India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by ramana »

Thanks UB. Will circulate among friends in coming weeks.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Bharat Karnad on the money again for Indian interests on the Tillerson speech.
Tillerson offers nothing new, just another bandwagon
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

...said the US seeks constructive relations with China, but the Asian power had undermined the international, rules-based order including provocative actions in the South China Sea that directly challenged international law and norms.

He also accused China of predatory economics by offering fledgling democracies and emerging economies financing mechanisms that saddled them with enormous levels of debt.
Oh, yes we know how much you dislike Panda's disregard for international law and order, and predatory economics. Instead of creating never ending new "ELITE" groups of countries and beating drum around SCS, please implement this simple step. Please move 25-50% of YooS bound manufactured goods from Panda to some other country and watch the change in the behavior of the Panda. But, but, we know that you won't do this is because your dislikes and disagreement with Panda are FAKE. They were always fake and phony. In fact, you love them so much that you are going to ditch your old girlfriend London for the new chic Hong Kong.

(FT) Banks plan to shift Asia-Pacific trading books from London to Hong Kong
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Desi couple in US adopt a 3 year old girl from India & abandon her., leading to a tragic outcome.

http://www.ibtimes.com/sherin-mathews-u ... me-2604774
salaam
BRFite

Post by salaam »

I don't know whats cooking.
- Rex meets Ghani in Kabul (Bagram).
- Rex moves on to Pak while Ghani quickly flew to Delhi (to meet Modi).
- Time will tell what was so important that Ghani had to fly in before Rex to India.

Also, this bizzare photoshop in Afghan official photo release of Rex-Ghani meet, where they hid the clock. Clock was showing UTC time. Either they wanted to hide the fact that the talk happened at Bagram OR they didn't want it to be timed/dated.
https://qz.com/1110379/rex-tillerson-in ... his-visit/
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

disha wrote:Desi couple in US adopt a 3 year old girl from India & abandon her., leading to a tragic outcome.

http://www.ibtimes.com/sherin-mathews-u ... me-2604774
The father has been arrested for negligence.
Also the whole adoption business is suspicious.

The girl was a Hindu and converted after adoption and killed by negligence.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^^ I thought so and this needs to be highlighted., several process errors happened here including adaption of a girl child to a parent of a different religion without appropriate background check and into a different country for residence.

This is nothing but human trafficking.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ This is NOT "negligence' !

Actually father has been arrested and charged "with injury to a child".. additional charges are going to follow!
Father watched her choke on milk, dumped her body.
(He initially told police he left his adopted 3-year-old daughter in an alleyway as punishment — admitted to police Monday he dumped the toddler’s body in a culvert near his Texas home after she choked on her milk while he “physically assisted” her.)
(Body was found by searcher dogs inside a drainage pipe)
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^ Just found this new https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... b449f53003

It was cold blooded murder.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I didn't want to say that lest Forum members will band wagon and accuse me of exaggeration.
Yes the guy should be charged with murder.

Least he could have done is call 911.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Ramana Garu,

It happened in Texas and the father will get the death penalty. Reading the reactions in the local papers, they’re ready to hang both the dad and mom down there. The DA is going to throw the book at them.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Ramana - I was probably the first, or one of the first, person, who informed EAM, and Indian Consulate to take a look when initial reports vaguely were saying that "the child was adopted from India" - but India connection did not became a news yet. (I did get reply from Indian Consulate that they will take a look).. EAM Sushma Swaraj has tweeted about this a few times. Texas authorities are working with GOI (to get adoption record and keeping GOI updated). .
EAM tweeted some time ago..https://twitter.com/SushmaSwaraj/status ... 5218061313
"We are deeply concerned about the missing child. Indian Embassy in U.S. is actively involved and they keep me informed.Sushma Swaraj added,

>>> Missing Texas girl, adopted by Malayali parents, none other than Bihar's Saraswati
etc..
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Mort Walker wrote:Ramana Garu,

It happened in Texas and the father will get the death penalty. Reading the reactions in the local papers, they’re ready to hang both the dad and mom down there. The DA is going to throw the book at them.
I want them to throw the library at them.

And MEA tighten the child adoption schemes and have follow up by Indian Embassy people on children welfare.
Will ask Maneka Gandhi to stop worrying about jallikattu and look at real people as she is Women and Children Development Minister.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

AmberG, Good for you.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

I had been to the vigil for Sherin Matthews in Richardson and the general sentiment is that mom is the real culprit and the Dad is taking the blame for her. This is what most of the people at the vigil kept repeating.

The dad is being the fall guy.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

what is the citizenship of the parents ? india or murica? if murica, the girl would have got a US passport after adoption. not that it matters for a crime committed there, but our MEA cannot get involved if murica passport (well maybe it semi-can if a OCI holder)

its strange that none have found out what the parents do for a living and their background so far.

my theory is the girl did not look like a neglected or underfed child in their care from pics in the media, maybe some accident or hitting in a fit of anger did her in, and they tried to cover up. they had another biological child, so i will not contemplate the child predation theory. but what motivated them to adopt after 1 child needs to be asked too - some religious or personal belief ? most ppl get scared at one these days, that too in a foreign country with no maids or parental support.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ As it is well known from the news items that Mom is a RN (Registered Nurse) which makes it bizarre.
MEA in the days of Swaraj/Modi, as they have said, do not care the "color of the passport". The child is from India. Parents are Indian origin. Anyway per news, Indian consulate is monitoring and also cooperating with the investigation.
The whole thing is very horrible.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^^ Singha saar., per some news report - child services did have some issue with parents but had not gone so far to put both the kids in protective custody.

Hence immediately on the death of the younger one., they removed the older one from their custody. Not even waiting to give it to one or other parent. It is a difficult decision, but in this case for the other kid they at least took the right decision.

Again it is very very very horrible. There are times when I actually do not want to read the news on that subject.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

mappunni wrote:I had been to the vigil for Sherin Matthews in Richardson and the general sentiment is that mom is the real culprit and the Dad is taking the blame for her. This is what most of the people at the vigil kept repeating.

It's all very very sad.

I read that in some local DFW news reports too. People are wanting the mom arrested too. If they want to avoid the death penalty and want life with possible parole, one or both will confess to murder. No jury in the DFW area will let them off murder and my guess is the DA will tell them to plead guilty. At no time did the parents seek medical attention if the child was choking on milk at 3 AM.

The Richardson police may file further charges, the mother did help identify the body, but police said that is where they ended cooperation with the mom. The couple's other child a 4 yr old has been taken away from the parents into protection. The father was transferred from city jail to Dallas County Jail today. The FBI took the couple's washer and dryer from the home. I guess to look for evidence that she was murdered at home and clothing items were washed to hide evidence. The father initially claimed he did laundry after the child was punished for not drinking milk and banished outside.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

BK is spot on.There is nothing great in the US offer,in fact what it really wants are hundreds of thousand of Indian troops,etc. "carrying the white Man's burden" as we did in WW1 and WW2! We will pay good money for poor obsolete weaponry, derailing our indigenous mil. programmes,further tying us to military dependency from the west/US. At least with RU products,we are benefiting with TOT and v.valuable JVs like BMos and N- Sub tech,stealth fighter tech which the US will never give us.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Philip wrote:There is nothing great in the US offer,in fact what it really wants are hundreds of thousand of Indian troops,etc. "carrying the white Man's burden" as we did in WW1 and WW2!
Ah but it's fine if we carry the white Russians burden eh
Philip wrote:A million Indians on its eastern border with China would also aid in securing a defensive shield against the Hans!

Link to the above quote - here
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Philip wrote:BK is spot on.There is nothing great in the US offer,in fact what it really wants are hundreds of thousand of Indian troops,etc. "carrying the white Man's burden" as we did in WW1 and WW2! We will pay good money for poor obsolete weaponry, derailing our indigenous mil. programmes,further tying us to military dependency from the west/US. At least with RU products,we are benefiting with TOT and v.valuable JVs like BMos and N- Sub tech,stealth fighter tech which the US will never give us.
I said neo Gungadins.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Horrible story which has turned like the old Nehru-Kennedy story that ends with:
"Oh! But that's the Indian Ambassador to the United States!"
Mom apparently worked all day, Dad maybe was on night shift.. two kids. Many harsh realities yet to be unearthed, but now 1 lost life, two utterly destroyed, one scarred.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

Mort Walker wrote:
mappunni wrote:I had been to the vigil for Sherin Matthews in Richardson and the general sentiment is that mom is the real culprit and the Dad is taking the blame for her. This is what most of the people at the vigil kept repeating.

It's all very very sad.

I read that in some local DFW news reports too. People are wanting the mom arrested too. If they want to avoid the death penalty and want life with possible parole, one or both will confess to murder. No jury in the DFW area will let them off murder and my guess is the DA will tell them to plead guilty. At no time did the parents seek medical attention if the child was choking on milk at 3 AM.

The Richardson police may file further charges, the mother did help identify the body, but police said that is where they ended cooperation with the mom. The couple's other child a 4 yr old has been taken away from the parents into protection. The father was transferred from city jail to Dallas County Jail today. The FBI took the couple's washer and dryer from the home. I guess to look for evidence that she was murdered at home and clothing items were washed to hide evidence. The father initially claimed he did laundry after the child was punished for not drinking milk and banished outside.
Texas jury and the public outpouring suggests death penalty is in. Unless they work out a plea deal with the prosecutor and get life with little or no chance of parole. I too am guessing the parents did something in a fit causing the little girl to die.

None of the Mallus I asked knew them thru connections or thru their Church.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

A view from Amriki think-tankers of the significance of Tillerson's visit. The focus on India's "strategic utility" to the United States tells us a lot about how the Amrikis view the evolving developments.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/it- ... ance-22888

Is It Time for a U.S.-India Alliance?

A U.S. and Indian policy convergence is at a work, with China being the main impetus driving both countries.
James Clad and Francesca Silvestri

October 24, 2017

India’s willingness to play an overt balance of power game in Asia will depend in large part on these three issues:

- Freedom of Maneuver. How does the fully developed Indo-U.S. convergence on offer (covering defense, diplomacy, technology and economics) crimp India’s foreign policy options?

- America’s coherence and staying power in Asia. Will India’s doubts about U.S. sure-footedness in Asia, as well as in the Indian subcontinent, prevent full maturation of Tillerson’s implicit quasi-alliance?

- Afghanistan. Given the decision to prolong current futility in Afghanistan, how much will even a minimal Pakistani cooperation in that effort frustrate the broader convergence on offer? More specifically, will India consent to play by the American “economic aid only” playbook for Afghanist
an?

Tillerson’s October 18 speech both advanced recurrent themes from previous U.S. administrations and added new elements, including quite explicit and invidious comparisons to China, India’s geopolitical rival of choice. He specifically included rapacious foreign financing and investment by China, and criticized its refusal to play by international norms.

His curtain-raiser made only a brief, pro forma reference to Pakistan’s much reduced place in the American universe. In a single line, Tillerson mentioned Islamabad’s “importance” but in the negative sense, citing its failure to get its house in order—a scarcely concealed barb about Pakistani connivance in terrorism.

None of this is new. But it is more explicit. This contrast between India and Pakistan mirrors the distinction, going right back to the Bill Clinton era, between “opportunity” (India) and “problem” (Pakistan). This imbalance in perspective has now become so great a full rhetorical decoupling of U.S. policy (from the “evenhandedness” which for many years extended a type of parity to the two subcontinental nuclear powers) cannot be far off.

The underlying rationale for early moves towards American rapprochement with India in the 1990s always envisaged a time when India would attain a type of parity in the pan-Asia balance of power. Tillerson’s speech signals that this time is now at hand: gradually, the widening success of India’s liberalizing economy and, more recently, its sharpening divide with China (Tillerson tellingly avoided mentioning the recent Sino-Indian Himalayan border standoff) has made for a steadily more comfortable strategic “fit” for both the United States and India.

Deepened Indo-U.S. engagement, though often fitful and beset by squabbling, now rests unambiguously on India’s strategic utility vis-à-vis the Chinese. Can India live with that description?

Genuine convergence has become more apparent as successive obstacles have disappeared, notably disagreement over India’s nuclear capability (especially the U.S.-India civil nuclear deal concluded in 2005) and a reduction in America’s legacy relationships with Pakistan, forged in the Cold War and now primarily a geographical (i.e., logistics access to Afghanistan) and generic (watching Pakistan’s domestic religious extremism) question.

In contrast to current U.S. foreign policy decisions from Washington, often upending previous positions by previous administrations, the announced India policy builds on strong preparatory work by the Clinton, Bush and Obama presidencies.

Tillerson’s vision basically rests on the expectation of a more equally weighted U.S./China/India power triangle in future. Since the 1990s, and despite ever closer alignment of many Indian and American objectives, a supervening common interest has remained only latent, and never closed the divide.

Can it do so now? Is China the all-purpose unifying force? Over the last two decades, the Indo-U.S. relationship has oscillated between moments of enormous expectation and mutual disenchantment. This happens in the commercial realm (market entry, intellectual property protection), defense and defense sales, and divergent diplomatic goals. Even in their respective foreign relationships, wide differences persist.

For example, Tillerson didn’t mention India’s carefully nurtured ties to Iran—where arguably Delhi could do helpful intermediary’s work. :roll: The same latent ‘utility’ also applies to India’s long standing links to Russia, which go back to the Soviet era and remain robust especially in defense acquisition.

Despite the big concept speech, rigidities in both Indian and American policy—as well as in the often sluggish history of the rapprochement itself—suggest a mere continuation of the slow pace of policy convergence.

Unless, that is, if China steps into a position of unambiguous enmity with both Washington and Delhi.

Some in both capitals think this is the emerging reality. China’s moves in South Asia unequivocally aim at keeping India off-balance, rhetorically at least making preparations for a grudge rematch of the two countries’ 1962 border war. The same destabilizing intent characterizes Chinese moves in the western Pacific.

Beyond that, and as the Chinese leadership itself points out, the United States seems intent on “self-isolating” itself in Asia. Already diminished in a multipolar world, American stature in Asia had slipped even before recent decisions such as withdrawing from the TPP.

From India’s point of view, the recent alpine stand-off between Indian and Chinese mountain troops typifies Beijing’s underlying and relentless assertiveness. For Delhi—as much as for the United States—maintaining a multipolar Asia requires quiet management of secondary relationships. Those with and between Australia, India and Japan in particular serve to buttress Asia’s power balance.

Will the clarity of this picture also fade, as earlier bouts of bilateral Indo-U.S. optimism have faded periodically since the 1990s? The answer is “probably not.” The balancing-China “logic” impelling a tighter convergence of U.S./India interests could succumb to recurrent hesitations on both sides, even with persistent Chinese assertiveness.

The key to maintaining forward movement (and in avoiding unrealistic expectations) lies in understanding the cyclical pattern of U.S./India rapprochement over the past quarter century.

Ironically, the best hope for a quasi-alliance based on strong overlapping interests lies in Delhi’s full understanding of the implications flowing from the relative decline of previously unquestioned U.S. ascendance in Asia. Despite inevitable setbacks, the “convergence” will thrive in a multi-polar world in which balancing power becomes the key determinant. Even a successful positioning of Pakistan as center stage logistician for the forever war in Afghanistan cannot impede this logic.
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... ter_102417

The sh*t-for-brains crowd in the US State Dept. and their cronies that run Foreign Affairs are now writing articles that "al qaeda" that destroyed the twin towers in 2001 has a "moderate face" because it is fighting Assad. With stupid cretins like these US State Dept eggspurts advising the US govt., it is not a surprise that the US finds itself losing its foothold in Asia, and about time too -- they have created enough damage here in the past century.

The one thing that is clear is all "strategic relations" with the US has to be transactional on a case-by-case basis, else countries like India will find themselves fighting monsters created by their "friendly strategic ally" USA. Of course, we are all glad that the Pakis sold themselves down the river doing exactly this, but there is a lesson to be learnt from Pakistan's relationship with the US.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I was watching the PM meeting Tilly.Body language.No extra warmth ,handshake but no hug etc.,though he did stretch his hand out first.Perhaps a mere FM does not deserve a hug reserved for foreign heads.Anyway let's see what happens.100 yrs from now where the US will be vis-a-vis China,whose latter-day Mao is now on another "Long March",global this time on the OBOR rd.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

UlanBatori wrote:but now 1 lost life, two utterly destroyed, one scarred.
Poignant sentence that hits hard. Would like to say that there will perhaps be more lives hit.. the parents of the couple (who perhaps are in India?)
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

This may not be a bad thing. Employees that are valuable to the company will stay on and may have a path toward a green card based on their skills. Hangers on who were automatically renewed will have to be thought about and have a better career path back home and stability in their family lives.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

RD, That national Interest article is nonsense.

Balance of power is for a third power intervening between two equal powers. The British used it effectively in Western Europe while building a huge colonial empire to fund these game.
It doesn't work for hyper power to align with an emerging power expect as cannon fodder or Gungadins.
Besides both US and China are not equal powers.
So what is that James Clad smoking?
And he brings in Pakistan and India's role in Afghanistan when US wants India to counter China!!!!

What a moron!

I think the collapse of FSU has created a Carthage moment for new Rome.

A big loss of cognition among its expertatti.

Self -isolation is like when Rome withdrew from Brittania.

Will the clarity of this picture also fade, as earlier bouts of bilateral Indo-U.S. optimism have faded periodically since the 1990s?
In this 30 year period there were Democrats for 16 years and their obsession was to cap and roll back India nukes while Pakistan and NoKo became nuke powers thanks to China.
Even after IUCNA deal was singed last 8 years were spent in denying India the benefits of the deal.
So why should India bother.
Even now if you look at projects its all blue sky heavy investment projects. EMALS., Future Heavy Lift Aircraft!!!
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

I read the child had some developmental issues. May be they did not know when they adopted her. She choked on milk is the story. The father did not wake his wife (a RN) or call 911? It appears to be death through negligence. May be they wanted it that way, the burden of bringing up a child with developmental issues might have pushed them over the edge. If the father's story holds out (that the child choked on milk) in the autopsy, he may not be charged with murder in the first degree but with lesser offences.
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

Heard a British?/western commentator, on RT politics show,
stating that India is “DESPERATE” for a defence alliance with the usa.
This is how these people spin these things a bit like how only usa defeated Ish#t in syria.

ASEs (anglo saxon elites) are not to be trusted in any way shape or form.
Of course India should get whatever it can but do not give them an inch, they will take the mile.
Very greedy people only care about dollars and cents in their pockets.

India can fight china on its own if it ever needs to, these people have no respect for and could not
care less about India and Indians.
The only purpose of any defence alliance will be to enhance profits for the american Mil-Ind complex.
That is all Trump and his buddies care about.

Another article on TRIPS and data exclusivity made it quite obvious that Bilbur Boss (Wilbur Ross)
and his people are using their east asian sepoys.......japanese and s koreans to get India to sign documents.
India must resist.

India is on the cusp of turning into a country that will be in ASEs/americas cross hairs... see china.
It should not give that progress up.
Better to be rich and powerful and targeted by usa then to be under East India mk2 courtesy of the usa.

Philip talks sense.......... better to have arms that have 50% up time
and can actually be used to defend Indian people/interests then have arms that have
100% up time but only to defend american interests. They will hit that ctrl alt del should India
step out of line and use their equipment in a manner which is not sanctioned by them.

Better still build everything at home aka “Make in India”
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

saip wrote:I read the child had some developmental issues. May be they did not know when they adopted her. She choked on milk is the story. The father did not wake his wife (a RN) or call 911? It appears to be death through negligence. May be they wanted it that way, the burden of bringing up a child with developmental issues might have pushed them over the edge. If the father's story holds out (that the child choked on milk) in the autopsy, he may not be charged with murder in the first degree but with lesser offences.

I am sorry saip, you are borderline siding with the father who is mainly responsible for the child's death. Not to mention giving them excuses.
Whats the matter?

Sad.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Mort Walker wrote:
This may not be a bad thing. Employees that are valuable to the company will stay on and may have a path toward a green card based on their skills. Hangers on who were automatically renewed will have to be thought about and have a better career path back home and stability in their family lives.
That is certainly one way to spin it, but the net effect will be that a proportionally larger number of renewals will likely get rejected, meaning fewer green card awarded. Question is will that be enough to make America great again? I doubt it.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Choking on milk sounds such a made up story, I seriously doubt that a nearly 4 year old child will die choking on milk or any other liquid of that consistency while drinking it. Beside, does a 4 year old child wakes up 3 in the morning and asks for milk? May be a year or two old, but 4 year old? Not likely.

This is likely a case of murder by strangulation, committed in a fit of rage.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

As usual, this is a lot of gas.
USCIS is just asking you to provide the details of your employment, education experience etc. which you've already provided to USCIS during your H1B process.

Anyway all of this is handled by your lawyers so hardly makes a lot of difference to you.
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

Best not to speculate until the final details of the case are out -- if this is not pre-meditated, but some sort of an accident, it is something that could happen to anyone, so some empathy may be warranted. Just shows how easy it is to have a family destroyed in one night, forever.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

ramana wrote:RD, That national Interest article is nonsense.

Balance of power is for a third power intervening between two equal powers. The British used it effectively in Western Europe while building a huge colonial empire to fund these game.
It doesn't work for hyper power to align with an emerging power expect as cannon fodder or Gungadins.
Besides both US and China are not equal powers.
So what is that James Clad smoking?
And he brings in Pakistan and India's role in Afghanistan when US wants India to counter China!!!!

What a moron!
He is smoking what they all smoke, the fine maal of Henry Kissinger that has become institutionalized in the US Foreign Policy Establishment. Or at least, was institutionalized for at least one generation post Kissinger. The clueless Washington Elite listened to Kissinger' glibly mouthing outmoded platitudes about Metternich and Bismarck and went "ooh, aah, he is so wise" because it was easier to do this than to inform or think for themselves.

On the bright side this kind of thinking is now increasingly restricted to the Clads of the world (in their academic ivory towers), and a sturdier realization is taking root on the ground that the old formulae cannot be trusted anymore, after multiple foreign policy reversals (Iraq, Afghanistan, Georgia, Ukraine, Syria, and many more) in the last 15 years. But nobody has formulated or articulated a new set of rules yet.

Ultimately what has ended up happening is that the US foreign policy establishment increasingly looks beyond its old pattern of bouncing back and forth within the strictly local periodicity of neighbour-to-neighbour balancing paradigms, and, like a hungry animal, begins to range further afield.

In immunology, lymphocytes scanning vast numbers of host cells for antigens in infected tissues also do this. It is called a "Levy Walk" pattern and replaces the standard "Brownian Motion" balancing paradigm that Kissinger, and Dulles/Acheson before him, inherited from Caroe.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3405745/