MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16 in Kashmir

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Re: MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16 in Kashmir

Post by Aditya_V »

Hope we get some SAM's and the AFgani?Pashtuni Awam get to let loose of F- Solah Pilots, all the Hassan's and Noman's.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Regarding the usage of F-16s and AMRAAMs, I think we fellas need to understand a few things.

The proportion of F-16s sold for anti Taliban anti terror related purposes is less than 50%. The mainstay of the F-16s fleet has been there since Soviet Afghan times and I refuse to believe those a/c come under post 9/11 rules. No sir.

Second, what mor_on in Pentagon is going to write and which mor_on in Pakistan Air Force Headquarters is going sign on the line which says
please use a 50-75 Kms Air to Air only missile against Camels and Mules of the Taliban Non-Existent Air Force.

Those AMRAAMS do not come up with penalty clause of any sort and neither will you see any official word coming from US trying to punish the Pakis for it.
Those missiles are meant for air to air and air to air is what they did well at by taking out the mig-21 and the pot shots at Sukhoi.

Lets stop going around in circles please fellas.

It was a classic bait and ambush manouver orchestrated by the Pakis with a dual aim of voilating the LoC and landing a few bombs on the ground while drawing in a response from the defenders that would be hit from the flanks by the exiting which has done a 270 or another force.

We successfully ran this manouver in East Pakistan and once on the western front as well ourselves.
Yes against PAF.

I shall try and find the ref to that.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

This makes a good reading of how the encounter went and is quite close to what I am putting together as well.
The F-16 ejection was bloody high 26 K... shit at that altitude.... you are going to get unconscious if the gas mask is ripped off your face which I am sure it does by wind factor.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... IrOBI.html
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The F16 loss is not a straight forward issue for US.

If the US says PAF did not loose a F16, then IAF, which knows the story will let US know " ...there goes the (F16/F18)sale bird.. flying away..never to come back again".

If it openly comes out that F16 was lost, it will hit he H&D of it's Mil Complex. Along with chances of F16 sales.

Either ways , F16 looses sales.

US will keep it in limbo ... with some back room deal with IAF. LM may now add "14" more and offer F35. US will announce, the ones sold (directly by US, keyword) post 9/11 under End user to attack Taliban airforce is all accounted for. This leaves scope of pre 9/11 sales and ones from Jordon.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

nam, nothing will happen.
They will stay stuff like we are watching this so closely so closely that we can't see jack.

They operate P3s, tomorrow in a war if they attack and sink our sub, what we are going to do.
Run to Boeing or whoever makes them and say.... but you said weapons cannot be used to kill....

fir kya sabzee katne ki liya khirade the (did they P3s to cut vegetables)

we seriously need to get off this wagon of .... we are so pissed that amraams and F-16s were used against me that I am going to open all your contracts.
Get over it....

We took a F-16 down and they took a Mig-21 down. Fair enough fight.
This is what its all about ...

Lets go induct the Tejas in larger numbers.
Let the Mk2 tejas prototype be flying in 2023.
Lets the AMCA be there in 2030.
Lets get INS Vishal a reality.
Lets be indians (not BJPians and Congressiyas) and push together.

Americans have sold to both sides all the time and they will continue to do so.
We need to stop being dluznl that we are allowed to have american weapons without any restrictions while the Pakis must be leashed with paperwork.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Khalsa wrote:nam, nothing will happen.
They will stay stuff like we are watching this so closely so closely that we can't see jack.

They operate P3s, tomorrow in a war if they attack and sink our sub, what we are going to do.
Run to Boeing or whoever makes them and say.... but you said weapons cannot be used to kill....

fir kya sabzee katne ki liya khirade the (did they P3s to cut vegetables)

we seriously need to get off this wagon of .... we are so pissed that amraams and F-16s were used against me that I am going to open all your contracts.
Get over it....

We took a F-16 down and they took a Mig-21 down. Fair enough fight.
This is what its all about ...

Lets go induct the Tejas in larger numbers.
Let the Mk2 tejas prototype be flying in 2023.
Lets the AMCA be there in 2030.
Lets get INS Vishal a reality.
Lets be indians (not BJPians and Congressiyas) and push together.

Americans have sold to both sides all the time and they will continue to do so.
We need to stop being dluznl that we are allowed to have american weapons without any restrictions while the Pakis must be leashed with paperwork.
we are so pissed that amraams and F-16s were used against me
we are pushing this line so that the amerikis light a fire under the paki arse.

we know very well that the pakis will use it against us. Pointing it out may probably muddy the waters for the FATF inspectors.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

This has not about seeking affirmation/approval/etc from Americans. This is about Paki credibility. We're countering a slippery, devious opponent with definitive responses.

After this, however much Imran Khan may run to anyone, he's not going to get open words of support. King has no clothes on to hide his pretend modesty.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Singha wrote:whatever beatings pak gets, khan will use that to seek good behaviour along durand line.

but per the article i found today in TOI, enrollment and arming of tribal levies and lashkars has started in NWFP to use in the post-trumpian afpak in concert with the taliban. they will want a quick victory over the afghan national govt. F16s in mufti might also be used at night where none can verify. the taliban might yet gets its own AF, using the same resources given to fight the taliban!
they already have their artillery as ex-PA.
and intel as ISI.

after a gap of 17 years post-911 , TSP is salivating at the thought of taking control of afghanistan again.
Yup.

Plus, the continued tension at the LOC gives bakis the excuse they need to vacate the Af-Pak border to allow a free hand to the Talibans & lashkars meant for Afghanistan a free hand.

I works out for everyone except India. We have out task cut out before us to plan for a changing Afghanistan and its impact on India. Modi has his work cut out.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

We want to at least make sure pro India senators and Congressmen can block subsidies to Pakistan. The difference between us and Pakis buying American weaponry, we paid full prices, they were heavily discounted. If we stop the discounts and make sure there is a proper mark up for all spares and weaponry, that itself will weaken Pakistan a lot. It will also mean lesser money to buy Chinese weapons.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Aditya_V wrote:Hope we get some SAM's and the AFgani?Pashtuni Awam get to let loose of F- Solah Pilots, all the Hassan's and Noman's.
Best would be to buy cheap Chinese maal to re-arm the warlords.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

@ShivAroor
Follow Follow @ShivAroor
More
BREAKING: IAF now officially attributes Pak F-16 kill to Wg Cdr Abhinandan. R-73 missile from his MiG-21 was the only weapon fired by IAF group of 8 fighters that went up against the inbound Pak Air Force jets. Abhi’s final call was to say R-73 locked, before he fell silent.

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/11 ... 2200225792
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

@SandeepUnnithan
Following Following @SandeepUnnithan
More
Where's the second pilot? Watch what Maj Gen Gafoor, PM Imran Khan said last week. This is one mystery that's not going away.

https://twitter.com/SandeepUnnithan/sta ... 3970771968
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Post Amraam shots I hope atleast revised ROE are in place where take BVR shots of they come close to the LOC
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Austin wrote:@ShivAroor
Follow Follow @ShivAroor
More
BREAKING: IAF now officially attributes Pak F-16 kill to Wg Cdr Abhinandan. R-73 missile from his MiG-21 was the only weapon fired by IAF group of 8 fighters that went up against the inbound Pak Air Force jets. Abhi’s final call was to say R-73 locked, before he fell silent.

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/11 ... 2200225792

Yaas! We are nailing down this narrative. Not that it will change the blind pakis.

But we must make sure that Shazad ud Din is remembered as the brave Paki pilot who died flying his F-16.

Ohm.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Look all we know f16 went down, Pakis will know who is thier pilot who went down
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

India today is claiming that the IAF has given proof of the F-16 shootdown to the govt. Hope the govt releases some details. Without giving away any secrets of course. High time India swung the narrative in its favour in international circles. The western powers are running down the F-16 kill as it reflects badly on their MIC and affects the chances of their planes in MMRCA 2.0. Time to tumb a nose at them.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

IAF confirms Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman shot down Pakistan F-16 fighter jet

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/i ... 2019-03-06
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Depends on the kind of proofs. If we run the risk of revealing our key ELINT features, then no need to reveal.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Aditya_V wrote:Post Amraam shots I hope atleast revised ROE are in place where take BVR shots of they come close to the LOC
thats probably how the 2nd drone was shot down by mki near ganganagar border. its noted place of fall "MW Toba" is more than 10km from the border.

so we put it to death on their side of the border, within the 10km line.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Khalsa wrote:This makes a good reading of how the encounter went and is quite close to what I am putting together as well.
The F-16 ejection was bloody high 26 K... shit at that altitude.... you are going to get unconscious if the gas mask is ripped off your face which I am sure it does by wind factor.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... IrOBI.html
for high alt ejections, the pilot is supposed to be held in the seat , with a small drogue parachute unfurled, and given his regular bottled O2 until the sensors detect thicker air at low altitude when the seat falls away, and the pilots own parachute is supposed to activate...all without manual intervention as pilot may be wounded. the ejection seat itself is a computer and life support system rolled into one. plus it has some beacon, food, weapons storage in the back sometimes. only around 3 major cos for fighter ejection seats in the world. while ejecting also the seats brain calculates some 40 factors continuously to trigger first the canopy explosive liner to clear the way and then when and how much to fire, as the plane may be spinning or rolling or in a dive.

the "behind enemy lines" film had some good footage of a hornet seat.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Austin wrote:IAF confirms Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman shot down Pakistan F-16 fighter jet

This suggests that to credit a kill to a pilot there is some process of air force officials systematically and bureaucratically going through the evidence and following some rules and guidelines to come up with a yes or no answer. If there is such a process, it would not give away what the evidence is to outline the rules and guidelines in the process. (E.g., we learn a lot by knowing that in the courts, a criminal case must be decided beyond a reasonable doubt, while a civil case, the preponderance of the evidence prevails.)
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

We will see in the coming days if US has the Intellectual Honesty to admit that PAF F-16 was used in combat , 1 was shot in combat and AMRAAM was used offensively ... Or will they just save their munna and its reputation

That would be a good beginning atleast to state facts against the wall of evidence IAF/GOI presented so far ......I am not expection any punitive action against Munna though which is fine thats expected
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

A_Gupta wrote:
Austin wrote:IAF confirms Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman shot down Pakistan F-16 fighter jet

This suggests that to credit a kill to a pilot there is some process of air force officials systematically and bureaucratically going through the evidence and following some rules and guidelines to come up with a yes or no answer. If there is such a process, it would not give away what the evidence is to outline the rules and guidelines in the process. (E.g., we learn a lot by knowing that in the courts, a criminal case must be decided beyond a reasonable doubt, while a civil case, the preponderance of the evidence prevails.)
There is indeed some kind of procedure. Evidences like gun camera, corroboration from fellow pilots, from enemy sources etc are used. RoE also matter. I read that during Korean War, many US pilots were not given credits to a lot of (American claims, so take it FWIW) MiG kills near the MiG alley which happened in the area which USAF had forbidden its pilots to go in and engage (some river was boundary, can't remember the name).
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

IAF has now officially come on record regarding F16 kill. This is an organisation that gave credit for a F104 kill 20+ years later.

I can see on tweeter as well, IAF coming out categorically. If there was any doubt, IAF would not have been on record.

On the other side, TFTA PAF. No word. Not even credit for Mig21 kill. No view on what happened.

For all the questions been asked, can someone ask the question to PAF. Who shot the Mig21? :D
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Khalsa wrote:Regarding the usage of F-16s and AMRAAMs, I think we fellas need to understand a few things.

The proportion of F-16s sold for anti Taliban anti terror related purposes is less than 50%. The mainstay of the F-16s fleet has been there since Soviet Afghan times and I refuse to believe those a/c come under post 9/11 rules. No sir.
Only 14 of the F16s come under such restriction, as per AM Anil Chopra.
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

nam wrote:IAF has now officially come on record regarding F16 kill. This is an organisation that gave credit for a F104 kill 20+ years later.

I can see on tweeter as well, IAF coming out categorically. If there was any doubt, IAF would not have been on record.

On the other side, TFTA PAF. No word. Not even credit for Mig21 kill. No view on what happened.

For all the questions been asked, can someone ask the question to PAF. Who shot the Mig21? :D
Unofficially they are crediting Haroon Siddiqui for shotting down Mig 21 - theres a video of him of being celebrated by Paki folks at their airbase
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

nam wrote:For all the questions been asked, can someone ask the question to PAF. Who shot the Mig21? :D
There is someone mentioned (I won't repeat the name here), and another fellow for the second IAF kill :roll: . When you're lying you might as well claim whatever you can. The first guy's rank isn't mentioned, and it has been clarified that they were JF-17 pilots. Presumably the Chinese have fitted AMRAAMS to JF-17 :eek: , unkil be warned. The PAF story stinks even in the absence of hard evidence of the F-16 kill in the public domain.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

must be lovely sight on the AWACS to see the F16 blip moving away and then disappearing !!! wah wah... they should somehow release that vid...kitna maza ayega bhailog. they can suitably edit it and circulate it...PR coup ho jayega.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

JayS wrote: There is indeed some kind of procedure. Evidences like gun camera, corroboration from fellow pilots, from enemy sources etc are used. RoE also matter. I read that during Korean War, many US pilots were not given credits to a lot of (American claims, so take it FWIW) MiG kills near the MiG alley which happened in the area which USAF had forbidden its pilots to go in and engage (some river was boundary, can't remember the name).
Try Yalu river.

James Michener's book The Bridges at Toko-Ri was made into a movie and won an Oscar and showed carrier pilots and operations during the Korean War. Salter's book about the Korean war that Ramana has quoted in the thread about Black Leader Ajax, AJS "Kala" Sandhu is another great book about what happens in combat and how kills are claimed and sometimes awarded to the wrong person like what happened with Amarjeet Singh Sandhu who should have been credited with 2 kills in 1965.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

nam wrote:This is an organisation that gave credit for a F104 kill 20+ years later. Ok
Sir can you please provide link for this? Not that i not trust you, but that would be helpful to bash the propaganda
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

vsunder wrote:
JayS wrote: There is indeed some kind of procedure. Evidences like gun camera, corroboration from fellow pilots, from enemy sources etc are used. RoE also matter. I read that during Korean War, many US pilots were not given credits to a lot of (American claims, so take it FWIW) MiG kills near the MiG alley which happened in the area which USAF had forbidden its pilots to go in and engage (some river was boundary, can't remember the name).
Try Yalu river.

James Michener's book The Bridges at Toko-Ri was made into a movie and won an Oscar and showed carrier pilots and operations during the Korean War. Salter's book about the Korean war that Ramana has quoted in the thread about Black Leader Ajax, AJS "Kala" Sandhu is another great book about what happens in combat and how kills are claimed and sometimes awarded to the wrong person like what happened with Amarjeet Singh Sandhu who should have been credited with 2 kills in 1965.
There's a very exciting tv series dogfight
Wg Co, Abhi's melee was much more intense than most episodes in this....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogfights_(TV_series)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

another fairly gritty old film on carrier aviators
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Intruder
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Post by Rajiv Lather »

I guess we have 250+ Su-30mki ? This is what the Attorney General told the Supreme Court today...

“We need Rafale jet to defend our country from F-16 fighter planes that recently bombed us. Without Rafale how can we resist them ? Rafale fighter jets are needed although MIG 21 of 1960s performed beautifully against F16”
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Rajiv Lather wrote:I guess we have 250+ Su-30mki ? This is what the Attorney General told the Supreme Court today...

“We need Rafale jet to defend our country from F-16 fighter planes that recently bombed us. Without Rafale how can we resist them ? Rafale fighter jets are needed although MIG 21 of 1960s performed beautifully against F16”

Sorry but this is more of reason to use that money INTERNALLY (on the Tejas, MK1, MK1A, NLCA, MWF) because we have a cushion with the Bisons never mind the huge mass of SU-30MKIs!!!!!

Must everything be twisted for a phoren buy?! I'm sorry but this upsets me.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

ArjunPandit wrote:[quote="nam"This is an organisation that gave credit for a F104 kill 20+ years later.
Sir can you please provide link for this? Not that i not trust you, but that would be helpful to bash the propaganda[/quote]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Here is a picture from 1958 of S/L Devayya who is acting as the bar table with his squadron mates.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D040Z9uXcAEIp0_.jpg

Ajjamada Bopayya Devayya shot down a F-104 with his Mystere in 1965. Nothing except a rather obscure canteen in Bangalore is named after him and the bus stand in Madikeri. BIAL should be named after him as is the tradition in many countries naming airports for aviation heroes or people advancing the aviation profession. A chance conversation years after 1965 at a bar in the UK (more precisely at the Joint Services Staff College bar in Latimer, UK) between a PAF pilot and an IAF pilot (Gp. Capt. M. M. Sinha) led to the unraveling of what happened to Devayya and the recognition of his feat leading to his being awarded a MVC years later posthumously. This story is re-told by ACM P. C. Lal a rather careful and meticulous person with collating and collecting details in his book "My Years in the IAF". I like the way people write--" I know this is correct but I want to know....." I mean is there some part of the psyche that doubts facts?? Devayya hailed from Coorg(Kodagu) which has produced many fine warriors. His wife has written poignantly of him making low passes(buzzing) their house in Kodagu in the early days of their marriage. Arjan Singh also did that and was almost court martialled. He did it to boost the morale of a fellow officer.

The second pointer that emerged was from Fricker's book, Fizzle Force who having access to PAF records wrote that the only credit to the IAF for that 5.30am raid over Sargodha was a F-104 being shot down. Omi Taneja the CO immediately knew after reading Fricker's account that this had to be "Tubby" Devayya as he was missing and nobody had claimed a kill. The F104 pilot was again shot down over Amritsar and taken prisoner in 1971 and retired as a AVM. Devayya was a standby pilot that day. Due to engine trouble two Mysteres could not take off and Devayya had to borrow an a/c from 32 squadron and so was late over Sargodha when the rest of the raid was exiting.
Last edited by vsunder on 06 Mar 2019 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Rajiv Lather wrote:I guess we have 250+ Su-30mki ? This is what the Attorney General told the Supreme Court today...

well the kidvai road cabal is in their own world. Majority of them wont even know how to google things.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

if any one says to you: "oh no old decrepit Mig 21"

just say

"no, its a super fast, highly agile, almost invisible, digitally re-engineered and souped up 3.5 generation ass kicker with a long and fine pedigree flown by some of the best fighter jocks in the business"... "even the mighty USAF fears the bison!"
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

1. Assume that the killed F-16 left unambigously-identifiable-as-F-16-parts as debris.
2. Apparently no photographs of such debris has leaked out of Pakistan.
3. Conclude that the remains of the plane are in a lightly populated area.

Since everyone is into satellite photography :) perhaps one can look in lightly populated areas for signs of this?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the awacs would have tracked the f16 till it disintegrated and fell to earth... it would therefore know where it fell
plenty of sats up there to take a picture but may not be conclusive
no need to find the wreckage - the electronic trail is enough

I am sure that all the air attaches in Delhi (US, UK, Fr, Ru) have discussed this with their IAF counterpart over a whiskey at the club already
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Lalmohan wrote:if any one says to you: "oh no old decrepit Mig 21"

just say

"no, its a super fast, highly agile, almost invisible, digitally re-engineered and souped up 3.5 generation ass kicker with a long and fine pedigree flown by some of the best fighter jocks in the business"... "even the mighty USAF fears the bison!"

I wrote on Twitter.
MiG -21 Bison gored F-16 Viper!