INS Arihant (ATV) News and Discussion -2

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Re: INS Arihant (ATV) News and Discussion -2

Post by prasannasimha »

No it is about signals like Global times ranting every move is made with purpose.When we say we are testing or doing this or that the secondary meaning is often the message. Winter time was when a push was always exp3ected. The attempt was started again in Arunachal Pradesh as a test and was foiled. Lizard does not do any move without intention.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

Serendipitously as I was predicting
This is posturing

krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

^^^ Unmistakabley K5 from aridaman tubes, K5 incidentally was to be navy s first mirv capable delivery system since K4 from all image analysis suggest single big maal.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Why K5 KK sir, and not A5? Only K4 has supposedly been developed and is due for another test?
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

^ i think its the routine A5 test, which HK Rout had tweeted abt earlier.
The K5 ,as per tradition, would be tested on an underwater pontoon off Vishakapatnam, and not from the ITR.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Exactly. Range is also K5 class. Speaking of which where are muh MIRVs???? Whut happened to dat program, dun gone silent.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Karan M no sir for me just KK is fine, all I can say is lot of stuff has been tested in disguise or another. This will be multiple maal variant.

A google excercise for people (if interested in image analysis) if you dissect k4 via pixel sizes than the top portion dimension mimicked single bum(~2 tns one) , now see if they publish next images of newer tests (in guise of a series) you will see that top portion now would be able to accommodate multiple maals ( after this test)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think A5 as the final test is needed before user trials etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 468708.cms

Interesting article from the Economic Times on the recent 'accident'. Says the government must have known what was going on
It's by Yusuf U. Who is a member here.

Quite logical instead of tirades.

I agree that K4 is now in Arihant.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I don't think we announce our slbm shots, Agni we do as per agreement with TSP
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I never believed the Arihant hatch story when it appeared.

We have to accept that fact that in these matters, we will never know the truth and that is how it should be.

I am also posting the Economic Times article in the Deterrence thread.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Ru subs do have batches at the rear, apart from the tear hatch There are pics of their subs in the dockyards showing the same.If as stated there was large input( some say Akula class tech) from Ru in the design, we should expect many similarities.I frankly don't think this was a disinfo exercise meant to conceal some other operational factor.If accurate it may explain the delay in the launch of the second boat, INS Arighat.It may have necessitated some mods. on the second boat in the line of the incident.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

There is something simple that everyone missed. That's the mention that the incident happened when sub was in the harbor. As per news the hatch was accidentally opened and water rushed in. Now where in the world, the hatch opening will make the water enter the sub when the sub is in harbor? i don't think the designers are that stupid to have a hatch below waterline. :lol: There goes the authenticity of the news of water entering due to hatch opening. :rotfl: Someone must have got some inputs of some incident and they are trying through media to figure out more about that incident by planting fake stories, or even if no incident to figure out more about our sub/s and where they are etc is what i think. Whatever information they can get by provoking.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

'Harbor' does not mean that it is docked. It could have exited its dock and still be in the harbor. This is a completely theoretical comment because one does not usually expect a submarine to start a dive in a harbor (but I know very little about sea stuff, let alone submarine stuff). In any case, the article smelt odd for several reasons. But there is one aspect of the article about the ministry not knowing about this which is funky. It is mischevious and rash, at a minimum. ''The Hindu' should really know better than to try this kind of a stunt....and the fact that they did not, is puzzling.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

If you read the reports, the IN is supposed to have itself admitted that there was flooding due to a hatch being left open requiring significant replacement work of piping.There are a number of flush fitting hatches on subs seen only in dockyards /refit pics, for decoys, commns. buoys, creeper motors, etc.In addition hatches for ballast tanks.Not all are above the waterline. Not having the drawings of the sub with us there's no point in speculating what other reason was there in the absence of any other information to the contrary.I once again remind all that the opening of a wrong sea valve flooded the engine room of the Viraat many years ago when it was in harbour .That also took months to clean up.

Secondly as I said before, perhaps only a skeleton crew was aboard which delayed emergency measures being taken.When a vessel is in the docks, dockyards maintenance technical staff attend to repairs, etc.Even in the best of navies accidents happen during this time when the utmost safety measures are required.A few years ago a fire aboard a USN SSN , the Miami,devastated the sub which was later written off.A similar fire destroyed a Russian sub too.

In the final reckoning, the silver lining is that the sub is now back in action.I feel that the press which knew about the accident,was muzzled on any reporting about the incident until the sub returned to duty.We were expecting the launch of the Arighat much earlier.This may have delayed that event along with the sonar dome problem that the Chakra experienced. Right now we have two Arcs in the water.One on its trials and the other operational.Hopefully the Chakra will join them and within 2-3 years, another Akula-2/3 will be with us as well as.
ATV no.3.This will give us 4-5 N subs operational in a few years time leaving the conv. boats aside.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Everything is supposed. Suppose it never happened. :) One request to forum members is not to trust journos blindly (excluding some with excellent credibility). They can write anything.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

One request to forum members is not to trust journos blindly (excluding some with excellent credibility - Who that might be I wonder?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Govt not in the loop canard smacks of the fake 'coup' by Gen VP Singh that was enacted.
this was complete with dilli state govt activating its 'spies' and 'spotters' behind every bush on inbound highways waiting for the coup brigades armour to roll in.

a shameful chapter in the overflowing chapters of shame of indian MSM journalism.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The Hindu report quoted IN sources.I doubt any mainstream paper would resort to such feku reports.Secondly, the report, which has been taken up by several national dailies and overseas media including Newsweek, has not been contradicted by the IN or MOD.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

If anybody reads #mediapimps and fall for #mediapimps narrative, then blame yourself. Time and again it has been pointed out that the scum that could not find any job worthwhile became #mediapimps. Of course there are great journos out there and one should step out of their cozy bubble to find those journos. Till then a healthy does of skepticism helps. Some newspapers like Hindu are china shills while (u)NDTV is an american shill.

In the "open hatch, insert foot" article, posters concentrated on this quote:

The incident was first reported by The Hindu. According to an Indian Navy source, a hatch was left open on the rear left side of the ship, allowing seawater to rush into the propulsion area while the Arihant was in harbor. Arihant was out of action for ten months as water was pumped out and pipes were cut out and replaced. Indian authorities likely felt that pipes exposed to corrosive seawater couldn't be trusted again, particularly pipes that carry pressurized water coolant to and from the ship’s 83 megawatt nuclear reactor. Failing pipes could not only endanger the ship’s crew but the entire submarine... and her nuclear weapons.
But they should have concentrated on this part:
India’s first ballistic missile submarine is the result of a $2.9 billion submarine technology program. Construction on Arihant began in 2009, and the ship was commissioned into the Indian Navy seven years later in October 2016. The modified Russian Akula-1 class nuclear attack submarine was lengthened to accommodate twelve K-15 short-range nuclear missiles or four K-4 intermediate range nuclear missiles. K-15 missiles, with their 434-mile range, primarily target Pakistan, while K-4 missiles, with their 2,174-mile range can reach all of Pakistan and as far as the capital of India’s other neighborhood rival, Beijing. A second missile submarine, INS Arighant, was launched in December, and at least three submarines are planned.
What it means:

1. The article is for western audience (of course, see the range is in miles)
2. K4 is operational
3. Arighat is the 3rd boat and is launched.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

disha wrote:If anybody reads #mediapimps and fall for #mediapimps narrative, then blame yourself. Time and again it has been pointed out that the scum that could not find any job worthwhile became #mediapimps. Of course there are great journos out there and one should step out of their cozy bubble to find those journos. Till then a healthy does of skepticism helps. Some newspapers like Hindu are china shills while (u)NDTV is an american shill.

In the "open hatch, insert foot" article, posters concentrated on this quote:

The incident was first reported by The Hindu. According to an Indian Navy source, a hatch was left open on the rear left side of the ship, allowing seawater to rush into the propulsion area while the Arihant was in harbor. Arihant was out of action for ten months as water was pumped out and pipes were cut out and replaced. Indian authorities likely felt that pipes exposed to corrosive seawater couldn't be trusted again, particularly pipes that carry pressurized water coolant to and from the ship’s 83 megawatt nuclear reactor. Failing pipes could not only endanger the ship’s crew but the entire submarine... and her nuclear weapons.
But they should have concentrated on this part:
India’s first ballistic missile submarine is the result of a $2.9 billion submarine technology program. Construction on Arihant began in 2009, and the ship was commissioned into the Indian Navy seven years later in October 2016. The modified Russian Akula-1 class nuclear attack submarine was lengthened to accommodate twelve K-15 short-range nuclear missiles or four K-4 intermediate range nuclear missiles. K-15 missiles, with their 434-mile range, primarily target Pakistan, while K-4 missiles, with their 2,174-mile range can reach all of Pakistan and as far as the capital of India’s other neighborhood rival, Beijing. A second missile submarine, INS Arighant, was launched in December, and at least three submarines are planned.
What it means:

1. The article is for western audience (of course, see the range is in miles)
2. K4 is operational
3. Arighat is the 3rd boat and is launched.
All smokes and mirrors Disha Sir. I am still confused what happened to INS Aridhaman and the actual number of boats. Much like the Sagarika saga. Did the name change really happen? Personally, I kind of prefer this 'purdah mein rehne do approach around our sea based nuclear detergent.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:All smokes and mirrors Disha Sir. I am still confused what happened to INS Aridhaman and the actual number of boats. Much like the Sagarika saga. Did the name change really happen? Personally, I kind of prefer this 'purdah mein rehne do approach around our sea based nuclear detergent.
I do not think it was a name change. Since lot of it is under purdah, adding some embellishments over the purdah will not hurt. I think the second boat might as well have been repurposed for SSN. That project has been started as well. Further two more are in works for SSBN with twice the K-4 load out and further still a larger SSBN with 13.5 kilo Tonne displacement and 12 K-5 load outs (K5 > K4 in range. Also there is talk about K-6) is on design board.

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/the- ... 2017-12-10

By 2022/2025 (5-8 years), I think India will have at least 3-4 SSBNs and 2-3 SSNs and 2-3 larger SSBNs in fabrication. The pace of construction has gone up rapidly and also expect more prying eyes from #mediapimps fishing for information on India's nuclear submarine fleet.

Here is something
A solitary two-month patrol by a Chinese submarine in late 2013 came as a rude wake-up call for India's security establishment. Chinas most advanced SSN, a Shang class, sailed out from its bastion in Hainan island on December 13, 2013 and returned after a two-month 'anti-piracy' patrol in the Indian Ocean, on February 12, 2014. R&AW assessments termed the deployment 'seriously aggravated India's security concerns'. The ATV headquarters soon dusted out plans for building a series of six indigenous SSNs, shelved by the government over a decade ago due to budgetary constraints. Plans called for a series of submarines capable of speeds of over 25 knots and diving to 500 metres.
That is the plan/design/construction of 6 SSNs is already underway. Note that the original Arihant class submarine design was for a SSN. It was made into a SSBN (or a baby-boomer) post Shakti-II.

Now here is a statement which is self-contradictory at various level (from the above linked article)
Yet, as is the case with the indigenous SSN, the main challenge in building the S-5 lies in its propulsion plant-a 190-MW nuclear plant- says an official familiar with the project. Development work has started on this new plant will have thrice the output of the Arihant's 83 MW reactor which uses Highly Enriched Uranium (HEU). A former BARC official and part of the Reactor Projects Division which built the Arihant's reactor is confident the 83 MW can be scaled up. "One of the biggest challenges in a naval reactor is compacting it to fit a confined space. Since the new platform (S-5) will have a bigger volume and displacement, upscaling the present reactor should be no problem." Without a breakthrough in propulsion technology, India's sea-based deterrent will continue to be a modest one.
If the S5 reactor is 3x the size of Arihant, then should it not be @250 MW? An SSN with 190-MW nuclear plant? That is an oxymoron, since US-Virginia has I think 150-MW. Even US-Los Angeles SSN has 165-MW. I might be chewing some cud, but 190-MW for an @ 6000 tonne SSN is an overkill.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Philip wrote:The Hindu report quoted IN sources.I doubt any mainstream paper would resort to such feku reports.Secondly, the report, which has been taken up by several national dailies and overseas media including Newsweek, has not been contradicted by the IN or MOD.
Don't you think when the govt comes to contradict something that's part of nuclear triad, we have to let out some information, which could be of use to the enemies? Even whether the sub was there at the harbor during that time or not? Then why give such tidbits.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I think the govt. clamped down on any reportage of the incident earlier until the boat was back at sea.This way it would also dispel any false rumours and speculation of worse damage, etc.You can take it any way.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

After the sub is fixed, it is not harmful to share the info with public although it was not required.

But look at the brighter side, it confirms that our boats are doing active patrols. It is good to fix such critical issues during peacetime and apply these in follow up boats. All good, so just chill and relax.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I had enough of the pointy nose weapons. I need my ogival nose and I want it on Jan18.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Perhaps also a "pointed" message to Xi Gins and his eerie men who may have thought that our SSBN was incapacitated was back at sea either pointy things aimed at them!
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

This was likely a missile hatch door what didn't close properly after a missile was ejected from it
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^^^ these silos are designed to flood after the missile is launched and until the door is closed again and water pumped out. they are all isolated from each other and from interior of the ship for safety. as each missile is launched and water floods in, the balance of the ship is continuously trimmed at the helm using ballast water and compressed air.
the extreme case is firing off all missiles from a large SSBN. has only been done a few times. its not easy and needs a well trained crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icsVIJAwit0
Op begemot. you can see the K4 style tractor nose rockets also...

however you could be right that maintenance hatch into the improperly closed tube could be open from the inside, when it dived at harbour.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

There might have been a leak from the silo into the sub and that was all there might have been

The pumps to remove the sea water from the silos might have failed or malfunctioned etc etc.

All this is speculation of course, but it is not possible that any other hatch on a submarine was left open. IF the HATCH story really happened, it HAS to be a silo hatch, and some sea water stayed in the silo, or the silo door was damaged or refused to close or some sea water ingressed or leaked into the sub itself

Not a major issue, happens in all navies with N subs with VLS silos.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Are the silos flooded prior to launch?
The torpedo tubes are flooded prior to launch then the muzzle door is opened.

Unless there is water in the silo, the gas generator won't work no?
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Damage to INS Arihant
It may be noted that indigenously built nuclear ballistic missile submarine INS Arihant, which suffered extensive damage because of human error over a year ago, is yet to be back to active sailing. After extensive flushing and replacement of many of its pipes, it was floated recently but sailing it will take more time, the sources said.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/r ... 734847.ece
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Now these journos from The Hindu says INS Arihant is yet to sail. Manu Pubby said otherwise. Who is to be believed? The riot act should be read out to these anti-nationals: no baseless reporting on such a sensitive topic. Any violation should lead to serious consequences: police custody, etc. at the very least.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

There will always be obfuscation. We will never know the true status.
Prithwiraj
BRFite

Post by Prithwiraj »

Given considerable Russian design inputs and technology consulting --- How can we keep this cloak of secrecy? I mean do we have any control of over what message and info Russia wants to pass on to others ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Gagan wrote:Are the silos flooded prior to launch?
The torpedo tubes are flooded prior to launch then the muzzle door is opened.

Unless there is water in the silo, the gas generator won't work no?
there is a doorsy thing of sorts that opens like a leaf just before the gas generator ignites. I do not believe its flooded like a TT to aid in quiet swimout on own power without compressed air
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pSjd3gtVq1U/maxresdefault.jpg
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

As fas as N- boats are concerned, their movements are most closely monitored so there can be a fair amount of disinformation put out by the IN deliberately.Decption, deception, deception.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Singha ji
The gas generator fixed to the musharraf of the missile, is a simple explosive charge, that quickly evaporates the water in the missile silo. This explosive steam generated pushes the missile out of the silo.
For the gas generator to work, there has to be water in the silo.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I wuz thinking they use compressed air like the cold launch cansisters on land eg topolM/S300
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

A good perspective of our future plans for the naval leg of the triad of our strat. deterrent./

http://www.spsnavalforces.com/story/?id ... Submarines
Strategic Base for Nuclear Submarines
The growing prowess of the third leg of India’s nuclear triad may be slow to take-off and emerge as a potent force, yet it already has all essentials to employ deterrence in the region

Issue: 1 / 2018By Rear Admiral Sushil Ramsay (Retd)Photo(s): By MOD
INS Arihant
Close on the hels of Golden Jubilee celebrations of the Submarine Arm came a report on in-principle approval of the Central Government for clearance of the acquisition of 676 hectares of forest land in Rambilli off Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh for the classified Nuclear Submarine Base on the eastern seaboard was received with a big cheer. This proposal had been languishing for the past seven years, or more. The ambitious Nuclear Submarine Base, code-named Project Varsha has been conceived and planned as a strategic asset of the nation, to be a stealthy base for the emerging prowess of the third leg of the Nuclear Triad. The Base is designed to contain whole gambit of maintenance, support infrastructure, technical area and the command and control centre, way beyond the range and reach of the hostile satellites to snoop.

Phase I of Project Varsha which is designated as the Naval Alternate Operating Base is already on stream and progressing very well. The approval-in principle for Phase II is a real shot in the arm and will now propel the project to start expanding vital facilities to safely house recharge stations and technical support areas for future nuclear-powered strategic assets to break out at the time of own choosing under favourable conditions.

Reportedly, the approvals are in place for the project to establish a new missile testing range in the Andaman Islands and a few more strategic facilities to be dispersed in Madhya Pradesh. In the past there were serious impediments and inordinate delays in acquiring land for critical needs to store, service and manufacture equipment for nuclear assets like missiles, warheads, etc.

Project Varsha is a strategic joint venture between Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Navy. The forest area for which clearance has been awarded recently is ideal to provide camouflage and concealment to this vital and strategic facility. The area is located at Varahat and Sarada River front which provides a safe entry into the Bay of Bengal to launch nuclear submarines on operational missions.

Naval Advanced Operating Base

Over the past 50 years Eastern Naval Command has witnessed phenomenal growth such that its present location has saturated to the extent that additional infrastructure and facilities are now not possible at Visakhapatnam. Hence, the futuristic projects of the Command have to be dispersed to village Rambilli which is 50 km south of Visakhapatnam. The new naval base has been designated as the Naval Advanced Operating Base (NAOB) which is designed to construct underground submarine pens to house the expanding fleet of nuclear submarines and to protect them from snooping by satellites and air strikes.

It is estimated that with the clearance for land acquisitions, the development work on the classified base will receive significant boost and gather momentum in a big way for the construction of tunnels, jetties, depots, workshops and accommodation. The recent clearance for land acquisitions is expected to pave way for a sprawling and futuristic base to be spread over 20 sq km. Also, just 20 km away at Atchutapuram, the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) is constructing a research and development complex that will support the submarine base. About 845 hectares have already been handed to BARC for the new facility.

Future Ready Force Levels

Submersible Ship Ballistic Missile Nuclear
With the commissioning of INS Arihant, India has already acquired the membership of the elite club of six comprising the US, Russia, the UK, France and China to indigenously build a Submersible Ship Ballistic Missile Nuclear (SSBN). INS Arihant can carry twelve Sagarika (K-15) Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles (SLBMs) that have a range of 700 km. In addition to the proven K-15, DRDO is also developing a longer-range SLBM, designated as K-4, which the future SSBNs will also carry. INS Arihant is only equipped to handle four of the larger K-4s, as Arihant has four launch tubes but three K-15s can fit in each launch tube. The submarine can also carry torpedoes and Submarine Launched Cruise Missiles (SLCMs).

INS Arihant was built primarily as a training platform to indoctrinate the selected crew to master the art of operating and operationally exploit the SSBN optimally under all conditions. Government has approved construction of four follow-on SSBN of Arihant class. It is learnt that second SSBN design will be an upgraded version of Arihant and will pack greater firepower than the first SSBN of line. Reportedly, the second SSBN is likely to be fitted out with eight vertical launch tubes, allowing it to carry twenty-four K-15 missiles or eight K-4 missiles. In addition, the new boats will have a reactor more powerful than the INS Arihant’s 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor. The new reactor will use uranium as fuel and light water as a coolant and moderator, which will allow it to operate stealthily and will have submerged endurance of about two months. The new SSBN will be able to clock submerged speed of 24 knots.

The growing prowess of the third leg of India’s nuclear triad may be slow to takeoff and emerge as a potent force, yet it already has all essentials to employ deterrence in the region

Reportedly the Indian Navy will have five SSBNs in its arsenal that will be capable of launching missiles to a target range of over 5,000 km, eventually. The Arihant class of SSBNs are critical for the secondstrike option in case India comes under a nuclear attack. The first of its class, INS Arihant, is already operational, while its successor, the Arighat, is being outfitted at Visakhapatnam. The second SSBN Arighat which was earlier speculated to be named as Aridhaman is being readied for eventual induction. The submarine has been launched into water and has now entered the crucial phase of outfitting. The submarine was launched by Defence Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman last year which was kept under a wrap to keep away from hostile gaze. It is an open secret that the first of line has a far longer gestation period than its follow-on. Thus Arihant which was launched in the summer of 2009 was commissioned as INS Arihant under a quiet ceremony by Chief of the Naval Staff during August 2016. Having learnt the right lessons and after gaining vital experience, Indian Navy is now aiming at an ambitious target of two years to commission Arighat.

Submersible Ship Nuclear
During February 2015 construction of six Submersible Ship Nuclear (SSN) to bridge the gap of force level of 28 conventional submarines as per original perspective plan for building and modernisation of the Submarine Arm, was approved by the Government. The mammoth plan, expected to cost over $12 billion, is for six modern SSNs to be made in India. It is learnt that the design work which is a derivative of Arihant class has already started and the ambitious project for a new class of submarines is expected to fructify within 15 years.

Strategic Perspective
An ambitious and strategically crucial Project Varsha has all the ingredients to be classified as a valuable and worthy counterpart of the futuristic naval base established at Karwar under ‘Project Seabird’ in coastal Karnataka to give India’s maritime forces both strategic depth and operational flexibility on the western seaboard against Pakistan. Phase I of Karwar naval base is complete and part sanction of Phase II is also in place While Karwar will eventually decongest an already over-crowded Mumbai harbour, Project Varsha too holds the identical promise for the Eastern Naval Command on the eastern seaboard.

Total credit is due to the vision and farsightedness of the naval planners for conceiving and planning ambitious Project Varsha to house; Forwarding Operating Base and Operational Turn-around bases on the eastern seaboard for growing force levels of Eastern Naval Command. The Base promises to emerge as a state of the art, latest technology enabled infrastructure, support and maintenance facilities, technical area for preparation of weapons, missiles, etc. This is indeed a forward looking initiative as in the future newer warships, aircraft carrier, aircraft, drones, support auxiliaries, etc. will require wide berths for housing, launching and operating.

Project Varsha will have all the ingredients, albeit at smaller scale to match China’s massive underground nuclear submarine base at Yalong on the southernmost tip of Hainan Island, which houses its new Shang-class SSNs and the Jin-class SSBNs. The growing prowess of the third leg of India’s nuclear triad may be slow to take-off and emerge as a potent force, yet it already has all essentials to employ deterrence in the region. It is this realisation which will compress the build and induction cycle of Arighat, the second SSBN and the follow-on programme. Likewise, construction of six SSNs will also be energised to ensure that the project comes on stream with quite efficiency.