Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Re: Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

Post by Y. Kanan »

For years I've been whining about the IAF's lack of precision targeting. But recent events show what the IAF really needs is some kind of stealth drone or long-range stealth missile. We don't need a massive fleet of strike aircraft; we just need to be able to strike any GPS coordinates in Pakistan without warning. We need to be able to blow up any building or other juicy target with one or two well placed explosives. That capability would be a game changer. Imagine how this would affect Paki decision making.

At present, we can only strike accurately within about 50km of the border. You can expect Pakis to relocate their terror camps about 50km further away now. This new style of warfare does not demand a big volume of firepower; it's all about small precision strikes.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

ramana wrote:
Singha wrote:Ratan N. Tata
Verified account
@RNTata2000
Feb 26
More
We congratulate the PM and the IAF for the successful air strikes on the terrorist training camps which Pakistan has claimed never existed! India is proud of the firm action taken in retaliation to the suicide attack on our soldiers a few days ago. @narendramodi
This guy is the Biggest LOSER today.
I am not a big fan of Tatas.. Can u elaborate why u say this..?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

khan wrote:
srin wrote:Well, splitting is still possible. Cue the below Yes Minister video for salami tactics
So, I wouldn't care about their nukes.
A Bangladesh splitting was a traumatic event. Any such trumatic event will be justicatification for a Nuke strike and this is pretty self evident - an intellectual discussion on this will serve no purpose.

What you describe is salami-slicing, which is not traumatic, and this type of behavior seems to be the policy of the current Government.

Also, maybe I should clear the air here, I am a member of what is often described as a “minority” community in India. I have very little patience for religious fundamentalism - but I have even less patience for the “patience” numerous previous Governments have shown towards terrorism & Pakistan.

To me, this is not a religious thing (Hindu vs everyone else) or political thing (BJP vs everyone else) - this is an “India” thing, and I am very happy to finally see some Cajones in Indian political leadership. I strongly suspect I am not alone here.
The nuclearization of the pakilund after the 1971 war was facilitated by the hans who wanted to ensure that the pakilund was not ever again subjected to any further balkanization, because the hans, by then, were also very firmly committed to the CPEC and gwadar.

It was only that they had not yet formally announced the CPEC and the pakis were clueless about this slow, strategic and ever tightening of the han snake's coils over their country, army, body politic, and their very future.

their iron birather's fatal iron embrace.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

While all the comments on how moving terror camps > x km from border is possible for Pakis, also consider that raises the risk for the pigs who try to infiltrate, we can incrementally move the zone as was suggested by someone earlier.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Y. Kanan wrote:For years I've been whining about the IAF's lack of precision targeting. But recent events show what the IAF really needs is some kind of stealth drone or long-range stealth missile. We don't need a massive fleet of strike aircraft; we just need to be able to strike any GPS coordinates in Pakistan without warning. We need to be able to blow up any building or other juicy target with one or two well placed explosives. That capability would be a game changer. Imagine how this would affect Paki decision making.

At present, we can only strike accurately within about 50km of the border. You can expect Pakis to relocate their terror camps about 50km further away now. This new style of warfare does not demand a big volume of firepower; it's all about small precision strikes.
Saar you are far far behind times ...

We CAN hit with pin point accuracy at ranges greater than 250 KM with the Brahmos. Then there are conventionally armed Prithvis for up to 350 KM that can neutralize a large area. it does not need pin point accuracy. You don't need what yo call *stealth missile* because these anyway are unstoppable.

The question is why are we then NOT launching these are the bakis at the first provocation?
Last edited by pankajs on 02 Mar 2019 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
EswarPrakash
BRFite

Post by EswarPrakash »

manju wrote:
I am not a big fan of Tatas.. Can u elaborate why u say this..?
LM was trying to sell F21 (F16 with a paint job) to India in collaboration with Tata
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

1) i have stopped believing 99% things on teetar 2) Just wondering as i sit in my study and hear all the IAF air activity. Whats the idea behind it. Is it to deter a pre emptive PAF strike... or to suddenly do a pre emptive strike if the orders arrive. 3) is it possible to deter shipping steaming into Karachi without actually going to war ie like in the present no peace no war situation?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Y. Kanan wrote:For years I've been whining about the IAF's lack of precision targeting. But recent events show what the IAF really needs is some kind of stealth drone or long-range stealth missile. We don't need a massive fleet of strike aircraft; we just need to be able to strike any GPS coordinates in Pakistan without warning. We need to be able to blow up any building or other juicy target with one or two well placed explosives. That capability would be a game changer. Imagine how this would affect Paki decision making.

how did you arrive at this momentous conclusion?? and 50km??
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Is there any public news or announcement from Pakis on the death of F16 pilot? Sorry if I have missed it.
gunnvant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gunnvant »

Yagnasri wrote:Is there any public news or announcement from Pakis on the death of F16 pilot? Sorry if I have missed it.
Only a firstpost article. Nothing official from NaaPakis.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

manjgu wrote:1) i have stopped believing 99% things on teetar 2) Just wondering as i sit in my study and hear all the IAF air activity. Whats the idea behind it. Is it to deter a pre emptive PAF strike... or to suddenly do a pre emptive strike if the orders arrive. 3) is it possible to deter shipping steaming into Karachi without actually going to war ie like in the present no peace no war situation?
I think to keep the bakis on their toes and wear then out. With the aggressive posture adopted by IAF they cannot let their guards down.

Plus routine CAP patrol can suddenly morph into a strike package at a moments notice without longer warning period.
Last edited by pankajs on 02 Mar 2019 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Seriously if that comes out going by Paki twitter, forums .blogging and Media- there will be millions dead on heart attacks if they know the real state of affairs
harish_ch
BRFite -Trainee

Post by harish_ch »

pankajs wrote: The question is why are we then NOT launching these are the bakis at the first provocation?
I believe airstrikes were used to take advantage of our superiority over PAF...If we do an airstrike, Pakis will respond similarly (for showing off to their public that they are equal to us and at the same time avoid escalation by making bigger strikes using missiles etc). IAF was confident about imposing costs in case of such a response and hence it proceeded with striking the targets.

Using same logic, launching a missile would invite an equal response from Pakis . The damage they suffer will be very much but surely they will hide it and the counter attack for them is too easy. They'll lose some missiles at us and claim retaliation.

Just my 2 cents.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Looks like the Air Strike Missed the Target due to Terriane Issue in Evidence provided by Australian researcher

Were India’s airstrikes in Pakistan a strategy for public approval?
gunnvant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gunnvant »

Do you guys think that there is move towards de-escalation now? Any public briefings by MOD/Foreign Ministry planned?
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

sanjaykumar wrote:There seems to be terrible carnage in the on going Indian attack on Kotli; there are desperate people, POK residents, trapped in the firestorm.

Okay folks I think I've had enough of this war. The war criminal PA just needs to demonstrate to Modi that they have put their jihadi dogs down. Give Modi reason to call of this carnage. There are people needlessly dying in Kotli for some Islamist imbecilic ghazwa e hind fantasies.
Saar, dying is cheap saar. It is the hurt of loosing the bread winner, the carer, the shoulder to lean on & having to live on for 30-40 years soulless, that is what real Hurt is saar.

If death & injury was such a dreadful thing, we wouldn't have jihadis blow themselves up from horn of Africa to end of Himalayas.

Sometimes, pain is necessary for change.

Apologies for the rant.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

harish_ch wrote:
pankajs wrote: The question is why are we then NOT launching these are the bakis at the first provocation?
I believe airstrikes were used to take advantage of our superiority over PAF...If we do an airstrike, Pakis will respond similarly (for showing off to their public that they are equal to us and at the same time avoid escalation by making bigger strikes using missiles etc). IAF was confident about imposing costs in case of such a response and hence it proceeded with striking the targets.

Using same logic, launching a missile would invite an equal response from Pakis . The damage they suffer will be very much but surely they will hide it and the counter attack for them is too easy. They'll lose some missiles at us and claim retaliation.

Just my 2 cents.
Escalation ladder is to be climbed one step at a time. It is in no ones interest to go from 0 to 10 in first shot. This is not a F1 race where acceleration counts.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Look like Unpowered Glide Bomb with IIR seeker can have accuracy issue due to high altitude terraine , Better would be to use Brahmos Blk 3
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

1) i think move is towards escalation...Z plus security to Chiefs ( IAF, IN) from yesterday, flare up at LOC, Modi ji stmt abt pilot project etc, amount of air activity over my head... I think IA is not fully deployed and is still in process of taking up positions. 2) any idea about shipping question??
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Austin wrote:Looks like the Air Strike Missed the Target due to Terriane Issue in Evidence provided by Australian researcher

The estimated miss distance is around 100-200 m
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Austin wrote:Looks like the Air Strike Missed the Target due to Terriane Issue in Evidence provided by Australian researcher

Austin all this is kite flying, IAF has told the Government it has the evidence of hitting the targets, the Govt will release at an appropriate time like Surgical strikes. Lets leave these paid Doubting thomases away. Pigs have squealing and Pakis would not have attempted a 24 aircraft strike on Feb 27 if the IAF strike had been a failure. Paki behaviour is a clear evidence that thier morale was shattered.

Why would a country which huge forex problems shut down its airspace as result?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 226792.cms
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Mods please ban this traitor immediately. But seriously this tells me we just need to shoot at a bigger target next time. If we're really this timid, then it's time to rethink our assumptions about Paki escalation as we're far more scared of these cretins than we should be.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

chetak wrote:
Katare wrote:As for as I know, we have not seen any images of that madrassa compound. No journalist have been allowed anywhere near it either. No interview with students or moulanas/trainers have been aired by any ofcthe Pakistani TV channels. If the target is intact why not show it to the world.

IAF hadn’t disclosed how many bombs it dropped, so it is possible that the madrassa was destroyed but a few bombs strayed from their targets and landed in nearby forest.

Since they would have carried more bombs than needed so some mirages may have dumped them (who wants to lug around a heavy 1 ton bomb on sprint back home) to lighten up once they saw enemy aircraft approaching.

So it is possible that the target was obliterated and additional bombs were dropped/fell in the near by forest. Both Indian and Pakistan claims could be true. Unfortunately Indian authorities are tight lipped and Pakistan is showing its side in a bikini.
O, ye of little faith!!

ANI ✔ @ANI

Air Vice Marshal RGK Kapoor: We have evidence to show that whatever we wanted to do and targets we wanted to destroy, we have done that. Decision to show the evidence is on senior leadership

7:29 PM - Feb 28, 2019
Oye bhai, aap padte to ho per samajha bhi to karo. I am asking Pakistan to show me the Madrasa’s live pictures if it’s not been hit by IAF as is being claimed by them. GoI or faith pe kahan se pahunch gaye aap. Why put burden on GoI alone to show proof?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Aditya_V wrote:

Austin all this is kite flying, IAF has told the Government it has the evidence of hitting the targets, the Govt will release at an appropriate time like Surgical strikes. Lets leave these paid Doubting thomases away. Pigs have squealing and Pakis would not have attempted a 24 aircraft strike on Feb 27 if the IAF strike had been a failure. Paki behaviour is a clear evidence that thier morale was shattered.

Why would a country which huge forex problems shut down its airspace as result?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 226792.cms
More over the proof offered of the *miss* is itself doubtful ...
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Y. Kanan wrote:

Mods please ban this traitor immediately. But seriously this tells me we just need to shoot at a bigger target next time. If we're really this timid, then it's time to rethink our assumptions about Paki escalation as we're far more scared of these cretins than we should be.
Pls, No name calling and let it be ...
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Aditya no idea Fog of War ......You can expect in coming days Def Mag like Janes etc would carry their own analysis based on commercial sat pictures as they have done in the past during Syria stikes

I am hoping we hit them all and well , It would be disappointing else
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Lets wait 10-15 days, but younger brother of Masood Azhar, their common elder brother who rant he seminary has come out screaming, this PAF emotional attempted attack on 27 Feb, ceasefire violations all indicate they lost something big on the morning of Feb 26.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Guys, if we don’t behave mods will shut it down. Please don’t attack or write aggressive posts against others.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

I hope so , Modi called this as experiment an indication of something bigger later
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

and look at this sly, duplicitous and sanctimonious beggar
Rajdeep Sardesai Verified account @sardesairajdeep

Dear @ImranKhanPTI : a request not to treat Wing Commander Abhinandan like some ‘prize catch’ to be paraded in his bloodied state on video. You were a cricketer who played by the rules; please treat him with the dignity deserving of a man in uniform.

4:33 AM - 27 Feb 2019 from Noida, India
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Vijainder Thakur , ex IAF Jag pilot as debunked Australian analysis claim in his tweet

https://twitter.com/vkthakur/status/1101692716415516672
gunnvant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gunnvant »

manjgu wrote:1) i think move is towards escalation...Z plus security to Chiefs ( IAF, IN) from yesterday, flare up at LOC, Modi ji stmt abt pilot project etc, amount of air activity over my head... I think IA is not fully deployed and is still in process of taking up positions. 2) any idea about shipping question??
Thanks Sirji. About the shipping routes nothing unusual that I know of, except for some Chinese vessels approaching Karachi.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Austin wrote:

Are we sure that this was the target? This is the terrorist camp? I don't think the gov has given any coordinates to public, everyone is assuming that this is the target

I am saying this because I can see another Isolated hill top structure just 3KM north of this site slightly more organised
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

pankajs wrote:
Y. Kanan wrote:
Pls, No name calling and let it be ...
That was a joke; I appreciated Austin's post for its refreshing honesty and lack of delusional jingoism.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

chetak wrote:and look at this sly, duplicitous and sanctimonious beggar
Rajdeep Sardesai Verified account @sardesairajdeep

Dear @ImranKhanPTI : a request not to treat Wing Commander Abhinandan like some ‘prize catch’ to be paraded in his bloodied state on video. You were a cricketer who played by the rules; please treat him with the dignity deserving of a man in uniform.

4:33 AM - 27 Feb 2019 from Noida, India
Didn't the fellow himself admit to ball tampering in his autobiography?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

twitter
Amusing how sections of the compromised Indian media are tripping over themselves to give credit for #WingCommandarAbhinandan’s release to foreign powers rather than the resolute stand taken by the Indian govt & Indian armed forces.

6:52 AM - 28 Feb 2019
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Anujan wrote:
chetak wrote:and look at this sly, duplicitous and sanctimonious beggar
not to mention the various others who tampered with his ball :wink:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Kakarat wrote:
Austin wrote:
Are we sure that this was the target? This is the terrorist camp? I don't think the gov has given any coordinates to public, everyone is assuming that this is the target

I am saying this because I can see another Isolated hill top structure just 3KM north of this site slightly more organised
Already debunked here https://twitter.com/vkthakur/status/1101692716415516672
Patni
BRFite

Post by Patni »

To everyone who feels we need proof of strike, please consider how Pakistan has reacted and contrast it from surgical strike 1.In response to surgical strike 2, 1) no guided tour of international media to camp site arranged to show all is well? 2) Instead they have cordoned it off and no doubt attempted to remove any sign of damage. It's very easy to see the sop being used by pakis n everyone who is pro-jehadi, i.e, a) if possible deny it happened. b) if can't deny that, claim it didn't do any damage. c) do everything to destroy evidence. d) claim no one can do, what didn't happen, so India better not try again to do what they didn't do in first place!
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

chetak wrote:
Anujan wrote:
not to mention the various others who tampered with his ball :wink:
Right now he is retired from kirkit and handed over his balls to TSPA for safe keeping.