Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by chetak »

pankajs wrote:^
I am highly skeptical about "this" checkmate.
The SLs moving their naval southern command to the hambantota port is an interesting development. It means that the SLs are moving to contain the damage caused by the previous regime and it will leave the hans unhappy to have SL naval ships positioned permanently in the port and openly watching their every move.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Why didn't the Chinese take the airport when it was offered to them????
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Both India and China now have one lemon each in their hand. It is geo-strategic rather than economic viability. Perhaps SL new govt wanted to balance it out. But there may be more lemons as SL still has other massive Chinese debts.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vinod wrote:Why didn't the Chinese take the airport when it was offered to them????
Haven't they got many thousands of acres in the port area free??

They can easily build themselves an airport right there if needed.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

chetak wrote:
vinod wrote:Why didn't the Chinese take the airport when it was offered to them????
Haven't they got many thousands of acres in the port area free??

They can easily build themselves an airport right there if needed.
I don't know about the contract details, but I doubt they can build an airport just like that without SL's consent. I was thinking of probably a simpler explanation; China was probably holding out to extract more favourable terms from SL but India was offered and took it up. Just speculating....
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The Chins are more interested in acquiring vast acres of land and a port that can sustain their warships and subs.It would be hugely provocative if SL were to allow a Chin. mil. base on its soil.There would be a huge outcry within SL itself.The ambiguity of the deal has forced the GOSL to move its navy into HTota from Galle even though its CG base at Kirinda is close by,just next door.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The chinese must be taking over the port to make a logistics hub. PLAN vessels may not be allowed to berth, however nothing preventing support vessels from berthing and loading up supplies for PLAN vessels waiting in the international waters.

Like they have their hotel ship trailing their carriers, they will have large "civilian" vessels loading up at the port and "exporting" to the PLAN vessels in IOR.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

At present time, china does not have the capability to do any mischief far away from their mainland. Yes they may develop in future with their growing economy and military might. But the same time span will also help to grow stronger in similar terms. So it is easier for India being nearer SL than china.

However it all hinges on Indian growth.
meanwhile SL should also grow its economy and do what it can.

sometimes wonder if any SL guy :D sometime in near future wins elections and scrap the deal with china- what will happen then??
Will china wage a war against SL!! :oops:

This can be a low cost options for some esp SL who are in debt trap. :P
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri- ... SKBN1KC0D8
China's Xi offers fresh $295 million grant to Sri Lanka in push for dominance
President Maithripala Sirisena of Sri Lanka, a partner in Beijing’s multi-country Belt and Road infrastructure push, made the announcement on Saturday at a ceremony to mark the start of construction of a Chinese-funded kidney hospital in his home constituency of Polonnaruwa, 230 km (142.92 miles) from capital Colombo.

When the Chinese ambassador visited my house to fix the date for this ceremony, he said that Chinese President Xi Jinping sent me another gift,” Sirisena told the gathering.

He has gifted 2 billion yuan to be utilized for any project of my wish. I’m going to hand over a proposal to the Chinese ambassador to build houses in all the electorates in the country,” he added.

Reuters could not immediately contact officials from the Chinese embassy in Sri Lanka for comment.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://colombogazette.com/2018/07/23/ch ... t-frigate/
China to boost military ties with Sri Lanka and gift frigate
Senior Colonel Xu Jianwei of the Chinese Embassy in Colombo said that this year China will continue to provide various training courses for the Sri Lankan tri-forces, to complete building a Chinese-funded auditorium complex at the Sri Lanka Military Academy, and make preparations to hand over a gift frigate to the Sri Lanka Navy.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks I split the Sri Lanka Thread to post PM appointment crisis and am locking up this thread.

ramana