Indian Military Helicopters

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Helicopters

Post by Philip »

Why couldn't this have been done in India? Our LCA cockpit is supposed to be desi, why not the Dhruv? We've also modified Jags, MKIs, etc. with Indian avionics one would imagine that this was a desi given.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

shiv wrote:If you brighten that dark image of the helo from the back you can see that the left skid has sunk into soft earth.
That's good to hear.. i mean that the skid didn't shear/break. Robust build quality.. no doubt the soft sand helped majorly (while perhaps creating the problem in the first place). Most of all the sheer skill of the Pilot in getting it down as smoothly as possible.
sahay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sahay »

JayS wrote:India expands Dhruv cockpit upgrade

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... de-448215/

The older order is probably for Mk. 1s being converted to Mk. 2 standard. What is the subsequent order for? According to Wikipedia, only 56 Mk. 1 were produced. The rest (Mk. 2 and Mk. 3) were built with a glass cockpit and moving map display.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

shiv wrote:If you brighten that dark image of the helo from the back you can see that the left skid has sunk into soft earth.
The left skid is broken and resting next to the rear MAWS. But it'll be a minor repair.

Major concern is whether electronics like Compass EO is affected by the impact.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

tsarkar wrote: The left skid is broken and resting next to the rear MAWS.
True. Just noticed that
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

tsarkar wrote: The left skid is broken and resting next to the rear MAWS. But it'll be a minor repair.

Should be fine. The impact doesn't seem to have been too hard. There is absolutely no buckling visible on the airframe other than the skid.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ true, but until they have x-rayed the structure they won't know if there are other problems internally (main structural components)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Indranil wrote:
tsarkar wrote: The left skid is broken and resting next to the rear MAWS. But it'll be a minor repair.

Should be fine. The impact doesn't seem to have been too hard. There is absolutely no buckling visible on the airframe other than the skid.
In cases of accidental or suicidal fall from a height (of humans) when they fall feet down - fractures of the heel, ankle and legs reduce the possibility of spine fracture and paralysis because the energy is serially dissipated by breaking less critical bones. Similar to crumple zones in cars. So the fracture of the skid may actually be a design feature.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Yes, they would test everything before putting it back in the air.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

HAL keen to supply Navy with light utility helicopters.

Putting its hat in the ring for a naval requirement of light utility helicopters, state-owned aircraft manufacturer Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has asked the defence ministry to consider its indigenous chopper as well, against just looking at international companies like Airbus and Bell for replacements.

Sources have told ET that the state-owned company has informed the defence ministry about the progress in its light utility helicopter (LUH) programme that undertook its first first flight in September 2016 and is planned for production starting this year.

Making a pitch for considering a naval variant of this helicopter for the requirement of 111Naval Utility Helicopters (NUH), the company has written that rS 400 crore has already been invested into the programme and it can be used by the navy instead of relying on imports.

The NUH programme is a key priority for the Navy that wants to retire its ageing Chetak fleet and is short of rotary wing aircraft for warships at sea. The NUH programme for 111 choppers is currently being pursued under the strategic partnership (SP) programme that involved selecting a foreign developed chopper to be made in India with the private industry.

At least three companies are in the fray for this order — the European Airbus, American Bell and Russian Kamov. While formal tenders are yet to be floated, a request for information has yielded replies from the companies and consultations are currently on within the defence ministry to take forward the process. Indian companies that are keen to make the chopper under the SP model include Mahindra (which had an MoU with Airbus), Tata and the Kalyani Group

It is yet to be seen whether the HAL pitch will make it eligible to qualify for the tendering process once the defence ministry manages to sort out how to proceed with the SP model. The HAL developed chopper which is currently undergoing trials is a 3.1 tonne aircraft that is designed to replace the ageing Cheetah and Chetak fleet.

The program has been in the works since 2008 when the armed forces projected a requirement for a light chopper that could carry troops and supplies to all border areas. The chopper if powered by a Shakti engine in collaboration with French firm Turbomeca. A new production facility is to be built for the LUH project.

HAL is also working on a project with Russian Helicopters to build 200 of the KA 226 light choppers in India as part of a government to government deal. A tender for the KA 226 order was issued earlier this month.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

What are the crashworthy features of ALH that we often read about ?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Naval LUH. I have a few ideas about the KA-226 which could even be used on the HAL LUH.

For the helo to be really worthwhile on our smaller platforms, they must have a minimum of ASW capability.
Earlier helos used to fly out to a specified location based upon data from the warship and drop their DCs or LW torpedoes.

The KA-226 can carry 6 pax in its cabin module.Ample space for an ASW console and ASW weapons operator to monitor sonobuoys dropped and release weaponry.Now sonobuoys are dropped vertically from canisters which can be accommodated within the cabin.So too can the MBU rounds aboard our principal warships.They won't need the boosters at all, simply dropped to detonate at pre-determined depths by the weapons operator.A few rounds can easily be carried at the rear of the cabin module which could be modified for the above purposes.

In addition 2 LW torpedoes can also be carried on either side of the cabin externally.The no. of sonobuoys and MBU DC rounds can be determined taking into acct. the load factor.It could be possible to have 6-8 MBU rounds and 2 torpedoes as well.The same idea can be used on our larger helos as well.They could carry ASW torpedoes as well as these modified and lighter MBU DC rounds along with the required no. of sonobuoys.

It usually requires 3 data inputs to determine the location of a sub.Once the warship has sent the helo to prosecute it, the s'buoys dropped in patterns will zero in on the target.The sub can then be attacked by using these mini-DC rounds which have the same warhead as those fired from warships along with the LW fish.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Well done HAL. Especially since none of the international contenders are naval helicopters.
Austin wrote:What are the crashworthy features of ALH that we often read about ?
From Dhruv certification by CEMILAC

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/techfo ... /apr10.pdf
Helicopter should be able to withstand the loads arising due to crash conditions of 35 g forward, 12 g rearward, 25 g
downward, 8 g upward, and 12 g sideward.
The fuel tanks should have self-sealing characteristics and should have crash-resistant features.
Paging JayS and Indranil to save this link on Dhruv Certification.
Philip wrote:Naval LUH. I have a few ideas about the KA-226 which could even be used on the HAL LUH.
Sir, what you wrote encompasses the complete process of converting a normal helicopter to a naval one!
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

tsarkar wrote:
Helicopter should be able to withstand the loads arising due to crash conditions of 35 g forward, 12 g rearward, 25 g
downward, 8 g upward, and 12 g sideward.
If the entire helicopter is designed for the above inertial load factors, ALH would be a flying tank. If I could extrapolate my understanding of regulations for commercial designs, usually such high strength needs to be shown only for interior items i.e. any items which will carry occupants & the restraint systems and also any items which could end being a projectile during emergency landing conditions and thus pose a danger for occupant and preclude their chance of escaping. For practical purposes, most interior monuments inside commercial aircraft/chopper are shown compliance to inertial factors much lower than stated above (per prescribed factors in FAR/EASA regulations).

It is quite possible that many structures inside the ALH cabin including seat belts, seat attachments and possibly fuselage primary structures near the occupants being designed to above factors and not the entire chopper. Unfortunately until I research more info about MIL helicopters compliance regulations or someone else posts such info, I have to call that article as misleading (perhaps not intentionally).
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

HAL seeks private partner to build Dhruv copters for civilian market
Thirty Dhruv helicopters built by HAL await collection by army and IAF, having been built ahead of time
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2018/05/ ... build.html

Key thing to note. HAL built 30 Helicopters ahead of time.
Obviously these Indians again don't know how to build on time, we can build it better in Texas Baby !!
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

Ahead of time is also indicative of bad manufacturing/production engineering.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Khalsa wrote:HAL seeks private partner to build Dhruv copters for civilian market
Thirty Dhruv helicopters built by HAL await collection by army and IAF, having been built ahead of time
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2018/05/ ... build.html
For me the two takeaways were
Business Standard learns that the EoI has received 10 responses from private firms, including the Adani Group and Reliance. HAL is currently shortlisting eligible bidders, based on capability and capacity. Then, a winner will be selected based on commercial bidding.
I did not expect this. There were hardly any takers for the civil variant of Dhruv-1. I was worried that they won't get any response: 10 is great!!! For the civilian market though, I think HAL will have much higher success with the LUH (if they can prove reliability).
HAL initiated a certification request four years ago with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). HAL officials say EASA is at the final stages of granting certification for the civilian Dhruv.
This has been one of my pet peeves. Good to see it being removed. I am hoping against hope that the ship has not already sailed (with Ecuador) though. If the private industry can take up manufacturing and maintain quality, Dhruv-civil has a fighting chance. But once again, for the civilian market, 3 tonners make much more sense. So waiting for LUH to get clearance.
pravula wrote:Ahead of time is also indicative of bad manufacturing/production engineering.
:eek: Are you serious? I have never heard anybody sulk about early deliveries in the aviation market. May be you can educate me here!!!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Our folks are very tough. No matter what DPSUs do they suck.

Reminds me of 5Tantra story of "two men and a donkey".

Should look it up.
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

Indranil wrote:
pravula wrote:Ahead of time is also indicative of bad manufacturing/production engineering.
:eek: Are you serious? I have never heard anybody sulk about early deliveries in the aviation market. May be you can educate me here!!!
Yes, customers will not sulk if you produce early and have them warehoused. Why would they? My comment is just with respect to production engineering and JIT Warehousing 30 birds is what? 6+ months of production?
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

ramana wrote:Our folks are very tough. No matter what DPSUs do they suck.

Reminds me of 5Tantra story of "two men and a donkey".

Should look it up.
Ramana, I am no expert in production engineering, but a large number of warehoused product goes against lean manufacturing principles. Yes, it is better than missing the delivery timelines, doesn't mean there is no scope of improvement.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

That can happen when everything is stabilized. An entire ecosystem of part manufacturers within HAL and outside HAL have come up with Dhruv. They have exceeded expectations. This should be celebrated, not criticized. I am sure we would have been singing paeans to the company if this had happened in the private sector!
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

http://pib.nic.in/PressReleaseIframePag ... ID=1533824
Ministry of Defence
IAF effort to contain fire at Malviya Nagar
Posted On: 30 MAY 2018 10:54AM by PIB Delhi
Around midnight a request was received at HQ Western Air Command for containing a fire at Malviya Nagar in Delhi. A MLH class helicopter airborne from Sarsawadid a recce and landed at Palam. Thereafter heptr got airborne with Bambi Bucket to contain the fire.

The heptr filled water from Yamuna reservoir and dropped over the site. This had to be repeated thrice to contain the fire. This was the first time the Bambi ops was done in an urban situation wherein the nitty gritties of drop are very precise owing to high rises around and chances of collateral damage. The operations started this morning wherein helicopter flown by Wing Commander Pradeep Bhola of the Mighty Armourswas successful in dousing the fire.

A total of approx 8000 lts of water was dropped in this incident.
ARG/BBS
(Release ID: 1533824) Visitor Counter : 41
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there is no scope for lean engineering when we need to be ready for multiple layers of conflict.
ready and deep parts stockpile.

not selling auto rickshaws or soap here.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

JIT Warehousing must be linked into Just in Time Manufacturing must be linked to Just in Time ordering.
We are not producing pharma products here.

This needs to be celebrated at all levels.
Good Lord !!

Without reading it , I think I know what the donkey storey is about.
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

My last on this. This is no "Soap or autorickshaw or pharma" manufacturing line.

https://www.f35.com/about/life-cycle/production
The F-35 production strategy is based on flow-to-takt manufacturing implementation. Flow-to-takt is the movement of component assemblies, like wings and forward fuselages, from one build station to the next at a rate equal to the delivery rate. This production rhythm increases efficiencies, lowers costs and reduces span times while synchronizing the delivery of parts, timing of tasks and positioning of personnel to achieve standard work in each line position.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

You just couldn't hold it back.
How much is it costing to keep in parked on the tarmac ?

How many engineers did it free from the Dhruv lines for 3 months or 6 months or a year to work on the LUH to outcompete the Kamov
I suggest you drop the matter and celebrate whatever has been done.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

pravula wrote:My last on this. This is no "Soap or autorickshaw or pharma" manufacturing line.
Never heard Ahead of time production?
Last edited by JayS on 01 Jun 2018 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited out a sentence. Please no direct personal attack. Its a slippery slope.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^ OK. Enough of this now. We have been cursing HAL for delays in production, our forces want and can use everything HAL can produce as fast as possible. So ahead of time production is good. HAL deserves kudos for this definitely.
ashthor
BRFite

Post by ashthor »

Read somewhere...they are parked because the infra for them is not ready.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/10 ... 0313693184
PRESS RELEASE | Tata Boeing Aerospace Ltd announced delivery of the first AH-64 Apache combat helicopter fuselage ahead of schedule from its state-of-the-art facility in Hyderabad. The fuselage will now be transported to Boeing’s AH-64 Apache manufacturing facility in Mesa, AZ,
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

I spy 3 women in that picture. Good going.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Kakarat wrote:https://twitter.com/writetake/status/10 ... 0313693184
PRESS RELEASE | Tata Boeing Aerospace Ltd announced delivery of the first AH-64 Apache combat helicopter fuselage ahead of schedule from its state-of-the-art facility in Hyderabad. The fuselage will now be transported to Boeing’s AH-64 Apache manufacturing facility in Mesa, AZ,
:rotfl:

Obiviously Boeing forgot to tell Tata about 'Flow-to-takt'.. then again they are not Lockheed

(Sorry Jays/Mods, just couldn't resist...)
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Ministry of Defence
Casuality Evacuation: ISRAELI Nationals
Posted On: 05 JUN 2018 5:58PM by PIB Delhi

On 05 Jun 18, the ‘Himalayan Dragons’ based at Air Force Station Sarsawa were tasked to undertake a challenging casualty evacuation of three Israeli nationals whose vehicle had fallen down in a gorge on the way to Rohtang Pass. One Israeli succumbed to injuries. All three were evacuated in ALH MK III IAF helicopter from Kullu to Chandigarh, along with Israeli embassy official and Medical Officer.

The helicopter got airborne from Sarsawa and landed at Kullu Bhuntar and then from Kullu for Chandigarh with Captain of the aircraft Wing Commander Anil Yadav.

ARG/BBS

(Release ID: 1534416) Visitor Counter : 115

http://www.pib.nic.in/Pressreleaseshare ... ID=1534416
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Indigenous data recorders for IAF’s attack helicopters
By VijayMohan
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/npc/20 ... 01june.pdf
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Isn't Sarsawa the home base for the SG? :twisted:

This Dhruv looks slick. Are these Mk3 variants for SpecOps`?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

jaysimha wrote:Indigenous data recorders for IAF’s attack helicopters
By VijayMohan
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/npc/20 ... 01june.pdf
This is good news.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Manish_P wrote:
:rotfl:

Obiviously Boeing forgot to tell Tata about 'Flow-to-takt'.. then again they are not Lockheed

(Sorry Jays/Mods, just couldn't resist...)
What now?
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

BR will descend into another useless round of discussion of JIT manufacting of Indian helicopters.
Give me a gun to commit suicide.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

sudhan wrote:Isn't Sarsawa the home base for the SG? :twisted:

This Dhruv looks slick. Are these Mk3 variants for SpecOps`?
I would say anyone can pass this off as "made in US / Germany" etc ! ..quite TFTA
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Kakarat wrote:https://twitter.com/writetake/status/10 ... 0313693184
As per chaiwala info, the first fuselage has already been integrated with engines & avionics and has undergone a round of flight testing.