Indian Space Program: News & Discussion - Sept 2016

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Space Programme Discussion - Sept 2016

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

^
Nice, does the company give a timeline for their first launch?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Space Programme Discussion - Sept 2016yhe

Post by disha »

amritk wrote:For space it would generally be the three junction non-concentrator cell, because it is the state of the art. High efficiency, radiation hard and well supported by the vendors for this application.
Thanks for taking it in right spirit. I do not know what technology ISRO went for, but it is very plausible given the weight and power and radiation requirements, the normal-run-of-the-mill residential solar cells will not cut it and hence there will be not many (or none) manufacturing such space hardened solar cells in India, leave alone even in small numbers.

Options for ISRO would be to buy/license the tech for space hardening from outside, since solar cell tech is still evolving and ISRO might not have a handle on a specific line or form of tech in house. After buy/license, ISRO can figure out how to make it into solar panels for satellites and if the manufacturing of such is smoothened, that process can be made available to Indian industries to carry forward.

This is one advantage of being within the international groupings like the Wassenar agreement., trading of such critical technologies become easier.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Chandrayaan-2 launch put off: India, Israel in lunar race for 4th position
NEW DELHI: India’s ambitious Chandrayaan-2 mission, which was earlier scheduled for October first week, has been postponed till December, according to an Isro source. The mission, which was originally scheduled for April 23 this year, has been deferred for the second time.

With Israel too planning to launch a moon mission in December, it will be a race between Tel Aviv and New Delhi for the fourth position in the world to soft-land on the moon. Till now, US, Russia and China have been able to soft-land their spacecraft on the mission’s surface.

Unlike the Chandrayaan-1 programme in 2008 that involved only orbiting around the moon, Chandrayaan-2 is a much complicated mission as it involves an orbiter, a lander and a rover. The mission involves a soft-landing on the lunar surface and a rover that will walk and analysis the content on the moon’s surface.

Being India’s most challenging mission, Isro doesn’t want to take chances and taking time to fix all glitches in the lunar mission. The reason Isro is treading cautiously with this high-profile mission is because it had witnessed two satellite mission failures in the last one year — navigation satellite IRNSS-1H got stuck in the heat shield and Gsat-6A satellite went out of control after launch in April this year.

As the weight of the Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft has increased, according to the source, GSLV Mk III or Isro’s ‘fat boy’, not GSLV Mk II, will now carry the spacecraft as it has the lifting capability of over four tonnes.

Israeli nonprofit SpaceIL and Israel Aerospace Industries will launch its mission to the moon by the year-end. SpaceIL said it involved a 1,300-pound lander piggybacking on an SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

The spacecraft will orbit the moon for almost two months before landing, where it will record and send video to the earth.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Indranil wrote:
It should be noted that from the early 1980s the various candidate configurations for GSLV indicated a strong need for modular solid strap-on. Till 1984 no substantial progress was made in the design of the PSLV launch pad. An opportunity was available to build the facility which would cater to the needs of the launch vehicle configurations that were emerging as candidate configurations of GSLV. Unfortunately this was missed. Later this became the single significant factor in determining the final booster configuration of GSLV-Mk II.
Pity no details are given. I found this pic of the launchpad with GSLV MK III on it. It seems like that there will be no room for the solid boosters that are more than two i.e. on the side (laterally). Four wont fit on the launch pad. See super high -res image link further below for clearer picture

Super high-res here
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/f1/c8 ... 2151aa.jpg
While this is true, most are working with tighter constraints. By its own admission, ISRO says that it has the second best launch site in the world in terms of location.
Korou must be the best.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Ashokk wrote:
TimesOfIndiaNews wrote:Israeli nonprofit SpaceIL and Israel Aerospace Industries will launch its mission to the moon by the year-end. SpaceIL said it involved a 1,300-pound lander piggybacking on an SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

The spacecraft will orbit the moon for almost two months before landing, where it will record and send video to the earth.
The Israeli bid to moon and its comparison to India is a non-sense introduced by #mediapimps and must be striped out of all responsible discussion on space sciences.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

disha wrote:
Ashokk wrote:
The Israeli bid to moon and its comparison to India is a non-sense introduced by #mediapimps and must be striped out of all responsible discussion on space sciences.

Well the source is rNDTV. The same rNDTV is fearingmongering on Dolkam. Same rNDTV saying LCA is crap, lets import! Same rNDTV that is now saying J&K Police will "revolt" if 35A is scrapped.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

SriKumar wrote:
Indranil wrote:
It should be noted that from the early 1980s the various candidate configurations for GSLV indicated a strong need for modular solid strap-on. Till 1984 no substantial progress was made in the design of the PSLV launch pad. An opportunity was available to build the facility which would cater to the needs of the launch vehicle configurations that were emerging as candidate configurations of GSLV. Unfortunately this was missed. Later this became the single significant factor in determining the final booster configuration of GSLV-Mk II.

...........{Rest Snipped}...............
While this is true, most are working with tighter constraints. By its own admission, ISRO says that it has the second best launch site in the world in terms of location.
Korou must be the best.
In land based location terms, Agência Espacial Brasileira’s Alcântara Launch Center is IMO the best. It is just 2.2-2.3 degress off the equator with masses of the Atlantic to the West requring no dog leg manoeuvres to effect safe stage dumping. Kourou is 5 degrees off equator though also with masses of the Atlantic to the west.
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

shravanp wrote:
disha wrote:

Well the source is rNDTV. The same rNDTV is fearingmongering on Dolkam. Same rNDTV saying LCA is crap, lets import! Same rNDTV that is now saying J&K Police will "revolt" if 35A is scrapped.
NDTV is cat's paw of US State Deptt. and Vatican. This can be easily discerned by slant of its coverage. These so-called "secular, Westernized left liberals and world citizens" are easy picking for CIA and ISI and are usually the first ones to collaborate with India's enemies. US has for a long time been trying to trigger tensions between China and India, and NDTV's fear-mongering of China reflects that. Similarly, NDTV has been promoting Vatican view by ridiculing the National Commission for Women for suggesting that church confessions should be banned as these are being used by priests to blackmail women confessors
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

SriKumar wrote:Pity no details are given. I found this pic of the launchpad with GSLV MK III on it. It seems like that there will be no room for the solid boosters that are more than two i.e. on the side (laterally). Four wont fit on the launch pad. See super high -res image link further below for clearer picture

I don’t think that the pedestal is the problem. It is a square. And in the case of four boosters the boosters would lie along the diagonals (just like in the case of GSLV Mk2).

It is more about the height of the launch vehicle (GSLV could not be more than 5 mtrs taller than PSLV). Exhaust venting below the deck etc.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

Would be mostly height as the flame trench and acoustic surpression system would anyway have to bear the launch loads of the rocket whatever the configuration
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 4074402817 ---> A cool shot of a CISF jawan guarding a launch pad at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.

SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^Admiral, Sriharikota is an island (of sorts) sitting in A.P. and not T.N. .....unless this is a chankian move to further confuse our friends who are seriously searching for Bangalore, Kerala. :D Feel free to delete this post once the correction is in place.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Telescope near Pune leads to discovery of most distant galaxy

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 345083.cms
Aayush Saxena and his colleagues from various countries have discovered a galaxy 12 billion light-years from the earth
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

That's almost at the time of the Big Bang!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SriKumar wrote:^^^Admiral, Sriharikota is an island (of sorts) sitting in A.P. and not T.N. .....unless this is a chankian move to further confuse our friends who are seriously searching for Bangalore, Kerala. :D Feel free to delete this post once the correction is in place.
Aiyoo!!!! Enikku Vayya!!!! :oops: :rotfl:

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I just copy the text in the tweet verbatim. I have corrected my post and I am going to keep this one.

It is a gem! :lol: All the BRFites (who are from AP) on this forum will kill me!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^^^that lone guard needs to be strengthened - IMHO.
========

The details of the state of the art satellites approved for launch till 2019-20 are:

Third generation Cartosat series satellite for very high resolution mapping
Second generation stereo imaging satellite for Digital Elevation Model
Geostationary Imaging Satellite (GISAT) for Earth observation from Geostationary Orbit
Third generation Ocean imaging satellite for ocean colour, sea surface temperature mapping and ocean surface wind vector mapping
Third generation ResourceSat series of satellite with improved spatial resolution and swath
C-band microwave imaging satellite for all weather and day & night imaging
Constellation of high resolution imaging satellites for frequent revisit
Nanosatellite for Aerosol monitoring
Satellite for monitoring chlorophyll fluorescence and radiation environment

The areas requiring enhancement of operational applications, include monitoring of natural resources, crop acreage estimation & production forecasting, monitoring of surface water spread, potential fishing zone forecasting, near-real time monitoring of disasters, high resolution digital elevation model of the country, infrastructure planning & monitoring, and so on.

http://www.pib.nic.in/PressReleseDetail ... ID=1542206
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Rakesh wrote:
SriKumar wrote:^^^Admiral, Sriharikota is an island (of sorts) sitting in A.P. and not T.N. .....unless this is a chankian move to further confuse our friends who are seriously searching for Bangalore, Kerala. :D Feel free to delete this post once the correction is in place.
Aiyoo!!!! Enikku Vayya!!!! :oops: :rotfl:

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I just copy the text in the tweet verbatim. I have corrected my post and I am going to keep this one.

It is a gem! :lol: All the BRFites (who are from AP) on this forum will kill me!
Although 99% is in AP, 1% is in TN. If you look at the map, you can see a small island which is in TN. In fact there used to be a boat service from TN mainland to Shriharikota. That was the option for the folks who missed the last bus to Shriharikota from Chennai. Get down at TADA and take the boat. Hope to get a bus shuttle to the campus
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

SriKumar wrote:
Indranil wrote:
Pity no details are given. I found this pic of the launchpad with GSLV MK III on it. It seems like that there will be no room for the solid boosters that are more than two i.e. on the side (laterally). Four wont fit on the launch pad. See super high -res image link further below for clearer picture

Super high-res here
Korou must be the best.
I can see space for 6 strapons solid or liquid. Why you say there is no space?
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

LEX Eexperiment is being planned in the next 6 months and will be at Challekere
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

symontk wrote:
Super high-res here

I can see space for 6 strapons solid or liquid. Why you say there is no space?
I'd say there is almost or literally no space for 4 strap-ons of the type shown in the figure (unless it is in a rotated configuration mentioned by Indranil). I took some measurements in terms of the number of 'grill marks' i.e. units of the railings around the perimeter (by drawing lines parallel to the edges of the gray platforms. The gray colour base on which each strap-on sits takes about 6 grill marks...not the white strapon but the gray-colored base which is wider. The gap between the rocket and the platform edge along the direction with no strap-on is less than or barely 6 grill marks- if you notice the platform is stepped inward along that axis and closer to the rocket (probably to accomodate the red colored objects (water pumps (?)). At best they would just fit, in which case there would be no room for any workers/engineers to work at that spot or inspect. It would be almost touching up against the inset railing. If rotated by 45 degrees, there would be some room for a 4-stapon config. since they will lie along the diagonal of the platform.

P.S: Couldn't resist but surely you meant the town of Tada and not TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities act) :D
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 4.ece/amp/
We averted a possible debacle: ISRO chairman
“There is ₹1,200 crore at stake as costs of the satellite and the launch, apart from India’s reputation. We cannot afford to take risks in such a high profile mission. We did lose our place in the launch queue when we brought our satellite back. But it turned out to be a wise decision. GSAT-11 had the same set of power system configuration that two older satellites had. RISAT-1 died prematurely and GSAT-6A lost communication contact soon after launch on March 29 because of suspected power system failure, harnesses etc... We had just sent GSAT-11 [to Guiana] and no one was sure if the same issue was there in GSAT-11,” he said.

Checks found that the provision or “margin” for the deployment of the solar panel was much smaller than was required. “Had it gone in that configuration, the panel [which generates power for the 15-year life] would not have deployed in space. The satellite would have been a failure. We had a chance to improve a major system. We are also confident that the failure issue has been overcome.”
kurup
BRFite

Post by kurup »

prasannasimha wrote:LEX Eexperiment is being planned in the next 6 months and will be at Challekere
WIll it be a full scale model ?? Orbital or Sub-orbital ??
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

LEX is a drop down test from 3 Kms. It is to study the landing characteristics of the lander. It is not an orbital flight. The next one REX is for studying reentry after an orbital flight. (HEX was to validate launch and suborbital hypersonic reentry).

The last in the series will be the most challenging one which will be SPEX where the scramjet that was previously tested (ATV02 where it was fired for 18 seconds) will be added on to evaluate its integration . If this set is completed then the full scale model will be tested from the lessons learnt here.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I really hope, we double down on RLV project. Hope ISRO involves private organisation from the start. It will be the crown jewel of our launch technology and an envy for the world. A truly innovative idea.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

nam wrote:I really hope, we double down on RLV project. Hope ISRO involves private organisation from the start. It will be the crown jewel of our launch technology and an envy for the world. A truly innovative idea.
I keep hearing this private company thing - which will do it ? Actually ISRO gives a lot of contracts to private entities.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I think at this moment Astra is the only company which is doing a full system build like the satellite. ISRO is also doing tech transfer of PSLV to private companies. I take Godrej is involved in manufacturing of rockets. Even L&T is now involved.

Hope they scale up and become a full space launch provider like SpaceX. With our low cost and innovative ideas like RLV, we can be quite competitive in the market. Indian companies can provide funding to RLV program, with them receiving tech transfer from ISRO.

However ISRO cannot scale up as it's prime focus is not just launching. We need a private entity to focus fully on the launch market.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

^ LEX test vehicle being prepared and tested
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^ Any idea if it will be landed on land (and not water like the previous RLV)? On a runway? Which one- the previous RLV needed a runway longer than any that had existed then.

If landing on a runway, one assumes the other side of the craft in the picture will show landing gear.
One assumes this one too will go to up via a rocket.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

we might need little longer runway.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Currently there is no landing strip on Sriharikota Island and the current best options available according to me would be
The nearest long military airfield is INS Rajali at Arakkonam which has a 4km runway one of the longest in India, but it is surrounded by populated towns and villages
The other option would be to have a straight flight to Car Nicobar Air Force Base which has a 2.7km runway and very little civilian population surrounding the airfield. The distance between Sriharikota to Car Nicobar Air Force Base is ~1500km
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Isro wants Chandrayaan-2 lander to orbit moon first
BENGALURU: Isro’s Chandrayaan-2 will now involve the lander going around the moon, taking a close look at the lunar surface, before descending on the dusty terrain for a battery of tests. The earlier plan was to make a direct landing after the lander carrying a rover separates from the orbiter.

The change in plan, made at the fourth technical review meeting on June 19, entailed major changes to the lander hardware, including addition of a fifth liquid engine and a new leg configuration. This has resulted in further delay of the mission that missed three deadlines.

The team hasn’t decided how many times the lander should orbit before landing, but they know the orbit will be elliptical, with the farthest point at 100km and the nearest at 30km. This changed the mission configuration and caused the delay. As per the earlier plan, the lander was to separate from the orbiter at 100km and descend vertically up to 18km from the moon’s surface.

From there, the orientation would change, making the lander go slightly horizontal for about 8.5km and then make a soft landing, a senior member of the Chandrayaan-2 team said. “The earlier plan gave the lander little time to assess the tough terrain it has to touch as it slows from 6,000kmph to near zero to make a soft landing. The new plan allows the lander a better assessment,” said a senior scientist.

The lander will use its micro star sensors to read its own velocity and deploy its four reaction wheels for the landing.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

what would be the total size/weight of LEX? Let's say, we land it on Car Nicobar AFB, and we might have to shuttle it back to Sriharikota/Chennai. Alternatively, do the regular surface transport way.
kurup
BRFite

Post by kurup »

ISRO to test reusable launch vehicle soon

BENGALURU: The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will soon carry out another major test for its reusable launch vehicle (RLV) in which the vehicle will be flown to a height of 3 km by a helicopter and let free to land autonomously at an airstrip in Challakere in Chitradurga district.

This would be the second test for the vehicle after the first one in 2016 demonstrated that the RLV could land autonomously in the sea after being taken to an altitude of 65 km. Talking about the upcoming test, S Somanath, Director of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, said the test will be carried out at the airstrip, owned by the Defence Research and Development Organization within 6 months.

After this test, we will integrate the vehicle into a new rocket which will take it up into orbit for it to return,” he said. Somanath was speaking at the Aerospace and Defence Manufacturing Show (ADMS), organised by Aeromag Asia and Society of Indian Aerospace Technologies and Industries in the city.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 55699.html
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

^^^
What will they drop it from? C-17?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

^ The article says Helicopter, it would most probably be a Mi-17 or Mi-26
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will soon carry out another major test for its reusable launch vehicle (RLV) in which the vehicle will be flown to a height of 3 km by a helicopter and let free to land autonomously at an airstrip in Challakere in Chitradurga district.
Not C-17
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

just out of curiosity if the RLV was of the American space shuttle dimensions how would the iSRO transport it ?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

kit wrote:just out of curiosity if the RLV was of the American space shuttle dimensions how would the iSRO transport it ?
I presume there might be a assembly area near the launch site. I don't see we attempting anything like US 'or Soviet, flying trucks to carry spaceships.

The size might not be bigger than the core of GSLV MK3. They already transport it.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

kit wrote:just out of curiosity if the RLV was of the American space shuttle dimensions how would the iSRO transport it ?

This is how they moved the Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstrator, as far as the Reusable Launch Vehicle is concerned I think the plan is to construct a runway at Sriharikota it self.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Looks it can be transported piggy backed on an aircraft as well then.