Kaveri & Aero-Engine: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Re: Kaveri & aero-engine discussion

Post by JayS »

Avarachan wrote:Over the years, I have learned not to under-estimate India's national-security establishment. I wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

What is curious about the Kaveri project is that certain projects have received the necessary funding for the enabling infrastructure to be built (IGMDP, Arihant program). But the Kaveri project has not. All this talk of success and failure has to be seen in that context. I don't think any of us know what's really going on.
Exactly. But one thing is for sure, funding is not flowing, even under new government. Why is the question.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Haridas wrote:
ramana wrote:GTRE should have had N^3 and Vina as program consultants.
And they would have achieved it by now.
I heard that Mangolia does not allow their Yaak herders alternative profession ;)
Use Nagpash.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ramana wrote:Avtar, I say there are two ways of looking at problems: strategic and tactical.
Strategic is also called global and looks at many factors that could be used to tackle the problem.
Tactical or military looks at the immediate root cause and tries to fix that.

And the big lapse is to mistake one for the other and use the wrong solution.

Kaveri despite all the global/strategic factors is really a tactical problem.

It does not develop the required dry thrust.

You fix that and you have a winner.
We have narrowed it down to the core.
Now what exactly in the core is being explored.
Actually Kaveri does produce dry thrust with only 2-3% of short-fall from design goal (52kN vs 54kN or 49kN vs 52kN something like that). Where it falls short it wet thrust.

That is if we believe accounts from various official and reported accounts. Unless you know something from chaiwalla that I am not aware of.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Losing bluetooth signal here.. and thread on bpr
In any case, the foreign partner was more interested in a much larger project that would have seen the creation of a new core for the Kaveri design for 90 KN plus wet thrust. That project however is also not seeing light of day because GTRE is probably seen as a failure lab. https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/965872249520775173
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Mango Question: Have we tested it for a long duration under dry thrust. If it is ok for dry thrust then we can use it for our UCAV?

Thanks in advance.

End Mango post.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Yagnasri wrote:Mango Question: Have we tested it for a long duration under dry thrust. If it is ok for dry thrust then we can use it for our UCAV?

Thanks in advance.

End Mango post.
Only available info is that more than 3000hrs of ground testing is done. Its anyone's guess how much of it is at full thrust. But its likely that they have run 150-hr endurance test. And since it appears than dry thrust is quite alright, Ghatak has got a go-ahead with AB-less Kaveri as power-plant.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

thank you guruji.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

maitya wrote:Ok, so here it is ... a simplistic (yes, I must admit almost embarrassingly simplistic) side-by-side comparison of this so-called Kaver-with-M88-core, original Kaveri and “paper-injin” called “Improved Kaveri”.
(and no I can’t use Ganga, as it is copyrighted by Vinaji).

One observation, the sfc value in the above excel for Kaveri-prime is bit on higher side than the claimed figure of 0.78kg/kN-h.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Indranil wrote:We can start with the dry thrust, SFC, TWR, max obtainable pressure ratio of Kaveri with the original M88 core. Is it ideal? If not, how has the core to resized (obviously up), but by how much?

JayS, See above post from Indranil.

Looks like we have a difference about the dry thrust.

My beef about GTRE is their total opaqueness and report only to dead hand or live fist in hushed whispers of good news around the corner for the last three decades.
Tejas succeeded due to the ADA transparency so everyone knew where they were and got support.
When even Saurav Jha writes about lack of trust in GTRE its something for he is an open Indian defence products endorser.

Trust is built on three Cs: Communication, Character, and Capability

Communication is further components:
- Trust in "Listening to Learn"
- Trust in understanding (purposes, concerns, and circumstances)
- Trust in judgment
- Are commitments accurate? (Clear, specific promises and requests)
- Are commitments authentic? (based on shared purpose)

Character components:
- Follow through in commitments?
- Honest about results?
- Reward integrity?
- Address poor performance quickly, accurately, and authentically?

Capability components:
- Are skills and experience trusted?
- Trust to involve others appropriately when personal capability is insufficient?
- Do you communicate breakdowns in your ability to perform ASAP?

Each of these 12 can be put in a table and assessed as STRONG, WEAK, ON TRACK

I had given this to Saik long back for his use.

Now where would GTRE score?
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

No problem, I am not criticizing anyone. I am sure it will all work out.
Since waiting for LCA to fly over the 90s, I watch this page most closely....
Waiting for that jet engine.

As we all know this tech surpasses all others only a few can do it.
West has been practising since WW2!!
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

You dont chnage core to match LP system. Its the other way round. M88 core will not take up anything more than what its designed for today, without quite a bit of rework, may be a decade long work. If it has to be fitted into Kaveri, then Kaveri's existing LP system has to be modified to match it. Still it cant be done in 2yrs unless the LP was always quite match-able to M88 core.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

ramana wrote:My beef about GTRE is their total opaqueness and report only to dead hand or live fist in hushed whispers of good news around the corner for the last three decades.
All strategic programs in India are protected with multiple layers of disinformation. The reason certain information was released about the Agni tests, for instance, is that it was not possible to conceal that information. However, if it is possible to conceal and dissemble as to where a program will be at a certain point in time, that should be done. Those who need to be informed as to the truth, will be. Those who do not (which I imagine includes all of us on BRF) will not.

For all we know, the primary purpose of the Kaveri program could have been to create a reliable (if heavy) core which could be used in stealthy subsonic aircraft (like the Ghatak or the F-117). If that was the real goal, perhaps the Kaveri project will be remembered as a great success. I'm aware of the stated goals of the Kaveri project. Nonetheless, I've learned over the years that when it comes to strategic programs, the stated goals are often not the actual goals. For one thing, the funding of the Kaveri program does not align with any credible analysis of the stated goals. That makes me wonder if something else is going on.

As JayS said above, as of now, we BRF members simply do not have enough information to know in detail what's actually happening.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

maitya wrote:Ok, so here it is ... a simplistic (yes, I must admit almost embarrassingly simplistic) side-by-side comparison of this so-called Kaver-with-M88-core, original Kaveri and “paper-injin” called “Improved Kaveri”.

Interestingly current Kaveri shows better propulsive efficiency compared to the Kaveri-with-M88-core which has higher BPR...!!

Also interesting to see the jump in thermal efficiency from current Kaveri to improved kaveri. From 0.43 to 0.6. Much higher than one would expect from the relatively small increase in Pr and TIT that we have here.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

So is this a possibilty for AMCA, what would be the weight of the improved Kaveri K9, can 2 improved Kaveri with combined dry thrust of 146Kn, power an empty weight AMCA weighing about 8 tonnes with 3.5 tonnes of fuel and 1.6 tonnes for 4 aam's and 2 bombs in internal bay still supercruise?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Aditya_V wrote:So is this a possibilty for AMCA, what would be the weight of the improved Kaveri K9, can 2 improved Kaveri with combined dry thrust of 146Kn, power an empty weight AMCA weighing about 8 tonnes with 3.5 tonnes of fuel and 1.6 tonnes for 4 aam's and 2 bombs in internal bay still supercruise?
There are three possible answers - No, Yes, Maybe. Pick your choice. Your guess is as good as anyone else's at this stage.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Aditya_V wrote:So is this a possibilty for AMCA, what would be the weight of the improved Kaveri K9, can 2 improved Kaveri with combined dry thrust of 146Kn, power an empty weight AMCA weighing about 8 tonnes with 3.5 tonnes of fuel and 1.6 tonnes for 4 aam's and 2 bombs in internal bay still supercruise?
By when?

2030? More than likely, yes. Although 146 kN seems high. 130-135 kN .............more than likely.

No matter what, which ever version of the Kaveri, she has a very long way to go. Tests, certifications, productization, then scaling up, while maintaining quality and cost. Engines are engines, they are finicky, temperamental, unpredictable, ............... I would rather wait till one actually comes out as a product as opposed to a lab article.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Avarachan wrote:Over the years, I have learned not to under-estimate India's national-security establishment. I wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

What is curious about the Kaveri project is that certain projects have received the necessary funding for the enabling infrastructure to be built (IGMDP, Arihant program). But the Kaveri project has not. All this talk of success and failure has to be seen in that context. I don't think any of us know what's really going on.
Yes, people who understand importance of Missiles, Nuclear Submarines, would understand importance of desi engines too. In another three four years from now, Kaveri would have been under development for almost three decades. Given all the news around failure, failure lab etc., external help, I am inclined to speculate that the engine is closure to its redone goals. If you want to hide something, call it a failure.
maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by maitya »

JayS wrote:

One observation, the sfc value in the above excel for Kaveri-prime is bit on higher side than the claimed figure of 0.78kg/kN-h.
JayS and others ... pls note do NOT use the absolute numbers mentioned in the above model to compare with published parameters/ratings of a working/in-dev injin etc.

This model is a simplistic (overly simplistic, as I've mentioned above and multiple times in past 3-4 years) presentation of various technical aspects of a turbofan ... some very very atrocious assumptions (e.g. no mention or usage of isentropic efficiency anywhere etc) have been made to keep it as simple as possible and aid in a discussion forum like this.

What this model can be used to, is to put in various parameters and then compare the output parameters within this model - not with outside figures/results.

As an example, the SFC value of 0.92 can be compared with 1.92 and 0.82 ... but not with 0.78kg/kN-h etc as has been published by various other more authentic sources.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

maitya wrote:
JayS wrote:
JayS and others ... pls note do NOT use the absolute numbers mentioned in the above model to compare with published parameters/ratings of a working/in-dev injin etc.

This model is a simplistic (overly simplistic, as I've mentioned above and multiple times in past 3-4 years) presentation of various technical aspects of a turbofan ... some very very atrocious assumptions (e.g. no mention or usage of isentropic efficiency anywhere etc) have been made to keep it as simple as possible and aid in a discussion forum like this.

What this model can be used to, is to put in various parameters and then compare the output parameters within this model - not with outside figures/results.

As an example, the SFC value of 0.92 can be compared with 1.92 and 0.82 ... but not with 0.78kg/kN-h etc as has been published by various other more authentic sources.
Within the model's limits, what does SFC number comparison signifies..? We have Kaveri at 1.19 and M88 at 0.82 in their existing configs as per the model. That seems like a lot of difference. But in reality both the engines have exactly the same dry SFC of 0.78lb/lb-hr as per respective official numbers.

On an unrelated note, the comparison of Kaveri and M88's official numbers is interesting. While both have about the same dry thrust, the wet thrust for M88 is 71kN vs targeted 84kN of Kaveri. (As per some accounts Kaveri was able to demonstrate 72kN wet thrust in flight). That explains significantly higher wet SFC for Kaveri as compared to that of M88.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

So with all this charcha about kaveri, m88 and what not, can we expect some lungi dance news about Rafale and kaveri when macaroni is served in March?

Last I remember, the French were damn confident of fixing the kaveri with m88 core in very short order...2017-18. I had also surmised that this was a must for the French to get more Rafale orders. Are we on track for French Champagne?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Posted by BRF Member nvishal

-----------------------------------

The Indian fighting aircraft Tejas soon powered by the M88 engine Rafale?
According to our information, the negotiations between Safran and DRDO are on track to power the LCA with the M88 as part of the Kaveri program.

The new France-Indian partnership could be the subject of an announcement during Emmanuel Macron's trip to India on March 10th
https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-fi ... 69696.html

Article is in French. Used google translate

May be true. May also be plain gossip
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Posted by BRF member pralay

-----------------------------------------------
nvishal wrote:https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-fi ... 69696.html

Article is in French. Used google translate

May be true. May also be plain gossip
That meant m88-Kaveri not plain vanila m88
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

The most interesting piece from the above article is this sentence ---> "They could soon succeed and this new Franco-Indian partnership could be the subject of an announcement during Emmanuel Macron's trip to India on March 10th."

Is it going to be a vanilla announcement or something bigger, we can only know on March 10th.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

If the French are investing 1 Bn of their own money think there is something bigger in the pipeline. Probably a joint development of an engine for the AMCA.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Posted by BRF Member Will
—————————

Wonder how true this is. There is certainly something going on with safran and rolls Royce on the engine front.

http://idrw.org/french-media-m88-kaveri ... ore-163465
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Cain Marko wrote:Are we on track for French Champagne?
I would hold off on uncorking the champagne. Let’s see what President Macron has to say on March 10th.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

France knows it has to offer something huge or desperately required by India for it to have any chance of securing more business.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Will wrote:If the French are investing 1 Bn of their own money think there is something bigger in the pipeline. Probably a joint development of an engine for the AMCA.
Its the offset money.

They are supposed to channel it back.

If it happens will be happy.

The M88Core-Kaveri has turbo fan+ engine casing and afterburner section and M88 core.
We know the M88 core is smaller than the Kaveri casing from earlier reports.

I think there are two options here.

1) Increase the M88 core diameter to match the Kaveri system. This means keep the rest of the (TCA) T/F+ Casing+ AB same.
- This option is risky as changing core to match the TCA could be tricky.
- However GTRE will learn the most from this option as they learn to resize the core.

2) Keep the M 88 core as it works and redo the TCA as GTRE knows how.
- Could be long drawn out process as three systems have to be developed: T/F+ Casing + AB And more costly from Indian side. Kind of defeats the offsets as India gets to spend twice.
- GTRE wont learn anything new as they already had developed the TCA. Redoing the TCA is not new technology.

I would choose option 1 as from India learning point of view this is better option.

And this way India has its own Kabini + core that can be leveraged into other engines;
Mig 29 and Su 30 engine replacement programs eventually.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

I think we will learn something by looking at the M88 core and how it is incorporated into the Kaveri’s intake, exhaust, case, etc. Obviously, the key to all this is the material going into the French engine and that os something they will keep secret but hopefully we can gain some insight.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

M88 is an old 1980s core so its technology won't be exotic.

But resizing the M-88 to fit the Kaveri TCA will improve the GTRE expertise.

The sad thing is that GTRE never even got more than $300M for total Kaveri development and here Safran will be bring in 1.2 B Euros of our own money.

Thanks to the morons in MFA and MOD who won't bat for requisite funds.

And no champions for it in the IAF.

This is deadly combination that will ensure India gets defeated.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

This news about Safran being very close to signing a deal with DRDO to develop the Kaveri-M-88 hybrid is apparently true. Got that confirmation from a French source. We'll find out soon enough as to what is being planned.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Kartik wrote:This news about Safran being very close to signing a deal with DRDO to develop the Kaveri-M-88 hybrid is apparently true. Got that confirmation from a French source. We'll find out soon enough as to what is being planned.
Admiral jee, mithai to banteen hain aaab!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Mithai and Champagne bottle waiting.... :)
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

It will be a momentous occasion if that happens. Safran apparently still doesn't want to openly talk about it, perhaps because there's many a slip between the cup and the lip..so we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed till President Macron arrives.

I don't care too much about the finer details of what exactly is the technology support we get or what the French decide is too strategic to part with. As things stand, the Kaveri engine program was at risk of being completely abandoned and with it, decades of work. If this JV goes through, the chances of an indigenous turbofan engine powering an indigenous fighter will increase exponentially. And that, in the long run, is what matters the most.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

+108 Kartik! That is all that matters at the end of the day.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

+108!!!!
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Like Samosa
SeinKaveri Ki Jorri: Addhi Terri Addhi Merri !
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Viking to Vikas, M88->Kaveri
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Rakesh wrote:Mithai and Champagne bottle waiting.... :)
Arrey saar jingoes been waiting for famous unobtanium mithai for so long....Ab champagne ke sapno pey latkaogey kya. You must've for sure been part of the MOD in a past life, saarey BR vasiyon ko latka Ke rakha Hai aur ab naye rfi (champagne) ki baat chala Rahe ho.... :D
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

I am picking up my dabba of mithai and bottle too soon!