Mass Rapid Transit in India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Theo_Fidel

Re: Mass Rapid Transit in India

Post by Theo_Fidel »

asgkhan wrote:Until safe, predictable last mile connectivity of reasonable cost is introduced, beebuls in bangalores will prefer to use their bikes & cars. No amount of metro development/ bus facility etc cuts it.
Sadly, I agree. Real hell is coming. In Indian cities with 50,000 person/sqkm density the idea of everyone running around in bike & car is hard to imagine. In January twice I tried to get thru N US man road/ Panamax park in peak hours. After 1 hour I had to abort both times. It is going to get a lot worse before people change their pattern...
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

Quietly and Steadily, Nagpur metro going great with the time

‘Nagpur Metro service likely by year end’
http://thehitavada.com/Encyc/2017/8/5/% ... -end-.aspx

‘Solar energy to provide two-thirds of Nagpur Metro’s power needs’
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... s-4783045/
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:
arshyam wrote:I think you'll agree saar, this is where BLR really shines. Even without tendersure, all roads will have a somewhat decent platform to walk on. It's one thing I've come to appreciate in the much maligned BBMP - they build a platform in all the roads, be it Whitefield or Lalbagh road. Tendersure has only made it easier to walk, leading to scenarios like vina saar posted above. In Chennai, otoh, platforms are a joke. If they exist. Beyond that, the less said the better. Oh, the roads are very good, far smoother than BLR's. But what Chennai has done for its motor traffic, it hasn't even thought about doing for its foot traffic.
Shyam this is somewhat dramatic - but I had to take a day off yesterday as I had a fall when my foot went into a small ditch while walking from Mantri Mall Metro station towards High Grounds. I have a black eye now.
Ohh. Thats too bad. Hope everything is fine now, shiv.

When I came to BLR I lived two years in JP Nagar/Jayanagar area. Never ventured anywhere else other than southern and CBD areas. I used to think why people crib about BLR so much, it looks nice only. But I saw the real picture when I shifted to the Eastern parts. Its a completely different situation in terms of roads/walk-ways. While some areas are quite nice, majority of other areas are in dilapidated state. I think the main reason for having a side-walk on each road in BLR is because of presence of storm water drainages. Though they are useless as water drainage system they do give some space almost everywhere. But yes it could be dangerous to walk on some of those, since they are not that well maintained in a lot of parts. I saw a person falling down one leg in, in the gap between the two cover panels of those water drainages just the other day, just like you have to suffer. I my area half of the sections are open only without any cover.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Anyone who says Bangalore has better roads than Chennai has not ventured outside of core BDA/BBMP limits . Jayanagar, Malleswaram, MG Road or even parts of Ulsuru or basically anything which comes within 7-10 km radius is ok but then one can say same about Nugambakkam , Adyar and other core areas in Chennai . Check Bangalore's money making corridor and it's creaking infrastructure compare that with Siruseri/Old mahabalipuram road (is that where the action is in Chennai still ?) . Even back in 2005 Chennai had better road and public transportation . Here our jokers make every new facility between Vidhan Sauda and some central location of their choice , revenue making parts of the city are left unattended because most of them are inhabited by 'outsiders'.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

negi wrote:Anyone who says Bangalore has better roads than Chennai has not ventured outside of core BDA/BBMP limits . Jayanagar, Malleswaram, MG Road or even parts of Ulsuru or basically anything which comes within 7-10 km radius is ok but then one can say same about Nugambakkam , Adyar and other core areas in Chennai . Check Bangalore's money making corridor and it's creaking infrastructure compare that with Siruseri/Old mahabalipuram road (is that where the action is in Chennai still ?) . Even back in 2005 Chennai had better road and public transportation . Here our jokers make every new facility between Vidhan Sauda and some central location of their choice , revenue making parts of the city are left unattended because most of them are inhabited by 'outsiders'.
True, the business areas of OMR have sidewalks/service roads wide enough for 2 cars to pass each other side by side, and plenty of pedestrian overbridges. No metro yet in the area though :(
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Many people I know who commute towards ITPL or have offices along the KR Puram-ITPL stretch from S Bangalore have switched to Metro. There isn't a significant time savings as of now (may be around 15-20 minutes...they attribute this to low freq in Green line...avg waiting time of 10 minutes plus huge subscription in Purple line forces them to forgo a couple of trains in Majestic before they can aboard PLUS travel time of almost 40-60 mins from Byappanahalli to ITPL) but significant relief for folks who used to drive...also Metro+bus combo works almost half the cost of taking an Ola/Uber pool from S. Blr towards ITPL region.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Bangalore is a joke. No footpaths, no respect for pedestrians, zebra crossings are 2 wheeler wait areas etc.

What little footpaths that exist in some areas are used by 2 wheelers when traffic waits and they even have the audacity to honk at pedestrians.

Anyone who disagree is free to contact me and I'll take you on the tour
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

shiv wrote:Shyam this is somewhat dramatic - but I had to take a day off yesterday as I had a fall when my foot went into a small ditch while walking from Mantri Mall Metro station towards High Grounds. I have a black eye now.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that sir. Hope you are better now.

I had a similar incident near Jayanagar 4th blk. There are a lot of basement shops in this area which have steps going down and the first step is on the platform itself. Once walking very fast, I didn't notice the lower step in the platform and tripped and fell. But nothing much happened and the shop owner got an earful from me. He began to keep a mannequin on that lower step from the next day - jugaad, but problem solved.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

It's interesting to see the reactions to a mildly +ve posts on BLR. Immediately, people take an example of one stretch here and there and try to counter my argument about BLR's platforms.

I know it is received wisdom on BRF to say all is bad in BLR, and it is true in many areas. But no harm in appreciating the good as when one sees it. As JayS saar said, the storm water drains in many places are finished so they are walkable and form a mini-platform therein. Yes, many main road platforms aren't walkable and level (I didn't argue that they are smooth as a certain actress' cheek ;)), but the space has been allotted and more or less preserved. Tendersure is making use of this space to give a better experience. I brought in Chennai since in the nineties I used to be able to walk home from school on proper platforms. But then Stalin as mayor decided to de-congest the roads by widening them at the cost of platforms, and that was the end of it. Lots of road congestion in BLR could be solved by simply widening the road as was done in Chennai - take any of the main roads in Whitefield/ITPL or even around Lalbagh. But so far, that has not happened, and I do appreciate BBMP for that. At least pedestrians don't have to dodge traffic while trying to get to a bus stop or a store. Saying two wheelers ride on these platforms is missing the point. I'd rather trip and fall on a platform rather than be hit by a stray 2-wheeler from behind.

I was in Mylapore in Chennai this week and was pleasantly surprised to see platforms on all the Mada streets around the temple. This is also the case in some of the newly added areas like Nanganallur, where storm water drains are being finished with walkable paths on top. But they are invariably only 5 feet wide and did not help walking at all - shop fronts, EB poles, parking meters, etc. took up most of the space, forcing me back on the street. Not a single pedestrian was walking on these structures, and anyone who knows Mylapore knows how pedestrian intensive that area is. This is what I alluded to - platforms are joke in Chennai - might as well remove them completely rather than building these ornamental granite slab ones and ticking a form saying "done".
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/hc-refuses-to-permit-metro-3-work-at-night/articleshow/60756421.cms
MUMBAI: Bombay high court on Tuesday declined to pass a "blanket'' order allowing Metro III authorities to transport construction material, heavy machinery and debris at night, noting that it will affect citizen's sleep.
"Any human being needs 6-7 hours of peaceful sleep. Therefore, at any cost I am not willing to change it,'' said Chief Justice Manjula Chellur heading a division bench.
Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Ltd sought permission to allow at least transportation of construction material at night, citing the traffic police's recent circular that bans heavy vehicles in South Mumbai from 7 am till midnight. Its advocate said it was facing difficulties as work during the day finishes by 5 pm and more construction material has to be brought to the sites and debris has to be taken away.
Last month, the HC stayed carrying out construction or any ancillary work between 10pm-6am on a petition regarding "excessive noise'' at night for the proposed Cuffe Parade station. Petitioner-advocate Robin Jaisinghani opposed MMRC's plea, saying government and semi-government vehicles were exempted and can ply during the day. "As it is, we are already exposed to noise from vibrations, drilling and construction throughout the day,'' he said.
MMRC's advocate said base noise of traffic is 75-80 decibels, and that it will keep the noise below 45 decibels. But it cut no ice with the court. " If continuously there is drilling machine on, throughout the night nobody can sleep,'' said the CJ.
She spoke about noise by construction workers and her personal experience. "The people whom you employ, the way they shout! You feel like getting down and slapping them,''(Ladyship ko bahut gussa aati hain) she said, adding that they play music on mobile phones while unloading material or removing debris. "It is not your person who will stand and supervise them. You'll tell some contractor. If that can happen in my compound, then I can imagine how it happens in other places,'' she added.
When MMRC's advocate said Metro was a "public project'', the CJ retorted, "If you can't work during the day time, don't do the work."
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

It is now crystal clear that the MoFos running the Metro have seriously underestimated the demand in the phase 1 of Namma Metro. The Green Line is also packed to the gills (practically anytime of the day) and the Purple line is literally choked and during rush hours you are in the line waiting for 2 or 3 trains before you can board.

I simply cannot understand why these morons cannot order coaches some 8 to 12 months in advance (these are obviously long lead time items), when they know they will be opening the new lines.

Once the Metro reaches ITPL from Byappanahalli and the route to electronics city and the Silk Board - ORR link is built, traffic will literally skyrocket.

Hopefully these morons have coaches in place. We are running the entire 1st phase with a paltry 3 coach per train rubbish ordered and delivered circa 2012! I haven't seen a single coach so far with a date beyond the 2012 delivery .

Jackasses.
prasan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prasan »

Banglore metro trains have just 3 coaches. They need 6-7 coaches per train
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Its all work in progress, GO SLOW..! for Namma Metro. Its obviously under-designed because its based on survey done in 2001-02..!! New coaches are coming but too long a lead time. 6 coaches per train in pipeline. BEML to supply.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ban ... 731835.ece

[rant on]
BMCRL must be the worst management body of such public project anywhere in the world. And the BBMP is like a gram-panchayat. These guys managing BLR/KA seems to be like mentally under-evolved to me, not worthy of handling a city. I have never seen such bad administration even in tier-2 cities or towns. I have lived in 4-5 cities, none was so bad. The city I grew up in mostly, had municipal water connection in almost every damn home with daily water supply. Decent coverage of sewage network. Power load shedding was a rare thing. Wide roads were planned decades in advance and all new buildings kept out of road since then to avoid issues with road widening. Even old main roads widened without much issues. No open gutters as far back as I can remember. Tar roads would easily last 5yrs without any repair. All telephone and electricity wires disappeared below ground in 1990s and since 1996 or so very decent garbage collection system where daily at approximately same time garbage tractor would come for pick up without having to beg them or give them monthly hafta. No TFTA things but all basic civic things were in good order. Now with increased population and corruption things are little worse. But, still its OKish. I would not have appreciated all these things had I never moved to BLR. Of coarse BLR has far more quantity to handle but there is simply no will at any level to improve on things. I don't think money is an issue. Sometimes I wonder, are we really making any progress whatsoever..??
[rant off]
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ which city was that saar, if you don't mind? Sounds too go to be true :mrgreen:
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

^^There are indeed cities like that. I grew up in a Tier III city in N.India & we had all those amenities as mentioned above, since early 80s :
wide roads & well-planned layouts, road maintenance done every 2 yrs irrespective of the road's condition (2 layer tarring - bitumen followed by sand), proper sewage network & regular maintenance, practically no load shedding, piped water connection with water being supplied twice a day, daily garbage collection & disposal by civic authorities etc - all these without the need to grease anyone's palms.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

PM inaugurates Hyderabad metro; services to be open for public from tomorrow
Hyderabad: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday inaugurated the much-awaited Hyderabad metro train services. Modi took an inaugural ride of the service from the Miyapur Metro station till the Kukutpally station, a stretch of 5 km.

The Prime Minister was accompanied by Telangana Governor ESL Narasimhan, Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao, Information and Technology Minister K T Rama Rao, Union Urban Affairs Minister Harider Singh Puri and BJP leaders Kishen Reddy and Dr K Laxman.

The Prime Minister inaugurated the first phase of the project, which covers 24 stations.
The metro will be opened to the public on Wednesday.

Here is a look at the facilities Hyderabad metro has for the commuters

Commuters can avail smart cards for the metro from the weekend. The card can also be used for other transport in the city
The metro will cover a 30 km stretch in its first phase and is expected to carry 17 lakh passengers each day
The Hyderabad Metro project has been divided into three corridors - all passing through areas with high population density Initially, the metro will run from 6 am to 10 pm. It would be rescheduled - 5:30 am to 11:00 pm - depending on traffic and demand, Telangana's Technology Minister KT Rama Rao said
The price of tickets will range between Rs 10 and Rs 60
The operations will start with three coaches - each of which can accommodate 330 people - per train. The number of coaches would be increased to six depending on traffic
The elevated metro will have stations located at a distance of approximately one km
The metro will eventually include feeder bus services, parking facility at strategic locations and have connectivity with other modes of transport
There are plans to build sky-walks connecting the stations directly to commercial complexes, stadiums and offices
The Hyderabad metro line will eventually be a 72 km elevated stretch, which will be completed by 2018. It is the largest such public-private partnership project, the state government has said.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Such a significant development this week and no murmers here? Delhi Metro inaugurates the first line of Phase III - the Pink line, also significant as it connects the North and South campuses of Delhi University. The Line was inagurated by Union MoS HS Puri and Yugpurush.

Delhi Metro Pink Line opens, cuts travel time by 16-30 minutes
The Delhi Metro’s Pink Line, a new 21.5-km circular metro corridor that will connect South and North West Delhi along the ring road, was opened to the public on Wednesday evening.

The stretch between Majlis Park and Durgabai Deshmukh South Campus is part of a longer 58.9-km “ring corridor”, which will become the longest metro line in the country, when completed.

The circular Pink Line will eventually turn the Delhi Metro network into a web by connecting many of the existing radial corridors at 10 different interchange points, including the Airport Express line at Dhaula Kuan station.

Delhi currently has the 12th largest metro network in the world. Five of the top 10 are in China. By the end of 2018, Delhi is expected to add close to 100 km of metro lines, making its metro network the 8th largest in the world.

Similar to the recently inaugurated Magenta Line, the Pink Line will also have driverless technology. It will become the second Delhi Metro corridor to be operated using the Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) signalling technology which facilitates movement of trains with a frequency of 90 to 100 seconds.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Vasu wrote:Such a significant development this week and no murmers here? Delhi Metro inaugurates the first line of Phase III - the Pink line, also significant as it connects the North and South campuses of Delhi University. The Line was inagurated by Union MoS HS Puri and Yugpurush.

Delhi Metro Pink Line opens, cuts travel time by 16-30 minutes
The Delhi Metro’s Pink Line, a new 21.5-km circular metro corridor that will connect South and North West Delhi along the ring road, was opened to the public on Wednesday evening.

The stretch between Majlis Park and Durgabai Deshmukh South Campus is part of a longer 58.9-km “ring corridor”, which will become the longest metro line in the country, when completed.

The circular Pink Line will eventually turn the Delhi Metro network into a web by connecting many of the existing radial corridors at 10 different interchange points, including the Airport Express line at Dhaula Kuan station.

Delhi currently has the 12th largest metro network in the world. Five of the top 10 are in China. By the end of 2018, Delhi is expected to add close to 100 km of metro lines, making its metro network the 8th largest in the world.

Similar to the recently inaugurated Magenta Line, the Pink Line will also have driverless technology. It will become the second Delhi Metro corridor to be operated using the Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) signalling technology which facilitates movement of trains with a frequency of 90 to 100 seconds.
Just travelled in it today morning, guess what train developed snag, took 45 min to travel 15min distance.
Look like new train had some problems..
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

@Sarabpal, that's a pity, hopefully they'll solve the teething issues. At least I hope the airconditioning worked.

Meanwhile, in Hyderabad, In its first 100 days, over 80 lakh people ride Hyderabad Metro
Over 80 lakh passengers travelled in the Hyderabad Metro Rail in the first 100 days after it was launched, according to officials of the L&T Metro Rail (Hyderabad) Limited (LTMRHL).

According to statistics displayed on the trains and in the station, over 10.2 lakh km of operations have been completed and 36,186 train trips were taken till February-end.

The HMRL also said that strict punctuality was maintained, and several thousand people were availing the services on a daily basis.

Last month, the Hyderabad Bicycling Club and Smartbike Mobility Pvt Ltd announced the launch of a public bike sharing system for first and last-mile connectivity at metro stations in Hyderabad.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

^^ welll ac works fine hope they had climate control rather than manual settings so it could work in different load condition.
And your bigger than mine is not going to work here, :evil: , route in mentioning is only partial opened and longest in India so wait and watch... Delhi's total passanger load is near about 30 lac per day :twisted: and growing
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Nearly 50% of pillars ready, Metro 2A to start in 2020
“Nearly 481 of the total 957 piers have already been cast. Moreover, work is in progress on construction of all 17 stations,” said an official of Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA).

Kasturi Park in Malad will be the first station on the elevated corridor to be ready. The official said, “We aim to complete the civil works by December 2018 or January 2019. There may be a delay of two to three months if there are any hurdles.”

The MMRDA has set a target of 2019 for the project, but delay in rolling stock procurement due to negotiations over loan and some issues with civil works lead to the corridor being commissioned in 2020. Work on this corridor commenced in 2016. The official said 95% of soil investigation work and 87% of utility works have also been completed.

Out of the 1430 girders to be laid, 513 have been cast (36%) and 363 erected (25%). MMRDA has invited bids for rolling stock (trains) after approval of loan from Asian Development Bank and New Development Bank. In April, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, which is implementing the project, invited bids for the laying of the tracks. The work is expected to be completed by December.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Two crucial Chennai Metro stretches to be inaugurated today
The Chennai Central Metro Rail station will open on Friday, allowing commuters to travel directly from the station to two crucial transport hubs — the CMBT and the airport.

Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami and Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Housing And Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri will inaugurate the stretches — Nehru Park to Central and Saidapet to AG-DMS at the Chennai Egmore Metro Rail station on Friday.

The stretch from Central to Nehru Park covers a distance of 2.7 km. The stretch from Saidapet to AG-DMS is 4 km. This will allow commuters to travel directly to the airport from AG-DMS.

While the Saidapet Metro station is located close to Panagal Maligai, the AG-DMS station is near the Directorate of Medical and Rural Health Services.

The two stretches are part of the phase I project that cost Rs 14,600 crore.

The government of Japan had given Yen 110 billion, the Consul General of Japan said.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

It's done: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/che ... 989294.ece

Both Central and Egmore stations are added to the metro network in one shot. With this, the metro now connects Central, Egmore, CMBT as well as the airport.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Delhi Metro's Magenta Line to be inaugurated today, will reduce Gurgaon-Noida travel by 30 minutes
The 24.82-km-long Janakpuri West-Kalkaji Mandir stretch of the Delhi Metro's Magenta Line is all set to be inaugurated on Monday that will bring domestic terminal of the city airport on the DMRC network and cut travel travel time between Noida and Gurgaon by at least 30 minutes.

Once the stretch is opened, it will take the total length of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) network to 277 km, officials said.

At 29 metres, the five-level new Hauz Khas station is the deepest metro station in the entire network and an engineering landmark as its tunnel goes beneath that of the old station's.

Hauz Khas (with Yellow Line) and Janakpuri West (with Blue Line) stations are the interchange facilities on this corridor, besides the existing Kalkaji Mandir station (with Violet Line).

Passenger services on the segment, which has 16 stations — 14 underground, two elevated — will begin from Tuesday at 6 am from the Kalkaji Mandir and Janakpuri West stations simultaneously.

This section will be the longest stretch to have been opened so far in the DMRC's Phase-III project.

Terminal 1 of the IGI Airport has also been connected to the metro network through this corridor, with an eponymous station on it.

The Delhi Metro is also touting the Magenta Line as a 'Knowledge Corridor' as four major universities of the Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR), have been connected on it.

The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) are the institutions which will get metro connectivity with the opening of the new corridor and Jamia Milia Islamia University in south Delhi and Amity University in Noida have already got metro connectivity with the opening of the Botanical Garden Kalkaji Mandir section in December last year.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Solving the wrong problem with heavy trains and carriages?
Get past the NYC-specific beginning of
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ir/562472/
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

New govt sets the ball rolling
metro services are in the pipeline for cities like Kanpur, Agra, Meerut, Jhansi, Allahabad as well as Gorakhpur. A new metro rail project is also coming up which will connect Greater Noida with the upcoming international airport in Jewar.

Meanwhile, the Agra Metro project, set for completion by the year 2024, will provide connectivity to the famous Taj Mahal and also enable tourists to travel easily to the world-famous heritage sites across the city. The metro project received the approval from the Union Cabinet last year and aims to decongest the city’s traffic and reduce pollution levels.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Has quite a lot of details for those who want to go into
http://www.ris.org.in/sites/default/fil ... 20Note.pdf
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

ArjunPandit wrote:New govt sets the ball rolling
metro services are in the pipeline for cities like Kanpur, Agra, Meerut, Jhansi, Allahabad as well as Gorakhpur. A new metro rail project is also coming up which will connect Greater Noida with the upcoming international airport in Jewar.

Meanwhile, the Agra Metro project, set for completion by the year 2024, will provide connectivity to the famous Taj Mahal and also enable tourists to travel easily to the world-famous heritage sites across the city. The metro project received the approval from the Union Cabinet last year and aims to decongest the city’s traffic and reduce pollution levels.
RRTS soil testing and survey was being done in Old Delhi Gurgaon road, Gurgaon a couple of months back.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Two days back saw namma metro boards in ORR, blr. Diggging was in progress in couple of places between ecospace and iblur. couldnt believe my eyes. Yeddy means serious business looks like.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

It's soil testing which always happens before the piling work starts. They started the work at silk board almost 3 weeks back. Nothing to do with Yeddy.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Maybe. After IL&FS fiasco project was an orphan. Things falling in place after Con-JDs govt falling on its face.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Feel free to believe what you want, but except for some statements, the Yeddy govt has not done anything regarding this (at least yet, to give them the benefit of doubt). They are too busy trying to run the show with how many dy CMs (3 at last count), with the sword of the by-elections hanging over them. The only BLR specific news was regarding cancelling the on-going road concreting works, and work is stopped half way (awesome experience for commuters including mine).

This is from Namma Metro's own site (http://tender.bmrc.co.in:90/), or you can check this up on Skyscrapercity as well, where they track these projects minutely (link):
SL No | Tender Notification No. | Tender Name | Awarded | Date Awarded | Amount | Awarded To

4 | BMRCL/Addl. Geo Technical Investigation/CSB-K. R. Puram/2019/46 |
Proposed Additional Geotechnical investigation on Outer Ring Road from Central Silk Board Junction to K.R.Puram including Baiyappanahalli Depot Entry line for Bangalore Metro Rail Project, Phase-2A |
19/06/2019 | 2,858,564.00 INR | Myrtle Project and Consultancy Pvt. Ltd.
As you can see, this tender was awarded a full month before BSY took his oath. The positive aspect is that BMRCL is functioning without too much paralysis and continued with the tender during the height of the political drama.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

But as a person whose daily commute is to ORR and via the warzone called BTM layout, I can't help but look at the metro work there with some trepidation. Our friendly traffic police is sure to stand to attention and keep watch over the traffic pileups, looking for opportunities to rake-in by the fistful thanks to the enhanced fines in effect from this month.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Thanks for the link. Thats the tender work in progress alright. Atleast BMRCL has started soil testing work.
Rohit_K
BRFite

Post by Rohit_K »

Delhi is building a semi-high speed rail network to connect NCR suburbs and towns. Think of it like a metro system, just faster with longer distances between successive stations. First line to Meerut is under construction. Second line's tender for Gurugram section was just opened

GR Infra Lowest Bidder for Gurgaon Section of Delhi – Alwar RRTS Line
Amidst the suspension of metro services and construction work due to COVID-19, GR Infraprojects Ltd. (GRIL) has emerged the lowest bidder for constructing the 8.5 km Gurugram section of the 164 km Delhi – SNB – Alwar Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) line.

GR Infraprojects Ltd. (GRIL) - Rs. 592,17,65,833
Tata Projects Ltd. (TPL) - Rs. 648,50,36,616
Cherian Varkey Construction Co. Pvt. Ltd. (CVCC) - Financial Bid Not Opened (Technical Bid Rejected)
Delhi - Meerut line - 82.15 km - 17 stations
https://themetrorailguy.com/delhi-meeru ... s-updates/

Delhi - Alwar line - 164 km - 22 stations
https://themetrorailguy.com/delhi-alwar ... s-updates/

Delhi - Panipat line - 103 km - 16 stations
https://themetrorailguy.com/delhi-panip ... s-updates/
Rohit_K
BRFite

Post by Rohit_K »

Bombardier Lowest Bidder for Delhi-Meerut RRTS’ 210 Coach Contract
Bombardier Transportation on Friday afternoon emerged as the lowest bidder for supplying & maintaining 210 standard gauge coaches for the under construction 82.15 km Delhi – Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) line after officials from the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) opened financial bids for its contract.

Bombardier: Rs. 2577 crores
CAF: Rs. 2850 crores
Alstom: Rs. 3343 crores
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

Rohit_K wrote:Delhi is building a semi-high speed rail network to connect NCR suburbs and towns. Think of it like a metro system, just faster with longer distances between successive stations. First line to Meerut is under construction. Second line's tender for Gurugram section was just opened

GR Infra Lowest Bidder for Gurgaon Section of Delhi – Alwar RRTS Line
Amidst the suspension of metro services and construction work due to COVID-19, GR Infraprojects Ltd. (GRIL) has emerged the lowest bidder for constructing the 8.5 km Gurugram section of the 164 km Delhi – SNB – Alwar Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) line.

GR Infraprojects Ltd. (GRIL) - Rs. 592,17,65,833
Tata Projects Ltd. (TPL) - Rs. 648,50,36,616
Cherian Varkey Construction Co. Pvt. Ltd. (CVCC) - Financial Bid Not Opened (Technical Bid Rejected)
Delhi - Meerut line - 82.15 km - 17 stations
https://themetrorailguy.com/delhi-meeru ... s-updates/

Delhi - Alwar line - 164 km - 22 stations
https://themetrorailguy.com/delhi-alwar ... s-updates/

Delhi - Panipat line - 103 km - 16 stations
https://themetrorailguy.com/delhi-panip ... s-updates/
The route for Delhi Alwar line doesn't look right.
A station is planned near Maruti Udyog and the line is parallel to Old Delhi Gurgaon road till sector 14. The preparatory works have been going on in Old Delhi Gurgaon road for the past 8 months.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

India needs this type of AI planning software for civic construction.

Babus can't be doing it as the end result of their city planning is an inefficient mess.

----

This SimCity-Like Tool Lets Urban Planners See the Potential Impact of Their Ideas

The software is currently built for the U.S., though UrbanFootprint is also working with international cities like Chongqing, China, which has a population of 30 million, nearly as large as all of California. They believe it can be useful anywhere, and as cities continue to grow–by 2050, 70% of the world’s population will be urban–good planning, which shapes social opportunity and environmental impact, is also necessary.

“In China alone, they’re going to be building cities for another 300 million people in the next 20 years,” says Calthorpe. “That’s basically building the urban environment of the United States. And they’re going to do that in 20 years instead of 200 years. So getting cities right is really at the crux of the well-being of mankind.”

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/this ... ket-newtab
Rohit_K
BRFite

Post by Rohit_K »

STEC Lowest Bidder for Delhi-Meerut RRTS’ UG Package 4
Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co. Ltd. (STEC) today emerged as the lowest bidder for constructing the 5.6 km New Ashok Nagar – Sahibabad underground Package 4 of the 82.15 km Delhi – Meerut RRTS project after officials from the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) opened online financial bids submitted by 5 bidders.

•STEC: 1126cr
•L&T: 1170cr
•Gulermak: 1326cr
•TATA-SKEC: 1346cr
•Afcons: 1400cr
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

A substantial number of TBM machines being used in India have been sourced from China. In addition, Chinese technicians are used to help service the machines and operate the machines to help with the geotechnical aspects as the TBM moves forward. The fact that flights between China and India are suspended and the Galwan crisis has had an impact with TBM operations for Namma Metro. TBMs have been lowered but seem not operational. How will this be remedied, for example cutters need to be changed quite frequently in the Bangalore projects since the TBM will traverse through hard rock. How will this issue be addressed with spare parts? Mumbai coastal road project is also a CRCHI TBM fabricated in Changsha, China. Out of the 18 TBMs in operation on the Mumbai Metro, 8 are from Chinese companies and the remaining 10 are from Western companies which were fabricated in their Chinese plants. It would be hopeless now to stop the supply of spare parts etc at this late stage of the project.

For example Herrenknecht AG is a leading supplier of TBMs to the world market and one of their main factories is in Guangzhou. They supply many TBMs to projects in India. OK to cancel projects, but what about ongoing projects that have significant Chinese machinery and are at advanced stages, what then?? Also it will be ironic if L&T gets a project but uses a Made in China TBM and then consultancy of geotechnical nature from China.