Indian Navy News & Discussion - 03 July 2018

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Navy News & Discussion - 03 July 2018

Post by Karan M »

Agree. The services have all been deeply infected by the same kind who infest our civvie street institutions. These rtd Aman ki Asha types have no issue with TSP running amuck but are upset the current GOI took a stand and took any sort of credit for its political will. Graceless to the core, attack current GOI using every kind of excuse and name-call their fellow veterans who take a strong nationalist line.
sudeepj wrote:
negi wrote:Living in Kota house :eek: it is the poshest club in Dilli (even afsars from other 2 services want to spend time there). Fauj has accumulated too many career types whose have made services glorified gobmint daftar.

Swara Bhaskar - Daughter of Commodore Uday Bhaskar.
The entire Ramdas family.
Vishnu Bhagwat clan.
Arun Prakash's nephew..
Nanda family..
This Verma chap.. also implicated in the war room case.

So many worthies writing stupid letters.. List is really long. Elitism is a huge problem in Indian society. These days I have little patience for these things. These people are also stirring shit up on twitter.. Provided the barest of criticism, they block and run and hide behind their credentials.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

This is the risk of operating with heavy machinery that is incredibly complex and comes with daily risks. :( May he get return to fight for India once again.
Rakesh wrote:Why? :cry:

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/11 ... 9678972928 ---> Had married just last month. Was 30 years old. Heartbroken for the family of Lt Cdr DS Chauhan who died fighting a fire in board INS Vikramaditya on Friday. Tough questions & inquiry necessary. RIP, DS.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5GbeYnUEAAWJt_.jpg
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Om Shanti

May his family find the strength to bear his loss

Saw the flight safety thread at the top, opened it with a sinking feeling, was relieved to see a non-accident related post.

Then opened this thread :(
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Peregrine wrote:chola Ji :

Pardon my ignorance, but usually on the front end of a ship there is the name of the ship and there are Anchors on the both sides of the front end of the ship.

On the front of the INS Kolkota there is no name of the ship and instead of Anchors there seep to be something like the "scoop" which one finds on a Bulldozer Scoop.

Please let me know as to why there is no name and no Anchors on the INS Kolkata

Many thanks in Advance

Cheers Image
Peregrine ji, first of all there are anchors on the Kolkata. They are the very tip of the bow and on the starboard side.

More clear here:

Secondly, the IN has never had the ship's name painted on the bow. They are numbered near amidship. Names painted on the front of the ship is common for civilian vessels not naval ones.

For the IN, there is a plaque with the ship's name on the entrance to the bridge I believe.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Tragic. Om Shanti.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Rakesh wrote:Why? :cry:

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/11 ... 9678972928 ---> Had married just last month. Was 30 years old. Heartbroken for the family of Lt Cdr DS Chauhan who died fighting a fire in board INS Vikramaditya on Friday. Tough questions & inquiry necessary. RIP, DS.
RIP, hero.

He leaves behind a beautiful wife. It pains me to realize their sacrifice to the nation. I worry that Vikramaditya had issues even before the handover with fire. There were stories that the engine room was prone to fire because the Russians cut corners by using inferior fire bricks from Cheen instead of modern fire-proofing material. I hope tough questions are asked and not onlee in India.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Indian Navy News & Discussion - 03 July 2018

Post by Peregrine »

chola Ji :

Your Post - 28 Apr 2019 14:23 : Many Thanks for the "Proper View".

Cheers Image
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Peregrine wrote:chola Ji :

Your Post - 28 Apr 2019 14:23 : Many Thanks for the "Proper View".

Cheers Image

Lol. Not the "proper" view. Just a view from someone who likes ships, Saar!
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

The launch of INS Imphal, 2nd of the P15Bs, from a few weeks ago.

Look at the majestic size of the vessel when pictured with people in front of it:

@Peregrine ji, this puts lie to what I just told you that the IN never paint the name in front of the ship. In seems they do paint the name during launch if not when in operation. Anyone more knowledgeable than I could tell us what is the convention in painting the name on the vessel for the IN?
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

chola wrote:... I worry that Vikramaditya had issues even before the handover with fire. There were stories that the engine room was prone to fire because the Russians cut corners by using inferior fire bricks from Cheen instead of modern fire-proofing material. I hope tough questions are asked and not onlee in India.
RIP dear Commander.

Cheen obviously knows something about the fire-proofing material. Read this: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1147863.shtml
The carrier's fire also sparked heated discussions among Chinese netizens as the fire was "accurately predicted" by Zhang Zhaozhong, a retired Chinese rear admiral and prominent military commentator.

I had said "Not catching fire would be great" years ago when people asked me to comment on the Vikramaditya's sea trial, Zhang posted on China's Twitter-like Sina Weibo on Saturday morning, listing several other navel accidents as evidence that the Indian military "did not learn a lesson."
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Not surprising. Not only did they sell crap to the russkies they had lots of issues themselves with Russian converts. Their Liaoning, ex-Varyag, during sea trial had a fire with an blast in their engine room which caused the ship to lose all power and left it dead in the water -- far worse than what happened on the VikA. So the chins know from experience.

Old Russian ship with cheap chini parts equal bad news regardless.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

chola wrote:@Peregrine ji, this puts lie to what I just told you that the IN never paint the name in front of the ship. In seems they do paint the name during launch if not when in operation. Anyone more knowledgeable than I could tell us what is the convention in painting the name on the vessel for the IN?
chola Ji :
Indeed! I suppose the Shipyard must have especially "Pa'nting the Name in the from part of the ship. But take a guess and I suppose it will be painted with the ""Name in front of the Ship". The Navy will Re-Paint this "Name of the Ship" with their usual shade of Grey - Possibly for Camouflage at Night!

Cheers Image
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Can you guys think twice before posting such obvious and stupid propaganda from the Chinese?

Some teenager called Li Jie, a pre-pubescent andrognynous moron, like the kind that the PRC prefers, is now a "naval expert" and an expert on the Indian military and its culture.

Please. The nearest the moron has been anything advanced is probably some toy in his bathtub.

Li Jie, a Beijing-based naval expert, told the Global Times on Sunday that the fire was more likely to be out of human error rather than mechanical problems. The fire and the extinguishing process suggested that they are unprofessional and unprepared to address such an emergency, he said.

India has been actively developing its military in recent years, but "its military culture is lax and it has loose regulations," which cannot effectively train soldiers to operate advanced military equipment, Li said.

And then there is this joker, probably selected as an Admiral for the amount of corruption he could do and money he could shovel to the high command:

The carrier's fire also sparked heated discussions among Chinese netizens as the fire was "accurately predicted" by Zhang Zhaozhong, a retired Chinese rear admiral and prominent military commentator.

I had said "Not catching fire would be great" years ago when people asked me to comment on the Vikramaditya's sea trial, Zhang posted on China's Twitter-like Sina Weibo on Saturday morning, listing several other navel accidents as evidence that the Indian military "did not learn a lesson."

Let me remind the Chinese about their great training and the quality of their crew. An entire sub crew choked, because the Chinese kit was shitty in quality and their crew improperly trained.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... tion-39947
yensoy wrote:
chola wrote:... I worry that Vikramaditya had issues even before the handover with fire. There were stories that the engine room was prone to fire because the Russians cut corners by using inferior fire bricks from Cheen instead of modern fire-proofing material. I hope tough questions are asked and not onlee in India.
RIP dear Commander.

Cheen obviously knows something about the fire-proofing material. Read this: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1147863.shtml

Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

chola wrote:^^^ Not surprising. Not only did they sell crap to the russkies they had lots of issues themselves with Russian converts. Their Liaoning, ex-Varyag, during sea trial had a fire with an blast in their engine room which caused the ship to lose all power and left it dead in the water -- far worse than what happened on the VikA. So the chins know from experience.

Old Russian ship with cheap chini parts equal bad news regardless.
chola Ji :

6 Die, 95 Hurt in Pakistan Naval Facility Fire

KARACHI, 11 March 2005 — At least six people were killed and around 95 injured when fire broke out yesterday aboard an oil tanker here and quickly spread to the surrounding area, naval officials said.

“Six people have died and around 95 are injured in the fire,” a Pakistan Navy spokesman said. He said 55 of the injured had serious burns. “The fire was caused by accident and it was not a sabotage,” the spokesman said.

Earlier a Navy official said an initial investigation suggested the fire started on a refueling vessel for Pakistani naval ships docked in the port, was likely a result of human error.

At least 35 people have been admitted to the city hospital’s intensive care unit, hospital officials said.

Salman Ali, a Pakistan Navy spokesman, said the fire broke out during maintenance work on PNS Moawin, an auxiliary vessel that serves as one of two fleet tankers. Poppycock, Piffle Paffle etc. & etc. Of course a Google search Provides the following Pakistan Navy site. The PNS Moawin IS AN OIL TANKER - Of course, The Terroristani Navy's Old “Moawin” was the Ex HNLMS (Dutch) Poolster Ex HNLMS (Dutch) Poolster!

“There was a huge fireball,” he said. “Thank God, now the fire has been extinguished,” he said.

The spokesman said that a skilled personnel was sent to plug a gas leak at the exhaust of Moawin. He was assisted by two more people. But the gas clogged up near the exhaust and while the workers were trying to correct the problem, the gas caught fire.

Witnesses said they saw dozens of private and navy ambulances rushing toward the scene at the Karachi naval dockyard, where a massive security ring was thrown up by naval personnel.

Rescue helicopters were also used to take victims to hospital, they said.

Another Navy officer, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said a small fire also occurred on a nearby ship which was quickly put out.

Moawin, which formerly belonged to the Dutch navy, was badly damaged in the fire, a Navy official said.

P. S. : On “Phurder Investigation” this Oil Tanker of the Navy of the Land of the Pure and Home of the Terrorists Report of Dijaster – of course it was suppressed – was due to Welding being done ON the Wall between the Paint Store and an adjacent compartment. The Paint Drums caught Fire.! Terroristanis Eh! Those BRFites who know, or will know, the name of the Director of Naval Research are kindly requested to keep it "Under their Hat!" - Many Thanks in Advance.

Cheers Image
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Not in right thread, Peregrine ji --we have a paki defense thread. But big story. Fire on fuel tanker that spread from ship to land facility and caused 100 casualties is major. Pakis don't have that many assets to lose.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

chola wrote:@Peregrine ji, this puts lie to what I just told you that the IN never paint the name in front of the ship. In seems they do paint the name during launch if not when in operation. Anyone more knowledgeable than I could tell us what is the convention in painting the name on the vessel for the IN?
The shipyard paints the name in front for publicity purposes during launch while the user on commissioning keep a low visibility name in the stern.

When we buy cars, the dealer puts stickers all over that we remove once we get it home. Same logic by shipbuilders and shipusers.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

The Chinese are BS-ing.

Typically for heat insulation of the boilers, asbestos is used. IN wanted an environmental friendly options and Russian used a Chinese option that badly performed during sea trials. Thereafter all such environmental friendly shit was removed and proven asbestos used on all 8 boilers before INS Vikramaditya was commissioned into the IN.

The boiler insulation has nothing to do with the fire - whose cause a CoI will determine.

The Chinese are twisting an old story.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Chinese made insulation. LOL. In the US, even Chinese made drywall is considered subpar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall

China's problems with manufacturing when not supervised by perioidic gora bahadur raids are legendary.
I invite everyone to read this eye-opening book on PRC business practices and their attitude towards quality.
https://www.amazon.com/Poorly-Made-Chin ... 0470928077
An insider reveals what can—and does—go wrong when companies shift production to China

In this entertaining behind-the-scenes account, Paul Midler tells us all that is wrong with our effort to shift manufacturing to China. Now updated and expanded, Poorly Made in China reveals industry secrets, including the dangerous practice of quality fade—the deliberate and secret habit of Chinese manufacturers to widen profit margins through the reduction of quality inputs. U.S. importers don’t stand a chance, Midler explains, against savvy Chinese suppliers who feel they have little to lose by placing consumer safety at risk for the sake of greater profit. This is a lively and impassioned personal account, a collection of true stories, told by an American who has worked in the country for close to two decades. Poorly Made in China touches on a number of issues that affect us all.
The author worked across industries, and what he saw in Chinese firms started alarming him so much, he even stopped using PRC soap when in China, afraid of what chemicals had been put in. :rotfl:

Then who can forget the PRC baby milk scandal?
https://qz.com/1323471/ten-years-after- ... t-remains/

Oh wait, this is not heavy engineering, PRC is the factory of the world onlee..ask Indian businessmen who went and purchased PRC made power gear.
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 243_1.html
Though Chinese players have been able to make inroads into the Indian power sector, questions have been raised on the quality of power plants. Central Electricity Authority (CEA) evaluated the performance of Chines power plants and compared it with those supplied by BHEL. The study revealed that Chinese power gear on all key operational parameters - operating load factor, heat rate, auxiliary consumption, frequency of forced outages, breakdowns, etc - and safety mechanisms scored lower than BHEL equipment.

The report said that “Chinese turbines do not have safety functions like turbine stress evaluator and auto turbine run-up systems. The level of automation or control systems of Chinese turbines is not in line with present-day turbine designs and technology... leading to the possibility of compromised safety and mal-operation."
And of course, Pakistan and its trains
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1042818/un ... nese-firm/
LAHORE:

Pakistan Railways is going to replace 16 newly inducted locomotives brought from China-based CSR Ziyang Locomotives Co Limited after engineers found serious defects in the locomotives and declared them unsafe to operate, especially for the passenger segment.

“Railways’ engineers have found under-frame cracks in 16 locomotives; which means they [Chinese party] haven’t provided us with a quality consignment as per our agreement,” said Railways Minister Khawaja Saad Rafique in a press briefing on Monday
to its AWACS, which have issues with land clutter
http://capsindia.org/files/documents/CA ... _RS_21.pdf
It seems the reason for basing the Erieye in Kamra was because of its powerful signal processing and capability for radar pickup over land being better than the Chinese AWACS which has been based in a coastal area at Masroor airbase in Karachi. In technical terms, the radar clutter signal reflected from land is stronger than clutter signals over the sea. Therefore, the AWACS radar should have powerful signal processing and clutter handling capabilities to pick up targets over land while therelatively weaker sea clutter can be handled by less powerful radar. Apparently, the Swedish Saab 2000 Erieye radar has better pick up over land than the Chinese ZDK-03 AWACS and for this reason has been based in Kamra for use over the Pakistan-India land frontier.
to its radars/missiles for its JF-17 which are also lousy and flopped vs Mirage 2000 upgrades
https://medium.com/@sameerjoshi73/the-s ... 52f1bd7171
“The JF-17 vs Mirage 2000 engagement took place North of J&K as the JF-17s tried to 'push' the M2000s in a 'Red on Red'. The JF-17's NRIET KLJ-7 PD radar did not do well against the M2000s. The JF-17s main job was to keep the M2000s tied up and not move south,” the former Mirage-2000 pilot notes.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

And these imbeciles, will be telling India about "quality" and "training". Has the Rear Admiral done any admiralship apart from offering his rear to the Central Politburo whenever it asked him for a share of funds he was making on the side?
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

No wonder the karakorum kaua was no where to be seen during the recent engagement over JnK
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Garden Reach bags ₹6,311-cr order to build 8 ASW water craft.

Kolkata-based defence PSU Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE) has won a ₹ 6,311.32-crore order from the Ministry of Defence to build eight anti-submarine warfare (ASW) shallow water craft for the Indian Navy.

The deal signed on Monday is the yard’s first order win after it went public in October last year.

The 16-ship ASW shallow water craft tender of the Indian Navy is split equally between the lowest and the second lowest bidders with the L2 required to match the L1 price. Cochin Shipyard Ltd quoted the lowest price in the tender to emerge the top bidder, wherein GRSE was the second lowest. GRSE matched the lowest price of Cochin Shipyard to win the eight ship-order.

The Defence Ministry is expected to sign the other eight-ship deal with Cochin Shipyard in the next few days, government sources said.

The first ship is to be delivered within 42 months from the contract signing date and the balance in two ships a year. The project completion time is 84 months from date of signing the contract, GRSE said in a statement.

The award comes five years after the tender was issued by the Indian Navy in April, 2014, demonstrating the long-drawn process in finalising contracts for defence ships. The eight ASW shallow watercraft to be built at Garden Reach will be classed with the Indian Register of Shipping (IRS), which won the mandate for providing classification services to the ships.

Indian Register of Shipping is a full-member of the International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) that verifies ships for their sea worthiness.

The ships will be built to IRClass’ Naval Rules 2015 and are designed for combating threats posed by submarines and special underwater craft, operating in relatively shallow waters and will incorporate advanced sensors, including sonars, and anti-submarine weapon systems.

The platforms will also be equipped with modern automation systems.

The ASW shallow water crafts are designed for a deep displacement of 750 tonnes, speed of 25 Knots and complement of 57 and capable of full-scale sub-surface surveillance of coastal waters. The vessels will have the capability to interdict/ destroy sub-surface targets in coastal waters. They can also be deployed for search and rescue operations.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Vips wrote:Garden Reach bags ₹6,311-cr order to build 8 ASW water craft.

Kolkata-based defence PSU Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE) has won a ₹ 6,311.32-crore order from the Ministry of Defence to build eight anti-submarine warfare (ASW) shallow water craft for the Indian Navy.

The deal signed on Monday is the yard’s first order win after it went public in October last year.

The 16-ship ASW shallow water craft tender of the Indian Navy is split equally between the lowest and the second lowest bidders with the L2 required to match the L1 price. Cochin Shipyard Ltd quoted the lowest price in the tender to emerge the top bidder, wherein GRSE was the second lowest. GRSE matched the lowest price of Cochin Shipyard to win the eight ship-order.

The Defence Ministry is expected to sign the other eight-ship deal with Cochin Shipyard in the next few days, government sources said.

The first ship is to be delivered within 42 months from the contract signing date and the balance in two ships a year. The project completion time is 84 months from date of signing the contract, GRSE said in a statement.

The award comes five years after the tender was issued by the Indian Navy in April, 2014, demonstrating the long-drawn process in finalising contracts for defence ships. The eight ASW shallow watercraft to be built at Garden Reach will be classed with the Indian Register of Shipping (IRS), which won the mandate for providing classification services to the ships.

Indian Register of Shipping is a full-member of the International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) that verifies ships for their sea worthiness.

The ships will be built to IRClass’ Naval Rules 2015 and are designed for combating threats posed by submarines and special underwater craft, operating in relatively shallow waters and will incorporate advanced sensors, including sonars, and anti-submarine weapon systems.

The platforms will also be equipped with modern automation systems.

The ASW shallow water crafts are designed for a deep displacement of 750 tonnes, speed of 25 Knots and complement of 57 and capable of full-scale sub-surface surveillance of coastal waters. The vessels will have the capability to interdict/ destroy sub-surface targets in coastal waters. They can also be deployed for search and rescue operations.
So these will be green water ASW ships with significantly less capability and range than the P-28 Kamorta's? I hope these ships have some good sonar and lightweight torpedos, RBU's etc to detect mines and destroy them in coastal waters, hopefully they come with some of the tech of Kamorta'ss like raft mounted engines etc for being silent int he water. Plus IMRH/ ALH ASW ships to complement the MH-60R Seahawks.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

tsarkar wrote: The shipyard paints the name in front for publicity purposes during launch while the user on commissioning keep a low visibility name in the stern.

When we buy cars, the dealer puts stickers all over that we remove once we get it home. Same logic by shipbuilders and shipusers.
tsarkar wrote:
Typically for heat insulation of the boilers, asbestos is used. IN wanted an environmental friendly options and Russian used a Chinese option that badly performed during sea trials. Thereafter all such environmental friendly shit was removed and proven asbestos used on all 8 boilers before INS Vikramaditya was commissioned into the IN.
Many thanks for the explanations, Saar! Glad to know that the fireproofing issue was fixed with the chini crap removed.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Karan M wrote:And of course, Pakistan and its trains
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1042818/un ... nese-firm/

LAHORE:

Pakistan Railways is going to replace 16 newly inducted locomotives brought from China-based CSR Ziyang Locomotives Co Limited after engineers found serious defects in the locomotives and declared them unsafe to operate, especially for the passenger segment.

“Railways’ engineers have found under-frame cracks in 16 locomotives; which means they [Chinese party] haven’t provided us with a quality consignment as per our agreement,” said Railways Minister Khawaja Saad Rafique in a press briefing on Monday
Karan M Ji :
The Pakistan Railways Experience started in 2003 when PR Acquired about 70 Diesel locomotives from China's Dong Feng Group.

It turned out to be a Complete Disaster.

1. These were refurbished Locomotives originally built for Standard Gauge. They had already seen service in China Railways and spent 20 to 25 Years of faithful service.

2. They were converted for Broad Gauge use and arrived in Terroristan having served in China Railways after having spent 20 to 25 Years of faithful service.

3. Their conversion involved changing the under frames and Bogies for Broad Gauge use and were (A) Too wide to be accommodated in the Terroristan Railway Platforms and so the PR had to shave the Platforms to enable the Engine to pass through or even arrive at the designated stations! A lot of Barbers were employed for the "Shaving Process". (B) Their Axle Weight was about Two Tons more than the Load Limits of the Railway Tracks thus causing cracks in the under frames.
Finally the Loco Maintenance Sheds kept selling the "New" Lubes and did not change the Lubes at their Annual Service.

So the Locomotives had to be scrapped.

As such the Terroristanis banned Dong Feng Group - however a few years later they again ordered the next Batch of Locos -you guessed it - from the Banned Dong Feng Group!

The saga continues. :rotfl:

Cheers Image
Last edited by Peregrine on 30 Apr 2019 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Pak railway news is funny but how is this related to Indian navy?
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

vimal wrote:Pak railway news is funny but how is this related to Indian navy?
Esteemed Sir Ji - this is reply to a part of the Post of 29 Apr 2019 17:27 on this Thread!

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

vimal wrote:Pak railway news is funny but how is this related to Indian navy?
Esteemed Sir Ji - this is in reply to a part of the Post of 29 Apr 2019 17:27 on this Thread!

Cheers Image
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Are the two ASW shallow water crafts (GRSE/Cochin) of the same design or did they each propose their own in house design?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

abhik wrote:Are the two ASW shallow water crafts (GRSE/Cochin) of the same design or did they each propose their own in house design?
different designs
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

negi wrote:Living in Kota house :eek: it is the poshest club in Dilli (even afsars from other 2 services want to spend time there). Fauj has accumulated too many career types whose have made services glorified gobmint daftar.
Kota house is the Naval Officer's Mess in Dilli. They also have another Naval Officer's Mess in dilli. They are not "posh clubs" by any stretch of the imagination.

while I do not claim to know the specifics of this particular case, some messes have, with requisite govt approval, reserved a few rooms for the children of Naval personnel so that they may continue and complete their studies without interruption in dilli. These rooms are on a sharing basis and all food is paid for by the people occupying these rooms. They have no access to the bar/alcohol under any circumstances. They eat either in the dining room or in their room and no personal cooking is permitted. All availed services are fully paid for from their own pockets.

AFAIK, these facilities are offered by all the services as a welfare measure after consultations and approval of the MoD/GoI. Even war widows are assisted in the same manner.

Please do not be so critical without having all the facts at hand.

granted that there may be the odd isolated case of misuse but the vast majority of cases are deserving and to tar them all with the same broad brush is unfair.

if a case of misuse is made out, then no matter who or how high and mighty, heads must roll but only after a few swift kicks to the testimonials.

the guy is anyway on his way out. Its the GoI's prerogative whom they appoint. If KB singh becomes chief, this guy will most probably resign as per the usual practice.

the adm, however, has all the right to seek legal redressal if he perceives that he has been wronged.

The last gent who used the legal route on multiple occasions to clamber up the greasy pole was another chief. his wife was some sort of SC lawyer of the allegedly red persuasion and was rumoured to be connected and she fought all his cases.

They had actually homed in on another target and had him dead to rights when the guy foolishly did his aa bail, mujhe maar act.

that time, the bail actually came and did what bails usually do.

another week and the chief would have gotten away clean because they would have sacked the other guy. timing is everything.

good bail.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Adm Bhagwat of NDA infamy I presume.

https://navalofficersmessdelhi.com/about
https://navalofficersmessdelhi.com/gallery

Clean and nice, and a little quaint. Doesn't appear to be anything more fancy than the dime a dozen private hotels with sparkling decor (less said the better about the rest, the better though).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karan M wrote:Adm Bhagwat of NDA infamy I presume.

Clean and nice, and a little quaint. Doesn't appear to be anything more fancy than the dime a dozen private hotels with sparkling decor (less said the better about the rest, the better though).
this may also be some sort of a heritage place so it looks quaint and a bit colonial.

Most of the NOMs are standard middle aged municipal architect type of design with room sizes limited by govt orders.

some good, some bad and the vast majority just about average.

A place to eat and sleep generally, most of the time.

some boring parties in honor of some visiting senior whom his friends usually don't want to entertain at their homes

You clutch your insipid drink, can't speak, even if you wanted to, stifle yawns and glance surreptitiously at someone else's watch hoping for a quick end to the event

so very few people spend their free time here, they all mostly prefer to go out and enjoy themselves.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karan M wrote:Adm Bhagwat of NDA infamy I presume.

wasn't infamy at all.

george was very right to do what he did and only he had the testimonials to do it.

ABA was soft with people and nonconfrontational but he trusted george to do right by him
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1122861717266948096 ---> As far as new minesweepers (MCMVs) are concerned, the Indian Navy wants single-skin non-stiffened hulls for the same. Only 2 companies in the world probably have credible capability in that domain. However, a new RFI for collaboration on MCMVs has been sent to over 5 players.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1122862579343192064 ---> India has a 'strategic partnership' with South Korea in the domain of shipbuilding. However, a repeated failure to come to terms with Seoul for minesweeper technology shows that such agreements are actually as 'strategic' as confetti. Which is why India has so many of them.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 7690589184 ---> GRSE, Kolkata has received an order worth Rs 6311.32 crores for building 8 Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft for the Indian Navy. The 1st ship is to be delivered within 42 months of contract signature. Each ship has a deep displacement of 750 tons and 25 knots max speed.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1122858543822958592 ----> The ASW-SWC tender was not on a nomination basis. Cochin Shipyard Limited emerged as the lowest bidder, while GRSE was the second lowest, beating out private shipyards. The total build program for some 16 units has been split 50:50 between CSL & GRSE.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1122858952125898752 ----> In recent times, Ministry of Defence controlled shipyards have been beating out private shipyards in tenders for major Indian naval shipbuilding programmes.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Babudom hard at work to ensure their livelihoods or else they know they will go the Air India/BSNL way.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Vips wrote:Babudom hard at work to ensure their livelihoods or else they know they will go the Air India/BSNL way.
If they under bid and there is price escalation the GOI will cover it so they have nothing to lose unlike Private SY.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Do you guys know these for facts. Or is it because private companies are always better than public companies?
sahay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sahay »

John wrote:If they under bid and there is price escalation the GOI will cover it so they have nothing to lose unlike Private SY.
Why exactly will that happen in a fixed-price contract?