Kaveri & Aero-Engine: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
habal
BRF Oldie

Re: Kaveri & aero-engine discussion

Post by habal »

So basically we (gtre) already have developed an engine core which is of the level of RD-33, only AB and LP need time to make improvements and productionize.

kabini core can be enveloped by M88 LP + AB to give 90 KN (optimistic) wet thrust while M88 core + safran:gtre JV improved AB+LP+shell give 120 KN thrust engine for pv4 rafale, & Su-30 application. This much is the gist of affairs so far isn't it.

Time taken to productionize will also be as long as time taken to develop the kabini core as chinese are experiencing currently.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

JayS wrote:
Madhu, just to avoid misinterpretation, please confirm whether following points are correct or not, based on your recent interaction. Just a final check for me to store the broad points in my mind as correct. I will soon forget details.
yes you are correct.
JayS wrote: 3. One key issue with LPC was blade flutter which is resolved now.
for the current engine it was solved. but he told, he is not confident of the fixes they have done. might croup again for new engine.

the big prob we have is
a) funding and political will to push jet technology. more over Jet technology is more than rocket science.
b) we do not have region specific certification standard. we have copied best from all the standards and may be over killing the program.
c) unlike ISRO , GTRE went ahead in developing its technology on its own with out giving it to private and managing most of them. this has consumed lot of man power.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Very insightful lessons learned.
Our pranams to him and his crew.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ramana wrote:
JayS wrote:
Neither, if I understand correctly.

SAFRAN is planning a new Engine with the M-88 core and the TCA periphery will be designed around it.
What does TCA stands for ramana sir..?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

madhu wrote:
JayS wrote:
Madhu, just to avoid misinterpretation, please confirm whether following points are correct or not, based on your recent interaction. Just a final check for me to store the broad points in my mind as correct. I will soon forget details.
yes you are correct.
JayS wrote: 3. One key issue with LPC was blade flutter which is resolved now.
for the current engine it was solved. but he told, he is not confident of the fixes they have done. might croup again for new engine.

the big prob we have is
a) funding and political will to push jet technology. more over Jet technology is more than rocket science.
b) we do not have region specific certification standard. we have copied best from all the standards and may be over killing the program.
c) unlike ISRO , GTRE went ahead in developing its technology on its own with out giving it to private and managing most of them. this has consumed lot of man power.
Thanks a lot Madhu.

If proper lessons are taken and are imbibed in the design philosophy the probability of cropping up again in next design would remain low. I am sure it must have been done.

I am sure everyone will agree to those three points you make. I have been of the opinion that nothing short of declaring it a National Mission (and treating it as such) would expedite the jet technology development.

Regarding private industry participation, we must keep in mind a fact that while ISRO received perhaps 100x more funding than GTRE and did a huge industrial work and has far better push and autonomy direct from PMO, GTRE has received pittance, produced mere handful of engines and until recently Indian industry was incapable of even producing a half decent 2 wheeler engine. There was never a chance to give out any work to private industry. No one would have been able to sustain working with GTRE unless the involvement was a pet project running on sidelines for them.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

It’s time India invested in full fledged testing facilities for jet engines rather than being dependent on countries like Russia for the same. Hope the JV’s include a flying testbed in India with the associated ground facilities.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

TCA= Turbofan, Chamber and Afterburner.
Everything except Core.

I made that up a few pages ago so don't have type those three sub assemblies.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Cybaru, Ramana-ji, JayS, Indranil, Haridas-ji and others: Now check this (not the tweet, but the images especially the specifications...the last para in particular). Safran used the offset money to increase the core, which they could not do until the Rafale deal with India came along. This has multiple benefits for Safran, but similar benefits exist for India's Rafales, Tejas and possibly even the MiG-29K can be powered by this one engine. This is what Kaveri88 will be. My guess is that Safran will announce this (Kaveri88) - via President Macron's announcement - and a next venture (Kaveri200 - for the AMCA and possibly Su-30MKI as well). € 1 Billion well spent!!!! :)

https://twitter.com/Sootradhar/status/9 ... 4009163777 ---> Dassault Rafale Deal = Offset Clause starts showing results. Modi Sarkar had forced the French to the offset clause, result French agreed to invest € 1 Billion back into India. They zeroed on our Kaveri Engine project.

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I don't find anything new in this except a political plug of how the govts. decision is bearing fruit.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

IR: I was very interested to know the the M88 core had growth potential till 105 kN. That is something I never knew. The Kaveri - if I am not mistaken - is supposed to be a 90 kN engine.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

No. The core dia got increased to match the Kaveri requirement.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

That's good to hear that the m-88 core has potential for LCA Mk-2 (105KN seems pretty good!). It can power the LCA mk1/1a/2/Rafale versions and perhaps even the Mig29K version if we ever manage to replace those smoky engines and make the 29K more reliable for the navy.

But if they really want to power AMCA, they may have to develop somewhere around 115-130 KN engines for it. What's the growth potential of the Kabini core? Isn't there a parallel project with RR on erj200 according to one report? That has potential to power AMCA and retrofit MKI engines. The growth potential in those engines is rather large and it has a working 3d nozzle (78KN/125KN).

This is better than the useless TOT that we have been signing. Order another 36-54 raffies with new made in India engines. Let em make the plane in France and put new engines in India.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Rakesh wrote:IR: I was very interested to know the the M88 core had growth potential till 105 kN. That is something I never knew. The Kaveri - if I am not mistaken - is supposed to be a 90 kN engine.
I think what the aero-enigne-gurus are teaching us again and again on this thread is that number in absolution doesn't mean much.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Cybaru wrote:But if they really want to power AMCA, they may have to develop somewhere around 115-130 KN engines for it. .
Why won't 105 KN work? I don't expect AMCA to weigh much more than 13-14 tons empty. Two engines pumping out 22 kgf thrust with internal fuel 6 tons and internal aam load of about 1 ton will still give extremely high twr.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

The first versions will be overweight. It'll be a miracle if they're not. Excess thrust to account for future weight is a must.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Just take the FA-18 analogy for a second here.
The AMCA is to be powered by the same two engines in a similar configuration.

Is the FA-18 a nimble plane? Can it supercruise?
The AMCA because of the stealth shaping may be more draggy.
Then we want it to supercruise too?

What about the Navy? They'll want it to take off from its STOVL carriers with full load and more than half a tank of fuel. Can the current FA-18 do that?

The AMCA engine can't be the same thrust as the FA-18's engine !!! Atleast 10-20KN thrust more per engine is needed no?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Prasad wrote:The first versions will be overweight. It'll be a miracle if they're not. Excess thrust to account for future weight is a must.
Future weight gain can be countered by future engine development. I don't see the kaveri staying stagnant. There has already been talk of 12.5kgf replacements.
Gagan wrote:Just take the FA-18 analogy for a second here.
The AMCA is to be powered by the same two engines in a similar configuration.

Is the FA-18 a nimble plane? Can it supercruise?
The AMCA because of the stealth shaping may be more draggy.
Then we want it to supercruise too?

What about the Navy? They'll want it to take off from its STOVL carriers with full load and more than half a tank of fuel. Can the current FA-18 do that?

The AMCA engine can't be the same thrust as the FA-18's engine !!! Atleast 10-20KN thrust more per engine is needed no?
Not so sure the f18 is a good analogy for a number of reasons..
1. It might be similar weight but it is powered by engines with less thrust. The kaveri will have 1 ton more thrust at least.
2. The shornet is not streamlined for transonic acceleration.. Look at the gripen. With rather inadequate thrust still managed marginal super cruise.
3. The AMCA will have internal carriage of weapons in stealth profile reducing drag and providing plenty of excess thrust because internal stores won't allow for super heavy payloads near mtow
4. For naval ops, it will be better than Rafale in twr, totally doable on stobar setup for stealth config. For bomb truck loads, cats are a must anyway.

I'm guessing that the AMCA kitted out for stealth and Max internal fuel will have a twr well in excess of 1.0. probably similar to a typhoon with 6 aams. Totally capable of supercruise.

Overall, a some compromise, but rather effective.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Can anyone find some good source tracing history of development of M88..? Or if its done on BRF previously, dig out old posts..?

The M88 flows like this it seems, starting from ~1996 when first version entered service: M88 > M88-2 > M88-3 > M88-4E

There have been at least two upgrade programs. THEO during early 2000's demonstrated 90-95kN engine (I think M88-3 which never went ahead of TD phase, it had higher mass flow rate, new AB and all). TCO is the improved Ownership cost improvement package which forms current M88-4E. I think M88-4E = M88-2 + TCO.

"Core has potential of 105kN" is pretty vague statement. Going from 75kN to 105kN is not organically possible. From 75 to 95kN itself took quite a lot of design changes. But if they put together THEO, TCO and some more stuff, 105kN is possible. But I suspect it will take hit on life of engine and the life numbers would be similar to M88-2 and not M88-4E.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

keypubs, another post said it was ground tested in 2005. if funds be given a M88-3-EPE would be developed and rolled out.

=======

M88-3 with the same performance of the -2 but with a lower cunsumption, better reliability, less maintenance
M883- with the same MTBF than the -2 but with more thrust.

Since nobody show interest into the more powerful -3, the M88 ECO is develloped for the french army and could be buy for the Rafale F4

Find on http://www.deagel.com/Powerplant.htm
M88-2
Diameter/Caliber 700mm 27.56-in
Length 3.5 m 12-ft
Max Weight 897 kg 1,978-lb
Thrust 75.5 kN 17,000-lb
Airflow 65Kg/s

M88-3
Diameter/Caliber 790mm 31.1-in
Length 3.6 m 12-ft
Max Weight 985 kg 2,172-lb
Thrust 89.9 kN 20,250-lb
Airflow 72Kg/s

It is said that the -3 need different air intakes on the rafale which are already fully develloped and "decrease the RCS".
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^ I saw those figures. I PS-ed in my post above but when I submitted changes, your post appeared. So I deleted them again. There is quite a bit of interesting info on old forums but almost all the links are dead.

I found another program - PHT - under which Schema demonstrated upto 2100K TET. This was followed by THEO and later by TCO.

A news cut-out from 1998 or so: https://goo.gl/images/86fy2s

I have some more info, but I will post when I see some proper source to verify. But others willing to spend time can use key words I gave above.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

it seems the rafale program suffered a big decline in funding from around 2005 for lack of cash rich export customers and only got next injection of funds some 10 years later from egypt et al. the french govt must have been giving bailouts in the meantime.

in the same time frame the F-18 added a lot of new capability, and is adding more. rafale forget new stuff had to delete the IRST to save cost.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

OK Found one more reference, flight global article from 1999:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... m88-51979/
The M88-2 has a thrust-to-weight ratio of 8.5, producing 11,250/16,850lb of dry/afterburner thrust (50/75kN). The engine has proved extremely reliable in flight tests to-date, by early May building up 6,200 flight hours on the Rafale, giving a total of 16,400h, including test bench running. "It is now ready for entry into operational service," says Jean Massot, M88 general manager
Just look at the number of hours of testing before EIS. This was Snecma's n-th engine, remember.
Snecma is developing the M88-2 Stage 4, which has the same thrust as the standard M88-2, but incorporates improvements aimed at extending the service life of the engine and reducing fuel consumption, which Massot says "will also reduce operating costs significantly". Another benefit will be to improve the duration of the low-level penetration missions.

The changes include the introduction of three-dimensional high-pressure (HP) compressor and turbine blades, blisks (one-piece blades and discs) improved thermal coatings on the HP turbine, and advanced cooling channels for the combustion chamber. The Stage 4 development will be ready in early 2001 and the modifications will be retrofitted to the M88-2. It will power the 48 Rafales ordered in the Government's multi-year procurement plan.

This, I think, eventually became M88-4E and was only recently materialized as opposed to the planned 2001 date.
A further development, the M88-3, rated at 9.5t thrust, still awaits funding, but has been benchtested on a privately funded demonstrator. "We are proposing the M88-3 to the French government for the future standard of the Rafale in the early 2000s and to prospective export customers", says Massot.

The M88-3 features a new LP compressor with higher mass flow (from 65kg/s in the -2 to 73.4kg/s). A new variable stator vane stage has been introduced, permitting the engine to operate at optimum conditions through a much wider range, reducing part-power-specific fuel consumption and providing more operational flexibility to suit the Rafale's multimission role. The development comes out of Snecma's CENTOR LP compressor research programme and from other exploratory developments carried out by Snecma in recent years.
This part constituted THEO program I suppose. They demonstrated 90-95kN thrust based on higher inlet mass flow rate and improved TET.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

This one particular post from some forum I never heard of. Most or all the links are dead. But whatever I have cross checked was correct. This gives quite a good overview of M88 dev history. Note it mentions a news from 1995 which talks about plan for M88-4 with 110kN version which would also be used for M2K re-engine, which we know never came into being.

http://www.network54.com/Search/view/21 ... page=46726
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

JayS Sir,
I wonder what work is there when you want to fit M88 core into the Kaveri. What is the learning there for us ?
It does seem like there is very little R&D benefits for us and a big upside to Safran on the sales front.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Neela wrote:JayS Sir,
I wonder what work is there when you want to fit M88 core into the Kaveri. What is the learning there for us ?
It does seem like there is very little R&D benefits for us and a big upside to Safran on the sales front.
As per Madhu's feedback, the is plan to keep the kabini core and debug the LP system.

I have already said n number of times, you don't fit a core from one engine to LP system of another. You don't upsize or downsize a core. You always upsize or downsize LP system. What you do is you redesign (upsized or downsized existing LP system mostly) LP system for a core of your choice. An engine with M88 core will remain to be M88 engine. In no scenario it becomes Kaveri. And even if we design our own LP system for M88 core to get a new version of M88, it would take more than 2yrs for sure and we would really gain only marginally over and above what we already have achieved from Kaveri.

There are really two alternatives:
1. Simply debug the current Kaveri LP system for achieving target thrust. This is possible in 2yrs and this is what French will do, as per my opinion. Some tech infusion like replacing DS bladed by SCB will give enough jump to 90kN for now. The 110kN version would need significant tech infusion, upsizing and redesigning all the modules.

2. Snecma basically sells us their already developed M88-3 engine as it is.

Only these two options are feasible in 2yrs timeline. I'll eat my hat if Snecma manages to fit existing M88 core (-2 or -4E any of the two versions) into Kaveri's existing LP system and make it flightworthy in 2yrs as the claims have been.

The aspect of strategic independence is a different matter, not necessarily related to technology. It may make sense to simply buy M88-3 engine from France if they offer us good terms and provide enough strategic independence. That would be only for LCA. The existing technology would be sufficient for MK1/MK1A and with little stretch Snecma might be able to reach 98kN level or even surpass it slightly. And we keep developing 110kN K10 version side by side and we should be able to still catch up for AMCA.

PS: There is only one scenario where M88 core is a good fit for Kaveri's LP system and that match is doable in 2yrs (however we must remember, its the LP system of Kaveri which has all the issues so this doesn't make problems go away, they have to be dealt with still, to make the engine reliable). And that is, the Kabine core already resembles very well with the M88 core, due to French consultancy over the years. But I don't want to consider it plausible unless I see some really compelling evidence. But even in that case I do not see upscaling of M88 core happening. Its either M88-2/4E core as it is or its M88-3's core as it is (by M88-3 I refer to the demonstrated core from PHT and THEO programs as mentioned in posts above).
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Indranil wrote:
Rakesh wrote:IR: I was very interested to know the the M88 core had growth potential till 105 kN. That is something I never knew. The Kaveri - if I am not mistaken - is supposed to be a 90 kN engine.
I think what the aero-enigne-gurus are teaching us again and again on this thread is that number in absolution doesn't mean much.
For example the engine core be configured with a higher bypass and a thick nacell will give even more thrust but thrust will drop off significantly as speed increases and bypass can't be sustained beyond certain speed. Final engine config must support a/c operational parameters' optimization space corners.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Here is the calculation of Kaveri engine that i did based on stagnation point. maitya's sheet is based on static thermodynamic points which is not accurate. feel free to comment.
if we populate actual values we can improve it further. currently i am calculating only dry thrust. when i get time i will update it with thrust with AB.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Excellent work there, Madhu.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Good work Sir.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JayS or Maitya, Can you go through madhu's spreadsheet and tell us what's the theoretical performance of the Kaveri as we stand now?

To me the first is the sfc is 1.92 vs 1.19 for dry thrust of 48KN.
Not good news.

madhu, Please run it by the good doctor and see if he agrees.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

ramana wrote: madhu, Please run it by the good doctor and see if he agrees.
Raman, I have checked the calculation against a textbook problem and it well agrees with it. one thing that is different from reality (industrial practice) is Cp and gama value varies with temp. I have taken only one value for cold section and one for hot section. however I feel this will not change a lot. may be its affet is +/- 3~4% only.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Exactly. So it means the sfc for a thrust of 48KN is 1.92.
Long ago I used to do similar calcs in College
And with slide rule
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

here is the calculation with AB. I have assumed the Tab to be 2000. I believe the current technology is around 2000~2100K

Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Madhu, which books which did you use as reference? If your calculations are matching established hand calc procedures, then at least it verifies. For rough calc, an error of around 5% is acceptable.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So Madhu, Now that you did the calls what is your prognosis?
Is this design on path the achieve goals?
What needs to be done to get there?
What are unintended consequences of we adopt those measures?

What else we should know?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

What were the original design goals? 52kN (dry) and 81kN (wet)?
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Zynda wrote:Madhu, which books which did you use as reference? If your calculations are matching established hand calc procedures, then at least it verifies. For rough calc, an error of around 5% is acceptable.
I cross checker it with the problem from Gas Turbine Theory by Saravanamuttoo ,‎ G.F.C. Rogers,H. Cohen‎. prob no. 123, ex. prob 3.2. and also I have referred from Aircraft Propulsion by V. Babu prob no. 155, ex. prob 3.1.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^Thx. I am not a propulsion person...just asked out of curiosity.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

ramana wrote:So Madhu, Now that you did the calls what is your prognosis?
Is this design on path the achieve goals?
What needs to be done to get there?
What are unintended consequences of we adopt those measures?
What else we should know?
ramana, if I do the calculation to get to 52kN we need to change the moment. the momentum is a function of mass and velocity. since the nozzle is choked I cannot change the velocity. hence I need to change the mass flow from 78kg/s to 85kg/s or I need to change the TET to 2000. I doubt that even the competitors do not have so high TET.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

I am certain to a large degree that Amirkhan has 2000K TET or even slightly more.

How are you calculating SFC Madhu..? And whats the unit..? lb/lb-hr ?? Kaveri has 0.78 lb/hr lb dry sfc and 2.0x lb/hr-lb wet sfc.

Also can you point out in the sheet (by color coding) which values are assumed and which are calculated..?