India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

Post by ramana »

No Philip, market needs both.

HAL builds for military mostly.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

It's not the first time that I have heard of this plane. Frankly, the chances of this working is really slim.

Do-228, Airvan 18 and Saras are the "Indian" 19 seaters to look out for.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Indranil wrote:It's not the first time that I have heard of this plane. Frankly, the chances of this working is really slim.

Do-228, Airvan 18 and Saras are the "Indian" 19 seaters to look out for.
Probably not the first time you heard of Yadav. But I’m certain the TAC 005 is new! TAC for Thrust Aircraft Compnay formed by Amol Yadav, former pilot for Jet airlines. He created the six-seater TAC 003 from mostly Indian parts with the engine and navigation suite from the US.

Yes, there are more established 19-seaters but India needs people like Yadav to dream. Lots more. Failure is part of success. Just like Silicon Valley, you just one success out of hundreds.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

While it is good to see more people getting into aircraft design, I'm a bit sceptical of ab initio creations especially for civilian market, where costs, they care about efficiency, spares availability, and all the certifications matter.
For new entities, it makes much better sense to become subsystem manufacturers and then designers, than be an OEM.

Do-228 is unpressurized (IIRC) and hence not suitable. Saras isn't there yet - the crash that happened 8 years ago still casts a long shadow over it. The team needs to put it behind and get it out of R&D mode. As it stands now, it is more likely to be used by services than in civilian market.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Why do we need an airplane with pressurized cabin?

1. Spice jet just signed an MoU with Setouchi Holdings Inc. to buy 100 9-seater Kodiak Qwests. Too bad that they didn't go for Mahindra's Airvan 10 which just got certified in Australia. Most likely they are trying to get a loan from Japan on the lines of HSR. On the other hand, may be Mahindra's financial arm could have sweetened the deal. But, whatever. The point is that there is a market for unpressurized planes in India.
2. Dorniers do fly to Lukla daily.
3. Meanwhile, my friends in college from the NE-states (other than Assam) went home every alternate summer because it took them 3.5 days one way.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

My point is that the DO is flying for decades here and if there is a demand prod. could be ramped up.HAL is making DOs for RUAG too who market the bird globally.A new aircraft would have to undergo testing,certification and large orders to be successful for prod. rates and the supply chain to remain competitive.Unless it comes in significantly cheaper with equiv. quality,it will come a cropper. There are established majors manufacturing similar aircraft ,what chance will the newbie have?

The 30-40 seater market is wide open.Our entrepreneur could establish a JV with a reputed manufacturer so that like the Dorniers both 228 and 328 type passer. capacity can be built using common features/components.

PS:Media today reported news of planned small airports at some unheard of places under pvt. management.The 228 and 328 classes of DOs ideal for such regional connectivity .
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Indranil wrote:Why do we need an airplane with pressurized cabin?

1. Spice jet just signed an MoU with Setouchi Holdings Inc. to buy 100 9-seater Kodiak Qwests. Too bad that they didn't go for Mahindra's Airvan 10 which just got certified in Australia. Most likely they are trying to get a loan from Japan on the lines of HSR. On the other hand, may be Mahindra's financial arm could have sweetened the deal. But, whatever. The point is that there is a market for unpressurized planes in India.
2. Dorniers do fly to Lukla daily.
3. Meanwhile, my friends in college from the NE-states (other than Assam) went home every alternate summer because it took them 3.5 days one way.
There are regulatory provisions as of now, which limit scheduled commercial ops of SE aircraft in commuter role. The Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) has tried to circumvent it by letting NSOP guys bid for it but I believe it is limited to helicopters. It is NE, J&K, Himachal and Uttarakhand which will gain maximum out of these. They have recently taken suggestions/ feedback on feasibility of allowing this. Even I have submitted my suggestions on the above. :)

The DGCA had invited stake holders for a meeting in June in which I was a part. They see the economic need in allowing SE in commuter role but have said they will take at least a year and a half to come up with something concrete. In the interim they are looking at SE vs Twin Engine safety issues and cases of one engine inoperative in flight. They are also studying the EASA proposal to promulgate the SET (IMC) (Single Engine Transport in IMC conditions) rule. Meanwhile, FAA has changed regulations based on US regulations. These regulations now permit the OEM to get their aircraft certified under various levels with the highest level permitting commuter transport operations, irrespective of number of engines. DGCA cannot blindly copy FAA as US is not a signatory to ICAO but India is.

HAL is sitting on a goldmine of opportunity with the twin engine Do 228. Made in country. No import permissions, no hassle of Customs Duty etc. The market is searching for alternatives. Just cash in.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Maybe they migrated to the new forum, but the people of BRF who used to track such things, seem oblivious that Quest Kodiak sales have something called a 10:1 input into "Quest Mission Team" :lol: They are just repaying their original investors, who helped start the company

The Spicejet deal adds 10 more planes as repayment
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

hnair wrote:Maybe they migrated to the new forum, but the people of BRF who used to track such things, seem oblivious that Quest Kodiak sales have something called a 10:1 input into "Quest Mission Team" :lol: They are just repaying their original investors, who helped start the company

Wow! what is this set up? Thank You, never would have seen this connection.

Edit: I have since found out that Spicejet is looking for single engine sea planes and Kodiak is one of the options, though a strong one.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Interesting read on the Dornier acquisition dated 1982: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/indi ... 91889.html

Started off as indigenous design effort, morphed into co-design with many suitors, then morphed into assembly & manufacture. Involves dozens of decision-making bodies. And lots of delays. Somethings never change.
gugul
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gugul »

I think there is already an effort to use Do 228 for Regional connectivity scheme.... Don't know how far the efforts have moved further .... a bit dated news but posting some links...

http://www.indiastrategic.in/2016/12/13 ... pril-2017/
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... nal-routes
http://www.defenseworld.net/news/17331/ ... ft_By_2017
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Thanks Deejay for those SE inputs.

By the way, the Do-228 is in a weird state. HAL and TASL are both manufacturing it. TASL is also making large parts for the PC-12. I have flown in the PC-12. Mine was configured as a 4 seater (+ the potty seater). But I knew that the aircraft could be gutted and used for cargo very quickly. Pretty decent aircraft. Pressurized.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Yes PC 12 is a beauty. I think Textron is coming with a competition called Denali. And I know the Do 228 situation. I am also surprised by the lackadaisical sales effort of HAL. The civil market is not captive like military. They will have to market and sell.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Unse na ho payega :D. They are very good at govt. deals. But milking a civil opportunity, kaun karega and kyun? Look at Dhruv!

But, to their credit, they have spent time and money to come up with two civil Do-228 prototypes. Let's see.
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

Good update on new ammunition being developed by DRDO for our airforce.

http://www.delhidefencereview.com/2017/ ... power/amp/
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Private Lobbies Are Trying to Stop Indigenous Defence Production: H Mahadevan

Newsclick speaks to H Mahadevan, all India Working President of the AITUC and former General Secretary of the HAL Employees’ Association, Bangalore, on Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, the LCA project and the motivated campaign to discredit Defence PSUs in order to facilitate privatisation.

https://newsclick.in/private-lobbies-ar ... -mahadevan
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

KBDagha wrote:Good update on new ammunition being developed by DRDO for our airforce.

http://www.delhidefencereview.com/2017/ ... power/amp/
Mostly rehash of our Missiles thread and all in one article.

Ask them about how fuzes are coming?

Were any fuzes developed for the HSLD series?
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Red tape kills Mumbai pilot's dream to build India's first 19-seater aircraft.

An Indian pilot’s quest to fly an aircraft that he built on the rooftop of his house has become so entangled in red tape that after waiting for almost six years for approvals – even with the involvement of the Prime Minister’s Officethe frustrated aviator is preparing to head to the US with the project.

Amol Yadav, a pilot with a private airline who lives in Mumbai, thought he had everything going for his dream. He built a six-seater aircraft, which was featured in the government’s ‘Make in India’ programme, on the terrace of his Charkop home. He had the backing of the Maharashtra government, which, impressed with his efforts, offered him land and funds to build 19-seater planes. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had even apprised Prime Minister Narendra Modi about the project.

Amol Yadav, a pilot with a private airline who lives in Mumbai, thought he had everything going for his dream. He built a six-seater aircraft, which was featured in the government’s ‘Make in India’ programme, on the terrace of his Charkop home. He had the backing of the Maharashtra government, which, impressed with his efforts, offered him land and funds to build 19-seater planes. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had even apprised Prime Minister Narendra Modi about the project.

Yadav is now on the verge of completing his 19-seater aircraft, which would be the first to be built indigenously. That’s something the National Aerospace Laboratories hasn’t been able to achieve even after working for several years and sinking in crores of rupees.

Yet with his prototype a few months away from completion, Yadav is exasperated. His six-seater plane hasn’t taken off, which means his 19-seater aircraft project will be held up. All his efforts have been throttled by regulatory hurdles.

While the Maharashtra government has tied up with Yadav and plans to allot him land, it firsts wants a demonstration of the six-seater in flight. However, the aviation regulator has consistently refused to register Yadav’s aircraft over the years, effectively denying him the ability to demonstrate it can fly. Directorate General of Civil Aviation, according to the Maharashtra government, has created road blocks for the project even after the PMO put in a word.

Not surprisingly, Yadav is disillusioned, especially in the context of the government’s attempts to make doing business in the country easier and the ‘Make in India’ programme, aimed at encouraging local manufacturing and increasing jobs.

“I felt very encouraged by ‘ease of doing business’ and the ‘Make in India’ initiative by Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” said Yadav. “However, I have realised that while the PM may be passionate about these initiatives, for the rest of the bureaucr ..

After he applied to register his six-seater plane under the experimental aircraft category in 2011, DGCA kept dilly-dallying. In 2014, the regulator scrapped the experimental aircraft clause, would have enabled amateurs to build planes, from the Civil Aviation Requirements (CAR), a set of regulations for the sector. The new rules allow only planes manufactured by companies to fly.

To resolve the issue, Fadnavis met Modi on April 14 in Nagpur and briefed him about Yadav’s aircraft. Following the discussions, the chief minister wrote to the PM about Yadav’s application pending with the DGCA. “He followed up regularly only to know that in July 2014, DGCA arbitrarily deleted this entire set of regulations making it impossible for anyone building experimental aircraft to apply for the same. It is not known why such a step was taken,” Fadnavis wrote.

Fadnavis met Modi again in New Delhi in the last week of April, following which Sanjeev Kumar Singla, the PM’s private secretary, was called in and asked to get involved with the DGCA. Still, the DGCA refused to budge. In fact, the regulator uploaded a new draft CAR on August 28 with provisions that would ensure that no one in the country could hope to build an experimental aircraft.

One revised provision stipulates the maximum weight of a new aircraft should not exceed 1,500 kg, just below the 1,600 kg Yadav mentioned in his application. This is unusual because in countries that encourage aircraft manufacturing such as the US, there are no weight restrictions. The DGCA also states in several places that aircraft should be built as per minimum standards, without specifying what those norms are.

ET sent Singla two detailed questionnaires regarding the status of Yadav’s application, which he forwarded to DGCA for a response. DGCA joint director general Lalit Gupta contacted this reporter on September 26, saying he was calling to respond to the questionnaires sent to Singla. ET tried to get in touch with JM Thakkar, public relations officer in the PMO, seeking Singla’s comments.

However, there has been no response. ET sent DGCA 17 questions related to the matter, including one on why it scrapped the provision for approval of experimental aircraft. The regulator did not answer most of the queries and said it was only following the rules of the International Civil Aviation Organization, a UN agency. ET checked the ICAO rules, which don’t ask any member country to deny registration to anyone building an aircraft.

DGCA told ET it is in touch with Yadav and other stakeholders to frame a new CAR. However, Yadav said that the DGCA, in discussions with him, reiterated that his aircraft would not be permitted to fly.

Now, Yadav has approached the US Federal Aviation Authority to register his aircraft there.

“I wanted my aircraft to have an India registration, but in our country innovation is considered to be a crime. So I am arranging for funds to take my aircraft to the US to get registered there. The whole process takes less than a month, compared to the six years that I have wasted here,” said Yadav.

I I am giving myself a month’s time if I am not able to get funds, then I invite the people of Mumbai to a unique funeral where I will take my six-seater aircraft to Bandra Kurla Complex, where it was first showcased during the ‘Make in India’ week, and then take a hammer and break it down because our country doesn’t like to encourage enterprise by the common man,” said Yadav.

An indigenous 19-seater plane such as the one that pilot Amol Yadav built, would be a boost for India’s aircraft manufacturing industry and help create jobs in the sector. Such aircraft would promote boost regional connectivity and airlines would find it viable to fly them to smaller airports instead of deploying 40- or 70- seater planes that are harder to fill for such destinations. More flights to smaller cities would in turn promote tourism in these areas. Such planes are also useful as private and business charter aircraft, which are used by wealthy individuals and companies.

The Obduracy of the bureaucrats is simply breath-taking. To set an example, all the bureaucrats who are involved in using direct and indirect methods to kill/sabotage this project should be crushed under a battle tank in a public square - Nothing less will do.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ I can say this with confidence. DGCA is equally obdurate with one and all. They screw the foreign OEMs just as bad as Indian ones. The sheer ineptitude of DGCA is to be seen to be believed. They circulate CARs and implement / enforce these when the same CAR at two places says different things. When pointed out they hide behind ICAO regulations. At other times they run behind FAA. I have seen MoCA folks surrendering in front of DGCA.

They are due for a two week ICAO audit in the coming months. Already, getting work out of them is becoming a challenge since they are due for audit. They may not pass muster though they are confident that somehow they will.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So who runs the DGCA? What is it's org structure?
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

DG is an IAS officer nowadins. Earlier the DG used to be from internal cadre. They recently recruited some 350 new engineers as recruit. The required QRs failed to mention Aeronautics / Aeroengine background and all mechanical background guys got recruited. So now, they have sent them for a long training to get some aviation knowledge.

Some mid level staff is ex IAF, IN etc. Also all FOIs (Flight Ops Inspectors) are pilots many directly joining DGCA after leaving services.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

hnair wrote:Maybe they migrated to the new forum, but the people of BRF who used to track such things, seem oblivious that Quest Kodiak sales have something called a 10:1 input into "Quest Mission Team" :lol: They are just repaying their original investors, who helped start the company

A further update on this. There will be a JV between Spice and Setouchi Holdings / Quest Aircraft. The JV will have majority holding of Spice Jet. The project is planned for launch in 06 months - 01 year. A total of 100 planes, but not all will be sea planes, will be operated under a new vertical to be formed. All ops will be under NSOP.

Quest Aircraft is owned by Setouchi Holdings of Japan which bought Quest Aircraft in 2015.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_Aircraft

There will be no local manufacturing.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

DRDO Oct 2017 Newsletter

Indigenous Development of Trawl System by DRDO
Development Trials of Astra BVRAAM conducted Successfully
Successful Test of 3rd Generation Anti-Tank Guided Missile
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

deejay,please check your forum inbox
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The DGQA is acting this way even after intervention of one CM and the PMO.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

On 20 Feb 2017, MoD released a list of potential Make projects they were seeking proposals from suppliers in India.

Any updates on what was the response?

To me they read like requiring design and development in 2 to 3 years. And for ammo lines which is difficult to install.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Want. To. Tear. Hair. Out.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

How The Ordnance Factories, Defence Ministry And Bureaucrats Have Created A Crisis Of Ammunition Shortage In India
All the retired officers appeared to share a common aversion for bureaucrats, whom they held responsible for delays in the procurement and modernisation of ammunition in India. The retired colonel Vasudevan said that India’s defence secretaries were Indian Administrative Services officers who had “little understanding of the army.” According to Yadav, though the ordnance factories are incapable of producing the necessary ammunition to replenish the war reserve, the army has not procured anything new from private vendors since 2007. “This is because of the government’s belief that the production of ammunition should be a secret,” he said. He added that “bureaucrats who have their own vested interests” were responsible for this belief.

However, the brigadier Prabhu told me that one of the main reasons for the failure in procurement was that most of India’s ammunition had a Russian-origin design and that “India did not develop the technology to manufacture it.” He added that this was exacerbated by Russia’s failure to transfer the technology to develop the ammunition: “They would keep saying, ‘we will give,’ but they won’t.” “They just wanted us to be dependent on them.” Yadav asked, “If we can buy our ammunitions from foreign countries why can’t we allow our domestic companies to manufacture it?” “The strategic value of ammunition is in the way a country deploys it and not in how she makes it,” he added.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:No Philip, market needs both.

HAL builds for military mostly.
HAL's predatory aircraft pricing as well as it's slothful and high priced MRO services preclude civilian sales.

I remember them providing services for civilian 228 aircraft for a nepali company. It was a disaster.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Any account which blames only one set of people is wrong. When a finger is pointed, three are pointed at self and one upwards. This could be God or happenstance for atheists.

In above article three fingers are pointed at OFB, Defence Ministry, and the Bureaucracy!!! One is still at self.

I also blame IA AOC people who have not shown the interest in ensuring there is adequate mfg. or ammo storage capability. Once the ammo leaves the factory its in AOC custody not in OFB.

The Pulgoan Depot fire was totally avoidable by disposing off obsolete ammo which was exuding TNT. TNT exudation is a known hazard due to temperature environment in India.

Its ridiculous to hang on to unsafe ammo and indulge in bickering as to who will dispose it off. The ammo is in custody of the depot.
All new stories are based on leaks and unnamed sources.

The DGQA is an MOD run outfit which is also responsible.
The CAG reports document that many corrective actions recommended by Board of Inquires to prevent corrosion at the dissimilar metal junction of the copper driving band and steel shell are shot down.

Would the Amry accept local changes to the Russian ammo? No as the DGQA refused CA to prevent recurrence.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

DRDO's new AESA TCR is in prototype form already and headed for developmental trials.

Img courtesy NAlam, Twitter

TCR Specs
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLti7ttVoAAqr7F.jpg
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Some MPR pictures from the same gent

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

DRDO's explosive detection correctly id'ing Ammonium nitrate

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Suitably sanitized figures for FSAPDS Mk2 for Arjun which has cleared user trials.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

DRDO's heavy weight electrical torpedo in development.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

New upgraded T-72 with new gen ERA at CVRDE
Compare with MK1 (47AR)
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

New DRDO Reflex sight

Indra network wrote:FIRST PICTURES OF BEL TRINETRA MRWS (MULTI PURPOSE REFLEX WEAPON SIGHT)

Trinetra is Indian designed reflex sight which is a parallax free , compact , light weight and rugged weapons sight for instant target acquisition.
A highly precise reticule , superimposed on the target scene , acts as an aim point for accurate firing. Fired has got the advantage of keeping both eyes open , during firing with Trinetra
To further enhance the capabilities of soldier and wept during CQB or Night, Trinetra is equipped with in built visible (red) and invisible (IR) laser spot designator which makes Trinetra an all in one versatile sight for all possible combat scenarios.

• Fast target acquisition
• Accurate aiming with precise reticule
• Large window for easy ops
• Visible laser spot designator
• Invisible laser spot designator
• LDR for auto intensity control
• Zeroing mechanism
• Brightness adjustment
• Low light / Night modes
• Facilitates both eyes shooting.

IRDE-DRDO developed, BEL produced
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Govt decides to arm forces with new weapons in J&K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL0d0guqyPk

JVPC to equip CRPF for CQB, Corner Shot as well (ARDE), new pellet gun mods etc
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

shiv, a couple of links on the RR Dart engine. Need to open the pdfs.

Story of Dart:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive ... 00370.html

and

Dart Development:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive ... 00045.html

And wiki page on DART:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Dart
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Link: HAL 25Kn turbofan being developed
NEW DELHI: In a boost for India, the inaugural run of the core of 25 kN indigenous Aero Engine (Hindustan Turbo Fan Engine - HTFE 25) was successfully completed in the presence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar at HAL's Engine Division on Monday.

Also The HTSE-1200 can be used for helicopters of 3.5 ton class in the single engine configuration (e.g. LUH) and for 5 to 8 ton class in twin engine configuration (e.g. ALH, LCH). The engine develops a power of 1200 kW at sea level and can operate up to an altitude of 7 km. This project too is undertaken by HAL with its internal resources with an aim of developing the capability of indigenous design and development of turboshaft engines.
Its now 2017. What was the progress of these two engines at HAL?