Army strikes terror camps in PoK

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
brvarsh
BRFite

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by brvarsh »

SBajwa wrote:
Zynda wrote:Uri will cross 100 Crore at Box Office by EOD. First block buster of 2019...

The amount of burnol it is creating at liberal quarters is evident by this comment attached at the end in NDTV's article:
Saw URI movie. Very Good!

I thought even if a pin is out of hand grenade you can still press the lever to stop detonation. Brother in law of Vihaan Shergill accidentally takes out pin from the terrorist grenade and just kept staring at grenade.
The terrorist had more than two grenades unpinned. A surprise factor plays out too for a few seconds.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Uri box office: Here are 6 records Vicky Kaushal’s film breaks as it earns Rs 115.87 cr
:
:
Uri breaks Baahubali, Dangal record

Uri - The Surgical Strike has created history as its second weekend box office collection was higher than the first weekend. The film had collected Rs 35.92 crore in its first weekend and the second weekend is Rs 37.75 crore. This is unprecedented and has never happened for a film that opened with Rs 5 crore collection. This is something biggest hits ever such as Baahubali and Dangal couldn’t achieve.

Uri breaks Stree, Raazi, Badhaai Ho records
:
:
Sorry for the OT
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

my kids are demanding i take them again this coming weekend Jan26.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

-30 degrees Celsius, Sunday late afternoon, 2 weeks after release and the film runs to full house with seats having to be reserved in advance. The audience claps at the end of the movie.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Army strikes terror camps in PoK

Post by ramana »

Recent movie URI has made a lot of waves raking in Rs. 100 crores in first week.
its running to packed houses in US Canada.
Fairly decent recounting of the surgical strikes with dramatization of family lives.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Please continue discussion of the excellent, super-hit, Bollywood movie - URI in this thread.

I have moved all posts relating to the movie from the Indian Army - News & Discussion thread into this one. Thank You.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Singha wrote:my kids are demanding i take them again this coming weekend Jan26.
Take them to Manikarnika. Shows are already selling out.

My experience at the theatre watching Uri:

1. Bunch of kids 5-7 year olds in the theatre.
2. One kid gets up at the helicopter scene (towards the end of the movie) and shouts out "Bad people bad, Indian army good - thishook thishook thishook" (imitating gun fire).
3. Several adults walking out with a smile on their face.

More of such movies will be made. Since Bollywood goes after money. And money is there.

Best thing that happened - all the useless anti-national "film critiques" were thrown in the dustbin.
Last edited by disha on 23 Jan 2019 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I want to see Manikarnika as well. Have not seen Uri either, which I also want to see.
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

Watched Uri last weekend. First class! For once, the depiction of small arms handling and tactics was really excellent. E.g., throw a grenade into a room, enter and each tango gets a double tap even if he looked dead. Also how the teams move and cover each other.

There was resounding cheers of "Bharat mata ki jai!" in the whole audience after the movie - this in SF Bay Area!

There is some scope for improvement but these are nits and the movie is by and far the best made on the Indian army.

Would probably watch again.

How's the josh???
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Review from Syed Hasnain (Ex GOC 15 Srinagar)

https://swarajyamag.com/culture/uri-the ... e-mistakes
Overall, Uri: The Surgical Strike is a pretty good patriotic entertainment, many notches above the usual Bollywood attempts to showcase the armed forces of India. Watch it for fun and don’t confuse yourself with authenticity, it’s not necessary as there is no perfection in life. If you have questions ring up some knowledgeable friends from the uniformed forces or meet them over a drink; they will clarify much.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Rakesh wrote:I want to see Manikarnika as well. Have not seen Uri either, which I also want to see.
Must watch! Well this weekend you can most likely see Uri (since the crowd would have gone to watch Manikarnika)

Here is what BIF are up to:

https://livewire.thewire.in/out-and-abo ... s-coming/p
... From a blaring background score to beast-like soldiers who want nothing but the enemy’s blood, this war film is another addition to several other military dramas that are cashing in on our contemporary hyper-nationalism.
After a series of surgical-strike based ad campaigns, a full-fledged three-hour film on a contested, highly politicised and acrimonious issue is only going to stoke the already-rising flames of toxic hyper-nationalism.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Raman wrote:Watched Uri last weekend. First class! For once, the depiction of small arms handling and tactics was really excellent. E.g., throw a grenade into a room, enter and each tango gets a double tap even if he looked dead. Also how the teams move and cover each other.

There was resounding cheers of "Bharat mata ki jai!" in the whole audience after the movie - this in SF Bay Area!

There is some scope for improvement but these are nits and the movie is by and far the best made on the Indian army.

Would probably watch again.

How's the josh???
High sir!!!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Tarun Adarsh tweet yesterday. Looks like banner week in US-Canada..
#UriTheSurgicalStrike is a SMASH-HIT Overseas... Crosses $ 3 mn after Weekend 2... Total till 20 Jan 2019: $ 3,094,132 [₹ 22.04 cr]... Breakup:
USA+Canada: $ 1.693 mn
UAE+GCC: $ 709k
Australia: $ 334k
UK: $ 149k
Singapore: $ 108k
NZ: $ 62k
South+East Africa: $ 26k
Fiji: $ 10k
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

My review right after seeing the movie on Saturday night.

Ramana:
Got to see URI yesterday in Northern California. Theater was 3/4 full. The movie premise is about the surgical strike in September 2016 after a terrorist attack on the Army camp. The film is not a documentary but based on the real events that led to the planning and execution. The fundamental message is a new India has arrived. Rest are vignettes to deliver that message.
One bonus is the Surgical Strike on Manipur terrorists in Myanmar is also shown. And the late Colonel daughter inspires a gut wrenching scene.

Another is plenty of asides to warm BRF jingos hearts. Lots of side swipes on Paki society. Jihadis drinking whiskey and playing golf. Will be wary of whiskey in future!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think.maybe script writers frequent this forum. So many forum truths about Paki Army leadership are there.
Paresh Rawal did great job as Pigeon.
Actor playing Manohar Parrikar was also good.

And DDM was portrayed as we think.
I want to see again.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Singha wrote:my kids are demanding i take them again this coming weekend Jan26.
GD Take them and its on me!!!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

wig wrote:http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/govt-to-s ... swift-ops/

Govt to set up special ‘Surgical Strike Force’ for swift ops
excerpts
Government is contemplating to set up 250-member strong special ‘Surgical Strike Force’ to carry out operations deep inside Pakistan’s territory to target launching pads of the militants across the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir and neutralize infiltration attempts well before the militants cross the LoC and for conducting “certain extraordinary operations” whenever required.
“All members of the `Surgical Strike Force’ will be well trained commandos of three armed forces including Army, Indian Air Force (IAF) and Navy,” official sources told the Excelsior and said the `Special Force’ could come up at the very earliest especially in view of surge in sniper attacks by Pakistan army on the Indian soldiers in which number of soldiers have either attained martyrdom or were injured.
The ‘Surgical Strike Force’, according to sources, will conduct Intelligence based operations to thwart enemy’s plans like BAT (Border Action Team) strikes, sniper attacks, infiltration attempts by the trained militants and other such nefarious activities on the LoC under exceptional circumstances only by the Pakistan army and its supported trained militants.
All day-to-day operations and activities on the LoC will continue to be undertaken by the troops deployed there, sources said.

Old timers might remember "Unkown"
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Paul wrote:Saw URI in the theatres today. Audiences were jingoistic and full of josh.

Special effects in first half were better than second half. Liked Rakesh Bedi's cameo role as ISI afsar. :D
SHQ was saying Angoori's father!!!
The scenes in Pakiland will make them very wary. Won't drink whiskey or eat biryani cooked by Aasma!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SBajwa wrote:Yeah! I agree with the good General! More fiction than fact!! lots of errors but it is highly entertaining.
A soldier of Dogra (Jammu where they speak Dogri or Pahadi) regiment is singing a Bhojpuri song very early in the movie (He could be officer from Bihar) when their convoy is attacked in Manipur.
The point professional don't get is its not a documentary. Its based on the surgical strike and weaves a story around that.
Rest are vignettes to show the life in Kashmir around LOC.
One thing this film did was brought the war on the LOC home to the audience. How our soldiers get ambushed by sneaky terrorists sent from Pakistan. The little girl paying homage to her late father, the composure of her mother who has to hold back tears.

The venality of the Paki leadership with whom the Liberals and media want samjhota.
Who can resort to talks with a rapist leader. he gets drugged and truth serum injected.
Hope it was extra dose in real life.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

ramana wrote:I think.maybe script writers frequent this forum. So many forum truths about Paki Army leadership are there.

I want to see again.
I happen to know people at the production house. An Ex IA Major advised on the script and the Army PR department also gave ample support :wink:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

need of hour is convergence between state police intel, IB, RAW, NIA and the sharp end of the spear small deputations from SF units .
delta force/seals/CIA formed such teams in iraq and afpak for better and quicker coordination.
perhaps this combined JTF unit will be along such lines a joint RAW + SF venture.

why for example can we not bundle some fugitive economic offenders sunning themselves in a beach into a jute sack and "arrest them from nepal border while trying to sneak across"

usually with good intel, the actual strike becomes safer and predictable. good humint and technical means is the key.

our SF has to move from conventional strikes into undercover ops both internal and external.....they will need special training to travel and blend in anywhere ..... KGB used to have highly educated people in its foreign hit teams versed in all western ways of life and many languages .

grab a couple of haramis and privately 'dare' the 'outraged' western govt to host more such scum. put the scum on notice that just a foreign passport is not a lifelong insurance policy.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

GD Saab,

There are plenty of such undercover ops undertaken by SF for COIN in Kashmir. There are a lot of stories published on the net in various blogs to that effect.

I have had First hand interaction with a senior IB official who had done UC ops against Naxals during the late 1990's.

So it's not that we don't do it, we just don't have the visibility that is given to US agencies and I am happy them not getting the spotlight.

But, I agree that we need to put in place an institutional mechanism for these one-off operations to become more joint and effective.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

rkhanna wrote:
ramana wrote:I think.maybe script writers frequent this forum. So many forum truths about Paki Army leadership are there.

I want to see again.
I happen to know people at the production house. An Ex IA Major advised on the script and the Army PR department also gave ample support :wink:
Director and writer of the movie is one 'Aditya Dhar', a KP by birth. He would have seen enough Paki and Jehadi perfidy by his own eyes or by stories from friends and relatives. I wonder how Bhaiwood allowed this movie to be made.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Singha wrote:need of hour is convergence between state police intel, IB, RAW, NIA and the sharp end of the spear small deputations from SF units .
delta force/seals/CIA formed such teams in iraq and afpak for better and quicker coordination.
perhaps this combined JTF unit will be along such lines a joint RAW + SF venture.

why for example can we not bundle some fugitive economic offenders sunning themselves in a beach into a jute sack and "arrest them from nepal border while trying to sneak across"

usually with good intel, the actual strike becomes safer and predictable. good humint and technical means is the key.

our SF has to move from conventional strikes into undercover ops both internal and external.....they will need special training to travel and blend in anywhere ..... KGB used to have highly educated people in its foreign hit teams versed in all western ways of life and many languages .

grab a couple of haramis and privately 'dare' the 'outraged' western govt to host more such scum. put the scum on notice that just a foreign passport is not a lifelong insurance policy.
Singha, Most such western operations on ground are led by their junior officers and NCOs. Tactically it is they who call the shots. In Iraq if I remember the concerned unit(Was it Task force 121?) was headed by Major rank officer. Seal team six ops are almost completely led by NCOs.

The problem in India is that senior officers and bureaucrats are unwilling to let go of control. Here delegation is out and micro management is in. The kind of special ops you are talking about will not be possible without trusting and empowering the juniors.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

I want to watch this weekend. Hope they don't kick out this movie from the theatres.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Work load , yet to see URI. :cry: :cry:

I have an question to those who have already watched the movie, whether the dialogue "Apney 72 huro se keh dena intezaar karey, aur bhi mehmaan aaney waley hain" is present in movie or it has been removed ?

As initially official YouTube trailer had this punch line, but after r**di rona by tukrey2 gang , trailer was pulled down , this dialogue was cut and trailer relaunched in YT.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

@Mollick, the dialog is very much there in the US theater that we saw it in.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Mollick.R wrote:Work load , yet to see URI. :cry: :cry:

I have an question to those who have already watched the movie, whether the dialogue "Apney 72 huro se keh dena intezaar karey, aur bhi mehmaan aaney waley hain" is present in movie or it has been removed ?

As initially official YouTube trailer had this punch line, but after r**di rona by tukrey2 gang , trailer was pulled down , this dialogue was cut and trailer relaunched in YT.

Clipped in India. It's has been changed to apne bhaiyon ko keh dena...
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

Also the pigs are all collectively burned after! Nice touch.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

@ Najunamar
@ Thakur_B
Thank u sir(s), for update.
Najunamar wrote:Also the pigs are all collectively burned after! Nice touch.

I guess those flame throw scenes have burnt a** of a lot of TrackThoo gangs also. :D :D :D
Inder Sharma
BRFite

Post by Inder Sharma »

brvarsh wrote:
SBajwa wrote:
Saw URI movie. Very Good!

I thought even if a pin is out of hand grenade you can still press the lever to stop detonation. Brother in law of Vihaan Shergill accidentally takes out pin from the terrorist grenade and just kept staring at grenade.
The terrorist had more than two grenades unpinned. A surprise factor plays out too for a few seconds.
I think that scene is dramatization involving Lt Col Niranjan's death. He died while defusing grenades off from a Dead rat.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I saw the movie twice (First Friday and 2nd Friday), both time by US standard the crowd was good. Even the second time, I was at the edge of my seat, same suspense, only that second time I found my self praying that one tragedy does not happen (please do not fall in the booby trap). It is intense and great movie (dare I say better than zero dark thirty). You do not have to be BR or Inidan or a Jingo to like it, but if you are, and not seen it, you are missing BIG!!
Ps - I do not see movie twice. Last time it was Bahubali 1, only because first version was in Telgu and later one was in Hindi (and I do not speak Telgu)
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

It is TELUGU.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

darshan my pov was the actual strike is comparatively "easier" than locating time sensitive info on big targets when they can be struck. big shots do not hang about in shepherd tents, they come and go under heavy protection and secrecy. even fugitives living abroad take precautions , change identity etc. operational logistics and time sensitive intel reaching the hit team is the key.

zero dark 30 type strikes are anti climaxes really. OBLs fate was sealed the moment Pakis sold him out.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

I saw Uri in Chennai this weekend with members of my family who don't understand Hindi. They all loved the movie more than me. The hall was full but the emotion was lower in Chennai, perhaps due to not knowing Hindi+ rest of the Hindi speaking crowd was more elitist DCH? Tamil dubbing or at least Subtitles would bring in more people in non Hindi speaking states
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Guys, could you stop being cruel. Yours truly has not had the opportunity to view this movie till now. :(

I am still hoping to catch it in a day or two.
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

In Chennai, my experience in Phoenix is
1. Theater Jam-packed...
2. Lots of whistle , hooters screams
3. From this week, 2 extra late night show being started... demand is very high for tickets.
4. Even my office guys who are not into Hindi, are going to watch the movie.
5. Overall ticket availability in Chennai is very tough in any app... 2/3 days advance booking showing house full or few scattered seats.

Josh is HIGH sir... :)
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

darshhan wrote:Guys, could you stop being cruel. Yours truly has not had the opportunity to view this movie till now. :(

I am still hoping to catch it in a day or two.
How's the JOSH!!! :lol: :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I am going in again with kids this weekend
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

The taqleef on r/india on the release and success of Uri is highly palpable.

One could be forgiven for thinking that they had landed on r/Pakistan instead.