Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by ks_sachin »

MeshaVishwas wrote:Excellent interview of Lt. gen. Anbu by Gokhale Saar.
https://youtu.be/rlIu6lTHugw
Edit:@Adminullahs, please make this video appear in page viewable.
Also let me know how I can do the same as the YouTube tags do not seem to work.
Thanks.
Saar no hard questions. It was a very run of the mill interview.
Nothing was said that was really New. And questions did not probe enough.
For example why AK203 7.62x39?
Why go against established wisdom?
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

ks_sachin wrote:
MeshaVishwas wrote:Excellent interview of Lt. gen. Anbu by Gokhale Saar.
https://youtu.be/rlIu6lTHugw
Edit:@Adminullahs, please make this video appear in page viewable.
Also let me know how I can do the same as the YouTube tags do not seem to work.
Thanks.
Saar no hard questions. It was a very run of the mill interview.
Well NG is a Strategic Affairs analyst not an ex infrantryman or a "Gun Nut".
The below discussion answers the "Why the AK?" Q.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

MeshaVishwas wrote:
ks_sachin wrote: Saar no hard questions. It was a very run of the mill interview.
Well NG is a Strategic Affairs analyst not an ex infrantryman or a "Gun Nut".
Sorry sir,
I was a journalist as well. You interview someone and have questions then you should know your subject. I am not an infantryman or a gun nut but that has not stopped me from reading.
The why the AK is not the question.
The question is why 7.62x39. And why 5.56 from Caracas as a CQB.
SF are using 5.56x45 so what gives.
The YouTube interviewer also asks stupid questions rather than putting these guys on the spot.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

ks_sachin wrote:
MeshaVishwas wrote: Well NG is a Strategic Affairs analyst not an ex infrantryman or a "Gun Nut".
Sorry sir,
I was a journalist as well. You interview someone and have questions then you should know your subject. I am not an infantryman or a gun nut but that has not stopped me from reading.
The why the AK is not the question.
The question is why 7.62x39. And why 5.56 from Caracas as a CQB.
SF are using 5.56x45 so what gives.
The YouTube interviewer also asks stupid questions rather than putting these guys on the spot.
Putting these guys on the Spot?! :roll:
You have your views, I have mine.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Yes good interviewers ask good question you may be surprised to know!!!
What I am saying is that all that these former officers is known.
Nothing new here.
Also some factual inaccuracies. Russia is not moving to or using 7.62x39.
Anyhow there was only one line that illuminated everything - if correct.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

While India was glued to Balakot airstrike, army carried out mega strikes along Myanmar border
Joint operations between Indian and Myanmar armies were carried out to thwart a threat along the Indo-Myanmar border from an insurgent group.

While the world -- and India -- focused on Pulwama terror attack and the Balakot airstrike carried out in its aftermath, the Indian Army carried out a mega operation to eliminate threats posed by insurgents along the Indo-Myanmar border.

Joint operations between the Indian and Myanmar armies were carried out from February 17 and March 2 to thwart a threat to a mega infrastructure project vital for the Northeast. The threat was from an insurgent group in Myanmar.

The operation was carried out when the world was focused on the Indian Air Force airstrike in Pakistan's Balakot. The airstrike targeted Jaish-e-Mohammad's largest terror camp and was seen as a response to the Pulwama terror attack in which 40 Central Reserve Police Force jawans were martyred.

While the focus in India and outside remained on the western border, the Indian Army silently carried out a major operation on the eastern front targeting the so-called Arakan Army, an insurgent group reportedly being raised by the Kachin Independence Army, which is designated as a terrorist group by Myanmar.

According to assessments, the mega Kaladan Project was under threat from the Arakan Army. The Kaladan Project is a transit project will connect Kolkata to Sitwe port in Myanmar.

The project will finally end up linking Mizoram and will be a new gateway to the landlocked Northeast. The project will reduce the distance from Kolkata to Mizoram by nearly a thousand kilomteres and bring down the travel time by at least four days. (Notably, China has also been carrying out development projects at Kyaukpyu port near Sitwe.)

With intelligence assessments point to threats to the Kaladan Project, the Indian Army planned a mission to flush out insurgent groups that had set up bases south of Mizoram in Myanmar.

Large scale joint operations were launched by the Indian and Myanmar armies. The first phase targeted newly constructed camps bordering Mizoram. Part two targeted the deadly Naga group, NSCN (K); its their camps were destroyed up north around 1000 kms away bordering Arunachal Pradesh.

The operations -- first of their kind in terms of deployment and covering areas all along the India-Myanmar border -- went on for two weeks and ended on March 2.

The deployment for the operation included Special Forces of the Indian Army, Assam Rifles and other infantry units. Helicopters, drones and other surveillance equipment were also used during the operations to make an accurate assessment of movement of the insurgent groups and their camps.

"In the last two years the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) that trains the Arakan Army in the Kachin State of Myanmar adjoining China had readied around 3000 cadres that moved to the South closing in on areas adjoining the Lawngtala district of Mizoram," said a senior officer in the security establishment.

These were exactly the areas that cut through the proposed Kaladan Project that will link Sitwe in Myanmar to Mizoram, sources said.

The Arakan Army is also well trained in setting up Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) making the threat to the project and it workers even greater. "This was a serious concern both for India and Myanmar," a source said.

The Arakan Army Headquarters are in Laiza also in the Kachin state bordering China falling close to the sensitive India-China-Myanmar trijunction.

The beginnings of the Arakan Army also go back to Kachin state bordering China and not the Arakan region that falls in the Rakhine state of Myanmar.

It's predominantly a Buddhist insurgent group active in Myanmar.

"A deal was cut out that after the action adjoining Mizoram the Myanmar army will hit the insurgent camps of other groups that have been targeting India. This resulted in totally wiping out of Taga, the HQ of NSCN (K). Based on specific inputs provided by us the Myanmar Army hit these camps and is now occupying them," said a security officer.

At least a dozen camps have been completely destroyed here, sources said.

The planning for the joint operations started around 2 months back, sources said.

The Arakan Army along with KIA is part of the coalition of insurgent groups called the Northern Alliance said be supported by China.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Hopefully not OT

https://twitter.com/MajDPSingh/status/1 ... 6172526594
This was my #palatial bungalow while I was deployed on LoC.
July month.
River bed.
AC(air use 2flow on conditions)48° during day.
Regular visitor:Cat sized Rats.
7course meal buffet. Kitchen use 2open2 enemy fire inspection.
Last edited by vimal on 17 Mar 2019 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

^^^
Why is rice on the floor and not in the pot? :-?
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Maybe attacked by Cat sized Rats.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Interesting to note that even the Uri surgical strikes used C-90s. I read the book, but missed this part.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

LOL I posted that very report above to Aditya a page or so back in response to why I thought the BAT team counter-strike was also a trans-LOC op. Same loadout as the Uri team.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

But what is the benefits of C90 over carl gustavs? Maybe some kind of specialized warhead.

From different accounts that I have read now about uri surgical strikes, our special forces have used carl gustav/Shmel/c90 depending upon which account you believe.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

The C-90 is more compact and lighter than the Carl Gustav. ALso disposable...easily ditched if they need to get out of there in a hurry. A better fit for the kind of penetration raid that was carried out.
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

I personally think that this video is total bunkum.
Prof.Karnad saying that PLA will embed nano something RFID something into the fabric of the BPJs. :shock:
Will the army not test these jackets before accepting?!
Who was the L2 in this and could they be trying to scuttle the deal?
FYI the DRDO designed and developed the BPJs and did ToT to SMPP Pvt. Ltd.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Indian Army BaatCheet English March 2019
https://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata ... 202019.pdf
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Some advance in defensive field fortifications.
aka sangars by the British.

Need some ex Army to tell us what these mean.

https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2012/12/ ... ed-sangar/
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Indian Army BaatCheet English April 2019
https://www.indianarmy.nic.in/writeread ... 202019.pdf
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

This is big new :
Gen Rawat's proposed a plan to reduce commands on China front from 4 to 2, henceforth Northern command will be made available exclusively for siachen to jammu. Central command will take over leh based 14th corp from Northern command. Will need political approval though.

http://epaper.mailtoday.in/m5/2122467/M ... #page/10/1
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

This is an important development.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... 62332.html

From the article:
The 255-km Darbuk-Shayok-Daulat Beg Oldie (DS-DBO) section of the road between Leh and Karakoram Pass has been completed, sources said. Some 37 bridges have been built across various snow-fed rivers.
Darbuk: 34.0992762,78.1002615
Shyok Village: 34.1772188,78.1345939
Murgo: 35.0412144,77.9359818 (not mentioned in the article but an important point on the route)
Burtse Camp: 35.1306079,78.0250103 (not mentioned in the article but an important point on the route)
DBO: 35.3923137,77.9228695

This road will allow Indian Army to move troops to DBO Sector (also called as Sub Sector North-SSN) from two axis.

One axis is what is referred to in the article. This requires troops to move from Leh over Chang La pass and then downwards to reach Darbuk. If you take south from here, one goes towards the Pangong Tso lake. If you move northward, you come to Shyok Village and thence north & north-east wards DBO.

Second axis the route from THOISE - you go due east along the alignment of Shyok River to reach Shyok Village and then follow the route towards DBO.

Indian Army had inducted a brigade especially for DBO/SSN as part of overall beefing up of troops for eastern Ladakh. DBO/SSN sector had also seen multiple large scale Chinese incursions. In fact, Google Earth will show you armor in Darbuk. If required, the same can now go north towards DBO/SSN through this route.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Army building new tunnels, caves to house firepower
https://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-a ... er-2743019
To keep ammunition safe, four bunkers to come up along border areas in two years.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Nothing to quote. But overall sad reading on the life & shabby treatment of Brigadier Pritam Singh, saviour of Poonch.

Pritam Singh of Poonch
http://jaganpvs.tripod.com/Pritamsingh.htm
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

The article isn't clear in it use of "1 PARA" -- IIRC, it was 1 KUMAON (now 3 PARA) at Poonch. The Punjab Para bttn (now 1 PARA) had been mauled badly in a hasty advance to Mirpur, and had been pulled back for lighter duties. Brigadier Usman had the Maratha Para bttn (now 2 PARA) a little to the south. I'm not sure what happened to the other two PARA bttns assigned to India -- MADRAS and RAJRIF.

Another thing that is unstated is the situation in Poonch in the article: ~70,000 Poonch Muslims had served in World War II and were the most militant of all secessionists, and it was the hotbed of the Muslim League in J&K. They wanted nothing to do with Kashmiri Muslim dominated National Conference, and saw themselves closer to Punjabi Muslims. At higher echelons, neither Sheikh Abdullah nor New Delhi wanted to explicitly deal with the peace-time implications of this problem. Therein lay the root of this tragedy, and many more to come over the decades.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Read it somewhere, that the "people who don't like us" was the prime reason for not capturing PoK. It probably applies even to this day.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

nam wrote:Read it somewhere, that the "people who don't like us" was the prime reason for not capturing PoK. It probably applies even to this day.
This excuse came from JLN after the successful operation Erase and Poonch link up when the tide of the war changed, possibly due to British influence. Till Nov 1948 when Pakis had Zoji La and situation in Poonch was critical and the probability of Pakistani military victory was High, none of this was stated.

The reason the British were against us taking POK was it will make GHQ Rawalpindi very vulnerable. POK was given make GHQ Rawalpindi feel secure.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

:?: The Army claims it has sighted footprints of a Yeti. A bit unexpected from the Indian Army handle. Am I reading this right?

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Nikhil T wrote:
:?: The Army claims it has sighted footprints of a Yeti. A bit unexpected from the Indian Army handle. Am I reading this right?
there has been sightings and pictures of similar "footprints" before

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird- ... yas-bhutan
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Question to the knowledgable. Does the IA use the compact & light weight MGK Bur 62mm Rocket Launcher.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Looks like Google news has big section on yeti topic with headlines taking swipe at Indian army.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Deleting. Clearly that is new PA shoes that go with PakArmy Burkha. Tough to carry a BakPak full of dung and fuel oil without broad shoes.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

Nikhil T wrote::?: The Army claims it has sighted footprints of a Yeti. A bit unexpected from the Indian Army handle. Am I reading this right?
WTF...This is a self-goal. What next, flat earth?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

They need to post again saying they were joking. This is only going to lead to loss of credibility. Wonder whose bright idea it was to do this.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Why IA should retract what they genuinely found? IA found evidence which matches with previous reports of similar footprints, it's basically a corroborating evidence that something unknown is out there.

I wonder how we would react if Navy SEALs had reported this? I mean US practically conducted research on UFOs using public money, but our reaction will be total opposite if IAF did the same thing.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/natio ... 66309.html

11 Cols opt out of coveted courses, highest in decade -‘Structured marks’ system removal in 2017, no guarantee of promotion and premature retirement plan seen as prime reasons
excerpts
about a dozen Colonel-level officers of the Army have opted out of the prestigious and much-coveted higher command course (HCC) and the higher defence management course (HDMC).
The number of officers opting out is the highest in more than a decade. In 2008, 10 Colonels opted out in the backdrop of a rising economy offering jobs to these mid-career officers. Since then, four to six officers have opted out mostly due to personal and family reasons. This year has seen a surge due to several reasons.

These officers were selected to do the courses based on their performance as commanders of their battalions and their service of almost 18 years.
further
Each year, there are 86 vacancies in HCC, conducted at Mhow near Indore, and another 92 vacancies in HDMC, conducted at Secunderabad. Both courses are of 11-month duration during which the officers — usually between 38-39 years of age — are exposed to various facets of war fighting, new technologies, besides latest issues of global importance.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

nachiket wrote:They need to post again saying they were joking. This is only going to lead to loss of credibility. Wonder whose bright idea it was to do this.
Over enthusiasm basically. They should have first run the pics by some zoologist, wildlife expert etc before releasing the pics, and phrased it as a "call for information" asking experts to chime in about what the pics could be.

Example #49999999 about Indian services lack of PR awareness. :|
jpremnath
BRFite

Post by jpremnath »

Sid wrote:Why IA should retract what they genuinely found? IA found evidence which matches with previous reports of similar footprints, it's basically a corroborating evidence that something unknown is out there.

I wonder how we would react if Navy SEALs had reported this? I mean US practically conducted research on UFOs using public money, but our reaction will be total opposite if IAF did the same thing.
IMHO, footprints are not 'evidence'...and that too the ones on their photo looks in a straight line..what kind of animal walks like that?...If they had found some sort of biological remains, that would have given more credibility to the 'claim'. To your second point on the SEALS, yes...if they had posted the same,the reaction would be no different..plus the issue is not conducting research on UFOs.. it is about making claims.

Let us just hope they have more 'evidence' than just footprint photographs..
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

just shows a good sense of humour, why get chaddis in a twist?
jpremnath
BRFite

Post by jpremnath »

^^ On an official handle??, if they did make a post to get a few laughs, it should have been worded differently..or atleast follow up with a clarifying tweet saying they were just kidding...that did not happen
I am afraid the whole thing will reflect poorly on such a professional organisation...I hope against all hopes that they come up with something more to back their claim.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

desi chaddi twisting phenomena happens when we find ourselves not vindicated by gora people, or wherever we are out of line with their narrative.

These posts are by ADG PI, meaning this info went up the chain of command and was authorized for release after some thought process. It’s not some random pic posted on Facebook by field unit.

It’s about time we start owing our narrative.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

so MMS govt did Surgical strikes in their tenure. Hindustan times reporting with exact dates.