Pakistan Armed Forces: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Khalsa
BRFite

Re: Pakistan Armed Forces: News & Discussion Thread

Post by Khalsa »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Vivek Kumar wrote:Look what I found!!! Kabootrar maar khaans of SSG!!! :rotfl:
https://www.facebook.com/10400923960362 ... 087671658/
What did I just witness .... so retarded.
Taking the head off a pigeon to drink and blood and go Rambo...
OMG what the hell happened to the whole halal thing too ?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Aditya_V wrote:Yes I agree, the Pakistan Navy is arming itself very well and they have a lot of P-3C's as well. No need to underestimate the enemy.
It would be good for us, as long as they arm themselves with Chini maal, rather than US maal.

Atleast we will be facing the same weapons on both our fronts.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

From Keypubs:
According to Hui Tong's website:
"A recent report (November 2016) suggested that 611 Institute is studying a semi-stealth concept of FC-1 (JF-17 Block IV?) to further extend its export potential. The aircraft might have certain stealth features such as a redesigned stealth nose with a one-piece F-22 style canopy."
Why is China continuing to develop this aircraft for TSP or export customers exclusively if PLAAF is not interested in inducting the type? I don't think TSP has the economic muscle to fund its development completely (or even partly...I could be wrong...did not do a search on the same) or is willing to pay full price per aircraft to induct this machine. So just for a "taller & deeper" friend/strategic relationship, China is willing to spend considerable amount of money? Or it could be to keep one of their aircraft design house "busy" and gain experience developing a product.

I think as far as I can recall, the F-5 Tiger was the last aircraft which was developed from a pure export POV.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I think JF17 and variants is for China to make money with aircraft which are not very useful.Pakis have no choice, and if some countries but it all the better for them. So it is Zero risk but return on investment. Paki near the risk Chinese get the gains
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

As of now, per Wiki, it seems like Nigeria may have placed an order for 3 (yes Three) Bandars and Burma (16 units) have placed confirmed orders. Although 86+ units per Wiki are in service with TSPAF. There is a possibility that Bangla AF may induct up to 50 Bandars based on pressure from TSP & China. So their orders book aren't exactly filling up to provide RoI. And aircraft development is not cheap and even an opaque communist administration like China probably has to treat expensive programs from a business POV. I don't know if an order book of 105 units are enough to break even or make sense business wise for China to keep continuing to fund further development of Bandar.

Like mentioned, PAF doesn't have a whole lot of options to maintain some numerical semblance of an air force and thus is forced to induct Bandars even if their capabilities are limited.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

We should immediately strike a deal with Burma to send our AF pilots there to test the heck out of the plane, and in return give them a line of credit to OFB small arms, ammo etc. Basically, get the entire flight/sensor envelope tested & so we can whack the heck out of TSPAF's mass fighter when the balloon goes down.
Our bureaucratic system, which I am beginning to loathe more and more, simply does not have the agility to deal with these issues as a civilizational war which cannot be lost. Moronic Gandhianism has ruled our brains for far too long.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Chini will promote JF-17 as replacement of Mig-21 and Chini copies of it , They will use Paki to push this through their ME birather where ever they can , The sale of this fighter is promoted by generous credit from chinis so that they can gain an entry into neighbouring AF.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Zynda wrote:As of now, per Wiki, it seems like Nigeria may have placed an order for 3 (yes Three) Bandars and Burma (16 units) have placed confirmed orders. Although 86+ units per Wiki are in service with TSPAF. There is a possibility that Bangla AF may induct up to 50 Bandars based on pressure from TSP & China. So their orders book aren't exactly filling up to provide RoI. And aircraft development is not cheap and even an opaque communist administration like China probably has to treat expensive programs from a business POV. I don't know if an order book of 105 units are enough to break even or make sense business wise for China to keep continuing to fund further development of Bandar.

Like mentioned, PAF doesn't have a whole lot of options to maintain some numerical semblance of an air force and thus is forced to induct Bandars even if their capabilities are limited.

As I wrote elsewhere, COMMUNIST Cheen has a competitive almost free market system with firms like Chengdu putting up the JF-17 and Shenyang putting up the FC-31 neither one was supported by the PLAAF.

This was the case for the L-15 from Hingdu as well. Before being accepted as the JL-10 by the military, it too was a private project.

You know what was most stunning to me? The CH-4 UAV with all those kill videos on YouTube by Iraqis, Egyptians, etc. was never bought by the PLA. It is a private project that ended up being sold all over the MiddleEast.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Chola wrote:As I wrote elsewhere, COMMUNIST Cheen has a competitive almost free market system with firms like Chengdu putting up the JF-17 and Shenyang putting up the FC-31 neither one was supported by the PLAAF.

This was the case for the L-15 from Hingdu as well. Before being accepted as the JL-10 by the military, it too was a private project."
Really an amazing description of a "free market" system, when in reality all these firms are state owned, state financed & hence neither finance these programs from actual revenue & profit margins or actual competitive success!

By the very same metrics, the Arjun is a remarkable "free market project" in India. It was developed as a "private project" since it had no confirmed orders & we keep hearing reports it may be available for export too.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

the Arjun is a remarkable "free market project" in India.
It is not remarkable because we’re democracy with a free market. The remarkable part is why we don’t have more! (Well, I know the answer for this chitty state of affairs and it is because we decided on a f-ing commie-style PSU model for defense.)

But it IS remarkable for a COMMUNIST command economy with a vast state own MIC to be employing free market type competition among its aircraft manufacturers — like the Amreeki MIC. This tells me the chini MIC is flexible and far more formidable because of it.

The L-15, JF-17 and FC-31 are just three of the examples. The CH-4 UAV being sold by the hundreds and blooded in the Middle East is another. I was surprised that it was a private project that the PLAAF never supported.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Pakistan Armoured Corps conducting test of their next Chinese tank. Links below have pictures.

https://twitter.com/indiandefencera/sta ... 3241176064 --> VT-4 test in Pakistan. Some speculate it will be mainly T-84 vs VT-4 faceoff.

https://twitter.com/indiandefencera/sta ... 5131565056 --> We will soon publish a short article on if VT-4 really can give Pakistani armoured forces at all any edge.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

What happened to their pindigenous Al-Kha-Leedh, their forums were full of claims about its Mk 1,2,3,4....etc avatars?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

They are having issues with updated variants of the Al-Khalid. So direct import from China, paint in green and call it Al-Zawahiri.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Images suggest Pakistan Army may be testing Norinco VT4 MBT

http://www.janes.com/article/76877/imag ... co-vt4-mbt
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Who wants to lead a study of Pak Order of battle? Our knowledge is very old and dated to Sunil Sainis great efforts.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

Austin wrote:Images suggest Pakistan Army may be testing Norinco VT4 MBT

http://www.janes.com/article/76877/imag ... co-vt4-mbt
wish it weighs more than 60 tons but alas!!
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

At 52 tonnes it has a lot of bells and whistles 1300 hp @ 25 hp/ton
Arjun MK1 58 tonnes 1400 hp @ apprx 30 + hp/ton
Arjun Mk2 68 tonnes 1400 hp @ apprx 21 HP/ton
indian (T-90MS) 48 tonnes 1130 hp @ approx 20.4 hp/tonne being upgraded with some of the Arjun tech which will reduce its hp/tonne ratio

I wouldnt be suprised to see 400 MK2 tanks being ordered in the not to distant (I hope) future for our desert sector.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I think the MK2 weight is with the Steel anti mine plough which probably weighs a few tonnes and will be removed in almost all combat operations
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

ramana wrote:Who wants to lead a study of Pak Order of battle? Our knowledge is very old and dated to Sunil Sainis great efforts.
army or everything ?
(keen though)
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Wing Loong I UAV spotted at Pakistani airbase
Commercial satellite imagery captured on 24 November 2017 shows that the Pakistani military may be operating the Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) Wing Loong I strike-capable, medium-altitude long-endurance (MALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

The image shows what appears to be a single Wing Loong I in front of a hangar at the Pakistan Air Force’s (PAF’s) MM Alam airbase in Mianwali District – which is located in Pakistan’s Punjab Province – and confirms an online report published on 5 January by the Center for the Study of the Drone at Bard College in New York.

The South Asian country’s UAV programme, which got under way in 2007 with the acquisition of Leonardo Airborne and Space Systems Falco fixed-wing medium-altitude/endurance surveillance UAVs, has been expanding in recent years with the arrival and deployment of the Burraq and Shahpar unmanned aerial systems (UASs).
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

From: The national Intrest: China Appears to Have Secretly Sold Pakistan a Large Combat Drone, Says Report
China appears to have secretly sold Pakistan a large combat drone, according to new satellite images.

This was first pointed out by the Center for the Study of the Drone at Bard College. Citing satellite images from November 2017, the Center reported on January 5th that there was a medium-altitude long-endurance drone spotted at the Alam Air Base in Mianwali, Pakistan. “The drone in the image appears to be a Wing Loong I. This assessment is based on its wingspan—which we believe to be around 14 meters— and its V-tail, as well as a comparison with other satellite images of the Wing Loong I elsewhere in the world,” the Center noted in its report. The report was later confirmed by IHS Jane’s, which cited different satellite images taken from the same time.

The Wing Loong I is a strike-capable medium-altitude long-endurance drone built by the Chinese firm Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC). It has a length of nine meters and a wingspan of fourteen meters. It can fly at heights of nearly 25,000 feet with a maximum speed of around 280 km/h and a range of 5,000 kilometers. According to IHS Jane's, it has a maximum take-off weight of 1,150 kilograms with a maximum payload capacity of 200 kg. The payload is split fifty-fifty between internal and external weapon stores. It is considered to be China’s version of America’s Predator drone.

The drone in Pakistan appears to have been deployed for testing purposes. As the Center for the Study of the Drone’s analysis pointed out: “No drones or supporting equipment are visible in earlier satellite images of the base, suggesting that this drone may have arrived at Alam Air Base sometime in late November. The fact that there is no evidence of additional drones at the base, along with the fact that it is painted white—not the battlefield gray like other, deployed Wing Loong drones—might suggest that it is a test platform, not an operational airframe.” If so, this is probably not the first time that the Pakistan Air Force has been testing the Wing Loong I. In June 2016, a drone that appeared to be the Wing Loong I crashed near Alam Air Base apparently during a test run.

Pakistan has been operating armed drones for a number of years now, likely with the assistance of China. Islamabad first acknowledged its strike drones in 2013, when the military released a statement saying it had developed two drones that it referred to as the Burraq and the Shahpar. Foreign experts immediately cast doubt on Pakistan’s ability to indigenously produce armed drones. For instance, Pieter Wezeman, a senior researcher at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), told the Financial Times: “Developing a drone with armed capability is much more difficult than just a reconnaissance one because the reconnaissance one can be built with very basic technology, but integrating weapons is a different level.” He added: “Either it is a Chinese UAV or based on Chinese technology.”

Indeed both the Shapar and the Burraq look a lot like the Chinese CH-3 UAV despite Pakistan’s claim that they were built by the local firms Global Industrial & Defence Solutions (GIDS) and National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM). Neil Gibson, an analyst at IHS Jane's, told FT that a "close analysis of the imagery released by Pakistan suggests at least a heavy debt to Chinese systems.” Regardless of their origin, Pakistan began using the UAVs to carry out strikes against militant groups located in the country's tribal areas in 2015.

Still deploying the Wing Loong I would be a significant upgrade over Pakistan’s current drone force. As the Center for the Study of the Drone noted in its analysis: “The acquisition of a heavier multi-role drone like the Wing Loong I would allow Pakistan to carry out longer and more complex missions than it can with its current fleet of unmanned systems.” It is quite possibly, however, that Islamabad ultimately opts for an “indigenous” drone that looks remarkably similar to the Wing Loong I. Indeed, in July 2017, Pakistan’s air force announced that it was developing a domestically built fifth-generation fighter, medium altitude long-endurance (MALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and munitions under a new program it called Project Azm. While Pakistan’s weapon designers work on building up this fleet—likely with the assistance of China, of course—Islamabad could be training its forces in operating the systems by relying on the prototype Wing Loong I seen in the satellite images.

For it’s part, China has quickly become a major drone exporter especially for nations that do not have access to American drones. Along with China’s own military and Pakistan, Beijing has exported the Wing Loong I to Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Last year it also announced its largest drone sale ever to a country it refused to disclose. That sale was of the more advanced Wing Loong II.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Ukraine supplying Pakistan with diesel engine and transmission for Al-Khalid main battle tanks. Apparently 110 kits.
UkrOboronProm announced that the Malyshev Plant delivered a batch of engine kits to Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT), Pakistan for installation on HIT’s al-Khalid I main battle tank (MBT).

According to its press release dated for January 12, 2018, UkrOboronProm states that the engine kits – which comprise of “the engine, transmission, engine maintenance systems, air purification system and armoured roof” – were the fifth batch delivered to Pakistan.

UkrOboronProm is a Ukrainian state-owned concern managing and promoting the country’s public-sector defence industry suppliers and manufacturers, among them being Malyshev Plant.

The engine program is a part of a $600 million U.S. memorandum-of-understanding (MoU) signed by HIT and Ukraine’s state-owned commercial dealing agency Ukrspecexport in November 2016.

As per Ukraine’s Ministry of Defence, the MoU was for providing “technical service … maintenance and modernization” for Pakistan’s tanks. It was reported that Pakistan also ordered 200 tank engines.

If the engines are being sought for the al-Khalid I, it is likely that they are the 1,200 hp 6TD-2 diesel engines.

In February 2017, Pakistan and Ukraine signed another MoU. Pakistan’s Minister of Defence Production was quoted by Pakistani media for stating that the MoU was for jointly producing tank engine and/or tank engine components. In March 2017, Pakistan issued a contract for 88 tank sights under a pilot overhaul and upgrade program for the Pakistan Army’s T-80UDs, which it had bought from Ukraine in the 1990s.

The Malyshev Plant is also interested in securing a Pakistan Army bid – potentially for 100 MBTs – for an off-the-shelf MBT to complement the al-Khalid-series. In August 2017, the Malyshev Plant announced that it was preparing an Oplot (reportedly ‘Oplot-P’) tank for trials in Pakistan. The Malyshev Plant is competing with China’s NORINCO and its VT4 for the off-the-shelf MBT bid.
Last edited by Kartik on 16 Jan 2018 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Al Khalid is likely in trouble and so is the T-84 given the chaos in Ukraine.

If Uncle Trump can remember where TSP is and still keep a lockdown on funds, we will see TSPA modernization delayed.

Fakers have been feeding off US freebies for a decade now.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Khalsa wrote:
ramana wrote:Who wants to lead a study of Pak Order of battle? Our knowledge is very old and dated to Sunil Sainis great efforts.
army or everything ?
(keen though)
pak Army. And please contribute here and in 2.5 Front War thread.

You are only one who volunteered. Thanks a lot.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Dunford on the US-Pakistan relations: ‘I’m not giving up’

U.S. chairman of the joint chiefs of staff is hopeful that military relationships can bridge any political divide between Washington and Islamabad.

“I’m committed to try to improve the relationship, and I do believe a military-to-military dialogue led by [Gen. Joseph Votel, commander of U.S. Central Command] with occasional reinforcement by [Secretary of Defense Jim] Mattis, myself and others, is the right approach,” said Gen. Joe Dunford, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.

“Do we agree on everything right now? No, we don’t. But are we committed to more effective relationship with Pakistan? We are, and I’m not giving up on that,” Dunford told reporters during a trip to NATO.

Dunford has good reason to hope military relations with Pakistan can weather the political fight. The Pentagon relies on supply lines through Pakistan known as the ground lines of communication, or GLOC, to deliver materiel into Afghanistan.

Those lines represent the cheapest way of getting supplies to U.S. forces in Afghanistan, something the Pentagon learned the hard way between Nov. 2011 and July 2012, when Pakistan shut the GLOC routes down following an incident where 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed by NATO forces along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Pakistan examining proposal for DGMO-level talks with India. - Misleading Headline.

Pakistan is examining a proposal for a (Pakistan seeks) DGMO-level meeting with India after a gap of four years to reduce tensions along the Line of Control and the Working Boundary through fresh confidence-building measures, a media report said today.

The report comes a day after Pakistan said four of its soldiers died and five others injured in cross-border firing by Indian troops across the LoC. The Indian Army, however, said seven Pakistani soldiers were killed in its retaliatory firing. (Porkistan is desperate for ending the effective response given by India)

A Pakistan defence ministry official in a meeting on Monday told the senate defence committee that a "fresh proposal of DGMOs' (director generals of military operations) meeting is being considered," the Dawn reported.

The official also briefed the senators about the latest trends in Indian ceasefire violations, it said. (Ya Allah give us back Manmohan and Congress who allowed us to enable infiltration into India to carry out periodic killings in India without us fearing any payback)

In November, a telephonic conversation between the two DGMOs took place following a request by the Pakistani side. :rotfl:

According to the report, one of the confidence-building measures being considered for the planned meeting of DGMOs is "calibre reduction" of the arms being used at the LoC. (Modi's response is too hot to handle and Porkistan thinks it can hoodwink India into stopping it)

Pakistan-India DGMOs have a frequent hotline contact, but they last met face-to-face four years ago at Wagah, a village which serves as a transit terminal between Lahore and Amritsar.

The December 24, 2013 Wagah meeting had taken place after a break of 14 years. That meeting too was held to discuss ways to ensure peace along the LoC and the Working Boundary.

Meanwhile, a resolution adopted by the senate committee through consensus condemned Indian Army chief Gen. Bipin Rawat's statement about "calling nuclear bluff of Pakistan" as "stupidity and provocative". (Mass browning of shalwars in Pindi and Isloo)

They termed it a "war-like" proclamation, the report said.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

ramana wrote:
Khalsa wrote:
army or everything ?
(keen though)
pak Army. And please contribute here and in 2.5 Front War thread.

You are only one who volunteered. Thanks a lot.
Pleasure.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Pak is planning to acquire the Turkish Altay MBT.The UKR is helping it iron out improvements to its fleet of Tu-80UDs and other MBTs in its inventory.It expects to build "hundreds" of MBTs in the next decade.These tMBTs based upon both SoKo's "Black Panther" and NATO MBT designs,with a 120mm main gun,will be a very usefui replacement for Pak's existing frontline MBTs.

It has also decided upon the Chinese Type 054 JIankai-2 class FFGs to replace its ex-RN Type 21 Amazon class FFGs,which date from the Falklands War,and which should've been pensioned off a decade ago.It also has a one lonely OH Perry class FFG from the US.The Chin 054 Jiankai-2 FFGs of around 4000t will be modern warships with a decent load of weaponry and should be compared with our Talwar/Tabar class,somewhat similar
In October, the outgoing Chief of Naval Staff Adm. Muhammad Zakaullah announced that Pakistan had reached a deal to procure new frigates from China. Zakaullah did not specify the model of the new frigates or the number of ships the Pakistan Navy will be procuring. Reports from 2012 had pegged the Pakistan Navy procuring upgraded or improved versions of the F-22P.

If Shanghai TV is correct, Pakistan could be procuring one of the China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation’s (CSIC) 4,000-ton frigate designs. According to IHS Jane’s, the 4,000-ton frigate design is based on the Type 054A. It has an endurance of 21 days, length of 135 m, range of 4,000 nautical miles (cruising at 18 knots) and top speed of 26 knots. It has 32 vertical-launch system (VLS) cells, one 76 mm main naval gun, two 30 mm guns and a 24-cell FL-3000N point-defence missile system (PDMS).

The CSIC 4,000-ton frigate is available in two variants: one with a target-illuminator to guide the semi-active radar-homing (SARH) HQ-16 SAM. The second is without a target-illuminator, but it possesses longer VLS cells. The second variant appears to have been designed to carry SAMs with active terminal-stage seekers and potentially other kinds of missiles, such as land-attack cruise missiles (LACM).
The latter variant is interesting in that it would maximize the utility of the 4,000-ton frigate’s use of active phased-array radar (APAR) and passive over-the-horizon radar (OTHR). Using the China Educational Instrument and Equipment Corp (CEIEC) SLR-66 as a benchmark, the frigate’s APAR could have a range of 280 km, while the OTHR would have a range of 500 km. The OTHR would provide the ship with stand-off range air and surface surveillance coverage, while the APAR can guide long-range SAM and/or AShM. The VLS cells would bode well for potential LACM usage (Pakistan has the 700-km range Babur 2). Pakistan could also configure the ship to carry long-range SAM for area-wide anti-air warfare coverage.

The caveat to this is whether Pakistan will in fact proceed with the CSOC 4,000-ton frigates as shown in the models, or a pared down model to reduce costs. However, if pared down, these ships are still large enough to be upgraded with APAR, OTHR and heightened VLS cells in the future.
Last edited by Philip on 17 Jan 2018 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Philip, Al Khalid production has been pared down and plans for a Mk2 dropped. Where is the budget in TSP for hundreds of Altays.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

No idea,but they have ambitions.Perhaps their Chin. chums may give them some loose change! But knowing hos the Paki army gets first peck at anything military,they'll get the MBT methinks,as they're probably sh*tting bricks at the size and sight of our MBTs esp. Arjun.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/indiandefencera/sta ... 7258458112 --> Exclusive Image (credits to owner) which claimed showing VT4 and Oplot together in during trials in Pakistan. One Chinese source already reported that Pakistan buying 100 VT-4s from China. as T-84 of Ukraine failed to meet requirements, surprisingly in Thailand too they failed.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Pakistan evaluating new attack helicopter
The Pakistan Army is looking at procuring a new attack helicopter type to enhance its current capabilities as part of a wider modernisation of its rotary-winged assault capabilities.

The Turkish T-129 is one of a number of attack helicopter types that Pakistan might look to acquire as it seeks to modernise its rotary-winged assault capabilities. Along with the Chinese-built Z-10 is it reported to have already been evaluated by Pakistan Army Aviation, while a follow-on buy of US-built AH-1Zs remains another possibility. (TAI)The Turkish T-129 is one of a number of attack helicopter types that Pakistan might look to acquire as it seeks to modernise its rotary-winged assault capabilities. Along with the Chinese-built Z-10 is it reported to have already been evaluated by Pakistan Army Aviation, while a follow-on buy of US-built AH-1Zs remains another possibility. (TAI)

Speaking at the IQPC Military Helicopter conference in London, the commander of Pakistan Army Aviation, Major General Nasir D Shah, said that a number of platform options are being considered to augment its current Bell AH-1 Cobras, its already arrived and soon-to-be inducted Mil Mi-35s, and its soon to be delivered Bell AH-1Z Viper platforms.

“Army Aviation has plans to further enhance its attack helicopter fleets, and various options are currently being considered and evaluated,” Gen Shah said on 31 January. “Army Aviation needs a platform that is suitable for operations in a dusty environment, that can fly in extreme high temperatures while suitably configured [with weapons and sensors], can operate in low visibility [night and ‘brownout’ conditions], that demonstrates ease of maintenance and logistic support, and where depot-level maintenance can be transferred [to Pakistan].”

While the general made no reference to the platforms being considered, Pakistan is known to have evaluated the Chinese-built Z-10 as far back as 2014, and it was reported by Turkey that a number of its TAI T-129 attack helicopters had been sent to Pakistan for evaluation in 2016. Besides these two platforms, Pakistan might instead procure additional AH-1Zs to fulfil its requirements.

According to Gen Shah, while the current Cobras have proven to be effective over their more-than-30-years of service, they are now showing their limitations. “The [current 32] AH-1 helicopters have provided effective close support for our ground forces engaged in counterinsurgency [COIN] operations, but they cannot be employed effectively in high-altitude operations above 8,000 ft,” he noted.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

So it seems the JF-17 made “landmark” BVR test today. Which meant they had lied about the the Blunder having any BVR capability in the previous decade since induction.

Quote is from the video description. Looks like official vid.

Published on Feb 2, 2018

It was a landmark occasion for the PAF as well as the whole nation, when the indigenously produced JF-17 Thunder shot down a slow speed target with BVR (Beyond Visual Range) and IR (Infrared) missile with pin point accuracy at Sonmiani firing range Friday.

Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman, Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force was the Chief Guest at the ceremony.

The day marked a monumental episode in the glorious history of PAF as a state-of-the-art Weapon Test Range has been made operational to track the complete trajectory of the aircraft and launched missiles. This modern facility, developed in collaboration with Chinese authorities, is equipped with real time tracking and measuring equipment to qualify the indigenously developed and procured weapon systems.

The live demonstration was a potent display of the PAF’s capability to successfully locate and destroy high/slow speed moving targets by employing high-tech inventory of aircraft and missiles.

Addressing at the occasion the Air Chief said, “We are thankful to Allah Almighty who has given us the strength to achieve this extraordinary milestone. The successful testing of these sophisticated weapons is a testimony of JF-17 Thunder's multirole capabilities. It is a matter of immense pride that six PAF fighter squadrons have already being equipped with the pride of the nation JF-17 Thunder aircraft, making it the backbone of our aerial defence.”

He also lauded the hard work put in by PAF and Chinese personnel in making this event a success.

Earlier, Air Vice Marshal Haseeb Paracha, Air Officer Commanding, Southern Air Command received the Chief Guest on his arrival at the venue. High ranking PAF officers along with civil and military offici
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

11 Soldiers died in an attack at Swat, Pakistan. This includes an officer.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1387072
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

chola wrote:So it seems the JF-17 made “landmark” BVR test today. Which meant they had lied about the the Blunder having any BVR capability in the previous decade since induction.
Good find. The banner behind clearly says qualification. The Tejas passed this stage in 2007.
Zynda wrote:Why is China continuing to develop this aircraft for TSP or export customers exclusively if PLAAF is not interested in inducting the type?
Client states need dumbed down stuff in the event they go the other way - like Pakistan becoming an Islamist state and supporting the Uyghur cause.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

That plume, and tracking seems to be from an IIR missile. It was more like an after sales demo, then a qualification trial.

Do we have any firing video of SD-10 from bunder?
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

No, there is no video of the SD-10 being fired from the JF-17 that I know of. And it is indeed strange that they didn't show the video of the firing and separation from the JF-17.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Bishwa wrote:11 Soldiers died in an attack at Swat, Pakistan. This includes an officer.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1387072
So shall you reap
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X posted from the Oppression of Minorities in Pakistan thread to the Pashtun Civil War, Terroristan and Pak Mil threads.

New York Times on the oppression of minority Pashtun aka Pathan minority by the Unformed Jihadi’s of the Punjabi Military Dominated Deep State of the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

India must provide 800% “Diplomatic and Moral support: to the long suffering Pathans aka Pashtun to enable them to standup to the genocidal oppression by the Unformed Jihadi’s of the Punjabi Military Dominated Deep State of the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan:

In Pakistan, Long-Suffering Pashtuns Find Their Voice

Excerpts:
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — At first, the killing last month of Naqeebullah Mehsud — an aspiring model shot by the police in Karachi who claimed afterward that he was a Taliban militant — seemed merely the latest in a long series of abuses carried out by the authorities against ethnic Pashtuns in Pakistan. ………………….
……………… many residents still view the soldiers as occupiers, ……………….