ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk.1 & Mk.1A News & Discussions: 09 February 2018

Post by ArjunPandit »

Does that mean any completion of
1. additional modes in A2A mode
2. Completion of flight envelope
3. gun tested done
missile testing has already been done already.
What a change IAF guys must be expecting! A new highly capable plane that is "homegrown" too
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Indranil wrote:6 sorties per day! From all available aircrafts! From a new type of aircraft!

Kudos IAF! Kudos HAL! Kudos ADA!

I feel the air in my lungi! Wah! Wah! Wah!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:(( :((

Next line of attack from import lobby. Onree 6 sorties per plane. Grippen can do 16 or 60 take your pick. :(( :((
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Shiv posted a link once which said Gripen can do max 3 or 4 sorties and max flight time of some 4.5hr or so in a day. Numbers are hazy in my mind but are in ballpark. Similar limits exist for other aircrafts too.

No one should have any doubt in their minds that LCA is a world class and perhaps even a world beater aircraft by any standard and its only gonna improve further.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Such a testament about the foresight and sound judgement of the designer/developers

Reminds me of the famous 90's ad about Hero Honda motorbikes - Fill it, Shut it, Forget it

With the Tejas - Fill it, Load it, Fly it
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

"Just load it and fly it".

No too much checking or too much maintainces etc.

Can I tweet it?
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

SaiK wrote:LCA Tejas now capable to engage hostile Fighter Jets : IAF
http://www.defencenews.in/article.aspx?id=547828

We should use actual article source in BRF and not IDRW.
Sir, defencenews is also a news aggregator site.

Original source:

http://www.uniindia.com/~/lca-tejas-has ... 09834.html
barath_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by barath_s »

Rakesh wrote:IAF pushes for faster production of Tejas after Gagan Shakti-2018
https://m.economictimes.com/news/defenc ... 905916.cms

The Indian Air Force’s pan-India exercise Gagan Shakti-2018, for practising war-time drills witnessed the IAF pushing the limits of its every fighter aircraft, including the Tejas, which entailed conducting six sorties per day on all of them, totalling to about 9,000 sorties.
At 6 sorties per day x 6 days , that's 250-300 fighter aircraft at least participating. That's an appreciable amount of aircraft life invested for this exercise.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Yagnasri wrote:"Just load it and fly it".

No too much checking or too much maintainces etc.
The requisite amount of checking and maintenance will be done by a very professional and competent IAF

Based on recent public statements by the IAF, the Tejas performed impressively with the availability, turn around time, sortie rates as good or better as compared to other frontline fighter aircraft.

That to me, is just the Tejas proving itself to be one heck of a reliable and potent weapons package.
Yagnasri wrote:Can I tweet it?
I don't claim any copyright on those words. Feel free to use them :)
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

barath_s wrote:
Rakesh wrote:IAF pushes for faster production of Tejas after Gagan Shakti-2018
https://m.economictimes.com/news/defenc ... 905916.cms

The Indian Air Force’s pan-India exercise Gagan Shakti-2018, for practising war-time drills witnessed the IAF pushing the limits of its every fighter aircraft, including the Tejas, which entailed conducting six sorties per day on all of them, totalling to about 9,000 sorties.
At 6 sorties per day x 6 days , that's 250-300 fighter aircraft at least participating. That's an appreciable amount of aircraft life invested for this exercise.
The number of participating aircrafts must be higher than that. Almost entire force must have seen action.

I read the PIB news but it doesn't mention specifically how many days each phase lasted. What I understood so far is that the whole exercise was for 11 days in two phases and the second phase was the high tempo sortie phase of two days. Anyhow, I suppose at max about 2-3months worth of normal flight sorties must have been utilized in the exercise, which is what <2% of the life..? (For ref, Su-30MKI has 6000hrs Total life. 2% of that is 120hrs which is equivalent roughly 80-100 sorties). That's not too much. As such, such grand exercises come once in a long while. This is going to lay foundation for IAF war doctrine and SOPs for years, perhaps a couple of decades to come. So the investment is well worth anyhow.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

barath_s wrote:At 6 sorties per day x 6 days , that's 250-300 fighter aircraft at least participating. That's an appreciable amount of aircraft life invested for this exercise.
I hope with so many flight in air - PAF AWACS system didn't crashed tracking so many fighters near the western Border ( Pun intended) . there Radar operator must be going crazy on what to track :rotfl:
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Lot of browing of shalvars must have been there for sure.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JayS wrote:Shiv posted a link once which said Gripen can do max 3 or 4 sorties and max flight time of some 4.5hr or so in a day. Numbers are hazy in my mind but are in ballpark. Similar limits exist for other aircrafts too.

No one should have any doubt in their minds that LCA is a world class and perhaps even a world beater aircraft by any standard and its only gonna improve further.
Will search for the original link and post - meanwhile - the quote is here: Watch from here for about 30 seconds
https://youtu.be/IMG0M3VO_kc?t=94

The crucial point to note is that if the Gripen does 2 sorties that add up to 3 hours - it cannot fly that extra hour - it has to be taken down for 6 hours
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Not all sorties are short ones. I guess a mix of short, medium and long duration. So expecting six sorties per plane each day for every plane is too much.

JayS, Maybe most aircraft. Likely some reserve kept aside for actual conflict while this is going on.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JayS/Indranil/KaranM,

If a third line is needed to speed up Tejas production where should it be located and the costs?

We know Tejas second line cost was Rs. 1350 crores and lead time of 3 to 4 years.

Should this be a joint venture?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Considering that IAF must be having around 700 fighters give or take few, and that at least about 20% of those would be down for MRO/upgrades in various stages, around 550 fighters would be available for GS. And then they managed 80% availability. So total around 450 for jets. I dont think IAF would have kept any fighter out of GS. Since this is like a full war capability drill all would have participated at least partially. Not all fighter sq would have participated daily. Fighters on routine frontline duty might have participated on rotation at least I feel, if not for all days. And then there were two phases. Not all fighters would have participated in both phases. But I do feel, looking at the scale and overall intentions that IAF would have mobilized as much of its force as possible. Just so everyone can hone their skills.

Say 450 fighters shared 9000 sorties, that still give avg sortie rate of 20 sorties per aircraft over the whole excercise. Thats still impressive. Some of the sorties have been very long distance. Those aircrafts would have done like 1 sortie per day or less maybe in some cases. While few others like Tejas doing 6 sortoes per day.

We have some 5000 targets marked for bakis. IAF alone can easily bomb entire bakiland to stone age in 1 week max using just conventional fire power.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

JayS wrote:Considering that IAF must be having around 700 fighters give or take few, and that at least about 20% of those would be down for MRO/upgrades in various stages, around 550 fighters would be available for GS.
If squadron strength is down to 32 or less as is being reported, the total number of fighters must be between 500-550 rather than 700.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

ramana wrote:JayS/Indranil/KaranM,

If a third line is needed to speed up Tejas production where should it be located and the costs?

We know Tejas second line cost was Rs. 1350 crores and lead time of 3 to 4 years.

Should this be a joint venture?
Not any of them. But..
Apart from L&T Coimbatore, other fuselage section producers are BLR based. Tons of component suppliers all over. TN is making a push, NS is pushing (political considerations there to setup defence corridor in TN). You could build a new line somewhere in that TN belt and not be very far from BLR to keep costs and timelines down (in terms of mobility) but why not just build another in blr itself? Key would be check-out. You need an airstrip for FACO. Coimbatore could do it, if you build your line colocated with Sulur AFB. To what end though? What would you do with a say "12/year line for 6 years" after the 6 years?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

'Raja nanda bahvishayte!'

Or Paarkalam in Kamraj's one word.

Tejas Mk 2 will come up next.

I like the idea of new Tejas third line in TN Defence corridor.
Collocated in Sulur AFB cuts down on approvals etc.

Lets see if this gets traction.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Prasad can you write a short 500-750 word article advocating a Third Tejas line at Sulur AFB?
Tie in:
1)Ex Gagan Shakti shows Tejas performance and the need for speedy delivery to makeup the depleting squadrons> Current HAL plans/capacity not enough
2) L&T Coimbatore for fuselage
3) Aristrip at Sulur for Final Check out
4) Sulur IAF training airbase for Tejas flights.
5) TN Defence corridor needs a big ticket investment
6) Approvals process easy as Already IAF base.

Say in three weeks?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Roughly we have 230 Su30, 150 Jags, 70 MiG29, 120 MiG21 Bis, 50 M2K, 8-9 LCA and some MiG27 UPG. Right...?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Might need to talk to a few people first though :) Can't fly kites :)

Besides, writing on something else at the moment. Will do this after that is done.

2nd Besides - how do you get land for a production line at Sulur? Way way too expensive. Look at the map.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

JayS wrote:Roughly we have 230 Su30, 150 Jags, 70 MiG29, 120 MiG21 Bis, 50 M2K, 8-9 LCA and some MiG27 UPG. Right...?
small correction- 120 Bison, ~30 MiG-21bis. But fewer Jaguars, approx. 120 and 63 MiG-29s. 100 odd Hawks would add a useful CAS ability when armed with Brimstone and ASRAAM for some measure of self-protection.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Prasad wrote:Might need to talk to a few people first though :) Can't fly kites :)

Besides, writing on something else at the moment. Will do this after that is done.

2nd Besides - how do you get land for a production line at Sulur? Way way too expensive. Look at the map.
Per Wiki ADA/HAL already has plans to build AMCA at Sulur!!!!

So there are plans to sue that land anyway.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulur_Air_Force_Station
Future Plans[edit]

The Aeronautical Development Agency plans to set up the design and development for the Next Gen Technology Demonstrater for the AMCA 5th gen Fighter Jet here. The final assembly line will come up here at Sulur AFB and it will be equipped by DRDO. ADA has issued the Expression of Intrust and mentioned that AMCA will be built here.
So what is after 6 years of Tejas is AMCA!!!

So please get started on the plan.

If you cant would you care if someone else does it?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I saw a tweet by sjha or livefist that big sections of amca will be given to industry and hal will do final assembly and test like airbus toulouse does ie from day1 they will outsource
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Isn't the plan to build 24 LCAs a year require the same assembly and outsource model as well?

If they add a third line that will push it to 32 a year.
thammu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by thammu »

Big Brother's endorsement!!

Pak's JF-17 aircraft of present, but Tejas aircraft of future : IAF chief
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 019_1.html
Air Force Chief B S Dhanoa today said if Pakistan's fighter jet JF-17 is an aircraft of the present, then indigenously developed Tejas is the future.

JF-17 is a lightweight, single-engine, multi-role combat aircraft developed jointly by Pakistan and China.

"There is a very good article in one of the aviation journals. He (the author) says JF-17 is not as technologically advanced as Tejas. So, he said JF-17 aircraft is of today because they have fielded much more squadrons than us, and Tejas is the aircraft of the future. It has much better systems.

"It depends on how we equip it. I am sure we can come out with a better plane," Dhanoa said in response to a question on which one is a better aircraft.

Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, built by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), was inducted into the Indian Air Force in July 2016.

It was also pressed into service during the Air Force drill "Gaganshakti 2018" held this month.

Asked whether there were issues regarding Tejas during the exercise, Dhanoa responded in the affirmative. He said this could be because of moving the jets from Bengaluru, which has a temperate climate, to hot desert during the operation.

"But HAL got it up in less than six hours and thereafter, Tejas matched with other aircraft detail for detail," he said.

Replying to another question on whether Tejas can be compared to Rafale, the Air Force Chief said every fighter jet has different capability.

"If all the fighter (jets) of the Indian Airforce were high-end fighters then we have to be very rich. You got to have fighter jets which are high end and medium capability and low-end. So, Tejas comes in the medium capability aircraft (category)," he said.

Dhanoa added that the Air Force is moving towards making the aircraft better.

On Lockheed Martin's F-35 fighter jet, Dhanoa said the IAF has not envinced any interest nor has it talked to anyone that is keen on this aircraft.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Singha wrote:I saw a tweet by sjha or livefist that big sections of amca will be given to industry and hal will do final assembly and test like airbus toulouse does ie from day1 they will outsource
That's where LCA will be in a couple of years. AMCA would be just extension of the same model.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ramana wrote:Prasad can you write a short 500-750 word article advocating a Third Tejas line at Sulur AFB?
Tie in:
1)Ex Gagan Shakti shows Tejas performance and the need for speedy delivery to makeup the depleting squadrons> Current HAL plans/capacity not enough
2) L&T Coimbatore for fuselage
3) Aristrip at Sulur for Final Check out
4) Sulur IAF training airbase for Tejas flights.
5) TN Defence corridor needs a big ticket investment
6) Approvals process easy as Already IAF base.

Say in three weeks?
The points mentioned here are excellent justification and fit rather well logically speaking. And we would do good to create alternative facilities from strategic perspective. Right now we have too many eggs in same basket. One airstrike on HAL BLR could seriously set the whole national capability back by many years in the event of war.

If they choose a Indian Firm as integrator for AMCA, it would make sense to offload some of the LCA final integration work to them so they hone their skills by the time AMCA LSP starts. But it remains to be seen who will come forth for the work. I personally feel no foreign OEM should be given the work. It would be a bit mistake. And I have my doubts on any private desi companies coming forward (Those with money are happy with screwdrivergiri bestowed upon then by gora sahib and those who are willing and capable seems to lack financial muscle). They had been given a chance in past for 200 LCA MK2. They had cold feet it seems. I hope things have changed in last 3yrs. But its highly likely that HAL will win the contract for AMCA.

As to 3rd line only from LCA program perspective, I personally feel there is no more need anymore of 3rd line from LCA production rate perspective. Last 1-1.5yrs has shown that HAL is quite capable of upscaling the output. When the outsourcing as contracted already (70%), gets into rhythm, we will see 25/yr output from existing lines. HAL chairman has said as much multiple times. HAL plans to offload 10% more work so they have to do only 20% work. For going beyond 25/yr, all HAL has to do is put additional stations for final equipping. Once they offload full workload of structural subassemblies to Tier-1 companies in coming years, that much space will be available in existing hangers. That can be used to double or triple final assembly and equipping stage jigs/fixtures. Even some more space it needed its rather easy to put up one more hanger next to existing ones. That would be dead cheap. And HAL would already have well trained workforce to take up that work, which is freed once all the sub-assembly work is fully offloaded to tier-1 suppliers.

For beyond 25/yr output, what HAL needs to set up is tiny fraction. All suppliers would add additional capacity in their own facilities with their own money. The 1250 odd Cr cost we saw HAL needed to set up second line would be distributed among all the tier-1 suppliers now.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Kartik wrote:
JayS wrote:Roughly we have 230 Su30, 150 Jags, 70 MiG29, 120 MiG21 Bis, 50 M2K, 8-9 LCA and some MiG27 UPG. Right...?
small correction- 120 Bison, ~30 MiG-21bis. But fewer Jaguars, approx. 120 and 63 MiG-29s. 100 odd Hawks would add a useful CAS ability when armed with Brimstone and ASRAAM for some measure of self-protection.
Thanks. I meant Bison only when I wrote Bis. I get confused between the two often. I thought all except the upgraded 6 Sq of Bison are now retired. I didn't include AJTs deliberately. Not sure if IAF doctrine considers using them in wartime for frontline duty. Some Hawks did participate in GS though.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Pak's JF-17 aircraft of present, but Tejas aircraft of future : IAF chief

"If all the fighter (jets) of the Indian Airforce were high-end fighters then we have to be very rich. You got to have fighter jets which are high end and medium capability and low-end. So, Tejas comes in the medium capability aircraft (category)," he said.

So it light fighter with a medium capability. <- Neutral

or

So it light fighter with a medium fighter capability. <- Very positive

or

We have got the promotion from light fighter to medium fighter. <- Very very positive
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Ramana,
even if land is easy(-ier), the question then arises of cost-benefit for duplication of facilities. Sure, as someone above said, strategic consideration could be one but you'd have babus and cag haranguing you for establishing a copy of HAL BLR. We'll come back to the same old chicken n egg problem. Without orders, no pvt sector co will want to set it up. Without setup or atleast plans and fin outlay, IAF/babus/whoever makes the decisions won't place orders. Needs a strong RM with no elections looming large. Sigh.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

JayS wrote:
Kartik wrote:
Thanks. I meant Bison only when I wrote Bis. I get confused between the two often. I thought all except the upgraded 6 Sq of Bison are now retired. I didn't include AJTs deliberately. Not sure if IAF doctrine considers using them in wartime for frontline duty. Some Hawks did participate in GS though.
Hawks may be used for defensive roles but much nearer to there bases; more of a last line of defence
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

From LCA Tejas FB Page
#LCATejas LSP-7 Fires a Derby BVR Missile.
The Missile Achieves Full Operational Capability leading to an important element for FOC of Tejas.

27th April 2018

LCA Tejas LSP-7 (KH-2017) successfully fired a Derby BVR missile from the western coast of the country while taking off from INS Hansa, Goa as a final step towards certifying the BVR. This was a significant trial where the above specified missile will now have the full operational capability
Video of Tejas firing Derby BVR ...

sarang
BRFite

Post by sarang »

is it me or Tejas didn´t fired anything in that video
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

sarang wrote:is it me or Tejas didn´t fired anything in that video

look from 7 sec. , the other aircraft
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

nash wrote:
sarang wrote:is it me or Tejas didn´t fired anything in that video

look from 7 sec. , the other aircraft
Thanks. I missed it. A slo-mo video
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

RKumar wrote:Pak's JF-17 aircraft of present, but Tejas aircraft of future : IAF chief

So it light fighter with a medium capability. <- Neutral

or

So it light fighter with a medium fighter capability. <- Very positive

or

We have got the promotion from light fighter to medium fighter. <- Very very positive
He was talking purely about capability, he did not mention or refer to weight at all, neither did he use the word light.

Either way it is great for us.
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

putnanja wrote:From LCA Tejas FB Page
#LCATejas LSP-7 Fires a Derby BVR Missile.
The Missile Achieves Full Operational Capability leading to an important element for FOC of Tejas.

27th April 2018

LCA Tejas LSP-7 (KH-2017) successfully fired a Derby BVR missile from the western coast of the country while taking off from INS Hansa, Goa as a final step towards certifying the BVR. This was a significant trial where the above specified missile will now have the full operational capability
Time to order a bunch of new nose cones plus Derbys and deploy the sps to Punjab for some live target firing at the jf-17 :twisted:
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Indian Defence @IndianDefenceRA
Follow Follow @IndianDefenceRA
More
27th April 2018

LCA Tejas LSP-7 (KH-2017) successfully fired a Derby BVR missile from the western coast of the country while taking off from INS Hansa, Goa as a final step towards certifying the BVR.