J&K News and Discussion - 2016

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: J&K News and Discussion - 2016

Post by disha »

^Good that the Governor dissolved the assembly. MewLawds will be interested in running the J&K though since they are looking at avenues to supercede Governor's authority.

In the meantime, lot of wail coming from 'The CHindu' (calling terrorists as millitants) -> https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 574756.ece. Though go through the comments! And upvote them if you have a chindu account.

Though read the news from this link http://zeenews.india.com/jammu-and-kash ... 57940.html
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Gurus, I believe there is a need to keep tag of casualties in the valley. Here is one from October 18, we need to keep track every month :

umber of civilians killed by unknown gunmen: 5
Number of Civilians killed during security opeations:10
-------------------------------------------------------
Total number of civilians killed:15

Number of local militants killed:18
Number of foreign militants killed:14
--------------------------------------------------
Total number of militants killed:32

Number of JKP personnel killed:3
Number of Indian forces killed:8
---------------------------------------------
Total number of forces killed:11

Total Deaths58

Mods please let me know if this is not a correct place or its an irrelevant than will remove it.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

^
It's necessary to see a tabulation of the casualties in terror attacks and terror affected areas. Not only for J&K, but for the Northeast, and the Naxal infested areas. Thanks for this information.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Naveed Jatt has been killed.
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

What’s with the J&K Governer getting talkative? Whatever made him sing, seems to me something of a serious political blowback is being engineered in the background. Perhaps to checkmate the effective security steps?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

J&K Governor Satyapal Malik is first politician to be appointed as Governor in a long time.
the earlier governors have been needed to restore law and order but now its time to bring in political stability.
When he was chosen I was one of earliest supporters.

He is not singing. He is consolidating the security environment.
Under his watch, the environment has improved.
Read the post above on the terrorists being eliminated.
All are Pakis.
One Kashmiri youth joined terrorist despite his mother and sisters appeals.
The security forces captured him alive and announced in news conference.
This shows they are not alien force.

Governor is representative of the Central Govt appointed by the President.

Watch the space as for next one year J&K is under President's rule.
And did you see how all parties: PDP and NC both welcomed his stance and 'independence"?
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

ramana wrote:J&K Governor Satyapal Malik is first politician to be appointed as Governor in a long time.
the earlier governors have been needed to restore law and order but now its time to bring in political stability.
When he was chosen I was one of earliest supporters.

He is not singing. He is consolidating the security environment.
Under his watch, the environment has improved.
Read the post above on the terrorists being eliminated.
All are Pakis.
One Kashmiri youth joined terrorist despite his mother and sisters appeals.
The security forces captured him alive and announced in news conference.
This shows they are not alien force.

Governor is representative of the Central Govt appointed by the President.

Watch the space as for next one year J&K is under President's rule.
And did you see how all parties: PDP and NC both welcomed his stance and 'independence"?
Yes I agree with the progress in the security situation in the state recently. I was commenting about his statements “if I had looked towards Delhi, I’d have had to appoint Lone as CM” and then today about the “threat” of his being transferred out of J&K as result of his statement. It seemed like a bit of a rift between the centre and the guv.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nah. its for gallery
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

November 2018 valley count :

umber of civilians killed by unknown gunmen: 0
Number of Civilians killed during security operations:0
-------------------------------------------------------
Total number of civilians killed:0

Number of local militants killed:28
Number of foreign militants killed:8
Number of local armed forces deserter turned militants killed: 1
--------------------------------------------------
Total number of militants killed:37

Number of JKP personnel killed:0
Number of Indian forces killed:4
---------------------------------------------
Total number of forces killed:4

Total Deaths41
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Hate to give Burka Bibi publicity, and there is a reason why I post her observations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ood-india/

According to her, Taliban Khan wants to revive the MMS (Sonia)-MushRat 4-point formula

The other significant yet underreported statement by Khan in his conversation with us was a reference to what policy wonks call the Musharraf-Manmohan Four Point Formula for Kashmir. It is now known that India and Pakistan almost reached a Kashmir settlement when Gen. Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan’s former army chief was also the country’s president — and Manmohan Singh was the Indian prime minister. At the heart of their draft agreement was an acceptance of the status quo and “no redrawing of borders.”
And we all know that one of key facets of this formula is 'joint sovereignty' over the valley of Kashmir. Any takers?
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Also a separate supreme court for J&K per Omar Abdullah related by Mush in interview
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CRS, Very soon J&K will change.
All these bokwas 4 and 6 points will be by the way side.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Over 250 terrorist killed this year.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 000106.cms
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the Terroristan Thread

PoK ‘minister’ at Saarc meet, India walks out - TNN

NEW DELHI: An Indian diplomat walked out of the Saarc charter meeting in Islamabad after Pakistani authorities allowed a PoK ‘minister’ to speak at the event.

Official sources said the diplomat, Shubham Singh, staged a walkout to register India’s protest over the presence of PoK minister Chaudhary Mohammed Saeed at the Saarc chamber of commerce and industry meeting on Saarc charter day. In keeping with its position on POK, India doesn’t recognise any POK minister. Elected Indian representatives and government officials avoid sharing platform with any POK minister or official.

It wasn’t clear until late in the evening if the government had raised the issue diplomatically with Pakistan. Official sources said India’s position on the Saarc summit was vindicated by this.

Cheers Image
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

this is a good read - the author has succinctly narrated some facets of the accession of J&K

https://www.dailypioneer.com/2018/colum ... myths.html

excerpts
at the time of Independence, while British India was divided on the basis of religion, the Princely States were not. They were to go, each State as a whole, to either India or Pakistan. The decision of where to go was to be made by the erstwhile ruler. In the case of Jammu & Kashmir, the then ruler, Maharaja Hari Singh, took the decision to accede to India. But to the contrary, most leaders in Kashmir built a false narrative
the misleading parts
Thus, the oft-repeated statements by NC leaders that “we decided to accede to India or our accession to India is conditional or that the merger with India has not taken place” are all motivated and misleading with the deliberate intent of sowing the seeds of ‘exclusivity’ among the Kashmiri population. The same was confirmed by party ideologue Sheikh Nazir Ahmad, who said, “Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah had no role in the accession as he was in prison at the time of accession.”
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

https://thewire.in/security/how-a-footb ... -militancy

Quoting key sections, the love for terrorists and the freudian slips..oh i had to quote entire article
Hajin: After looking for his 14-year-old son for nearly three months, Rasheed Parray’s journey to locate him came to a staggering halt when the teenager’s charred body was brought back to his native village amid pro-Pakistan and Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) slogans. A picture of his son, Mudasir, holding a AK-47 in one hand and a knife in other, mysteriously surfaced on social media last week after he joined the LeT on August 31 this year. “My wait was over that day, I knew what was to come next and here we are now,” said Parray at his residence in Bandipora’s Hajin area.
“Thanks to Almighty Allah that my son succeeded in the goal he had set to achieve. I pray that his martyrdom is accepted,” Parray said.

On Sunday, Mudasir, Saqib Bilal and Pakistani militant who went by his nom de guerre Commander Ali Bhai were killed in an 18-hour gunfight in Srinagar’s Mujgund area.
So basically wire is indirectly eulogising. Terrorism is known very closely to this family. Look for subtle contradictions in the article
Social media was flooded with photos of the teenagers, some of which were clicked years ago by their families when the two were toddlers. The photos enraged many, who asked why the teenagers were recruited in the first place just as they asked why they were killed. Back in their hometown, some celebrated the ‘bravery of the Hajin teenagers’ while others raised questions on the manner the operation in Mujgund took place.
1. Mysteriously? In today's age. Very likely the girls were being sent these pics for you know and boys for recruitment
2. Celebrating the terrorists and expecting govt forces not to respond?
“Despite my protest, he had started to take up daily jobs to support the family. My other son is almost 65% physically challenged, my wife is a homemaker, and I have a daughter who is 10. My only hope now is Allah,” Parray said as he was surrounded by his relatives and neighbours while slogans and smoke from the teargas shelling engulfed the surrounding.
At some distance, a relative wailed and singing songs that eulogised the slain teenager. Soon, she fainted

Mudasir was average at his studies but loved football from his heart. I don’t know when exactly he started romanticising the gun, but there were enough incidents that might have led him to take the decision. On August 31, he had gone to play football in Eidgah when people there saw Saqib walking up to him. They left and never contacted us ever since,” Parray said.
Why all kiddo terrorists bright and multifacted: theater jobs for home football, he could have been IAS after being a kashmiri engineer. He could have married the IAS girl topper too. Agreed that's just too late and too few
“They didn’t tell me he had turned a militant. I came to know a few days ago,” said Mudasir’s grandfather Ghulam Ahmed as he wept inconsolably.

According to Hajin residents and Mudasir’s relatives, two events might have led the teenager to join militant ranks in August. “In 2016, Mudasir spent a week in the police station after being detained on charges of stone pelting. But I requested the police to let him go. The police also saw that he was too young. However, after he was released, he never expressed a will to join militancy,” Parray said.

An uncle of Mudasir says the killing of three Pakistani militants in the end of August might have given them the final push. “He was young, thus impressionable. The killings had shaken Hajin residents, including Mudasir. Days later, he disappeared without saying anything,” said the uncle.
Here comes the proverbial freudian slip: In a village a kid is lost, he stays in same area and parents dont know it? Really are you kidding me.
However, Mudasir’s friend, Wajid, 15, said Mudasir never confided in him that he would become a militant. Four days before he left home, we spoke and he told me he would visit me. The day never came,” a teary-eyed Wajid said. “We played football together.”

Even though Wajid was a childhood friend of Mudasir’s, the 14-year-old found a comrade in Saqib Bilal. He, according to police, was the second to die in the Mujgund encounter.

Saqib also was no stranger to death and destruction.
Well here comes another lie. Most likely they are preempting the SOP CRPF and J&K police calls. At worst by Army.
His home is right next to that of Mohammad Yosuf Parray, also known as Kuka Parray. In the mid-90s, the singer-turned-militant surrendered before the Indian security forces and formed the Ikhwan-ul-Muslimoon, a pro-government militia that would soon be synonymous with extortion, kidnappings, tortures and murders. Hajin gained notoriety for being the headquarters of Ikhwaan, and the region’s political landscape changed.
Saqib was born a month before Parray was gunned down by militants in his hometown.

Saqib, like many of his peers in Hajin, loved football. He was a bright student, having scored 76% in Class 10 finals. He wanted to be become an engineer, his family said, but fate had something else in store for him. A theatre artist, he had won a theatre competition three years ago in Kerala and even appeared in a cameo role in Vishal Bhardwaj’s film Haider, a Bollywood film based on Kashmir.

“He was a good student. He didn’t even take a single tuition and had big plans for his future,” said his father Bilal Sheikh, a government employee.
That is true he made it big. As Kaka used to say "Zindagi badi hone chahiye babu mushai, na ki lambi"
“They fought like lions. This is not a mourning, this is a joyous moment,” said Asim Ijaiz, Saqib’s uncle.

Saqib joining the LeT, however, did not come out of the blue. His uncle, Nazir, was a militant with the Hizbul Mujahideen and was killed in 1998. Naturally, having a militant relative in Hajin would mean inviting the wrath of Ikhawan, and his family suffered greatly. But by the time Saqib grew up, things had stabilised in the region. Until, of course, militancy began to take roots again.

This year a number of civilians were killed by militants for being ‘informers’. And with growing popularity of the militant movement, it was not completely unimaginable that Saqib would become a militant.
Again its in the family
If things were moving slow, the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Abid Hameed Mir in August 2017 had affected Saqib to some extent, according to family members. The tipping point for Saqib, according to many in Hajin, was the August encounter.

According to another relative of one of the deceased boys, the teenagers, after joining LeT, stayed in Hajin owing to safe spaces offered to militants in the region. Residents here told The Wire that Ali and Mudasir only left Hajin for Saqib, who was suffering from jaundice from the past few days.

“The plan, we hear, was to take Saqib to district hospital, but they had to move forward to Mujgund due to a cordon in the area. On the way, they encountered a checkpost near Mujgund, and that is where the showdown began,” said the relative.

he police and the CRPF maintained that the operation was carried out based on a specific input about the militants’ presence in the area. Government officials, speaking to The Wire, said both the teenagers were killed within the first few hours of the encounter and it was “Commander Ali Bhai” who engaged the forces for 18 hours. But that hardly matters to Hajin residents.

The mood in Hajin, a former Ikhwan bastion, is of anger, remorse and, importantly, of revenge. Soon after the duo was buried in the Martyrs’ graveyard, violent clashes broke out between the army and protesting locals. Throughout the day, government forces rained teargas shells in the area while protestors hurled rocks at the forces.

Not far away from where the clashes were taking place, Mudasir’s wailing mother cried repeatedly, “I need my son, I need my son.”
That's just the SOP of terrorist's mothers
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can you draw a mind map of the two militant stories?
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Can Pakistani citizens resettle in J&K, SC asks state govt - Dhananjay Mahapatra

NEW DELHI: More than 35 years after the Jammu and Kashmir assembly enacted a law permitting state residents who migrated to Pakistan in 1947 to return with their descendants for resettlement, the Supreme Court on Thursday asked the state whether it intended to allow Pakistani citizens to settle in J&K.

Taking up a bunch of long pending petitions filed by Panthers Party through its chief Bhim Singh and four others challenging the validity of J&K Grant of Permit for Resettlement in (or Permanent Return to) the State Act, 1982, a bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and K M Joseph said an 18-year-old who migrated to Pakistan in 1947 would now be 90 years old. “Will you allow his children and grandchildren and their wives, who are born in Pakistan and citizens thereof, to come back and settle in J&K?” the bench asked.

“If the Act is put into operation, the grandchildren of those who migrated to Pakistan in 1947 can now come with their families and settle in Jammu and Kashmir. How do you include his/her children? This will amount to allowing someone other than those who migrated to Pakistan to settle in the state,” the bench added.

On behalf of the Centre, solicitor general Tushar Mehta echoed the petitioners’ apprehensions against the 1982 law and said permitting resettlement of descendants of state residents who migrated to Pakistan in 1947 would not only create a serious security situation for the country but also contravene provisions of the Citizenship Act.

Appearing for the state, senior advocate Rakesh Dwivedi said the SC could read 12/14/2018 down the provision to mean that only those who had migrated to Pakistan in 1947 could be permitted to come back and settle in India provided they swore loyalty to the Constitution of India and of J&K.

CJI Gogoi asked Dwivedi whether he was making this statement on instructions from the state government. After conferring with state standing counsel Shoeb Alam, Dwivedi told the court, “It is a sensitive issue. I cannot make any statement as the situation in the state is far from normal.” Understanding Dwivedi’s predicament, the bench told him to take instructions on this question and adjourned hearing to the second week of January.

The bench also asked the J&K government to furnish details of the number of applications it had received from original migrants from the state to Pakistan expressing their intent to resettle in India. Dwivedi said the state government had indeed received some applications for resettlement under the 1982 law. “We have not considered any of the applications,” he said. The bench asked him to apprise the court on the factual position during the next hearing.

In its affidavit, the Centre had cited a few examples of consequences of the 1982 law and said, “The Act purports to enable persons who may have voluntarily migrated to Pakistan, taken Pakistani citizenship, appropriated evacuee property, even served in Pakistani civil or armed services or fought against India or committed other treasonable acts against India to return at any time of their choosing and settle in J&K... This will endanger national security and public order.”

It had said the Act provided no mechanism to verify the antecedents of those wishing to resettle in J&K. The Centre had said the 1982 Act violated Section 9(2) of the Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, which gave the Union government the exclusive power to determine whether, when and how a person could acquire citizenship and that it had exclusive powers under the Foreigners Act, 1946, to regulate entry of foreigners into India.

Cheers Image
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

The Act is likely to be struck down or severely curtailed.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think the J&K and GOI are forgetting a crucial portion of the act
the Jammu and Kashmir assembly enacted a law permitting state residents who migrated to Pakistan in 1947 to return with their descendants for resettlement,
In other words it allows those who migrated in 1947 to return with their descendants.
It does not apply to the descendants alone to come back.

They need to be with their ancestor!
Obviously those who migrated in 1947 found paradise in Pakistan and went from there.

SC is right that allowing the descendants to settle does not meet the intent of the original act.

What kind of dakhan lawyers is India producing nowadays?
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

This type of retarded behaviour is happening quite a lot now. An encounter is going on between the security forces and jihadi terrorists and locals then come along and put themselves in the middle of the situation and then people cry when these locals are killed. It is not the Centre which has a Rambo mindset here, whatever the hell that even means, it is the idiotic locals.
Srinagar: Mainstream political parties in Kashmir condemned the killing of civilians allegedly in security forces' action during an encounter in Pulwama district Saturday, saying Governor Satya Pal Malik-led administration has "failed" to secure lives of the people.

Seven civilians died in south Kashmir's Pulwama district when security forces allegedly opened fire at an unruly crowd that tried to storm the site of an encounter in which three militants and Army man were killed
https://www.news18.com/news/india/how-l ... 74481.html
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Pulwama encounter: Civilian casualties in clashes point to increased suicidal trend among Kashmiri youth
To the northwest of the outskirts of Pulwama town in Jammu and Kashmir lies Sirnoo village, located in the dangerous corridor between Srinagar and Pulwama through the restive "mohallas" of Pampore and Kakapura. If it isn't Tral — also in Pulwama district — it is usually the villages in this corridor that provide safe houses to local militants from South Kashmir. With winter at its peak, militants who took shelter at the Tral heights or further south in the higher plateaus have all gravitated to lower ground. They don't really need safe houses in the literal definition of the term because being local, they can move around with much greater flexibility.

Based on actionable intelligence, which seems to be flowing much more freely, combined teams of the Indian Army's Rashtriya Rifles, the Jammu and Kashmir Police and the Central Reserved Police OFrce (CRPF) descended in Sirnoo in Pulwama and established a cordon by first light on 15 December. In the ensuing encounter, three terrorists were killed.

However, in an effort to get to the encounter site — first to help the militants escape and then to quickly retrieve their bodies for funerals — civilians in large numbers arrived at the site of the gunfight. Stone-pelting mobs, with great passion and unmindful of their personal safety, attempted to resist the security forces, resulting in the death of seven civilians, in a chilling reminder that the situation in South Kashmir seems to be worsening.

The involvement of civilians is adding a flavor of far greater negativity and opening up the security forces to greater allegations of human rights violations. Although this is nothing new in the 27-year-old proxy war in Jammu and Kashmir, and the Indian forces have faced such allegations before, this needs a a bit of an explanation on the basis of two questions: First, has the strategy of security personnel, developed over the past three years, failed to find adequate ways to tackle instigated mobs? Second, are civilians not mindful of personal safety and the high potential of becoming casualties? The answers to these could point us towards the direction in which South Kashmir is heading.

To begin with, let's examine the first question. It was evident in 2016 that the security forces had developed drills as per which different components of the combined forces focused on their domains of expertise. As a result, the CRPF was largely responsible for handling civilians, both before and after encounters; the Rashtriya Rifles occupied the inner cordon of a site and neutralised the holed up militants as they have heavier weaponry and the required expertise and explosive handlers to storm houses if needed; the police give close support to both, having mostly generated the intelligence, acted as guides and provided continuous liaison. None of these tasks are mutually exclusive and often overlap based on the circumstances. On Saturday, this strategy appeared to have been meeting the needs of the situation in Pulwama, though things did go awry every now and then.

Just a few months ago, in a high-profile operation, the Rashtriya Rifles left the encounter site earlier than mandated to avoid getting caught in the chaos of mobs descending on the site. As a result, they could not clear the unexploded munitions from the encounter site, because of which civilians, in a hurry to recover the bodies of militants, suffered casualties as the explosives blew up, leaving many dead and grievously injured.

Furthermore, it appears that on constant advice from across the border in Pakistan, efforts to counter the drills of the security forces are on. Officers involved in such operations say that social media is constantly used to mobilise mobs even as when security forces have early intelligence on militants holed up in safe houses. There is a finite limit to the procedures and drills that security forces can develop, and that is going to pose a further challenge to them, even as the strength of militants in Kashmir appears to have stagnated to around 300 to 350 after the killing of 238 of them this year.

The second question on civilians — especially the youth — being unmindful of their safety while fighting security forces with stones is a more complex issue. Clearly, the alienation they feel is at a far higher level than ever witnessed before. The mob's strategy is to reach the site of the encounter in large numbers and to have their strength constantly swell, target the cordon and the main party involved in the encounter to disrupt the operation. If the security teams have already completed the operation, then the mob attempts to get possession of the bodies of the militants so their funerals can be held in villages in full view of the public to motivate the youth even more for the "cause".

There appear to be few answers to this question, and the inevitability of civilian casualties in such encounters will continue to loom large. When the flow of such intelligence increases and the number of encounters rise, the cascading effect can be quite threatening to the prevailing environment in Kashmir. One is unaware of what methods are being used to discourage unnecessary loss of life; elders and clergymen appear to be at a loss as much as political leaders, who do not appear to matter. The ever-increasing radical content disseminated points towards the specter of suicide bombing, with child militants roped in for the purpose, much like Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and Pakistan. That will be another threat altogether, and the recent killing of a child militant in Hajin points to the very possibility, however remote at the moment.

There is a need for collective introspection to examine how the emerging threat needs to be countered. Operations against militant groups cannot cease, but there is a need for a call for greater social outreach to the civil society to play on emotions and underline the futility of sacrificing young lives on the call of radicals.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/pulwama ... 35971.html
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Just a few months ago, in a high-profile operation, the Rashtriya Rifles left the encounter site earlier than mandated to avoid getting caught in the chaos of mobs descending on the site. As a result, they could not clear the unexploded munitions from the encounter site, because of which civilians, in a hurry to recover the bodies of militants, suffered casualties as the explosives blew up, leaving many dead and grievously injured.
Call me heartless. But people who eulogize terrorists do not deserve any thing better.

I think terrorists want to engage around civilians so that they can get civilian support and the casualties can be blamed on the police/RR/peace-keepers and a new round of martyrdom propahgandu can be reactivated.

A declaration that anybody helping the terrorists are themselves terrorists is needed.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Booby trapping the terrorist dead bodies is good idea to extract right price from terrorist sympathizers for their stupidity.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Its quite clear that we need ongoing surgical strikes inside Pakiland, as a matter of policy. The one that was done was great & got good political brownie points as well. But I feel that too much emphasis was placed on how it was "casualty free" etc. While we want all our ops to be casualty free, these kinds of high bars raise the question of whether future ops are even possible.

We have been fighting on our turf for too long. We want Dawn to write about how their aspiring cricket teenagers joined terrorism and were bumped off inside Pakiland
menon s
BRFite

Post by menon s »

Well if the youth are feeling alienated, then why? is the rate of actionable intelligence growing so fast?
The next step is a wave of suicide attacks on our forces by militants, thats for sure.
If we know thats coming a strategy needs to be in place to counter it.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

disha wrote:
Call me heartless. But people who eulogize terrorists do not deserve any thing better.

I think terrorists want to engage around civilians so that they can get civilian support and the casualties can be blamed on the police/RR/peace-keepers and a new round of martyrdom propahgandu can be reactivated.

A declaration that anybody helping the terrorists are themselves terrorists is needed.
There is a need for the authorities to dispose of the bodies of the dead jehadis.

Handing over these dead bodies to the locals gives rise to violent protests during such ISI orchestrated funeral processions and causes social havoc both in society and in the media.

jehadis thrive only in the toxic atmosphere of publicity and we are willfully abetting them in this exercise to garner more recruits.

Even the bodies of foreign terrorists are handed over to the locals, WHY??
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

menon s wrote:Well if the youth are feeling alienated, then why? is the rate of actionable intelligence growing so fast?
The next step is a wave of suicide attacks on our forces by militants, thats for sure.
If we know thats coming a strategy needs to be in place to counter it.
my guess, danda at right places in right direction, money never stops working in kashmir
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Governor trying to bring much needed reforms to J&K.

https://www.dailypioneer.com/2018/colum ... n-j-k.html
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Congoon eco-system is acting up. Ex-judge Katju called stone pelting soft terrorists as civilians & equated the solders to nazis & officers to dyer.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Why delimitation of seats in J&K is important. My personal estimate is that population numbers for J&K are inaccurate.

http://earlytimesnews.com/m/newsdet.aspx?q=124783

http://www.scoopnews.in/det.aspx?q=44616
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

President's rule in J&K. Time to repeal Art 35A by Presidential order?
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Army officer killed as Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Kupwara – PTI

SRINAGAR: An Army officer was killed and another personnel injured as Pakistani troops violated ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwaara district Friday, an official said.

There was an unprovoked ceasefire violation by Pakistan in Keran sector at 11.55 am. One junior commissioner officer (JCO) was killed and another injured in the firing, the Army official said.

He said the Indian Army responded to the ceasefire violation effectively.

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Terrorists using hideouts away from habitations indicate dwindling of their support base: Officials - PTI

SRINAGAR: In an indication of further shrinkage of the terrorists' support base in the valley, more and more cases of outlaws using cave-like hideouts away from the human habitations are surfacing, say security personnel.

A police official made this remark on Wednesday after security forces busted an underground hideout of terrorists in Awantipora area of Pulwama district where some of the top Hizbul Mujahideen commanders were believed to be hiding.

The official said a search operation was launched in the area on early Wednesday on a tip off about the presence of terrorists in the hideout - a cave-like structure made in a hillock.

Though nothing incriminating could by found by the security forces, there were tell-tale signs of the hideout having been used recently by terrorists, the official said.

The ultras appeared to have deserted it hours before the security forces launched the search operation.

This cave-like hideout, away from the human habitations, was detected Wednesday, barely days after discovery of another similar hideout in Arampora area of Awantipora.

The busting of the second cave-like hideout came four days after six terrorists of Ansar Ghazwatul Hind, an offshoot of ISIS, were killed in an encounter in Arampora area of Awantipora on Saturday.

"The terrorists killed in the operation on Saturday were also avoiding residential areas for quite sometime and hiding in a cave-like hideout," the official said.

He said six terrorists including some wanted Hizbul Mujahideen terrorists were killed in Saktipora operation in Anantnag district on November 23 while three others were gunned down in Pulwama district this month.

"In both the cases, the terrorists had built underground hideouts near orchards," he added.

The security officials said the terrorists have been left looking for alternative hideouts due to the fact that atrocities committed by them against civilians have led to disaffection among the masses and shrinkage of their support base.

"More than 50 civilians were killed by terrorists this year while some of the brutal executions were captured on camera and later circulated on social media. This has further reduced their already shrinking support base," the official said.

He said the other factor for this new trend was the continuous flow of human intelligence to the security forces, which has helped them neutralise a large number of ultras during the year.

"More than 250 terrorists have been killed this year and it has been possible due to the stream of human intelligence that we have been getting from general public. This has probably forced the terrorists to avoid human habitations and take refuge in these structures. However, we have been getting inputs about these places as well and we are working on it," the police official said.

Cheers Image
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/comme ... 05424.html

Radicalisation in the Valley can be countered with out-of-the-box approach by Lt Gen DS Hooda (retd)

excerpted from the above write up
One key area in the fight against radicalisation is the government’s communication strategy. Terrorists use extremely effective messages and narratives to attract people to their cause. This is a battle of perceptions, where what is true is not as important as what is perceived to be true. The target is the mind and the most important weapons are Facebook and Twitter. Extremist narratives are based on a mixture of real and perceived grievances and play on fears. In Kashmir, the narrative that the Kashmiri identity is under threat is a consistent theme.

The government’s strategy to counter this narrative has been largely based on a law enforcement approach — shut down the extremist content by pressurising service providers or shut down the Internet altogether. This will have only a limited impact because of the limitations in monitoring the massive quantity of content on the Internet. Blocked accounts reappear under other names within minutes.

An effective communication campaign must focus on discrediting radical ideologies and providing a healing narrative to the target population. While preparing this campaign, three important aspects have to be kept in mind. First, and most important, it should target all extremist content, irrespective of religion and ideology. An extreme right-wing message can have the same effect on a disgruntled Muslim youth in Kashmir as an Al-Qaeda video. Both these contents must be countered with equal emphasis.

Second, a Centrally driven campaign from Delhi will have only a limited appeal. While Delhi must lay down the broad policies and guidelines, the implementation should go down to the local level. Different regions and threats require a different narrative. The ideology that drives a student in South Kashmir towards radicalisation is different from that of a youth in Poonch. A common theme for both groups may end up appealing to neither.

And finally, narratives have to be supported by actions on the ground. Sometimes, leaders become so seduced by social media that putting out a tweet or press note seems like enough action as long as it generates thousands of likes. If there is no follow-up activity, the government’s credibility can be quickly damaged. Today, all political and military leaders appeal to the local youth who have joined terror outfits, asking them to shun violence and return to the mainstream. However, when the state government sought to introduce a new surrender and rehabilitation policy in March, it became the casualty of political wrangling and had to be withdrawn.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

I came across this amazing 1hr 51min documentary on Kashmir. A la beginners guide to the history & geopolitics of J&K from back in the day to present day.

Have any of you seen it? And for the ones who are going to see it, is everything presented correctly or...........?

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Better question yet - how have thousands of illegal Rohingas settled in J&K. Utterly insane.