Small Arms Thread

ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Re: Small Arms Thread

Post by ks_sachin »

Sourav --

94 + 350 means for me that it is not actually a carbine but an assault rifle..

Carbines in this day and age are a useless designtion especially for non-special forces.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Yep.. anything upwards of 14" barrel would be an assault rifle.
Carbines fulfill a very niche role which IMO reg inf is not the candidate for.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Sourav ji, Khan Chacha buys M4 carbines for $800. Current contracts are with Fn and Remington IIRC.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Thakur_B wrote:Sourav ji, Khan Chacha buys M4 carbines for $800. Current contracts are with Fn and Remington IIRC.
FN it is Thakurji.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Thakur_B wrote:Sourav ji, Khan Chacha buys M4 carbines for $800. Current contracts are with Fn and Remington IIRC.
Thakur sahab, no.. the contract is for arming a battalion of marines for a trial run with H&K416 as Infantry Assault Rifle or IAR as colloquially known.
There is a strong opinion in USMC for 416 as IAR instead of M4 and hence the contract as trial run.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

souravB wrote:
Thakur sahab, no.. the contract is for arming a battalion of marines for a trial run with H&K416 as Infantry Assault Rifle or IAR as colloquially known.
There is a strong opinion in USMC for 416 as IAR instead of M4 and hence the contract as trial run.
Sourav enen the current M4 is manu by FN. Colt lost the contract.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

ks_sachin wrote: Sourav enen the current M4 is manu by FN. Colt lost the contract.
Sir, yes FN is the primary contractor of M4A1 now. Some smaller boutique OEMs like Knights Armory also manufactures from time to time when the volume needs to be ramped up.
My point was USMC is moving out from M4A1 and moving towards 416s which costs around $1.5K/piece when manufactured in US. US Army is also testing a new platform based on 6.8 SPCII cartridge. All in all, DI system will give way to SS piston and subsequently rifles would be costlier. One only get its money's worth.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

souravB wrote:
ks_sachin wrote: Sourav enen the current M4 is manu by FN. Colt lost the contract.
Sir, yes FN is the primary contractor of M4A1 now. Some smaller boutique OEMs like Knights Armory also manufactures from time to time when the volume needs to be ramped up.
My point was USMC is moving out from M4A1 and moving towards 416s which costs around $1.5K/piece when manufactured in US. US Army is also testing a new platform based on 6.8 SPCII cartridge. All in all, DI system will give way to SS piston and subsequently rifles would be costlier. One only get its money's worth.
DI is not bad. SS is not bad.
It seems DI gets an unnecessary bad wrap
johb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by johb »

Does anyone know what rifle IA is buying?

http://toi.in/h0FDWY/a28fj
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

johb wrote:Does anyone know what rifle IA is buying?

Reports mention Sig712 G2.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

SiG USA 716 under emergency procurement.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Thakur_B wrote:Deep upgrade kits for AKM from Bangalore based company Stumpp, Scheule and Somappa for Para SF. Handguard, dust cover, flash hider and buttstock replaced. Fixed sights replaced with pop up sights as well.

Stumpp, Scheule and Somappa have also upgraded Dragunov SVD.

souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Sig 716 Gen2 Patrol. We are buying a version of this rifle.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Thakur_B wrote:
emergency procurement = bad planning
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Reminded of the old saying
Lack of planning on your side is not an emergency on my side

But here I feel, the time to taken to push a planned change they are using emergency to bypass ineffective process.
brvarsh
BRFite

Post by brvarsh »

Khalsa wrote:Reminded of the old saying

But here I feel, the time to taken to push a planned change they are using emergency to bypass ineffective process.
Yes I was thinking along the same line. Its a procurement worth having that could have taken eons and unnecessary prying eyes to dislodge. Its a good way to "not plan" and in emergency choose the one you always wanted.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

souravB wrote:Sig 716 Gen2 Patrol. We are buying a version of this rifle.
Do we get optics along with Rifle ? included in deal.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ashishvikas wrote:
souravB wrote:Sig 716 Gen2 Patrol. We are buying a version of this rifle.
Do we get optics along with Rifle ? included in deal.
No
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

brvarsh wrote:
Khalsa wrote:Reminded of the old saying

Yes I was thinking along the same line. Its a procurement worth having that could have taken eons and unnecessary prying eyes to dislodge. Its a good way to "not plan" and in emergency choose the one you always wanted.
Was Sig 7.62 the one we always wanted?
I do tend to agree with emergency ....process...
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Thakur_B wrote:

Why, don't understand this purchase. Were we not building the SLR in India. Why could it not be bought with minor updates?
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

The same youtube channel above has done a video on caracal and is all praises about it. What do the jingos think?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

It doesn't matter what members think about this fire arm.

I want H&K G11 rifle for general infantry.F N P 90 for special forces and HK pdw for vehicle crews. For LMG application I want one of the new case telescopic machine gun.

I feel like this is a nice fit for the Indian army. In terms of having cutting edge technology firearms. Never mind the logistical nightmare this will bring :mrgreen:

For other mundane applications the AK and INSAS and SLR will do the job.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Nah..we should get the felchette gun. That will be one ammo the OFB should be able to do well.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

ks_sachin wrote:Nah..we should get the felchette gun. That will be one ammo the OFB should be able to do well.

I had forgotten about that fire arm. The worst part is that I saw a program on such weapon only last evening

https://youtu.be/21qZpSJp5W0
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Pratyush since you have touched upon my favourite of all time in the FNFAL do revisit SouravB and my posts in this thread.
Also do visit DSA Arms and see what is possible with the FN.

I believe our stock of cold storage FNs could have been shortened and furniture modernised and used as we perhaps should be using the Sig - as a DMR or battle rifle.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is this SIG and Caracal two vendors of the same 7.62 or there are significant diffs?
all of it seems to belong to AR15 lineage?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Sig is 7.62 Nato US manufacturer
Caracal is 5.56 NATOUAE manufacturer
They share AR15 lineage.
Caracal was designed by the two who designed the HK416 and Sig 716.
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

Got a very interesting link. It describes the GSQR trials for PAK Army assault rifles. Description is from a American who took part in this process and i suspect he is from SIG.
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/07/16/ge ... ult-rifle/

Summary --
None of the American weapons passed the HOT and COLD trials
American weapons flunked in Sand and Mud Test
FN SCAR was selected but zero was ordered; Considering it is expensive.
Towards Author makes it a point to comment that althrough AR 10 platforms scores high on accuracy but it ranks low on reliability.
He also begins wondering as to what are the parameters that US army puts out when they tests these platforms

I wonder how did SIG platforms pass our own tests if it couldnt meet some of these criteria !!
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

naird wrote:Got a very interesting link. It describes the GSQR trials for PAK Army assault rifles. Description is from a American who took part in this process and i suspect he is from SIG.

Summary --
None of the American weapons passed the HOT and COLD trials
American weapons flunked in Sand and Mud Test
FN SCAR was selected but zero was ordered; Considering it is expensive.
Towards Author makes it a point to comment that althrough AR 10 platforms scores high on accuracy but it ranks low on reliability.
He also begins wondering as to what are the parameters that US army puts out when they tests these platforms

I wonder how did SIG platforms pass our own tests if it couldnt meet some of these criteria !!
All that was mentioned in the media of trials in this "emergency" purchase was a team going to various factories and trying weapons out. I am not sure if these guns underwent the rigorous trials involved in the previous rfp where just about every gun is said to have failed. The SIG 716 appears to be more of a law enforcement weapon than a proper battle riffle. I fear our troops may be asking for the trusty old insas once these fancy phoren guns see the real battle conditions. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

i have realized in our chaotic context, with no funding clarity, shifting political regimes, sneaky agents all over....there will never be a platinum bullet "fleet wide" deal on shoes or undies, let alone MRCA or rifles. so its a good move to give the theater commanders financial signoff to buy/make/adapt whatever they need and get functional stuff into the hands of the infantry. so long as they fire 5.56 and 7.62 it should mostly be ok to have a zoo of weapons than 1 standard rifle for the whole fauj.

i vote the zonal commanders spending limits be even more increased. we need to adopt the decentralized model of the american revolutionary war where each general/patron/leader equipped his own formations with whatever tech and means they had, down to uniforms and battle flags.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Anyone know what happened to the JVPC trials by CRPF ?
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

Got a very interesting link. It describes the GSQR trials for PAK Army assault rifles. Description is from a American who took part in this process and i suspect he is from SIG.
mango question, why are we pursuing screwdrivergiri of ak103 when napak has already brought it? No need for technical superiority?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Pray tell what do you mean by technical superiority in small arms?
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

gaurav.p wrote: mango question, why are we pursuing screwdrivergiri of ak103 when napak has already brought it? No need for technical superiority?
Small arms ? What technical superiority ? Screwdrivergiri is a different question altogether
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

ks_sachin wrote:Pratyush since you have touched upon my favourite of all time in the FNFAL do revisit SouravB and my posts in this thread.
Also do visit DSA Arms and see what is possible with the FN.

I believe our stock of cold storage FNs could have been shortened and furniture modernised and used as we perhaps should be using the Sig - as a DMR or battle rifle.
I know man, that's why I am even more puzzled by this purchase.
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

naird,ks_sachin wrote:
Small arms ? What technical superiority ? Screwdrivergiri is a different question altogether
India buying the 103 will lead to a situation of two enemies fighting with the same weapon and the exporter mints all the money. Net we are not gaining anything out it. If India is importing some gun, then get a more competent version than the enemy (to keep the chain of imports continuing and keep the enemy in a state of unease). India being economically superior, to buy the same ak103 is a point of equivalence. The key is to de-hyphenate.

I guess the gun trials are done to find the technically superior gun, right?
Just like the INSAS are being partially replaced by more superior/competent Sigs.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

gaurav.p wrote:
naird,ks_sachin wrote:
India buying the 103 will lead to a situation of two enemies fighting with the same weapon and the exporter mints all the money. Net we are not gaining anything out it. If India is importing some gun, then get a more competent version than the enemy (to keep the chain of imports continuing and keep the enemy in a state of unease). India being economically superior, to buy the same ak103 is a point of equivalence. The key is to de-hyphenate.

I guess the gun trials are done to find the technically superior gun, right?
Just like the INSAS are being partially replaced by more superior/competent Sigs.
I am sorry but I don't understand this post. What is equivalence and de-hyphenate when you want the best small arm for the men and women.
There is nothing technologically superior to an AK if reliability and ease of maintenance is required.
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

ks_sachin wrote: I am sorry but I don't understand this post. What is equivalence and de-hyphenate when you want the best small arm for the men and women.
There is nothing technologically superior to an AK if reliability and ease of maintenance is required.
Saar, forgive this mango for poor writing skills. :mrgreen:

Equivalence = both enemies same weapons. Nothing differentiates.

hypenate = in foreign policy, India often finds itself linked to Pak just like Israel is linked to Palestine. With India buying ak103 it would be said 'India buys same weapon as pak'.

Yes AK is best bang for the buck. Going for the same weapon as the adversary sounds weird but as you said there is nothing better to get.
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Prasad wrote:Anyone know what happened to the JVPC trials by CRPF ?
They were taking deliveries starting September 2017.
https://twitter.com/crpfindia/status/905796340046643200
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Bharadwaj wrote: All that was mentioned in the media of trials in this "emergency" purchase was a team going to various factories and trying weapons out. I am not sure if these guns underwent the rigorous trials involved in the previous rfp where just about every gun is said to have failed. The SIG 716 appears to be more of a law enforcement weapon than a proper battle riffle. I fear our troops may be asking for the trusty old insas once these fancy phoren guns see the real battle conditions. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
No AR-15 based rifle would pass IA's testing fairly. I do not think even AKs would pass every criteria. It doesn't mean the platforms are bad.
Also the rifles that we see on videos are civilian versions. MilSpec is a catchphrase that is used to entice buyers. Also these rifles use components that are tuned for accuracy and ease of use rather than ruggedness. Actual Military rifles have different components ranging from material to finishing.
Pratyush wrote:
ks_sachin wrote:
I know man, that's why I am even more puzzled by this purchase.
I would like to see a FAL with newer light weight all alloy construction, NOx treated 17" barrel, all the usual modern furnitures and chambered in 6.8SPCII