Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 15 Dec 2016

Post by Rakesh »

Kartik, if Indranil's picture posted in the previous page are the MiG-29s in question....these air frames have ZERO hours.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

SBajwa wrote:
Austin wrote:CAG finds flaws in acquisition of Apache, Chinook helicopters
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 975564.cms
CAG is 100% congress mole!

They had 60 years to rig the entire system and ensure allegiance - that's going to take more than 5 years to course correct. When your educational institutions are rigged, then the babus graduating from them are going to be rigged for 40 - 50 years of service. We need 15-20 years of non-congis to stand a chance of fixing the issue. 5 down, 15 more to go.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Rakesh wrote:Kartik, if Indranil's picture posted in the previous page are the MiG-29s in question....these air frames have ZERO hours.
I thought the airframes in question were used?
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Philip wrote:Finally commonsense is prevailing in the minds of the IAF and MOD.We've been saying the same for aeons, " buy more of the same", in service esp. MIG-29s.At around $40 M for a UPG it's a reasonable price.2 yrs. ago Egypt got them at $30M a pop, probably to a lower std.
The IAF should buy more 29s.A total of around 120 combined, existing UPGs and new ones will give the IAF at least 6 sqds.

Stoli and caviar tonight!
Egypt bought 46 Mig-29m for 2 billion if you adj for infation it's around 50 mill each. Only around dozen delivered already 1 crashed.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Raveen wrote:
Rakesh wrote:Kartik, if Indranil's picture posted in the previous page are the MiG-29s in question....these air frames have ZERO hours.
I thought the airframes in question were used?
That is what I thought as well. But then there is this picture below. Either they were used very little and then stripped down to just the basic air frame, which makes no sense whatsoever. Or construction of these 21 birds were stopped after the basic air frame was completed and left in storage for the past 30+ years.
Indranil wrote:This a picture of the frames being talked about from a year back. Courtesy Livefist.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Indranil wrote:This is a great deal. Mig-29 UPG are great aircrafts. By the way, CAG report says that Mig-35 completed all ASQR for MMRCA. Mig-29 UPg is not too far behind. Even if costs escallate to $50 million a plane. That is 2 Mig-29s for the price of one Rafale. If you include armaments, it is close to 4 Migs per Rafale. That's a HUGE difference. 21 Mig-29 UPGs are MUCH MUCH more capable and flexible than 5 Rafales.

This a picture of the frames being talked about from a year back. Courtesy Livefist.

Which CAG report? Would love to read that !

And yes, the MiG-29UPG is a great aircraft..it basically retains the famed maneuverability of the MiG-29 but addresses its 2 big drawbacks which were the poor fuel fraction which led to poor range and endurance and the poor MMI. Plus the Zhuk-ME which is quite a decent radar, new IRST, modern EW suite and the ability to carry modern weapons including air to ground weapons.

Should be easy enough to absorb, since it will utilize BRD resources for the upgrade, and not HAL, which is already loaded fully. Plus it utilises the experience and infrastructure already existing, including spares depots and simulators..and since its an existing type, no big strain on the training since the IAF can leverage its existing pool of pilots and maintainers. And as someone pointed out earlier, if this helps replace even 1 squadron of MiG-21s or MiG-27s, it is well worth it.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Kartik wrote:Which CAG report? Would love to read that!
Just a one line blurb....
Kakarat wrote:This is about CAG findings from MRCA Episode I

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1095648013844992002
Hey, @UAC_Russia, thought you might like the footnote on page 111 of the #RafaleCAGReport
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

You guys do realize the ASQR were often a replica of the Mirage 2000-V specs and hence set the bar very low for 4.5 Gen aircraft which were meant to be half a generation ahead of the Mirage 2000 V!

Many such instances, including the radar capability for instance.

The Zhuk AE prototype on the MiG-35 met ASQR but question is what was the performance of the ECR-90 on the EF and the RBE-2 AESA on the Rafale vs the MiG-35s radar, even though all EF radar was not an AESA and the Zhuk-AE, "met ASQR" in some respects.

Lets just say that while the internet was going bonkers celebrating the IAFs comprehensive ASQR, some of the parameters asked for, were not exactly that world-breaking.

The L-1 mentality that often drives Govt procurement ends up ignoring the performance delta of the top tier and in an urge to broadbase the competition, the parameters are also relaxed. Allowing the MiG-35s to skate through.

Quick question - of these 6 platforms, which DIDNT have sensor fusion already (of any proper kind) or even on its roadmap?

F-16 Block70, F/A-18 E/F, Rafale, EF, Gripen NG, MiG-35

Then consider what "met ASQR" really means.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Rakesh wrote: That is what I thought as well. But then there is this picture below. Either they were used very little and then stripped down to just the basic air frame, which makes no sense whatsoever. Or construction of these 21 birds were stopped after the basic air frame was completed and left in storage for the past 30+ years.
They were completed but were unused so they were disassembled. Just an FYI shoddy build quality is prevalent with early mig-29 Algeria bought some used mig-29smt and returned them because of their poor quality. So buyer beware...
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

John, that is really weird. Not that I am discounting what you are saying. But what is the reason for disassembling 21 functional aircraft? If they did not want it, could they not have sold it off to another country?

Also, this may be a long shot...but I will still ask. Do we know in which areas the build quality was poor? I would be concerned if it was in the air frame. However, media reports indicate that the IAF is quite happy with the material condition of these birds.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Rakesh wrote:John, that is really weird. Not that I am discounting what you are saying. But what is the reason for disassembling 21 functional aircraft? If they did not want it, could they not have sold it off to another country?

Also, this may be a long shot...but I will still ask. Do we know in which areas the build quality was poor? I would be concerned if it was in the air frame. However, media reports indicate that the IAF is quite happy with the material condition of these birds.
No idea on why they were disassembled, all current reports state the wings were disassembled. Unless you do full inspection and testing I am not sure you can uncover any quality issues. Fact that no one bought these only raises my suspicion.

"For three decades, these aircraft have lain unused; their wings stored separate from their bodies. Now, the IAF has been invited to buy them at the price they were built — which is below $25 million (Rs 175 crore). That is cheaper even than the Tejas Mark 1 fighter."

As for Algeria a correction they bought new SMTs but found the build quality to be horrendous and suffered from numerous issues they (Algerian) blamed it on parts that were manufactured in 90s rather than being new. They returned them for Flankers. Common trend seems to be Migs built near end and right after cold war had numerous quality issues.

Mig seems to have improved quality in last decade or so but the fact they were buying old mig-29s with updated equipment doesn't help that argument and we could end up in same boat as Algerians. I would much rather buy more Su-30s and look at perhaps even Su-35 for this amount of money (probably can get them for 2 billion sure it's double the price but it's new airframe).
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Posted on Keypubs forum by a Russian poster

link to article that shows stored MiG-29s

Has a LOT of pics of the stored MiG-29s from the Soviet era. However, many were used to build MiG-29s, of which ~20 were bought by Myanmar and some also by the Russian Air Force.

These are clearly in very good condition. Back when the pics were taken, there even were a few IAF MiG-29B that was undergoing upgrade to the UPG standard, in the same factory.

Last edited by Kartik on 14 Feb 2019 05:25, edited 5 times in total.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

John wrote:
Rakesh wrote: That is what I thought as well. But then there is this picture below. Either they were used very little and then stripped down to just the basic air frame, which makes no sense whatsoever. Or construction of these 21 birds were stopped after the basic air frame was completed and left in storage for the past 30+ years.
They were completed but were unused so they were disassembled. Just an FYI shoddy build quality is prevalent with early mig-29 Algeria bought some used mig-29smt and returned them because of their poor quality. So buyer beware...
That was more political than anything..those same MiG-29SMTs are serving with the VKS now.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

^ Could be but VKS will be last to complain about mig-29 quality. Considering the cost involved we are paying almost top price for vanilla 29s and to upgrade them on top of that. I would much rather see money spent on new airframes.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ArjunPandit wrote:^^even more than mig29? I always thought Su30 was the most maneuverable
The MKI lacks the incredible T:W ratio of the Mig-29. Those 2 RD-33's pack a huge punch on an airframe the size of the Mig-29. I'm not sure how much the added weight of the upgrade (including the dorsal fuel tank) affects the T:W ratio though. But any hit to its agility is more than compensated for by the additional fuel which fixes the Mig-29's biggest problem of low endurance.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ArjunPandit wrote:^^even more than mig29? I always thought Su30 was the most maneuverable
Arjun do read up on the Mig29 and its design philosophy. It will also give you a great insight into Soviet combat tactics.
It will also give you perhaps some insight into how the IAF goes about its business.
The Su is a great bird but not the same mystique as the Baaz
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

If these fulcrums are available at said price, they would make a fabulous deal. All this about build quality issues, Algerian migs etc can easily be discarded. In all the complaints that the iaf has about the bird, I never heard of build quality being one. If there were aurfram issues, it was mainly for the Navy, and even those seem to be rectified.. India is not Algeria, the iaf has solid expertise and infrastructure for the fulcrum. They know what they are doing.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

John wrote:
Rakesh wrote:John, that is really weird. Not that I am discounting what you are saying. But what is the reason for disassembling 21 functional aircraft? If they did not want it, could they not have sold it off to another country?

No idea on why they were disassembled, all current reports state the wings were disassembled. Unless you do full inspection and testing I am not sure you can uncover any quality issues. Fact that no one bought these only raises my suspicion.

"For three decades, these aircraft have lain unused; their wings stored separate from their bodies. Now, the IAF has been invited to buy them at the price they were built — which is below $25 million (Rs 175 crore). That is cheaper even than the Tejas Mark 1 fighter."

As for Algeria a correction they bought new SMTs but found the build quality to be horrendous and suffered from numerous issues they (Algerian) blamed it on parts that were manufactured in 90s rather than being new. They returned them for Flankers. Common trend seems to be Migs built near end and right after cold war had numerous quality issues.

Mig seems to have improved quality in last decade or so but the fact they were buying old mig-29s with updated equipment doesn't help that argument and we could end up in same boat as Algerians. I would much rather buy more Su-30s and look at perhaps even Su-35 for this amount of money (probably can get them for 2 billion sure it's double the price but it's new airframe).
Worrisome. Why disassemble these particular aircraft of a type that the Roos AF still flies?

But as long as the Russians don’t pull a Vikky (jack up prices half way through project) then all good.

Still, I rather spend those $25M per plane on new Tejas.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Most of the current Mig-29 or Mirage we fly are built in early mid 80 , As part of the UPG/2000-5Mk2 upgrade they refurbish it after comprehensive review of its airframe and this extends their life to 25 more years.

Since these airframe kept is not even flow I would expect they will have 25 plus years of life and with UPG upgrade they will get their stndard avionics fit.

The IAF certainly has good imression of the Mig-29 and UPG upgrade and I had posted a video of IAF Senior office speaking good about it.

here it is

]IAF Mig-29 Upgrade would affect IN Mig-29K upgrade ....let see may be new AESA later on for 29K is possible plus TVC RD-33MK

Saksham Bharat:- MiG-29 Upgrade

Not a full list but what Group Captain says about Mig-29UPG upgrade

1 ) Upgrade add A2G capability anti-ship and make A2A capability more potent
2 ) New Radar has multiple Track and Shoot capability simultanously
3 ) PGM capability added and new aircraft is very effective in targetting deep specially in mountanous region both for Pakistan and CHina
4 ) Adding IFR capabilty has made it possible for it be in air for 6 hrs or more
5 ) New A2A missile capability , total digital avionics and Glass cockpit
6 ) Has T:W Ratio of more than 1 so aircraft can take of vertically
7 ) During Kargil Mig-29 was assigned exclusively for CAP in that region , Total 6 Aircraft was assigned for CAP , Enemy aircraft though flying but due to Mig-29 did not come more than 50 km close to LOC
8 ) Based out at Adampur IAF oldest and 2nd largest AB
9 ) Grp Captain says even today you cant beat Mig-29 in dog fight with contemporary aircraft having Canard and TVC[/quote]
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

A few images of the unfinished Mig 29s in the Russian storage facility

More images maybe found at

https://saoirse-2010.livejournal.com/21550.html

Dunno if these are the ones we are getting.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Austin wrote:
9 ) Grp Captain says even today you cant beat Mig-29 in dog fight with contemporary aircraft having Canard and TVC
Yah, but the IAF decided to make SU-30MKI its backbone.

To be perfectly honest, the Fulcrum feels like the MiG-21 to me. A legacy aircraft. Everywhere in the world, it is at most a complement to the Flanker and mostly because of older stock that is around anyways.

Burma, Bangladesh, Malaysia, etc. had seen these things laid up and become derelict because of maintenance issues. Granted IAF support for the 29 is better but it is complementary to MKI. Spends on it makes me feel that money can be better used domestically (including MKI.) But that’s just me.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

INDIAN AIR FORCE | Men Machine Effects | Vayu Shakti 2019

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Very nice video....
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

we need to move away from the cult and mystique of the individual ace air warrior to a dal roti unsexy "system of systems" approach where increasingly, the electronic superiority of radars, EW, missiles and loiter time plays a bigger role in achieving the desired effect of chasing the enemy from the air or destroying any challenger.

that is how a fairly mundane performer like a F18C operating with its support assets in a large force engagement will most definitely defeat a equivalent number of Mig29.

F15X does not even pretend to be a agile dogfighter of the Mig29k/F-solahblock40 mould lugging as it does upto 22 missiles and G-limited by its airframe ..... it can just fly high and fast , protected and guided by EW assets and comprehensive self protection suite and pick its fights.

individually any AF can have great 1:1 winners, but when the big fight looms, its the bigger more networked and resilient force that will win.

instead of Mig29 we should invest in a couple squadrons of growlers like Australia has done. ie buy a couple squadrons of SU30 with ram air generator pods for this role.

its not the big ripped guy with a mace who wins these days. its the small efficient inconspicuous sw driven munna who zero days the big buys bank a/c , shuts his car down, cancels all his credit cards and makes life hell for him without any smoke trail.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Some drop dead gorgeous photos of the IAF's MiG-29UPG fighter by Angad Singh.

https://twitter.com/zone5aviation/statu ... 1747935232 ----> ... and a new lease on life for others, such as the MiG-29 ‘Baaz’ — most of these have been upgraded to the MiG-29UPG standard, like these jets here.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

These above pictures are coming in Air Forces Monthly....

Indian Air Force Firepower Demo
https://airforcesmonthly.keypublishing. ... ower-demo/
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

VIDEO

https://www.facebook.com/sarath.buddha/ ... 869684085/ ---> Conventional 1000 lbs class of bombs offer more drag, ARDE (DRDO) designed & developed high speed low drag (HSLD) 450 kg bombs suitable for carriage on modern aircraft. A glimpse of IAF's Su-30MKI dropping HSLD bombs during Ex Vayushakti 2019.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Kashi wrote:A few images of the unfinished Mig 29s in the Russian storage facility

[img]https://img-fotki.yandex

More images maybe found at

https://saoirse-2010.livejournal.com/21550.html

Dunno if these are the ones we are getting.
That last image suggests s lot of composite usage in the airframe. Probably are the new builds for Egypt and not the original 1980s vintage that the iaf is looking at.

Jmt
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i was kind of shocked to read the CAG report on IAF.. looks the IAF is as incompetent as the IAS babus !! all of the accquisitions seems riddled with problems.

<SNIP>

i mean we cant draft ASQR's ...have no idea when the stocks are expiring..when to initiate RFP's etc... its kind of crazy. There needs to be specialzed group of people lawyers, financial experts to deal with these issues.
Last edited by Indranil on 15 Feb 2019 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Objectionable parts removed. Consider this a soft warning. I am letting you off because today none of us can think straight.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

the Met deptt of GOI accquired the same radars in 8 months vs 4 years for IAF !!! RPF issued after stock have expired for some items !!
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Karan M wrote:..... Quick question - of these 6 platforms, which DIDNT have sensor fusion already (of any proper kind) or even on its roadmap?

F-16 Block70, F/A-18 E/F, Rafale, EF, Gripen NG, MiG-35

Then consider what "met ASQR" really means.
Oouch, it stings, cold and arctic type !! Philips saar surely knows.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Those Pics are not of old stored Mig-29s but only those of parts. Are we really considering to pay $15million just for each set of those airframe parts (zero avionics, wiring, engines, assembly jigs and man-hours etc)? What about putting together a flight-worthy aircraft? Only then we should consider paying UPG costs above that. Otherwise we're the biggest suckers of all time. Surely lessons have been learnt since Gorshkov.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

I would like to believe so, but only time will tell.
hemant_sai
BRFite

Post by hemant_sai »

Google shows Mig35 cost as $40mln. If this is true, why not go for new Mig35? If we are paying anything above $25mln for Mig29UPG upgraded from old stock, something is wrong with IAF.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

manjgu wrote:i was kind of shocked to read the CAG report on IAF.. looks the IAF is as incompetent as the IAS babus !! all of the accquisitions seems riddled with problems.

<SNIP>

i mean we cant draft ASQR's ...have no idea when the stocks are expiring..when to initiate RFP's etc... its kind of crazy. There needs to be specialzed group of people lawyers, financial experts to deal with these issues.
Above a certain level, its all babudom in every organization. Even in Private companies. Mediocre people with bean counting mentality are promoted, who try to maintain status quo. Anyone who rocks the boat will be eliminated or pushed in some corner long time before he can reach position of power, unless of coarse he is too good and right to ignore and when someone at the top at least recognizes the importance and become guarding angel.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hemant_sai wrote:Google shows Mig35 cost as $40mln. If this is true, why not go for new Mig35? If we are paying anything above $25mln for Mig29UPG upgraded from old stock, something is wrong with IAF.
one cannot arrive at reliable figures for such small order history. large scale production like f16/eurofighter/c130/chinook/apache/mi17/su30 from healthy and stable vendors can provide some confidence data based on past history.

plus there is the whole weapons package and a support and spares pkg first for some years and then has to be renewed, the new uptime based service model, millions for every proper manuals and documents (the US is famous for that), onsite training etc etc.

the bare flyaway cost of a airframe with no weapons or pods just about doubles due to all this.

wrt to the Mig29 in storage the only things reusable will be the metal shells. its really not possible to use rubber, plastic, electricals, avionics that are now 30 years old. its out of date and these materials degrade over time just like a shoe loses its bounce after a year of running.

the Mig29 has to be built from the shell up.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ airframe unit costs are increasingly meaningless, you have to look at overall programme lifetime costs and weapons fits
some sort of total availability based metric might be more appropriate
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Personally I believe more Tejas Mk1 IOC/FOC would be a better bet than these MiG-29 and available in the same timeframe that Russian would deliver them. Seems to be a repeat of the Gorshkov saga - with Indian money to be used to resuscitate MiG RAC.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Singha wrote:we need to move away from the cult and mystique of the individual ace air warrior to a dal roti unsexy "system of systems" approach where increasingly, the electronic superiority of radars, EW, missiles and loiter time plays a bigger role in achieving the desired effect of chasing the enemy from the air or destroying any challenger.

its not the big ripped guy with a mace who wins these days. its the small efficient inconspicuous sw driven munna who zero days the big buys bank a/c , shuts his car down, cancels all his credit cards and makes life hell for him without any smoke trail.
Singha ji, that sounds like the daydream of every desi ITwallah or analyst in the States who had been bullied by a muscle-bound gora office jock. lol

Yeah, the “Top Gun” way of aerial warfare is way past its prime. TBH.