Indian Missiles News & Discussions - May 2017

Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Missiles News and Discussions - May 2017

Post by Singha »

i was just giving info on what the PLAN has done...a combined hot and cold launch chassis. permits good flexibility in design choices albeit the hot launch ones need to be thinner to permit ring shaped exhaust.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

X-post from Indian Air Force Thread
VKumar wrote:News flash. Rafale Rafael confirms India cancels USD 500 m deal.
VKumar- Not the aircraft deal but the deal for SPIKE seems to have been spiked. This would belong better in Missiles thread.

Jerusalem Post

Apologies if posted earlier
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:X-post from Indian Air Force Thread
VKumar- Not the aircraft deal but the deal for SPIKE seems to have been spiked. This would belong better in Missiles thread.

Jerusalem Post

One should read the comments of that article ...
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Jerusalem Post

This is old news. And it says Rafael denied having knowledge of any such decision from India. Where exactly it says "Rafael confirms India cancels USD 500 m deal"..??
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

JayS wrote:

Jerusalem Post

This is old news. And it says Rafael denied having knowledge of any such decision from India. Where exactly it says "Rafael confirms India cancels USD 500 m deal"..??
That's the funny thing. Today when i did a Google search to see if it was about the MRCA it showed news was 1 hr old, but the time stamp on comments were from 20th Nov. Now I am more confused than before. Wonder how/ why?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Saurav Jha
‏ @SJha1618
13m13 minutes ago

Putting all speculation to rest, Rafael confirms that it has received a notification from India's Ministry of Defence to the effect that the $500 million Spike ATGM deal stands cancelled.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Writetake says DRDO confirmed Nirbhay would be supersonic, no details available and in light of that it is confusing, given Nirbhay was supposed to be this subsonic loitering cruise missile that would be a fraction of the cost of Big Brother Brahmos
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

He probably saw the DRDO calendar which has a typo that Nirbhay is supersonic cruise missile...:D
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Maybe its supposed to have a 'Sizzler'esque supersonic end game sprint..?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sudhan, like I suspected it was all the calendar typo. I noticed it and grinned thinking of who will draw attention or fall for the obvious typo.. and here we go. To his credit AKM says he was kidding and not being serious.

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/948834490188578816
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

A quick primer on the HSLD bombs.

http://www.delhidefencereview.com/2017/ ... firepower/

Note, these are Indian PGM kits - not Griffin on HSLD.

Winged versions of these bombs are also in trials - basically the 100 km Garuthma & then there is the similar ranged 100 km SAAW (lightweight Smart Anti Airfield Weapon). Others are NGARM & of course, the Astra.

So with these bunch, the AF will have a huge improvement in striking power.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The next set of upgrades from DRDO should focus on seekers - basically EO/IIR seekers and MMW ones for fire and forget ops.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Any reason why some of the tests were from legacy platforms like MiG-27 and Mi-35? They won't be around much longer.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

DRDO takes whatever platforms are available from the AF & what the AF designates as likely carriers + what works easiest. MiG-27 Upg MC and nav attack software with ballistic computation was all done in-house by DARE, so I suspect they chose it for the quickest implementation.

Mi-35 is IAFs premier attack chopper with a full mission suite. IMHO, AF thought it was better suited for SANT than an ALH WSI.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/946946810857242624 ---> India has made significant progress in missile seeker technology. It can now put together both RF and IIR seekers quite easily. However, RF power sources continue to be imported as do focal plane arrays. This has to change.India also has to move on to AESA seekers in a major way.

https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/946947625034555392 ---> It is also imperative that India create foundries for gallium nitride, silicon carbide and mercury telluride. The Rs 3000 crore proposal for a GaN foundry at IISc, Bengaluru is just sitting there without actually being approved. This has to change.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

suryag wrote:Writetake says DRDO confirmed Nirbhay would be supersonic, no details available and in light of that it is confusing, given Nirbhay was supposed to be this subsonic loitering cruise missile that would be a fraction of the cost of Big Brother Brahmos
I wouldn’t say fraction of cost Nirbhay is currently projected at around 10 crores each, where as Brahmos that are being inducted is around 20 crores. It is a mistake for it to be supersonic it needs to have an additional terminal stage which it doesn’t have.
Last edited by John on 05 Jan 2018 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Karan M wrote:The next set of upgrades from DRDO should focus on seekers - basically EO/IIR seekers and MMW ones for fire and forget ops.
Rather, they should make a leap to a dual mode seeker like stunner missile, but with aesa modules. The aesa modules will see no more than a few minutes of operation and thus don't require much cooling. Even if cooling is required, the spent gases from fpa seeker can also be used.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

A question for the gurus wrt to RF seekers, how does software defined radars/seekers compare with AESA? Are all software defined seekers also A/PESA?
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “Indian Space Programme Discussion - Sept 2016” thread.
abhik wrote:Isro's plan: A rocket that can be made in 3 days
As per this ISRO is developing a 100t launcher which will cost "1/10 of original manufacturing cost of PSLV", payload of 500-700kg and will be ready to launch by end of 2018 or early 2019. Was there reports of this earlier or did ISRO just pull a rabbit out of the hat?

abhik wrote:TNIE: ISRO’s baby rocket to carry small satellites, likely to take off in 2019
Some new info (I hope)
> All Solid Stages
> 20-25m height
> The name Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) is probably going to stick
Comes across as an ISRO version of the Japan Aerospace eXploration Agency (JAXA) Epsilon Launch Vehicle {ELV Clicky} which is set for next launch on Jan 17 {E-3 Launch Clicky} and rumoured to be a wolf in sheep’s clothing as some believe it is the template for a Japanese ICBM { The Next-Generation Rockets That Japan Could Use To Protect Itself}.

So with that it in mind, is the SSLV also a wolf in sheep’s clothing and a template for an Indian ICBM?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

suryag wrote:Writetake says DRDO confirmed Nirbhay would be supersonic, no details available and in light of that it is confusing, given Nirbhay was supposed to be this subsonic loitering cruise missile that would be a fraction of the cost of Big Brother Brahmos

The aerodynamic shape of Nirbhay doesn't look supersonic. Maybe in dive mode.
That loitering and multiple waypoints navigations, the range, and the numerous warheads all point to a specific mission for it.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Thakur_B wrote:
Karan M wrote:The next set of upgrades from DRDO should focus on seekers - basically EO/IIR seekers and MMW ones for fire and forget ops.
Rather, they should make a leap to a dual mode seeker like stunner missile, but with aesa modules. The aesa modules will see no more than a few minutes of operation and thus don't require much cooling. Even if cooling is required, the spent gases from fpa seeker can also be used.
I agree. With countermeasures, that is more and more a necessity. Having said that, let DRDO get their range of ASMs/PGMs with basic seekers in service & then we can hope for the next advanced bunch. They are making significant strides, so I wouldn't be surprised if your aims are on their roadmap, its just that right now, I hope they get their standard designs into service ASAP.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

ramana wrote:

That loitering and multiple waypoints navigations, the range, and the numerous warheads all point to a specific mission for it.
It all started as a joke based on a typo from a DRDO calendar outsourced to some PR agency.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

John wrote:
I wouldn’t say fraction of cost Nirbhay is currently projected at around 10 crores each, where as Brahmos that are being inducted is around 20 crores. It is a mistake for it to be supersonic it needs to have an additional terminal stage which it doesn’t have.
Where did you see Nirbhay cost estimates at? Any link?
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Has lot of DDM in it, like quoting missile cost and comparing that with current budget :roll: But it is only one with some solid figures for Nirbhay, 100 crores for development so far and 10 crores per missile.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 52210.html
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Thanks John. Seems to be initial days, I guess a lot will depend on cost of engine & seeker - those are the 2 new pieces for Nirbhay. Given we are averaging huge costs for even basic PGMs, 10 crores going to Indian industry will be worth it. But significant price reductions can help drive bigger purchases.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I'm guessing that someone in some PR agency thinks supersonic means "Hawa mein udta hai" (Flies in air)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Nirbhay2 should have a klub type supersonic dart for well defended targets like ships. With its big range will permit long range shots outside of typical radar coverage from ships

That will be our next gen domestic asm
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ramana wrote:

Ramana Sir not sure about this loitering bit. Isnt it either a cruise missile or some kind of explosive laden uav which can loiter and take out targets of opportunity?
I cannot get my head around loitering cruise missile...
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ks_sachin wrote:I cannot get my head around loitering cruise missile...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loitering_munition

From the Youtube Video below ---> Patience is a virtue. A product of Israel, The Delilah missile can loiter around the target area and wait until the right moment to attack.

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Supersonic means massive energy push to drive the missile beyond the sound barrier. That uses up a lot of fuel and that energy is not going to come from a microturbo/small jet engine. That aside a low level cruise missile is flying close to earth where the air is most dense - the worst altitude for supersonic flight in terms of energy demand.

That is a silly booboo on that calendar. I would ask @writetake to re-check. This could be in the genre of Pakistan officer picture on Indian calendar and Paki planes used for Indian publicity poster. Idiots with some knowledge of photoshop being employed by ad agencies.

Sachin a cruise missile flying a zig-zag meandering course or simply circling around is "loitering" - and this could be either to spoof defences or to wait for some signal such as an emitting radar. Or for rahukaalam to pass...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

John wrote:Has lot of DDM in it, like quoting missile cost and comparing that with current budget :roll: But it is only one with some solid figures for Nirbhay, 100 crores for development so far and 10 crores per missile.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 52210.html
We do this all the time on BRF. A huge percentage of all discussions about weapons is cost estimates. We could give the CAG a run for its money" pun intended.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

shiv wrote:
Sachin a cruise missile flying a zig-zag meandering course or simply circling around is "loitering" - and this could be either to spoof defences or to wait for some signal such as an emitting radar. Or for rahukaalam to pass...
Shiv Saar,
loitering for me i something that is launched with no defined target and as and when something comes up.......
cruise missile for me is something that goes to a predetermined target - whether in a zig zag manner or straight or ever decreasing circles!!

Any example of a cruise missile that loiters?

maybe I am being old fashioned but my understanding of loitering is more towards the dictionary meaning....

Thought I had read a post by you sometime ago wherein you take about this..
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

^ There was a video/animation showing Nirbhays loitering capability. The depiction showed it is able to circle an area of interest for some time and hit the required target on command . How that command can be given was not mentioned.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Loitering capability would need a two way data link so that any targets of opportunity can be feed in real time and reacted to , Loitering is good for intel gathering over an area or post damage assesment more than offensive mission as there would be a limited amount of time a missile would loiter till it runs out of fuel or battery.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Think Ghauri launchers. It will kill them where ever they hide like Sudarshana chakra in Bhagavatam.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

shiv wrote: We do this all the time on BRF. A huge percentage of all discussions about weapons is cost estimates. We could give the CAG a run for its money" pun intended.
I find cost estimates, development costs, unit costs etc very informative.
Developers / Production agencies will need to factor in R&D, component imports , manufacturing,logistics & labour in pricing their product.
On the other side, the forces have their budgets. Price/unit + maintenance/support has a direct bearing on the ordered numbers.

There was recent article where Brahmos corp indigenized production of special steel used in body of missile leading to some 30% saving in cost of the missile. This is a huge development and as the price drops, it gives the forces the opportunity to order more.
And end of the day, you want to fight a war using the cheapest yet most effective options.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

ks_sachin wrote:
loitering for me i something that is launched with no defined target and as and when something comes up.......
cruise missile for me is something that goes to a predetermined target - whether in a zig zag manner or straight or ever decreasing circles!!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5098&p=2242978#p2242978
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

We have the greatest arsenal of loitering munitions. Our love-jihadis, who wander around looking for potential targets.