seminar becomes more of a ceremonial formality than an academic inspection and scrutiny.

After completion of required number of seminars, the PhD scholar is eligible to submit their research thesis for further evaluation, if they fulfill another condition: one research publication in an HEC-recognised journal.

HEC-recognised journals fall into four categories: W, X, Z and Y, with W being the best and the Y being the lowest in quality. W category journals are impact factor journals whereas X category journals, second-best in Pakistan, meet all conditions of the HEC but do not have any impact factor.

Y category journals also meet all conditions of the HEC except one: peer-review by at least one expert from an industrially/academically advanced country in the respective discipline. Z category journals are short of two conditions: it neither gets international peer-review nor is indexed/abstracted internationally by a recognised agency.

The research publication requirement is usually met by publishing the paper in a Z or Y category research journal of the same university. This is not a big deal for a professor of the university. They easily can, and in most cases do, submit an acceptance letter instead of the actual publication to expedite the process.

The thesis is evaluated by two national and two international examiners. Though intended for quality assurance of the research, this process is equally managed and made hostage to the will of supervisors.
Instead of sending the thesis to anonymous examiners at home and abroad, the professor is asked to provide the names of the evaluators. What the professor does is not difficult to guess. They have a pool of friendly and cooperative examiners at both levels. They brief them and get the thesis evaluated positively within a given amount of time.

Having received positive and in most cases praising evaluation reports, the final viva voce for the thesis is arranged. Two examiners from other local universities are invited, who in most cases are the same who have evaluated the thesis locally. This oral examination is just another formality of the process. By this time, the scholar and examiners know each other very well and the thesis has already become a solved paper for the examiners and examinee.

The final stage toward being awarded the research degree is the approval by the BASR. In the meeting, it has to be decided by a committee whether a certain degree is worth awarding. One is left clueless as to what remains to be checked by the BASR after a thesis has already been recommended by four evaluators and the candidate is examined in a viva voce. Clapistanis especially the Fair Beauties are Very Very Good at Vica Voce

The educational sector in our country needs major revamping. Solutions have been presented elsewhere and I am not going to repeat them. I also want to disclaim that not all professors and supervisors engage in such practices. There is a good number of highly committed, honest and professional teachers in all universities in Pakistan. The purpose is not to malign them indiscriminately.

Rather, I want to show two things through this article. Firstly, to highlight the negative elements present in the faculties at various public sector universities in Pakistan. Secondly, I want to draw the attention of the concerned authorities including the HEC, university leadership and teachers’ bodies toward the loopholes, faults and shortcomings in the research system that allow such elements to hijack the very purpose of the research.

Pakistan's public education system, at the beginning, was not in the hopeless state it is today. Many Pakistanis went on to achieve great success at home and abroad after studying at Urdu and Sindhi-medium schools.

The desolate situation that we are witnessing at present is due to the failures of the government over many decades, with HEC playing an important role in ruining the university research system due to its hyper focus on producing research papers. If the problems are not addressed, the slide will continue and Pakistan's future will remain bleak.

Cheers Image
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Haha.....very friendly ally indeed.
Takes just few pinpricks for real pakistaniyat to ooze out. Im loving it
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Paki F.O. Accuses "Good Haqqani" Of Being In Bed" With POTUS

Khawaja Asif accuses Hussain Haqqani of 'authoring' Trump's new policy :roll:
Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif on Thursday called on ex-president Asif Zardari to "rein in" former ambassador to the United States (US), Hussain Haqqani, accusing the latter of "authoring" President Donald Trump's new South Asia policy. Asif, in a tweet, said: "President Zardari instead of criticising [the] government, [should] rein in Haqqani his ambassador to US, taking credit of authoring US policy President Trump announced." Instead of "complaining" to Dus Percenti, he should take this further and make a mention of this to Tillerson !
Haqqani responded to the tweet soon after, saying Pakistan's foreign minister should "deal with the policy instead of trying to bully an exiled Pakistani on Twitter."
IMO, Asif is not "upto this job" !
Asif's tweet comes days after the US administration, signalling a shift in their policy towards Pakistan, threatened to cut off aid to Pakistan for providing 'safe haven' to terrorists.
"We can no longer be silent about Pakistan's safe havens for terrorist organisations," Trump had said earlier this week, warning that vital aid could be cut. "We have been paying Pakistan billions and billions of dollars at the same time they are housing the very terrorists that we are fighting," he said. "That will have to change and that will change immediately."
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Govt Owned Distributing Cos AKA Discos Are "Ripping Off " The Paki Electricity Consumer To The Tune Of Rs 120 Billion Per Annum !

Discos mint Rs120bn annually by overcharging
ISLAMABAD: The government-owned distribution companies (Discos) are charging consumers double the fuel cost of electricity as advance billing and refunding only half of the overcharged amount on the regulator’s orders, thus earning a windfall revenue of more than Rs120 billion annually. And the Abduls cannot do a damn thing about it :mrgreen:
This was disclosed at a public hearing on Wednesday when the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) ordered the state-run Discos to refund Rs20bn to consumers at the rate of Rs1.71 per unit for overcharging them in July. The refund would be adjusted ( hopefully ) in the upcoming billing month.
Under the practice in vogue, Discos are charging significantly higher estimated fuel cost to power consumers. The estimated cost is later adjusted against the actual cost in a subsequent month with the approval of the power regulator. The practice helps power companies generate billions of rupees from consumers in advance and have better cash flows without financing costs.

Paki "Electrician" In Action: Note the "No Safety Gloves", No Hard Hat, No Safety Shoes , No Uniform, No Safety Glasses :mrgreen:
PS: Most likely, there would not be any compensation ( or hard to get same !) in case of work accident and /or work hazard.!

jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

Well, it is clear that the Isloo PakiSatanis are all suddenly very upset with Trump and the Amreekians. Upset enough that I am beginning to feel sorry for them, and therefore, to cheer them up, I would like to offer them some country music entertainment by El Gringo:

This was also originally broadcast a few months back on the Walton and Johnson radio show (http://www.waltonandjohnson.com/). Here is the recording of the audio clip from that show:
Pakistani Saturday Night
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Mapping terrorist groups openly operating inside Pakistan
By Bill Roggio & Alexandra Gutowski
Yesterday, Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs took umbrage with President Trump’s speech where he called out Pakistan for harboring terrorist groups. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs claimed that “Pakistan does not allow use of its territory against any country,” and denounced the so-called “false narrative of safe havens.”
Pakistan’s denial is laughable on its face. For decades, the country has permitted a number of jihadist groups to openly operate under its aegis. Many of these groups – such as Lashkar-e-Taiba, Harakat-ul-Muhahideen, Jaish-e-Mohammad, Hizbul Mujahideen, and Harakat ul-Jihad-i-Islami – were created with the support of Pakistan’s military and the Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate.
A map depicting the location some of these groups have known to operate from is embedded to illustrate the support Trump spoke about.
Pakistan is in denial !!!
Pakistan helped create these groups with the idea that they would focus their activities against Indian forces in the state of Jammu and Kashmir to help bring down the country’s most critical enemy in India. Instead, these groups quickly became part of the South Asia jihadist network and allied themselves with the Taliban and al Qaeda. Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) was even formed at the behest of Osama bin Laden and Abdullah Azzam.
Bill Roggio knows what he is talking about :twisted:
The Pakistani state has supported the Afghan Taliban since its founding. Without Pakistani support and safe haven, the Afghan Taliban would likely have a difficult time waging a successful insurgency in Afghanistan. The Afghan Taliban dinks and dunks across the border with ease, in and out of the tribal regions, where they plot, execute and then return to safety in Pakistan – where it also recruits, runs madrassas and training camps, and receives medical care for its wounded.
The Pakistani military and intelligence services support the Hafiz Gul Bahadar and the Mullah Nazir Groups, despite the fact that these two Taliban organizations wage jihad in Afghanistan and support al Qaeda and other terrorist movements.
While the Pakistan government has targeted and killed or captured key al Qaeda leaders inside Pakistan, the fact that Osama bin Laden was able to live in a large home just outside of Abbottabad, the nation’s West Point, and direct al Qaeda’s operations for years raises serious questions about what Pakistani military and intelligence leaders knew and if he received direct support.
Lashkar-e-Jhangvi began as an anti-Shia group and has joined the jihadist network. The Tehreek-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi is a Taliban movement in northwestern Pakistan. Both have attacked the Pakistani state. Despite this, the Pakistani government has tolerated their existence.
This map does not include groups such as the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, the Islamic Jihad Union, the Turkistan Islamic Party, and others as these terrorist outfits wage war against these Pakistani state, and the Pakistan military has actively targeted them. As long as the "groups" are Anti - India, they are tolerated and/or kept in reserve for future! If the "groups" are Anti-Pak (like the Pakistani Taliban or TTP) they are immediately labelled as pro India or creation of RAA , without any evidence whatsoever !
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Tillerson's comments only reflects that India TSP equal equal is still alive and he is trying to resuscitate it while preserving core US interests which at the moment calls for some tough talk against TSP. Also, remember, whether its US state dept, or think tanks, or Pentagon/CIA, and of course among Indian's RNI/NRI Lutyen elite, there is an entrenched view that "Hindu extremism" and "Hindu nationalism" and TSP's pigLeTs are equivalent. So poor TSP's anti-India blood lust must be understood in this context, so goes the mantra. So when Tillerson says India must address poor TSP's concerns, he means India shed its nationalist core and hand over the Kashmir valley to TSP on a silver platter. Or as Sonia Gandhi's Congoon slaves would want, have some kind of "joint sovereignty" as a colossal mark of "secularism" and isolate "extremists on both sides".

Unless either US recognizes or stops pretending that it does not recognize the evil that plagues TSP: destruction of India en route to flying their green crescent on the red fort in New Delhi as inheritors of the "great" Mughal empire, US will not have an adequate winnable strategy in AfPak. But of course, realizing that means US itself accepting India as great civilization and transcending its TFTA colonial/racist and/or civilizational contempt towards India that it shares with TTSP and China.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

What I liked about this is, unless I have missed it, is that GoI has barely commented on this new churning (for a lack of better word) in the US-Paki relations. Pakis have been desperately trying to draw us in and we have not taken the bait.

CRamSJi, I would suggest that you leave the chaddi twisting to the Pakis and just sit back and enjoy with a plate of murmura as client and escort haggle over the rates..
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

^^^ Yes, I have not seen too many noisy debates on TV either unless I missed them.

No chaddi twisting, just a statement of facts based on US/TSP 101.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Here is a partial list that I map & follow:
  1. Lashkar-e-Taoiba (LeT)
  2. Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ)
  3. Harkat-ul-Mujahideen (HuM)
  4. Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP & factions)
  5. Al-Badr Mujahideen
  6. Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI)
  7. Hizb-ut-Tahrir (HuT)
  8. Tehreek-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi (TNSM)
  9. Harkat-ul-Mujahideen-al-Alami (HMA)
  10. Brigade 313
  11. Harkat-ul-Ansar(HuA)
  12. Jandullah (Army of Allah)
  13. Jundullah
  14. Sunni Tehrik
  15. Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan (SSP)
  16. Al-Muhajiroun
  17. Khudamul Furqan
  18. Tanzeem-ul-Ikhwan
  19. Zafar Group
  20. Tariq-e-Nifaz-e-Fiqh-e-Jaafaaria (TNFJ)
  21. Lashkar-e-Islam
  22. Tehreek Islami Lashkar-e-Mohammedi
  23. Islamic Jihad Union (IJU
  24. United Jihadi Council (UJC)
  25. Tora Bora Group
  26. Al Kini Group
  27. Jama’at-al-Fuqra
  28. Fidayeen-e-Islam
  29. Jama’at Ishaat Al Tauheed Wal Sunnah
  30. Ghazi Force
  31. Jama’t al Furqan
  32. Abdullah Azzam Brigade
  33. Ansar-ul-Ummah
  34. Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU)
  35. East Turkestan Independence Movement (ETIM)
  36. Sipah-e-Mohammed (SM)
  37. Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM)
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Kashi wrote:What I liked about this is, unless I have missed it, is that GoI has barely commented on this new churning (for a lack of better word) in the US-Paki relations. Pakis have been desperately trying to draw us in and we have not taken the bait.

CRamSJi, I would suggest that you leave the chaddi twisting to the Pakis and just sit back and enjoy with a plate of murmura as client and escort haggle over the rates..
GoI should not talk at this point in time. They should only say something to the tune that (i) we appreciate that DT has recognized the threat to India and the region posed by Pakistan which is the stand long held by us and (ii) we have always been contributing to the economic betterment and stability of Afghanistan through peaceful means.

No point coming across as henchmen of the Americans, doesn't benefit us at all.
CRamS wrote:Unless either US recognizes or stops pretending that it does not recognize the evil that plagues TSP: destruction of India en route to flying their green crescent on the red fort in New Delhi as inheritors of the "great" Mughal empire, US will not have an adequate winnable strategy in AfPak. But of course, realizing that means US itself accepting India as great civilization and transcending its TFTA colonial/racist and/or civilizational contempt towards India that it shares with TTSP and China.
Absolutely! Pakistan is cheap insurance (well has been relatively cheap so far) against the long term and inevitable rise of India, so it's highly unlikely that we will see the powers - every single one of them - China, Europe, US even Russia and Israel be willing to dismantle Pakistan, placing India with no opposition on the Western front.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The Trump presidency gives the UA and wqorld a great opportunity to emasculate Paki terror and nuclear prolif. once and for all. Finall a US administration has called Pak's bluff.However,just calling it aim't enough.The US and Trum,Tillerson and co.,must put their money where their mouth is.For too many decades have we watched this farce continue,like Agatha Christie's long running play "The Mousetrap".Pak,misbehaves,the US/West blow off steam,Pak cringes and grovels,Pak is pardoned,given more gifts of mil and eco aid,Pak misbehave sagain and so on and so forth.

This time mil and eco sanctions must be firmly applied.The Paki envoy must be turfed out. A deadline given to Pak for the handing over of along list of terrorists,including many on India's list too. After all,they protected Osama until it became inconvenient for them and they betrayed him.If the deadline is not met,second phase should start.The US must take mil action and impose a naval and air blockade of Pak. Tomahawk strikes aplenty..
Third phase,eliminating P{ak's N and BM capability.It has been an N-proliferator,enabling NoKo to progress to the advanced stage that it has achieved. Therefore if this isn't gonna happen,then even this threat is mere kabuki.

However,we must remember that the US had very often turned its Paki policy on its head and "rescued" Pak to suit its own interests.Moreover,this is also a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The US has also supported ISIS and co. along with the Soothis and Gulfies in the not to recent past against Assad until the Russians came-a-calling with their Bear,Backfires and Blackjacks!
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Don't waste you breathe on this. Rest is all bonus.