Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Peregrine »

To step up global outreach, India eyes lead role in Commonwealth

NEW DELHI: India is getting ready to play a larger role in the Commonwealth, a multilateral grouping that could now work very well for India’s global aspirations. With 53 countries and no Chinese presence, India is poised to give the Commonwealth a fresh sense of purpose.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to almost double India’s financial contribution to the Commonwealth when he heads to London this week for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM). That will be followed by India indicating that it is ready to take on greater responsibilities in the Commonwealth and play a leading role in terms of increased Indian activity.

As it steps out as a large power, there is a sense in New Delhi that India needs to do more. This will also be the first time an Indian PM will be present at a CHOGM since 2009. Modi himself skipped the last one in Malta.

“India’s engagement with multilateral bodies has been increasing consistently and the Commonwealth is no different. There is a clear desire to play a greater leadership role in the international arena and the UK wants India, as the largest country in the Commonwealth, to take on a more important role within the organisation,” said Dinesh Patnaik, deputy high commissioner of India to the United Kingdom.

Modi’s bilateral engagements in London will include an audience with Queen Elizabeth, who will be hosting possibly her last CHOGM summit. It’s still unclear who will take over from her as head of the Commonwealth, and this is expected to be discussed during the leaders’ retreat at the Waterloo Chamber of Windsor Castle, which is being thrown open for the occasion.

“At the retreat, unique to the Commonwealth, heads meet privately to discuss collaboration on global and Commonwealth priorities. They will also consider reform and renewal of the Commonwealth,” a Commonwealth statement said.

Modi arrives in the United Kingdom on Tuesday night after a bilateral meeting in Sweden and an Indo-Nordic summit with Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark and Finland in Stockholm.

In London, Modi will start off with a day of bilateral meetings on Wednesday before a CHOGM dinner hosted by British PM Theresa May at Sky Garden in London. The bilateral summit will stress on the “technology partnership”, which was started a while ago. This includes British companies “creating in India”.

India-UK trade rose 15% in the past year while Indian issuers raised 5.3 billion pounds in the London Stock Exchange. India is also the fourth largest investor in the UK. A significant outcome of the summit is likely to be focused on data protection and cybersecurity.

Cheers Image
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by kit »

Austin wrote:this gets more interesting

Lavrov: Swiss lab says ‘BZ toxin’ used in Salisbury, not produced in Russia, was in US & UK service

https://www.rt.com/news/424149-skripal- ... bz-lavrov/
The substance used on Sergei Skripal was an agent called BZ, according to a Swiss lab, the Russian foreign minister said. The toxin was never produced in Russia, but was in service in the US, UK, and other NATO states.

Sergei Skripal, a former Russian double agent, and his daughter Yulia were poisoned with an incapacitating toxin known as 3-Quinuclidinyl benzilate or BZ, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said, citing the results of the examination conducted by a Swiss chemical lab that worked with the samples that London handed over to the Organisation for the Prohibition of the Chemical Weapons (OPCW).

The Swiss center sent the results to the OPCW. However, the UN chemical watchdog limited itself only to confirming the formula of the substance used to poison the Skripals in its final report without mentioning anything about the other facts presented in the Swiss document, the Russian foreign minister added. He went on to say that Moscow would ask the OPCW about its decision to not include any other information provided by the Swiss in its report.
The dude Lavrov said that much before that Russia had no part in the "chemical attack" on Skripal .. staged dramas by the west .. did the Saudi moolah " bank roll" the missile attacks on Syria ?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The suppression of all the evidence is extremely suspicious.Even in a murder trial, the accused has access to all evidence and can cross-examine witnesses.Merely saying " Russia and Putin" were to blame based upon such flimsy evidence and then go to war without parliament's approval saying, " they could have done it, therefore they must've done it", is like a necktie party at Tyburn .
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Sad experience to be a Russian in Britain-istan these days.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ru ... 99361.html
I'm a Russian expat living in Britain and I'm sick of being told I'm trashy, evil and corrupt
Before moving to the UK, I had the impression that America and Europe were all about tolerance. But the way people have reacted to me has made me think differently

Valerie Stark

I don't deny Russia has homophobic laws and some intolerant attitudes – but people in the UK seem to want to deny that it could ever change AP
My name is Valerie Stark. But that’s not my real name. In fact, I don’t use the last name that I was given at birth for two reasons. First, it’s hard to spell and pronounce for non-Russian speakers. Second, after a few years of living in UK, I got tired of getting frowned upon or getting that commiserative look.

I quickly realised that acknowledging that you’re Russian in the UK is like admitting that you have a deadly disease and you have only few weeks to live. And it’s contagious. “Oh…” as a response to me talking about my national identity became the norm. I started to use my last name less and less. And eventually I completely dropped it.

Losing my last name didn’t mean the end of the troubles, but at least I managed to avoid that look when my name was called for a reservation in the restaurant or when visiting a beauty salon. I stopped being a hooker or a criminal coming to laser off her nasty Russian pelage. I became Ms Stark, the woman with a few unwanted hairs.

However, my social life wasn’t as smooth as my legs. Even though I wasn’t the most social creature on planet Earth (mostly due to my workload), I definitely used to have a pool of people back home. People who I could call in the evening after a hard day at work and pop to their place with a bottle of wine on very short notice. And a couple of very close friends who didn’t need any notice at all but needed two bottles of wine.

Things in London were very different. I struggled to make friends, and my nationality seemed like it was one of the main contributors to this problem. In fact, it started from day one when I arrived in London. I settled in the hotel, and after a short, refreshing walk, I went to the restaurant to have dinner. As I was waiting to be seated at the bar, I sparked up a conversation with two British men in their mid-twenties, and it was just a lovely chit-chat. Well, at least it was up until they asked me where I was from.

US ambassador to UN Nikki Haley: 'Russia could stop this senseless slaughter if it wanted to but it stands with the Assad regime'
I don’t have that prominent Russian accent we’re all familiar with, and most of the time people struggle to detect it. I told the boys that I was born in Moscow and expected some cheesy, tipsy comment about polar bears or vodka. But instead, it was, “For f**k’s sake. Not Russian!”

I was shocked and, for a second or two, I tried to gather myself together to ask them why. But by that time, they were already gone.

Similar situations kept occurring, and each time they were more painful. At a yoga retreat, I was told by a yoga buddy to explain why “all Russian women dress inappropriately”.

A physiologist who I went to see for my pain in the neck (and I don’t mean my nationality here) asked me if I was Russian as she was manipulating my C-3. Her response after receiving yes as an answer made my trust in her, as someone who I wanted to work on my vertebrae, quickly disappear. Her words still stick with me today:“So many Russians with lots of money come here and buy all these expensive houses. You know we don’t like each other. Well. You might not remember, but your mother definitely does. Cold War and everything.” It was like a flow of really nasty diarrhoea coming from her mouth. She finished the session. I paid and walked away, and never went back.

Before moving to the UK, I had the impression that America and Europe were all about tolerance. Now I was coming to realise that tolerance and love towards other cultures isn’t something that comes together with a certain citizenship or upon completion of a yoga retreat. Rather, they’re achieved through education, life experience and challenging one’s own hypocrisies. Thinking that you’re better than someone else because you were born and raised in a particular country that is now boasting its tolerance is a big fat myth.

There used to be such a thing as Clause 28, a law which existed in Britain up until 2003 that prohibited “promoting homosexuality”. Only 15 years ago, then, Britain was homophobic.

I understand that Russian culture might have been tainted by the revolution, Stalinism and the Cold War, and that the current political climate is very intense. I also appreciate that Russia still has a law similar to Clause 28, and that just few weeks ago the State Duma’s Ethics Committee exonerated the chairman of Duma’s International Affairs Committee who sexually harassed several female journalists.

Later, the Moscow State University dean, during his lecture at Novosibirsk State University, concluded that “decent men can touch women anywhere”. Yes, that’s what he said, and that’s a sad reality – but only if you compare it with reality in the UK or the US. Many Arab or Asian countries wouldn’t even let harassment cases come to light.

I’m also proud that half of the students walked out of the lecture hall in protest and that those young female journalists stood up for themselves. This would have been hard to imagine 10 years ago, and it’s happening now. Russia has long way to go when it comes to tolerance and equality, but this is due to entrenched prejudices from a long and painful Russian history. Things are changing, whether you want to believe it or not.

Even without going back in history, I can tell you that there are so many wonderful and talented Russians who are not only known in Russia but widely acknowledged internationally. Take Vika Gazinskaya, who designs clothes and recently launched a collection of vegan leather items which are sold everywhere, from Browns to MatchesFashion.com. Natalia Vodyanova is a renowned model, actress and philanthropist who runs the Naked Heart Foundation, which helps children with special needs and constructs play parks. Elena Shifrina founded BioFoodLab, which sells her healthy vegan Bite bars across the globe.

There are many more of amazing Russians who are definitely not “criminals and hookers” and who feel sad when they are being profiled and judged just because they are who they are.

Don’t get me wrong –both I and many other Russians living in and outside the UK absolutely adore British culture. There is a cult of British literature, movies and Britain itself in Russia. Russians obsessively read Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Dickens, Wilde, Austen, Tolkien and, of course, J K Rowling. Our publishing houses reprint the works of Lewis Carol with handwriting and sketches inside and then cover the edges of the pages with gold. I have never seen one of those in the UK.

We love Charlie Chaplin, discuss every outfit of Kate Middleton, have multiple geeky communities who dress like Beowulf and Grendel and even some which speak Elvish. We listen to Robbie Williams and want to marry David Beckham, though only if he comes with Victoria’s wardrobe.

I myself studied the History of Western Europe while living in Russia and then comparative literature and Anglo-Saxon history for my BA and MA in the UK. I also met many wonderful Brits, including my favourite history teacher, Robin Anthony, who also knows how to speak Elvish and tells the best stories about Henry VIII.

But unfortunately, and despite my love of Britain, my nationality still plays a big role in how people treat me. I decided to write this opinion piece after being sent messages including “Glad you’re going back to Russia soon” and “Russian whore”. Recent political events have dialled up the Russian-hating to 100.

I want people to hear about my experiences first-hand and not to buy into media speculations about Russians in Britain. What we need is more stories about self-made Russians who have assimilated happily into British life in the press, rather than articles and TV series which portray Russians solely as gangsters and corrupt oligarchs. We need movies about Russian culture, people and maybe even superheroes, rather than the same old storylines about spies and prostitutes. We need some of your love and respect and I believe we, as anyone else in this world, equally deserve it.

So far, what we have as a top definition of “Russian” in Urban Dictionary is “An accent you can do to prevent yourself from getting mugged in a dark alley”. Is that the best we can do?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Ibrahim Qazi

@miqazi
Lord Nazir Ahmed rocks the British House of Lords with a call on her majesty the Queen’s Government to help end human rights violations in Indian Occupied Kashmir whereby most recently 8 years old Asifa Bano was gang raped and murdered.
ISI assets fully activated. ^

ब्रिटेन सरकार की ओर से बैरोनेस स्टेडमैन स्कॉट ने कहा कि भारत का मजबूत लोकतांत्रिक ढ़ांचा है जो मानवाधिकारों का आश्वासन देता है. स्कॉट ने कहा , ‘‘ ये बलात्कार और हत्या जैसे मामले भयावह से कम कुछ भी नहीं है और हमारी संवेदनाएं पीड़िता के परिवार के साथ हैं. प्रधानमंत्री नरेंद्र मोदी ने भी स्पष्ट कर दिया है कि न्याय किया जाएगा

Responding from British govt another MP Lord Scott stated India has a robust democracy in place which takes care of human rights, besides PM Modi already has reiterated those responsible will not be spared.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

All foreplay to try and sabotage the upcoming visit of the PM to Blighty where he will be received with due honour and be welcomed by HM the Queen, as well as attending the CHOGM meet where it is expected that India will take up a greater role in determining the future of the institution.

Our PM must be given a rousing reception by the Indian community who should stand rock solid behind him as he represents INDIA.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rism-chief
only last month a man of Indian origin Neil Basu has been appointed counter terrorism chief of UK police.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

PM Modi in UK, live streaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_vYsnE84OY
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

The above, in Full HD :wink:

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The PM's visit is not even front page news in the Brit. media.Brexit,Pogba's return to form and even in the Left of centre Guardian.not even in the top 10 items viewed! Mr. Modi appears to be left out of any serious reporting whatsoever and when the CHOGM meet takes place,most of the reporting will be regarding its future head,after "Brenda"ascends one day to her heavenly abode,the Brit. establishment hoping that the permament "king-in-waiting",poor "Brian",will be unanimously accepted as its future head. With a name like Charles,I wouldn't be so sure."Uneasy is the head that wears the crown"!
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

baba kalyani sir is there
HAL chairman Suvarna Raju sir is there
open challenge to others identify all
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi paying homage at the Basaveshwara statue, in London
boon granted and will be evident on may 15th
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

IndraD wrote:
ISI assets fully activated. ^

ब्रिटेन सरकार की ओर से बैरोनेस स्टेडमैन स्कॉट ने कहा कि भारत का मजबूत लोकतांत्रिक ढ़ांचा है जो मानवाधिकारों का आश्वासन देता है. स्कॉट ने कहा , ‘‘ ये बलात्कार और हत्या जैसे मामले भयावह से कम कुछ भी नहीं है और हमारी संवेदनाएं पीड़िता के परिवार के साथ हैं. प्रधानमंत्री नरेंद्र मोदी ने भी स्पष्ट कर दिया है कि न्याय किया जाएगा

Responding from British govt another MP Lord Scott stated India has a robust democracy in place which takes care of human rights, besides PM Modi already has reiterated those responsible will not be spared.
Link
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Suraj wrote:The gazette information of all Indian extradition treaties is here:
MEA List of Extradition Treaty Agreements
India-UK Extradition Treaty of 1992. In force since Dec 30 1993
The British have rejected extradition requests on the following grounds (not a complete list, just what I found):
* concern of 'inhumane prison conditions' at Tihar Jail
* 'unusually long delay in extradition request' (20+ years)

It would be interesting to have a list of all rejected requests by either side, and the basis ascribed.
the brits have always managed to extricate their citizens, no matter what, from India, and most of the times after those brits have been convicted by Indian courts.

But we are tamely awaiting some action from the brits, even those in which the requests are decades old.

A swift and unforgettable kick needs to be delivered in the seat of their pants and that can best be done by leveraging the trade treaty that the brits are salivating over, after brexit.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Peregrine wrote:To step up global outreach, India eyes lead role in Commonwealth

NEW DELHI: India is getting ready to play a larger role in the Commonwealth, a multilateral grouping that could now work very well for India’s global aspirations. With 53 countries and no Chinese presence, India is poised to give the Commonwealth a fresh sense of purpose.

The royal arrogance and the sheer sense of colonial entitlement of the brits and their refusal to acknowledge that they have fatally descended to merely being a third rate power with almost zero influence in world affairs.

If wishes were horses, then brit beggars would surely ride.

The litany of colonial misrule, greed, genocide and extreme cruelty, all papered over by gandhi, nehru, including numerous benefiting others and the dodgy role of the erstwhile maculayputra ICS and its successors along with the brit seeded commie cohorts who strived to whitewash the brit colonial history in India and also elsewhere.

QUEEN PUTS FORWARD SON CHARLES AS NEXT HEAD OF COMMONWEALTH
Queen Elizabeth II today made her first direct intervention into a succession plan for the Commonwealth, indicating that she would like her son and heir, Prince Charles, to take over as the Head of the 53-member organisation.

Queen, the Head of the Commonwealth, opened the summit for what may be the last time today.

In her opening speech for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) at Buckingham Palace in London, the 91-year-old monarch described the group as "growing stronger year by year" and the world's "great convening powers", which would benefit from the stability to be offered by the royal family.

"It is my sincere wish that the Commonwealth will continue to offer stability and continuity for future generations – and will decide that one day the Prince of Wales will carry on the important work started by my father in 1949," the Queen said.

"By continuing to treasure and reinvigorate our associations and activities I believe we will secure a prosperous and more sustainable world for those who follow us," she said.

Her intervention comes amid ongoing speculation over a successor to the monarch, with the post of Head of Commonwealth not being a hereditary one. Some experts have argued that it marks an opportunity for the organisation to distance itself from its colonial roots and appoint a non-royal to the role. Others, however, claim that it is the royal family that holds the grouping of former British colonies together.
Last edited by chetak on 19 Apr 2018 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Just come out of CW alread!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karthik S wrote:Just come out of CW alread!
Very true.

just fire 53 shots back at the commonwealth and withdraw permanently.

They want it to be our wealth becoming their common property, with preferred market access and FFNGOs, freely strolling around the Indian countryside and cities.

BTW, why are white skinned ladies connected with India, all keen to push their useless first borns into succeeding them??

Don't they think that India deserves better??

QUEEN PUTS FORWARD SON CHARLES AS NEXT HEAD OF COMMONWEALTH
A decision on succession will be taken collectively by the 53 heads of government of the Commonwealth and the subject is expected to be the central feature of deliberations when the leaders get together for the CHOGM leaders' retreat on Friday at the grand Waterloo Chamber of Windsor Castle.

There is reportedly no general consensus over the Prince of Wales as the next Head of the Commonwealth, with India yet to confirm its stand on the matter.

The 69-year-old royal is reportedly keen to step into his mother's shoes but the decision will be up to the presidents and prime ministers representing the 53 member-countries, which will then be announced by the Commonwealth Secretary-General, Baroness Patricia Scotland.
Gunners at St. James' Park near the palace ended the formal launch ceremony with a 53-gun salute in honour of all members of the Commonwealth, following which the leaders head to Lancaster House for the executive session of CHOGM.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

The death of QEII should be the occasion for India to quietly leave the Commonwealth. I am sure India will be followed by the other non-white colonies leaving the organization mostly with Canada and Australia. If we have BJP rule at that time this might happen as they have no "fond " memories of the Raj. With the decline of the UK, the current organization has no meaning. When they proclaim Prince Charles the new king, they will just have to omit the head of commonwealth part.
Gautam
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

May woos Modi as UK pursues free-trade deal with India
Britain and India have laid the ground for a possible post-Brexit bilateral free trade deal and signed off on a series of commercial agreements worth up to £1bn, according to Downing Street.

Brexit opponents claim the chances of Britain securing a trade deal with India superior to a Indian-EU deal are a fantasy unless the UK makes major concessions on Indian skilled labour accessing UK markets. Karan Bilimoria, the British Indian entrepreneur and life peer, insisted Modi’s priority was a free trade deal with the EU.

Britain is nevertheless lavishing diplomatic attention over Narendra Modi, the Indian prime minister, thanking him for breaking a decade of Indian indifference to the Commonwealth by personally attending the Commonwealth summit and so giving the post-colonial assembly greater relevance.

Modi did not attend the Commonwealth summit in Malta two years ago, and his predecessor, Manmohan Singh, missed the 2011 summit in Australia and its successor in Sri Lanka in 2013.

But Modi, who was personally courted by both Prince Charles and Theresa May to attend the talks, regards the Commonwealth as a useful multilateral forum from which China, India’s great rival, is absent. He is also looking for allies in any trade war with the US.

In common with most Commonwealth leaders, Modi also sees the visit as a chance to woo the City of London and court foreign direct investment.

The Indian prime minister has been rewarded for his commitment to the Commonwealth with Wednesday’s lengthy bilateral meeting with May, an audience with the Queen, a visit with Prince Charles to the Science Museum and a commitment that British intelligence will help fight Pakistan-based militant groups.

In a further sign of British respect, Modi’s plane from Sweden was greeted at Heathrow by the foreign secretary, Boris Johnson. Modi’s aides also claimed he was travelling in a limousine when many other heads of state were due to travel to a Windsor retreat in a bus.

Narendra Modi is greeted by the Queen during a private audience at Buckingham Palace this week. Photograph: WPA/Getty Images
At a packed town-hall-style meeting in Central Hall Westminster, Modi spoke of his rise from tea seller to visitor to a royal palace, and said the days of incremental change in India were over. Throughout the day he was also pursued by hundreds of demonstrators protesting gainst his attitude to Kashmir, Hindu nationalism and the failure to act against horrific instances of sexual violence against women, including the rape of an eight-year-old Muslim girl.

British ministers say a free trade deal with India is a priority after Brexit, but the joint Indian-UK statement issued after the bilateral meeting acknowledges that the UK cannot sign any new deal until the Brexit transition period ends. The EU is also locked in talks with India over a free trade deal, a subject Modi will raise with the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, in a stopover before he returns to India from London.

After Brexit the UK will initially simply seek to replicate the EU-Indian free trade deal, but any bespoke agreement will be hard to negotiate since India will be looking for concessions on visa travel from India to the UK.

The lengthy bilateral deal signed by the two countries covers cyberspace, technology sharing, solar energy, sustainable urban development, water management, animal husbandry, safe use of nuclear energy, artificial intelligence and big-data analytics.

The joint agreement said a “secure, free, open, inclusive and prosperous Indo-Pacific” was in the interests of India, the UK and the international community, adding: “The UK and India will also work together to tackle threats such as piracy, protect freedom of navigation and open access, and improve maritime domain awareness in the region.”

India regards the statement as significant given Beijing’s tough approach to disputes to the South China Sea and attempts to increase its footprint in the Indo-Pacific region.
I'd prefer if most London banks shift bases to Mumbai, help it to become a major Finance center.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... eal-brexit
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

jaysimha wrote:Image

Ajay Piramal (Next to our PM) and Abidali Neemuchwala (in the corner) are seated on the front row
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

g.sarkar wrote:The death of QEII should be the occasion for India to quietly leave the Commonwealth. I am sure India will be followed by the other non-white colonies leaving the organization mostly with Canada and Australia. If we have BJP rule at that time this might happen as they have no "fond " memories of the Raj. With the decline of the UK, the current organization has no meaning. When they proclaim Prince Charles the new king, they will just have to omit the head of commonwealth part.
Gautam
+1

I still can’t get over the fact that India continues to be associated with word “Commonwealth”. A group of countries that were part of British Empire, who are still hanging out together, for what??

Buy making these trips to London, all the nations and people continue to occupy hotels, eat and dine, shop in London that continues to transfer wealth to the city that once hosted people that looted and robbed civilized world. Indirectly supporting property prices and give business to effing British!ts. What a pity.. looks like U.K. has a nice plan brewing to keep India in CW and keep it relevant. Did we ever get the apology for mass murders of Indians and famine?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

An argument is being put forth that we could leverage our CW ties with Afro-Asian-Caribbean states and counter China's OBOR since China is not a member.There is some merit in this.At least in the genial atmosphere of the CW, India scores high on points. It gives the members an opportunity to meet together with the least amt. of controversy enabling them to further mutual relations with each other.The imperial nature of the CW was over a long time ago.What exists today is a quaint pageant.

NAM these days is a weakling but in view of CW2 ( Cold War), there is a pressing need for a return to sanity in intl. affairs in which a resurgent NAM could play a neutral and alternative role.
The absence of China in both orgs. gives India a great opportunity to enhance its relations with these member nations and outflank the Chinese .
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Hope there is some plan. If the argument was assessed on its own merit, I’m not convinced that just because China is not in the group, you can ignore relationship of member countries with China. And, national interest will always dominate. At the very least, have the CW meeting in India and support our hotels and tourism for heaven’s sake. Last one was in 1983 in India compared to 4 in the U.K., 2 in Canada, 2 in Australia.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

CW CHOGM meets are NOT held always in the UK.They move around the member countries.One was held in India a long time ago in Goa if I'm not mistaken, in '83 when after the confabulations in Delhi the heads moved to Goa.The Taj Holiday Village was specially built for that purpose if I remember right.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Yusuf Ali (Sitting 1st)
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

A few days old:
https://www.ft.com/content/b8b3c2a8-3d7 ... 972418fec4
Narendra Modi’s London visit may help thaw frosty relationship
British hope India will foster post-Brexit ties, but New Delhi to focus on visas

Kiran Stacey in New Delhi APRIL 15, 2018 Print this page90
Narendra Modi will this week become the first Indian prime minister in nine years to attend a Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting, fuelling hopes that the organisation can help Britain increase its diplomatic clout after it leaves the EU.
But the first item on Mr Modi’s agenda is likely to be visa liberalisation, something for which New Delhi has been campaigning unsuccessfully for years. The Indian government wants more student visas for Indians and for the process to be made easier for them to stay after completing their courses. 
One British official said Mrs May is planning to offer a more relaxed regime for those working in the tech sector, but not the kind of broad-based reforms for which India has been campaigning.
Britain, meanwhile, is hoping to advance its trade agenda during the visit, with a view to signing some form of trade agreement after the country has left the EU.
Last year, total bilateral trade jumped 15 per cent but this came after several years of falling exports and imports. At £18bn, the countries still traded less last year than they did in 2011, when the figure stood at £19.4bn.
“Trade has not really picked up in several years,” said Geethanjali Nataraj, professor of economics at the Indian Institute of Public Administration. “Britain is keen to sign a free-trade agreement eventually, but to do that it will have to offer easier visas.”
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTNHhFpp10
As an International reaction on Modi's London visit 2018, British media Analyst thinks Narendra Modi’s London visit may help thaw frosty relationship. British hope India will foster post-Brexit ties, but New Delhi to focus on visas. PM's "Bharat Ki Baat" Live At Mega London Event will give India-England partnership a new direction.
Gautam
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

I think it is lord swaraj paul next to him
next to him I think Rakesh Bharti Mittal ( elder Brother of Sunil Bharti Mittal of AIrtel )
Last edited by jaysimha on 20 Apr 2018 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Quite Frankly I hope there was some deal regarding Mallya being forced to repay some of his ill gotten gains, otherwise nothing much was achieved.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

I think an election should be held for the CW post. Charles (royalty or not) should stand for election. The champions of democracy shouldn't have any issues with that. :mrgreen:
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Aditya_V wrote:Quite Frankly I hope there was some deal regarding Mallya being forced to repay some of his ill gotten gains, otherwise nothing much was achieved.
I expect UK to agree something, and then work towards Modi's failure in election and then hand over Mallya to the new govt - Modi or UPA.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Why? Why to identify? last two rows are full of local sifarsis.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

^Last man standing in last row at far right, Jitesh Gadhia or as he is now known, Baron Gadhia.

"I think it is lord swaraj paul next to him"

Jaysimhaji, I think you may be wrong unless he has changed that much since I last saw him. I think it is Anil Agarwal of Vedanta
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

So anything useful came off this visit? Or is it the usual CW talking shop for timepass?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

arshyam wrote:So anything useful came off this visit? Or is it the usual CW talking shop for timepass?
Hmm.

British foreign office apologises after Indian flag burning incident - ANI
London [United Kingdom], Apr. 19 (ANI): British foreign office has apologised for India's national flag-burning incident, which took place at London's Parliament Square on Wednesday.

A group of Pakistan backed pro-Khalistani and Kashmiri protesters, in the presence of London Metropolitan Police, pulled down the tricolor from a pole at London's Parliament Square and replaced it with a flag representing PoK and Khalistan.

The incident took place when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was addressing the Indian community at Westminster yesterday.

"While people have the right to hold peaceful protests, we are disappointed with the action taken by a small minority in Parliament Square and contacted High Commissioner Yashvardhan Kumar Sinha as soon as we were made aware," according to Foreign and Commonwealth Office's statement, reported by asianlite.com.

The web portal also reported that the UK officials have arranged for a replacement flag to be put up at the Parliament Square.

The foreign office also mentioned that Prime Minister Modi's visit "has strengthened our relationship with India and we look forward to working even more closely together on a number of important areas."

The Indian Journalist Association has also taken note of the incident and called for a strong action against the wrongdoers. (ANI)
Of course, bartania being a land of free speech and all that is convenient to hide behind...
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

MEA expects action over Indian flag-burning incident - ANI
London [United Kingdom], Apr. 20 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday expressed displeasure over India's national flag-burning incident at London's Parliament Square on April 18, and said that they expected a legal action against the people who were involved in it.

"We're deeply anguished with the incident involving our national flag. The matter was taken up strongly with the United Kingdom side. They have regretted the incident. The flag was immediately replaced. We expect legal action against the people who were involved in this," said MEA's official spokesperson Raveesh Kumar.

On April 18, a group of Pakistan backed pro-Khalistani and Kashmiri protestors, in the presence of London Metropolitan Police, pulled down the Indian flag from a pole at London's Parliament Square and replaced it with a flag representing Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK) and Khalistan.

The incident took place when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was addressing the Indian community at Westminster.

Earlier, the British foreign office had apologised for the incident.

"While people have the right to hold peaceful protests, we are disappointed with the action taken by a small minority in Parliament Square and contacted High Commissioner Yashvardhan Kumar Sinha as soon as we were made aware," according to Foreign and Commonwealth Office's statement, reported by asianlite.com.

The web portal also reported that the United Kingdom officials had arranged for a replacement flag to be put up at the Parliament Square.

On a related note, addressing the Indian community at 'Bharat ki Baat, Sabke Saath' event at Westminster, Prime Minister Modi described Pakistan as a "terror export factory".

He said, "We believe in peace, but we will not tolerate those who like to export terror. We will give strong answers and in the language they understand. Terrorism will never be accepted". (ANI)
I am not holding my breath.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The" last wish" of the Queen in her twilight years to the assembled heads, that her son, also aging takes over from her .If it happens it will be for a much shorter period of headship and was unanimously agreed upon by the heads."Her wish was their command"! They could not be churlish to her, a Queen who for the better part of a century has headed her nation and strode the international stage with an unequalled composure and singular dignity- perhaps the only public figure of integrity in the British isles.

When she departs to her heavenly abode, the "Last Post" can be sounded for the British Empire upon which the sun never set. But for her son, who presided over the hand- over of Hong Kong decades ago, it will be deja vu. The current crop of British...sorry, I should say English politicos , have so little acumen, vision and statesmanship, that it beggars belief that they once had so (in) glorious and vast empire.

I said 3 decades ago that one day the UK would become the "jewel in the crown" of India.Perhaps our time has indeed come, for India lkke the leadership of NAM under Pandit Nehru who was acclaimed the world over as a profound and enlightened global statesman and champion of the newly independent colonies( until China and Mao taught him, India and the world a signal lesson), to lead the CW and a ressucitated NAM under the leadership of Mr.Modi.He has unlike Nehru a far stronger and accomplished armed force that can at least blunt a JV attack from China and Pak and back India's diplomacy with military force if required. Indian industry has forayed into Britain, Tatas and Mittal in particular, to lead Ind. industry into conquering cos. once considered Britain's family silver.The ever-rising fortunes of the Indian community in Britain is making its mark in all spheres.

But our PM must become more pro- active and aggressive in both the CW and NAM.Pipsqueak despots like Yameen in the Maldives insulting India ad nauseum must be put down with the firmest of foot.Cuba now has a new head , the first non- Castro. India needs to look far beyond the confines of the CW Club and provide the world a less controversial nation to engage with than China.There are huge opportunities for our PM on the international scene where he scores very heavily. "Cometh the hour, cometh the man". Will it be Modi for India? Only time will tell.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... e&from=mdr
LONDON: The Indian government is pressing for legal action against Sikh and Kashmiri separatists who tore down an Indian flag during a protest in the UK against Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit, cut it into shreds with a kirpan and burnt it.
The protesters, chanting anti-Indian slogans, provocatively replaced it with a “Khalistan” and an “Azad Kashmir” flag.

The large tricolour had been one of 53 flags put up in Parliament Square to welcome Commonwealth leaders to the Commonwealth Summit.
Loveena Tandon, who has been a foreign correspondent in the UK for 20 years, has made a complaint about intimidation and abusive language by the protesters to the Metropolitan Police.
She watched the flag being torn down on April 18 whilst Modi was meeting Indian scientists at the Francis Crick Institute along with British PM Theresa May. Tandon went to interview the men responsible and they shouted swear words at her and screamed “fake news”.
“Despite a huge presence of policemen no one was able to stop them,” she told TOI. “I was pushed and my phone fell down. Their body language was very aggressive and I felt intimidated and unsafe. I was rescued by a man who screamed at them, then he was kicked and then the police came and escorted us off. They looked like the same group that had been at the protest organised outside the high commission of India on Republic Day. How could the organisers of this protest allow a group to bring down the flag of a country? I would never have believed this could happen in London.”
Two groups at the protest, Sikhs for Justice and Referendum 2020, were calling for a referendum on a separate Sikh state in the year 2020. Kashmiri separatists were also present as were Sikhs calling for the release of UK national Jagtar Singh Johal who has been detained in Punjab and accused of targeted killings.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^^
That in-bred half-wit terrorists act like this is not surprising. For any Sikh, whose people are historically the greatest victims of the in-bred half-wits, to collude with these terrorists, is completely unforgivable.

It is not in India’s security interests to let the Khalistani supporters and their associates travel to India. We know who committed the act of insulting our flag; we should map their siblings, parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc and put them all on a blacklist to enter India. Let them go to the Islamic Republic when they feel homesick.
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

India's PM had pretty good interactions at the Science Museum-Imperial College, and at the new Francis Crick building which is Europe's largest Bioscience-Pharma hub in London.
Re: the flag
Some of these agitators are linked to the UPA network in London through a group called Awaaz that provides funding for this kind of disruption. A lot of them including many in the establishment press have been using this new buzzword - majoritarianism as a way of attacking the beliefs and culture of NM