Military Flight Safety

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
viveks
BRFite

Re: Military Flight Safety

Post by viveks »

Christ! You've flown the aircraft type for over 30 yrs now yet your not good with it. Just give it to the french upgrade... This is an outrage!! No wonder I pulled the plug and said let the french guys make the Rafale. My condolences.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Mirage has a 0/0 ejection seat.. Looks like the issue, whatever it was, did not give the pilots enough time to react and eject.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Losing two pilots like this is devastating. :( My heart goes out to their families and friends. I hope the cause of the crash is found quickly and appropriate measures taken to avoid it in the future.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Absolutely heart breaking news. Cannot imagine what the families must be going through. :( May these young pilots' souls rest in peace.
Nishn
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nishn »

Really hope it's not because of an un-tagged control column/( stick) lock, that missed the check list. It's happened before and it will continue to happen. Imagine trying to stop or lift something in full after-burner thrust and suddenly finding it impossible to rotate the aircraft. HAL airport would have barely 1,000 feet of runway left at decision speed. And by the time a decision is taken to cut off after-burner and de-throttle, its already too much energy to bleed off. Not speculating here, but it's just another possible view point. A look at the control surfaces from the wreckage, would give some early clues. Bless the precious souls and their families. Gut wrenching.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

This is a horrible event. :(
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

We have lost two of our best and brightest.
prashantsharma
BRFite

Post by prashantsharma »

Really? In a FBW aircraft?
Nishn wrote:Really hope it's not because of an un-tagged control column/( stick) lock, that missed the check list. It's happened before and it will continue to happen. Imagine trying to stop or lift something in full after-burner thrust and suddenly finding it impossible to rotate the aircraft. HAL airport would have barely 1,000 feet of runway left at decision speed. And by the time a decision is taken to cut off after-burner and de-throttle, its already too much energy to bleed off. Not speculating here, but it's just another possible view point. A look at the control surfaces from the wreckage, would give some early clues. Bless the precious souls and their families. Gut wrenching.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Why not?
prashantsharma
BRFite

Post by prashantsharma »

To my knowledge in a FBW aircraft like the mirage there is no mechanical linkages between the stick and control rods etc which needs to be locked into place. If there are, please let me know.
The writer also mentions that it has happened before, so would request him to share such cases as I would like to read up on these. I am assuming he is referring to FBW aircraft as that is the relevant class of aircraft for this discussion
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Rajeev Chandrasekhar Verified account @rajeev_mp

More Rajeev Chandrasekhar Retweeted Rajeev Chandrasekhar
My sources say Aircrft was on 2nd acceptnce air test aftr upgrade. One oleo (wheel) came off durng takeoff n it veered off runway. Pilots ejected both parachutes caught fire in the debris of a/c

If families wnt accoutblty frm HAL - wll ensure legal spprt for thm @FlagsOfHonour
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

chetak wrote:
Rajeev Chandrasekhar Verified account @rajeev_mp

More Rajeev Chandrasekhar Retweeted Rajeev Chandrasekhar
My sources say Aircrft was on 2nd acceptnce air test aftr upgrade. One oleo (wheel) came off durng takeoff n it veered off runway. Pilots ejected both parachutes caught fire in the debris of a/c

If families wnt accoutblty frm HAL - wll ensure legal spprt for thm @FlagsOfHonour
I wish the knowledgeable member of Parliament would desist from this. It is not confirmed whether the wheel came off. I've heard tyre burst. There are so many things being said. My humble request, please wait for official release into the findings.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

deejay wrote:
chetak wrote:
I wish the knowledgeable member of Parliament would desist from this. It is not confirmed whether the wheel came off. I've heard tyre burst. There are so many things being said. My humble request, please wait for official release into the findings.
Just saying onlee, but how many official releases of the findings have we seen so far??
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

chetak wrote:
deejay wrote:
Just saying onlee, but how many official releases of the findings have we seen so far??
It is released Sir. Just that I have not tracked public sources. However, at a flight safety symposium, I was informed that all accident findings are tabled in the Parliament for the Defence Committee. Hence, unless classified otherwise, the reports are public. It will take the COI some time.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

There are multiple theories on what happened. As there are multiple accounts, clearly many of them are producing heresay or half baked info. We do not even know what exactly happened, let alone exact cause of the event. Why can't people bloody keep their mouth shut and wait for CoI report..? Whats with the obsessive compulsion of speculations..? This is time to mourn for the lost souls. A time will come to introspect and correct the issues/errors when we know the exact cause, so we avoid such incidences in future. Lets wait for it.

If one wants to analyse for possible cause its fine, but if the intention is to drive your pre-notioned point home then its not welcome here.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

deejay wrote:
chetak wrote:
It is released Sir. Just that I have not tracked public sources. However, at a flight safety symposium, I was informed that all accident findings are tabled in the Parliament for the Defence Committee. Hence, unless classified otherwise, the reports are public. It will take the COI some time.
I don't know where to find COI reports for Mil accidents. But I have seen even research papers by those involved in the detailed technical analysis detailing out deep technical analyses going in the root cause analysis. For ex if some accident was caused by blade out, the studies which try to find root cause are published sometimes in conferences or journals.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

This is from a blog of an ex-naval test pilot Cdr KP Sanjeev Kumar (retd). Read full post at given link. Take it FWIW.
https://kaypius.com/2019/02/02/mirage-2 ... -resource/
What We Know

An Indian Air Force (IAF) Mirage 2000 crashed during takeoff on 1st Feb 2019 at about 1030 AM IST. The aircraft was under acceptance test flight after an upgrade program. Sources indicate that state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) was involved in deliverance of the upgrade. This was the second or third acceptance sortie.

Test pilots manning the ill-fated flight, Sqn Ldr Samir Abrol and Sqn Ldr Siddhartha Negi, both alumni of the 40th Flight Test Course (FTC) from Air Force Test Pilots School, Aircraft & Systems Testing Establishment (ASTE), IAF, Bengaluru perished in the crash. They leave behind families (and testers like me) who are still coming to terms with the terrible tragedy. The IAF and ASTE are doing their best to assist the bereaved while an investigation is underway.

What Sources Reveal

The aircraft was on a test flight in ‘heavy’ configuration with drop tanks. Soon after unstick (high speed, when the aircraft lifts off from the runway), there has been some event which forced the aircraft back onto the runway. There is no such thing as a safe ‘Reject Takeoff’ after unstick. So the TPs must have had to make split-second decisions – something crew of that Mirage were well trained to do. The main landing gear (MLG) reportedly collapsed on impact and the aircraft careened on the runway till it tore through the arrester barrier at other end of the runway.

As per reports, the aircraft skidded on its belly/drop-tanks, maintaining almost centreline alignment till barrier engagement at the opposite dumbell. This is not surprising. Test pilots don’t earn their graduation badges easy. They are top-of-the-game aviators. Samir and Siddharth were just seven months into their TP career. Freshly-minted but with more than adequate experience and apex skills that differentiate boys from men.

What Can be Inferred

News reports and official press releases indicate that both pilots ejected. They seem to have ejected after going through the arrester barrier. That’s a significant detail. Arrester barriers are terrible speed breakers; there for a reason.

At least one of them (Sqn Ldr Siddharth Negi, as per sources) landed on the flaming debris with his parachute. Sqn Ldr Samir Abrol also touched down within the explosion zone of the aircraft that went up in flames. This indicates ejection at slow speed, possibly after barrier engagement when momentum of the ill-fated aircraft was dissipated to a large extent. It is not clear whether any SGA (Soft Ground Arrester) or clearway helped break the aircraft momentum.

Any premature inferences pointing towards “pilots ejected but landed on the flaming debris and died” must be treated with circumspection. Pilots ejecting out of a Mirage 2000 careening at over 200 kmph with a ‘zero-zero’ ejection seat cannot accurately rendezvous the flaming debris unless certain conditions, not in their control, are met. This the Court of Inquiry already underway will hopefully unearth.

As per accepted protocol, any aircraft out of upgrade/modernisation has to be first test flown by OEM/HAL test pilots. Only after they are completely satisfied is the aircraft offered for ASTE acceptance. Standing watch between these processes are many watch dogs who must answer for the crash that claimed national resources (CRE/CRI/RCMA/CEMILAC). There is no room for complacency. Remember, there have been precedences (Saras, ”idly Avro’, IJT, etc.)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

there has been some event which forced the aircraft back onto the runway

Hopefully BB tells us what.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Moments Ago

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

JayS wrote:There are multiple theories on what happened. As there are multiple accounts, clearly many of them are producing heresay or half baked info. We do not even know what exactly happened, let alone exact cause of the event. Why can't people bloody keep their mouth shut and wait for CoI report..? Whats with the obsessive compulsion of speculations..? This is time to mourn for the lost souls. A time will come to introspect and correct the issues/errors when we know the exact cause, so we avoid such incidences in future. Lets wait for it.

If one wants to analyse for possible cause its fine, but if the intention is to drive your pre-notioned point home then its not welcome here.
I do not have pre-notioned points to make in this specific thread.

I hate and dread this thread, it makes my heart sink every time it pops up.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

This is very sad. My condolences to the families of the pilots.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

chetak wrote:
JayS wrote:There are multiple theories on what happened. As there are multiple accounts, clearly many of them are producing heresay or half baked info. We do not even know what exactly happened, let alone exact cause of the event. Why can't people bloody keep their mouth shut and wait for CoI report..? Whats with the obsessive compulsion of speculations..? This is time to mourn for the lost souls. A time will come to introspect and correct the issues/errors when we know the exact cause, so we avoid such incidences in future. Lets wait for it.

I do not have pre-notioned points to make in this specific thread.

I hate and dread this thread, it makes my heart sink every time it pops up.
It was not directed to anyone personally. Not to you for sure. Your posts came while I was writing mine and hence I didnt not see them until submitted my post.

Have seen countless unnecessary and even appaling reactions on SM including one by the MP which is posted above. Some are circulating videos of one of the pilots who burnt to death on the spot. Why do people have to do this...?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

Post by Philip »

Tbe loss of an M2K UPG on its IAF acceptance trials with both piots too is exceptionall tragic.Apart from the irreplacable loss of highly experirnced 2 Sqd.Ldrs.( sincete condolences to the grieving families), it will only open the controversy about HLLAL's ability to deliver and its spat with the IAF over extr costs for labour of an already $50M a pop cost of an upgrade.

This also highlights the vulnerability of SE fighters in comparison to twiin- engined birds.Had this been a 29UPG or MKI the aircraft would've most probably taken off on one engine and made an emerhency landing.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

QUICK-THINKING PILOTS SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES 2 SAVE THOUSANDS: As Mirage 2000 caught fire at #Bengaluru's HAL Airport, pilots aborted take-off n ejected. If plane gained height, crash wud've triggered huge disaster in thickly populated area ahead. #IAF https://t.co/xaIpeHxhLV https://t.co/F1vOjBdnpG
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

Post by Kashi »

Philip wrote:This also highlights the vulnerability of SE fighters in comparison to twiin- engined birds.Had this been a 29UPG or MKI the aircraft would've most probably taken off on one engine and made an emerhency landing.
You have now way of knowing that. We don't even know if this had anything to do with the engine.

Do remember that we had a twin-engined brand new Su 30 MKI crash not too long ago?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

I know perhaps not right time to bring it up, but why do we even have a key military facility in the middle of megapolis? This should be 5000 Mt runway facility way out of city limits with such unfortunate incidents thought about? Ok the aircraft flamed out or whatever, but what if the The Wall was not there? Might the pilots' lives been saved.

Time to shut down this facility and move to Tumkur, Chitradurga or wherever.

May the Souls Attain Sadgati.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Rishi_Tri wrote:I know perhaps not right time to bring it up, but why do we even have a key military facility in the middle of megapolis? This should be 5000 Mt runway facility way out of city limits with such unfortunate incidents thought about? Ok the aircraft flamed out or whatever, but what if the The Wall was not there? Might the pilots' lives been saved.

What do you do if a city grows around the new facility? Do you move again?
When the facility was established the city was small but has grown around it now, have a look at historic pictures of HAL & Bangalore on google earth
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Rishi_Tri wrote:I know perhaps not right time to bring it up, but why do we even have a key military facility in the middle of megapolis? This should be 5000 Mt runway facility way out of city limits with such unfortunate incidents thought about? Ok the aircraft flamed out or whatever, but what if the The Wall was not there? Might the pilots' lives been saved.

The HAL airport was built outside the city. The City has grown around it.

What guarantees that city will not come around the Tumkur or Chitradurga facility?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

You should ask question how and why local govt authorities allow cities to grow around such facilities which started quite far from population centers.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Young Air Force Pilots Sacrificed Their Lives To Save Hundreds From Mirage 2000 Crash On Friday
https://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/y ... 61476.html

The two Indian Air Force (IAF) pilots who died yesterday while taking out the upgraded Mirage 2000 on an acceptance sortie at HAL Airport runway had very little time to chose between their lives and the lives of hundreds of others on the ground. And both Squadron Leader Samir Abrol and Siddhartha Negi did what the soldiers of the Indian armed forces are known to do-to sacrifice themselves for the lives of the people. The duo had microseconds to decide whether to fly an aircraft on fire or eject out. They could have ejected out at a higher altitude but it would have left the aircraft gaining height further and get crashed in area thickly populated area ahead of the runaway. An IAF personnel told this to the Deccan Herald and locals who rushed the spots to save the pilots also attested to this fact that the duo saved many lives by sacrificing their own. The IAF official who was an eye witness to the whole accident saw the aircraft’s tyre wobbling and come off and the metal edge hitting the runway. The seconds before the take-off, the friction due to metal edge colliding to the road produced a spark of fire that soon enveloped the aircraft.

The duo had sensed the trouble and had microseconds to take the call. The duo made one final contact to the Air Traffic Control (ATC) and ejected out, aborting the take-off. They made one final contact with the Air Traffic Control (ATC) and ejected out, aborting take-off. But soon the thick smoke and soaring flames from the ascent and the parachutes were at the fire. Within minutes, the two fell and one of them fell closer to the burning aircraft. Within minutes, they descended, one of them falling extremely close to the burning aircraft. The two died later, succumbing to severe burns. But they saved many lives as just outside the HAL compound as there was a score of thickly populated places including schools. Outside the eastern end of the airport wall, the Kariymmana Agrahara Road was jam-packed with peak hour traffic and it would cause many deaths, had the aircraft crashed there. The thickly populated area of Manjunatha Layout was just 500 metres away with three schools in close proximity. The duo pilots in order to save hundreds of other lives sacrificed their own and no amount of gratitude is enough to pay tribute to their courage.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Jet crash: Pilot duo sacrificed lives to save thousands
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/quick ... 16240.html

Taking out the upgraded Mirage 2000 on an acceptance sortie, Squadron Leaders Samir Abrol and Siddhartha Negi had a life-and-death question on the edge of the HAL Airport runway: In microseconds, they had to decide whether to fly an aircraft on fire or eject out dangerously. If the pilots had opted to take off and eject from a higher altitude, the flight would have gained height and crashed on the thickly populated area just ahead of the runway. An Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel, who preferred anonymity, and the locals who rushed to the spot were clear: The pilots saved a thousand lives.

An eyewitness to the entire episode, the IAF personnel had seen the aircraft’s tyre wobble and come off, its metal edge hitting the runway at high speed. Seconds before take-off, the friction had sparked a fire that quickly engulfed the aircraft. Sensing big trouble, the two pilots had to be quick, real fast. They made one final contact with the Air Traffic Control (ATC) and ejected out, aborting take-off. But as the thick smoke and soaring flames from the aircraft trapped their ascent in chaos, the parachutes caught fire. Within minutes, they descended, one of them falling extremely close to the burning aircraft. The two died later, succumbing to severe burns.

Here’s one reason why the aircraft’s crash inside the airport compound averted a major disaster: just outside the Eastern end of the airport wall, the Kariyammana Agrahara Road leading to a tech park and Yemalur village beyond was packed with peak-hour traffic. So was the Old Airport Road and the crowded Marathahalli area. Barely 500 metres away, along the flight path lay the thickly populated Manjunatha Layout with the Trinity English High School, the Kaveri Gnana Mithra School and the MVJ International School in close proximity. Just ahead was the Outer Ring Road, flanked by thousands of households in Chandra Layout and Rajashree Layout.

Telltale signs of the aborted take-off were everywhere inside the airport’s perimeter boundary. Charred bushes and fire triggered by remnants of the aviation fuel told the story. Hundreds of employees from the nearby tech park who flocked to the crash site had one troubling thought: How big a disaster it would have been if the flight had taken off.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

There are very few air bases in India that are not around major population centres. Jaisalmer AFS in Rajasthan is one and Jamnagar AFS in Gujarat is another that I can think off the top of my head. They are "relatively" sparsely populated compared to other air force bases like Yelahanka AFS in Bangalore or Lohegaon AFS in Pune.

And the points raised by Kakarat, deejay and JayS are valid.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/zone5aviation/statu ... 0247813121 ---> I’ve known Sid Negi for some years now — worked a number of projects, including a book on No.5 Sqn. He was a genuine, thoughtful, and fun-loving guy. When he got thru AFTPS, I knew the IAF would have an outstanding Test Pilot in him. RIP brother, happy riding and blue skies.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Agree with everything you said but we still have Mahajan Ranges, Pokharan Ranges, Sriharikota etc. where population has not been allowed to develop. With more programs coming up - MK2, AMCA, Ghatak - secrecy shall also become factor and HAL airport shall leave every Tech person with good set of binoculars as privy to as much program information as possible.

Anyway, the pilots should have been alive, not part of cosmos. And they were ASTE pilots. Who knows, perhaps even manned the Gaganyaan MIssion. Sigh!!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I feel like crap for keep bringing this thread up to the top. I did not know either of the pilots, never even heard their names...until the day of the crash. But for some reason, I am unable to move on from this tragedy and keep posting new articles or snippets. Forgive me for doing so, if any of you feel I am being insensitive. I post it here, because there is no one else I know personally that I can share this with. This article below is another very heart touching article. Those photographs below remind me of our BRF meets.

In remembrance, Squadron Leader Samir Abrol, Indian Air Force
https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... abrol-iaf/

Squadron Leader Samir Abrol, second from left

India loses more than 1,500 army personnel every year without going to war. Every time there is a report, we read the news in the papers, witness the rage on social media, watch the TV debates that go on for a few days on safety and security and then get on with our lives. Though the death of the two pilots, Squadron Leaders Samir Abrol IAF and Siddharth Negi IAF in yesterday’s Mirage 2000 fighter jet crash in Bengaluru completely shook up. Both the Air Force pilots were flying a test sortie on a recently upgraded Mirage-2000 trainer aircraft when it crashed. The aircraft was on a customer acceptance sortie after being upgraded by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. While they managed to eject, but their parachutes caught fire and they landed in the debris. One of them succumbed to the injuries on the spot, and the other pilot breathed his last in the hospital.

Samir was an active member of the frequent-flyer community as well, although he had his style of getting on a plane. We had the honour of meeting him and sharing a drink with him at the Points and Points meet up in Bangalore. Squadron Leader Samir Abrol was from the Aircraft & Systems Testing Establishment (ASTE) of the Air Force. Samir was a long time active member of the LFAL community. He also happened to be the first defence personnel we had met who was entrenched into collecting points and miles, something I always thought people in flying careers never needed to do. Fondly known as Sam, he would frequently comment and share his wisdom with the rest of us as well.

After chatting with him, we learnt about all the travels he was planning with his wife. He had a clear strategy to collect miles and use them, and there was so much to learn from him. He was fond of Air India a lot and was a regular user of the Air India SBI Credit Card. He was one of the youngest members of the armed forces we had both come across in our daily lives, and he was as passionate about his profession as much as he was about his hobbies and passions. We mourn the loss of a fantastic member of our tribe. May your soul rest in peace, Samir. It was an honour to meet you, and thank you for everything you have done over the years to make sure we slept in peace. Shine on you crazy diamond. We salute your spirit and grieve your loss. Our thoughts are with the families of both the pilots.

Squadron Leader Samir Abrol, third from left

Nishn
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nishn »

Considering all external variables....(heavy jet, drop tanks, Max. MTOW or thereabouts, have done a couple of prior flights before this one) it's beginning to look like a control column/stick jam effecting control surfaces at V - R/2 speed or the other being COG travelling outside the tolerance box at a critical pitch angle. Bless them. Feels like a loss among family circles.
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

Sometimes I think they should not have done that. The city municipal corporation doesn’t care 2 hoots about who lives and dies and grants permission to builders to build dwellings around sensitive areas. All they care about is their pockets getting more and more rosy.

The way general population thinks now is what is it for me? They should have climbed up and got out when it was safe FOR THEM.

Is their life not important to them? They should have let the others handle it....after all were they not doing something important? If it was not then they should not have been in the aircraft.

I am from Vadodara and they are building a massive mall just in front of a tiny road. When the mall opens up no one has even thought about how it will be to drive in that area in peak hours. And considering the number of vehicles that pass by in that road it will be a total nightmare.

Chor hain yeh sabh sala.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

viveks wrote:Sometimes I think they should not have done that. The city municipal corporation doesn’t care 2 hoots about who lives and dies and grants permission to builders to build dwellings around sensitive areas. All they care about is their pockets getting more and more rosy.

The way general population thinks now is what is it for me? They should have climbed up and got out when it was safe FOR THEM.

Is their life not important to them? They should have let the others handle it....after all were they not doing something important? If it was not then they should not have been in the aircraft.

I am from Vadodara and they are building a massive mall just in front of a tiny road. When the mall opens up no one has even thought about how it will be to drive in that area in peak hours. And considering the number of vehicles that pass by in that road it will be a total nightmare.

Chor hain yeh sabh sala.
That sir separates to a large part the men and women of the armed forces. Not doing your duty is a question of the paltans Izzat and perhaps the IAF pilots have the same consideration of the squadrons honour.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Evidence suggests wheels gave way; blackbox retrieved
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/evide ... 16399.html