Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Operation Balakot: News & Discussion

Post by Singha »

key part is "car driver escaped" and "urea" - has he escaped the crpf and absconded? if so, its a attack.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

Singha wrote:
key part is "car driver escaped" and "urea" - has he escaped the crpf and absconded? if so, its a attack.
Some quoting driver escaped the blast/fire, not the area.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

https://theprint.in/defence/after-balak ... es/214587/

As I expected, push for Ramjet BVR. SFDR will get major focus as well.

Ability to chase PAF jets for 100 KM in full powered mode.
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

Babaji says 2 PA brigadiers killed - Tattapani and Athmuqam sectors. Unconfirmed in media. Tattapani is south of Poonch and Athmuqam is in Neelum valley.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

i just realized the PAF F16s do not have AAR as they are build for the refueling probe that Midas tankers never had. so it has to rely on internal fuel and
[1] 2 or 3 x 300gal supersonic drop tanks on air cover mission ...with these it can still go to mach1.6 - all AFs have them.
[2] 2 x 600 gal subsonic drop tank for strike mission - these it would dump if it has to escape - pakis have them too , or it could take 2x300 gal for strike if range is ok.

the only ones that have CFT are the 18 or so "gold" block52 that have CFTs. these can fly with less drag and retain the internal fuel.
these will be the ones tasked with the deepest strike missions with the best weapons (JDAMS/LGBs) on targets in north and west india like key bridges, railway yards, refineries and power plants. they also have the best ECM of the fleet.

I suspect the typical air combat A2A load is 2 x 300gal supersonic tanks and maybe the long loitering CAP director role they use 3x300 or 2x600( 2 seaters) - this is anyway now taken over by awacs controllers.

also going by pics a unknown subset of the MirageIII/V fleet have the refueling probes and rest do not. not all seem to have.

they have 4 midas refuelers. russia/ukraine make good money selling IL76, Mi17, Mi24 and ofcourse RD93 to pakistan.

the mirages will be retired in phases starting next year and JF17 will take over. again, as of now only unknown subset of JF17 has the refueling probe.

I guess the Midas are mostly tasked to keep the AWACS up as long as possible ... and may selectively be used over the sea if Mirages are sent for a really long range attack like on mumbai, karwar or goa but starting off far west in pasni or ormara to mask their approach in hopes of bagging some ships in port.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Meteor too will suffer from the same limits on number of takeoffs and landings it can handle before needing a factory refurbishment.

for a long years of hot 'peace' , there is no option but the SFDR, astra mk1 and astra mk2 as these can produced much more than a few meteors and refurbished at IAF BRDs with BDL help

also there is no harm in speculative shots with micas, R530, AA10 and AA12 in direction of PAF fighters. sure most will miss at 40km distance and alert fighters but it will force them to keep flying with missiles and using up life.

there cannot be any return to normal in the air space and on the border.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Singha wrote:Meteor too will suffer from the same limits on number of takeoffs and landings it can handle before needing a factory refurbishment.

for a long years of hot 'peace' , there is no option but the SFDR, astra mk1 and astra mk2 as these can produced much more than a few meteors and refurbished at IAF BRDs with BDL help
most such weapons do because the unpowered sensors are affected by the shock.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

we need to hitherto refer all AAM in terms of mtbo. This will seperate the men from the boys and reduce clatter of imports as panachea for lack of domestic capacities.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

There is no choice but go full steam with Astra 1/2 and SFDR. Drive down PAF Aim120 stock with aggressive moves. We will be hit on our CCM stocks. Atleast for BVR we have local means.

PAF has made a good decision in pulling up numbers using JF17. It will help them retain those F16 for real shooting. With supplies from Chini for those JF17. If the ballon had gone up, it may not be a shining star, however in hot peace, it is very useful.

We are not in a ideal situation and will be expensive fielding Su30 during "no war no peace" CAP. Mig21s are long in their tooth.

IAF will be sorely missing the LCA. We have no choice. I guess some of the yearly training hours would be converted in to CAP.
Shivaji
BRFite

Post by Shivaji »

Few more Paki army casualties from urdu keyword search on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ZiDiiBloch/status/1 ... 5909819392
https://twitter.com/Amna_IK/status/1111179311724355584
https://twitter.com/TeamPak_Army/status ... 1336233984

First tweet has Bajwa in the picture and funeral is said to be of a Colonel. Tweet is dated 28th March meaning he was part of our action on 24th March wherein Helicopters were seen to be ferrying dead officers
Vivasvat
BRFite

Post by Vivasvat »

Shivaji wrote: https://twitter.com/ZiDiiBloch/status/1 ... 5909819392

Bajwa in the picture and funeral is said to be of a Colonel. Tweet is dated 28th March meaning he was part of our action on 24th March wherein Helicopters were seen to be ferrying dead officers
PA 33901(Col. Sohail Abid)
HQ 304 SVY SEC
Shivaji
BRFite

Post by Shivaji »

When I searched him on internet, one Col Sohail Abid from Military Intelligence is said to be martyred in Balochistan on 17 May, 2018...

Two Colonels of same name or tweet text misleading...
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

As per this user, Pinaka Dhanush used to destroy armoured vehicles

https://twitter.com/ind4ever/status/111 ... 90658?s=21
Last edited by AdityaM on 31 Mar 2019 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
Vivasvat
BRFite

Post by Vivasvat »

Shivaji wrote:When I searched him on internet, one Col Sohail Abid from Military Intelligence is said to be martyred in Balochistan on 17 May, 2018...

Two Colonels of same name or tweet text misleading...
It was the label on the coffin in the embedded picture.
Vivasvat
BRFite

Post by Vivasvat »

AdityaM wrote:As per this user, Pinaka used to destroy armoured vehicles

He said Sanskrit BOW used. Picture is of Dhanush!
Last edited by Vivasvat on 30 Mar 2019 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Vivasvat wrote:
AdityaM wrote:As per this user, Pinaka used to destroy armoured vehicles

He said Sanskrit BOW used.
Dhanush!
No! What is meaning of Pinaka?
Vivasvat
BRFite

Post by Vivasvat »

AdityaM wrote:
Vivasvat wrote: He said Sanskrit BOW used.
Dhanush!
No! What is meaning of Pinaka?
Picture in the tweet is of Dhanush, not Pinaka
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

lol. True that. My mind was stuck with the naval Dhanush. Forgot about the howitzer
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Oke more thing the 500 jdams in their kitty will not be privy to the mil grade gps signal
They do have access to the mil grade beidou signal but cheeni pgms not good like jdam and cannot be carried by solah or mirages only bandars are it for cheen side of their ecosystem

Unless they are able to please massa the usa side of their goodies will wither and as seen in israel slovakia case none can sell their second hand solahs without usa approval so those juicy turkish solahs are not certain

They will logically double down on bandar and look to get the best cheeni weapons

Likewise we must double down on tejas

Its a new contest between india and china now with pak as the disposable proxy
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Pinaka is the specific personal bow of Lord Shiva. Dhanush simply means Bow.

Other legendary bows: Gandiva of Arjun, Sharanga of Lord Vishnu
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

IOW, Sita wouldn't have been married to Rama w/ breaking the pinAka (the other one is zAranGa).:)
Last edited by SaiK on 30 Mar 2019 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Although it might seem logical that Pak will go for Chini maal out and out, historically they have kept two or more sources like IAF.

They still have hope with F16. And historically Chini maal has always been Tier 2 like J7. Bhandar is anyway replacing J7 and Mirages.

I have a niggling feeling that they would ask for F35 for their 5 gen needs(and as Afghan blood money), in case our F16/18 deal falls through or we get Su57. I am pretty sure US will oblige. Only if US refuses would they consider FC31.

Out of 350 jets, Bhandar would fill up 200-240. Retain 2 sqd of F16. That leaves space for additional 50-60 jets. I am not yet in mood to believe it will be another Chini jet.

Too many eggs in the same basket. Regarding money, Chinis would be happy to fund a sqd of F35 for PAF....
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Singha wrote: They will logically double down on bandar and look to get the best cheeni weapons
Going all Chini would make life easier for us. One reason, i am not convinced it will all China for PAF.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Dileep wrote:Pinaka is the specific personal bow of Lord Shiva. Dhanush simply means Bow.

Other legendary bows: Gandiva of Arjun, Sharanga of Lord Vishnu
Also Vijaya, Vishwakarma's bow for Lord Shiva given to Indra, then Parshuram then Karna.
Just realized 3 are in service.

Pinaka, Dhanush, Sharang and Gandiva (unofficial name of Arjun MBTs 120mm) all in service.

Lets have FMBT as Vijaya. :evil:
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

https://twitter.com/Ind4Ever/status/111 ... 26496?s=19

This twitter handle reporting heavy firing on LoC . Says, Condition on LoC might get out of control. It also talks of tank movements both sides of IB. Something brewing.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Just love the praises Swati WLR is getting. Karan, you have any idea on what improvements might be incorporated in to future versions of Swati?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

AESA version for sure, as we improve our module packaging, density.
BTW, Parrikar sir had asked DRDO to make an AESA one so that we could export the PESA.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Chinmayanand wrote:https://twitter.com/Ind4Ever/status/111 ... 26496?s=19

This twitter handle reporting heavy firing on LoC . Says, Condition on LoC might get out of control. It also talks of tank movements both sides of IB. Something brewing.
The second attempted VBIED (if it was one) represents a serious escalation after the Pulwama aftermath and could be the trigger for this.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Zynda wrote:Just love the praises Swati WLR is getting. Karan, you have any idea on what improvements might be incorporated in to future versions of Swati?
I think I saw a poster on Swati MK2, which was meant for mountains. There was no specification, so I don't know what it means.

We definitely need a AESA version for multi-target tracking during mass attack, which would potentially lead to a desi Iron Dome.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

If the LOC Is this hot & border also uncertain, then how is it possible that the Indian Neww media is calm & quiet.
Media would never stay quiet if something was afoot.

So are these anonymous twitter accounts peddling false news??
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

Through the flames of Pulwama
Behold a heroine emerge
Her name is Swati
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

nam wrote:I have a niggling feeling that they would ask for F35 for their 5 gen needs(and as Afghan blood money), in case our F16/18 deal falls through or we get Su57. I am pretty sure US will oblige.
It can now be assumed that anything given to the pakis will be given access to the Chinese; that should be enough to keep unkil from selling the F-35 regardless of other realpolitik.
Mihaylo
BRFite

Post by Mihaylo »

yensoy wrote:
nam wrote:I have a niggling feeling that they would ask for F35 for their 5 gen needs(and as Afghan blood money), in case our F16/18 deal falls through or we get Su57. I am pretty sure US will oblige.
It can now be assumed that anything given to the pakis will be given access to the Chinese; that should be enough to keep unkil from selling the F-35 regardless of other realpolitik.

I don't see Uncle selling the Pakis anything of value in the future.

-M
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Exactly.

Whether it is for an executive role, a system admin role, or an intelligence role, companies and government agencies do a background check on candidates, and a big part of this background check involves credit worthiness. A candidate with an otherwise spotless record but who is credit extended is deemed to be a risk because he/she may be coerced into compromising information as a payoff for fixing their broken finances. In many cases such individuals may continue to exercise poor financial judgment, may gamble their earnings, and be prime targets for corrupt practices.

Pakistan is that candidate. Piss poor finances and a track record of terrible financial judgment. Even if the dems were to take over, our lobbyists need to remind Foggy Bottom that naya pakistan is beholden to the Chinese, Saudis and other inimical powers, and anything given to them will fall into the wrong hands in a matter of hours.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

nam wrote:
Zynda wrote:Just love the praises Swati WLR is getting. Karan, you have any idea on what improvements might be incorporated in to future versions of Swati?
I think I saw a poster on Swati MK2, which was meant for mountains. There was no specification, so I don't know what it means.

We definitely need a AESA version for multi-target tracking during mass attack, which would potentially lead to a desi Iron Dome.
Mountain Swati is just like City/Plains Swati, just split across fewer vehicles and more compact. Both in production. Not Mk2 etc.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

yensoy wrote:
Pak could not get more Blk52 (the same version used by USAF), because it wanted it for free, not because US did not sell. If US was so scared, PAF would not have access to Aim120.

Pak will be given access to IMF loan, in 5 odd years with improved economy and Chinese covert finance, they can easily afford 1 or 2 sqd of F35. US will happy sell them. If Pak can use F16Blk52, I don't see why will they not sell F35.

There is enough fruits Pak can offer .. Afghanistan, Iran etc..
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

These baba and other similar accounts linked here are more like Jahil Hamid than anything reliable and useful. There's nothing that serious or covert going on more than the usual. Pakis are firing, Indians are firing back, nothing new. There may or maynot be some new 155mm guns being used, but it's quite obvious that these accounts are just playing to their audience. They are just sensationalising even normal and routine events like regular movement of units from one sector to another and gullible fools are lapping it up.

It is OK for twitter type crowd, but kindly desist from promoting this highly irritating Twitter rumour bullshit here.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Verified account
@ANI
8m8 minutes ago
More
Prime Minister Narendra Modi: Humein duniya ki barabari karni hai. Humne bahut sara samay hamara, India-Pakistan, India- Pakistan mein kharaab kar liya, arre wo apni maut marega to usko chhod do, hum aage nikal chalen.

--
my translation - we have to match the world, we have wasted lot of time in india-pakistan , leave those who will kill themselves, let us move forward.
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Post by Rajiv Lather »

Unsubstantiated Post laden with political overtones deleted , user warned for repeating the same
Last edited by Rajiv Lather on 31 Mar 2019 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

How The Balakot Strike Was Planned And Successfully Executed