Tejas Mk.2: News & Discussions - 25 February 2018

Prasad
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk.2: News & Discussions - 25 February 2018

Post by Prasad »

I don't think there is a higher thrust engine in the same dimensions. The F-16 engine with higher thrust is larger.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the best available bet is the F16 block60 engine or some derivative. and its a GE engine so not much new paperwork.
the F16 fuselage has expanded to accomodate bigger diameter engines it seems. its back end is fatter than the slim front end.

February 26, 2002

SINGAPORE - The development of the F110-GE-132 engine, the highest-thrust fighter engine for the Lockheed Martin F-16C/D, is progressing successfully through a series of ground tests leading to flight testing in late 2002.

The F110 growth engine is derived from the highly successful F110-GE-100 and F110-GE-129 engines powering the majority of F-16C/Ds worldwide. The F110-GE-132 will produce up to 32,500 pounds (144 kN) of thrust. However, if the engine is operated at a maximum thrust of 29,000 (129 kN), which is the thrust rating for F110-GE-129 engines powering Block 50 F-16s, the life of the -132 will be increased by 50 percent, compared to the life of the -129

===
however the JSF+ engines are one or two generations ahead of this ... new materials, more growth potential, less fuel burn, the usual good stuff....
for a plane entering service in 2030+ we need something better else it will be like FBC1 with RR Spey engines situation.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Looking At 12 Squadrons Of LCA Tejas Mk.2, IAF Chief Confirms
https://www.livefistdefence.com/2018/09 ... firms.html

#IAFChiefConfirms

The Mk.2, which will be a significantly modified jet, where the current GE F404 engine is replaced with the more powerful F414 turbofan, in addition to a near full replacement of sensors and systems, is currently under development, with the prototyping phase to hit the ground early in the next decade.

2022/23 ish
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

^^^ BEAUTIFUL!!!!
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Rakesh wrote:^^^ BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Rakesh a promice is not beautiful. 12 sq of MK1A as the backbone would be more than beautiful.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

2 mk1
4 mk1a
12 mk2
Total 18
Hopefully amca will see 15-20 sqdns
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^^If AMCA sees 20 squadrons, then we are on the big path of delivering a squadron of 6th gen stealth bombers. let's go easy on this OT for now.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Re: Tejas Mk.2 News & Discussions: 25 February 2018

Post by Austin »

Austin wrote:
Rakesh wrote:First, I thought this was a fanboy art, Then I saw the DRDO logo at the top right corner. I still do not know what to make of it.

https://twitter.com/IndianDefenceRA/sta ... 5255657472 --> LCA Navy Mk 2 new design? Just look at the canopy.

The Navy Prefers Twin Engine Fighter on Deck , So even though this bird looks good on specs it wont fly much in front of our Admiral , Unless ofcourse we have Adm Koshy leading us.
Looks Rafale'ish
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I think stealth features which may lead to major redesign of LCA should be left till LCA MK 3

My personal favourite for a semi stealth design is EADS MAKO Aircraft.

While calculating maximum takeoff weight of LCA Mark II with GE F 414 engine, we must not lose sight of Extraordinary large wing of LCA with a short and stubby length (draggy design)

Further for emergency situations the maximum power of GE engines is ~ 7% extra

Russian engines are rated in the brochure at their emergency power while western engines are rated at maximum power

So 98kn is 105kn in war situations
ashthor
BRFite

Post by ashthor »

Shouldn't it have a new name other than Tejas Mk2.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Maybe we could call it Tejaswi
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Kashi wrote:Maybe we could call it Tejaswi
Ojas?
Tejaswi has been vitiated by dimwit son of lallu
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ks_sachin wrote:
Rakesh wrote:^^^ BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Rakesh a promice is not beautiful. 12 sq of MK1A as the backbone would be more than beautiful.
I fully agree Sachin Saar. In fact, Air Chief Marshal Dhanoa echoed the same comments in the livefist article.

I am just happy that the IAF has made a turn around on the Mk2. Now I wish the Navy did the same. I have faith they will.

I am allowed to dream, ok? :mrgreen:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1040245439772033025 ---> Military imports are a double whammy for India. Send out precious capital resources and get trojan-filled influence from abroad in return. COMCASA? :lol:

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1040206502953279488 ---> But if New Delhi is truly serious about indigenous airpower, then the time has come to launch a national mission mode project to develop fighter-class low bypass turbofan (jet) engines. This project should actually be given more weight than even the Human spaceflight program.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1040204784597327877 ---> Good to see the IAF officially committing itself to procuring several squadrons of the Tejas MK-2. Have advocated the same for a long time. Single Engine Fighter Cancellation Provides An Opening For Tejas Mk 2.

Single Engine Fighter Cancellation Provides An Opening For Tejas Mk 2
http://www.delhidefencereview.com/2018/ ... ejas-mk-2/
26 February 2018
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1040204784597327877 ---> Good to see the IAF officially committing itself to procuring several squadrons of the Tejas MK-2. Have advocated the same for a long time. Single Engine Fighter Cancellation Provides An Opening For Tejas Mk 2.
Why was the global tender for single engine fighters launched in the first place?

It was just a few months ago. It almost seemed like the LCA was on the verge of being junked and F-16s imported with some screw driver giri "transfer of technology".

What a difference a few months make. Now the IAF wants to buy even more LCA ??

Either it must have be some clever geopolitical move by Bharat to call for foreign single engine fighters to bid or it could be that Ministry of Defence does not have a clue what it is doing.

It does not inspire any confidence in sound decision making on the part of Ministry of Defense if the latter is the case.

Looks like total chaos when they swing from one end to another within a few months.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Neshant, the MOD has committed to both Tejas and the SEF for some time now. Kindly read up. Jumping into a discussion and then making all sorts of categorical assertions is not good for either the forum or the thread.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Kashi wrote:Maybe we could call it Tejaswi
Ojas?
Tejaswi has been vitiated by dimwit son of lallu
If we go by that criteria, a lot of fine names would stand vitiated.

I thought of Tejaswi as they belong to the same family
Vikrant, Viraat, Vikramaditya, Vikrant, Vishal..
Arihant, Aridaman, Arighat...
Tejas, Tejaswi

Ojas is a fine name too, it would suit Mk2 and even AMCA.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

^^^ Ojas (sanskrit for what is heavy with substance) is good name for a bomber not fighter aircraft.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Haridas wrote:^^^ Ojas (sanskrit for what is heavy with substance) is good name for a bomber not fighter aircraft.
Ojas in Sanskrit and Hindi means vigor vitality.. Remember Hindi poems of oj and veerta ras..
I like the suggestion of keeping it for amca
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Haridas wrote:^^^ Ojas (sanskrit for what is heavy with substance) is good name for a bomber not fighter aircraft.
Ojas in Sanskrit and Hindi means vigor vitality.. Remember Hindi poems of oj and veerta ras..
I like the suggestion of keeping it for amca
I prefer LCA and and AMCA..
What is in a name!!!!!
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ks_sachin wrote: I prefer LCA and and AMCA..
What is in a name!!!!!
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but the guy who said "what's in a name" didn't forget to mention his name. That said a name is a name it's a message to friends and foes
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ArjunPandit wrote:
ks_sachin wrote: I prefer LCA and and AMCA..
What is in a name!!!!!
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but the guy who said "what's in a name" didn't forget to mention his name. That said a name is a name it's a message to friends and foes
The medium is the message. An effective LCA or Arjun or Nag is the message rather than the name.

I do howevver appreciate the very civil nature of your disaggrement..
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

RE: naming, it has to be a synonym to radiance- Tejas. BTW, No one names a variant to be having a different name. Just 1.0, 2.0 is good enough.

Blaze is aka Radiance. So, AbhA(आभा). Not that 70s pop band.
______

The SEF is not cancelled.. it is still on as MRCA RFI next version. But it might not take off until 2020 depends on who forms the next gov. Just RTFM the link above.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Self deleted - OT

Mods - my apologies. Please delete this post.
Last edited by Manish_P on 14 Sep 2018 21:03, edited 2 times in total.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

folks - please dont go heavy on naming, will ahve to delete all that stuff
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Karan M wrote:Neshant, the MOD has committed to both Tejas and the SEF for some time now. Kindly read up. Jumping into a discussion and then making all sorts of categorical assertions is not good for either the forum or the thread.
Clue in.
The entire reason for asking for an SEF was to junk the LCA regardless of what MOD claims.
It is the exact same way the Arjun was junked in favor of hurriedly imported T-90s which came alongside claims that the Army is committed to both.
This after years and years of the Army asking the DRDO to change this that and the other - which they are _still_ doing with no intention of mass producton.

SEF has now been scrapped and a competition involving both single & dual engine fighters put in its place.
However the main highlight for the LCA is now a sudden interests in bringing it to FOC and inducting it in numbers.

That was not the case just a few months back when the ex-chief of the IAF himself said the AF is not interested in the MK2!

There is no comprehending what the MOD / IAF is doing as i said.
They swing from one end to another within months.

I would not be surprised if the MOD/IAF again puts LCA on the backburner Arjun style with some foreign plane taking its place.
Its the circle of life.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Neshant, you are making all sorts of categorical statements without evidence.

Its ironic that you are asking others to clue in when you frankly admit that in your view there is "no comprehending what the MOD/IAF are doing" and on top of it, accuse the MOD of conspiring to run down the LCA when the reality is the LCA Mk2 is being supported. SEF was all about affordability, not about a top secret MOD plan to run down the LCA. Its expansion is again driven by the desire to avoid single vendor procurement and the politics around the Rafale deal.

Comparing the LCA to the Arjun is to be completely unaware of the difference in requirements. The Arjun is a heavy tank developed for the IA which is all about medium tanks. Thats because the IAs need for a heavy tank receded as the TSP guys never inducted the M1A1 and the T-XX series proved sufficient for the basic needs at hand, and changing the logistics was expensive. Whether it is the right method is debatable but its fairly obvious the Arjun is overkill for some of their needs or so some sections perceive.

The LCAs basic requirement - a light/medium weight multirole fighter is highly relevant even today for the IAF.

Any more argumentative posts without evidence will be deleted. This thread is not a dumping ground for idle chit chat.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

x-posting from mk1 dhaaga
sankum wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95TxsfyauCU
CAS interview .Total 12sq of Tejas 231nos planned 2sq mk1(40nos)+ 4sq mk1a(83nos)+6sq mk2(108 nos)
Air Force Chief ACM BS Dhanoa @45:00 wrote:LCA Mk2, which has the capability to replace Mirage 2000, Mig 29 and the Jaguar aircraft!... The proposed 110 aircrafts are taken to address the same issue (attrition/numbers) (as well)....

The faster the Mk2, the stronger the case - ie, 110 of the MMRCA will turn out to something like Mirage 4000 type aircraft or AMCA / JMT
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

My take on MK2 names - Aatish, Pavak, Jwalan all names of fire as Tejas..
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

LCA MK2 is just fine.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

i.e. Tejas Mk-2
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

pankajs wrote:i.e. Tejas Mk-2
I prefer LCA.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Karan M wrote: Comparing the LCA to the Arjun is to be completely unaware of the difference in requirements. The Arjun is a heavy tank developed for the IA which is all about medium tanks. Thats because the IAs need for a heavy tank receded as the TSP guys never inducted the M1A1
That line has been peddled a million times and it's failed miserably.

When US went to war with Iraq, it used heavy M1A1/2 Abraham's tanks to utterly destroy Iraqi T-72 medium weight tanks.
America did not need to return to the drawing board to redesign a medium tank to go up against the T-72.
It's complete nonsense that the Arjun needs to be redesigned because the enemy changed tanks from heavy to medium weight.

US used it's heavy armor not just in tank to tank battles but urban warfare itself where the tanks heavy armor proved invaluable against man portable rockets, heavy guns and just about anything thrown it's way. Again nobody said let's ship these tanks back to America and wait for a redesigned medium weight tank.

The Arjun tank is a case of bad project management.

The porcurement of the Tejas where it's gone from "we don't want the MK2 to we want many MK2" makes no sense. It's a sign of confused and chaotic decision making which no arms manufacturer can rely on.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Neshant wrote:
Karan M wrote: Comparing the LCA to the Arjun is to be completely unaware of the difference in requirements. The Arjun is a heavy tank developed for the IA which is all about medium tanks. Thats because the IAs need for a heavy tank receded as the TSP guys never inducted the M1A1
That line has been peddled a million times and it's failed miserably.

When US went to war with Iraq, it used heavy M1A1/2 Abraham's tanks to utterly destroy Iraqi T-72 medium weight tanks.
America did not need to return to the drawing board to redesign a medium tank to go up against the T-72.
It's complete nonsense that the Arjun needs to be redesigned because the enemy changed tanks from heavy to medium weight.

US used it's heavy armor not just in tank to tank battles but urban warfare itself where the tanks heavy armor proved invaluable against man portable rockets, heavy guns and just about anything thrown it's way. Again nobody said let's ship these tanks back to America and wait for a redesigned medium weight tank.

The Arjun tank is a case of bad project management.

The porcurement of the Tejas where it's gone from "we don't want the MK2 to we want many MK2" makes no sense. It's a sign of confused and chaotic decision making which no arms manufacturer can rely on.
Neshant you have not got the point Karan is making. Your Abrams equivalence misses the mark. While bad project mgmt was a factor the biggest was indifference from IA.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

We need more than 400 jets to be replaced in coming decade. Neither LCA nor MMRCA 2 can fullfill these alone.

Need both of them.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

^ Sir, who is going to fund it? I don't understand this obsession of imported wears, we can't afford Rafale in the numbers IAF is requesting. As a workaround and as per the wished of IAF, S-400 contract is signed. Now, I start to hear that we need another x MMRCA and the second batch of S-400.

Somehow, IAF leadership is not able to understand basic stuff - other branches & infrastructure also needs money. They can't claim the major chunk of the defense budget because simply they could do it in past. As other defense organizations also have their requirements - space, missiles, modern rotary wings in IA, N-subs, new aircraft carriers, naval ships, better border infrastructure - roads, bridges, and housing ... the list goes on.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

See guys, IAF plans are for 50 year period..that comes with at least couple of upgrades. Finest examples are migs & jags.

AMCA will roll in after 5-7 (max 10) years by which time Mk2 reaches FOC/squads. Mk1a must begin the first squadron by 2020.
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

^Mk2 getting FOC in 10 years would be a BIG achievement. Current pace does not inspire such confidence to be honest.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

IAF can be accused of wanting shiny imported toys, however given the state of affairs what is expected to do?

Objective of IAF: Defend the nation by having technological advantage over the adversary. This means having modern capability in sufficient numbers.

If GoI wants IAF to fight in propeller aircrafts it will do it. It is GoI's responsibility to decide how much resource it can allocate to the defence of the nation. If it can afford imports, well and good. If it cannot, then grow local industries. GoI is doing neither of them. It does not have money for imports, nor wants to reform the local defence industry, nor wants to include private sector in the process.

It is more worried about union strikes than security of the nation.

Why blame IAF for this? What do people expect IAF to do when HAL has major delays on SU30 & LCA deliveries? Should it complain to the US government? Let GoI have the b**lls to fire people for incompetence in DPSU.

We can hold IAF's feet to the fire, once GoI get's it's act together in production & procurement.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Trikaal wrote:^Mk2 getting FOC in 10 years would be a BIG achievement. Current pace does not inspire such confidence to be honest.
Paisa feko, tamasha dekho. Without paisa, no tamasha.