Cambridge Analytica and Next Color Revolutions India

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jaysimha
BRFite

Re: Cambridge Analytics and Next Color Revolutions India

Post by jaysimha »

Ministry of Electronics & IT
Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology press release on Cambridge Analytica
Posted On: 23 MAR 2018 8:08PM by PIB Delhi
There have been reports in the media regarding misuse of data about individuals obtained from social media platform Facebook and utilizing it for unauthorized activities without the consent of the users.

The Government is deeply concerned about such developments and is committed to ensure the protection of the fundamental right of privacy and safety and security of data for every citizen of India. There have also been imputations that such data could also have been used to influence the behavior of individuals. While the Government is cognizant of the positive role played by social media in promoting awareness and acting as a tool for social cohesion and empowerment; breach of privacy cannot be tolerated. In this regard it is pertinent to observe that the CEO of Facebook, Mr. Mark Zuckerberg has apologized for the mistakes his company had made in handling data belonging to its users, and has promised tougher steps to restrict access to such information. There are other downstream players such as Cambridge Analytica and its alleged associates who have been reported to be involved in the data breach.

The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Government of India has issued a notice,in the first instance, to Cambridge Analytica, wherein the serious breach of propriety and misuse of data intended to profile and influence voting behaviorhas been highlighted. Reference has also been made to several accounts in the media reporting incidents of gross abuse of social media platform to influence the sanctity of polling process. Note has also been taken of alleged claims whereby elections in India were sought to be influenced through questionable means.

The fairness of Indian democracy and electoral process is a matter of pride and any attempt to influence the sanctity of the electoral franchise through dubious and questionable means is unacceptable. In particular, all intermediaries and their associates have the legal obligation to maintain security, confidentiality and sanctity of data and any unauthorized use of data can entail legal action.

Emphasizing these issues, the notice addressed to Cambridge Analytica seeks immediate response to the following questions;

i) Whether they have been engaged in any assignment to utilize data of Indians from the above cited breach?

ii) Who are the entities that have engaged them for the above?

iii) How did they come to be in possession of such data?

iv) Was consent taken from the individuals?

v) How such data collected was used?

vi) Was there any profiling done on the basis of such data?

The intermediaries cited above have been given time till 31st March 2018 to submit their responseson the above issues.

CERT-IN has issued Advisory Note CIAD-2018-0012 which lays down security best practices to be followed by social media users in order to safeguard personally identifiable information on social network sites.

NNK/GK

(Release ID: 1526264) Visitor Counter : 433
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sridhar K wrote:Chetak sir done but have very few followers

On the point about these things not being new, though very true, the time to influence today is very less and is getting lesser. Jallikattu protest is perhaps a great case study. Let us see how Anna Hazare fast spans out
Anna has always seemed like a trojan to me.

his endorsement of khukliwal was reckless, if not downright motivated.

After those many years in public life, one simply cannot pretend to be apolitical or socially naive.

Re: jallikattu, the hidden hand got exposed inadvertently and hence had to publically follow through on the next year's iteration of the same by " blessing " the jallikattu bulls publicly and attempting to assert ownership over an old and established majority oriented cultural celebration.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

rsingh wrote:Block FB 5 month prior to elections...........kissa khatam. So much jealousy among women folks ( about body, pose, clothing and travel pics) sala bheja kharab ho gaya.
How many people will delete their Facebook profile after this? Probably less than 5%.

It proves that people need their daily fix of dopamine, privacy can take a hike. The apathy is shocking.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

new London based data processing company arises from CA
The founders and funders of controversial election consultants Cambridge Analytica are behind a new company registered in London appearing to offer similar services.
Executives at Cambridge Analytica (CA) and parent company SCL Group registered Emerdata Limited as a data processing company last summer but they have since listed directors linked to private military contractors, secretive political meetings and the Trump administration.
Rebekah and Jennifer Mercer, daughters of the billionaire Robert Mercer who funded Cambridge Analytica, its parent company SCL Group and Donald Trump’s election campaign, were officially registered as directors of the company on Tuesday, the same day CA chief executive Alexander Nix was suspended from his role for comments made to journalists posing as prospective clients.

Channel 4 News broadcast footage on Monday which showed Mr Nix discussing entrapment, disinformation tactics and “fake IDs and websites” to influence elections.
Mr Nix and Julian Wheatland, the chairman of SCL Group, are listed as directors of Emerdata.
Companies House records show Mr Wheatland registered Emerdata last August, alongside CA’s chief data officer Alexander Tayler. Dr Tayler has since left the board of Emerdata but was appointed chief executive of Cambridge Analytica in Nix’s place.
Cambridge Analytica is at the centre of a row over their use of Facebook data, accused of harvesting personal information from more than 50 million accounts and using it to target them with political advertising which plays on their hopes and fears.
“If you’re collecting data on people and you’re profiling them, that gives you more insight that you can use to know how to segment the population, to give them messaging about issues that they care about, and language and imagery that they’re likely to engage with,” Dr Tayler said about his work at CA, in footage secretly filmed by Channel 4 News.
“We used that in America and we used that in Africa. That’s what we do as a company.”
Also named as a director of Emerdata is 66-year-old Hong Kong businessman Johnson Chun Shun Ko, a close associate of Erik Prince, founder of private military contractor Blackwater, which secured hundreds of millions in government contracts for private military operations during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Mr Ko serves as deputy chairman for Frontier Services Group Limited, a company which describes itself as a “Africa-focused security, aviation and logistics company” and is led by Mr Prince, its chairman.
Mr Prince is the brother of Donald Trump’s secretary of education Betsy DeVos, and is alleged to have met an ally of Russian president Vladimir Putin in the Seychelles in January 2017, nine days before the Mr Trump’s inauguration. The Washington Post described the meeting as “an apparent effort to establish a back-channel line of communication” between Moscow and the then president-elect.
Mr Prince and the White House deny he was representing the Trump transition team in any way. Mr Prince described the meeting as a chance encounter that had nothing to do with the president.
Two other directors with apparent links to the UK were also listed.
One, 29-year-old Ahmad Al-Khatib, was described as a citizen of the Seychelles living in England, who joined the company at the same time as Mr Ko.
The other was a 30-year-old woman with British citizenship living in Hong Kong called Cheng Peng.
Little is known about either Mr Al-Khatib’s or Ms Peng’s role or background.
Mr Nix, Mr Ko, Mr Al-Khatib and Ms Peng were all appointed directors of the company on January 23 2018. Companies House records also show there was an allotment of shares to the value of almost £2 million on the same day.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

I don’t see what the fuss is about? The issue here is the lack of privacy practiced by entities like FB and google. It’s they that should be taken to task. If data is available freely anyone can use it for analytics.

I don’t see the point in people complaining about the Congress starting to use technology when the BJP is the master of the same. Some people are so blind that they think only one party has the right to technology. Whatever ones political affiliations are any country needs a strong opposition. If not what you get is a dictatorship.

I for one disabled my FB account long back and only use google for search. :mrgreen: I don’t need to be informed that someone is having breakfast lunch n dinner. That’s what you get on FB :twisted:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the london offices of cambridge analytica were raided by the police last night. tons of materials taken away for analysis
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Lalmohan wrote:the london offices of cambridge analytica were raided by the police last night. tons of materials taken away for analysis
Looks like London has become like Delhi.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

^^^
There are still issues though such as can a foreign agent be hired to influence the outcome of Indian election? This foreign agent/s could be working for a enemy foreign govt. Couple these developments with the recently passed bill which allows foreign funding of political parties in India and we can kiss our sovereignty goodbye.

Wanted Congress defeated: Whistleblower reveals Cambridge Analytica's inside story
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Dipanker wrote:^^^
There are still issues though such as can a foreign agent be hired to influence the outcome of Indian election? This foreign agent/s could be working for a enemy foreign govt. Couple these developments with the recently passed bill which allows foreign funding of political parties in India and we can kiss our sovereignty goodbye.

Wanted Congress defeated: Whistleblower reveals Cambridge Analytica's inside story
When IG was at her weakest, the words "secular" was inserted thrust into the Indian constitution, just like it was done in nepal. Surely, this cannot be a coincidence or an event of mere chance. Especially, when it happens to the only two Hindu majority countries in the whole world.

There are dark powers at play in the background, maliciously waiting to seize their chances to meddle as and when such a chance presents itself.

They may have just spotted another opening and hence the foreign funding bill.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Not just weakest, but when Govs of each nation were under control of the Communists. Communists are the first globalist gang in the 20th century when both the Islam and EJ were not clearly in control of the things. While EJs were at the peak of their power they were still not in direct control of the Govs which they had in 18th centuries etc. Nationalism became a powerful tool which led nations to wars thereby weakening the EJ power and also weakening of the colonial power. So Nationalism needed to be demonised at any coast. We are seeing that all over the world now be it DT or Brexit.

Now the entire trade needed to be global, entire ideas needed to be global, open borders, nations shall not have any culture etc ie multiculturism. Social Media tools like FB etc now become powerful tools in this. They do not allow greater in-depth understanding of anything, they do not allow any anti-left ideas, they have all your data which they used to mould or control the public discourse and now even elections.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Well at least Congress won't be coming back to power in India. The ouroboros will consume itself. The assorted sycophants are still sticking with congress as they hope 2019 will dent Modis plan for India.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Yagnasri wrote:Not just weakest, but when Govs of each nation were under control of the Communists. Communists are the first globalist gang in the 20th century when both the Islam and EJ were not clearly in control of the things. While EJs were at the peak of their power they were still not in direct control of the Govs which they had in 18th centuries etc. Nationalism became a powerful tool which led nations to wars thereby weakening the EJ power and also weakening of the colonial power. So Nationalism needed to be demonised at any coast. We are seeing that all over the world now be it DT or Brexit.

Now the entire trade needed to be global, entire ideas needed to be global, open borders, nations shall not have any culture etc ie multiculturism. Social Media tools like FB etc now become powerful tools in this. They do not allow greater in-depth understanding of anything, they do not allow any anti-left ideas, they have all your data which they used to mould or control the public discourse and now even elections.
true that and that was indeed the crux.

What's up with you, Yagnasri ji??

Don't post as much as you used to??

Sab khariat to hai??
satya
BRFite

Post by satya »

panduranghari wrote:Well at least Congress won't be coming back to power in India. The ouroboros will consume itself. The assorted sycophants are still sticking with congress as they hope 2019 will dent Modis plan for India.
Congress is goldman sachs of india . One never short goldman sachs so goes mkt wisdom .
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

chetak wrote: true that and that was indeed the crux.

What's up with you, Yagnasri ji??

Don't post as much as you used to??

Sab khariat to hai??
Yes. Thank you. Other than useless office working which daily increase my BP, all is well. I am active elsewhere. I am also not posting or even visiting the new forum we started. I visit here regularly but since it is all defence-related things about which I do not know anything, I do not post other than asking mango questions. Whatever spare time is there trying to write the novel which I started long back. Starting I posted in GDF in politically incorrect fiction thread. But it is not coming up well. Relevant period information is quite confusing. Rest assured I am here.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

JTull wrote:I think the profile pages of BRFites should restrict visibility of historical posts. Perhaps limit it to 5 only.
Adminullahs, excellent and thoughtful suggestion.

I am considering dumping 1000 posts on my fB page with alternate ones praising Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton, my two favorite people. Maybe my hero John Bolton too since he is also a CA customer.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

today when my colleague and self were having lunch my friend got a call. the caller without identifying asked "are you having any issues in your area?" when he gave a list of problems in the area, the called asked, "are you pro BJP?" to which my friend got angry and blasted the person and the phone call got cut. he told me that recently he started posting a lot of pro BJP posts in FB and that is the reason he got the call. as per him one of his friend also got similar call.
looks like CA issue is true and still kicking in Mysore Karnataka. have any one seen such issue from any other part?
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Cambridge Analytica whistleblower says Congress was client in India
They (Cambridge Analytica) worked extensively in India. They have an office in India,” Wylie responded.

“I believe their client was Congress, but I know that they have done all kinds of projects. I don’t remember a national project but I know regionally. India’s so big that one state can be as big as Britain. But they do have offices there, they do have staff there,” the 28-year-old added, on being probed further.

He offered to provide the committee “documentation” on India, which was welcomed by Farrelly, who said India was a country that did not need any added “tensions”.
By any chance awardwapasi, intolerance all part of CA plan?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Even if it is not it can be linked to every so called "liberal/progressive" initiatives no.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

A fascinating interview with a FB executive and a Singaporean minister. Unbelievable that this SDRE is able to pin down the white Paki trying to squirm his way out of answering the questions. Long one, but IMHO well worth watching Shanmugam excoriate the defense of FB.

Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

madhu wrote:
By any chance awardwapasi, intolerance all part of CA plan?
That was just the beginning.

During and after the Gujarat elections last year the plan kicked into a higher gear. Targeted caste-based violence in Gujarat and Maharashtra. The ascension of specific (and brand-new) political leaders in Southern India who are now talking about "Dravidian" secession. The emergence of previously-unknown identity groups, such as the "Karni Sena", whose agitations were strategically timed to coincide with regional by-polls. The attempt to redefine Lingayats in Karnataka as a non-Hindu minority group. The open call by Churches in India to reject the BJP in the Northeastern state elections. The attempt to characterize the GOI as having betrayed the middle class on the economic front, having failed to create jobs, having failed to weed out corruption.

And through all of this, a huge wave of mainstream and social media campaigns supporting every one of these initiatives, bringing every facet of the Breaking India agenda into the digital age.

Do we really think Rahul Gandhi has the wherewithal to come up with all this on his own?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The business model of CA explained by whistle blower Christopher Wylie in front of British MPs.

"Part of business model of SCL (CA's parent company) is to capture a government, win a election...it felt like privatized colonizing operation.

That's how they make lot of their money".

https://twitter.com/Hiranyareta/status/ ... 0818487296
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Exclusive: The inside story of what Cambridge Analytica actually did in India

Exclusive: The inside story of what Cambridge Analytica actually did in India

SHIVAM VIJ 14 hours ago

Alexander Nix and others of SCL Laboratories tried working in India on a project in 2011, but it collapsed in 2012 as Nix’s secret plan was accidentally outed.

New Delhi: Cambridge Analytica, the controversial UK political consultancy, claims on its website that it worked on the Bihar assembly elections in 2010, and its clients won a landslide victory.

Formed in 2013, Cambridge Analytica’s parent firm is Strategic Communication Laboratories (SCL). It has worked in India through an Indian company called Strategic Communication Laboratories Private Limited. Company records show the firm has four directors: Alexander James Ashburner Nix, Alexander Waddington Oakes, Amrish Kumar Tyagi, and Avneesh Kumar Rai.

The first two are British citizens who were among the four co-founders of SCL in the UK in 2005. Amrish Tyagi is the son of Janata Dal (United) leader K.C. Tyagi. He also runs the firm Ovleno Business Intelligence, which now works with Cambridge Analytica in India.

But who is Avneesh Kumar Rai, the fourth director of SCL India?

Hailing from Bihar, Rai has been working as an election consultant with politicians across party lines since 1984. He is so low-profile that the internet will barely tell you anything about him. In an interview with ThePrint, he narrated his full account of how SCL India started, what it tried to do, and why it failed.

A 2009 mystery

For the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, Rai was working with BJP leader Mahesh Sharma, currently the minister of state (independent charge) for culture. Rai was dead sure that Sharma would win the Gautam Buddh Nagar seat, but lost by a margin of fewer than 16,000 votes to the Bahujan Samaj Party’s Surendra Singh Nagar.

Rai couldn’t understand why Sharma lost the seat, and was telling a London-based friend about the mystery. The friend suggested he should get experts in political behaviour from the UK to come down to Gautam Buddh Nagar and find out. This is how Rai got in touch with Dan Muresan, head of elections at SCL UK.

Muresan, a Romanian national, came to India with another three experts from the Behavioural Dynamics Institute. This institute had been founded by Nigel Oakes in 1993. Oakes and his brother Alexander Oakes later became co-founders of SCL with Alexander Nix.

Muresan’s team conducted interviews through translators in the Jewar Vidhan Sabha segment, the part of Gautam Buddh Nagar Lok Sabha constituency, where the votes for Sharma had been unexpectedly low.

The month-long research included interviewing voters on video and then analysing the video for facial movements as they answered questions, to figure out if they were lying. The research found that people saw Sharma not as a politician or even a doctor, but a rich businessman (he owned a hospital in Noida, which has now grown to a chain of hospitals across northern India). Sharma had failed to show people any development dreams, make any specific promises, and only vaguely said he would serve them.

Sharma had an associate, also a Brahmin like him, but he was so disliked by some Brahmins in one area that they decided to vote for the BSP candidate just to spite him. Also, Brahmin voters made so much noise about making Sharma win that there was a counter-consolidation of other castes. Faults were found in the way BJP workers campaigned – Sharma’s door-to-door campaigning was weak.

Rai was impressed by the London team’s methods, and Muresan said he was keen to do more work in India. They decided to continue the conversation.

In 2010, Rai says he was working with a few candidates in Bihar. When not busy with elections, Rai used to work with a family friend, Amrish Tyagi, on business intelligence – mainly detecting counterfeit medicines in the market for pharma companies.

One day, Muresan came down to Delhi with Alexander Nix, and met Rai in the office of Ovleno Business Intelligence. Tyagi was present too, and was involved in the conversation.

Muresan knew that Rai had been involved in creating a database of households in many states, profiling them with their demographic details (including such details as their caste) and their political preferences. Such a database is a goldmine for any candidate contesting an election.

Muresan and his team proposed expanding the project and creating such a database for 28 seats, with an eye for selling them to parties and politicians for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, which were about four years away. Rai proposed creating a mobile app to make the database easily accessible to clients.

Rai says the SCL team never went to Bihar, nor did any work in the Bihar elections. It was Rai who, in his individual capacity, worked with around 27 candidates from different parties (on either side of the political divide).

Claims of having worked in Bihar 2010, and other elections such as Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh in 2003, were added to the SCL’s powerpoint presentations to make a stronger sales pitch. He has shared one such presentation with ThePrint. This was Rai’s own work.

Around the same time, in 2010-11, SCL UK was contracted by a political party in Ghana to do a campaign for them. Surveys of English-speaking people in Ghana would arrive at Rai’s office in Indirapuram, Ghaziabad. Through Ovleno Business Intelligence, Rai and Tyagi had thus begun working with Nix’s company.

The survey data would be analysed by a team in Ghaziabad, which would then give feedback for the campaign narrative the party in Ghana should adopt.

Looking for a client

Work on the project began in 2011. Nix and Muresan would often come down to Delhi, as would their staff from London. For the staff, a house in Indirapuram’s Shipra Sun City was rented.

Nix and Muresan, along with Rai and Tyagi, started meeting politicians, selling them their services. These were:

What we have:

– Local knowledge and global expertise

– Global reputation and expertise – credibility

– Software for political intelligence & election management

– Android application for organisation and election management where information can be updated in real time on mobile

– Access to the foremost behavioural change communications methodology in India

– The complete package – ‘A to Z’ of election Management services

Caste research
Voter demographic data collection and analysis
Behavioural polling
Media monitoring
Target audience analysis – campaign strategy
Campaign consultancy – strategy and intervention management
Poll planning & management
According to Rai, the team met top politicians in both the Congress and the BJP, though he refuses to share any names. Crucially, Nix insisted on taking on the Congress as a client because he argued that as the ruling party, it would have more money.

Congress leaders showed interest, but never commissioned any work or signed any contract. The SCL team decided it would first show what it was capable of. It decided to create databases of voters in just four Lok Sabha constituencies — including Amethi, Rae Bareli, Jaipur Rural and Madhubani — and gift them to Rahul Gandhi for free.

Nix also met a top BJP leader who “slept through” the presentation. “He (Nix) was obsessed with Congress, Congress, Congress. He wasn’t interested in the BJP. He wanted to gain access and meet everyone in the Congress, show them our presentation,” says Rai.

Work began in Indirapuram. For 2-3 months, SCL UK’s team trained Indian field surveyors in what to ask voters and how to feed the answers directly to the mobile app. The stuff about demographic details was simple, but understanding their political behaviour was complex.

Some things didn’t add up

During the training, Rai observed something strange. The surveyors were being taught to ask questions that made it sound like it was an anti-Congress campaign. “The questions were designed not to make people simply tell who they vote for, but to make them dislike the Congress party. I found it odd that they wanted to earn a contract for the Congress but actually campaign against the party,” says Rai.

One day, Nix arrived with new smartphones from the United States, with an app designed by someone else. Nix said this Android app was cheaper and better than the one Rai had designed and created in India. “It had only a few more questions, that’s all. The app was no different. It was a copy of what I had created.”

Work began with this new app, and eventually Amethi and Rae Bareli were mapped.

The penny drops

One day, an Indian-American of Gujarati origin came down to oversee the project. Rai does not remember her name, but overheard one of his researchers ask her if she was from the Behavioural Dynamics Institute or SCL UK. She replied, “I am from the client’s side”.

That’s when the penny dropped: there was already a client and it wasn’t the Congress.

Who was the client? The Gujarati-American replied it was an Indian businessman in the United States who wanted to see the Congress defeated. She refused to name him.

Rai confronted Nix with this information. “I told him if you have a client who wants to see the Congress defeated I am ready to work on that. I have no party affiliations or ideological leanings. But I found it unacceptable and unethical to ask the Congress for work and money while trying to defeat them in the same project,” says Rai.

Nix had a straightforward reply when his deceit was exposed: “I am here to make money.”

Rai then demanded to see the raw code of the mobile app Nix had brought in. “We had agreed before starting the work that the database would stay on Indian servers. I wanted to see the code and be assured that it was not being stored on US servers,” he says.

Unsurprisingly, the servers were based in the US. Nix then wanted to take the raw data on smartphones back to London, which Rai refused to allow.

A death in Kenya

“Since I wanted transparency, I insisted on signing a memorandum of understanding that would clarify things,” says Rai. He insisted he needed Muresan to be stationed in Delhi since he trusted him. Meanwhile, the project came to a standstill.

Muresan had gone away to Kenya to work on the campaign of deputy prime minister Uhuru Kenyatta. With the SCL’s help, he became prime minister again in 2013. He was re-elected to the post in 2017, when Cambridge Analytica’s work for him became deeply controversial.

Work slowed down as Rai began independently working for individual politicians in the Uttar Pradesh Vidhan Sabha elections in 2012. Negotiations dragged on between the two sides for much of 2012, and Rai insisted work could begin full swing only if Muresan were to join him in Indirapuram.

Bad news came from Kenya one day: Muresan had been found dead in a hotel room. The public story was that he had died of a heart attack, but Rai overheard SCL UK staff suggest he had been murdered. “I got the impression that he was two-timing there as well, just as Nix wanted to make money from the Congress while he was already taking money from an anti-Congress client.”

(After Muresan’s death, his job went to another young man, Christopher Wylie, who is now at the centre of the controversy around Cambridge Analytica and Facebook. Wylie turned whistleblower and has recently wondered if Muresan was murdered)

By this time, the project had collapsed. The Indian-American client withdrew from SCL since they had been unable to get any data from Rai.

Besides, Nix was turning his attention to bigger things, transforming SCL’s elections branch into Cambridge Analytica, and looking at the US market.

Rai and Tyagi went their own ways professionally. While Rai still does his voter profiling, Tyagi and his Ovleno Business Intelligence have evidently continued working with Nix’s Cambridge Analytica.

ThePrint reached out to Mahesh Sharma, Amrish Tyagi and Alexander Nix for their comment for this report but there was no response until the time of publishing. The report will be updated with their response.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Cambridge Analytica whistleblower names Congress as their client. Look around. The 'evolution' of Rahul, manufactured caste/language violence, fearmongering around FRDI, cheque book rules etc - think of how many of these may have CA involvement. Look up what they did in Kenya.

https://twitter.com/WordOfTheFree/statu ... 7937476608
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

I posit the elites were unhappy that internet became so ubiquitous so soon and completely out of control, that they created facebook et al to create the daily dopamine fix for the sheep like masses (sheeple). What congress did in India by keeping KHAM vote bank alive, the idea for CA was to keep these voite banks intact but not very overtly. The break down of the left liberal world order as it was happening needed creation of CA and similar companies like Palantir. I suspect such plans are usually hatched in Davos- the Versailles of todays era.

Once you have taken the red pill, then you are unplugged. There is no going back. Alas most people are not ready for the red pill.

So the question again- how many of your near and dear ones have deleted Facebook?
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Facebook, Whatsapp owned by the same set of people, are incredibly powerful in India. Opinions get shaped by either of them. Anyone who has control over these two medium can easily shape opinions of millions of people. This is why I said sometime back that we need to shut off our webspace to outside parties and let an ecosystem develop indigenously like it has in China. People being hooked on FB or Whatsapp is not a good reason why they can't be done away with. We have a critical mass of people who are on these foreign owned platforms, who have access to everything that is said or sent. They have trillions of gigabytes of data of everyday discourse that can be sliced & diced. I hope BJP or Modi is not under any assumption that Zuckerberg is their friend.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

@Rudradev - The so-called farmers' agitation at Mumbai was also organised. Suddenly all MSM presstitutes started writing on that. Timing was perfect as far as reporting goes. DF defused it. No one till date knows who are those organisers. There are attempts to organise such things all over India including Gauhathi? When did someone last saw a farmer agitation planned at the national level organised in such a manner at Gauhathi? BJP's focus on NE resulted in that.

This kind of game is being played for long. Rohit Veemula who is not an SC and whose mother is an EJ was shown as SC and matter went to the national level. In all probability, he was killed. Entire national level agitation that BJP is an anti-Dalit party was going on since then.

Crashing share market etc will be there soon.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

How to delete facebook id?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Christopher Wylie Verified account @chrisinsilico
Follow @chrisinsilico

I've been getting a lot of requests from Indian journalists, so here are some of SCL's past projects in India. To the most frequently asked question - yes SCL/CA works in India and has offices there. This is what modern colonialism looks like.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

CA seems to be involved in the brexit verdict too.
Carole Cadwalladr Verified account @carolecadwalla
Mar 24

Money, data, influence: how the Brexit campaigns link up...

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the real problem is the microtargeting with 'fake news' and strongly steered opinion that gets people excited
if you microtarget with real news that's probably ok -and let people make their own minds up
but if you feed misinformation to vulnerable individuals - you create an artificial response

my rule of thumb with fb and twitter is - if I see anything that is trying to make me angry - it is almost certainly false
RajeevK
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RajeevK »

Yagnasri wrote:How to delete facebook id?
Go 'Settings -- > General -- > Manage Account' and then click on 'Deactivate your account'

Under the same setting there is also an option to 'Download a copy of your Facebook data'. You will receive a link in your registered email to download your data.

Your data may still have been shared by Facebook with others or used by stuff you have used through facebook.
Theeran
BRFite

Post by Theeran »

FB and google collect an unbelievable amount of data. Someone had curated all that is visible to google. Read this but don't be alarmed. I'm actually ok with some of this. We just need to be aware and turn off some of the opt in features in the social media sites.

For more - https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9775 ... 67968.html
1. google.com/maps/timeline?… Google stores your location (if you have it turned on) every time you turn on your phone, and you can see a timeline from the first day you started using Google on your phone {You can trace your steps by day and hour. Truly scary or worthwhile if you are spying on your spouse :D }

3. myactivity.google.com/myactivity Google stores search history across all your devices on a separate database, so even if you delete your search history and phone history, Google STILL stores everything until you go in and delete everything, and you have to do this on all devices
4. google.com/settings/ads/ Google creates an advertisement profile based on your information, including your location, gender, age, hobbies, career, interests, relationship status, possible weight (need to lose 10lbs in one day?) and income
5. Google stores information on every app and extension you use, how often you use them, where you use them, and who you use them to interact with (who do you talk to on facebook, what countries are you speaking with, what time you go to sleep at) security.google.com/settings/secur…
6. youtube.com/feed/history/s… Google stores ALL of your YouTube history, so they know whether you're going to be a parent soon, if you're a conservative, if you're a progressive, if you're Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, if you're feeling depressed or suicidal, if you're anorexic...
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Lalmohan wrote:the real problem is the microtargeting with 'fake news' and strongly steered opinion that gets people excited
if you microtarget with real news that's probably ok -and let people make their own minds up
but if you feed misinformation to vulnerable individuals - you create an artificial response

my rule of thumb with fb and twitter is - if I see anything that is trying to make me angry - it is almost certainly false
problem with that clever statements, it will be turned around to discredit posts on congress..and brushed away as "both parties" false equivalency stuff...

you have to discredit that specific attack statement and as you know, it takes exponentially more time to clarify an attack...and there's a flood of attacks so I eventually had to mute those feeds. Now i don't know what crap those friends are reading every day...

this tactics work. a lot of my FB tamil friends are worked up against modi/centre/hindi/etc. It all points to DMK and INC...and CA in the back.

otoh - I find it mildly amusing that trump folks here are taking issue with micro targeting by CA. oh well....
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Just to note: I had pointed out several times in past not to use Yahoo! groups.

At least Cambridge Analytica is a known entity. :D
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Gus - I think it is hard for us to control the whole spectrum, but we can look at our own responses
I have seen friends re-post things that are clearly false and that gets them superheated, we have to individually discipline ourselves until a wider cure is available
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

https://youtu.be/mpbeOCKZFfQ

Cambridge Analytica Uncovered: Secret filming reveals election tricks

rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Theeran wrote:FB and google collect an unbelievable amount of data. Someone had curated all that is visible to google. Read this but don't be alarmed. I'm actually ok with some of this. We just need to be aware and turn off some of the opt in features in the social media sites.

For more - https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9775 ... 67968.html
1. google.com/maps/timeline?… Google stores your location (if you have it turned on) every time you turn on your phone, and you can see a timeline from the first day you started using Google on your phone {You can trace your steps by day and hour. Truly scary or worthwhile if you are spying on your spouse :D }

3. myactivity.google.com/myactivity Google stores search history across all your devices on a separate database, so even if you delete your search history and phone history, Google STILL stores everything until you go in and delete everything, and you have to do this on all devices
4. google.com/settings/ads/ Google creates an advertisement profile based on your information, including your location, gender, age, hobbies, career, interests, relationship status, possible weight (need to lose 10lbs in one day?) and income
5. Google stores information on every app and extension you use, how often you use them, where you use them, and who you use them to interact with (who do you talk to on facebook, what countries are you speaking with, what time you go to sleep at) security.google.com/settings/secur…
6. youtube.com/feed/history/s… Google stores ALL of your YouTube history, so they know whether you're going to be a parent soon, if you're a conservative, if you're a progressive, if you're Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, if you're feeling depressed or suicidal, if you're anorexic...
La whole vila quwat. Where have you been all this time. this is one of the most important post ever. I request admins to make this post sticky. Great help for non it-yt crowd.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

one more data point - someone found out that even if you put the phone in airplane mode and move around, it continues to collect and store locally your movements. later when you connect back to network, it uploads 100s of kb of data. so you cannot go dark and off-grid just by airplane mode.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/02/07/g ... capitalism

In the latest installment in his investigation into how Silicon Valley is clandestinely interacting with Americans, Tucker Carlson sent a reporter around the District of Columbia to see how Google was tracking him.

Carlson sent Fox News Headlines 24/7 anchor Brett Larson to several major landmarks in Washington, from the Fox News bureau on North Capitol Street, to the Children's Hospital in the north, the Washington National Cathedral in the northwest and back to Capitol Hill.

Carlson said his previous report revealed Google applied for two patents, one of which reportedly allows them to effectively "stick a camera in your bedroom and spy on you and your children."

He said Google uses information like that for "surveillance capitalism" - selling advertisements for stuff based on your activities, locations and characteristics.

Carlson sent Larson out and about to find out how much Google gleans from Android devices.

With no SIM card in either of two phones and one set on Airplane Mode, Larson took a black car around town.

During that time, he was not connected to WiFi and only took photos at the cathedral.

Back at the Fox News Channel bureau, Larson hooked the phones up to a device that copied the data the phones sent to Google.

He found it knew exactly where he was throughout the day.

"It knows when I got out of the car!" he exclaimed, examining metadata in the report.

He and Carlson discussed how complicated user agreements allow users to sign away their privacy "for nothing."

Google responded to Carlson's team by saying the user could "opt out" of location history, which is reportedly a complicated process.

"You're probably not the customer, you're the product," Carlson remarked of people who use such free software.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

now with devices like Echo, Alexa proliferating as "conveniences" they can probably count and report how much you walk around the house , who you talk to, who you had a argument with, how active your kids are on the net, how many times you burped ....
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^I have opted out of most Google's history reporting services. I am not on any social media...quit FB back in 2012. Never had FB app on my phone since 2012 (so it has some data about me prior to 2012). I always disable & limit control of what services each app has access to on my phone (I think Android 6.0 & later provides this feature...not sure about iOS though). I make sure to clear all activities on my Google account at least once in two weeks. Never check my email on my phone...use Chrome (unsigned) sparingly to browse web on phone...even if I have to check my email on phone, it will be through browser and not through dedicated app. Always make sure to clear data after exiting browser on my phone. Do not watch Youtube on phone (unless it is absolutely required)...always watch Youtube on laptop computer again not signed in. However, I do use WhatsApp on my phone but my usage is limited to less than 10 messages/correspondences per week...I usually make it a point to inform people not to send me anything irrelevant (yes, I have lost touch with people due to the above)...never part of any group in WhatsApp...Basically I use my phone as a feature one from 2002...primarily for calls & SMSs...LOL. Also very rarely use camera on my cell phone...in spite of the above, I am sure Google would have some good amount of data on their servers.