Artillery: News & Discussion

ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Artillery Discussion Thread

Post by ramana »

nam wrote:It is not possible to have this capability at under 12 tons. They might be able to reduce 2-3 ton, but I doubt it can be brought to 12 ton. Unless they start using titanium similar to M777.

The 12 ton weight is from Bofors. As usual, the requirement must have been "need better than bofors, but equal/less than bofor's weight ".

If IA wants 12 ton for deploying in areas, where 18 ton cannot go, then it has Dhanush. So it will be a balance of ATAGS, Dhanush & M777.

I hope its not used as 'less than minimum rage for LAHAT' to nix the ATAGS.

How will you get a 155mm 52 caliber gun weigh less than 12 tons?

Using titanium jacks up the cost tremendously. Its expensive and very difficult to machine.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

A larger caliber gun would always be bigger and heavier to withstand larger stress loads coming from higher pressures and longer residence times. It was IA that has decided to standardize all its artillery to 155mm and 52 caliber for bulk of it’s gun.

It won’t be a big deal to downgrade the caliber and make a lighter boforse size gun weighing 12 tons. Ohh wait it already exists - it’s called Dhanush!!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

are we going to have a truck mounted howitzer contest for some 1500 gori chamri new things or run with towed guns now coming online (atags,dhanush,m777) plus the costly k9 vajra for the armour corps?

it seems to me we could integrate the dhanush onto a large truck ourselves using domestic capability and build out on that? the first iteration might not so soothing and 'polished' as the archer but it will get there, and unleash a lot of hell downrange

there is no need for more corruption, more gori chamri, more dalals with a global tender for truck howitzers.
Ashutosh Malik
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh Malik »

Thanks Mr. Kapoor.
Akshay Kapoor wrote:
Ashutosh Malik wrote:Dear Mr. Akshay Kapoor,

I think you deleted my comment, made earlier, in response to the post you made about not tolerating anyone calling army officers jokers.

At least I am not able to find my comment after having searched for it a few times already, yesterday and today. Or it seems to have mysteriously disappeared. And I did not take a screenshot too.

-------

Best regards,
Ashutosh Malik
Thank you for your sensible and reasoned post. I did in fact delete your comment and to be fair I also deleted my own comment which your comment was a reaction to because I did not want any derailing of the discussion. Your comment was OT. It was also in response to a discussion between two moderators - myself and Ramana and its best kept that way without interference. But you are quite right - I should have informed you it was deleted especially as it was not an abusive post by any standards. The problem Mr Malik is that everyone is not reasonable like yourself. Its almost a lynch mob here sometimes and that has to be stopped by decisive action.

People seem to protect their rights to comment and abuse much more than exercise their obligation to post with content. A conscious decision has been taken on the forum to improve the quality to discussion and that will be maintained. Please take any complaints to the feedback thread. Thanks.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Singha wrote:are we going to have a truck mounted howitzer contest for some 1500 gori chamri new things or run with towed guns now coming online (atags,dhanush,m777) plus the costly k9 vajra for the armour corps?

it seems to me we could integrate the dhanush onto a large truck ourselves using domestic capability and build out on that? the first iteration might not so soothing and 'polished' as the archer but it will get there, and unleash a lot of hell downrange

there is no need for more corruption, more gori chamri, more dalals with a global tender for truck howitzers.
Inshallah, the domestic program will meet all arty requirements and we will be self sufficient in all respects.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is Denel still on the s**tlist? tata power had mounted a denel gun way back in 2012 and done some testing to bid for the trucked gun project...
http://defenceforumindia.com/tatas-155- ... ystem-1072
pictures in the link.

Kalyani has tied up with mandur systems to offer the 105mm ... instead of just feeding OFB, we should ensure both models of ATAGS are offered into production or having the losing bidder among tata/bharat forge make an equal number of the winning gun - we need multiple OEMs and multiple lines.

likewise the trucked gun should be given out in portions to all domestic bidders to manufacture.

just OFB getting to eat the malai defeats the whole purpose of inviting pvt industry into defence to build scale. their planned production rate of dhanush gun against confirmed orders is very weak imo
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Yep. Nobody is off that list.
We could get these private firms to get started on an unmanned/optionally manned SP howitzer for the future based on whatever tech they can repurpose for this. Light/medium/heavy versions too for hills, plains, Tibet :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

DDG51 ships seem built by multiple shipyards (bath iron works and ingalls) if one keeps count...these huge hulls are churned out like bread.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Since Tata has integrated the Denel gun on their truck, I am expecting them to bring out a truck mounted ATAGS. Their experience with the Denel gun helped them in ATAGS.

It would be a low hanging fruit. Maybe BF gets the towed contract and Tata gets truck mounted.

Can't wait to see our artillery upgraded to medium. A 2000+ 155 MM & required shell production would put fear of god even in the heart of the bravest abdul.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The biggest gain from ATAGS has been how the technology ecosystem has been built. A top notch artillery tech is now been shared with two Indian companies, who can now go to town in the international market.

This is the format that needs to be followed.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

once we have ATAGS / Dhanush in numbers, just sit within our borders and raze all villages and towns within 50 kms of the border/LOC.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

during the oder-vistula front thing, with two giant soviet shock armies poised to deal the final blow to the reich, the zhukov and konev army groups wheeled in unheard of amounts of artillery to POUND fortified areas like the zeelow heights.
it seems divisional commanders were worried that even 400 guns per 1km of frontage for the 10km wide belts selected for the breakthroughs was not enough :twisted:

#like #inflictpain
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

OFB upgrades 130-mm field guns, eyes order from Army.

The Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) today said it had successfully upgraded the 130-mm field guns to 155 mm capability at its Nalanda facility in Bihar and was expecting an order for 300 such guns from the Army.

The Kolkata-headquartered State defence manufacturer had successfully completed the user evaluation of 130/155 mm "upgunning" and was likely to receive orders for the upgradation of 300 artillery guns from the Army, OFB Chairman S K Chourasia said.

"The cost of a new 155-mm artillery gun comes to around Rs 15 crore, while the upgradation has been done for just Rs one crore for each, thus saving the exchequer a lot of money," he told newspersons here.

The upgradation, involving the changing of the barrel, would mean an increase in the range of the field gun from around 27 kms to 36 kms, an OFB official explained.

Chourasia said the OFB-offered, 100-per cent indigenous solution had emerged successful against private competitors fielding imported equipment from leading global manufacturers in this field.

"We are likely to receive orders for the upgunning of 300 such 130-mm guns to 155-mm ones," the OFB chairman said. (If the upgrade can be done at just one crore a piece then why upgrade only 300? we have 800+ 130 MM guns, why not upgun them all to rationalize and save on logistics?)

OFB member (weapons, vehicles and equipment) Hari Mohan said the indigenous technological solution for upgunning the 130-mm field guns was achieved at the organisation's Nalanda facility and had emerged as the only acceptable offer to the armed forces' requirements.

Chourasia said research and development was being cultivated at the OFB's 13 ordnance development centres.

"With the assistance of premier academic institutions like the IITs at Mumbai, Kanpur and Kharagpur, the ordnance factories are not only upgrading the existing products, but also developing new weapon platforms," he added.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well the cumbersome size and low elevation of the 130mm field guns restricts their operational envelope. they are not howitzers. cannot hide and fire from reverse slopes.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Use them to blast Pakis on the border during 'peacetime'.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vips wrote:OFB upgrades 130-mm field guns, eyes order from Army.

The Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) today said it had successfully upgraded the 130-mm field guns to 155 mm capability at its Nalanda facility in Bihar and was expecting an order for 300 such guns from the Army.

The Kolkata-headquartered State defence manufacturer had successfully completed the user evaluation of 130/155 mm "upgunning" and was likely to receive orders for the upgradation of 300 artillery guns from the Army, OFB Chairman S K Chourasia said.

"The cost of a new 155-mm artillery gun comes to around Rs 15 crore, while the upgradation has been done for just Rs one crore for each, thus saving the exchequer a lot of money," he told newspersons here.

The upgradation, involving the changing of the barrel, would mean an increase in the range of the field gun from around 27 kms to 36 kms, an OFB official explained.

Chourasia said the OFB-offered, 100-per cent indigenous solution had emerged successful against private competitors fielding imported equipment from leading global manufacturers in this field.

"We are likely to receive orders for the upgunning of 300 such 130-mm guns to 155-mm ones," the OFB chairman said. (If the upgrade can be done at just one crore a piece then why upgrade only 300? we have 800+ 130 MM guns, why not upgun them all to rationalize and save on logistics?)

OFB member (weapons, vehicles and equipment) Hari Mohan said the indigenous technological solution for upgunning the 130-mm field guns was achieved at the organisation's Nalanda facility and had emerged as the only acceptable offer to the armed forces' requirements.

Chourasia said research and development was being cultivated at the OFB's 13 ordnance development centres.

"With the assistance of premier academic institutions like the IITs at Mumbai, Kanpur and Kharagpur, the ordnance factories are not only upgrading the existing products, but also developing new weapon platforms," he added.
I have highlighted what I felt are the important notes.

This is huge as earlier upgraded 130mm had muzzle strike too during trials.

And this is a new facility at Nalanda that is doing the work in addition to GCF.

Also note the new emphasis on R&D and tie up with 3 IITs.

I soon expect the PGK fuze for trials.

Its possible this 300 is just early tranche.

one advantage I can see is this modified gun in direct fire mode will take out many battle field targets.

it maybe a good idea to have a purchasing mission to buy up any extra 130mm guns in the market world wide.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Time to build a turret around dhanush and put it on arjun hull.

Order 300 and start license manufacture of the engine.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha wrote:well the cumbersome size and low elevation of the 130mm field guns restricts their operational envelope. they are not howitzers. cannot hide and fire from reverse slopes.
These Guns may not useful on LOC but free 155mm howitzers to be used on the LOC as they can be used in the Shakargarh Bulge and other plains areas.
One of the calculations of the Pakis when planning Kargil. They are very useful in Borders of Gujarat, Punjab and plains areas of Jammu.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Vips wrote:Check from 0:50:00 onwards on the link below. Details about the 130 mm gums being upgraded to 155 mm system by OFB Nalanda factory. It has been named Sharang. Has max range of 40 Km's if fired from an angle of 45 Degrees. The Army has given order for 300 Guns (to be delivered in 4 years with first year delivery at 3 guns).Weight 8245kg. Barrel life 650 rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ47qnrY6Wc
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Singha wrote:well the cumbersome size and low elevation of the 130mm field guns restricts their operational envelope. they are not howitzers. cannot hide and fire from reverse slopes.
The 130mm field guns were used from the base camp in Siachen. During the 1987 Bilafondla conflict, the 130mm guns were used extensively. One of them burst due to the extensive firing and the gun crew was lost. Later the Bofors was inducted into the base camp.

This photo shows how the elevation problem is handled :-)

Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Akhand Dandavat Pranaam to the brave Indian soldiers. Not complaining and making do with lower caliber guns with huge limitations compared to 155 mm guns aided with AN/TPQ WLR's situated on favorable heights from the Pakistani side and still emerging victorious.

Imagine the huge manual effort that would go in placing a 8 ton gun on such uneven incline angles.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

^^^ iirc the guns were disassembled lifted up by helicopter and then reassembled.

The guns often are lost after few years when mounted atop snow pack due to unsustainable peaking effect (uneven snow melt).
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

My post is for when the soldiers have to do the jugaad of moving the guns to comparative higher grounds for achieving incline to overcome the 45 degree max elevation limit.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The numerous muzzle strikes and one barrel burst, have intrigued me to study the literature on the phenomenon and try to understand what is going on. It took me about 6 months to get there.

The final summary post is linked below on Page 101:

viewtopic.php?p=2254872#p2254872

Hope this muzzle strike phenomenon is a thing of the past and get on to making more guns and bash the Pakis.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vips wrote:
Vips wrote:Check from 0:50:00 onwards on the link below. Details about the 130 mm gums being upgraded to 155 mm system by OFB Nalanda factory. It has been named Sharang. Has max range of 40 Km's if fired from an angle of 45 Degrees. The Army has given order for 300 Guns (to be delivered in 4 years with first year delivery at 3 guns).Weight 8245kg. Barrel life 650 rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ47qnrY6Wc
The 130 mm gun carriage has a direct fire capability. Soviets had anti-tank role for all their guns.
Wonder is there is plan to have a penetrator shell for this upgraded 155mm/45 calibers gun.
Even a delayed fuze would do the trick.
That would put an end to tall those bunkers/wunkers built by Pak..
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Did we hear anything about the M777 resolution?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

ramana wrote:Did we hear anything about the M777 resolution?
Should it be any different from the Fh 77 solution. As they're both NATO compatible guns.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yes. The US team had blamed the OFB shells and had brought in instrument shells for a test firing to be conducted last month.

So my question was what is the update from that?

US has a clever solution. They have a instrumented plug with radial and axial accelerometers and a couple of pressure sensors that fits in the fuze well. It has patch antennas that transmit the data from these sensors.

BTW I don't see how BAE can blame the OFB shells which are made to NATO standards. The whole work package we have gone through numerous times in these pages only.
And OFB has fired quite a few shells from the Dhanush (45 calibers vs 39 calibers for M777) at max charge and found no issues.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Congratulations to the IA ! The day these first 10 K-9 Vajras are delivered to the IA will mark a historic day for the IA.

Credit: Livefist

First L&T Hanwha Techwin K9 Vajra-T 155 mm SPH
Seen in final Indian Army skin for the 1st time, an L&T-Hanwha Techwin K9 Vajra-T 155mm gun. First 10 ready for delivery soon. Seen here during final integration at L&T Hazira, Gujarat facility.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Kartik, that is beautiful. Thank You!
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

They had been laying very low profile , and on time delivery I must say that. I had posted earlier that if ATAGS /Dhanush orders are finalized 2019-20 onwards India will start getting ~100 artillery pieces every year. If napakis dont mend their ways, they will have to get used to getting solid jhappads from these every now and then
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

More images of K-9 Vajras on the assembly line at L&T's facility at Hazira, Gujarat.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thanks again Kartik. I like this camo better than the other one!
Amoghvarsha
BRFite

Post by Amoghvarsha »

ArjunPandit wrote:They had been laying very low profile , and on time delivery I must say that. I had posted earlier that if ATAGS /Dhanush orders are finalized 2019-20 onwards India will start getting ~100 artillery pieces every year. If napakis dont mend their ways, they will have to get used to getting solid jhappads from these every now and then
Pandit ji apun log kidhar lagayenge? Kidhar use hoga ye?
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Rakesh wrote:Thanks again Kartik. I like this camo better than the other one!
You mean you like the dark green versus the one with the pattern that I posted first?

It looks like they go through paint shop at the end, so those K-9s will likely also get the camouflage pattern like the first one. Its better in terms of breaking the shape than an all-dark green colour.

Anyway, I think the K-9 Vajra is one handsome beast.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Amoghvarsha wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:They had been laying very low profile , and on time delivery I must say that. I had posted earlier that if ATAGS /Dhanush orders are finalized 2019-20 onwards India will start getting ~100 artillery pieces every year. If napakis dont mend their ways, they will have to get used to getting solid jhappads from these every now and then
...........poof............deletd upon moderator comments
Last edited by ArjunPandit on 10 Apr 2018 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Kartik wrote:More images of K-9 Vajras on the assembly line at L&T's facility at Hazira, Gujarat.

Simply super to see the pvt sector equivalent of Avadi (pretty soon). Waiting now to see LCA and AMCA rolling out of Pvt sector plants.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Amoghvarsha wrote:
ATAGS ya Vajra. In my opinion, everything apart from K10 will see initial activitiy in J&K. Can't comment on specific sectors as I myself dont know myself. Deejay/Akshay Kapoor/Ramana/shiv sir can talk specifics. As for K10, I think in desert and plains. Will be happy to learn from them
Please do not reveal exact (or even guesstimates) locations of weaponry.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Are those actually built by L&T or are they the first set of fully built/knocked down kits imported from SoKo? The K9 deal was finalized only a few months ago.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The guns look good in olive. Only beef with this project is the small numbers ordered.

Personal wish would be to have one regiment of these guns attached with every mechanised infantry brigade and armoured brigade for operations.

But will take it however it is employed by the IA.