India-Russia: News & Analysis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Re: India-Russia: News & Analysis

Post by Viv S »

Cain Marko wrote:You really think so Viv? Who will challenge Trump? Note that most presidencies since Carter tend to be two terms.
I do. Probably someone boring (although compared to Trump, most people are boring). Bush Sr. was a one termer as well.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Parasu wrote:Trump may be a ***** star for all I care. He is the US president. He is dictating American policy.
His pressure on India on trade issues is counterproductive. The biggest objective of any Indian govt is to maintain high growth rate and alleviate poverty.
Dictating policy.. for now. To quote the inimitable Sir Humphrey Appleby, "diplomacy is about surviving until the next century, politics is about surviving until Friday afternoon".
We are getting ahead of ourselves. First we need to destroy Pakistan. If playing on all sides with all powers help, then so be it.
Frankly, I dont mind India warming up to Chipandas in return for China ending its support for the Pakis.
That is why I included china in the list of countries India should engage with.
Given that China has nurtured Pakistan with the express objective of playing it off against India (though its recently taken a turn towards neo-colonial economic extraction with the OBOR/CPEC), the idea of cutting off support for greater warmth from India, is unlikely to gain much traction in Beijing. At least no more than China's proposal to improve bilateral relations by exchanging Tawang for the Chinese 'concessions' in the (barren emptiness of) Aksai Chin, would in New Delhi.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The US is trying to blackmail India into cancelling the huge arms deals in the pipeline using CAATSA. While saying ghat it is meant only to hurt Russia, the underlying threat is to India."Dump Russia or else..."Tina Kaidanov, a Yanqui mouthpiece...with bad breath, is to visit India and spew her halitosis in our faces.The NSA dolt, Bolt..on and Sec. of State,pompous Pompeo have had talks earlier with our officials , Gokhale and Mohan Kumar of the MEA and Def.Min respectively.They have also made telephonic calls.

However PM Modi and Ru.Pres.Putin are shortly to meet to firm up the relationship and defence and strategic ties.
Measures to circumvent any cheap and boorish US blackmail attempts.We should pay the US back in the same coin by blacklisting US defence MNCs.Whatever milware we have obtained from the US can easily be obtained from other Western, Israeli and Russian OEMs.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Sochi informal summit LIVE: PM Narendra Modi leaves for Russia, to meet President Putin today
PM Modi's itinerary in Sochi, Russia
09.40 am: Arrival in Sochi

01.05 pm: Restricted talks with President Vladimir Putin

02.00 pm: Lunch and Tete-e-Tete with President Vladimir Putin

03.45 pm: Visit to Moya Russia-Ethno Centre

05.00 pm: Visit to Sirius Educational Centre

06.10 pm: Departure for Delhi
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

US makes India a catspaw with CAATSA sanctions legislation
HIGHLIGHTS

A US legislation has become Washington’s poison-tipped arrow threatening India-Russia defence ties
The Trump admin is using it to wean countries such as India away from the Russian arms industry to sell more US weapons
In India’s case, the immediate efforts are aimed at nixing a $4.5 billion India-Russia defence deal
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

What are "Restricted talks"?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Guess 1 to 1 talks with just interpertor

Nitin Ghokle

As Prime Minister Modi embarks on a day-long visit to Russia, India's foreign policy establishment is grappling with a global order in perpetual flux. NewsWarrior takes a long, hard look at what is in store

Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Vips wrote: You wrote that india needs to balance between China, Russia and US. Why should we balance and for what? So that Russia would hypothetically take care of our interests and help us should a situation inimical to us arises , right? I pointed out with respect to China it a non starter, as playing all sides will give you the feeling that all is well for us but in reality it will not be so, the Russian action is a foregone conclusion.
India should balance on all sides to attain its two objectives. High rate of economic growth and destruction of Poakistan.

Remember that Putin is not doing us any favors by giving us the spares . We are paying $$ for the same. Putin is not exactly in a position to turn down cash.
No, he is not doing us any favours. But if all it costs is to humour his ego a little, thats a small price to pay.
Modi tried to placate Trump by reducing import duty on American motorcycles. That didnt get anywhere. Lets see if we can work on Putin.
As for armaments - Well there are alternate sources available.
Not for spares. Not for Brahmos type joint ventures. Not for help with miniaturising nuclear units for Arihant.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Viv S wrote: Dictating policy.. for now. To quote the inimitable Sir Humphrey Appleby, "diplomacy is about surviving until the next century, politics is about surviving until Friday afternoon".
Indian foreign policy must be shaped by how eccentric the US president is or gonna be !!?? Really !!
Trump has done long-term damage to American relationship with friends and allies. I doubt India cares much for who the next President is gonna be. The relationship has turned transnational. And that is how it should be with countries whose own foreign policy changes every 4 years.
Given that China has nurtured Pakistan with the express objective of playing it off against India (though its recently taken a turn towards neo-colonial economic extraction with the OBOR/CPEC), the idea of cutting off support for greater warmth from India, is unlikely to gain much traction in Beijing. At least no more than China's proposal to improve bilateral relations by exchanging Tawang for the Chinese 'concessions' in the (barren emptiness of) Aksai Chin, would in New Delhi.
Indian economy is booming. Chinese trade with India is booming. China would hardly want India to join an alliance directed against it.
Xi-Jinping is now president for life. And dictators have control over foreign policy like no other. So Chinese foreign policy can change overnight. It is not so far-fetched. Turkey and Russia have 200 year old hostile relationship. Two dictators, Putin and Erdogan seem to be agreeing to everything these days. The problem is more with the momentum of Indian foreign policy than with changing Chinese behaviour.
There is no harm in trying to warm up to China. Well, if Donald Trump can lick Xi`s boots, we can certainly try to have good ties with them.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Meeting with Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/57506

President of Russia Vladimir Putin: Mr Prime Minister, friends,

Allow me to welcome you wholeheartedly in Russia.

I would like to start by thanking you for accepting our invitation and coming to this meeting.

There is no need to explain Russian-Indian relations, since we all know that they have deep roots. However, we have been able to create additional momentum recently. Last year, our trade saw a significant increase, adding another 17 percent since the beginning of this year.

Russia and India are proactive in their foreign policy cooperation, including within international organisations such as the UN, BRICS, and now the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. We have established close contacts and collaboration between our defence agencies. All this is indicative of the high level of strategic relations between our countries.

We are delighted to see you, Mr Prime Minister, and consider you personally as a big friend of our country. We are very glad to be able to have this meeting.

Welcome!

Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi (retranslated): Your Excellency, President Vladimir Putin,

Russia is India’s old-time friend. We share long-standing historical ties, and Mr President is my personal friend, and a friend of India.

I am very glad to meet with Mr President in Sochi. I am the first Prime Minister of India to visit this city.

We share long-standing ties; we hold bilateral meetings. I would like to thank President Putin for organising this informal meeting and inviting me. This initiative is yet another step in developing our relations.

Mr Putin, you have been elected President of the Russian Federation for your fourth term. I want to congratulate you on that. My best wishes. We have already discussed it by telephone, but I wanted to congratulate you in person, and we were able to arrange this meeting at very short notice. Let me congratulate you on my own behalf, as well as on behalf of 1.3 billion people of India.

Mr President, you were elected President for the first time back in 2000, and made a major contribution to developing relations with India. In 2000, you made your first visit to India when Atal Bihari Vajpayee was Prime Minister. You said very eloquently back then that India and Russia were ancient civilisations and vibrant democracies. People remember your words very well and highly appreciate what you said.

Russia and you specifically always played a very important role in my political career. In 2001, when I served as Chief Minister of Gujarat, I made my first visit to Russia with Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. And you were the first international leader I met as Chief Minister. Moscow and you yourself marked the beginning of my career.

Over the past 18 years I had a chance to sit down with you and discuss important bilateral matters with a view of further developing our relations.

Eighteen years ago, you and Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee planted the seeds of strategic Russian-Indian partnership. We can say proudly now that this partnership, the seeds of which you planted, has grown into a huge tree of privileged strategic partnership. It is a major achievement in itself.

We held annual bilateral summit meetings for the past 18 years. You also used informal meetings to add an innovative element to our ties. This is a very good opportunity to discuss our relations.

For the past four years, you and I stood side by side in the bilateral format and on the international stage. We openly talked about all aspects of our relations and chose the path for our onward movement. I am very glad that it was so.

When you visited India for the first time in 2000, Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee said that India as a friend of Russia wants Russia to be a strong and confident country holding an important place in a multipolar world. This dream of Mr Vajpayee is leading us towards success, and I am glad that we have been part of this plan.

Mr President, we work together at international organisations, such as the SCO. You played a key role in granting India full membership in the SCO and BRICS, the Conference on Interaction and Confidence-Building Measures in Asia (CICA), as well as in such mechanisms as the North-South International Transport Corridor. We are working together within these organisations and mechanisms.

Being a real friend, you never forget about me. Last year you invited me to the St Petersburg International Economic Forum. It was a great privilege to be invited by you as a guest of honour. I am grateful to you for this. This year’s forum will be held in St Petersburg this week. My very best wishes.

Mr President, the world is looking forward to the FIFA World Cup, for which you have prepared so carefully. The world will be looking at Russia. I wish you every success.

I would like to thank you once again for inviting me to this unofficial meeting.

(In Russian.) Spasibo.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Raveesh Kumar
‏Verified account
@MEAIndia
Follow Follow @MEAIndia
More
Boat ride on the Black Sea! PM @narendramodi and Russian President #Putin had plenty to discuss as they sail together from Bocharev Creek to Olympic Park in #Sochi. @IndEmbMoscow

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Narendra Modi in Russia LIVE: PM says discussion with President Vladimir Putin ‘extremely productive’

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... ycw2H.html
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.firstpost.com/world/narendr ... 76563.html
Narendra Modi in Sochi: All you need to know about CAATSA that threatens to scupper PM's Russia outreach
As Prime Minister Narendra Modi heads to Sochi this week to meet Russian president Vladimir Putin, the threat of US sanctions loom large over the "informal bilateral talks". Of particular interest will be US sanctions against Moscow that might impact Russian military supplies to India, especially an estimated Rs 40,000-crore deal to buy sophisticated long-range S-400 air defence system.
An IANS report said American sanctions against Russian oligarchs and companies, including Rosoboronexport, the State-owned Russian weapons trading company, has raised concerns in India about a possible impact on New Delhi's military buys from Moscow.
Rosoboronexport has long-standing significant contracts and business ties with India and other countries.
At the heart of the current India-Russia military ties is a multi-billion dollar deal for five S-400 long-range surface-to-air missile systems, billed as a game changer by the Indian military for its ability to counter ballistic missiles and stealth aircraft like those China is developing.
CAATSA India and Russia signed an agreement in principle for the S-400 deal in 2016. However, the deal may now be seen through the lens of CAATSA (Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act).
CAATSA, which was signed into law in August last year by President Donald Trump, aims to counter anti-US aggression displayed by countries like Iran, North Korea and Russia through a series of punitive measures. The sanctions aimed to punish Moscow for its meddling in Ukraine, Syria, the 2016 presidential elections, and most recently, Russia's alleged involvement in the poisoning of a former intelligence officer in the United Kingdom.
However, an unlikely victim of the US-Russia crossfire could be India, which still buys over 60 percent of its defence equipment from Russia. At present, the Indian armed forces are 70 percent equipped with Soviet or Russian weapons. And among the provisions of CAATSA is secondary sanctions on countries who are found to be dealing with the Russian defence and intelligence sectors.
And though New Delhi has repeatedly insisted it won't allow its foreign policy decisions regarding a particular country to be dictated by the policies of another, the US has tried to reduce the coziness of India-Russia ties. As reported by The Times of India, Washington is using the sanctions to wean countries like India away from the Russian arms industry and into buying more American weapons.
US officials have reminded India that CAATSA is Congressionally-mandated and the administration's hands may be tied in terms of waivers if India goes in for new purchases. "CAATSA is a feature and we need to take it seriously. The (Trump) administration is always bound by US law. This is a US law. I'm hoping that not just India, but all of the partners that we engage with will understand that we will have to evaluate any potential large defence purchase from Russia seriously because that’s what the law demands of us," Tina Kaidanow, principal deputy assistant secretary of state for political-military affairs, was quoted by news agency PTI as saying.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://thediplomat.com/2018/05/why-pun ... ed-states/
Why Punishing India on Russia Would Be a Mistake for the United States
Though workarounds can be found, a troubling new piece of legislation has once again raised concerns regarding the U.S.-India defense relationship.
In an effort to punish Russia for interfering in the U.S. election in 2016, the U.S. Congress adopted the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) — and did so on an overwhelmingly bipartisan basis over the objection of U.S. President Donald Trump, whom many in Congress considered weak on Russia. To put the squeeze on Russia, CAATSA imposes sanctions on anyone who knowingly engages in a significant transaction with Russia’s defense or intelligence sectors. The elephant in the room is that India is actively considering purchasing S-400 Triumf advanced air defense systems worth $4.5 billion from Russia. Such a purchase would certainly qualify as significant.
CAATSA puts India in a tight spot because the country has traditionally purchased Russian defense systems. Between 2004 and 2014, roughly 75 percent of India’s weapons imports were from Russia. CAATSA asks India to stop on a dime, reverse its spending decisions, and cut out a long-time supplier.
The Act does not take into account the fact that India has been moving away from Russia and toward the United States. After all, the main focus of CAATSA is Russia—the true bad actor in this story. A report from the Parliament’s Standing Committee on Defense found that U.S. firms concluded 13 contracts with India worth roughly $4.3 billion over the last three years while Russia secured 12 contracts for only $1.2 billion.
This is a great trend—one that industry will continue to build upon as long as sanctions don’t upset the apple cart. We have long advocated that India should buy its defense systems from the United States, starting with the F-16 from Lockheed Martin and F-18 from Boeing. If the United States were to sanction India over the S-400, then India would come under extreme political pressure to avoid any major deal with U.S. defense companies.
Gautam
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Lot of fearmongering from US pasand journos. Now lifafa is coming from massa.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi visited the "My Russia" cultural and ethnographic center in Krasnaya Polyana

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/57509

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Narendra Modi
Verified account

@narendramodi
10h10 hours ago
More
Sharing some highlights from the Informal Summit in Sochi. I thank President Putin for the exceptional hospitality.

India in Vladivostok
‏Verified account

@cgivladivostok
17m17 minutes ago
More
http://www.mea.gov.in/press-releases.ht ... ay+21+2018
@MEAIndia @mfa_russia @IndEmbMoscow @IndianDiplomacy @PIB_India

Last edited by Austin on 22 May 2018 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Pankaj Saran

@PankajSaran11
9h9 hours ago
More
Just seen off Prime Minister. Breaking protocol President Putin saw off Prime Minister Modi at airport after a hectic and productive day together. @MEAIndia

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

TOI. PM-Putin meet elevates ties to "special privileged strategic partnership.

Our PM said that "Our ties will
continue to scale newer heights in the coming years".
A late evening note from the MEA said that both sides would " intensify consultation and coordination with each other , including the Indo- Pacific region ".

It appears from the hug and beaming smile that the PM
gave Pres.Putin that the personal equation is excellent .
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featu ... 37994.html
Modi meets Putin as India walks US-Russia tightrope
Indian PM traveled to Sochi to hold talks with Russia's Putin, with geopolitical issues on the agenda of summit.
New Delhi's overtures towards Moscow come at a time when India is facing the heat of a US trade war through hefty import tariffs.
The aggressive new approach towards Iran adopted by the administration of US President Donald Trump is also upsetting India's carefully laid plans in Tehran, including operations at a strategic port in which India has pledged to invest $500m.
Reinvigorating ties
Earlier this month, Modi sent his top emissaries to Russia in what analysts say are moves aimed at reinvigorating ties with a traditional ally after a brief period of coolness. Top Indian officials were sent to Moscow ahead of Modi's trip. This included a three-day trip by India's Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman last month. India's National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale also held talks with top Russian officials, NSA Nikolai Pathrushev and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Moscow on May 10.
"The Moscow-New Delhi ties were never hostage to a third country despite the perception to the contrary,” said Nitin Gokhale, a national security analyst based in New Delhi. "What New Delhi is essentially doing is to reaffirm the long-standing robust relationship between the two and continue to support each other on crucial geopolitical matters like Iran and BRICS [an association of five emerging economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa]. "The meetings between Indian and Russian officials are aimed at "reaffirming an old partnership" even as geopolitical realities in the region are changing again. As the right-wing government of Prime Minister Modi pursued closer ties with Washington since it came to power in 2014, relations between India and Russia had taken a back-seat.
Trump's America-first policy
A report in Russian business daily, Kommersant, in November last year said Moscow was miffed with India reportedly allowing US forces access to a Russian-built nuclear-powered submarine that is currently on lease to the Indian navy. The report quoted Russian officials considering these as "unfriendly acts towards Russia". "The last thing Moscow wants to do is to alienate India now, even though India's participation in certain military exercises with the US was certainly received without much joy in Moscow," Dmitry Babich, a Russian political analyst based in Moscow, told Al Jazeera. "So, even though Moscow may have felt bitter about Modi's rapprochement with the US, Russian officials never made any remarks that could be interpreted in India as hostile or even critical," he said. "Russia is seeking new partners but Russia does not want to lose old ones," he added.
Moscow has long been the main supplier of military equipment to India, but in recent years, New Delhi has been inching towards the US and Israel for weapons supply. But with Trump's America-first policy – as part of which the US has slapped new trade tariffs affecting Indian and Chinese firms, New Delhi is working to improve its relations with Russia and China. In April, Indian Defence Minister Sitharaman, in an address at a security conference in Moscow said, "Russia has re-established its role and influence in global strategic and defence matters". India is friends with and trades extensively with Russia and Iran that are currently facing American sanctions. New Delhi, one of the biggest buyers of Iranian crude, will have to find measures to nullify the effect of US sanctions on Iran, which would certainly be high on the agenda of talks between Modi and Putin, experts say.
Gautam
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

So, what's really brewing ? Other than the chai-biscoot diplomacy and photo ops, what are the real take-aways ?

I guess I was expecting "tactical" stuff like getting S400's cheaper or decided to get FGFAs or advanced the KA-226 deal one more step or something similar. All this strategic partner thing is too abstract for me to comprehend
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Any idea what car modi is travelling in at 4:34 in the video link after reaching sochi does not look like his usual BP Mercedes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXVXinGu-w
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

ramana wrote:Lot of fearmongering from US pasand journos. Now lifafa is coming from massa.
Americans sanctions on India will blacklist US defence firms from marketing their products to India. This isn't an issue because what we need is not on offer.

The sanctions will halt current procurements(m777, Apache etc). It will also ground our transport crafts like c130 and Globemaster. We will have to sell these to other countries.

The Modi visit to Russia appears to be preparation for the upcoming sanctions.

Btw, evicting the American embassies and diplomats out of India automatically evicts them out of whole south Asia. We are not an American ally. There is nothing stopping us from taking that step as a response to sanctions.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

nvishal wrote:
ramana wrote:Lot of fearmongering from US pasand journos. Now lifafa is coming from massa.
Americans sanctions on India will blacklist US defence firms from marketing their products to India. This isn't an issue because what we need is not on offer.

The sanctions will halt current procurements(m777, Apache etc). It will also ground our transport crafts like c130 and Globemaster. We will have to sell these to other countries.

Btw, evicting the American embassies and diplomats out of India automatically evicts them out of whole south Asia. We are not an American ally. There is nothing stopping us from taking that step as a response to sanctions.
This is seriously your reading of the current events? :eek:

Frankly, even your posts on 'why can't we use SU-30 engines on the LCA' make more sense than this.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

srin wrote:So, what's really brewing ? Other than the chai-biscoot diplomacy and photo ops, what are the real take-aways ?

I guess I was expecting "tactical" stuff like getting S400's cheaper or decided to get FGFAs or advanced the KA-226 deal one more step or something similar. All this strategic partner thing is too abstract for me to comprehend
No deals could have been signed or forwarded as this was an informal meeting.
It started on a sour note with Putin stating that there was no need to repeat the history of India-Russia ties. That means - "Please dont give sentamycin-500 to everyone".
But, by the end of the day, the statements from India say that they had a very productive discussion. Also Putin came to drop Modi to the airport. So overall a good meeting.
And good decision by the Indian gobermint to plan this. Hopefully we will see some expansion in ties. Like Putin said- trade has gone up by 17%. But lots more is needed. Bilateral trade has to go op for strengthening of ties. The two countries cant forever remain traders in buyer-seller relationship of armaments. That would be very problematic.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

What is brewing?!
India was getting closer to US due to its issues with a fast-growing China. The last foreign secretary was former US ambassador.
Then Trump came along and started sucking up to China. At the same time, he is putting pressure on India on trade issues, Caatsa etc.
The new foreign secretary is a China hand.
Now India is telling US to go f@ck itself. With two informal summits, one to China and one to Russia, India is telling all powers that it is open for business- "in geostrategic terms".
US can forget Comcasa. Australia wont be joining Malabar exercises anytime in the near future. Weapon purchases will be made from Russia or Israel. Russia-India will cooperate in Afghanistan, etc etc.
My assessment onlee.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I think that you're right.What the meeting was about was to reaffirm the special relationship and ties and agree that no matter what threats emerged from the US, nothing would stop the joint Indo-Russian cooperation in various disciplines which also involve other nations like Iran.
By Trump's asinine attitude towards Russia in the main,plus the new diatribe against Iran and telling NoKo that it will turn it into another Libya,he risks bringing together all the affected nations into an anti- US bloc.

Imagine if this forces the creation of a triad of Russia, China and India! If these 3 nations get together economically- but here China has to massively reduce the $60B trade deficit with India, it would have a huge global impact with the possible dumping of the $ as the currency of choice.If it also weakens or dumps the Indo-US mil ties and exercises, it will herald the beginning of the end of the US as the major mil power in the Indo-Pacific.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

http://pib.nic.in/PressReleaseIframePag ... ID=1532998
Prime Minister's Office
Informal Summit between India and Russia
Posted On: 21 MAY 2018 10:16PM by PIB Delhi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Vladimir Putin held their first informal Summit in the city of Sochi in the Russian Federation on May 21, 2018. The Summit provided an occasion for both leaders to deepen their friendship and to exchange views on international and regional issues, in keeping with the tradition of high level political exchanges between India and Russia.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Heard from my local corner chocolate shop wallah...........PM modi ji discussed about possibility long term working visa for 200000 farmers from Punjab and Haryana. Russia has fertile land but no manpower. move will make Russia a food exporter within 3 years and hardworking farmers get mullah. Salam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.financialexpress.com/defenc ... e/1176768/
Sochi Informal Meeting: PM Modi assures Putin that India-Russia defence deals not in trouble
The one-on-one talks between PM Modi and President Putin focused on various global issues. But, one of the major focus of the discussion was the defence ties between India and Russia. It was reported that India has assured that it would not allow any third party or a country to influence its relationship with Russia.
The one-on-one talks between PM Modi and President Putin focused on various global issues. But, one of the major focus of the discussion was the defence ties between India and Russia. India and Russia have been major defence partners, with Russia being the top exporter of arms to India. The two countries which have signed an agreement in principle for the S-400 Triumf, has been suffering due to the US’s policy decision called CAATSA (Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act). CAATSA, signed by Donald Trump last year, aims to counter the US adversaries through a series of sanctions. The act ensures that any country that engages in large transactions with the adversaries of the US for defence purposes will be under CAATSA scanner. The issue of CAATSA was also raised informal talk between PM Modi and President Putin. It was reported by India Today, that India has assured that it would not allow any third party or a country to influence its relationship with Russia.
The two leaders also held detailed discussions on the growing issue of terrorism. Both of them expressed their concern over increasing radicalisation in South Asia and also said that they would combat terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. They also agreed that speedy work needs to be done in Afghanistan and that peace in the country would also bring stability in the region. They also assured each other that they would work together in countering terror funding networks and also root out all financial systems that are involved in funding terrorism in the region.
The two leaders agreed that it is important to have a multi-polar world today. In achieving the same, Modi and Putin agreed to work together in various multilateral organisations such as United Nations, G-20, SCO and BRICS. India also tabled discussions on International North South Transport Corridor. They also agreed to institute a Strategic Economic Dialogue between NITI Aayog of India and the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation. The two leaders also agreed to expand bilateral trade and investment. In this regard, they welcomed the arrival of the first consignment of Liquified Natural Gas, a project between GAIL and Gazprom, a Russian gas company.
Gautam
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Hope PM Modi mentioned that India Russia energy trade will be tenfold if President Putin work with us on taking over part of POK which give us land route connection with Afghanistan .
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Austin wrote:US makes India a catspaw with CAATSA sanctions legislation
HIGHLIGHTS

A US legislation has become Washington’s poison-tipped arrow threatening India-Russia defence ties
The Trump admin is using it to wean countries such as India away from the Russian arms industry to sell more US weapons
In India’s case, the immediate efforts are aimed at nixing a $4.5 billion India-Russia defence deal
Leave the sanctions business aside for the moment. Can Russia deliver weapon systems on a timely basis and fully operational? The S-400 deal with China valued over $3 billion USD was signed back in 2014 and China has only received one regiment out of six. The FGFA has been a flop after India invested significant time and money. Even the RuAF isn't getting but a squadron some time in the future. At best agreements with Russia should be for technology transfer as opposed to entire weapon systems. For a modern large developed economy, India can not and must not be dependent on any foreign country for entire weapon systems. Be it the Russia, US, France or Israel. It must be Indian no matter how long it takes or how much it costs develop internally.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

It would be a blessing if US sanctions India using Catspaw. And it would be a double blessing if GEF404 engines are also bought under purview of these sanctions.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Bart S wrote:
nvishal wrote: Americans sanctions on India will blacklist US defence firms from marketing their products to India. This isn't an issue because what we need is not on offer.

This is seriously your reading of the current events? :eek:

Frankly, even your posts on 'why can't we use SU-30 engines on the LCA' make more sense than this.
Yes

They are telling us that India is a US ally and at the same time, they are putting sanctions on India. If this doesn't evoke realpolitics in you than you are simply going to get yourself hurt. If they impose sanctions on India, evict them from India. Tit for tat. It is real. This should have already been done the moment they started using Pakistan to balance india.

Secondly, My argument about using MKIs engine on Tejas was solid. The fuselage of Tejas should have been based based around that engine. The Chinese saw this bottleneck decades ahead and designed its(j10) fuselage accordingly. The fact that some Indians refuse to acknowledge this disaster is something I consider as a "disability", partly due to excess pride and partly by culture.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

NV.True.For over 20 years I've been saying that we should have alternative engines for LCA prototypes, western, to get the benefit of dxperiencing both Ru and EU OEMs.Banking everything on the US has been proven in history to be disastrous.It has backstabbed all its non-white allies from Marcos, the Shah, Noriega, Saddam and the late little lamented Col Gadhaffi! Unless you are willing to be a perverted catamite like Pak, where you can be used and abused at will, there is no equality in a relationship with the US establishment.US MNCs however are more practical, drive hard bargains, use heavy Washington pressure, but one can do business with them.

The history of Indo- Ru relations has been in marked contrast.There was even recently an article about Kalibir missiles aboard Ru warships and subs in the Meditt. which the Ru analysts said could even be used to " help India" ! Barring the problems of spares and support after the demise of the USSR we've had few problems.This is now being rapidly resolved with the setting up of JVs in India with pvt. entities for the same. The reaffirmation by the PM that India will go ahead with Indo-Ru projects on the anvil despite US blackmail is v.reassuring.The personal warmth between our PM and Pres. Putin was v.clear throughout the one day visit with much personal contact made by both .V.good body language.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

nvishal wrote: They are telling us that India is a US ally and at the same time, they are putting sanctions on India. If this doesn't evoke realpolitics in you than you are simply going to get yourself hurt. If they impose sanctions on India, evict them from India. Tit for tat. It is real. This should have already been done the moment they started using Pakistan to balance india.
1. They arent sanctioning India. They are sanctioning Russian military firms. You buy from them, you come under the sanctions. That is similar to them sanctioning Iran.
2. No sane person would recommend evicting diplomats. Many countries have supported Pakistan in the past -the whole western bloc., Japan, China. So India should have cut diplomatic ties with 60% of the world. Really?!
3. Sanctions for sanctions is tit for tat. Not evicting diplomats. I dont think you are trying to make a serious argument.
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

US backstabbed others. Countries like Pakistan counter-backstab them by supporting haqqanis.
There is no such thing as backstabbing in IR. There are interests and we need to work for ours.
Can we please remove emotions outta geopolitics?!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

habal wrote:It would be a blessing if US sanctions India using Catspaw. And it would be a double blessing if GEF404 engines are also bought under purview of these sanctions.
very true.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Watch

Rare diplomatic gesture for Indian PM @narendramodi.
Russian President #VladimirPutin sees off Modi at the airport, gives warm hug.

https://twitter.com/WIONews/status/998909345445298176