Forthcoming Book - Two Front War in 2022

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Re: Forthcoming Book - Two Front War in 2022

Post by Deans »

Klaus wrote:Ordered paperback. Just curious if the characters have same or similar personas & psyche as their real life inspirations?
Some of the main political characters can be identified with those in real life, but the personas are different. The Indian PM is more inclined to let others take the limelight. The Pakistani civilians fight the khakis, the generals are divided, as is the Chinese politburo. The Chinese leader is probably closest to his real life image.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Deans wrote:
williams wrote:I am at the 8th chapter now. A lot of good jingo material! I am still not convinced Khan will provide us so much support. I guess it is possible.
Actually they don't give us that much support. They only tell us what China is upto, which costs them nothing. Also, US-China tensions have progressed three years beyond what they are today. Other things like joint Naval exercises are already a reality.
Deans, what do you make of a video that came out during Dokalam time where a serving senior US navy officer made statements that (paraphrasing here) that if China got frisky, US navy would not sit by idly (paraphrasing). This was at the peak of the Dokalam tensions. That seemed to be more than just a 'they will tell India what China is up to'. (I cannot find that video now but it did not seem fake. It was taken on board a ship of some sort....the comments were a part of a conversation between navy officers and were chatty/casual, not a press meet).
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

SriKumar wrote:
Deans wrote:
Actually they don't give us that much support. They only tell us what China is upto, which costs them nothing. Also, US-China tensions have progressed three years beyond what they are today. Other things like joint Naval exercises are already a reality.
Deans, what do you make of a video that came out during Dokalam time where a serving senior US navy officer made statements that (paraphrasing here) that if China got frisky, US navy would not sit by idly (paraphrasing). This was at the peak of the Dokalam tensions. That seemed to be more than just a 'they will tell India what China is up to'. (I cannot find that video now but it did not seem fake. It was taken on board a ship of some sort....the comments were a part of a conversation between navy officers and were chatty/casual, not a press meet).
My interpretation is what I mention in the book. Navies (USN. Japanese and IN mainly) will collaborate on tracking of Chinese subs, or sharing of
intel. That goes a step beyond joint exercises, but stops short of intervening in a shooting war.
Devdoot
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Devdoot »

Hi Rahul
I got the book yesterday from Amazon. Need to ask you something.
Please send me your email at
devdoot63@gmail.com
Thanks
Devdoot
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Devdoot »

Do not worry. I got your email on the authors page.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Deans wrote:The first five paperback books sold have spelling errors on the rear cover (only) - as a previous poster has pointed out.
They were purchased before the error was flagged. It should be corrected by tomorrow. Happened because of a glitch that prevented me from previewing what I typed and the spellcheck, which works for the rest of the book, not being applicable to covers.

It is greatly embarrassing to me. I am not comfortable with someone purchasing my book with typos of this kind.
If any of you are one of those with one of the 5 paperbacks with errors and wants a replacement, please mail me directly.
No worries! I will keep this as the initial edition! Will go up in value when you are famous!!
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Some have suggested, in their interaction with me, that the extent of India's success in the book is implausible. I agree with that, based on the current situation and say so in the foreword and afterword. However, I argue that the kind of military reforms that I describe, along with for e.g. a more proactive strategy, can get us there, in the not too distant future.

For those unable to review on Amazon (you have to be a previous customer, spending $ 50 for e.g), you can do so on goodreads. Its a simple 'log-in, find book and click' process.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Deans wrote:However, I currently intend to publish commercially (Amazon / Kindle), for the work to be taken more seriously and because part of the proceeds go to the Army Battle casualties fund, which I support.

I would like to mail advance e-copies of the book to the BR community, so that the subject matter experts can give me their feedback and for
all readers to review the work on Amazon once it is officially published.
The book has copyright, so any copies mailed are not for further circulation.
It is 230 pages of A4 single spaced text. Fairly lengthy, if you study the maps etc.

I can be contacted on rp_deans@yahoo.com

Thanks and Jai Hind.
Will buy on Amazon, congratulations on writing and publishing a book.

I'm really interested to see what kind of sales you have. I guess this is self-publishing? Did you try to look for a "traditional" publisher first?

About 10 to 15 years ago, I wanted to publish a book I wrote, and tried many different ways with commercial publishers, and also tried to get an agent. I would describe my effort at the time as pretty strenuous and systematic (it wasn't just a half-hearted effort).

The subject of my book was unfortunately very difficult to place in any genre, and I had zero success in getting any commercial houses interested in the book. Since then I've written two more books, and have not even tried with commercial houses. The subject is simply too India-centric to induce interest in any anglosphere publisher (and those guys anyway prefer negative portrayals of India), and I simply didn't want to try publishing in "Sickular-dominated" India either. The Modi sarkar gives me some hope, praying that he'll be back, and I might have a chance of publishing.

Self-publishing would be the way to go for me too.
Yashu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Yashu »

Purchased the Kindle version today still stuck with it
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

sudarshan wrote:
Will buy on Amazon, congratulations on writing and publishing a book.
I'm really interested to see what kind of sales you have. I guess this is self-publishing? Did you try to look for a "traditional" publisher first?

About 10 to 15 years ago, I wanted to publish a book I wrote, and tried many different ways with commercial publishers, and also tried to get an agent. I would describe my effort at the time as pretty strenuous and systematic (it wasn't just a half-hearted effort).

The subject of my book was unfortunately very difficult to place in any genre, and I had zero success in getting any commercial houses interested in the book. Since then I've written two more books, and have not even tried with commercial houses. The subject is simply too India-centric to induce interest in any anglosphere publisher (and those guys anyway prefer negative portrayals of India), and I simply didn't want to try publishing in "Sickular-dominated" India either. The Modi sarkar gives me some hope, praying that he'll be back, and I might have a chance of publishing.

Self-publishing would be the way to go for me too.
I have self published.As per Amazon, 90% of self published books sell under 100 copies in year 1 and under 250 in all. Fortunately, I've touched
100 at the end of 7 days. Only 40 authors have ever made serious money on Amazon and under 10% would be commercially viable for a publisher (in India it would be the Chetan Bhagat type books). This genre will not be touched. The exception is `vanity' publishing, where, if you are desperate to see your name in print, a publishing house will put it out there and do most of the work for you. That's how a typical politician would publish his biography.

In the process I learnt that its not difficult to self publish. Getting copyright costs Rs 500 + the courier charge of your manuscript. Amazon's paperbacks are print on demand, so they print when someone orders, which removes risk for both author and publisher. I have also done all the writing /proofing etc myself, which can be a bother especially when for e.g. doing maps, or designing the cover - I'm tech challenged.
However, an average publisher can't do better since they have zero understanding of military terminology.
The only problem with self publishing is the higher cost of the paperback in India (due to shipping costs from the US) and the difficulty in posting reviews - you have to have bought US$ 50 on Amazon, before you can review. However, you can rate on goodreads.

Interestingly I have sold more in the US, then in India, (excluding paperbacks that is not available ex India), for a subject that is completely
India centric.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Deans wrote: I have self published.As per Amazon, 90% of self published books sell under 100 copies in year 1 and under 250 in all. Fortunately, I've touched
100 at the end of 7 days.
Back then (>10 years ago) I did self publish also (rather, I got a house to create copies, which they expected me to distribute all by myself). That route is good if you have friends and family lined up to buy, or if you are part of an enthusiast group, who will buy in some quantity. BR probably fills that "enthusiast" role for you, and I suspect most of your 100 copies are orders from BR, friends, and family (not saying that's bad, that's usually how it goes). In my case, I didn't have that supportive (or captive) audience. So my copies that I ordered were almost entirely unsold.
In the process I learnt that its not difficult to self publish.
No, self publishing isn't hard at all, there are some publishing groups which make it really easy. They even get you your own barcode and all that other professional stuff if you want (you can even put the barcode on your book cover). The difficult part is finding buyers after all that :).
Interestingly I have sold more in the US, then in India, (excluding paperbacks that is not available ex India), for a subject that is completely
India centric.
You'd be surprised, there's a sizable jingo audience (jingo towards India I mean, not towards the US) in the USA.

This is all OT for this thread I guess, maybe depending on your sales experience, you could later start a new thread - your experiences with publishing and strategies for sales (whatever you learn from this venture). All the best, and hope you have good sales :).
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Deans wrote:Interestingly I have sold more in the US, then in India, (excluding paperbacks that is not available ex India), for a subject that is completely
India centric.
Sir, any updates on the paperback version in India? Is Amazon is not offerring the option here? I am waiting for that as I prefer reading a physical book.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

sudarshan wrote:Back then (>10 years ago) I did self publish also (rather, I got a house to create copies, which they expected me to distribute all by myself). That route is good if you have friends and family lined up to buy, or if you are part of an enthusiast group, who will buy in some quantity. BR probably fills that "enthusiast" role for you, and I suspect most of your 100 copies are orders from BR, friends, and family (not saying that's bad, that's usually how it goes). In my case, I didn't have that supportive (or captive) audience. So my copies that I ordered were almost entirely unsold.
Sir, I had read your posts on the "how to write a story" thread with great interest. I was actually hoping some of the snippets you had written got published as a full book somewhere :). I especially recall a snippet about a spy returning to a fortress after an undercover op and how the guard at the gate interacts with him. It sounded like historical fiction, genre-wise.

Do you still have your works available somewhere, especially if they are of that genre? I am sure other folks on BRF would be interested too.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

arshyam wrote:
Deans wrote:Interestingly I have sold more in the US, then in India, (excluding paperbacks that is not available ex India), for a subject that is completely
India centric.
Sir, any updates on the paperback version in India? Is Amazon is not offerring the option here? I am waiting for that as I prefer reading a physical book.
Amazon only offers `print on demand' (which is what happens for self published volumes) in about 6 markets, excluding India. It can be ordered on Amazon.com but that has a shipping and customs fee that adds to the cost.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Your book appears in Kindle unlimited. I got your book from there. Do they pay you for that unlimited readers? Please let me know. I have already decided to buy kindle one anyway.

PS: Rating also requires gurus. Give it top rating so that other readers will read it.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Yagnasri wrote:Your book appears in Kindle unlimited. I got your book from there. Do they pay you for that unlimited readers? Please let me know. I have already decided to buy kindle one anyway.

PS: Rating also requires gurus. Give it top rating so that other readers will read it.
I have listed it on kindle unlimited (free) for a limited time. While it is free for KU subscribers, I get a royalty, based on pages read. It is a good win-win situation for readers and authors. While small in absolute terms, it is a higher royalty than a paperback sale, where I've kept cost low, resulting in low royalty for paperback. Kindle unlimited itself usually offers a free trial if you haven't subscribed before.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I subscribed to it for a long time. I do not buy books mostly. After reading few writers like John Grisim who went from being a good legal background novels to a PC BS writer, I stopped buying them. mostly read Historical and Mil fiction and Syfy novels etc. Most of them will be there in Unlimited. So money is saved. I lost most of my hard copy novels amount to some 2000 plus due to rain damage long back. So I do not buy hard-copies nowadays.

Anyway I have a huge collection of soft copies of novels of most of the writers I like. So new buys are not that much. V Ahuja books are already purchased and waiting for his 3rd one.

I will start reading your book soon. After March I have some time now.

I
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Just bought the Kindle version. Will post a review on Amazon once I read it.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

arshyam wrote: Sir, I had read your posts on the "how to write a story" thread with great interest. I was actually hoping some of the snippets you had written got published as a full book somewhere :). I especially recall a snippet about a spy returning to a fortress after an undercover op and how the guard at the gate interacts with him. It sounded like historical fiction, genre-wise.

Do you still have your works available somewhere, especially if they are of that genre? I am sure other folks on BRF would be interested too.
Thank you saar. The story was complete as a book even back then, when I was posting in that thread. I was posting snippets from a completed novel. It's not really historical fiction, kind of in that genre, set in a pseudo-historical setting.

About 5 years ago, I sent it to a couple of BR members for feedback. Not to name any names, but one of them read part of it, then didn't have the time to read more (he's a pretty busy, productive guy, who has multiple projects going on, so I was surprised he could read any of it at all), and the other guy didn't get back (he's also one of the busy kinds, though I don't see him on BR anymore). I don't think the story was that bad, I've got some good reviews on it from unbiased sources elsewhere, and it's also been extensively critiqued by a writing group and improved based on that feedback, just that neither of those guys could get around to really reading it.

The story is in PDF format, not in a book. If anybody is interested, I can send it (if you really have time to read it :)).

I don't want to derail Deans-ji in this thread, I can post a synopsis in another thread - there used to be a couple of "Historical Fiction" threads that Yagnasri started.
sarathy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sarathy »

Deans wrote:
Yagnasri wrote:Your book appears in Kindle unlimited. I got your book from there. Do they pay you for that unlimited readers? Please let me know. I have already decided to buy kindle one anyway.

I have listed it on kindle unlimited (free) for a limited time. While it is free for KU subscribers, I get a royalty, based on pages read. It is a good win-win situation for readers and authors. While small in absolute terms, it is a higher royalty than a paperback sale, where I've kept cost low, resulting in low royalty for paperback. Kindle unlimited itself usually offers a free trial if you haven't subscribed before.
I got it from Kindle Unlimited as well. I will start reading after my current book. :D !
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

We also need to buy gurus. Otherwise how we support Indic writers?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Yagnasri wrote:We also need to buy gurus. Otherwise how we support Indic writers?
In this case, it is to support Army battle casualties, which is where a part of the proceeds go to. I do get royalties from the free version on Kindle unlimited as well. I could simple write a cheque to my cause, but I wanted to write the book, partly to express my thoughts on the subject and partly as my `Seva', to acknowledge the contribution of the services to our country.

It is unfortunate though that barring this forum, there is a general lack of interest in national security in India. I have had more readers in the US than India (excluding the paperback, which has been mostly sold abroad only through Amazon.com).
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

I've reduced the price on kindle to Rs 449 . Its free on Kindle unlimited and if you don't have unlimited there should be a 30 days free trial.

The paperback version from Amazon.com has also got a reduced price (by Amazon) from $ 11.99 to $ 8.64.
I'm not sure if they have figured I'm trying to get this published in India for Rs 599 - which is the price they have suddenly matched.

I got a mail from a Pakistani girl in the US (typical RAPE type), who said its a pretty good depiction of Pakistan !
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

https://sites.google.com/site/brfdictio ... ary/r/rape

It would be good idea to give a link on what RAPE type means for newcomers and non regulars.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

arvin wrote:https://sites.google.com/site/brfdictio ... ary/r/rape

It would be good idea to give a link on what RAPE type means for newcomers and non regulars.
In my book, I've used the word Punjabi instead of Pakistani, when describing the Pak foreign minister as a RAPE, since we already know she is Pakistani.
Her character is similar to another much loved person on this forum `Birkin Babe'.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

I'm happy to mention that the book has got positive reviews on Amazon and goodreads.
I've updated it (removing typos and adding minor points) and the price has been reduced.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07Q29P3M1

Though sales data does not include the paperback version - only available on Amazon.com (US) and the free downloads on kindle unlimited, the
book has broken into the top 10,000 titles on Amazon.in (of 5 million on sale). It will continue to be free on kindle unlimited for a short while (though royalties for my cause - Army battle casualties) will accrue on free downloads.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

An update on the book:
A revised edition is out. (typos corrected and minor additions) Available on kindle at a reduced price (Rs 399) and free on kindle unlimited.

The paperback is only available ex US or Europe - Indian publishers want a sum equal to potential royalties, even though I've got copyright and the ISBN on my own, which is what they charge for.

Quite surprisingly, I've sold more copies in the US than in India, for a book entirely about India vs Chi-Pak conflict.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Finally getting around to this. Your link takes me to a free PDF, which I can just download? Is that okay, or is there a hard copy version that you prefer your readers to buy?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

https://www.amazon.in/2022-Indias-two-f ... 440&sr=1-1

Updated edition of the book will be available free on kindle unlimited till end Oct.
Or paid version on Kindle, or paperback (on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk only). I get royalties on the free (Kindle unlimited) version too,
based on the no of pages read. Royalties go the army battle casualties fund.
Those of you who have read it, please review. Reviews affect visibility in a search.
The updated version has a reduced price and some gaps in the story filled in.

I am not publishing the paperback in India, as self publishers want a fee for copyright and a ISBN code, both of which I've obtained (govt is actually fairly efficient and only charges a token amount). Its too niche a category for commercial publication - this forum is the ideal readership.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Any options for Kindle users in the US?

Oops, realized I have already bought the paperback version of this book earlier this year from Amazon.com, sitting on the shelf, to be read.

There is also a Kindle Unlimited version for the US on Amazon
Last edited by Primus on 24 Sep 2019 04:41, edited 2 times in total.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Re: Forthcoming book - Two front war in 2022

Post by Cain Marko »

Deans wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:Dean sir, given your noble objective i would prefer to buy the book. Will it be available for delivery in al-birtaniya or only madre watan? Anyway to get signed books.
Lastly, dont kill me for asking this but does the book have lot of pictures? I like to read my little one. Havent done it till now. I want to introduce these things to him via some pictures. He loves going though the books I have accumulated over the years on fighter jet recognitions.
Funny ways of indoctrinating nanha mujahids
Hi Arjun, The book will be available in all major English speaking countries.
There are unfortunately, no pics. Its rather a serious read. Plenty of maps, but that's to make you explore the area more on google maps.
Will there be a Kindle version? Please?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Re: Forthcoming book - Two front war in 2022

Post by Deans »

Cain Marko wrote:
Deans wrote:
Hi Arjun, The book will be available in all major English speaking countries.
There are unfortunately, no pics. Its rather a serious read. Plenty of maps, but that's to make you explore the area more on google maps.
Will there be a Kindle version? Please?
Yes, it is on Kindle - which has sold more than the paperback.
Also free on kindle unlimited.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Primus wrote:Any options for Kindle users in the US?

Oops, realized I have already bought the paperback version of this book earlier this year from Amazon.com, sitting on the shelf, to be read.

There is also a Kindle Unlimited version for the US on Amazon
Primus ji. Thanks for buying the book. It is also on kindle and if you have signed up for `kindle unlimited' , you can read the updated version for free (also corrected the typos the initial paperback copies had).
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

^
yes, I also have a Kindle unlimited account, will download the latest. My only gripe with Kindle books is that the graphics and maps do not show up well, cannot be 'zoomed in' and the contrast is very poor, hard to read details. Although I read most of my fiction on Kindle, for everything else, I prefer the paper version.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Primus wrote:^
yes, I also have a Kindle unlimited account, will download the latest. My only gripe with Kindle books is that the graphics and maps do not show up well, cannot be 'zoomed in' and the contrast is very poor, hard to read details. Although I read most of my fiction on Kindle, for everything else, I prefer the paper version.
All maps are cut-paste from Google maps, while my research has been with google earth. It works best when you magnify the google map.
It's very difficult (at least with my level of software understanding) to show both a large area and unit level detail, on a kindle or paperback map.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

I think the problem is the Kindle reader itself. While I love the device, anything graphic, be it a photo or map is not as sharp. You cannot zoom or magnify images and the contrast is very poor. So I only use my Kindle for reading fiction where images are hardly of any consequence. Yet, some books have maps or other illustrations to embellish the story, these are very hard to read, especially the small details. Nothing beats a printed page in this regard.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Primus wrote:I think the problem is the Kindle reader itself. While I love the device, anything graphic, be it a photo or map is not as sharp. You cannot zoom or magnify images and the contrast is very poor. So I only use my Kindle for reading fiction where images are hardly of any consequence. Yet, some books have maps or other illustrations to embellish the story, these are very hard to read, especially the small details. Nothing beats a printed page in this regard.
You can try downloading the Kindle app on your phone or tablet. Maps might look better there.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

^, I prefer reading on the Kindle itself, soft, yellow light and battery lasts for hours. I do have the app on my iPad but much more cumbersome to read, plus the newer Kindles simply fit in my pocket.

iPhone is much harder for me - find it difficult with any small print these days.
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

When do I get a paperback copy in India ? And how ?
salaam
BRFite

Post by salaam »

Deans Ji. Got my paperback today. :)