Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

Post by ramana »

Folks all these years we prided ourselves that BRF is ahead of the curve and all that.
What we have been reduced to commenting on someone posting on Twitter.
Where is originality of thought or analysis of what's being tweeted?
I ask all of you why are you on BRF?
Just time pass?
Is that why you registered and put up with the process?
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

+108 saar
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

Briefly saw on flightradar Embraer just south of Isloo. Now c130 Hercules over mid Pukistan
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

ramana wrote:Folks all these years we prided ourselves that BRF is ahead of the curve and all that.
What we have been reduced to commenting on someone posting on Twitter.
Where is originality of thought or analysis of what's being tweeted?
I ask all of you why are you on BRF?
Just time pass?
Is that why you registered and put up with the process?
Sorry, not intended that. Yeh, getting little bit carried away by those tweets.

Information this time is scarcely available. Reliable sources are not giving out details so people are trying to make sense out of anything available on social media. I have been following SM heavily since air strike and BRF is the only place where truth is dissected from the cover of lies and rumors.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

Kindly remember, the whole point of disinfo is to mix truth and lies. I don't know whoever is tweeting whatever; I don't follow tweetar.

Somehow, it seems beneath the dignity of BRF to spend so much time/attention on one unattributed tweetar-stream. It seems like a distraction. Is this really the best 'time pass' for Rakshaks? Supposedly, there is an "infowar" in full swing, and those seeking-out feel-good moments should perhaps consider if they're being distracted from "the fight".

Just sayin'....
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

The choice right now is between parsing half-truths/half-lies served either as Banarasi paan or as unappetizing and opinion filled swill from mainstream sources. Baba is at least honest in his disingenuity and one heck of a poet.

Social media is a reality we can no longer ignore. Nowadays I frequent BRF for SM gossip more than anything else. Let’s not forget where news about Balakot first broke.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Our present to Pak. Can anyone make out if it is 155MM?

Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

Looks like an unexploded small caliber mortar shell
Snehashis
BRFite

Post by Snehashis »

155 mms are bigger.

nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I think it is 105MM.

A Pak 105 on our side, made in 1956!

Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Where is SSridhar ayya? Been missing his insights on these matters.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

nam wrote:I think it is 105MM.

This shows how vulnerable they are. They are scraping at the bottom of the barrel for ammo & have no money to buy more.

Imagine how much it costs them to scramble their F-16’s everytime IAF does a bull charge at their border and then backs off at the last minute. This is not even counting their regular nightly CAP’s. How many take off & landing cycles can their AMRAAM’s take & they can’t buy more - even if they had the money.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Folks please post pics of any interesting hardware shown off on pak day parade yesterday
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

IIRC it is today
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

23-Mar
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

1956 could be part of batch no as well?? if it was 2056 no one would have said anything !! i serioulsy doubt they would use a 60 year old round !! i mean after launching a few AMRAAM s with no results on feb 27th , they could be carrying dummy AMRAAMs ( kidding).
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Manjgu, at Kargil we used 250lb Spanish bombs imported for use by the Gnats/Ajeets, and which had been lying in some warehouse since the 70's.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... PCamp.html
Enough equipment was found to make twelve aircraft at any given time, capable of delivering bombs. However bombs were not readily available to suit, so a search was made of the IAF Inventory. Vintage 250kg bombs from the 1970’s that were made in Spain for the HAL Ajeet aircraft and had been in storage were found and made available. A one off trial was carried out from Jaisalmer over the Porkoran Range on the 1st June and was deemed to be successful. They were immediately rushed into service with the Mirages of 7 Squadron. Initial missions were flown using dumb bombs only.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Russians used moss covered ww2 bombs from urals caves in aecond invasion of chechnya
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The reason why it did not explode is probably because it is a 1956 piece.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nam where did you find the pictures? Also where is the fuze for that shell?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

if they are indeed scrapping the bottom of the barrel ... makes me the happiest person on earth. However, I stay close to ordnance depot and the folks regularly dispose off old ammo.. so there are often loud explosions which shake our houses. some people i know there, tell me they regularly dispose off old stock .
Droneacharya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Droneacharya »

nam wrote:I think it is 105MM.

http://www.pof.gov.pk/download/POF_Catalogue_2018.pdf

Pakistan Ordanance Factory (Est. 1951) lists specifications of this 105 mm howitzer round on page 52 of their product catalogue.
vishals
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vishals »

not sure if it's posted already. Few details came earlier in Reuter's article but not a mention of 12 batteries (that's 2 regiments with about 144 brahmos missiles). Brahmos 861 & 862 Regiment?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... DNqcM.html

India, Pakistan came close to firing missiles at each other on February 27

HT Source: key Cabinet Committee of Security (CCS) member, Indian and Pakistani diplomats, office of the US National Security Advisor (NSA), and intelligence officials

Key Points:
India and Pakistan came perilously close to firing missiles at each other on February 27
Indian army’s deployment of 12 short-range surface-to-surface missile batteries in Rajasthan
India was prepared for the worst if any bodily harm came to Wing Commander Varthaman
Pakistani leadership believed the attack would be carried out sometime between 9 pm and 10 pm on February 27
PM Modi gave green signal to all measures if any harm came to the IAF officer at the hands of Pakistan Army
Rawalpindi GHQ on the same day (February 27) to inform Delhi that it would release the pilot
milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

Another article that makes educated guesses on Balakot
THE QUESTION IS: were the Mirage 2000s using the Israeli SPICE 2000? While undoubtedly, the SPICE 2000 ‘operates on pre-recorded GPS coordinates’, and the weapon’s ‘advanced identification and processing abilities can reportedly help overcome jamming efforts’, the public announcement of its usage may have been a decoy. My guess is that the Mirage 2000 which fired the ordnance was armed with the Israeli Delilah Cruise Missile. Delilah is a cruise missile capable of deceiving even the much-vaunted Trumpf S-400 Russian air defence system and can loiter over a contested area before hitting the target. Delilah has a range of 250 km and can penetrate any air defence system. This is why the Pakistani air defences were clueless as to what was hurtling through the skies towards Balakot.
http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... connection
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

SAR that collects heat signatures? Sigh.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Heavy m*st*rbtion in that article. :roll: :mrgreen:
I-US-I conspiracy!
Having confirmed that whatever number of terrorists were in the land of nod, RISAT-2 transmitted this information to the designated IAF Phalcon AWACS that was controlling this attack. All of this would have happened in under 15 minutes. The Phalcon then transmitted the go-ahead to the Flight Leader of the Mirage 2000s to launch their ordnance. While this was in progress, it is presumed because of the sensitivity involved in this virgin exercise, Site IV of the US National Command Authorities (NCA) Ground Based Electro-Optical Deep Space Surveillance System (GEODSS) at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean was also patched in. :eek: :lol: Diego Garcia in turn would be directly connected to the USAF Space Command Space Defence Centre (SPADOC) at the Cheyenne Mountain Complex. This in turn would have patched in the Pentagon. :lol:
The PAF used H4 Stand Off Weapon (SOW) in this attack. It has a terminal guidance system based on an infrared homing seeker, which identifies the target during the final stage of flight. Designed to hit targets till 120 km, the bomb may have the capability to evade radar. This is based on technology copied from the South African T-Darter BVR missile and in this particular case was susceptible to being jammed by the IAF’s IR Jammers which disabled the H4, confusing the infrared seekers placed in the cone of the H4. :lol: Furthermore, it is my guess that the IAF Phalcon controlling this dogfight was armed with the Rafael Sky Shield EW pod :roll: :lol: which can protect an entire fighter formation. All the AMRAAM’s fired by the PAF F16s and similar Chinese missiles fired by the PAF JF-17s, were disabled and flew harmlessly by. The entire battle will have to be broken down and diagnosed to decipher how the missile that downed Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman’s MiG- 21 Bison was able to penetrate the Sky Shield. Thereafter, heavy pressure from all of its benefactors, excepting China, compelled Pakistan to return Varthaman.
Incidentally, all of the information in this article is available on the internet and only requires the skill to join the dots.
:-?
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

vishals wrote: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... DNqcM.html

India, Pakistan came close to firing missiles at each other on February 27

HT Source: key Cabinet Committee of Security (CCS) member, Indian and Pakistani diplomats, office of the US National Security Advisor (NSA), and intelligence officials

Key Points:
India and Pakistan came perilously close to firing missiles at each other on February 27
Indian army’s deployment of 12 short-range surface-to-surface missile batteries in Rajasthan
Because Bahawalpur and other counter terror targets are opposite where those batteries were placed. Munir knows what those batteries are there to do. Connect the dots on Ganganagar - drones being shot down etc. In the end the clowns "seized" the sites.
India was prepared for the worst if any bodily harm came to Wing Commander Varthaman
I think the meaning of this statement has been lost in the article. The GoI is only selectively releasing info on what exactly happened & what GoI plans were for 27 Feb.
Research and Analysis Wing secretary Anil Dhasmana communicating to his Pakistan counterpart Inter Services Intelligence chief Lt Gen Asim Munir that there would be an escalation in the Indian offensive if the pilot was harmed.
Again the choice of words are wrong and unfortunately misleading.
Meanwhile, Pakistan was also told to back off from the precipice by the US, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, they added. While the US Centcom commander talked to Rawalpindi GHQ, both Bolton and Pompeo used their influence in Islamabad to release Wing Commander Varthaman. The IAF officer was released on March 1.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

the question is when do operations get over. Not that I want them to over, but this operation has to end and ongoing operations have to start taking place.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

ArjunPandit wrote:the question is when do operations get over. Not that I want them to over, but this operation has to end and ongoing operations have to start taking place.
I believe the objective is to stop terrorist attacks on India coming from Pakistan and Pakistan Occupied Kashmir. Operations should continue indefinitely, however if a non-nationalist government is elected come the end of May, then I suspect operations will end by May 30, 2019.

We must understand that, as much as we in BRF would like the death and dismemberment of Pakistan as the objective, Operation Balakot is not about that objective. This is about terrorism and not re-drawing boundaries. Terrorism must stop.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Mort Walker wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:the question is when do operations get over. Not that I want them to over, but this operation has to end and ongoing operations have to start taking place.
I believe the objective is to stop terrorist attacks on India coming from Pakistan and Pakistan Occupied Kashmir. Operations should continue indefinitely, however if a non-nationalist government is elected come the end of May, then I suspect operations will end by May 30, 2019.

We must understand that, as much as we in BRF would like the death and dismemberment of Pakistan as the objective, Operation Balakot is not about that objective. This is about terrorism and not re-drawing boundaries. Terrorism must stop.

Redrawing boundaries is one way to force the Pakistani's to stop terrorism. It could as small as one post at a time.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Can someone who is good with GE compare PA positions in Haji Pir pass with historical ones?

I feel there are artillery marks around bunkers near Haji Pir Shrine, however i am not good at getting the dates.

By the way, if someone thinks we can get Haji pir pass llike in 65... we are being delusional. The pass is well fortified and would require heavy plastering by IAF to make a dent.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Mort Walker wrote:

Balakot is a watershed moment as India seeks to establish its global credentials.

The utility of Balakot is to demonstrate India's resolve and disabuse Pakistan of some fantastical notions.India did not do this ten years ago not because of Pakistan's boasts but because they were still useful to the US. The US is seeking to disengage, Pakistan will have to deal directly with India.Notice how not one rabid jihadi in the Pakistan military or fig leaf government dare utter the term atami takat. The myth of nuclear blackmail is demolished, the awam will note this humiliation of their lords.

India has collapsed another cherished Pakistani delusion has into reality. Those twenty-two insurgencies in India were put on hold. They saw that their main nemesis in India were in fact Sikhs-from the IAF chief to the Northern Army commander. The air force wing commander case was the best of all. I can just hear the film dialogue now..."I am Hindu....I am from the deep South", he seemed to have forgotten his nation was one of the 22 insurgents. And now it is becoming clear that the Northerners had threatened to go to war unless he was released.
tapan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by tapan »

VikramS wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:

Redrawing boundaries is one way to force the Pakistani's to stop terrorism. It could as small as one post at a time.
https://youtu.be/S1Nn6TYUoSg

I belive we are in the defencive offence mode today and the strategy to get Pakistan to lose Balochitan is in play.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Balakot after effects are all about turning the pressure onto Pak, so they do something stupid. Lets see.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Another drone was fired on last night by aa guns in ganganagar sector

Escaped back to pak most likely

We should station more akash battery in borders to cheaply get these drones then send aircraft
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ANI/status/1 ... 8079726592

#WATCH Indian Army video of Pakistani base destroyed in Indian firing in Akhnoor sector(J&K), Army sources say upside down Pakistan flag a signal for SOS (extreme danger/distress)
tapan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by tapan »

gaurav.p wrote:

#WATCH Indian Army video of Pakistani base destroyed in Indian firing in Akhnoor sector(J&K), Army sources say upside down Pakistan flag a signal for SOS (extreme danger/distress)
Are we sure it's not surrender ?

Edit - DuckDuckGo'd it. It's a sign of distress only.
Iyersan
BRFite

Post by Iyersan »

gaurav.p wrote:

It seems this was from 2 days ago shelling... i feel there is a complete media blackout even on our side of border. Only selective information being let out by GoI... but we are in propaganda ( infowars)mode... hybrid warfare on
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

1) aakash to shoot down a piddly drone !! and talk of cost savings. bhai aakash missile is also v expensive. a a/c flying has other benefits too. But maybe AA guns were firing at the drone. 2) two pakis killed a 11 year old boy in kashmir who was being used as a human shield...this is paki sponsored terrorism... we need another air strike.
SidSoma
BRFite

Post by SidSoma »

Babaji is a fountain of poetry