Army strikes terror camps in PoK

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Re: Army strikes terror camps in PoK

Post by Mollick.R »

Few points

1. Couldn't understand NSA breaking a mobile handset after each call. Exaggeration ????
2. Was expecting onscreen use of flamethrowers to wind up piglets.
3. Jingo would have felt more happy if Instead of techie kid's Grarud more use of ISRO resources and was shown.

But those are just nitpicks of a nanha jingo
& Yeh Dil Mangey More feeling.
satya
BRFite

Post by satya »

Mollick.R wrote:Few points

1. Couldn't understand NSA breaking a mobile handset after each call. Exaggeration ????
3. Jingo would have felt more happy if Instead of techie kid's Grarud more use of ISRO resources and was shown.

Doval saab doesnt use mobile in real life .
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

I assume we don't want to disclose ISRO's operational capabilities, so the movie took some cinematic liberties and brought in the DRDO kid. But I was puzzled by the disdain shown towards DRDO, seemed uncalled for.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Disdain was towards I am senior so show respect to me and I am always right...
Ajit Doval breaking headset could be that the call can never be traced/intercepted. But then how do someone call you, of course you can call.
Btw the dialogue 72 hoor (in trailers) has been changed (at least in US of A) to Dokhaj (meaning hell) me apne bhaiyon ko bolna ki dawat par intejar kare, abhi aur mehmaan ane waale hain.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Karan M wrote:Its one thing when India Today or journalists report it. It remains speculation. This man is giving away operational and strategic details. Pathetic.
Oh, now that we are on this topic, perhaps I should mention Plan Moobad. Back in 2001 we had completed training for a swift 6-hour takeover of Muzzafarabad, during which the perimeter would be sealed, all communications jammed, total air cover provided, and all pigs found corralled into a central parking lot - and the trash buried and paved over with a set of earth movers already hired for the purpose. "Leave only a freshly levelled parking lot" was the order. Unfortunately mission was called off when Op Parakram preparations took over.

Just 2 show that v know where they live, and can "take them out" anytime.

But I am sure the Plan can be dusted off and executed (pun intended) any day.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Hehe.. super exaggeration. Either one would not use a cellphone at all, which can be intercepted over the air.. E.g. Radiaa tapes. If one uses a cellphone, the only reason to break/destroy it is to make sure no one can trace it using signal triangulation or gps. This needs cooperation from the local carriers and police agency. Why will the lion be scared of local police in his own den? :-)
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

The folks that are hunted by khan don’t use a cell phone twice to ensure they can stay below the radar. At least that’s how it’s depicted in all seeious western crime dramas

cell phones (actually the sims) provide mobility and convenience while on move. Still seems stupid for NSA to use such a route.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The original Chechen rebel leader Dodayev was, IIRC, a Soviet General before he decided to fight for Chechen independence. One day he used his phone (OK, probably a SatPhone). Someone was listening. A missile came down the beam directly to his head, from a helicopter overhead.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Nsa breaking phone was a humor quirk to show his frustration at the bad news that periodically came to him and pressure from the top

Not shown as a operational detail
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

I have not seen the movie, couldn’t get ticket, most probably i’l find tickets tomorrow
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Not necessarily.

The cell phones may be encrypted comm links with one time pad and destroyed by one use. By breaking the phones in certain way the chips inside the phones are also broken irretrievably.

I have seen encrypted modules on device servers where to break them completely one has to manually flip a mechanical switch and pull out a rack which breaks all the cards and chips inside the device.

Though the way a new phone is provided to the NSA was wrong, one just does not pull out a new phone from a bag :) .

And it did serve a point of interest in the story. That is what it matters.
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

I watched the movie today at PVR Pacific mall. The last hindi movie I watched in the theatre was Stanley ka dabba. The editing is crisp and the cinematography, locations and BGM are one of the best I have seen in a Hindi movie. My only grouse was the scene where they were chased by Paki Helicopter, it felt a bit unrealistic.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

watched the movie in Wembley, london. Even though it is 3rd week the hall was 90% full, with late entrants as always, found the movie was extremely well made. Gripping, and in some cases really moving, the salute & war cry of little girl was the high point of movie. More than the action, this movie has given a realistic picture of the challenges in a SF ops and quells the idiotic notions that many people have that everything is barbed and easy to cover each and every mm2 with current strength of Indian military.
The scene where the grenade pins are set off by pulling the AK47 will go long way in sensitizing the masses why terrorist bodies are dragged by geeps. The music is touching.
Towards the end everyone clapped. Far away from motherland, that's the best thing I saw after Airlift
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

Techie guy's Garud is inspired by Festo's smartbird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnR8fDW3Ilo
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Cheeni awaam cowers under flocks of spy pigeons used by the police there. Its used there day to day.

Google for china drone pigeons

The mi17 gun pod firing on paki heli could have been shown bit more accurate it was way off target after a few seconds

Film was shot in serbia. Some uh1 and gazelle types helis seen which we dont use

The two mi17 scudding over the forested hills, red light in the cabin , stonefaced warriors , wuff wuff the maynmar camp raid was sweet could hear all the sound effects due to good sound system... the vertical shot of the spinning rotor as the mi17 scene starts wuff wuff....the use of drone footage to get new pov shots as the men move forward wuff wuff

This film sets a new std for indian war films on all fronts
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Singha wrote:
The two mi17 scudding over the forested hills, red light in the cabin , stonefaced warriors , wuff wuff the maynmar camp raid was sweet could hear all the sound effects due to good sound system...
Did IA actually use helicopters to deploy soldiers for Mynamar raid? Helos can be heard a mile or more away in the silence of night. I would not have expected helos to be used.
I also read somewhere, the SF guys trekked a good day plus to get to the spot ( trekked all night long with no sleep). If anything the helos might have dropped them many miles inside India's border; otherwise the surprise would have evaporated.

And surprise was the sole critical factor here. There was a second Burma operation executed at the same time (not sure where I read this) but the camp was somehow spooked ahead of time and by the time the SF guys got there, it was deserted. (could have been in the Aroor/Rahul Singh's book last year: India's most fearless).
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

See surgical strike myanmar on natgeo/disc
https://youtu.be/Lo97uKSEn60

One on real uri op
https://youtu.be/rXu4loJiEgE

A film will take liberties. Its not intended as a documentary unlike the natgeo/disc version
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

The documentaries take some leeway as well, I'm sure.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Yes to hide units, methods and plans
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Tonbo's products portfolio has been steadily growing both in offerings & capabilities. Really amazing. Good for them...
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

If you guys didn’t notice- both the Gen Panang raids happened during NDA regime of ABV, an important fact that he conveniently forgets to mention or emphasize.

Obviously there is nothing he can find to write during UPA/Congress rule from his long career in military.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Guys, I watched a movie have a doubt, do night vision goggles emit such bright green light ? The light can be easily spotted at night.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Zero dark 30 popularized the 4 tube kit
Before that almost nobody knew of it

But i wonder about the weight..,

The nvg green i believe was emphasized in the film
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Older NVGs have very limited FOV and is a pain to pan an area quickly with rapid head movements. Disorienting and is like peeping through a cardboard tube with 20 kg weights hanging off it. Sluggish, even with later stereo ones. For sniping kind of of limited FOV situation, where no large area panning happens, this limitation did not cause huge issues. But for QRT, where one need to rapidly scan an area, in a twitchy fashion, it was a pain and can cause panic.

Until this four tube thingy. This one splices together the image from all four tubes into that wraparound eyepiece. Rapid splicing wont have been possible without the latest speeds and memory capacity in computing.

So it is a bonafide advancement. Next stop will be 8 tube ones, where one can do a 360 degree pan behind also, a la F35's vaunted DAS :D
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Saw the movie with the whole family on Republic day!! Surprisijg bit was that Mum, who hates war and action flicks, wanted to watch it. Both SHQ and mum were in tears when the little girl shouted out the war cry! Another surprise was that both of them espoused interest to understand why the bodies of the terrorist burner and not left as is.

The "72 hoors" scene was missed a lot by self and my brother. The scene of shooting from under the pool was also missing.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Singha wrote:Zero dark 30 popularized the 4 tube kit
Before that almost nobody knew of it

But i wonder about the weight..,

The nvg green i believe was emphasized in the film

Tonbo Kit is 800gms which is exactly sthe same as the 27 oz ANVIS product. - Reason why the lighter FAST/Bump helmets are prefered with the optics.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

3. Jingo would have felt more happy if Instead of techie kid's Garud more use of ISRO resources and was shown.

If we look at nitty gritties there are several things which are unrealistic or inaccurate.

1. High level assets in Pakistan being directly handled by NSA instead of senior RAW officer.
2. PM giving orders about transferring an IA officer to desk job in Delhi.
3. NSA involved in making field decisions while actual op is underway.
4. The whole Garud drone thing. Not having technology like that and going in anyway would have underscored the bravery of our men even more. (especially since that is the truth)
5. The way the planning for the operation is shown. Gen. Hasnain delves into this in his article.
6. Chin mounted gun on Mi-17?
7. Paki helo pilot not flying around to the other side of the boulders they were taking cover behind to give the gunner a better shot.
8. In a real world scenario both the hand-to-hand fights (one in Mynamar raid and the last one to take out Idris) would not have happened. The team leader would not have gone looking for Idris alone (since others were already taken care of) and would not have left this primary weapon behind. This is especially true since time was of the essence. Even in the Myanmar fight, his gun was laying next to him when he was on the ground. No reason not to use it. Having said that of course it is much more satisfying to the viewer when the pigs get hallaled in a very personal way.

None of this detracts from the quality of the film and the acting of course. It is extremely well made. The best war film to come out of Bollywood. The issues I mentioned above are mostly creative liberties that all filmmakers take, (even in TFTA Hollywood) to make it more engaging to the audience. The URI attack itself was very well shown I thought. Both the director and all the main and supporting actors have done a wonderful job.

My hope is that since huge numbers of people are watching this film, they will think about what our men and our nation face in terms of a threat from Pakistan and their underhanded tactics. The next time they hear some bleeding heart liberal talking about "people to people contact" and friendship with pakistan etc., we can collectively tell them to go eff themselves.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

For many coddled vaguely sickular indian women this is their first raw full frontal look at “creatures beyond the barbed wire” and the sufferings of martyr families

My wife sure woke up and looked up who nsa and parrikar ji were in real life.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Karthik S wrote:Guys, I watched a movie have a doubt, do night vision goggles emit such bright green light ? The light can be easily spotted at night.
No! The person seeing through them sees in green light.
MurthyB
BRFite
Location: "Visa Officer", Indian Consulate #13,451, Khost Province, Afghanistan

Post by MurthyB »

Finally saw Uri last night here in SFO Bay area. Josh level was high and a cry of BMKJ went out at the end in the theatre.

Regarding 'Garud'; wonder if this was the inspiration behind it:

Allahabad boys' 'Garuda' takes off with elan
Led by final year student of BTech, mechanical, Aswani Singh the team's multi-utility UAV is part of its final year project.

The UAV made by us is inspired from mythological bird 'Garud ..
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Katare wrote:
Karthik S wrote:Guys, I watched a movie have a doubt, do night vision goggles emit such bright green light ? The light can be easily spotted at night.
No! The person seeing through them sees in green light.
NVGs generally have a cover over eyes to provide comfort to the wearer and stop the bleeding of light from the display. The cups sit tightly over the eyes.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

Finally! Going to see the movie today after multiple postponements.
The movie is still running to packed houses in the SFO Bay Area - couldn't get tickets during the weekend for any show.

BTW, how come the movie hasn't been made tax free in India?
GOI should do everything in its power to ensure maximum viewership.
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

watched the movie yesterday. Cinemas was packed and literally there were no seats left in the show I went to in Melbourne, Australia. Audience started clapping in the end once the mission was successful. Doesn't happen normally, Jingo khush hua!!
Kritavarman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kritavarman »

Aarvee wrote:watched the movie yesterday. Cinemas was packed and literally there were no seats left in the show I went to in Melbourne, Australia. Audience started clapping in the end once the mission was successful. Doesn't happen normally, Jingo khush hua!!
Watched it in Chennai, Housefull on Sunday morning first show. Standing ovation at the end of movie from audience.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Kritavarman wrote:Watched it in Chennai, Housefull on Sunday morning first show. Standing ovation at the end of movie from audience.
Were audience hindi speaks or locals? Asking to see how much of BIF anti hindi/India propaganda has affected locals.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

I have'nt seen the movie myself yet, but noticed that there is some polite blue-on-blue among ex-IA folk/MOD on twitter w.r.t the movie

Some apprehensions of some SOPs being compromised increasing the risks for future OPs and secondly for it giving too much credit to the current GOI rather than military

Aren't military themed movies cleared by the MOD as well, in addition to the censor board?
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^another thing that will be a spin off of this movie might be to enthuse or made aware the role techis can play for their nation.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^done tax free in UP. The disease of being politically correct has infested us so much that some are afraid to make this movie a tax free.