Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Post by Prasad »

The Brits won swimming medals after a concerted 4 yr push towards more pools at local school level and nurture. We could do it, if we had the will.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

I would go for diving training (lots of medals) The way I have seen lads from village jump into rivers from railway lines in front of approaching train is unbeatable.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/sport/ ... 57460.html

Sardara Singh dropped Shrijas back in team. Two 18 years old will be playing in commonwealth game
First match April 7th against Bakistan.

Former captain Sardar Singh has been dropped from the 18-member Indian team for next month’s Commonwealth Games. The team, which will play its first match against Pakistan on April 7, will be led by Manpreet Singh. Chinglensana Singh Kangujam has been named the vice-captain. Goalkeeper PR Sreejesh, the former captain, has made a comeback after suffering a ligament injury at last year’s Azlan Shah tournament.

Dilpreet Singh and Vivek Sagar Prasad, both 18 years old, are part of the team; the two had been impressive during their international debut in New Zealand earlier this year and have been rewarded with a call-up for their maiden multi-sports event at the senior level.

End of road?
After India’s below-par show at the recent Azlan Shah tournament, in which an experimental team was captained by Sardar Singh, his exclusion from CWG is not surprising. However, the omission of Ramandeep Singh from the CWG squad has caused some surprise because he had done well in the Azlan Shah tournament.

Coach Sjoerd Marijne said that Sardar had lost his place in the team because there were superior players available to take over from him, while Ramandeep had been inconsistent. “Sardar was dropped from the Commonwealth Games team because of stiff competition for centre position and Ramandeep was omitted for his inconsistent performance,” Marijne said in Bengaluru.

“This team has been picked keeping in mind the team’s performance in the previous tournaments since the Asia Cup 2017,” the coach said. “We have tried out different combinations in the past events and we believe this will be the most effective combination for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.”

Focus on Oz
Marijne said captain Manpreet, who led India to the Asia Cup title last year, will be part of the leadership group which also includes Sreejesh.

Manpreet said the team would focus on starting with a victory against Pakistan. “We need to focus on our plan and maintain discipline. That is the main thing,” he said.

“Our first aim is to do well in the group stage because we have some strong teams in our Pool,” the captain added. “It’s extremely crucial to top our table and make the semifinal but if we do meet Australia in the knockouts, I believe we will be up for a strong challenge.” — TNS, agencies

Squad: Goalkeepers: PR Sreejesh, Suraj Karkera; Defenders: Rupinder Pal Singh, Harmanpreet Singh, Varun Kumar, Kothajit Singh, Gurinder Singh, Amit Rohidas

Midfielders: Manpreet Singh (C), Chinglensana Singh (vice-captain), Sumit, Vivek Sagar Prasad

Forwards: Akashdeep Singh, SV Sunil, Gurjant Singh, Mandeep Singh, Lalit Kumar Upadhyay, Dilpreet Sing
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Prasad wrote:The Brits won swimming medals after a concerted 4 yr push towards more pools at local school level and nurture. We could do it, if we had the will.
In fact, swimming is not a good example of their recent improvement. Just check the stats. Between the last two Olympics when they won ~30 golds each time finishing 3rd and 2nd, they won ONE swimming gold altogether. By far their most medals came in cycling + rowing, where they won almost 2 dozen golds in the last 2 Olympics combined. Historically they've been a good swimming power, with ~75 medals and more than a dozen golds. IOW, they already have the base in that sport.

Their results prove my case - they picked less glamorous and lower profile sports where they already excel traditionally - cycling, rowing, sailing, canoeing, equestrian. Thats where they won almost all their golds. Only athletics and gymnastics are high profile sport, and even there all their golds in athletics came from Mo Farah.

The only high profile sport where they made major gains is gymnastics. Their gains there are quite surprising, supplanting traditional powers like China, Russia and US.

In our case, the main focus sports are shooting and wrestling. We could add boxing and weightlifting to it. Spread over those, we can consistently aim for 5-10 golds with focused training and support.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Srikanth, Saina are out of all england.
Prannoy and Sindhu to play quarters tomorrow.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Sindhu in the All England semifinals. Beat her nemesis Nozomi Okuhara, who beat her in the world championship final last year in one of the most legendary and long matches ever. Faces another Japanese energizer bunny Akane Yamaguchi.

Honorable mention to our teenage doubles pair Rankireddy and Shetty. Lost in 2nd round itself, but to world #2 Boe and Mogensen, losing the last game 21-23. They will get better.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Rankireddy and Chirag Sen played very well. They were also undone by some untimely service errors. The new rules are causing problems.
Srikanth was also complaining about them.
Sindhu has not learned from her losses in the past. She still tries to win by outrunning her opponent. Also cant finish off points where her opponents are under pressure.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Okay this thread has become all sports and no entertainment.

Let me change that:
http://www.indiawest.com/entertainment/ ... 112f5.html
‘Pink’ Producer Rashmi Sharma Announces New Venture ‘MUM48’ in Collaboration with Japan’s ‘AKB48’
East Asian-type girl band (Kpop, Jpop) in India!

So what do you think of the chances of this working out? We need another major venue beyond B’wood (and the other ‘Woods down South.)

AKB46 makes pretty catchy tunes but I REALLY like their music videos.

An example:

I think Kpop is already popular in the NE. Maybe a mass bikini video shoot in Goa?

I’m hyped for this. Maybe because I have yellow fever.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Sindhu's out of All England. Blew a 13-8 lead in the last game to lose to Yamaguchi. With no help with her mental weaknesses, she will never win a major.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Suraj wrote:Sindhu's out of All England. Blew a 13-8 lead in the last game to lose to Yamaguchi. With no help with her mental weaknesses, she will never win a major.
That is completely wrong diagnosis. She is not mentally weak. That would be srikanth.
The fault lies with the coaching staff. They have not figured out in two years why her matches go so long?!!
All her matches went three set in this tournament as well.
She wont win points and wont let her opponents win points. She is rallying without purpose and when she gets an opening she cant finish off. She does not need to win all points. She only needs to win more points than her opponent. That would mean taking risks. like trying to hit more smashes on the line rather than ineffective body smashes.
Anyway, have said this often. Its all such a pity!!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

She has lost the Olympic final, world final and lost multiple world semis and now All England semis .

Sure, blame the coaches for it and claim ‘completely wrong diagnosis’ . It makes no sense to me . Mental strength includes presence of mind to put away winners in crunch moments. Coaches aren’t going to help here. She lacks the ability to stay calm at the end.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Also lacking physical fitness comparable to Yamaguchi, Okuhara and Tsai Zu. She looks exhausted in the second and third games.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

She wouldnt be reaching the finals if she were mentally weak. So, when she won the long gruelling quarter final, she was strong but if she lost similar long gruelling semi against another Japanese she becomes mentally weak.
You are mentally weak when you lose to unheralded players in first and second round in big tournaments but go on to win 4 super series in a year. Like Srikanth.
The fault lies with the coaches for turning her into a rally machine. And she must be one of the fittest in the circuit. To think that Yamaguchi with all her baby fat is fitter than Sindhu is ridiculous.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

And yes, Indian coaches arent proving very good. With all credit to Gopi, for setting up a good centre in Hyderabad, he has failed to groom top talents into world winners.
Srikanth is a top talent who loses in 1st, 2nd rounds of big tournaments.
Sindhu is a top player who is unable to win the big trophies. Prannoy wins two rounds in every tournament and no more.
Not to mention many others. Indian badminton has come of age with time. Gopi can take partial credit for it. But the chinese and particulally danish coaches are much better.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

She clearly lacks physical fitness to last the whole tournament playing top players in the world. In badminton body shape need not necessarily equal to energy. Same is the case with Prannoy and to a certain extent Srikanth. At the top you have to beat 2-3 quality players to win the tournament. Apart from the world championship and masters finals where she was clearly demonstrating lack of energy her game became erratic as she ran out of steam. When you are not confident about your physical status that I can outlast the other girl it becomes a mental game. Gopichand has to work on fitness and things will be fine as all three of them have the game.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

They have a game plan against her i.e. retrieve and make Sindhu run so that she is drained of energy and becomes erratic. They are making her play 44-45 shot rallies and at the end of it her legs are not moving as fast. This is one reason why Saina has faded away. OTOH Yamaguchi, Okuhara, Tsai Zu can run and run for more than one hour. All they have to do is retrieve and make the rallies long. One way to counter is to finish points fast. The other is to improve physical fitness to their level. They won't allow you to finish fast. So you have to work on your physical fitness.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

That is again incorrect diagnosis.
Tai Tzu ying has a very good deceptive strokeplay game. Okuhara and Yamaguchi are good too. But not at the same level.
Besides, they dont have the game plan that you are proposing. By the end of the second set yesterday Yamaguchi was as tired if not more than Sindhu. So this would be suicidal.
Sinshu hits a lot of `safe` strokes. Not putting enough pressure on her opponent. You look at her service returns. They are nothing strokes. Her opponent does not have to move an inch. Its basically risk averse. Same for her smashes. 95% of them are close to her opponents body. She does not want to go for the lines, lest they go out.
But she is very good at retrieving. Which means she gets points from her opponents errors and loses them when her opponent does not make mistakes.
Thats where the coaches come in. They need to tell her to take risks. To go for the lines. It doesnt matter if she misses some, but that will fetch her lot more advantages. Both tzai Tzu ying and Marin at very good at this. They never hit nothing strokes.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Fitness is not an issue at all. Prannoy loses steam physically, thats true. He loses his edge with every round. But not Sindhu and Srikanth. The 4 SS trophies testify that. I have not seen Srikanth struggling physically in even one match.
Fitness is not an issue. For Srikanth, it is nervousness and wrong approach to game. Deliberately starting slow etc. He gets under pressure particularly when he is expected to do well.
For Sindhu it is bad game tactics. And coaches are to blame for that.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

I don't know if you have played badminton at the competition level but I have. Physical fitness is extremely important in badminton as you not only have to run but your body has to undergo severe twists and turns and bends. If you are not physically fit you cannot hit those smashes at the end and target those lines. Your body is not going to respond. Sounds easy but very difficult.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Supratik wrote:I don't know if you have played badminton at the competition level but I have. Physical fitness is extremely important in badminton as you not only have to run but your body has to undergo severe twists and turns and bends. If you are not physically fit you cannot hit those smashes at the end and target those lines. Your body is not going to respond. Sounds easy but very difficult.
:)
Fitness is the basic thing that one needs to play badminton. Its not some qualification.
Sindhu starts off well. The first 5-10 points she hits smashes well. Both down the line as well as cross-court. After that it is just senselessly hitting hard with no direction.
The coaches need to remind her to take risks. If after two years, she is making the same mistakes, then I will blame the coaching staff.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

I agree and disagree. There are no basic problems with her game. Her coach made the mistake of asking her to play long rallies last year. This time she tried to keep it short. But Yamaguchi was retrieving well. The coach needs to make her play to her strengths. However, fitness is still king. Basic fitness will not do.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Parasu, I look upon the same results you see but disagree with your diagnosis . Sindhu is yet to demonstrate that she can keep her wits together on the big stage . I see no point in blaming the coach for it . At that stage she’s lost to tall players (Marin) and short players (Okuhara and Yamaguchi), lost in straight games and 3 games, lost after successive 3 game matches and after more straightforward wins.

She’s shown she’s very good at getting to the later stages (she made a WC semifinal before Saina did) but not the ability to keep her wits together and close out a big win .

The fact that she’s so experienced ought to mean she doesn’t need a coach to tell her what to do at the end . Regardless, Gopichand was on the sideline yelling advice to her in yesterday’s game . At 13-8 in the last game, I thought she could easily close it out . How disappointing.

Its trivially visible that she loses her game plan as her opponent makes her run at the end . But I completely disagree that it’s the coach’s mistake . Half the audience can see that she goes into retrieving mode with no plan. I would also bet the coaches have been telling her to be more brave, for a long time. It’s not rocket science after all - most of the audience can see what she’s doing wrong. IMHO the problem lies with her . She’s too mentally weak to trust herself and hopes the opponent will screw up and give her the win. She’s being given advice she’s not following . You can’t simulate final match play pressure in coaching . She doesn’t trust her own skills under pressure and that’s her failing .

I don’t care if she becomes world #1 . Its useless if she’s going to keep being the loser at every major stage .
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

Riveting final match between India and Bangladesh. Super, super batting by Dinesh Karthik

India won with a 6 off the last ball, with 5 runs required to win! Hats off to DN
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Everyone wants Sindhu to win the big ones. Ditto for Srikanth. His 4 SS trophies wont equal one world championship or All England or Olympic medal.
Secondly, of course, it is Sindhu`s/ Srikanth`s or any other players fault if they are good enough and still lose. Its not as if coaches have to do all the thinking for the players.
My issue is that in two years, she ought to have been sufficiently `convinced` about her mistakes and know what to do. If she isnt doing that after repeatedly being told to, I would concede that its her fault.
But I have failed to see an iota of change in her game. None, whatsoever. So I blame the coaches for not sufficiently `convincing` her what she needs to do.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

VKumar wrote:Riveting final match between India and Bangladesh. Super, super batting by Dinesh Karthik

India won with a 6 off the last ball, with 5 runs required to win! Hats off to DN

this was India A team (Kohli, Bumrah and many others not playing) but Bhookanangadeshis still went beyond their realm abusing ICC and rest (in last match against SL) even broke the windows.

DK is hero because of his experience in IPL that Bhookas will never understand
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

VKumar wrote:Riveting final match between India and Bangladesh. Super, super batting by Dinesh Karthik. India won with a 6 off the last ball, with 5 runs required to win! Hats off to DN
Nangi dance - finale.

Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

anupmisra wrote:
VKumar wrote:Riveting final match between India and Bangladesh. Super, super batting by Dinesh Karthik. India won with a 6 off the last ball, with 5 runs required to win! Hats off to DN
Nangi dance - finale.

anupmisraji, you will like this twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/AskAnshul/status/975424204571987968
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Soon after the great performance at the first round of the ISSF shooting world cup, India performs very well in the Junior world cup so far:
ISSF Junior World Cup, Sydney

Code: Select all

Rank Country G S B Total
1    China   8 7 7 22
2    India   7 3 8 18 
3    Italy   2 0 1 3 
Usually China dominates the junior levels due to their system. Good to see us keep up.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

Suraj wrote:Soon after the great performance at the first round of the ISSF shooting world cup, India performs very well in the Junior world cup so far:
ISSF Junior World Cup, Sydney

Code: Select all

Rank Country G S B Total
1    China   8 7 7 22
2    India   7 3 8 18 
3    Italy   2 0 1 3 
Usually China dominates the junior levels due to their system. Good to see us keep up.
neck in neck now :)

1CHN 9 8 8 25
2ND 9 5 8 22
3ITA 3 1 2 6
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

World Champion Mirabai Chanu is on live now in Women's 48kg weight lifting. She finished a ridiculous 10kg ahead of her competition after the snatch round, lifting 86kg vs nearest best 76kg. All her snatch lifts were higher than the best competition - 80kg->84kg->86kg , a games and championship record. Clean&jerk round in progress. She'll be the last to lift, with a first lift of 103kg, much higher than anyone else.

Added: Gold confirmed. Lifted 103kg first try, far ahead of competition. Let's see where she finishes. Lifted 107kg in second attempt. 110kg attempt for 3rd. She's already a ridiculous 25kg ahead of 2nd place. She's just competing with herself, having beaten her previous best of 85kg in snatch, now trying to beat her previous best of 109kg in C&J . And she lifts 110kg too, for a total of 196kg, better than her world championship winning total, and easily enough to win silver at the last Olympics had she not DNFed there.

GC2018 site
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Many countries including Russia, China, Turkey are banned in weightlifting for doping. Wonder whether the ban will last till AG 2018.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

1 Gold and 1 Silver in Weightlifting!! Good start!! Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore is a good sports minister. This is the first time that Athletes families are traveling with them instead of the families of the Babus!!
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Why isn't archery in the common wealth games?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Host gets to choose the non core sports . In my opinion this should be India’s last CWG. Here are my reasons :
- shooting is being eliminated from the next games . We have 156 CWG golds of which 56 are in shooting. Stupid sh1t like lawn bowls is a core sport but not shooting .
- the games provide us no signal. Either we are way better or not of competition standard at all . Chanu won the 48kg event by 26kg. That is just silly . Her own performance was world/Olympic winning standard. Her competition would struggle in the Indian junior nationals . All her 6 lifts broke the previous games record. Same for shooting . Others like swimming or cycling we are nowhere near the powers . Therefore there is no incremental gain especially since...
- CWG is in the same year as AG, usually too close unless the games are in Southern Hemisphere . AG gives us a far better signal on our world level performance in the sports we are competitive in .
- finally, why are we in commonwealth any longer ? We are too big for it . Commonwealth is 2.1 billion people and $14.5 trillion GDP . Of that, India is 1.2 billion and $10.4 trillion .
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

I agree. Unless they change the year of CWG from AG it is clashing with our performance in AG. AG has more world class competition in more sports. If they don't change the year we should just send the junior team and focus on AG. CWG is no indicator in sports we are good at. I am glad they have stopped monetary incentive for CWG. It should be given only for AG and OG.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Suraj wrote:Host gets to choose the non core sports . In my opinion this should be India’s last CWG. Here are my reasons :
- shooting is being eliminated from the next games . We have 156 CWG golds of which 56 are in shooting. Stupid sh1t like lawn bowls is a core sport but not shooting .
- the games provide us no signal. Either we are way better or not of competition standard at all . Chanu won the 48kg event by 26kg. That is just silly . Her own performance was world/Olympic winning standard. Her competition would struggle in the Indian junior nationals . All her 6 lifts broke the previous games record. Same for shooting . Others like swimming or cycling we are nowhere near the powers . Therefore there is no incremental gain especially since...
- CWG is in the same year as AG, usually too close unless the games are in Southern Hemisphere . AG gives us a far better signal on our world level performance in the sports we are competitive in .
- finally, why are we in commonwealth any longer ? We are too big for it . Commonwealth is 2.1 billion people and $14.5 trillion GDP . Of that, India is 1.2 billion and $10.4 trillion .
This is an interesting perspective about CWG. As a sporting spectacle CWG is perhaps not worth our while. But perhaps the Games is subserving some foreign policy objective. Fellowship with some large number of african and carribean countries.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

>> $14.5 trillion GDP . Of that, India is 1.2 billion and $10.4 trillion

you are comparing nominal GDP to PPP GDP. not correct. its 10.4 vs 2.2 India, 2.8 for UK, 1.8 for canada and 1.5 australia...totalling up to 8.3 among the big4. the next is south africa which languishes at 384b.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Australia, England, Canada, South Africa do provide competition in Hockey, Swimming, etc (Olympics level).
Our women hockey team lost to Wales (of all the countries) by 1 goal.
Baki men's team drew with Wales (1-1).

I agree that Asian Games and Olympics are good to compete.
Now they also have Youth Olympic games at the global level (14-18 years old). We have only won total of less than 5 medals since these games started in 2010. These games are very good to expose youth to International level.