India-Canada, Mexico and South America: News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Re: India-Canada, Mexico and South America: News and Discussion

Post by Vips »

yensoy wrote:Image

"Vibrant Colours Encouraged" .... geez! :eek: :roll: The bureaucracy of Canada responsible for this trip must have been high on British Columbia's finest weed.
Note the malsic origin of the Ambassador of Canada to India.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

^^^^ He is from Gujarat, seems to be quite in touch with his heritage. I had this suspicion too but I think he checks out ok.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Prem wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Indians in India may have only a partial knowledge of Sikhs in Canada.
Just today a Sikh fellow was telling me that he wants to return to India to retire. He actually said that his problems disappear from the moment he sets foot in New Delhi.
Home is home. There is no place like home.
Both my parents who lived and worked in USA for 35 years returned back to Punjab after retirement.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Amber G. wrote:FWIW:
The invitations was a huge embarrassment to Canada and Mr Trudeau said he would take action against the person responsible for issuing the invitation to Jaspal Atwal ... Canadian parliamentarian Randeep Sarai has taken the blame and issued an apology.

Meanwhile even WP is noticing this:
Trudeau's India trip is a total disaster — and he has himself to blame
Its the second time I have seen this. The first was the BBC, ie

"Hours before meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, his journey hit a dead end when the Canadian high commissioner invited a Sikh extremist named Jaspal Atwal (who has been convicted of attempted murder and was previously affiliated with a terrorist group) to a dinner to honor Trudeau in Delhi. "

What a description of a CONVICTED TERRORIST!!

The BBC went a stage further, ie,

"alleged Sikh extremist "

despite his own CONFESSION and CONVICTION!!!
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... h89dL.html
With Canada PM Justin Trudeau by his side, PM Modi says no space for misuse of religion
With Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau by his side, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said there is no place for misuse of religion for political and divisive purposes, sending a clear message at a time Canada is perceived as having been soft on Khalistani separatists.

“Terrorism and extremism are threats to our democratic and pluralistic societies,” Modi told the media along with Trudeau following one-on-one and delegation-level talks between the two countries here.

“It is very important for us to come together to fight these forces,” he said. “There should be no space for those who misuse religion for political purposes and divisive politics.”

<snip>

Modi said the National Security Advisors (NSAs) of the two countries were giving finishing touches to the Framework for Cooperation and Countering Terrorism and Violent Extremism between the two countries.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Kashi wrote:I agree and this is what makes it puzzling to say the least. On one hand GoI goes out of its way to ensure that Canada gets the message with the relative indifference that this visit is treated with. On the other hand we refuse to put our foot down and allow a self-confessed terrorist to come into the country.

I think anyone will be hard-pressed to find a chankian explanation for this.
pankajs wrote:I can spin a chanikyan but I don't think this was that at all. Just slipped though.
This is the chanakiyan I was alluding to ... has been deployed by the Canadians back home to deflect the bad press.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sikh-ex ... -1.4548145
Rogue Indian political elements may be trying to make Canada look weak on Sikh extremism: source
A senior government official with knowledge of the prime minister's security protocols is suggesting rogue political elements in India may have orchestrated the embarrassing invitation of a would-be political assassin to a formal dinner with Justin Trudeau in an attempt to make the Canadian government appear sympathetic to Sikh extremism.
There is this man I believe, sometimes known as the Dove or the Devil, could have decided to let this man in once he came to know of the invite? to put the Canadians on the back foot just before the official meet. What did India have to loose except look a bit silly. But the timing and the strategic effect couldn't have been better!

BUT I don't believe that was the case. Canadians are clutching at straws.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Justin Trudeau really had to work hard to get his hugs!

New paradigm in diplomacy has been established!
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Modi had tweaked Trudeau enough that you would be hard pressed to find any of his favorite catch phrases in the joint presser. He looked a bit subdued too. Modi was gracious when he received the family and that act meets my approval.

But Trudeau left himself open to being tweaked by a smart politician. From start to finish Modi's was a controlled performance. Masterclass!
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Well ..well ... I was under the impression that the earlier linked report was an isolated case but now it seems to be spreading. Seems Kay-nada has realized what a hit it has taken around the world with that invite.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/presenc ... -1.3815958
Presence of attempted murderer on Trudeau's trip arranged by Indian government factions, official says

Bhai the guy was invited by YOUR government and his name was recommend by YOUR party MP. Is that so difficult to understand hanji?
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

yensoy wrote:^^^^ He is from Gujarat, seems to be quite in touch with his heritage. I had this suspicion too but I think he checks out ok.
Fact that he is born and brought up in Canada and given his background what do you think his natural inclination will be pro dharmic or pro separtists? This when he sees his pappu leader more then happy to mingle with the militants.

This was all done on purpose and had it been our Desi Pappu/Congress in power we would have seen a redux of the 1997 situation when visiting UK (shit) heads openly insulted India.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Before I had posted just going by the headline. Now that I have read it, need to post it in full with comments. Must read.

Seems the Canadian are truly stung with this last blowup that they are conjuring up an alternative reality. Why can't they accept it as a honest mistake and move on .... Oh .. I get it! Trudeau's *Liberal/progressive* brand has been badly damaged in India as well as all over the world for hobnobbing with a convicted terrorist! Indian GOI's will always have this stick to beat up Kya-nada and the Indian charge can no longer be dismissed as overworked imagination like in the past!
pankajs wrote:https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/presenc ... -1.3815958
Presence of attempted murderer on Trudeau's trip arranged by Indian government factions, official says
NEW DELHI -- A senior Canadian official with knowledge of security issues says Canadian authorities believe it was no accident that a man convicted of an attempted assassination was suddenly allowed into India and able to make his way onto the guest list for two receptions with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week.

The suggestion has been made that Jaspal Atwal's presence was arranged by factions within the Indian government who refuse to believe there is no risk posed to a united India by Sikh separatists living abroad, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The factions wanted to undermine the Canadian tour to India to prevent the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi from getting too cozy to foreign governments they believe want to undermine a united India, he said.

The official, speaking by phone to reporters travelling with Trudeau during a briefing arranged by the Prime Minister's Office, said Canadian security officials received a tip from intelligence sources within Canada on Wednesday morning that Atwal had been at a reception in Mumbai with the prime minister Tuesday evening.

Atwal was convicted in the 1980s of attempting to kill an Indian cabinet minister who was travelling in Canada.

Canadian officials looked into the matter as soon as they got the tip, and confirmed Atwal's identity and presence at the Mumbai reception. They also confirmed that he was on the guest list for an event with Trudeau at the High Commissioner's residence Thursday night in New Delhi.

The official said Atwal has, since his conviction, been on a list of people banned by India from getting a visa to visit the country because of their ties to Sikh separatist and extremist groups but that he was suddenly removed from that blacklist last summer -- long before Trudeau's trip was planned. {If proof was needed that it was not planned by India}

Canada played no part in getting Atwal off the blacklist or getting him a visa to visit India, said the official.

He was never part of the official delegation.

The official said Atwal poses no security risk and no longer has any known ties to extremist causes. His invitation was withdrawn, however, because of the diplomatic nightmare it posed to Trudeau, who has spent much of this trip trying to assure the Indian government that Canada does not support Sikh separatism and will do whatever it can to rout out extremist elements if there is any evidence they exist.

The official said it was "very interesting" to Canada that, after days of Trudeau and other cabinet ministers insisting the Canadian government supports a united India, this issue suddenly blew up. Many incorrect facts were fed to various media outlets to push the story, the official said.

The tip to some media that the RCMP in Surrey, B.C. knew about Atwal's invitation before the trip started and warned the prime minister's office is completely false, he said. The first anyone in the Canadian government heard about it was from intelligence sources the morning after the Mumbai reception, he added.

He said if the Surrey RCMP had received such a tip it would not have gone to the PMO but rather to RCMP headquarters, who would have dealt with the investigation.

The official said Atwal has close ties to some Indian diplomats in Vancouver, which may be the route he used to get off the blacklist, but said it is for the Indian government to explain how that happened.

There still remain many questions that the government hasn't answered, including how Liberal MP Randeep Sarai was involved and how it came to be that Sarai asked for Atwal to be added to the guest list at both events. {This is the crux. He was invited by THEIR OWN member}

After it was confirmed Atwal had been on the guest lists, Sarai issued a statement saying it was his choice and his alone to include Atwal, and that he realizes now he exercised poor judgement in doing so. Sarai has not been available for interviews to further explain how the invitations were issued.

The government official said guest lists for receptions such as those in India are not vetted individually for security. Those who issue the invites are expected to do their own due diligence to ensure their own guests are safe.

The official said Canada is not suggesting Atwal's presence was engineered by the official Indian government, but by certain people within it.

All of this comes amid a backdrop of meetings in New Delhi today between Trudeau and Modi, who finalized a framework agreement to work against terrorism and extremist elements. Modi said at a news conference with Trudeau this afternoon that both countries are at risk from those who would use religion to divide people.

There has been criticism both in India and Canada throughout the week in India that Modi was snubbing Trudeau because of concerns about Canada's tolerance level for Sikh separatists. The fact Modi sent a junior minister to the airport to greet Trudeau, and the lack of any public comment welcoming Trudeau until the evening before Trudeau's meetings with him were both used as evidence Modi was trying to make Trudeau sweat.

Modi greeted Trudeau at the presidential palace in Delhi with his signature bear hug. He was playful with Trudeau's children and expressed warmth and happiness about Trudeau's visit today.
To come up with such a bizzare coverup ... the Canadians are sweating for sure. Modi, with one controlled performance, has flipped the whole Indo-Canadian relationship I believe.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

pankajs wrote:
David Cochrane Verified account @CochraneCBC 4h4 hours ago

CBC News has confirmed that Liberal MP Randeep Sarai put Jaspar Atwal on the guest list for the reception with the PM and the High Commissioner.

https://www.cbc.ca/1.4545881
MP Randeep Sarai submitted Atwal's name to the High Commissioner to be added to the guest list for the dinner-reception. The Vancouver-born Sarai is one of 14 MPs travelling with Trudeau on his official visit.
David Cochrane‏Verified account @CochraneCBC

Further on this. MPs submit names to the High Commission so they can be invited to events. So a man convicted of attempting to assassinate an Indian cabinet minister was invited by a Canadian member of parliament.
mmm. sarai!! I have a colleague By name sarai is amrika, to be specific, land of polygamy. This guy is very pro AAP and had mentioned about his links to the sardarjis who hold high positions in kanada...

need to milk some info about khalistan connection next time.. :shock:
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

SBajwa wrote:Modi should just tell Canadian PM that Sikhs in Punjab do not want Khalistan and are very happy with their democratic rights. Sikhs in Canada want landlocked country called Khalistan in India and there is no guarantee that they will come back nor will send their children. The Khalistanis are basic 1-2% who are in charge of Gurudwaras (make money from their fierce speeches). Mr. Treadeau should go to Gurudwaras in Canada asking them to forget Punjab and be more Canadian.
Justin Turd should carve out some areas around vancouver and creat a khalistan between adjacent vancover. This, Kanada khalistan, will be better, as it will have access to sea
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Vips wrote:
yensoy wrote:^^^^ He is from Gujarat, seems to be quite in touch with his heritage. I had this suspicion too but I think he checks out ok.
Fact that he is born and brought up in Canada and given his background what do you think his natural inclination will be pro dharmic or pro separtists? This when he sees his pappu leader more then happy to mingle with the militants.
The invite was from Sarai as it has been established. Let's give this Patel guy a pass. He is probably a Bohra or Ismaili, both Shia sects I believe, not really the flag bearer of ill intent. He seems to be proud to be a Gujarati speaker, doesn't try to pass himself off as an Arab.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>The government official said guest lists for receptions such as those in India are not vetted individually for security.

This is incorrect, or incorrectly stated. Guest lists are shared well in advance, generally. The high commission has its responsibility of course to ensure security, but this is in New Delhi and they would have had to share the guest list with the Indian government too. In this particular case, Atwal would likely have been flagged but not prevented by GoI, as he was removed from the travel blacklist and is now allegedly no longer involved in anything. The question is why the Canadian government chose to have him there, under an invite from one of Turdeau's party MPs.

The article above seems to be suggesting that some some Indian government official manipulated a Canadian MP to get a recently blacklisted terrorist sympathiser on an invitation list to an event which both their prime ministers would be attending. To what end? Embarrass Turdeau? For what? To stop appointing Khalistanis to his cabinet or otherwise hobnobbing with them? Really seems a convoluted way to get that done. Turdeau has enough problems with Canadian voters themselves who are tired of his preening and posing, and not much else.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

Going by the press coverage I'm seeing here in Canada; the "spin" is definitely ongoing, but wobbly.

The press coverage is either cosmetic (the costumes and either over-wrought or ill-advised "gestures" and "demonstrations" of various kinds); or it's about the Khalistani invited to sup at the Embarassy.

I had to search, and search hard before I found mention of the practical bone of contention WRT "Khalistan" in between India-Canada ties.

It was on the Prime Minister's website, where I found first mention of terror financing; but in none of the newspaper articles I came across.

What was written-up about 'Countering Terrorism and Violent Extremism' could be read by the average Canadian to have the inverse origin-and-direction. REPEAT: If an un-informed Canadian were to "read-up" on "what's the big deal", he/she could come away with the false impression that Trudeau was demanding India take action on Terrorists -- rather than the inverse. Hoooman rights were also heavily emphasized (and women's rights, in the official press releases) -- not that I'm against these things; but the implication was clear: Canada gets to lecture India on these topics.

I watched the final 'Press Conference' that began with the exchanges of 6 sets of countersigned agreements. The first agreement wasn't named clearly; and I had to dig to discover it was the 'CT' one. Then came Modi's address, and I couldn't understand more than 8 words, because I don't speak Hindi. (Dad is a Mallu, though I never learned Malayalam either.)

For his part, Trudeau's speech, both the English and French parts of it, was all about trade promotion and how his efforts have created almost six thousand jobs in Canada, yada, yada, yada, 'Diversity is our Strength' yada, yada. As of this writing (on a Friday afternoon); the press seems largely willing to go with these three angles -- too much costumes, oopsie mistaken Khalistani, BUT "6,000 good middle class jobs in Canada" yada, yada.

I WOULD BE VERY, GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE *RELIABLE AND PRECISE* HERE COULD TRANSLATE (or otherwise paraphrase accurately) what PM Modi said in Hindi as Justin Trudeau stood at the podium next to him. In Hindi, I'm quite sure that he essentially 'called Trudeau onto the carpet'; but that did not come-out clear in the Canadian reportage from what I've seen as yet. (Canadians are preoccupied with the Olympics right now, and are in a sour mood after losses in Hockey and Curling. This makes these days an inherently risky time for any politician keen to avoid sticky $h1T flying toward their general direction. Extra mileage can still be attained on this topic

But it would help to have an English translation of Modi's Hindi remarks while standing next to Trudeau.
The video is on Youtube (and I think someone has posted it above, in this thread, also). Better yet, does the GoI publish official translations of Hindi speeches given by PM Modi? If so, please provide a direct link to the English translation and accept my great gratitude.

QUESTION FOR THE GURUS:

Is it possible that Trudeau was handed a folder of names of people sending money to support Khalistan?

The reason I ask is that the Banking sector in Canada is very tightly regulated, and the banks here have 'AML' departments that can quickly freeze funds and close accounts, etc. 'AML' is 'Anti-Money Laundering and additionally, there are already laws on our books against terror financing (which are applied selectively, it would seem).

Now is the time to push this point home. The translation would be helpful. The 'news cycle' here in Canada works on a weekly basis. While our southern neighours are known for their '24-hour news cycle', up here in Canada, we weigh things on a weekly basis. As such, what is written and read for weekend newspapers and the Sunday TV and radio shows, is what enters the consciousness.

Filing deadlines for Saturday papers are about 13 hours from now -- just sayin'..........
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

Appeasing any group wanting to take away more land from India is total and utter tripe.

All these people wanting independence for this or that state should be told that they are living in a fools paradise and the only choices are;

1.Pak/Islamic paradise
2.Cheen/commie paradise, with the most advanced face recognition AI on every corner
3.INDIA
pick wisely or go to hell.

Furthermore India should make it crystal clear there is land outstanding which will be taken back.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Nadir Patel, is not of purely Malsic Origin. Nadir Patel is a Canadian Bureaucrat . His mother is Parsi . His father is a Gujrati Muslim. He was previously Canada's Consular Gen in Shanghai, China. This posting is a promotion for him .
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Ravi K,

Here is a translation of PM Modi's remarks at the press conference.
I am happy to welcome PM Trudeau on his state visit to India. While it is his first tour of India, his father and former PM Pierre Trudeau had visited India previously in 1983. Mr PM, your visit was very timely. We are happy that you’ve brought your wife and children with you. We’re also happy that, prior to our meeting today, you have traveled to a number of Indian cities.

In 2015, my visit to Canada was the first by any Indian PM in 42 years. On that occasion, I visited Vancouver, Toronto, and Ottawa. I experienced the love and admiration of the Canadian people for India then. I trust that PM Trudeau also experienced the feelings of warmth and natural fellowship amongst Indians for Canada’s people. He will have witnessed the diversity of our nation and the vibrancy of our democracy.

Friends, India places very great importance on advancing our strategic partnership with Canada. Our common values are based on democracy, pluralism, respect for the rule-of-law, and close contact through history. From trade and commerce to energy, from science and innovation to education and skill-development, from the ocean to space, in every sector, there is potential for India and Canada to work together.
During today’s discussions, we analysed all these dimensions of our relationship, and considered many modalities of taking mutual cooperation forward.

First and foremost, we have agreed to correct (improve) cooperation in the field of security. Terrorism and extremism are dangers to pluralistic democracies like India and Canada. It is very important that we come together to confront such forces. For those who misuse appeals to communal identity to secure political objectives and for those who sow divisiveness, we must not accord any place. Those who challenge our countries’ sovereignty, unity, and integrity cannot be tolerated. PM Trudeau and I have agreed to cooperate in the fight against terrorism and extremism. Our NSAs have also had prior meetings, and have sinced finalized a paper on Countering Terrorism & Violent Extremism.

Friends, we have also analysed our economic relations. We have agreed that economic relations between India and Canada will be enhanced in depth. The rapid and robust economic progress and reforms of India offer abundant opportunities. The Canadian Pension fund has become a strong partner in India’s infrastructure development. It is necessary to set up an institutional mechanism to monitor (make more efficient) our burgeoning economic partnership. In this regard, we have instructed our officials to redouble their efforts towards finalizing the Bilateral Investment and Promotion Agreement, and Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement. Today, we will have the opportunity for discussion with CEOs from both nations.

Canada is an important higher-education destination for Indian students. Today there are more than 1,20,000 Indian students in Canada. The MOU on Higher Education, which we renewed today, makes it easier for students and teachers to move between the two countries. I have invited PM Trudeau to similarly extend mechanisms to allow for the ease of movement of skilled professionals. Through this, both of our countries will benefit, and trade and commerce with Canada will increase.

Our technological partnership offers great potential opportunities. Our scientists and researchers are uncovering new technologies and methodologies that will have profound impact on both India and Canada. Canada was a partner country in Technology Summit 2017. We have agreed to strengthen cooperation in information and communications technology.

Canada is an energy superpower that can fulfill our burgeoning energy needs. Today we have decided on a path forward to broaden our energy dialogue and secure the future of India’s energy sufficiency. The perseverance of our cooperation in the field of atomic energy is made possible by (Canada’s) reliable supply of uranium. Today, in our partnership, we are bringing the fields of nuclear science, technology, and innovation together.

Friends, my friend PM Trudeau and I shared our views on many regional and global issues. We discussed the situation in Afghanistan at length. It is clear that help will be needed the people and government of Afghanistan to overcome the menace of cross-border terrorism and lay the foundations for a secure, stable, prosperous and democratic Afghanistan. The free movement of seaborne traffic in the Indo Pacific, the dangers of North Korean nuclear proliferation, and the independence of democratic institutions in the Maldives are issues that we see eye-to-eye on. In the realm of international peacekeeping efforts, we have agreed to strengthen our cooperation with a view to building capacity in third countries.

Friends, people-to-people contact is a critical pillar of our strategic partnership. All Indians are proud of the Canada-resident Indian diaspora and its achievements. I am very happy to see that the PM has brought many companions belonging to this community along with him on his visit. We are committed to extending the bonds of friendship and fellowship with the Indian diaspora in Canada, and we hope that they will benefit along with us from the progress and development occurring in India.

Mr. Prime Minister, India and Canada have a natural partnership rooted in our common values. I hope for an even stronger partnership that leads to a brighter future for both our countries.

Thank you very much.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks very much, Rudradev!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Interesting Canada’s High Commissioner, which sent invitation to terrorists did bar Indian magazine Outlookindia from TrudeauInIndia dinner. Champions of freedom of speech indeed.

May be they did not like this cover ..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Someone has really captured - "Aamir Khan as #TrudeauInIndia"
<youtube link "sala mei to sahib ban gaya"
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

His write ups on the net are all neatly and hygienically sanitized.

No mention of origins or parentage or whatever. I appreciate privacy concerns but this guy is a public figure.

Seems to have gone out of his way to showcase his "diversity" but with a lot of meaningless fluff.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Falijee wrote:
Nadir Patel, is not of purely Malsic Origin. Nadir Patel is a Canadian Bureaucrat . His mother is Parsi . His father is a Gujrati Muslim. He was previously Canada's Consular Gen in Shanghai, China. This posting is a promotion for him .
so what is he finally??

a "janaeu dhari brahmin" like our pappu?? and a shiv bakth??
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

chetak wrote:so what is he finally??

a "janaeu dhari brahmin" like our pappu?? and a shiv bakth??
I would say it depends on the place and time- just like Rajiv Gandhi would be a Parsi one day and a janaeu-dhaari brahman on another, depending on where he was visiting and whom he was talking to.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Canadian Pappu shown his place by Narendra Modi.
India and Canada pulled the visit by Justin Trudeau back from the brink Friday by issuing one of the most strongly worded joint statement on terrorism in recent times. Titled Framework for Cooperation between India and Canada on Countering Terrorism and Violent Extremism, the joint document did not just call for action specifically against cross-border and state sponsored terrorism but also name-checked Pakistan based groups like LeT and Jaish.

Perhaps even more significant for India was the mention of Babbar Khalsa and International Sikh Youth Federation (ISYF) which were clubbed together with not just LeT, Jaish but also other more high-profile international terror groups like Al Qaida, ISIS and the Haqqani Network in the same statement. This is the first time that Canada has agreed to a mention of Sikh terror groups in a joint document with India.

The mention of cross-border terrorism is significant also because the leaders of some of the banned Sikh groups like Babbar Khalsa and ISYF are said to be living in Pakistan. ISYF leader Lakhbir Singh Rode is among the Sikh militants said to be living in Lahore.
and ofcourse India will extract its pound of flesh ----- Uranium
In a separate joint statement, the two countries focused on other areas of cooperation including civil nuclear energy. The leaders welcomed the continuation of uranium exports from Canada for peaceful use of civil nuclear power. "The leaders agreed to expand the ongoing mutually-beneficial civil nuclear cooperation by developing collaboration in nuclear science and technology. They welcomed the signing of an Agreement between the Department of Atomic Energy and the Department of Natural Resources Canada," said the statement.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sharing..amusing but has a point!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

But I do like the insight shown here..
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

^^India should now also hold Canada accountable if the Pakistan based Sikh Terrorists travel to Canada (even under different identity) or if they do not take action against Canadian Sikhs (Khalistani sympathizers or otherwise) who meet these terrorists in pakistan especially during the annual festivals at Nankana sahib.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Amber G. wrote:But I do like the insight shown here..
Simply Super.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... india.html
Conservatives want committee meeting on security screening over invitation error in India
The official also suggested Atwal’s presence was engineered by elements within the Indian government to distance the country from Ottawa, driven by concerns that Canada is not fully committed to a united India.

A former senior Conservative government official dismissed that theory.

That is complete nonsense,” said Garry Keller, who served as chief of staff to interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose.

How exactly Atwal got to India — given his criminal history — is a legitimate question, Keller said.

“And that’s a valid question for the Indians to consider themselves. But the Indians didn’t have control over the guest list at the event. That was ultimately a decision of the Prime Minister’s Office.
Exactly.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

FWIW ...

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... s-5076014/
Jaspal Atwal reformed, off blacklist, engaging with govt for 3 years, say sources
“Atwal is one of about 200 such individuals with whom the government has been engaging in the last three years. He got a visa to visit India, as part of the process, like many others. He was given a visa since he was found to have been reformed, and therefore has been taken off the blacklist last year,” a source said. These individuals are spread across the world, and are mainly in Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States, among others, sources said.

“We have been getting representation from these individuals and their families, who have expressed remorse over their actions. Their activities in recent years had squared up with their claims of giving up any separatist or extremist activities. This was verified by our intelligence agencies, along with security agencies in these countries, like the UK, the US, Canada and other places,” a source in the government said. “They were taken off the blacklist only after due process and have been allowed to visit India in the last few years.” Invitation to Atwal, a convicted Khalistani terrorist, to a dinner in honour of Trudeau was rescinded on Thursday following a controversy after he was seen with the visiting Prime Minister’s wife and a Cabinet minister from Canada.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kzg ... n-his-face
Justin Trudeau's Celebrity Schtick Has Finally Blown Up in His Face
In light of just how poorly this whole thing went, it might be a good time to consider whether Trudeau has flown too close to the sun on the wings of his own celebrity star-power. The prime minister has a bad habit of being glib and aloof, which is charming the first time you see it on the campaign hustings against Stephen “I do math homework for fun” Harper or when it’s played on the news alongside Donald Trump’s latest musings about America’s ideal guns-to-child-murder ratio. But even a good schtick gets old if that’s all you’ve got, and not everything plays to the same audience. This would be good to keep in mind when you take your show on the road to a place like India, a single state trying to balance the collective demands of one-sixth of the world’s population. They could give a shit about Justin Trudeau—and that was before his string of international incidents.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 078_1.html
Trudeau gets India's promise on quarantine arrangement for Canadian pulses
A promise by the Indian government on easing of quarantine rules for import of pulses from Canada might be the best policy achievement for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after his week's trip to this country.

On Friday, both sides committed to 'finalise an arrangement within 2018 to enable the export of Canadian pulses to India, free from pests of quarantine importance, with mutually acceptable technological protocols', according to the statement issued after Trudeau met counterpart, Narendra Modi. Food safety regulators of both nations would work closely in this regard, it said.

India is the world's largest producer, processor, importer and consumer of pulses; its production has risen over recent years, affecting major shippers such as Canada. And, Delhi has continued to demand that pulses from the nation be fumigated with methyl bromide; Canada doesn't permit chemical fumigation agents.

<snip>

Export from India to Canada is broad-based; no commodity constitutes more than eight per cent of all outbound trade. Medicines, shrimp and prawn, and jewellery are the major export items from India.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/zDYqpj ... udeau.html
Given this acrimonious history, Trudeau didn’t include the Punjab chief minister in his schedule—Trudeau is due in Amritsar on Wednesday—two people familiar with the development said. The Canadian leader, mindful of the large Sikh immigrant population in his country, was conscious of the symbolism of a visit to the Golden Temple.

That’s when India’s foreign ministry stepped in, said the same two people cited above, requesting anonymity.

In unambiguous terms it told their Canadian counterparts that if Trudeau skipped the mandatory meeting with the CM, then India would withdraw permission for the PM to travel to Punjab.

“The visiting prime minister could choose to visit other states of India but not Punjab if he does not want to meet the chief minister, was the gist of what was conveyed,” one of them said.
For once, I'm glad of our babus.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Seriously, "progressive trade" indeed.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/ ... heres-why/
One potential challenge added by the Liberals is its championing of “progressive trade,” with the government seeking to include accords on gender, the environment, labour and human rights in preliminary talks with China and treaties like the Trans Pacific Partnership. “We focused on the commercial benefits of [trade] agreements, whereas the Trudeau government sees [them] as promoting the prime minister’s own value agenda,” Conservative Fast claims. “And that has run into significant opposition elsewhere around the world.”

These topics are now also part of the CEPA negotiations with India, sources confirm.
Seriously, why did we even allow this buffoon to visit our country ?
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Vips wrote:^^India should now also hold Canada accountable if the Pakistan based Sikh Terrorists travel to Canada (even under different identity) or if they do not take action against Canadian Sikhs (Khalistani sympathizers or otherwise) who meet these terrorists in pakistan especially during the annual festivals at Nankana sahib.
Can we not put Canada on terror watch list? I.e we should prepare such list because they prepare human rights violation list put China on top in India terror watch list for actively abetting Pakistan filled by white pakis. This bill should be passed in the parliament.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Why is there no such bill/list/or whatever for Bakistan? Shoudn't Bakistan be accorded such privileges before Canada?

What about China and America or United Kingdom before Canada? How about Saudi Arabia i.e. effectively all the GCC countries? How about Bangladesh and Nepal? Can you see where that will end?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4044543/davi ... al-bungle/
ANALYSIS: How Justin Trudeau’s India trip went from bad to ‘Bengal Bungle’

Prime Minister Trudeau's India trip is his first foreign trip that's generated negative international headlines. And with the opposition ready to pounce next week, Liberal insiders tell Chief Political Correspondent David Akin they're frustrated and they'll want a full accounting of what happened.
Had it just been the snickering from the usual suspects about his clothes, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau likely would have ended his week in India with little political damage and possibly even a bump in popularity in Canada’s large Indian diaspora.

But some bad press turned worse, much worse, when it emerged that a man convicted of what a Canadian judge called “an act of terrorism” — an attempt in 1986 to assassinate an Indian politician visiting Vancouver Island — showed up at a Trudeau event in Mumbai, invited there by a B.C. Liberal MP.

And then “worse” turned to “farce” when the PMO, in frantic damage control, trotted out one of the most senior members of the civil service, someone who is one of the handful of bureaucrats privy to literally all the secrets of our national security agencies.

After insisting that any journalist who wanted to listen to what this individual had to say could not name this person, the government tasked the bureaucrat with peddling what must be one of the most bizarre conspiracy theories ever advanced by a Canadian government: That Jaspal Atwal, the terrorist invited by the Liberals to Mumbai, may have been planted there by the Indian government or maybe by Indian security agencies or perhaps by factions in the Indian government. Whatever that means.

In other words, it was the Indian government who had successfully set out to make their guest, the Canadian prime minister, look like a fool when it came to his position on Sikh extremism.

And this was the spin Trudeau’s government was offering up while Trudeau himself was still in India, hours before he was to meet Narendra Modi, the prime minister of the government that Canada’s “senior government official” thinks was trying to show up Canada’s PM.

This individual, in describing the theory, couched every possibility with words like “maybe” and “possibly,” yet offered no proof or evidence of any allegation and did all of this from behind the cloak of anonymity.

Global News, like most other news organizations accredited to Parliament Hill, knows who this individual is that made these allegations, and it is only out of respect for the position this individual holds that one is forced to at least take the allegation seriously if only for long enough to dismiss it as folly.

Because, among other things, in order to have this theory work — to accept the idea that some third party in India arranged Atwal to be present at the PM’s Mumbai event — one has to accept the idea that Randeep Sarai, the member of Parliament for Surrey Centre, was in on the scam.

Sarai has refused to answer questions about his role in this affair but we do know that Atwal was on the invitation list for two Mumbai events at Sarai’s request. So, to come back to our conspiracy theory, Indian agents looking to show up Trudeau had to somehow convince Sarai to be their willing stooge and issue the invitations to Atwal.

Secondly, we must believe that Sarai happily took it upon himself to recommend Atwal for an invitation with no clue about his background, despite articles in the Vancouver Sun as recently as 2012 about Atwal’s criminal connections and Liberal background — articles that forced other Liberals to resign their positions with local constituency associations.

That Sarai, a lawyer and real estate developer, who described himself prior to his election as active in electoral politics “at all levels” and who was called upon by local media outlets in Surrey to talk about regional politics, did not ever run into Atwal is impossible to accept.

And in any event, what would India have possibly gained using Atwal to embarrass Trudeau?

Stephanie Carvin, a national security analyst and professor at Carleton University, argued on Twitter that a bad state visit for Trudeau does India just as much harm as it might do to Canada’s prime minister.

<snip>

No means, no motive. Sorry, but our “senior government official” should have simply explained what role Canadian national security agencies had in vetting Atwal prior to his attendance at the Mumbai events. (The answer was: None.)

And so, there was Trudeau, in his final press conference of the week in New Delhi, hours after meeting Modi, taking questions about why he believes his hosts tried to make him look bad.

It’s hard to imagine a bigger Bengal bungle
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

manju wrote:
mmm. sarai!! I have a colleague By name sarai is amrika, to be specific, land of polygamy. This guy is very pro AAP and had mentioned about his links to the sardarjis who hold high positions in kanada...

need to milk some info about khalistan connection next time.. :shock:
I know one in UQ and he too is hardcore Aaptard.