MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16 in Kashmir

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16 in Kashmir

Post by Singha »

ACM Sohail Aman pic from 2015. seems to be wearing that white light undercap. Go-karting circuits give that too , to prevent sweat & oil from hair marking the sponge inside helmet. to a ghazi looking to lash out, it would look like the cloth patka wrap that younger sikhs wear.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

SidSoma - I would hypothesize the following

1. strike package 1: Mirages with some sort of precision munition, being held behind IB
2. strike package 2: JF17's with a2g weapons, being held behind IB
3. strike package 3: F16D plus 2-3 F16A/C's being held behind IB
4. CAP package 1: 4 x F16's above Mangla dam (well within Pak)
5. Eeriye: somewhere over pindi in the rear

the PAF battle manager rotated the three strike packages around between IB and LOC to probe the IAF response to find a weak spot, but Su30's, M2k's and Bisons came up quickly and closed off any easy access across the LOC

the mangla cap then fires amraams towards the Su30's with a big a-o-a at very long range to create a window of opportunity, but the evasive manoeuvres defeat the amraams. It is likely that the plan was for F16 strike package to lead and then be followed by M3 and bandar if things went well. but things did not go well for the PAF...

... the F16 D and its wing fizzlers snuck over the LOC and dropped their PGM's as iron bombs (presumably the IAF/IA has these) thinking only the Bisons will be in the space and will not pick a fight with the F16's... or they will high tail it out and over the IB before anything can happen

thinking they had made their point and turned around, they were suddenly brown shalwared to find a bison (or two?) on their mush... (the IAF battle plan would have been to deter an attack, wingcmdr vartaman as the man on the spot decided to go for the D and take the shot, presumably at this stage the D was on our side of the LOC or just over it

... the eeriye simultaneously tells the CAP to engage and cover the F16D, whilst the M3's and bandars are sent home asap...

...bison presses home the attack on the D but lucky targeting from the CAP gets him. the fact that its not a devastating explosion killing him suggests that he almost beat the amraam (and therefore the cap was still quite far away)

all PAF assets now scoot asap back over the IB whilst IAF resumes CAP over nowshera as per battle plan.

limited engagement with strict rules and limited scope for escalation

other point to note:
looking at the footage of what appears to be the F16 drop tank again, the jagged metal is more likely to be a piece of the wing or fuselage rather than the pylon. it is skin rather than member, so suggesting that the tank was not dropped but blasted/ripped off the fuselage
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Another link when WC Abhi was been taken away from the crowd. Not linking it here.

Direct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkxbP9aqZo

Constant words about doosra bhanda..

Warning: Distressing scenes, WC Abhi is injured. Watch with caution.
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

Under what circumstances would a Squadron's CO Sahab normally ride in a two-seater?

- He was not fully operational due to health/long leave, so he sat in the back seat?
- He wanted to direct the whole engagement as 'Air Boss' from the back seat?
- He was the one tasked with shooting down an Indian fighter, so he wanted to concentrate on flying and so was carrying a backseater as WSO?
- He was carrying 'somebody important' as an observer.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Look mama what I found.. with dates :D

Can someone save it before it gets taken down...

nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The same afsar who was talking pictures of mig 21 is near the F16 drop tank. What a coincidence to find a drop tank near Mig21 crash.

Can anyone geo locate the place ?

All of these photos are from the same camera. Someone was running around taking photos...with dates. I found more photos of Mig 21 debris with dates and the same afsar..
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Gents,

This is parachute canopy from MB ejection seats. Guess which aircraft has MB seats and which doesn't.

Ahem

Can anyone link to videos where eyewitness said Parachutists had Indian flags?
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

:rotfl: :rotfl: at the effing pakis who lynched their own piously Islamic f16 pilot sporting beard,beating him to pulp thinking he was a "Sikh" coming down in a 'Bhaarti' "Tricolor" standard issue ACES ejection seat parachutes of f16.
The Mig 21 Bison had the russian SK-1 ejection seats with bicolor parachutes(this is dutty Yahoodi level saajizh i say lol).

The poor pakjabi bugger with his beard and "Sikh" pagdi like white helmet innercap must have threatened them with his hand gun in "chaste punjabi" after which the more Paki than the Pakjabi(hahahaha :rotfl: ) Horan-Kotla Mirpuris snuffed him as a gang.

Rishi wrote:
Khalsa wrote: ....A lot of the videos mention that they recogonised because they saw the Indian Flag on the parachutes. I want to go facepalm at that time. ....
Hey Sammy,
Martin Baker seats have tricolour parachutes (orange, white, dark green). Connect the dots?

Last edited by Lilo on 11 Mar 2019 20:01, edited 7 times in total.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The same afsar near the Mig 21 engine.. I am now thinking drop tank & this engine piece fell in a different place compared to the main body in Horran.

Ever since I saw the video and images, I could not help notice this area is much greener than Horran village. May be I am wrong.

nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

We need to geolocate this place. I have a feeling this is a different place.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

nam wrote:We need to geolocate this place. I have a feeling this is a different place.
Check Samir @obretix geolocation guesses
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Baba of Horran seems to have mistaken Abhinandan for a Sikh (due to the mooch?) He says the pilot they handed over was Sikh
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

nam wrote:Look mama what I found.. with dates :D

Can someone save it before it gets taken down...
Nam ji, any more pictures from this series? I want to try and get some more identifying features.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACES_II

F16 uses ACES2 seat as does all of usaf a/c

both both the new and old canopies used by ACES2 have the indian tricolour :((

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... tion-seat/

http://www.parachuteshop.com/C-9_surplus_parachute.htm

https://www.qimtek.co.uk/sites/default/ ... 0small.JPG

I think NATO has this colour scheme same across all countries to have a common rescue manual and maybe pattern matching from imagery sats & drones looking for downed flyers.

so thing of it this way. 2-3 indian tricolour parachutes comes down in same area, both pilots wear the same kind of dress and wings. one looks pukka sardarji with a white cap and beard......
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

in which vid does the person allude to tricolor ( color of the parachute??).
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Singha wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACES_II

F16 uses ACES2 seat as does all of usaf a/c

both both the new and old canopies used by ACES2 have the indian tricolour :((

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... tion-seat/

http://www.parachuteshop.com/C-9_surplus_parachute.htm

https://www.qimtek.co.uk/sites/default/ ... 0small.JPG

I think NATO has this colour scheme same across all countries to have a common rescue manual and maybe pattern matching from imagery sats & drones looking for downed flyers.
My bad! I had assumed MB seats were standard across NATO. Mea culpa. But- tricolour parachute point seems to stand
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

plus survival - orange to be found, green/sand to hide...
parachute would be something you'd need to rig up emergency shelter
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Damn all this discussion cause those aircraft fell 3-4 Km west, atleast the wind could have blown the parachuting pilots east. Such is karma
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

...and what colour are IAF parachutes, especially on Russian heritage ejection seats?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^^ it cannot be any other way - both martin baker and ACES use the same tricolour parachute. JF17 uses martin baker.

Mig21 uses a seat called KM-1. someone from IAF can clarify what colour chute the Migs use. It could be white or 101% halal green :mrgreen:
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Ardeshir wrote: Nam ji, any more pictures from this series? I want to try and get some more identifying features.
This is another one:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1YWSYxXcAAtM9j.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1YWSZmWwAAHV0F.jpg

Hope this helps.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Lalmohan wrote:...and what colour are IAF parachutes, especially on Russian heritage ejection seats?
White and orange
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

russian su24 parachute in syria was white with a orange ring.
Mig25 braking parachute is also white and orange.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

so with pilots falling KMS away from the planes, not a surprise the awaam pounced on all pilots as yindu seeing the bright parachute colours.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

FSolah ACES2 parachute (2016 photo)
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Rishi wrote:
nam wrote:We need to geolocate this place. I have a feeling this is a different place.
Check Samir @obretix geolocation guesses
Thanks. Based on his attempt, it is a different place. South West of Horran.

https://twitter.com/obretix/status/1102559186121080833

Given that the tail with heavy engine cannot "glide", this is the area where the Mig21 must have been shot. WC Abhi must have been trying to fly back and got hit. Flew North till horran then the Mig 21 came down.

Drop tanks generally fall behind the position of the jet..
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i have a theory... Indian flag is Saffron/white/green ...Paki flag is green/white. So if Paki flag painted on the plane, white will be next to grey( the a/c color). In the pic of the engine/with a PA soldier/old man looking on, I see white next to the grey ( at a point where the structure is bent). Had the picture been taken from where old man is standing , the flag will be visible. In the pic , i see white bordered by grey. Do u guys also see white/grey combo??
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i beleive anybody who maintains Mig 21 or F16 can easily tell from the engine pic as to the real identity??
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

manjgu wrote:i beleive anybody who maintains Mig 21 or F16 can easily tell from the engine pic as to the real identity??
The only non-MiG21 part from videos and pix so far seems to be the drop tank. Everything else has been traced to the MiG. (Please correct me if I am wrong?)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Habal, very good find. It could be him, despite the difference in name.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

habal wrote:kindly peruse through this video

https://youtu.be/lpg0ULKQQQs

W/C Shahbaz Haider of No 19 Sherdils Squadron. PAF F-16 pilot.
As per the disreputable site you may have visited:
A few years ago, he received the best Combat Commander trophy at the Graduation Ceremony of Combat Commanders School (CCS).
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

Rishi wrote:Gents,

This is parachute canopy from MB ejection seats. Guess which aircraft has MB seats and which doesn't.

Ahem

Ohh shit!!! I can now see how Pakistanis would mistake their own pilot as Indian :rotfl: This is so ridiculous! PAF would now have to replace all their parachutes in F-16s to avoid getting lynched by their own people in future :rotfl: On a side note, this sadly kills the theory that POK people killed the PAF pilot because of hatred for PAF. It was an honest mistake, nothing else.
ankitash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ankitash »

Rishi wrote: Gents,

Ahem

Here's a source about Abhinandan's capture - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47397418
Horran's village chief recounted Wednesday's dramatic capture in an interview with the BBC.

"My objective was to capture the pilot alive. I had seen the Indian flag on his parachute and knew he was Indian," said Mohammad Razzaq Chaudhry.
Dumb Pakis :rotfl:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Lalmohan wrote:..bison presses home the attack on the D but lucky targeting from the CAP gets him. the fact that its not a devastating explosion killing him suggests that he almost beat the amraam (and therefore the cap was still quite far away)
If self-goals counted, India would be World Cup champs.
Can you please point me to the EVIDENCE that the MiG was hit by a Paki missile, please? Until then, the only explanation is that it was a piece of debris from the F-16 that hit the MiG.
This thing about "only a slight explosion, nearly missed" is pretty far-fetched.
As for the 2 Pakis bailing out, the explanation is very simple: As soon as they realized that the MiG's missile had a lock and their soaring for the sun did not work (or maybe they went into a stall) they did the Paki thing and leaped out. Missile hit well after they bailed out. Reason why there is no large F-16 wreckage is that it disintegrated at around 300 meters and the pieces just fluttered down over a wide area. But very clearly the MiG pilot did no such thing: he stayed on until after he had confirmed the hit on the F-16.
So sequence:
Strike Package blah-blah
Fire AMRAAMs generally across the LOC.
F-16 shines laser on Brigade HQ so the Strike Package could glide their laser-guided bombs to the target.
Indian CAP sees them, and shakes off the AMRAAMs.
Strike Package turns tail - but first set of bums have been released.
F-16 turns tail when they realize they are the prey.
Laser TRIES to keep up (see early descriptions of modern LGB) but quickly loses. Probably the F-16 herrows forgot to turn off the laser guidance, so their own bombs now glided nicely down to whatever the laser was illuminating - 0n the Pak side. You see why those POKis were so mad?
F-16 busy trying to dodge the MiG, does climb and dive in desperation. MiG STAYS ON TAIL, and closes in before locking to fire. Once missile locked, warning goes off in F-16 cockpit, and herrows PUNCH OUT.

Missile hits F-16 tailpipe directly in front of MiG> Here maybe WingCdr Abhi was surprised: He would have expected the F-16 to pull a last desperate dive, but NOOOOOOO!!!! The herrows were already sailing through the air! Plane stayed straight and level. Right in front of the MiG which was closing at Mach 0.5 relative speed.
Whammo!!! R-73 blows the F-16 apart.
MiG unfortunately has to fly through the detonation, which spreads at ~ Mach 10. Lucky that the cockpit did not get hit. Plane becomes unfliable, MiG pilot ejects.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The main remaining question is WHY the POKis killed the pilots. Because they thought they were INDIAN, or PAKISTANI? I lean towards the latter. The guy whom they called "Sikh" was beaten up, and may be the one who died in hospital. The other one was lynched and buried because they KNEW he was PAF.

The Indian also got into some exchange of pleasantries but I think they only intended to capture him and hand him over.

Point is, with the pilots clearly identified as Pakis, they had no great intention to hand over to PA, at least in one case - and sadly I think that was the WingCo bin Air Marshal.

Another point: WingCdr Abhi took out his pistol and scared the POKis before trying to make a run for it.
WHY DID THE PAF PILOTS NOT DO SO?
Another point: Now I see that F-16 parachute is SAFFRON!!!!!! :rotfl:
So they saw these two SAFFRON parachutes gliding in across the LOC and went to greet/rob them in the traditional manner in which POKis greet visitors - then they saw those were PAF, so they killed them. :mrgreen:
Last edited by UlanBatori on 11 Mar 2019 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the parachute even has a hole in middle, with strings forming the hated ashoka chakra.

surely a no brainer for the awaam swarming around to thrash the kuffar.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

3 pilots ejected. 2 in one colour parachute and 1 in a different colour. Surely 1 TFTA has downed 2 SDRES in saffron parachutes. Bhat is there to think so much before lynching, hainji?
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

habal wrote:kindly peruse through this video

https://youtu.be/lpg0ULKQQQs

W/C Shahbaz Haider of No 19 Sherdils Squadron. PAF F-16 pilot.

Excellent find Habal. This is him allright. Everything tallies. So we got the name correct but messed up the last name. Looks like it was a false flag operation by Pakis. They deliberately leaked with false last name to make sure we trip, and we did trip ! They must have thought we would have known the name of the pilot through intelligence and wanted to discredit the information. Lets spread the word gentlemen ! Let the PAF pilot come forth if hes alive !
Shivaji
BRFite

Post by Shivaji »

This video from India today has its Pakistani reporter visiting Mig 21 crash site. Can be of help to understand geography of the region. Has interaction with local as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7blwdy ... e=youtu.be

Apologies if already posted.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

this was the bholari sherdils group pic in 2018 - pilots will move around and the pakis being as devious as they are, can put up any strawman.

another one older one