Indian Navy News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Navy News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Chetak sir,

I consider Gen's Sagat Singh and Hanut Singh as my gurus but my heart is always with the one and only Admiral Echo Chandy Kuruvilla. Oh the stories I have heard. I have to ask - are they true ?
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Singha wrote:Zorya or ge or rr may not make all parts. Generally a collection of vendors supply these and some may have collapsed and vanished as it happened in 1991 ussr. The physical plant may be there but unpaid workers moved away. Antonov perhaps had a deep cache of parts and better finances to upg our an32 nicely. Marine gas turbine is a much lower volume business

Being a militia member offers better work in todays ukraine
:) Yes that is certainly possible. But the life of a militia man/woman is nasty brutish and short. Dangling money on the guys who have the IP like the Chinese have done or the US did after WWII (Werner von Braun) to make in India could have paid off handsomely.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Without all the gizmo fitted.. I have to say P15B does look very TFTA & stealthy !

Is there is a way to drop in the engine? or parts of ship needs to be cut off for it to be installed?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

During the INS Kanderi launch, along with another P15B?

https://s28.postimg.org/nvgdzd8jh/IMG_2 ... 38_679.jpg

John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

nam wrote:During the INS Kanderi launch, along with another P15B?

https://s28.postimg.org/nvgdzd8jh/IMG_2 ... 38_679.jpg

Yes that is what I was referring in 1 year not much has been completed on Vishakapatnam.

The engine should have been already installed on it, likely delay was in launch and latter vessels.
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

But is that P15B the Vishakapatnam or Porbandar?
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Anurag wrote:But is that P15B the Vishakapatnam or Porbandar?
You mean Mormugao? It was only launched on 2016 Sept and superstructure was not completed.

https://m.economictimes.com/slideshows/ ... 421754.cms
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

nam wrote:Without all the gizmo fitted.. I have to say P15B does look very TFTA & stealthy !

Is there is a way to drop in the engine? or parts of ship needs to be cut off for it to be installed?
they leave a huge hole where the helicopter area is and slide it forward or drop it in via the funnel....the engines are usually located directly below where the funnels are.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

They are two separate hulls for sure.... In the one the mfstar antenna is hollow unlike the other.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Cain Marko wrote:
They are two separate hulls for sure.... In the one the mfstar antenna is hollow unlike the other.
They are separated by one year you don’t think in a one year they installed Mf Star covering in the mast.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EoI) FOR PROCUREMENT OF
SHIP INSTALLED RADIAC SYSTEM (SIRS) FOR INDIAN NAVY
by
Directorate of NBCD
Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Navy)

https://www.indiannavy.nic.in/sites/def ... c%2017.pdf
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Not the first time Im hearing about Indian sub communication being hacked
@GreatGameIndia
Follow Follow @GreatGameIndia
More
Did you know during #KargilWar with #Pakistan the #TopSecret double-encrypted Indian Naval codes were #hacked that caused the operation to fail. Did you know codes were hacked from within India? Did you know this secret spy hub is still operational?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Neela wrote:Not the first time Im hearing about Indian sub communication being hacked
@GreatGameIndia
More
Did you know during #KargilWar with #Pakistan the #TopSecret double-encrypted Indian Naval codes were #hacked that caused the operation to fail. Did you know codes were hacked from within India? Did you know this secret spy hub is still operational?

Reads like BS to me.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

+1. VLF antennas (which I presume by sub communication) are no joke - they need to kilometers long, hundreds of kilowatts powerful. And the american embassy transmitted it ? Defies physics as I understand it.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

To the best of my knowledge,that during Kargil it was we who broke the Paki codes and had them all bottled up.Before the war began they had "X" no. of warships and subs operational and after the balloon went up could only muster "Y" no.We knew exactly where they were and had a full-fledged war broken out they would've run out of fuel within 2 weeks and their navy would've had a very short and exciting experience!
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Didnt we intercept call between Musharraf (in China) & his Corps Commander during Kargil? It was broadcast on all major channels.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Yes,but we should never have made it public and alerted the Pakis that we could intercept their commns. The greatest secrets of WW2 were the ability of the Allies to break both the German codes and Japanese. They won the war because of that.Knowing the location of German U-boats in the Atlantic and he plans of the Japanese navy -Battle of Midway especially,where they sank the bulk of the Imperial navy's carriers. later on,they knew about Adm. Yamamoto's flight plans and shot him down.In WW again,the notorious Cambrdige spies,Kim Philby and co.,spying for the Soviets,handed over priceless British intel about the Germans and Hitler's plans to attack Russia.Philby provided Stalin with advance warning of Operation Barbarossa and of the Japanese intention to strike into southeast Asia instead of attacking the USSR as Hitler had urged. The first was ignored as a provocation, but the second, when confirmed by the Russo-German journalist and spy in Tokyo, Richard Sorge, contributed to Stalin's decision to transport troops from the Far East in time for the counteroffensive around Moscow.

In war,it is always intel,intel,intel that comes first,second and third...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

tsarkar wrote:Didnt we intercept call between Musharraf (in China) & his Corps Commander during Kargil? It was broadcast on all major channels.
yes and it was deliberately revealed to put pressure on mushrador to call it quits since our PMO was not so ready for a full-on war.

the other CT i can offer is the americans / russians / chinese recorded it and used some mole to release it to indian channels to achieve the same effect and stop the conflict easier. a dhamki to mushrador that next would be a film of him jacking off in the shower with someone else's wife. since the paki comms and C3I networks are mostly american made and funded, I would imagine its them who used backdoors and listening posts to get it recorded.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Neela wrote:Not the first time Im hearing about Indian sub communication being hacked
@GreatGameIndia
More
looks like a shady anti-aadhar campaigner. one of many such spreading FUD to the unsuspecting Indian.
OT
firefox/mozilla has been showing some extremely one-sided campaign articles against aadhar..
https://foundation.mozilla.org/campaigns/aadhaar/
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Who is orchestrating this and why ? How do they manage to subvert browsers ? Rahul did you see the recent action by Indian ethical hackers based in Kerala. I think one of our webmasters posted it. Great job.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

they did a great job. folks in interesting quarters have sat up and taken notice.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Boeing in talks with navy to sell F-18
Nothing new in the article, just that they would like to have a bigger share of world's largest import market, evaluation yet to take place..orders should be combined..blah blah...
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Rahul M wrote:they did a great job. folks in interesting quarters have sat up and taken notice.

:lol:

(one of the posters in the defunct GDF used to post self flagellating stuff about how bad we malloo birathers are, due to his political leanings. When I pointed out that a certain college kids collective was the only one in India, to take down 126 odd paki websites as retaliation for some hack the pakis mistakenly did of mohanlal’s site (they thought lal’s honorary colonel title was serious :rotfl: ) the response was “but what is the point? Useless!”....well, birathers in dark dark corridors of certain old temples disagreed and went about the task of slapping pakis with minimal fanfare. Inshallah, cheeni birathers are slowly waking up with cheeks that are smarting)
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

only an idiot will say ‘what’s the point’ when hundreds of Pak sites are attacked. What these warriors are doing is crucial. Super crucial. I shall have many appams in their honour. Well done guys. And well done those shady people in interesting places who notice this and do their craft. This war needs to be fought as much on the cyber , intel side as on the kinetic side.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

And planters punch.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Chetak sir,

I consider Gen's Sagat Singh and Hanut Singh as my gurus but my heart is always with the one and only Admiral Echo Chandy Kuruvilla. Oh the stories I have heard. I have to ask - are they true ?
most of them are.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

srin wrote:+1. VLF antennas (which I presume by sub communication) are no joke - they need to kilometers long, hundreds of kilowatts powerful. And the american embassy transmitted it ? Defies physics as I understand it.
part deleted by mod - sensitive information

maybe M sent Bond out on loan to the amrekis??
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Singha wrote:
tsarkar wrote:Didnt we intercept call between Musharraf (in China) & his Corps Commander during Kargil? It was broadcast on all major channels.
yes and it was deliberately revealed to put pressure on mushrador to call it quits since our PMO was not so ready for a full-on war.

the other CT i can offer is the americans / russians / chinese recorded it and used some mole to release it to indian channels to achieve the same effect and stop the conflict easier. a dhamki to mushrador that next would be a film of him jacking off in the shower with someone else's wife. since the paki comms and C3I networks are mostly american made and funded, I would imagine its them who used backdoors and listening posts to get it recorded.
Like the idiots they are, Pakis used Thuraya sat phones. Easiest thing in the whole world to intercept that communication using RAWs gulfstreams.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ArjunPandit wrote:Boeing in talks with navy to sell F-18
Nothing new in the article, just that they would like to have a bigger share of world's largest import market, evaluation yet to take place..orders should be combined..blah blah...
these mofos are worse than Shakespeare's shylock.

Always with their eyes on the main chance, looking for ways to dip into your pockets and snaffle your purse, and extract their pound of bloody Indian flesh.

Whereas the perfidious pakis are their own, people of the book, of the same abrahamic construct and so they get everything free. Including, continuous access to the amreki rear, which they have been taking with great pleasure for decades now.

we get offers for sale of the obsolete teens, at inflated prices, minus the engine tech, and of course, the ever present threat of amreki sanctions, if we step out of line.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

chetak wrote:

most of them are.
I remain ever in awe of him. Sometimes when I want to recount one of his stories my face lights up and I start and my wife looks at me with withering eyes and I stop.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

chetak wrote:

most of them are.
Pls check your pm
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:
chetak wrote:
most of them are.
Pls check your pm
Already did. Thanks

Please delete. I am unable to do so.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Done. Thanks sir.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Done. Thanks sir.
:oops:
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Theatre Level Exercise ENCORE concludes on the Eastern Seaboard

The Eastern Naval Command Operational Readiness Exercise (ENCORE), Theatre Level Readiness and Operational Exercise concluded on the Eastern Seaboard on 07 Feb 18.

The month long exercise saw participation of over 40 ships and submarines including those ships from the Western Naval Command, Andaman & Nicobar Command and Indian Coast Guard and assorted naval and IAF aircraft including Fighters, Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance (LRMP) aircraft,
Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) and
Air Early Warning (AEW),
Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopters.

The exercise was conducted in phases to test various facets of war-fighting capabilities of the combat units including Special Forces of ENC to respond to given threat situations. The Tactical Phase that saw intense action by both the opposing forces helping to validate operational war fighting concepts and provided valuable lessons to sharpen combat skills. The exercise was conducted in real time covering a vast expanse of Indian Ocean Region (IOR) notwithstanding the rough weather due to super cyclone Cebile in the Southern IOR.

ENCORE assumes great significance in the backdrop of current security scenario. The exercise provided an apt-opportunity to test the combat capability of the ENC and refine action plans and contingencies for operations in complex maritime conflict zone.

(Release ID :176350)
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Rear Admiral Sanjay Vatsayan, NM takes over as Assistant chief of Naval Staff (Policy & Planning)

His staff assignments include Joint Director of Personnel, Director of Personnel (Policy), Director Naval Plans (Perspective Planning) and Principal Director Naval Plans.
(Release ID :176255)
--------------------------------

Rear Admiral Rajaram Swaminathan, NM assumes charge as Assistant chief of Materiel (Mordernisation)

DKS/AC
(Release ID :176254)
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Mystery of 2nd line at MDL is clearer now. New line is for Shishumar class refit.

Six Indian Navy submarines to be upgraded
Indian firms tie up with Russian, German OEMs for the refit
MUMBAI, FEBRUARY 7

To make up for the shortfall in the number of ships and submarines, the Indian Navy has begun the process of upgrading six of its oldest submarines.

Four Sindhughosh-class (Russian Kilo) and two Shishumar-class (German HDW) submarines are to be engaged in ‘life extension and refit’ programmes, in a process that will significantly enhance their combat worthiness.

MRLC programme

At ₹1,000 crore per boat, INS Sindhukesari, INS Sindhuraj, INS Sindhuratna, INS Sindhughosh, INS Shishumar and INS Shankush have been identified for the Major Refit and Life Certification (MRLC) programme.

“The Navy has opted to upgrade its existing fleet,” said sources. “Time and cost overruns and controversies have delayed the induction of the six Scorpene submarines. By the time all the Scorpenes join the fleet, the oldest will have completed its tenure. The service life of a submarine typically varies between 25-30 years.”

Sources said most of the submarines have already done about 20 years or more and have gone through at least one life extension.

Complex process

Noting that all units of the Indian Navy follow a comprehensive operational-cum-refit cycle, sources said the MRLC programme, under which a submarine is refitted with the latest technology and naval systems, is an extremely time-consuming and technologically complex process. It normally takes about 24-27 months.

The military shipyard Zvyezdochka in Russia, part of United Shipbuilding Corporation, has undertaken repair work on the Sindhukesari, a diesel-electric submarine of the Indian Navy. Officials said that for the Sindhukesari, the MRLC contract was inked on October 14, 2015, at a cost of ₹1,197 crore. “The submarine is currently undergoing MRLC at Russia's Zvyezdochka shipyard and is expected to sail back to India this October after the refit, which will make it sturdy for another 10 years,” said sources.

The Russian shipyard, which specialises in the repair and scrapping of nuclear-powered submarines, had helped modernise five diesel-electric submarines of the Navy since 1997. Incidentally, the Sindhukesari was built in Russia as part of Project 877 EKM.

L&T partnership

Other submarines are also undergoing a similar refit process. For the Sindhuratna, the MRLC is to be undertaken at an Indian yard with assistance from Russia’s Zvyezdochka shipyard. In December 2015, the Russian shipyard had selected Larsen & Toubro as its Indian partner for undertaking the MRLC. Accordingly, L&T and the Russian OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) inked a contract for the transfer of Principal Refit Technology.

Similarly, the MRLC of Sindhuraj was also inked at a Russian shipyard last February for an estimated $207.3 million. The refit work commenced last July. Built by Russian shipbuilder Sevmash and commissioned into the Indian Navy in October 1987, Sindhuraj is in Russia for her second life extension refit and modernisation procedure.

Indian ventures

For Sindhughosh, an Indian shipyard with Russian OEM’s assistance is to carry out the refit in 2020.

Sources pointed out the MRLC of Shishumar is being planned to be undertaken at Mumbai's Mazagaon Dock with a German OEM. “Assistance will be provided by ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems of Germany. The company has submitted its budget in August 2016, and a RFP is likely to be issued soon,” sources said.

In the case of MRLC of Shankush, an Indian shipyard with OEM and assistance from Mazagaon Dock will be undertaken in 2020-2021.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Doesn't it make sense for MDL to do the refits of both U-boats? What will the private yard do afterwards after just one subrefit? With :L&T looking after Ru and other works for the IN , will leave it feeling abandoned.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

John wrote:
Cain Marko wrote: They are two separate hulls for sure.... In the one the mfstar antenna is hollow unlike the other.
They are separated by one year you don’t think in a one year they installed Mf Star covering in the mast.
:oops: missed the obvious...
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Inauguration of Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological Systems (IAAMS) At INS Garuda

Rear Admiral RJ Nadkarni, VSM, Chief of Staff, Headquarters, Southern Naval Command inaugurated the ‘Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological System (IAAMS)’ at INS Garuda on 09 February 2018.

INS Garuda is the fourth air station to have been installed with this integrated system. IAAMS is an ambitious project of the Indian Navy to modernise the Meteorological infrastructure of the nine Naval Air Stations. The IAAMS project at INS Garuda will give a major fillip to aviation safety through automation of weather monitoring process.

Equipped with the state of the art Meteorological Sensors viz., Radar Vertical Wind Profiler, Transmissometer, Ceilometer and Automatic Weather Observation System, IAAMS undertakes automatic and continuous recording of relevant weather parameters that are vital for accurate weather forecasting. It has a special alarm feature that alerts the duty staff about any abnormal change of weather parameters that may affect safe flying operations. The system can also provide automatic dissemination of routine weather reports of the air station as per World Meteorological Organization (WMO) standards to other Air Stations and to ATC tower without human intervention.

DKS/AC

Follow us on:
https:/www.facebook.com/IndianNavy
https://twitter.com/indiannavy
(Release ID :176420)