Upcoming India-Pakistan War - Force Balances, Strategy, Tactics, etc.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Upcoming India-Pakistan War - Force Balances, Strategy, Tactics, etc.

Post by ramana »

Folks time to get back to basics and BRF strong point collate, discuss, Forces, weapons, Strategy, Tactics as war looks inevitable after Pulwama.
Please no.single liners, whines or emoticons.
Summary ban for any if that.

We have about >100 guests logging everyday since Feb 14, Pulwama attack.
Keep them in mind the you post.

First I would like a disposition of Pak forces from open sources. The principal corps commanders and their back grounds. Use proper hashtag for later usage.
I want which airbases and what aircraft they hold.
Naval assets.
Irregular troops. Full order of battle.

Post like you are conducting the war. A few years ago we had the two front war that didn't go anywhere. Let make our best effort.
Hope those who left will come back to contribute.

Jai Hind.
Suresh S
BRFite

Re: Upcoming India-Pakistan War - Force Balances, Strategy, Tactics, etc.

Post by Suresh S »

others more knowledgeable than me will I am sure write the details but this is one way this war is going to unfold.
It will start when we least expect it. it will start with a Bramhos barrage in early morning both from land and from the Arabian sea. IAF will play a decisive role in the coming battle. PAF will cease to remain a serious threat after the first 48 hrs. Almost simultaneously with Bramhos barrage IAF will attack both from the west and from south(like israel). Attacks from west (Iran) and even north (tajikistan) are possible. PAF will have their attention diverted in every direction. They do not know which way it is coming from.Bramhos barrage will be directed at radar sites , sites of BM and cruise missiles and air defense batteries. I expect paki army HQ, ISI HQ will be hit. Expect HQ of jaish and Lasker will be hit.

Viky will play an important roll .There will be a naval blockade of pakistan.Large part of it,s navy is going to be destroyed.

Land battles will rage on all along the LOC and international border in Rajasthan, Punjab and Gujarat. I do not expect india to grab large parts of paki land except in kashmir that also in defensible positions only.

The threat of Nukes will always remain. I do not expect these to be used but of course to discount these entirely will be foolhardy. if pakis use nukes than all bets are off.
Last edited by Suresh S on 25 Feb 2019 08:49, edited 2 times in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks. You are getting ahead. We want to start with what we know of Pak forces.

Here is link to a BRF thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7371&start=480
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

Speaking of Corps Commanders, by an interesting twist of fate, GOC 14 Corps is none other than Lt Gen Y K Joshi, better known as the commander of 13 JKRIF battalion of PVC honorees Capt Vikram Batra and Rifleman Sanjay Kumar - the conquerors of Pt 5140 during the Kargil war. If 14 Corps sees action, this will be poetic justice for the treachery of Kargil. I hope it does. My most ardent dreams center around what 14 Corps can do.

Gen. Joshi has had an unusually active career - he has been in the thick of it since his battalion command during the Kargil war - he commanded a Brigade and 3 Infantry Division in Eastern Ladakh, and was also involved as part of the DGMO office in negotiations with China during the multiple intrusions into Eastern Ladakh in the last 10 years.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The "why" of war is clear: Give Peace a Chance, which means end Pakistan. There is no other way, it has been proven for 70 years. I think that is very sad, but it is sadly true. So Indians must go into this with a clear mind: there is no alternative.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Air Base, Location, Aircraft & Distance From IB

PAF Base Masroor, Karachi, JF-17 Thunder 200 km to 400 km
ZDK-03 AEW&C Karakoram Eagle
Mirage-IIIEA ROSE-I, Mirage 5PA2/3
Mirage IIIDE,5EF Alouette III

PAF Base Shahbaz, Jacobabad, F-16 C/D Block 52+ F-16 A/B, Leonardo AW139 200 km to 400 km

PAF Base Samungli, Quetta, F-7PG, JF-17 Thunder, Alouette III 450 km to 800 km

PAF Base Bholari, Thatta, F-16 A/B Block 15ADF 200 km to 350 km

PAF Base Faisal, Karachi, C-130 180 km to 400 km

PAF Base Mushaf, Sargodha, F-16 A/B, Falcon 20 F/G, F-7P 180 km to 220 km
Mirage 5PA, JF-17 Thunder, Alouette III

PAF Base Rafiqui, Shorkot, Mirage IIIEP/RP, Mirage III, Mirage 5 ROSE-II 160 km to 260 km
Mirage ROSE-III, Alouette III

PAF Base Peshawar, Peshawar, JF-17 Thunder, F-7PG, Alouette III 200 km to 300 km

PAF Base M.M. Alam, Mianwali, K-8P,F-7P, FT-7P, F-7PG, FT-7P, Alouette III 250 km to 350 km

PAF Base Minhas, Attock, JF-17 Thunder, JF-17 Thunder, 150 km to 200 km
Alouette III, Mi-171Sh
Saab 2000 Erieye AEW&C

PAF Base Murid, Chakwal 160 km to 230 km

PAF Base Nur Khan, Rawalpindi, C-130, IL-78MP MRTT, Gulf Stream IV 80 km to 150 km
Embraer Phenom 100, Cessna, Beech, Y-12

PAF Academy Asghar Khan, Risalpur, Mushshak, T-37, K-8 200 km to 250 km

Info from wiki, for distance, I took an arc from different points across the IB.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

https://www.financialexpress.com/india- ... musharraf/
Addressing the press conference in UAE on Friday, Musharraf said, “Indian and Pakistan relations have again reached a dangerous level. There will be no nuclear attack. If we would attack India with one atomic bomb, then the neighbouring country could finish us by attacking with 20 bombs. Then the only solution is that we should first attack them with 50 atom bombs so that they cannot hit us with 20 bombs. Are you ready to first launch an attack with 50 bombs?”
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

If we indeed conduct air strike, IMO, main threat will be from F-16 Block 52s, pakis have 18 of 71 F-16s they have got from the US. Apart from this, they've purchased 13 second hand F-16s from Jordan. In all there have been 9 crashes of F-16s. Along with these, we really need to take our their Erieyes. Not sure how effective and reliable their JF 17s are.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Karthik S
Thanks you got my drift.
Folks please follow his format.
Some one look at PN. That's easy part.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

KarthikS
What about Skardu?

Gagan can we have Google pics of all these?
TIA
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Pakistan vs India , Military Balance

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuEQYdgD8_A/
Last edited by Austin on 25 Feb 2019 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can you post the image?
Shekhar Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shekhar Singh »

To all members... DO NOT POST ANY INFORMATION HERE WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE IN PUBLIC DOMAIN.......Let us be a bit responsible and careful on this....
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

I'd rather we post information on what Pak has.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i think how well we can cripple their airfileds/runways in the first few hours will have an important bearing on the outcome... and how good it their standoff weapons delivery capability. however state of Pakistan economy after the hostilities end is another question. IK offering peace and Bajwa offering retaliation are clear signs of nervousness..Ik must be say 'sir mundate hi ole pad rahe hain' !!
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

As to Paki air defense, given Pakis AF has smaller capability they have concentrated their air assets around Sargodha which also happens to be paki Punjab military heart. So IMHO their air defense assets are thrown to protect their cojons.

This time though IAF has Brahmos in qty to supress their radar network and also hit their hanger/fighter pans. And there is no air defense against BrahMos Missile. Phalcon AWACS will be IAF force multiplier.

So IMHO PAF heart of Sargodha will suffer badly, and also nearby fields.
F16 will be pulled back into its strategic depth near Afghanistan/Iran border, to keep the best for last.

The JF17 is in qty, that will IMHO take the brunt of IAF assult.

-----------
One can now appriciate why investment in defense preparedness is critical for national well being.

Not having in hand MMRCA/Rafale, LCA, BrahmosNG, long range glide bomb, anti-material rifle, assult rifles, personal armour vest, 120mm howitzer, submarines, will negatively influence Indian casulty and victory probability.

Not enough of Akash batteries too.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Will not be suprised with Brahmos with >300km range hitting Rawalpindi and Peshawar.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

I recall Air Chief Marshal Mehra was very happy (had a mischievous smile) when first few Phalcon were ordered.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

2 3 squadrons of MKIs can take a loopy course over the Arabian Sea and use one of Iranian air fields to target assets in Baluchistan. Except for Baluchistan region, pakis don't have strategic depth.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

I think the most important question we must ask ourselves is what is Pakistan's nuclear threshold? And can their delivery systems penetrate our defenses and hit our Cities. And what should we do to intercept it.

Another important thing is to make sure China/USA stays out of this war if we are preparing to make Pakistan bleed. We can't let it turn into a two front war with unkil secretly supplying Pakistanis with their weapons and China helping pakis against Indian 'aggression'. For that to happen, we have to isolate Pakistan at world stage like we had done in 1971 ( when it was committing a genocide ) use whatever means to make sure every other country stay out of this war.

If China and USA refuse to help Pakistan, Pakis will surely run to their Islamic ummah for help. And we must to do everything in our power that they also Don't interfere.

After we are done isolating pakis we must make sure that our spares/supplies are not cutoff by Russia/France/unkil/Israel ( our biggest defense partners)
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

I think the right approach at this juncture would be to hit the Bahawalpur headquarters of JEM with Pinaka rockets from our side of the border while at the same time pummeling the LoC. And then to not let the war escalate. This is a good step in the escalation ladder, keeps things in our control and delivers a bloody nose to the Pakis by hitting their strategic target in Punjab. To prevent escalation, our communication has to be clear to Pakis and their forefathers that we will stop with this as long as there is no major response from their side - yes they will also lob a couple of arab invaders at us to save face.

The entire operation should take place within 15-30 minutes followed by silence of the guns and telegrams to the involved parties.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

AshishAcharya... dont twist ur lungi with Pak N bum. Their bluff will be called out v soon ..inshallah. I hope Modi ji can deliver what the country needs... nobody is going to help Pak if the ballon does go up. USA no way...China ( maybe some loans after all is over). Nobody likes to make a bad investment. Anything short of Brahmosssss inside PA HQ, PAF HQ, PN HQ will be disappointment. What will u get by destroying Bhawalpur...only maybe 100/200 unwashed abduls.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

manjgu wrote:What will u get by destroying Bhawalpur...only maybe 100/200 unwashed abduls.
Pakfauj "izzat" will be undone. They need periodic reminders.

Then get back to letting them collapse on their own. Much like solar cooking, slow painful exercise but will be delicious in the end.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

manjgu wrote:AshishAcharya... dont twist ur lungi with Pak N bum. Their bluff will be called out v soon ..inshallah. I hope Modi ji can deliver what the country needs... nobody is going to help Pak if the ballon does go up. USA no way...China ( maybe some loans after all is over). Nobody likes to make a bad investment. Anything short of Brahmosssss inside PA HQ, PAF HQ, PN HQ will be disappointment. What will u get by destroying Bhawalpur...only maybe 100/200 unwashed abduls.
We must take all factors into account. That's why I raised the nuclear question. And the state department of USA is filled with Pakistan sympathizers who view it as a very important place that needs to be under their control. Same with China, due to the gwadar port. Isolating Pakistan and ascertaining who all will be willing to throw in their support behind pakis is our top priority now. We don't need any surprises during the war.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Under a contract dated 30 June 2015, Pakistan Army is receiving surplus M109L self propelled howitzers from Italy since last year. The data has been collected from pak.eximtradeinfo.com website, which maintains an import database. The exporter has been reported as Leonardo Defence Systems.

Deliveries reported:

10x M109L arrived on 13 May 2017

9x M109L arrived on 27 May 2017

20x M109L arrived on 6 November 2017

26x M109L arrived on 28 March 2018

there is some recent talk of getting 100,000 155mm shells from Italy.

>> they already had some 400 SP guns M109-A2/A5 courtesy khans boneyard and GOAT gifts. and their artillery is said to be quite well drilled.
>> may not be as advanced as K9 vajra but being mobile and in good numbers, hard to catch
>> also some 125 towed M198 155mm howitzers and 400 122mm chinese ones
>> 60 nos of A-100 300mm MLRS ===> these will easily outrange the BM21 grads
>> 300 nos of M101 105mm for light units and mountains
wiki

Includes 152 M109A2 [72] and 115 M109A5. [74] 122 M109L SPGs delivered by Italy between 2016 and 2019.

so while the congi ecosystem worked very hard to weaken and suppress our artillery in last 30 years, PA has been using its limited resources quite smartly to build some serious numbers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment ... istan_Army
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

4 IL78 refuelers obtained from Ukraine.
obviously russia is servicing these planes and engines.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

I think it will boil down to air campaigns. There is no point in engaging in prolonged land battles. Air campaigns need to neutralise their airfields, HVTs, known missile launch sites along with artillery and armour of pak army.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Singha wrote:4 IL78 refuelers obtained from Ukraine.
obviously russia is servicing these planes and engines.
Where will they refuel? They need to do so inside paki airspace. Unless you conduct air warfare well beyond your boundary, there is not point in refuellers. How many refuellers Israel used in all the wars it fought against its neighbours?
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

AshishAcharya wrote:I think the most important question we must ask ourselves is what is Pakistan's nuclear threshold? And can their delivery systems penetrate our defenses and hit our Cities. And what should we do to intercept it.

Another important thing is to make sure China/USA stays out of this war if we are preparing to make Pakistan bleed. We can't let it turn into a two front war with unkil secretly supplying Pakistanis with their weapons and China helping pakis against Indian 'aggression'. For that to happen, we have to isolate Pakistan at world stage like we had done in 1971 ( when it was committing a genocide ) use whatever means to make sure every other country stay out of this war.

If China and USA refuse to help Pakistan, Pakis will surely run to their Islamic ummah for help. And we must to do everything in our power that they also Don't interfere.

After we are done isolating pakis we must make sure that our spares/supplies are not cutoff by Russia/France/unkil/Israel ( our biggest defense partners)
The question is irrelevant now. I did an informal survey amongst my friends, acquainted and relatives. Almost 90% are ready to die in a nuclear war, provided Pakistan is punished and eventually destroyed. I am ready to bet this is true for most of the country too. In fact I make it a point to ask the same question to almost every one I am meeting these days. And invariably I am getting the same distance.Gone are the days when Pakis could commit massacres like 26/11 without repercussions. The generation has changed. Even Late Bharat Verma had predicted this.

I myself might not be alive after nuclear war. My property worth Crores will definitely be destroyed but I am totally ok with it. I guess this is the best part of being a hindu. For us the physical body is just a vehicle or a chariot which is transporting the atman to its next destination. All that Nuclear bomb can do is to destroy this physical body. Our atman will still be there. So what is the fuss? The sooner the merrier.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

can be used to refuel the SAAB2000 AEW planes in the rear and maintain longer time of CAPs.

this is exactly how IAF will also use.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

they will have theater level superiority in towed 155mm guns unless we denude the eastern front of these weapons

and they have a clear superiority in SP artillery - 400 vs a few K9 vajra just inducted

we have much larger numbers of 130mm and 105mm guns

if its true they have 60 x 300mm A-100 MLRS then they have more than pinaka+smerch combined. we do have large number of BM21s.

we probably have better WLR now if the rajendra WLR sets are ready to roll. the 10 ANTPQ37 sets we purchased post kargil were discarded at some point due to mounting costs of spares. PA might also have got rid of their ANTPQ36 and moved to chinese kit.

we have more drones but no HALE drones, Heron is our MALE drone of sorts.

we also have more SRBMs in prithvi , though we sat on our thumbs past few years and not yet deployed Pralay.

they have a operational GLCM in babur, and we have nothing in that dept. Babur should be able to sneak in and target transport and power/industrial sites in north and west india.

our phalcons are clearly superior, but damadji and his buddy took care of blacklisting EMB145 so we have 2 operational and a 3rd kept in HAL for developers.

a few 100 brahmos counting those at sea.

they have good AD radars the TPS70 and YLC2 for sure, maybe new sets from cheen.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Singha wrote:can be used to refuel the SAAB2000 AEW planes in the rear and maintain longer time of CAPs.

this is exactly how IAF will also use.
That's the problem they have. They are so short on strategic depth. Refuellers flying over punjab and sindh can and will be painted by MKIs. As I said we really need to work with Iran to use their air fields so that we can shut down air space over Baluchistan. Also, their ability to protect like refuellers and AWACS are also suspect. Recall we fairing poorly in that job against RAF in early 2000s.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

BTW, if we launch an air strike, these assets should be appetizers to be taken down in the first wave.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

PAF Samugli quetta is their main kabila base in the rear - rest of them are all in combat radius from our forward bases.
PAF samugli may be possible for SU30s to attack with light payloads but nobody else can reach that far.

nearest airbase is jaisalmer and this is 650km away one way. Su30 with light payload could manage a 1000 km combat radius.

PAF plans to hide in such places during the day their ground attack fleet in the day and move them forward at night to attack while A2A fighters remain along the Indus for CAP missions.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Quetta is like 50 km from Afghan border.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Annihilate PAF first. Hopefully, most of it on the ground but once it is gone, the options are limitless. The PN will then become tin cans in a tempest of IAF and IN strikes.

With no air or naval arm, we can strike along LOC and coasts at our leisure and with minimum risk.

The key is getting rid of their air force.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Karachi should be doable from the sea. Doesn't need land-based Jaguars or MKIs.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

darshhan wrote:
AshishAcharya wrote:I think the most important question we must ask ourselves is what is Pakistan's nuclear threshold? And can their delivery systems penetrate our defenses and hit our Cities. And what should we do to intercept it.

The question is irrelevant now. I did an informal survey amongst my friends, acquainted and relatives. Almost 90% are ready to die in a nuclear war, provided Pakistan is punished and eventually destroyed. I am ready to bet this is true for most of the country too. In fact I make it a point to ask the same question to almost every one I am meeting these days. And invariably I am getting the same distance.Gone are the days when Pakis could commit massacres like 26/11 without repercussions. The generation has changed. Even Late Bharat Verma had predicted this.

I myself might not be alive after nuclear war. My property worth Crores will definitely be destroyed but I am totally ok with it. I guess this is the best part of being a hindu. For us the physical body is just a vehicle or a chariot which is transporting the atman to its next destination. All that Nuclear bomb can do is to destroy this physical body. Our atman will still be there. So what is the fuss? The sooner the merrier.
No. We destroy Pakistan and not die. I am also ready for death. But what I am not ready for is our future generations inheriting a nuclear waste land. That's why I advocate determining their threshold and for a contingency plan to destroy their nukes if in case that threshold is breached. But if it comes to it I believe every Indian can do the supreme sacrifice if it means ending Pakistan once and for all.

That being said I think the upcoming war may be a air campaign in close coordination with Afghanistan and Iran. But I would love to see the first bomb being dropped on ISI headquarters. Lastly, February 27,28 will be the best time to strike. As the world and especially p5 nations will be busy over Trump and Kim meeting.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

paf samugli https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2533075 ... a=!3m1!1e3

paf masroor krachi https://www.google.com/maps/@24.8911067 ... a=!3m1!1e3

paf faisal krachi https://www.google.com/maps/@24.8755245 ... a=!3m1!1e3

paf jacobabad sindh https://www.google.com/maps/@28.2840799 ... a=!3m1!1e3

paf mushaf sargodha https://www.google.com/maps/@32.0426517 ... a=!3m1!1e3

most of their bases built in 50s and 60s on CENTO funds are large and have 2 runways.

iaf hindon - solid dispersal areas but 1 runway https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7078277 ... a=!3m1!1e3

iaf naliya out most fwd base in west from where paf atlantique was shot https://www.google.com/maps/@23.2236477 ... a=!3m1!1e3

iaf bhuj next in line
https://www.google.com/maps/@23.2877987 ... a=!3m1!1e3

iaf jamnagar most powerful base of swac https://www.google.com/maps/@22.464729, ... a=!3m1!1e3

iaf jodhpur most powerful base of wac https://www.google.com/maps/@26.2527602 ... a=!3m1!1e3
lekin runway sirf ek

iaf ambala - jags hangout den https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3695041 ... a=!3m1!1e3
iaf halwara - jags hangout den https://www.google.com/maps/@30.7478523 ... a=!3m1!1e3

iaf chandigarh - logistical crux node
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6761941 ... a=!3m1!1e3