Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Suresh S
BRFite

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Post by Suresh S »

Man I wanted sindhu to win. Suraj beat me to it. Sindhu will certainly become a world champ very soon. she need to go to the next level on strength and stamina. She is good in both aspects but go to the next level to prepare for insane finals like these. extraordinary match. both deserved to win but unfortunately only one can.As suraj said tall palyers have one issue , positive is great reach but negative is they have to work extra hard for strength. It is simple muscle physics. I am having same issues with own daughter.My only consolation she lost to our friends the Japanese.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Why choker @Pvsindhu1 is still not pure gold standard, writes @ronnie_sandip | Opinion

http://www.hindustantimes.com/other-spo ... yluXO.html
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

I think that idiot has never played sports. A choker doesn't last for nearly two hours. The guy has no idea of badminton. So he doesn't know how good Okuhara played. Some ranking differences don't matter at this level. So a complete idiot.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Mahesh Bhupathi‏Verified account @Maheshbhupathi 12h12 hours ago
More
Articles like this is one of the reasons Indian sport is not where it should be. Shame on @htTweets
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/abh ... 170822.htm

Abhinav Bindra, the only Indian to win a solo gold medal, says lack of a sporting culture is hurting India's chances at events like the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

Implementing stop gap solutions, the 2008 Olympic champion points out, is not the way forward if India wants to improve its medals tally at mega sporting events.

"For us to develop as a sporting nation, we can't reach our aspirations if that (stop-gap solutions) is our model. We can't just keep plugging in the gaps. We need a system which is smooth and rolling and world class. Only then will it deliver results," the champion shooter said in Mumbai on Monday.

"If we look to only plug the gaps in a hope that it will give the impetus and it will give the result... yes, it will give the results, but it will be restricted to medals here and there," he added.

"If we want 30, 40 medals then it requires the whole system to work very smoothly," Bindra told Rediff.com on the sidelines of an event in Mumbai.

Following the dismal performance by India's shooters at the 2016 Rio Olympics -- all 12 shooters returned home empty handed -- the National Rifle Association of India set up a committee led by Bindra last October.

In his scathing report, Bindra, who finished fourth in Rio -- he missed a medal in the men's 10m Air Rifle event, losing a nail-biting shoot-off against Ukrainian marksman S Kulish after the two were tied third at 163.8 in the race to reach the medal round -- and his four-member committee concluded that the consistent trickle of shooting medals since the 2004 Athens Games ended up making everyone involved in the sport complacent.

"Everyone took it for granted that there would be progress automatically, and forgot to ensure a systematic healthy process," he said.

'It can be said with no reservations that Indian Shooting 'over achieved' at the Rio Olympic Games. The formula for success was wrong and Indian Shooting had ridden its luck over the last few years, no doubt helped by some extremely talented shooters,' Bindra's report added.

Asked if the NRAI had acted on the recommendations made, Bindra said, "I don't know. I'm not an athlete any more, so I don't see the day to day scenario. So I don't know exactly how much is being followed or implemented."

"See, the thing of my committee was only to give recommendations. It was not a committee which would implement the recommendations. So honestly I have not had the chance to... because once you're not an athlete you don't see the ground situation."

"Once in a while, here and there I hear things, but I'm not there on a day to day basis. I don't know, I really don't know," said Bindra who is also part of the Olympic Task Force and chairman of the Target Olympic Podium committee.

"In TOPS my role is talent identification and it stops at that. The implementation of TOPS is different."

"Again, the OTF is a recommendatory body, we studied the scenario and recommended... on the ground what happens I don't know because I'm only mandated to make a report and that we've done to the best our ability."

"I think, hopefully they'll be implemented on ground and sport in India will develop," he added.

On the topic of India's not so flattering Olympic performances vis-à-vis World Cup events, Bindra stressed: "The Olympics is a different event. It is a different field. It has a different aura attached to it. Also, there are four World Cups in our sport every year, the Olympics comes once in only four years."

"So we really need to have a good preparation leading up to the Games and the ability to peak at that moment because at the World Cups if you don't do well in the first, two weeks later you have the second one, so there are more chances (to win a medal) but in the Olympics it's once in four years and in order to do well in the Olympic Games you need to perform and to prepare very well."

"I think it's all about preparation. It's overall preparation... the mental preparation is one side to it, there is a technical side, a physical side and all these aspects have to come together once for all on that particular day, once in four years."

Bindra is quick to point out that India does well at the Commonwealth Games and expects the current lot of shooters to shine at the 2018 CWG in the Gold Coast, Australia.

Just like in Glasgow in 2014, there will be no team event likely at the Gold Coast Games, and Bindra believes "it is tougher for Indian shooters. But that said, the Indian team is the strongest in shooting at the CWG."

"We have a lot of talent, a lot of depth in various events of shooting. We have lots of young people coming up, which is a good sign. If they are nurtured well and trained well through the whole journey, not just 12 months..."

"The performance and the systemic support has to be consistent throughout the four year period and then I think we will get more results," he said.

The Commonwealth Games, he said, has its own importance.

"I won nine medals at the Commonwealth Games, but I ended up winning my first individual gold at the last Games (2014 Glasgow)."

"It takes about eight years to develop as an Olympic athlete, very few athletes actually who go there and win medal in their first Games. 10,000 athletes go and compete at an Olympic Games, only 300 go back with a gold medal, the number is very, very less."

"It takes time for an athlete to develop, you have to give the athletes a chance and time to develop and go there."

"The experience which they gain from their first Games, they may not (win) a medal, but it is going to add to their experience which will help them to go and win in perhaps the next Games."
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Bantamweight boxer Gaurav Bidhuri became the 4th Indian to make it to the medal round at the World Championship, after Vijender (2009), Vikas Krishan (2011) and Shiva Thapa (2015).
Gaurav Bidhuri aims to change color of world championship medal
He's already beaten 2x European champion and bronze medalist in the last worlds, from Ukraine. If he wins his semifinal tomorrow, he'll be where no Indian has been before - a world championship final.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

you can watch live here (Boxing)

http://www.aiba.org/live-hamburg2017wch/
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Gaurav Bidhuri gets Bronze!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Roelant Oltmans sacked as Indian senior hockey coach. A pity. I don't think it was warranted since the team is in the middle of being built for the next World Cup and Tokyo 2020.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Roelant Oltmans was doing wonders with Junior Hockey team that won world cup Gold. What a pity!!
It could be internal war among the senior players who feel that Junior players are doing much better to get him sacked as he changed the forwards to juniors in the recent european series that did wonders!
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Make Harinder the coach.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

I think this post is also relevant here:
Re: The Great Indian Political Drama July 14th 2017

Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore get additional charge of sports, thats i believe is awesome.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Very good choice to have a domain expert.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/sport/ ... 62453.html

The Indian sports fraternity is delighted with the appointment of Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore as the Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports.

That’s understandable for the sportsman-turned-politician knows firsthand what a sportsperson goes through while chasing his dreams, and what needs to be done to lift Indian sport from the depths of mediocrity. The Minister understands there are overwhelming expectations from him to change the current system, marred by red-tapism and bureaucratic hurdles, into the one that has sportspersons at its centre, and helps them achieve excellence on the global stage.

On Monday, his first day in office, the 47-year-old sent out a strong message to the Ministry officials, saying “from now onwards, there would be only one VIP, and that’s a sportsperson”. “The philosophy of this Ministry would be 'samman’ (respect) and ‘suvidha’ (facilities). Respect for every athlete and facilities for every player representing the country,” Rathore said.

Attitude needs to change
“The environment and attitude of this Ministry needs to be changed. There is only one VIP from now on, and that’s a sportsperson, nobody else. This attitudinal shift is required and we’ll achieve that.

“The aim of this Ministry would be to create an environment in which sportspersons are treated as the first citizens of this country. This Ministry has to work 24x7 because when an athlete is preparing, every single day of the week, month and year counts. This is a service ministry and we provide service to sportspersons,” he added.

Rathore, the first Indian shooter to win a medal (in double trap) at the Athens Olympics in 2004, indicated that the long-awaited revised draft of the National Sports Development Bill (known as Sports Code) and Sports Fraud Bill could see the light of the day during his tenure.

“In sport, there’s an important connect known as fans. For these fans, the sporting icons shouldn’t resort to cheating or unfair practices to win. Anything that gives primacy to fans and players will be taken care of,” he said.

“We’ll implement everything that improves Indian sports. I am taking note of which schemes are being run and how we can improve them. I’ll also see how we can improve the delivery system and management of various institutions (read sports federations). The effort would be to ensure that whenever sportspersons visit the Ministry, their problems are resolved.”

First day in office
Rathore, who’s become the first sportsperson to head the Ministry, hit the ground running on his first day in office. He held a high-level meeting with the secretaries and senior Ministry officials for close to an hour. According to a Ministry official, Rathore enquired about the Sports Bill, Olympics Task Force and the Empowered Steering Committee. “The Minister held a special briefing on the Sports Bill and Task Force. He wanted to understand the progress made as far as the implementation of the Bill is concerned. He also asked about the status of the recommendations made by the Task Force,” the official added.

While spelling out his philosophy and priorities as the Sports Minister, Rathore turned nostalgic and recalled his own visits to the Ministry as a sportsperson. “I still remember how I had to take permission on paper at the reception to enter the premises and meet the officials. It all started for me then. So I know what hardships players have to face.”

What Rathore needs to do...

Ensure preparations for the CWG, Asian Games and 2020 Tokyo Olympics are heading in the right direction
Immediate implementation of the recommendations made by the Abhinav Bindra-led Olympics Task Force
Introduction of the revised draft of the National Sports Development Bill (Sports Code) to bring accountability in the functioning of the sports federations
Set in motion the process for the introduction of the Sports Fraud Bill to curb match-fixing and other such unfair practices
Expedite the process from the Sports Ministry’s end to bring a legislation criminalising doping
Bring more international events such as FIFA U-17 World Cup to India
Deal with IOA strictly so that the National Games can take place as scheduled
Build more High Performance Centres like NIS, Patiala
Streamline TOP scheme and ensure the fundings reach the deserving athletes in time
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/sport/ ... 62451.html

Asian Cup Qualifier: India out to accomplish Mission Macau

Macau, September 4
The Indian football team will look to continue its unbeaten run and inch closer to the 2019 Asian Cup when it takes on Macau in a crucial third round qualifying game here tomorrow.

India have won all the four qualifying matches so far, the wins coming against Laos in the playoff round, and Myanmar and Kyrgyzstan in the group stage of the third round. Skipper Sunil Chhetri had scored in India's last two victories.

While Stephen Constantine's men will look to continue their winning run in the third round qualifying phase, the 183rd-ranked Macau, on the other hand, will hope to revive their fortunes at the Macau Olympic Complex.

The 96th-ranked India are having a fruitful year in terms of FIFA rankings and number of wins, and September is their fifth straight month inside the FIFA top-100. It's been more than 17 months since India last lost an away game.

Their last defeat away from home was against Iran in a 2018 World Cup qualifier. Since then, the Blue Tigers have beaten Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar on the road.

There's intense competition among players for a berth in the playing XI, leading to a strong bench strength.

“It's not about who plays on the field. We all are playing for a cause. It's Mission Macau,” Constantine said, gesturing with his clenched fists. —
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Actually India won this match 2-0 against Macau couple of hours ago.

Next match on 10th October India vs Macau in Banglore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_AFC_ ... hird_Round
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

RS Rathore has his task cut out for him . The problem is not that the federations don't care about the athlete . Rather, they are not even tailored to the athlete . They are essentially political fiefdoms . I don't know how much power he has to overthrow ancient political appointees in charge of various federations .
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/im- ... 170905.htm
Harendra singh applies for Head Coach!

Tipped as the front-runner to succeed Roelant Oltmans, World Cup-winning junior coach Harendra Singh is set to apply for the vacant senior men's team coach and feels he is best suited for the role.

Harendra, who was associated with the senior men's team as national coach from 2009 to 2011, believes his credentials are at par with all the foreign coaches in the world and his application would be hard to ignore for Hockey India.

"Yes, I will definitely apply, there is no ambiguity in it. But I will submit my application after doing all the home work. I am willing to take over and I promise I will deliver to the expectations of the countrymen," Harendra said.

"I have 21 years of coaching experience and I am going to prepare a blueprint for 2020. My target is always to win a medal in any tournament because I am a desh bhakt (patriot) and I always want to see the tri-colour flying high."

"A foreign coach will have to start from the scratch. He will not be aware of all the players. But I know these group of players in and out," he added.

Asked whether how confident he is of getting the nod, Harendra said: "They (HI) can't ignore me now. I think I am 100 per cent in the league of the top foreign coaches of the world.

"But I want to make it clear that I won't work under any foreign coach except for Ric Charlesworth."

Harendra's chances seem bright after Hockey India's High Performance Director David John hinted that the Junior World Cup winning-coach could be the frontrunner if he opts to apply.

"John knows me since 2011. We have worked together. We have a very good understanding but I won't like to predict anything. Let's wait and watch," said Harendra, touted by many as the best Indian hockey coach at present.

HI sacked Oltmans for non-performance last Saturday after a four-and-half-years stint during which he also performed the role of High Performance Director before taking up the coaching role in 2015.

Although Harendra feels removing Oltmans is a right decision but said the timing is not right.

"The decision was a right one but I feel HI was a little late. Every team appoints a coach from Olympic cycle to cycle and a new coach now will take time to adjust," he said.

aving said that Harendra, however, has high regards for Oltmans because of his contribution to Indian hockey during his tenure.

"One thing is for sure Oltmans changed a lot of things in Indian hockey. He has changed the thinking of players, pattern of play and training system," said Harendra, who along with Oltmans guided India to Junior World Cup title last year in Lucknow.

Harendra said a level of accountability should be fixed for all coaches.

"A coach has to be accountable. He or she should not be made to relax and complacent. Foer this to happen perks and luxury of a coach should be made result oriented," he said.

Besides Harendra, national women's team coach Sjoerd Marijne and Australian Jay Stacy's names are doing rounds for the high-profile job.
© Copyright 2017 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Indian football needs to compete with the higher ranked Asian teams like Japan or Iran. Hope they will make a mark in the Asian cup. I saw a few recent match clips. Still massive improvement possible.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/spo ... 170905.htm

India has 1 gold and 2 silvers . The Junior trap men team won Gold.

http://www.issf-sports.org/competitions ... hipid=1911

http://www.issf-sports.org/competitions ... hipid=1911

India's Ankur Mittal won silver medal in the men's double trap event at the ongoing ISSF World Shotgun Championship, in Moscow, on Tuesday.

In the junior category, 17-year-old Ahvar Rizvi also won a silver medal in the same event.

In the men's event, Mittal scored 66 points as he maintained his lead till the final four shots when Russia's Vitaly Fokeev took over, eventually winning the event with 68 points. He had scored 145 points to finish first in the qualifiers.

Sangram Dahiya ended in 20th place with 135, while Mohammad Asab came in 23rd with 133 hits in the qualifying round.

The trio combined for a fifth spot in the Team category with 413 points, where Italy won Gold with 418.

In the junior men's double trap team event, India won the gold with a combined score of 401. Italy won silver with 389 and China bronze with 387.

In the individual final, Ahvar carried his shoot-off momentum and shot brilliantly to lead for right till the end, but lost the gold in the last two targets to talented Briton James Dedman.

Ahvar finished with 66 out of 80 targets with Dedman a point ahead on 67. Dedman won Bronze in the senior category at the New Delhi World Cup stage event earlier this year, as well as a Junior World Cup Gold very recently in Italy.

Shardul was the first to bow out of the final in sixth position, shooting 19 targets out of the first 30.

Italy is top of the medal table so far with six gold medals and a total of 11 medals. India is in fourth spot with one gold and two silver medals.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

you can watch it here. Pretty close the Russian won gold at the very last 60 shot double trap finals

http://www.issf-sports.org/news_multimedia/video.ashx
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Ahmer Rizvi wins silver in junior double trap!
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/spo ... 170908.htm

Women's national hockey coach Sjoerd Marijne was on Friday named chief coach of the Indian men's team -- a stunning decision given that the Dutchman has no prior experience of handling a senior men's side.

Marijne replaced Roelant Oltmans, who was sacked after a few ordinary performances in the past few months.

Besides, World Cup-winning junior team coach Harendra Singh was appointed High Performance Specialist coach of the senior women's team.

While Marijne will take charge on September 20 after returning from an ongoing tour of Europe with the women's team, Harendra will be on the job on Saturday itself.

The decisions were announced by newly-appointed sports minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore on his official Twitter page.

“Current Chief Coach of Indian Senior Women Hockey Team, Mr. Waltherus Marijne,will take over as Chief Coach of Indian Senior Men Hockey Team," Rathore tweeted.

"Pleased to announce appt of Sh Harendra Singh, Dronacharya Award winner, as High Performance Specialist Coach fr Indian Snr Women Hockey Team," the Minister added.

According to a top Hockey India official, both Marijne and Harendra have been given a tenure till the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

The sports ministry issued a release stating that the decisions were taken on Thursday after a joint meeting between the Sports Authority of India and Hockey India.

"The Joint Committee Meeting of SAI and Hockey India held at SAI, here on 7th September 2017 appointed Shri Harendra Singh, Dronacharya Awardee, Hockey Coach as High Performance Specialist Coach for Indian Senior Women Hockey Team.

"This decision has been taken jointly by SAI and Hockey India on the basis of recent and past performance of Shri Harendra Singh, wherein under his coaching the junior men team won the Junior Men World Cup in 2016 at Lucknow.

"He was also the Chief Coach of the Senior Men Hockey team from 2008 to 2009 and National coach from 2009 to 2010. He is a Level III certified Coach," the release read.

The ministry stated that Marijne has accepted the new role.

"It has also been decided in the meeting that, the present Chief Coach of India senior women Hockey Team, Mr. Waltherus Norbertus Maria Marijne will take over as Chief Coach of Indian Senior Men Hockey Team on his return from the on-going Europe tour. Mr Marijne has accepted the offer of Chief Coach of the senior Indian Men Hockey Team," it added.

The decision came as a bolt from the blue as Hockey India had advertised seeking Oltmans' successor on its website just three days ago. Hockey India had set September 15 as the deadline to apply for the post.

However, the a top official said Hockey India withdrew the advertisement on Thursday.

It has been learnt that Marijne was initially reluctant to take up the role. The 43-year-old Dutchman, who was appointed as the Indian women's coach in February earlier this year, has never worked with a national men's team before.

But he agreed after Hockey India and SAI convinced him.

The position for men's coach had fallen vacant after Oltmans was sacked last Saturday following a string of poor performances in the recent past.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

risky but i guess they had little choice and not enough trust on Harinder.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Indian women did good by winning couple of gold and bronze at world cadet wrestling championship.

Both gold came by defeating Japanese. It will be big moral buster once they graduate to junior than senior level.

-Ankit
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Great news indeed! I sure hope it's not a moral buster though, Ankit ;-)
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

A few medals in weightlifting at commonwealth level.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... n=16446858
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/mix ... 170914.htm

P V Sindhu and Sameer Verma advanced to the quarter-finals of the Korea Super Series with straight game wins but Parupalli Kashyap bowed out of the US$600,000 event following a narrow defeat in the second round, in Seoul on Thursday.

Rio Olympic silver medallist Sindhu saw off Thailand's Nitchaon Jindapol 22-20, 21-17 to set up a clash with Japan's Minatsu Mitani.

Hong Kong Super Series finalist and Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold winner, Sameer defeated Hong Kong's Wong Wing Ki Vincent 21-19, 21-13 in 41 minutes and he will need to raise his game by a few notches when he faces local hot favourite Son Wan Ho.

However, Son Wan had to dig deep to end Kashyap's run in the men's singles. He battled for an hour and 16 minutes before getting the better off the Indian 21-16, 17-21, 21-16 to reach the last-eight stage.

World No 4 Sindhu, a silver medallist at the Glasgow World Championship, had come into the match with a 1-1 record against Jindapol, who had beaten the Indian at Syed Modi International last year.

Sindhu had to battle hard in the opening game as World No. 16 Jindapol grabbed a 9-7 and 13-10 lead but the Indian broke off at 14-16 with six straight points.

The Thai shuttler drew parity before Sindhu closed the issue.

The second game was also a close contest with both the shuttlers locked in a duel initially till 8-8. Sindhu then moved ahead and grabbed a 12-9 lead.

Jindapol clawed her way back and was locked at 15-15 with Sindhu but the Indian eventually held her own and had the last laugh.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

India wins 47 medals in Asian Age Swimming champioship. Govt announces 50000 rupees monthly stipend for each athlete in Olympic Gold Quest.
Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

Sindhis is in the Korean open final. Facing Okuhara san.
Perhaps a good time for avenging world cup final?
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Should be the TOPS scheme not OGQ.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Prof Martin Sindhu will win this one and my prediction she will be world no one within a year.
Last edited by Suresh S on 17 Sep 2017 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

It will be the 4th match tomorrow at 11:00 AM (Korean time)
watch live here

http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/live-sco ... 4&tab=live
Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

Cheers to PV Sindhu on her third Super Series title. Won the Korean Open in style, beating Okuhara in a three game match.
22-20, 11-21,21-18
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Good performance. Sindhu improves from World #4 to #2 with this win. Next up is Japan Open. Would be nicer to beat Okuhara in the final there.
Marten
BRF Oldie

Post by Marten »

Suresh S wrote:Prof Martin Sindhu will win this one and my prediction she will be world no one within a year.
You deserve a Bejan Daruwala award for getting it right. May Ganesha bring Sindhu more success.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/spo ... 170919.htm

Hockey : Indian women's team beat Belgium junior men's team.

The Indian women's hockey team ended their Europe Tour on a high after getting the better of the Belgium junior men's team 4-3 in a thrilling encounter in Antwerp.

For India, Gurjit Kaur (7th and 11th minutes) and captain Rani (13th and 33rd minutes) scored twice to give the visitors their first win of the tour.

A rampant Indian team started the match with some enthralling attacking play as they earned a penalty-corner in the seventh minute, which was well converted by drag-flicker Gurjit to give India the lead.

The defender extended India's lead in the 11th minute as she converted another penalty-corner to make it 2-0.

Skipper Rani also got onto the score sheet as she netted the ball via a well taken field goal in the 13th minute to further extend the lead at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter began with goalkeeper Rajani Etimarpu making her second diving save of the match to deny the Belgians from opening their account.

India displayed grit and fight throughout the second quarter as they held onto their 3-0 lead at the end of 30 minutes.

India started the third quarter with some high intensity play, which paid off for them in the 33rd minute as Rani scored her second goal of the match to make it 4-0.

However, Belgium finally managed to get past India's sturdy defence when Thibault Neven converted a PC in the 38th minute to make it 1-4.

The hosts produced a great field goal in the 42nd minute via William Van Dessel to end the 3rd quarter with India still leading 4-2.

Belgium carried on the momentum in the fourth quarter as well with Mathias Relik converting a PC to give them their third goal in the 48th minute and reduce the margin to 3-4.

It was a nervy last 10 minutes for the visitors as Belgium piled on some pressure to find the equaliser but the Indian team held onto their nerves and defended as a unit to have the last laugh.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/ama ... 170919.htm
Under-17 FIFA world cup in India.

Midfielder Amarjit Singh has been unanimously elected as the captain of Indian team for the upcoming FIFA Under-17 World Cup to be held next month.

Coach Luis Norton de Matos had suggested four names and had asked each of the 27 players in the team to write on a sheet of paper their choice for captaincy.

The first name would get five points, the next three and the final choice one.

The players unanimously voted for Amarjit as their captain for the FIFA Under-17 World Cup which begins in New Delhi on October 6.

Jitendra Singh, who was second, will be Amarjit's deputy.

While, Suresh Singh, who led India at the AFC Under-16 Championship last year, received the third highest votes.

Defender Sanjeev Stalin finished fourth, an AIFF official said.

Born and brought up in Manipur, Amarjit was introduced to the game by his uncle and he soon found himself at the Chandigarh Football Academy (CFA).

When the selectors were hunting for players to represent India at the Under-17 World Cup, Amarjit was invited for trials and he caught everyone's eye with his good showing.

At first he was slotted with the reserve side and made the first team grade after German coach Nicolai Adam was impressed with his abilities in midfield.

Image: Amarjit Singh in action
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India, USA, Colombia and Ghana is a very tough group for under-17 Indian boys. First match vs. USA on 6th October at 8:00 pm New Delhi.
Go team India!!

Any information about where to watch it live would be appreciated!!