Military Flight Safety

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Military Flight Safety

Post by Rakesh »

Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Rest in eternal peace bravehearts! Thank you for saving 100s of lives by your sacrifice! Our loss is immeasurable and the pain unbearable! God give your families the strength to bear the tragic parting.

It is amazing how small these two men make people like me look!
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

SQ Leader Siddharth charred body on fire is on Twitter now. WTF
It sickens me, the respect afforded to someone dying a natural death was so high that this video posting nonsense in today's age sickens me to the end.

I have reported it and if you see evidence of it. Please report it as gross and in voilation of anything..

Ffs
Honestly days like this
I feel like it's going the way of dogs

So much more sad today so much more sad today
I hope to God their family does not pick this up on Twitter
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Khalsa wrote:SQ Leader Siddharth charred body on fire is on Twitter now. WTF
It sickens me, the respect afforded to someone dying a natural death was so high that this video posting nonsense in today's age sickens me to the end.

I have reported it and if you see evidence of it. Please report it as gross and in voilation of anything..

Ffs
Honestly days like this
I feel like it's going the way of dogs

So much more sad today so much more sad today
I hope to God their family does not pick this up on Twitter
Haven't seen it. Won't see it. Only video that I saw was of every Tom, Dick and Harry rushing with smartphones to capture something. How did people literally walk in from all directions? Time to shut down this airport and move to proper test, military facility. Shall be tweeting to DM, PM about this.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

^ people have frickin lost their minds.

On another note do we use anything like this to deal with bird strikes on airports? Very interesting idea...

AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

based on 2 videos on twitter, one from Suman Sharma, it is clear that many shabbily dressed civilians had access to the crash site and were helping in carrying the body.
one woman in a lab coat was pumping the chest and then others carried the body by picking from the limbs - They couldnt get a stretcher in time!
If the crash site was within/near the airport, how can they not get the emergency vehicles and basic equipment there, but locals could get there in time.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Indian Army Rudra armed chopper makes emergency landing near Bengaluru, reports @NewsNationTV.

https://t.co/oRsYtt2OA8
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Video of the flight and crash. Extreme maneuvers to wring out aircraft or loss of control? It made a rapid descent down to the runway on a very low pass and then clipped the ground with its tail and nozzles before going up again and finally losing control and crashing.

I feel it is too early to blame HAL.

(I hope it is okay to post. It does not include any graphic scenes of the pilots post crash.)

fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I seriously doubt it is video of this crash. It is very different from what happened from reports.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

It’s a fairly clean plane, not heavily loaded, most likely single seat, did not go through any barrier. Not this accident
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Indeed does not look like what has been described in Bangalore crash so far , The area does not look like Bangalore either.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

That is not Bangalore. Looks like a very old video taken on video tape.

Original here

chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Dileep wrote:That is not Bangalore. Looks like a very old video taken on video tape.

Original here
You are right, Dileep ji! I did not do any research besides reading the caption of Feb 1st Bangalore. Never trust, always verify on web.

My apologies, everyone.
Prithwiraj
BRFite

Post by Prithwiraj »

chola wrote:
Dileep wrote:That is not Bangalore. Looks like a very old video taken on video tape.

Original here
You are right, Dileep ji! I did not do any research besides reading the caption of Feb 1st Bangalore. Never trust, always verify on web.

My apologies, everyone.
This video is up on youtube for ages !! I think it happened somewhere either Maldives or Mauritius during an airshow. People these days upload random fake videos and tag them to get higher views.

However I vaguely remember one IAF Mirage Crashing during Airshow in one of those island nations if my memory serves me right. So we have a DB of all crashes of IAF Mirage 2000?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Prithwiraj wrote:
chola wrote:

My apologies, everyone.
This video is up on youtube for ages !! I think it happened somewhere either Maldives or Mauritius during an airshow. People these days upload random fake videos and tag them to get higher views.

However I vaguely remember one IAF Mirage Crashing during Airshow in one of those island nations if my memory serves me right. So we have a DB of all crashes of IAF Mirage 2000?
This video is not one of the IAF belly landing in Mauritius Air show back in 2004. That was not a crash, it was belly landing and the aircraft returned to service after repair. But here is an interesting thing I saw about this, while the news reports said the belly landing was because the pilot didn't lower the LG (I don't know if that was a human error or he tried but LG got stuck, the reports I saw wont get into details), there was a crash just 10 days before this belly landing, in Gwalior, where one M2K was lost because it lost its LG midair (pilot had to bail out I suppose)...!!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

This is the Mauritius video of the IAF Mirage 2000 crash. The above video of the Mirage 2000 crash is not an Indian Air Force M2K.

JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

I have been looking for IAF safety data. I dont see anything on IAF's site. In couple of old articles from 2005-2008 or so I see IAF officers mentioning crash rate reduecd from 0.68 to 0.38 or target crash rate is 0.2 and so on. Does anyone know what this number 0.2 is..? USAF uses rate per 100000 flying hour. But with the same matrix these numbers dont make sense to me. They are too low.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Jagan has done an excellent job of compiling IAF accident data. But it is not 100% complete. Next to impossible to capture all accident data.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/Accidents/
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SaiK wrote:Indian Army Rudra armed chopper makes emergency landing near Bengaluru, reports @NewsNationTV.

https://t.co/oRsYtt2OA8
https://twitter.com/rahulsinghx/status/ ... 5528225792 ----> Army's HAL-built ALH Rudra Mk IV chopper makes emergency landing outside Bengaluru due to possible hydraulic failure. Hearing it was on an acceptance sortie like the Mirage 2000 that crashed on Feb 1.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Defence PSUs are taking a massive hit both on SM as well as DDM.

In some angrezi channels both naming and shaming is going on, INSAS has also come up.

while some small part of the criticism may be somewhat justified, most of it is unfair and unwarranted.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Social Media can be a bane in situations like this. Reading single line blurbs from every person that feels they need to have an opinion further clouds clear thought and patience to actually delve into details. Unfortunately the common public is easily swayed by this type of reporting. And then you have the people who feel the need to record every tragedy to get some hits on a channel. Where are we headed?
Damn I feel old...
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Rakesh wrote:Jagan has done an excellent job of compiling IAF accident data. But it is not 100% complete. Next to impossible to capture all accident data.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/Accidents/
Rakesh, Thanks. I know this database. I posted link to this couple of pages back myself in reply to IR's post. Unparalleled work. I don't think anyone but IAF has any better database than this. Sadly IAF doesn't publish any data on safety numbers. It looks like COI reports are classified except in some exceptional cases. Problem with just number of crashes is its not normalized with number of flight hours. That's the data I am looking for. Otherwise its difficult to compare with say USAF data for comparison.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

chetak wrote:Defence PSUs are taking a massive hit both on SM as well as DDM.

In some angrezi channels both naming and shaming is going on, INSAS has also come up.

while some small part of the criticism may be somewhat justified, most of it is unfair and unwarranted.
This seems to be a coordinated campaign. The last time I observed something similar was in the immediate aftermath of Uri attack and before the surgical strike.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Or just opportunistic mudslinging on a coincidence.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1093072762086871040 ---> Indian Air Force to send crashed Mirage 2000 black box to France to know the exact details of the mishap. Two IAF pilots including Squadron Leaders Siddhartha Negi and Samir Abrol lost their lives in the Mirage 2000 aircraft crash at the HAL Airport in Bengaluru on February 1.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

VIDEO

From the twitter account of Colonel Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (Retd), Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Ministry of Information and Broadcasting ---> https://twitter.com/Ra_THORe/status/1093174007870955521

In Squadron Leaders Samir Abrol and Siddharth Negi,we have lost two heroes.

Every soldier is prepared to lay down his life for us every day.

They deserve not only our eternal respect, but the best equipment.

Let's rise above political differences to ensure that they get the best of the best.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

This is what happened in the seconds before the Mirage 2000 crashed
https://theprint.in/defence/blow-by-blo ... ru/189899/
Footage from Mirage 2000 crash hints at a possible mechanical issue. IAF studying video obtained from Air Traffic Control in Bengaluru.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Rakesh wrote:This is what happened in the seconds before the Mirage 2000 crashed
https://theprint.in/defence/blow-by-blo ... ru/189899/
From it -
Sources said that as a result of the impact, the main undercarriage collapsed and sheared off due to the force of the crash-landing.

By then, the braking tail-chute, located on the underside of the tail, is also damaged but the aircraft continues to move forward on its two-wing drop tank and nose wheel.
Sir, what is the usual position of the drag chute in fighters, especially those with a single tail fin?

In the F-35 it is in a pod on the centreline on the top side, the position aided partly due to the twin tail fins. In the F-16 a plane similar to the mirage, it is above the exhaust nozzle.
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

^^^
Normally the braking chute is housed below the rudder at the base of the fin or on the tail above the exhaust cone.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Thank you, Abhibhushan Sir.

In the Mirage 2000 it is under the nozzle?

A hard landing, with catastropic landing gear failure, leading to a belly landing, has a higher chance of damage to the drag chute assembly.

Is my understanding correct
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Manish_P wrote:In the Mirage 2000 it is under the nozzle
This to me is a serious design deficiency on part of Dassault - in case of undercarriage failure to deploy, one doesnt have brakes when one needs it most.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

even a tail strike due to a high AoA landing caused by some gust of wind could damage that area. first time I am seeing a design with it below the nozzle.

wheels catching any debris like metal or rubber on runway would damage that region as well - a metal panel fallen off a DC9, caused catatrophic damage to the air france concorde that crashed in paris.
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

IAF MiG-27 jet crashes around 18.10 near Pokhran. Pilot ejects safely. Had taken off from Jaisalmer. (File pic
https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1095318415726833664
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Another rust bucket crashed the pilot is safe thank god
Prithwiraj
BRFite

Post by Prithwiraj »

Jesus
this is a brutal 30 days...
depressing to hear these news ... even though pilot is safe --- ejection takes a lot of toll on your body which affects both personal and professional life
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Thankfully, the pilot is safe. Wishing him a full and fast recovery.

Really hate seeing this thread on top... :(
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Supposedly this is the MiG-27 that crashed ---> Serial # TU 657.

Added Later: Sorry, this serial number crashed on 13 June 2016.

IAF bids adieu to MiG-27 ML 'Bahadur': This formidable fighter had some 'crash' issues
https://www.oneindia.com/india/iaf-bids ... 11156.html
On June 13, 2016, a MiG-27 (TU 657) on a training mission crashed in a residential area near Jodhpur Airforce Base in Rajasthan damaging two houses and injuring three civilians while the pilots ejected safely. The aircraft appears to be an Indian upgraded variant of MiG-27.l

Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Pilot safe. That's good.

No casualties on ground also hopefully..
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

https://twitter.com/zone5aviation/statu ... 13856?s=19

AeroIndia: Two Suryakirans collided mid air.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

https://www.news18.com/news/india/iafs- ... 41065.html
NEWS18 » INDIA
2 IAF Surya Kiran Hawks Crash During Rehearsals For Aero India Expo in Bengaluru
ccording to initial reports, two pilots managed to eject from the planes, but it is still unclear how many were on board