BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by ArjunPandit »

Suraj wrote:Moderators did not abandon post. The definition of that would be letting the thread run un-moderated.

Many posters demonstrated that they have no sense of what to post and what not to post, despite SEVERAL reminders. If you want to go post elsewhere and get influenced elsewhere, that's entirely your prerogative.
suraj san, i suggest we have slightly broader mod set for time being, so that certain threads can be actively managed across time zones.
Certain senior members who are up for it can take up the role for time being.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Sorry, as explained earlier, the problem is not the moderators, but the posters. The thread was not locked because we didn't have enough people to keep up, but because people repeatedly did not listen. Same reason why GDF is shut.

The moderator team determined this isn't an issue that could be fixed by throwing more moderation resources at it. There is no substitute for posting maturity. If there is sustained irresponsibility about posting on a topic of NatSec importance where peoples' lives are at stake, the thread gets locked, simple as that.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

1) Can a sticky banner be added to the top of every thread (or, at least, the Balakot thread) to the effect of "The Enemy Is Listening," "Loose Lips Sink Ships," and "Bits of Careless Talk are Pieced Together By the Enemy"?

These slogans come from WWII posters, and people today very much need to be reminded of them.

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67 ... /high_res/

https://rezinate.files.wordpress.com/20 ... .jpg?w=627

http://www.usmm.org/p/puzzle2.jpg

In my experience, most people do not realize that current consumer technology requires an entirely new level of caution. For instance, every consumer smartphone is hackable (meaning that its microphone can be turned on remotely). That means the ISI/CIA/MSS (China) can potentially hear all of your conversations when your phone is in your pocket. Much more can be said about this: using GPS/social-networking/phone-log data, all kinds of direct and indirect information can be scraped up. Even sensing that a certain BRF member has an overly talkative friend means that the ISI has located a potentially worthwhile target.

2) If further military operations continue, perhaps we should consider locking all BRF threads. The moderators can put out a bi-weekly report or something similar. They'll know what to mention and what not. We can learn from a recent example: "Saker" is an excellent pro-Russian military analyst. (In the 1990's, he was a professional military analyst for a NATO country, but he opposed the wars in the former Yugoslavia and was black-listed.) In 2014, he was writing almost daily about the crisis in Ukraine. However, given the sensitivity of the situation, he switched to a weekly analysis. That was wise of him.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

I thought the mods handled this pretty well. Removing posts and even closing threads when needed. Some will be unhappy but considering the magnitude (in both passion and sheer numbers of posters) it was a job well done.

Bravo!
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ramana wrote:....
Ramana
ramana guru, the signal to noise ratio has varied quite a lot on this thread (like others), is there any mechanism that summarizes all the signals in such threads. or points to important or interesting posts like UBCN/Rudradev and others
This is not just a request to ramana guru but for other mods too. There's a lot of good content generated but that's all scattered here and there.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Do we have a thread for keeping all the links/resources related to India's history? Given how much of history in India is marxist trash it would be great to have a thread with some hard references for real history of India instead of Ganga/Jamuni tehzeeb nonsense.

There are some great people like Rajeev Malhotra, True Indology, Abhinav Agarwal etc spreading the truth but these are scattered across the internet and very hard to find.

As an example has anyone here ever heard of Kafiristan?
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nuristani#ref289618
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ranneel wrote:
pralay wrote: OT here but we can create a graf d b of such things which will be very interesting but will need some funding as well.
One way is to either use closed bitbucket/git to work on a set of tools to perform required actions.The results could be published on a thread which is behind the burqa.
perhaps this is the best thread to take our discussions. historically we havent seen any form of funding by users. But let's see
1. what is feasible
2. what mods want

I had suggestions of post liking, sticky posts etc.
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

Git will create unorganized but versioned data/pages while gr aph will create highly interconnected data.
The funding will be required mainly to pay for the AWS instance with 4gb mem.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Please stop reporting your own posts asking to 'look into the matter'. It constitutes misuse of the post reporting function. All posts here are read.

Generally, if there's no immediate response it can be assumed that there's no interest or that there's no desire to accord the suggestion priority.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

sir how am I supposed to know this? is it too much effort type, looked and found trash :-D
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

pralay wrote:Git will create unorganized but versioned data/pages while gr aph will create highly interconnected data.
https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/

have a look at this forum. They have some good features like reviews of user posts. What is gr aph? Graph??
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

ArjunPandit wrote:
pralay wrote:Git will create unorganized but versioned data/pages while gr aph will create highly interconnected data.
https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/
have a look at this forum. They have some good features like reviews of user posts. What is gr aph? Graph??
If you were talking about only forum posts, then we dont need graph
I thought we were thinking about building knowledge-base of 'people of interest' around the world and their activities and inclinations.

regarding Graph DB(e.g. Neo4J, OrientDB ) are for highly interconnected data which is beyond capability of relational databases.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

interesting, i was thinking in simple terms because I didnt have the tools for this. That said, I am open to new ideas, starting small :). I see you are in the mainsite crew, not sure if you have access to the caves, but see if something can be done on those lines. What goes in toying with the idea. This is an area we're certainly not ahead of the curve ;)
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

ArjunPandit wrote:interesting, i was thinking in simple terms because I didnt have the tools for this. That said, I am open to new ideas, starting small :). I see you are in the mainsite crew, not sure if you have access to the caves, but see if something can be done on those lines. What goes in toying with the idea. This is an area we're certainly not ahead of the curve ;)
In graph there are nodes and relationships, both of them can hold data. a relationship/edge connects two nodes, and there can be multiple relationships between two nodes.
and no I dont have access to any caves. Its is just that I was part of an initiative to overhaul the main website which didnt materialize as the crew lost focus gradually..
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ArjunPandit wrote:sir how am I supposed to know this? is it too much effort type, looked and found trash :-D
You've been a member for 2 years, and have 2200 posts. You're expected to know that post reporting is meant to enable action to be taken against something that a poster finds to be against forum rules. It is not a tool to be used to wave and catch attention on a thread actually meant to interact with mods. Please don't do it again. If something didn't get an interested response to a suggestion, it's simply an indication of lack of interest and/or priority.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

1. Sure Suraj! will keep that in mind
2. I am genuinely asking, for other folks, but how is one supposed to know when
a. the forum guidelines dont exist
b. the description in reporting says, "this is a message to mods"
3. Unfortunately, if 2200 posts and more than 2 years havent given me the above intuition, then may be the description lacks something. The other possibility is I am idiot. I dont rule that out either :-), but are you sure there wouldnt be others like me?
All with a smile. Hope you take it that ways only.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

pralay wrote: If you were talking about only forum posts, then we dont need graph
I thought we were thinking about building knowledge-base of 'people of interest' around the world and their activities and inclinations.
so is there anything that can be done? are there any plans and interest around it?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Many THX!! for closing MiG21 dhaga in a timely manner with proper closure. Took us a while to realize what was wrong with the Paki images but in the end we did.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Stuff gets stolen. Pls don't create linkages etc that may then reach other hands. In fact, there was a stringent (un) written rule NEVER to give out a postor's real identify, nor anything about his/her gender, cast, nationality, goat/other preferences etc. let alone professional affiliation/title/degrees. Instant ban has to be the deterrent there. I am seeing too many violations/borderline violations of that. Way too dangerous today. Back in 1999 it was only Pakis and FreeBiscuits who might have been interested, today it is many more entities.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is website missing the site icon ? It makes it easier to track in multi-tab browsers and should be easy to enable it.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

UlanBatori wrote:Stuff gets stolen. Pls don't create linkages etc that may then reach other hands. In fact, there was a stringent (un) written rule NEVER to give out a postor's real identify, nor anything about his/her gender, cast, nationality, goat/other preferences etc. let alone professional affiliation/title/degrees. Instant ban has to be the deterrent there. I am seeing too many violations/borderline violations of that. Way too dangerous today. Back in 1999 it was only Pakis and FreeBiscuits who might have been interested, today it is many more entities.
UBji this was for our beloved journos and their background and inclinations, and interlinkages with public info only.... :rotfl: ...
Vinu
BRFite

Post by Vinu »

Requesting help here.
I am unable to access BR from my boradband and my mobile (network data ) as well. Tried with different browsers. Chrome, Firefox and Opera.
Is it possible that my IP got blocked by BRF?
It used to work perfectly then intermittently now not at all.

Note: Now used a VPN to access this.

Thank you.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

I was facing the similar problem ..could access brf through mobile data only. I had changed a lot on my router/laptop side so cant pinpoint what was the issue. But VPN used to work fine..
Vinu
BRFite

Post by Vinu »

Thanks Arjun Ji.
I suspect it may be something to do with restrictions applied by the Internet Service Provider.
I will call them over the weekend to find more details.
chaitanya
BRFite

Post by chaitanya »

Not really forum feedback per say, but just found out there was a jirga in NJ to celebrate the election victory... would love to be part of a tri-state area jirga in the future! Any person I should reach out to?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Hello.

Is there any way to embed Twitter videos on BRF forums (like youtube videos)?

Thanks.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Of late, there seem to be a bunch of random threads being opened by unknown members. Most look like spam, or something worse. These threads seem to disappear after some time (mods cleaning up?), but wanted to check if there is any malware or infection that allows these things through? Anything for members to be concerned about, since many of post from mobile phones?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ Ping to mods. Phillip sir has a similar q in the main site feedback thread. Anything to be concerned about?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Nothing to be concerned about. Some bots accidentally got through the account activation process. It takes time to delete them one by one. Forum software does not allow mass deletion after the users are activated. Meanwhile some of them started spam threads which mods saw and took care of. We may see a few more but it is nothing serious
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ Thanks, saar.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Nachiket, the forum sw does allow mass delete. We had problem at BGR after the new crew joined, and I had to figure out how to do it.

Prune Users -> Find a Member. Use the filter fields to narrow down the list. Then use the checkboxes to select multiple users. Then click "Select Marked" button at the bottom right. This will copy all the user names to the user names field in the prune users page. Click submit and send all of them to jannat.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Dang! I was sharpening my language skills on each of those random threads. :(
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Dileep wrote:Nachiket, the forum sw does allow mass delete. We had problem at BGR after the new crew joined, and I had to figure out how to do it.

Prune Users -> Find a Member. Use the filter fields to narrow down the list. Then use the checkboxes to select multiple users. Then click "Select Marked" button at the bottom right. This will copy all the user names to the user names field in the prune users page. Click submit and send all of them to jannat.
Thanks Dileep. Will try that.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

UlanBatori wrote:Dang! I was sharpening my language skills on each of those random threads. :(
Saar I almost accidentally banned you when you replied on one of those threads in Russian. I mistook you for a bot :mrgreen:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

:shock: Google Translate is a wonderful thing to use on such threads. One can compliment ppl/bots about their parentage, looks etc. with Phreedom. I didn't know I was so fluent in Russian and Mandarin.
Raj_N
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Raj_N »

Moderators
I got a message asking me to change my screen name.
Will Raj1971 work?
Thanks.
Also not sure how to change.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I've changed it to Raj_N. We don't like too many numbers in the username either :D
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

These spam thread creators are bots, so there is no point in replying. And bots have become very smart.

At BGR, I set a 'question and answer' check which prevented bots for some time. Then, google started understanding hindi words typed in roman alphabets, so bots started finding the answer. I changed the question to something google (as yet) wouldn't answer, so the problem went away.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Dileep wrote:At BGR, ...
Dileep, I am a little sad that BGR is no more. Any chance of reviving it?
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Dileep wrote:At BGR, ...
Dileep, I am a little sad that BGR is no more. Any chance of reviving it?
I found out a few days ago that it has risen from the ashes like a phoenix. :D
There seems to be a new group owning it.