Indian Autos Thread -2

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Autos Thread -2

Post by Prasad »

Aditya_V wrote:Truth is looking at the way Indians love the Ciaz, Baleno and New Dzire, only VFM pricing , Discounts, delivery on 5 star hotel and Mine bigger than Higher milage from MID which shows 30% greater milage than actuals is more important than safety and reality.
Look at how many actually bring up safety while buying cars and you'll know how effed our car market is. Why do we have cars that offer 'driver side airbags only' versions still? With abs and esp optional in the highest versions in some and not at all in others? :)
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

TKiran wrote:^^^^while not trying to side with Maruti Suzuki, your observation has been totally wrong, as I was very closely associated with automotive services business, the QUALITY (I don't want to give a lecture on quality now, it's complete quality) is the reason for Maruti Suzuki success.

All the other automobiles are way inferior to Maruti Suzuki when it comes to quality. All the other factors you mentioned are incidental. Anyone who owned Maruti Suzuki would not like even to try something else, and when they get into pocket pinching service issues with other brands, I have personally witnessed taking huge losses in selling the car and coming back to Maruti Suzuki.

The only other brand that comes close to Maruti Suzuki is Toyota (still I see Maruti Suzuki's commitment to quality is atleast twice that of Toyota)
Just reflecting what I hear as main reason many people (friends, relatives, acquaintances) quote for preferring Maruti, when I ask them - better servicing. Majority of them couldn't differentiate head from tail in terms of technology or manufacturing quality. Fuel cost and servicing is their main experience. Comfort and safety are of coarse secondary.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

TKiran wrote:^^^^while not trying to side with Maruti Suzuki, your observation has been totally wrong, as I was very closely associated with automotive services business, the QUALITY (I don't want to give a lecture on quality now, it's complete quality) is the reason for Maruti Suzuki success.

All the other automobiles are way inferior to Maruti Suzuki when it comes to quality. All the other factors you mentioned are incidental. Anyone who owned Maruti Suzuki would not like even to try something else, and when they get into pocket pinching service issues with other brands, I have personally witnessed taking huge losses in selling the car and coming back to Maruti Suzuki.

The only other brand that comes close to Maruti Suzuki is Toyota (still I see Maruti Suzuki's commitment to quality is atleast twice that of Toyota)

Lol
You might want to alert the international media - suzuki has better quality than all the European, American, and Japanese brands other than maybe Toyota?
That's just made up jib eris
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Raveen wrote:

Lol
You might want to alert the international media - suzuki has better quality than all the European, American, and Japanese brands other than maybe Toyota?
That's just made up jib eris
Yeah. That bit was too much. Toyota is benchmark for quality and maintainability in the world. I never heard before such thing about Suzuki ever.
TKiran
BRFite

Post by TKiran »

If you ever get a chance see underbody of cars in 2post lifts, a 10 year old car run around 100000km, of Maruti Suzuki car of any name and a 2 year old car of any other brand of comparable size, run more than 20000km.

Absolutely no match. (You don't need to be an expert in automotive field, just the plain sight is sufficient, better still, talk to the owners of those two cars for feedback)
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

TKiran wrote:If you ever get a chance see underbody of cars in 2post lifts, a 10 year old car run around 100000km, of Maruti Suzuki car of any name and a 2 year old car of any other brand of comparable size, run more than 20000km.

Absolutely no match. (You don't need to be an expert in automotive field, just the plain sight is sufficient, better still, talk to the owners of those two cars for feedback)
Sounds like you're caught up in the PAL Padmini and HM Amby time warp - show me one rusted modern car and I'll show you a nick in the paint that wasn't repaired in time. For a cheap mass market automaker, Suzuki doesn't even figure in the top 5 globally, and are nowhere close to the likes of the Germans or the 3 major Japanese brands when it comes to quality, heck Ford has them beat in quality. In fact, Suzuki making #9 on the top 10 global auto list is thanks to sales in India (50% of sales for Suzuki are from India) driven by an antiquated mindset and lack of awareness. Bhedh chaal at its finest.

For your ref: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschm ... d168491a8b
and: http://www.india.com/auto/car-news/maru ... les-31181/
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Suzuki is successful in India because vast majority of Indians prefer cheaper stuff over quality.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Raveen wrote:For a cheap mass market automaker, Suzuki doesn't even figure in the top 5 globally, and are nowhere close to the likes of the Germans or the 3 major Japanese brands when it comes to quality, heck Ford has them beat in quality.
That may hold true for the international market but what about Desh ?

J.D. Power 2016 India Vehicle Dependability Study
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

SBajwa wrote:Suzuki is successful in India because vast majority of Indians prefer cheaper stuff over quality.

Amen - and then we hide this by claiming it's "value for money". As if quality is not valuable.
Last edited by Raveen on 27 Oct 2017 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Manish_P wrote:
Raveen wrote:For a cheap mass market automaker, Suzuki doesn't even figure in the top 5 globally, and are nowhere close to the likes of the Germans or the 3 major Japanese brands when it comes to quality, heck Ford has them beat in quality.
That may hold true for the international market but what about Desh ?

J.D. Power 2016 India Vehicle Dependability Study
Manish, I assure you Suzuki doesn't have an additional level of quality, fit, and finish that they bring to desh. It's the same crap the peddle everywhere, unsuccessfully.
Also, I am talking about quality, you should be looking at the initial quality results not dependability which takes into account screwdriver and hammer streetside mechanic reparability/familiarity scores in desh.

Look at the initial quality results in desh:
http://india.jdpower.com/press-releases ... lity-study

Suzuki isn't #1 in any of the categories, and trails the likes of Hyundai, in addition to the expected Honda, Toyota, VW, and guess what is ranked right next to Tata in the compact car bread and butter market.

Just for kicks:

Ranked lower than Ford in desh:
http://india.jdpower.com/node/7676/?pcr ... y%7C%7CSUV

Ranked lowest in class in desh:
http://india.jdpower.com/node/7676/?pcr ... %20Compact
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Having owned a Hyundai, Tata Manza, Suzuki swift and close friends owning Ford, VW, Honda, Suzuki has its own sets of advantages
Availability of service centers, spare anywhere anytime in India, frugal mileage, low spare cost, pretty decent quality of customer experience with service centers, excellent resale value for its cars, feeling of power due to power to weight ratio.

If you dig deeper, the TCO is not cheap if you go through service centres.MtBf is higher but it can be addressed cheaply and quickly. Toyota has the lowest tco, reliability of components, longer running life of their engine. Suzuki has poor sheet metal thickness, poor brakes in lower end variants. Ford claims that the total tco is low for figo than swift and i have it verified it in a few cases myself. However when u sell the car after 5 years, Maruti scores big. VW is not very reliable, limited service centers and high tco. Less said about the safety standards of Maruti, Tata, Hyundai, Renault nissan in India , better it is. Sheet metal thickness should not be confused with safety as they see here in Desh. Structural stability is key which only a few cars score decently. Toyota seems to have improved with 4 star ncap rating for their tin can etios and liva
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Sridhar K wrote:Having owned a Hyundai, Tata Manza, Suzuki swift and close friends owning Ford, VW, Honda, Suzuki has its own sets of advantages
Sheet metal thickness should not be confused with safety as they see here in Desh. Structural stability is key which only a few cars score decently.
Agreed wholeheartedly - however Suzuki isn't the best with structural integrity either, and they certainly aren't the best with sheet metal quality.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

To bolster all those arguments, the Tiago sold 100,000 units. Look at the safety table at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official- ... eview.html

Two ( :roll: ) frontal airbags are optional on most models and included by default only on the top end. Abs+ ebd etc etc is available only on the top end model. That is in short the level of the indian market.
And please honda accords and civics and odysseys run for 250,000-300,000 miles without issues. While our roads are worse, they won't do that much even if they were good. Let's not even talk about quality when indian cars are nowhere near international benchmarks.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Raveen wrote: Manish, I assure you Suzuki doesn't have an additional level of quality, fit, and finish that they bring to desh. It's the same crap the peddle everywhere, unsuccessfully. Could well be
Also, I am talking about quality, you should be looking at the initial quality results not dependability which takes into account screwdriver and hammer streetside mechanic reparability/familiarity scores in desh.This is where we should agree to differ Saar. In Desh both matter. Especially in the 'cheap mass market automaker' segment
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

The biggest problem is regulation or lack of it in India. When the Indian cars fared poor in NCAP crash test, MSIL and Renault said that their cars comply to Indian standards. However, I see more and more vendors moving slowly towards offering airbags and ABS standard in all variants like the new dzire. Perhaps expecting the perpeetual news about some new laws.The question remains on the structural integrity as we dont enforce crash safety standards. Cars manufactured in India differs between their export and local versions as some components are skipped or compromized on the local variants. Renault was selling dusters with smaller airbags on their Indian variant. We dont really know which of the Indian cars are really safe even if we apply decade old standards from the US.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

I think a crash integral structure will become mandatory for all cars from end of 2018 in India (along with certain safety features like ABS, EBD etc.). I could see airbags becoming mandatory on vehicles costing more than 5L. Although the Nexon has lot of creature comforts along with decent ride & power, I haven't read anything mentioning about complying with crash norms. Think dual airbags are standard on higher trims along with ABS+EBD safety features but I was hoping that underlying structure would be engineered to comply with upcoming crash norms. I doubt Tata will update the platform before end of next year (could happen but if I am a customer who bought Nexon just a year ago & current model is huge upgrade, I'd be pi$$ed with Tata).
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

It's about money really. Safer cars are more expensive. All the safety aids apart from crash worthy designs hike up the cost leading to lower sales especially in the entry level and the segment immediately above that which are the biggest sales number generating segments. Car companies don't want that and push the govt to relax or postpone stricter safety standards. Loss of jobs in the sector is not what the govt wants. "Kashtam"er wants bang for buck, paisa vasool and music system and keyless entry and no airbags even if he won't survive a 40kmph head on collision within city limits. So everyone is happy while we have 30,000 deaths each year. But hey population control indian style.
Tata nexon tops out at nearly 10l. Only two air bags in front.
Last edited by Prasad on 28 Oct 2017 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Just look at bharat stage six hungama and listen to auto manufacturers whine and whine and gadkaris statements over it and the new auto bill.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Prasad wrote:....
Tata nexon tops out at nearly 10l. Only two air bags in front.
Other than ecosport, all the cars in that segment are in similar boat :(
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Nexon SUV & Tiago hatchback help Tata Motors beat Honda in India
Tata Motors has beaten Honda yet again. Tata sold 16,475 cars in October 2017 while Honda could sell only 14,234 cars in the same period. The Nexon compact SUV and the Tiago hatchback are propelling Tata ahead. This is the second consecutive month that Tata has beaten Honda in sales, to become the fourth largest car maker in India.
http://www.cartoq.com/nexon-suv-tiago-h ... -in-india/
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

An article dissing Tesla's EV programme(model 3). The comments are interesting too.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/12 ... tesla.html
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Driving the future: This startup is already powering India's electric vehicle dream

Elon Musk may still be contemplating about entering the Indian market and car makers like Maruti Suzuki, Honda, Ford, and others talk about having their first electric car in India by around 2020, but a Hyderabad-based startup has raced ahead.

Gayam Motor Works (GMW) is not making a sedan, SUV or a sports car, but what it has been able to achieve in a short span of time with limited resources is nothing short of being remarkable. GMW is the first company in the world to develop a electric three-wheeler with Li-Ion battery, with a battery swapping system. Everything in the last sentence puts Gayam in a very unique position

What makes Gayam unique is the fact it has mastered battery swapping technology, a process where you swap a drained battery with a fully charged one. It may sound simple, but it is a complex process, something that even Tesla has only tested and not made commercially available. When you swap batteries you have to ensure that everything electronic that is powered by the battery does not reset.

Secondly, unlike a conventional car where the battery powers only the auxiliary systems, in an electric everything, including the drive-train is powered by the battery.

This means more wires, connectors etc. that need to be connected precisely each time a battery is swapped. What helps Gayam is the fact that the battery powering the SmartAuto is relatively small and two individuals can carry out the process.The battery swapping technology reduces the vehicle refueling time from hours (of charging time) to less than a minute.

"Years of R&D went into developing GMW's proprietary battery technology and management system, to make it suitable for Indian road and weather conditions" says Bavirisetty.

GMW SmartAuto is almost as powerful as a diesel auto- rickshaw. Its high power motor can go up to a maximum speed of 55kmph and can take a load of 500kg. The vehicle's running cost is as low as Rs 0.50/km and offers a range of up to 110kms per charge

Gayam has sold more than 5000 vehicles till date to more than 15 countries, including Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, USA, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, and the Philippines.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

The thing is Indians care little for safety. This isn’t restricted to the auto sector. This can be seen everywhere from electric devices in homes with live wires hanging to people crossing tracks in stations etc.

Indians call this juggad or something but I call it stingy and lazy. Whether one wants to admit it or not, price is everything. In India safety features in a car are optional items. This isn’t the case in developed countries.

Also as far as maruti is concerned, it is so popular because of not just the initial lower cost but also lower maintenance costs. Any component is available for cheaper and everywhere.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Inspired by this post, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7610&start=280#p2241422

and with Gadkari sir setting 2030 as the target for all EVs in India, is there any spadework done for lithium resources? else its all imports while China exports much like cell phone market
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Narendra Modi's Make in India just received one hell of a boost from Lexus
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 079697.cms
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

All Govt. Officials To Use Electric Vehicles In The National Capital!
Power Ministry has ordered all central government departments and Public Sector Units located in the National Capital to only use electric vehicles from now on. Govt wants 30% of all vehicles to be electric by 2030, and this announcement related to the mandatory use of electric vehicles is a big push. This rule mandates all travel to be in electric mode, within NCR.
As per reports coming in, Power Ministry has already placed an order of 10,000 electric vehicles, which would be now used by Govt. babus, and PSUs. This order has been placed by Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL), which is a JV of all PSUs working under the Power Ministry.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Isnt that the EESL tender that Tata won?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

2030 target has been changed from 100% EV to 30% EV now - challenging but realistic.

ppl need to be incentivised to buy EV perhaps with a full or partial waiver of taxes which add upto to a lot in india, and some guarantee of battery being recycled by OEM. that will incentivise vendors to produce EV variants of mainstream cars not niches like mahindra eeco etc.

also construction industry will need to shift to providing EV charging points in building basement car parking from the outset and SEB billing models change to 2 meters per sub .... these are actually harder than car industry changes. individual homes are ok and will be the lead wave.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Singha wrote: ppl need to be incentivised to buy EV perhaps with a full or partial waiver of taxes which add upto to a lot in india
I am in full support of EVs but we have to look at govt finances more closely before taxation is changed. Currently, fuel tax provides a larger amount to the govt. Reducing tax on EVs will be a double whammy. Govt. will lose revenue on EVs as well as fuel.

I think the better way to encourage is to make the charging infrastructure available. Why don't they allow anybody and everybody with electric connection to offer charging facility. India has always progressed very rapidly when the Govt. did not intervene and producers were free to innovate products. Remember the Shampoo packets, mobile phone recharging, dish tv service (I grew up in area where there was very little tv signal, the antennas where 60 ft tall and still bad picture. Then the private dishes arrived and overnight the scene changed), etc. Just let people offer electrical outlet from their house, their shop, etc. Right now the biggest problem is that only the authorized electric company can sell electricity in India. Let people sell it too. They may use the grid or create a microgrid to offer charge. I have some inherited land which is not very productive, but it is close to highway. I would love to set up a solar plant and then offer Electric Pump (like a highway petrol pump), that can charge 80% battery in less than an 1/2 hour. 30 minute, use rest room, have some chai pakoda, and off you go. How about that!!! People in India are very entrepreneurial. They take care of themselves if govt (and the bloody bureaucrats) stop poking their noses.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Uttam wrote:
Singha wrote: ppl need to be incentivised to buy EV perhaps with a full or partial waiver of taxes which add upto to a lot in india
I am in full support of EVs but we have to look at govt finances more closely before taxation is changed. Currently, fuel tax provides a larger amount to the govt. Reducing tax on EVs will be a double whammy. Govt. will lose revenue on EVs as well as fuel.
But our fuel imports will also go down heavily, so will pollution. 30% till is not only realistic but I'd say a little underwhelming. 50% is realistic. When India takes to an idea, it doesn't stop. See cellphones and internet for example.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted.
Supratik wrote:No 4 automobile market now.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 438236.cms

Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Impressive how Maruti has been able to regain the 50% marketshare, which fell to under 40% five years ago.

Maruti Suzuki grabs 50% market share in passenger vehicles segment
Maruti, India’s biggest car maker, also sold more than 1.5 million units for the first time in its over-threedecade history.

At 1.65 million, Maruti’s sales were 14% more than the year before, and almost twice the pace of the passenger vehicles industry.

Maruti Suzuki chairman RC Bhargava said the company’s investment in diesel technology when the fuel was much cheaper than petrol, as well as in new models and sales network helped it gain market share.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I feel though Indian customers are taken for ride through VFM pricing, good value for existing car etc. But thier cars have gone back to Esteem category weights, I think too much safety is being comprismised in thier leading Sales volumes
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

BEML Launches Make-In-India Electric Dump Truck, Weighs 335 Tonnes.

BEML Limited, a public sector company under the Ministry of Defense and a premier manufacturer of Mining & Construction equipment, has launched an indigenously designed & developed nation’s first 205T Electric Drive Rear Dump Truck (Model BH205-E), under the 'Make in India' initiative of the Hon’ble Prime Minister.

At a function held at Mysore, Deepak Kumar Hota, CMD, BEML and P. K. Sinha, CMD, Northern Coalfields Limited (NCL), flagged off the equipment, for its use in NCL Project. BH205E is an electric drive rear dump truck for large scale mining operations. Indigenously designed and developed BH205E Dump Truck is powered by Tier-II emission compliant Modular Common Rail Electronic Engine with 2300 HP.

BEML Officials flagging off electric truck.

The AC drive system has been engineered to provide exceptional haul road performance with reduced maintenance. This Dump Truck is environmental friendly in relation to mechanical drive due to its superior efficiency. State of the art AC drive system has been engineered for best in class efficiency and reliability. Consumption of transmission oil, final drive and brake cooling oil are eliminated reducing the environmental impact over its life cycle.

The dump truck weighs 335 Tons when fully loaded but is easily maneuverable with power-steering and short turning radius. Emphasis has been accorded to operators comfort while designing the machine and it has an ergonomically designed dash board and tiltable telescopic steering wheel. Other salient features of the truck include good visibility in addition to safety features with provisions for emergency steering, breaking and proximity warning.

“With the introduction of this new generation Dump Truck, BEML has touched another milestone in its R&D efforts in achieving self-reliance, enhanced productivity in mining operations and increased production, apart from optimizing costs. BEML acknowledges the encouragement being provided by CIL & its subsidiary for Make In India policy of GoI” said Shri Hota, CMD, BEML.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Don't know where to put this in. A knee-jerk policy of banning new private vehicles registration for the next two years in Bangalore is being considered by State Govt to curb ever growing traffic issue on BLR roads and also to mitigate air pollution.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/ ... 891743.amp

Posting it in full...
Bangalore: Government mulls banning registration of new vehicles, experts say it might flop

BENGALURU: A proposal to ban registration of all new vehicles for the next two years has received mixed reactions from the traffic experts and public. This is being considered by Deputy Chief Minister G Parameshwara, who is also the Bengaluru Development Minister.Traffic expert Ashish Verma, associate professor, transport engineering laboratory, civil engineering department, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), said that though calling for a ban is a good idea, the plan won’t work unless worked out with various other combination of solutions.

“The number of private vehicles is increasing every year by at least 5 per cent, and this is a major source of traffic congestion. But this ban will work only if it is coupled with other steps,” Verma said.
He added that it will be hypocrisy on the government’s part if it continues its elevated corridor project where it is making roads for the use of more vehicles.

Stressing the fact that banning registrations might not be a necessary one, Ashwin Mahesh, civic expert said that for any policy like this one, the government has to think two steps further on how to make it work. “If this ban is implemented then the public will definitely react to the policy. The government should then be ready to handle the after-effects such as registrations done outside the city or state. This will just lead to faster urbanisation of the areas,” he explained.

Instead, there are many other options which could be worked out to ease traffic congestion. The government can think about the registration process, which exists in countries such as Shanghai, says Verma. “Registrations of vehicles could happen like it is done in Shanghai where the system for allocating number plates is through lottery. This system, however, has its glitches but has worked beautifully in helping the number of vehicles,” Verma said.

Srikanth H Malimath, a software engineer with HCL, said, “It is difficult if the registrations of new vehicles is banned. It is easy to put this ban but what are the options the government is giving us? That needs to be worked on first before banning new vehicles.”

Dealing with city’s chronic nightmare: Traffic

Even as people grapple with never-ending traffic jams, there are new proposals being mulled by the government. Two experts, Professor Ashish Verma and Ashwin Mahesh, speak to TNIE on best possible solutions to handle city’s traffic woes.

FOCUS ON EXTENDING METRO
Instead of marketing bad solutions like elevated corridors and pod taxis as wonderful systems, the government should extend Metro rail network. For a city like this, there has to be 200 to 250km of Metro but we don’t have that. Cities like London and Paris have this with almost the same kind of population. Also, the mindset seems to be that “we will provide you a world-class facility. But once you step out of your station, how you manage to get to your destination is your headache”. This needs to change.

PROVIDE E-RICKSHAW SERVICES
If you get a system in place, you can run autorickshaws as feeder systems of shared basis a an affordable price. E-rickshaws will provide excellent door-to-door service. Instead of complaining about more cars, if you provide quality ridership options that are more attractive, people will definite shift.

Make way for pedestrians
Footpath infrastructure is terrible. One can learn from cities like Zurich. The trams in Zurich are an example of public transport providing almost end-to-end connectivity. We need to demand such facilities. Connect every 60 feet road to another making it easy for people to walk. Have separate cycling tracks and encourage cycling.

SHOULD INVEST IN ITS CITY’S BUSES
For a population of one crore, we have 6,500 buses. There should be 120 buses for one lakh people. So the total fleet should be 14,000. Moreover, public buses in American countries reach places that aren’t covered by their rail system. It should think of fare scheme like Hopper, which allows passengers to get on another bus for free within an hour after the beginning of their first ride.

GESTION TAX is the key
Private vehicles should be discouraged by high parking fees and a congestion tax. While cities world over have made parking prohibitively expensive to discourage car use, it remains low or free in Bengaluru. Another significant move, but a political hot potato, is the introduction of a congestion tax, which seeks to discourage private vehicles from entering popular routes. This will also generate revenue worth hundreds of millions of rupees.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

This Mumbai Duo Has Developed A Battery For Electric Vehicles That Charges In Only 15 Minutes.

While most of the auto industry is in pursuit of batteries for electric vehicles (EVs) that run longer and charge faster, a Mumbai-based startup that goes by the name of Gegadyne Energy, claims to have come up with a battery that can charge within 15 minutes. With this, the novel battery also aims to make the EVs more affordable for the users.

The technology is currently awaiting its patent approval and according to Jubin Varghese, co-founder and CEO of the company, is more efficient as well as scalable than the prevalent lithium-ion batteries.

So how is it different?

Now in case you are wondering what is so special about this battery technology that makes it more efficient than the Li-ion ones, it is the way in which energy is stored within the battery. While Li-ion batteries store energy in an electrochemical manner, the new batteries by Gegadyne Energy do the same in a “combination of the electrostatic and electrochemical process”. This results in around 50 times longer battery cycle as well as faster charging time in comparison.

For all of this, the battery uses supercapacitors which boasts of a quick charging capability in combination with the high energy density of conventional batteries. Varghese further explains that the concepts of electrostatic charge storage & Faraday reaction are used in this.

How does it help?

Lithium-ion batteries are the most preferred ones for electric vehicles as of now. But the problem with the rise of EVs is that fact that the consumption of Lithium and the associated elements, Cobalt for one, has been ever increasing, so much so that sheer number of EVs demand around 50 percent of the Li-ion batteries in the world.

That also means that going forward, there will be an increasing pressure on the limited availability of the elements. This, and the fact that the Li-ion batteries take a lot of time to charge on a normal charger, auto makers have increasingly been focusing upon alternatives for the same.

At a time like this, such battery technology by Gegadyne Energy can really catch up with the automotive world and might as well act as the catalyst to achieve the ideal scenario with the electric vehicles, where the range of the EVs is higher than the present and the charging times lower.

This is not the only battery tech boasting of such results though. Many firms have actively been involved in looking at solid-state batteries as a viable alternative to Li-ion ones. Another potential alternative are the metal-air batteries, which are also being worked upon by another Indian startup named Log9. The company has come up with a Graphene-based battery that refuels with water and required a simple change of an Aluminium sheet to rework. The optimisation of the battery is currently underway.

Recently, BMW also unveiled its latest research project that involved a super fast charger that could recharge a Li-ion battery within 3 minutes flat. Its effect on battery though, with such high speeds of charging, is yet to be figured for the commonly used Li-ion batteries in EVs.

The costs

A big plus of the battery by Gegadyne Energy is the fact that it is at par in cost as the Li-ion ones and as it scales, the team expects it to be much more feasible. This can potentially lead to a considerable price slash in the production of EVs, considering that Li-ion batteries account for up to 40 percent of a vehicle’s production cost.

Varghese says, “A large chunk of the purchase price of an EV today is the battery. Therefore, India can potentially rise to the top in the battery manufacturing industry. Not only is this economically feasible, but also sustainable."

The company plans to make the batteries commercially available by 2020, as by then, Varghese expects more players and more technology around EVs to come into the picture. Working prototypes and battery packs, verified by a third-party are already in place and the team expects to enter the pilot production of the battery cell in India within next 12 months.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

This is some thing new, i think no prototype yet, is it even possible?
https://www.financialexpress.com/auto/c ... n/1346471/

Cars fuelled by water, aluminium developed in India! All about IIT’s new innovation

It does get better, the students who developed this car running on water says that it will give a range of 1,000 kms on a single charge and would require 1L of water every 300 kilometres. Once you cross the 1,000 km mark, the aluminium plate has to be replaced and the whole process will not take more than 15 minutes. These plates cost about Rs 5000 and as the demand goes up, the cost is likely to go down in future. The car is still in its project stages and tests are being conducted to see its commercial viability.

The technology behind Car's running on water:

Further, it explains that the process of running the car using water as a fuel is based on the simple fuel cell technology that uses electrochemical reaction to produce electricity. The metal plate inside along with Graphene rod is used and water helps to carry the ions to the respective positive and negative nods. The produced energy is during the process is used by the electric motor to drive the car. The design is indeed innovative and the IITians are confident that these batteries will have a longer run.
From another source
https://www.thehindu.com/business/Indus ... 532569.ece

Aluminium and water are fuel for this electric vehicle :

Wonder material

Log 9’s secret sauce is its experience and expertise in ‘graphene’ which is one million times thinner than paper and forms graphite or pencil lead when stacked together. The material, which is 200 times stronger than steel, holds promise for the next generation batteries due to its properties. Log 9 said its battery enables the car to run on a simple fuel cell technology that uses electrochemical reaction to produce electricity. But there is a ‘graphene rod’ along the metal plate that generates electricity with water as its base for the chemical reaction. The electricity thus generated is sent to an electric motor that drives the car.

Investors are taking note of the potential of Log 9’s innovation and have so far invested $1 million in the firm. “After the live demos of hydrogen fuel cells installed and running in an off the shelf car, I [will] be surprised if more than one OEM does not come knocking on their doors shortly and help each other in commercialisation of an EV that makes economic sense,” said Hemant Luthra, chairman of auto component supplier Mahindra CIE and an angel investor in Log 9.

Mr. Singhal of Log 9 said the company was now in the process of raising $10 million from venture capital firms, which would help it to commercialise the product in India, U.S. and Europe. “We want to break the mindset that such technologies cannot be developed in India,” he said.
I think these guys find out a way to get power from Aluminum reaction with oxide ions as well as the Hydrogen gas and how to reduce anode degradation.

Seems like an interesting concept and can solve many problems in our country, if it become viable.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

After all the bashing from us, the new nexon (starting Dec 9th or so) has scored 5 star in global NCAP whilst the earlier iteration scored 4 star along with Zest, Morazzo, Etioa and Brezza.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Soon, your car may become almost theft proof, thanks to this new technology
ET Online|Mar 14, 2019, 12.16 PM IST

Soon, it would become almost impossible for car thieves to dispose off the stolen car even after dismantling. According to a ToI report, to stop car thefts, the government has approved a new technology called --Microdots-- that will make it almost impossible for lifter to remove the dots and make vehicles untraceable.

Microdots is a technology by which thousands of micro dots are sprayed over the body of vehicle. These small laser-etched dots contain nano-size (0.5 mm) particles that carry information like unique number and vehicle identification number.
The dots can be seen by using ultraviolet light and since the dots are sprayed throughout the vehicle body, it becomes easy to trace the vehicle as even a small part of the dismantled car can be used to trace the stolen vehicle. Even if the car has been dismantled completely the identity of the vehicle and the owner can be traced by scanning a small part of the vehicle. The technology is widely used in several counties including South Africa and the US.

South Africa has even made it mandatory to have microdot fitted to all new vehicles sold since September 2012.
As per ToI report, India highest automobile technical standard making body, CMVR-TSC has finalised the standard in its meeting last month and soon a notification will be issued to roll-out this technology in India. The government plans to roll out the technology as an optional system initially and the price of this feature is likely to be around Rs 1,000.
Four-wheeler vehicles like car, truck or bus would require at least 10,000 microdots, while at least 5,000 such dots would be needed for two-wheeler. The manufacturers would have to ensure that the dots remain readable for at least 15 years after fitment.

In 2016, about 2.1 lakh vehicles were stolen across the country with Delhi topping the list at 38,644, which translates to over 100 vehicles daily. Most of the vehicles stolen go untraced since auto-lifters take out the engines and other valuable parts before destroying the vehicles.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... content=23
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Auto cos can now buy bulk vehicle registration data

BY PTI | MAR 14, 2019, 08.18 AM IST

To 'support' the automobile industry, the government has come out with a policy where organisations and researchers can buy bulk data pertaining to vehicle registrations on an annual basis.

Eligible bodies can purchase the data for Rs 3 crore from the next fiscal and would be required to ensure strict security steps to prevent its theft or transfer, according to the policy approved by the government. Violation of data, the policy warns, will result in action under the IT Act and other applicable laws besides debarring the agency from access to this data for a period of three years.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 401870.cms