2019 General Elections News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Re: 2019 General Elections News and Discussion

Post by darshan »

Mort Walker wrote:Some of the anti-Modi or anti-BJP tweets going around that need further explanation.

One partial explanation would be election year funding for UPA. Dalals and PSU unions would be happy? Election funds?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

As someone answered the Defence Pension is not accounted for in DEfence budget and is now under separate head

Congi pasand Ajai Shukla himself mentions this(quoting it because Congis will not believe anything not even gazette notifications)

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 392_1.html
However, Finance Minister Piyush Goyal’s Budget speech, and a government statement released through the Press Information Bureau, treated the pension and MoD allocations as outside the defence Budget. By that count, the defence budget amounts to Rs 3.02 trillion.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

darshan wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:Some of the anti-Modi or anti-BJP tweets going around that need further explanation.

One partial explanation would be election year funding for UPA. Dalals and PSU unions would be happy? Election funds?
Hello einsteinullahs:

See Forbes (Propah Gora, headed by the jackass who attacked India for Namo-Demo and got handed his undies by someone commenting under his article):

Indian economy, measured in USD, is 1.5 times in 2019 what it was in 2014. So 1.38% would have been constant spending (in dollars while rupee was declining!) per Ulan Bator's famed Institute 4 Ungli Arithmetic. Instead GOI is spending 1.49%
IOW, defense spending has risen by 7.9 percent as a percentage of GDP, even as GDP has risen by 50%!!!!!!!!

PLUS, 100% of the spending is going to benefit the warfighter, not the Seychelles bank account of 3-star-King RaGa&Mother Pvt. Ltd

And ppl from the land of Aryabhatta (not 2 b confused with Dar-ka Butt-a or Stinker Dupatta) can't figure this out? Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the rice being eaten in sdre yindoostan. R u sure it is not GM like the British milk that RaGa swills? :shock:
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

VDPAssociates
@VDPAssociates
·

Lok Sabha results will stun political pundits across India on May 23rd.Some states will give results no one imagined #LokSabhaElections2019

VDPAssociates
@VDPAssociates
·
Apr 30
With it almost clear which way 2019 election is going can the next government be expected to focus on education sector which is almost in shambles? #LokSabhaElections2019
Remember he called out Wire magazine BS that BJP will lose 40 seats as stupid spreadsheet analysis
Last edited by vijayk on 02 May 2019 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

UBCN is also making similar claim. In fact MANY states, not just SOME states.

Lok Sabha results will stun political pundits across India on May 23rd. MANY states will give results no one imagined #LokSabhaElections2019

Mark our words! :rotfl:
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

UlanBatori wrote:UBCN is also making similar claim. In fact MANY states, not just SOME states.

Lok Sabha results will stun political pundits across India on May 23rd. MANY states will give results no one imagined #LokSabhaElections2019

Mark our words! :rotfl:
Exit poll?
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

darshan wrote:

After OROP, pensions are being brought out in a different head, not the defense budget, IIRC. That explains some of the apparent decline as a percentage.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

UlanBatori wrote:
darshan wrote: One partial explanation would be election year funding for UPA. Dalals and PSU unions would be happy? Election funds?
Hello einsteinullahs:

PLUS, 100% of the spending is going to benefit the warfighter, not the Seychelles bank account of 3-star-King RaGa&Mother Pvt. Ltd
The keyword being partial. We have an overlap on that part. Many other explanations were already covered in different threads before when folks were battling out defense spending. My comment was mainly based on the particular year's coincidence with the election year.

And focus needs to be changed to cyclone fani.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

BeeJayPee on Teetar I hope gives back better than it gets from these RaGa twits. That chart is another RaGa booboo that they should not be allowed to let down: Ask where RaGa passed arithmetic.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Centre orders release of Rs 1,086 crore to 4 states as advance assistance for cyclone 'Fani'.
https://m.republicworld.com/india-news/ ... clone-fani
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

चौकीदार छोटे चौधरी

@Tweeter_wapsi

BJP mounting strong campaign in Azamgarh..
Today Ram Vilas Paswan campaigning for Nirhua.. Anupriya Patel also active in constituency... All top BJP leaders spending nights..

Akal-less didn't expect this..
Can BJP mount same campaign in Rae Bareli too? WHy not get rid of Chinese Gandhis from Parliament totally and sanitize it?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So who are the candidates in Azamgarh?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ramana wrote:So who are the candidates in Azamgarh?
Akal-less

Their whole family tree is running in 22 constituencies in teetar
Last edited by vijayk on 02 May 2019 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

ramana wrote:So who are the candidates in Azamgarh?
actor dinesh yadav (Nirahua) and akhilesh yadav.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Chintamani

@IamIconoclast
Following Following @IamIconoclast
More
#ChintamaniSpeaks #Elections2019 @Election_in 14 UP constituencies in #Phase5 - Dhaurahra, Sitapur, Lucknow, Mohanlalganj, Barabanki, Kaiserganj, Bahraich, Gonda, Faizabad, Amethi, Raibareli, Kaushambi, Fatehpur, Banda.
BJP ahead in all of them. Yes, all of them.
Shaktimaan
BRFite

Post by Shaktimaan »

I watched Pappu ji's interview on NDTV today. It was full of lies about Rafale etc, but Pappu himself has come a long way from that notorious interview with Arnab. He seemed confident and there was no fumbling.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

hanumadu wrote:
Chintamani

@IamIconoclast
Following Following @IamIconoclast
More
#ChintamaniSpeaks #Elections2019 @Election_in 14 UP constituencies in #Phase5 - Dhaurahra, Sitapur, Lucknow, Mohanlalganj, Barabanki, Kaiserganj, Bahraich, Gonda, Faizabad, Amethi, Raibareli, Kaushambi, Fatehpur, Banda.
BJP ahead in all of them. Yes, all of them.
In the 51 seats of Phase 5, I would expect NDA to have a rich haul of minimum 40 and quite possibly 45+ seats.

A few seats may go to TMC in WB and maybe 1-2 to UPA in JH.

In BH, MP, and RJ I expect nearly clean sweep. Maybe 1-2 lost here and there.

Same in UP. Will be nearly clean sweep, and possibly 100% clean sweep.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ishaan prakash

Verified account

@ishaan_ANI
Follow
Follow @ishaan_ANI

More
India TV seems to be planning a grand extravaganza for their PM Modi interview, JN stadium booked. This format could be a first for a TV interview?
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Shaktimaan wrote:I watched Pappu ji's interview on NDTV today. It was full of lies about Rafale etc, but Pappu himself has come a long way from that notorious interview with Arnab. He seemed confident and there was no fumbling.
Is that a live interview? If it is not live. Then editing will do the trick.
Last edited by williams on 02 May 2019 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

spoke too early …

https://zeenews.india.com/lok-sabha-gen ... 00506.html

BJP gets mission mode in Amethi and Raebareli
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I’m not sure which districts in WB and BH may be impacted by Cyclone Fani. Based on landfall projections it should pass WB by Sunday, but it may impact voter turnout if some constituencies are impacted.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

We the People of India

@India_Policy
2h
2 hours ago

More
The dynasty extracted a huge price from India. It's now extracting a huge price from the Congress party. In well nurtured constituencies like Guna, they want to vote for the party, but won't do so only because of Pappu and Pappi.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

An example of Con Bot army

https://twitter.com/callmeashu2017/stat ... 3892726786

I understand that twitter is less influencial than whatsapp but whatsapp remains and will remain more close and private compared to twitter.

Can BJP really afford to cede a space and allow a new axis of attack to develop?
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

vijayk wrote:spoke too early …

https://zeenews.india.com/lok-sabha-gen ... 00506.html

BJP gets mission mode in Amethi and Raebareli
I can certainly see Amethi turning saffron considering the charisma and hard work of the BJP candidate. Rae Bareli seems more of a numbers game + hard campaigning by BJP "stars". Will of course be great if Rae Bareli turns too. It helps that the incumbents in both seats have been total duds in their multiple terms as MPs.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

vijayk wrote:
VDPAssociates
@VDPAssociates
·

Lok Sabha results will stun political pundits across India on May 23rd.Some states will give results no one imagined #LokSabhaElections2019

VDPAssociates
@VDPAssociates
·
Apr 30
With it almost clear which way 2019 election is going can the next government be expected to focus on education sector which is almost in shambles? #LokSabhaElections2019
Excellent way to cover all your bases without saying anything specific.

If BJP comes back with higher seat count than 2014 - Stunning, no one imagined, but I predicted.
If BJP loses a whole bunch of seats and Thugbandhan wins - Political pundits stunned! No one imagined, but I predicted it.
If BJP loses seats but NDA manages to scrape thourgh - Still stunning! Unpredicatble, but this is what I meant in my tweet.

PP at least says exactly what he means on Twitter, regardless of whether you choose to believe him or not.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

There should be a law against such reporting, when one is drinking coffee reading it at the keyboard.
It seems that BJP has prepared a foolproof plan to defeat Congress
And right above that they show the fool looking like himself. 8)
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Cyclone Fani heading for Puri

Cyclone Fani will likely cause "total destruction" of thatched roof houses, as well as "extensive uprooting of communication and power poles," according to the IMD. India's air force, army, navy and coast guard are currently on high alert, and the country has opened 800 shelters for evacuees, the AP reported. The country also has more than 100,000 emergency food packets ready to be airdropped, according to the AP.

BRF planning to get ahead of the curve and start a Fani dhaga with emergency info pls? Massive destruction is a certainty. Hopefully loss of life will be minimal due to good prediction and evacuation. Like a million people evacuated to shelters! "Phenomenal Sea Conditions" suggests massive tidal wave, and probably immense flooding as Ganga and Brahmaputra / Padma rivers back up in Bengal.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Picklu wrote: I understand that twitter is less influencial than whatsapp but whatsapp remains and will remain more close and private compared to twitter.

Can BJP really afford to cede a space and allow a new axis of attack to develop?
I wonder how much overlap is there. WhatsApp is preferred medium to share but how much of direct or indirect content from other platforms being referenced on WhatsApp?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Picklu wrote:An example of Con Bot army
https://twitter.com/callmeashu2017/stat ... 3892726786
I understand that twitter is less influencial than whatsapp but whatsapp remains and will remain more close and private compared to twitter.
What's so great about that tweet ? It's basically a tweet about tweeting. Twitter is already used widely for fratting. What's that ? Well here's a tweet about it
“Fratting” is when paid troll groups organize off Twitter to time mass harassment. They then swarm the target, hoping to provoke any pushback. Then, they and a botnet send 1000s of reports of “abuse” - by the target. Twitter then suspends the account.
Rishi Bagree and now TrueIndology are victims of this.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

nachiket wrote:
vijayk wrote:
Excellent way to cover all your bases without saying anything specific.

If BJP comes back with higher seat count than 2014 - Stunning, no one imagined, but I predicted.
If BJP loses a whole bunch of seats and Thugbandhan wins - Political pundits stunned! No one imagined, but I predicted it.
If BJP loses seats but NDA manages to scrape thourgh - Still stunning! Unpredicatble, but this is what I meant in my tweet.

PP at least says exactly what he means on Twitter, regardless of whether you choose to believe him or not.
He said WB will be a stunner. He predicted TMC in his opinion pole
He trashed Wire when they tried to say BJP will lose 40-45 in UP based on caste count/2014 vote statistics/vote cutter analysis on spreadsheet.

In one tweet he said public will stun by giving decisive verdict? Is 20-30 party Non-alliance based on caste arithmetic a decisive verdict?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

vijayk wrote: He said WB will be a stunner. He predicted TMC in his opinion pole
He trashed Wire when they tried to say BJP will lose 40-45 in UP based on caste count/2014 vote statistics/vote cutter analysis on spreadsheet.

In one tweet he said public will stun by giving decisive verdict? Is 20-30 party Non-alliance based on caste arithmetic a decisive verdict?
All I'm saying is there is no reason to be cryptic. People cannot post exit poll data or exact seat predictions. But there is nothing stopping him from saying that BJP will get a decisive verdict in their favor or they will sweep WB if he wants to. If that is what he means, he should say it without the wink-wink nudge-nudge that can be interpreted in any way.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

^ I believe in ramanaji … He has given a decisive verdict in posts here :D
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

ramana wrote:

We can rebut this quite effectively. For starters its NaMo govt that persuaded IA to order Arjun MK1A that the graphic uses scissors on the gun barrel.,
Of course actual capital expenditure trend over years will give the true picture, but the figures aren't any thing to write home about. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Arjun Mk1A has not actually been ordered, neither has Tejas Mk1. Also indigenous content has probably come down (I'm looking for the actual numbers, don't know if these are released) due to signing of massive importgiri deals like Rafale and S400 without equivalent desi ones.
This has come up before, but some BRFites get defensive. After balakot there is a realization that the budget has to be increased, lol now even Jetley is admitting this (after 5 years have gone by).
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

nachiket wrote:All I'm saying is there is no reason to be cryptic. People cannot post exit poll data or exact seat predictions. But there is nothing stopping him from saying that BJP will get a decisive verdict in their favor or they will sweep WB if he wants to. If that is what he means, he should say it without the wink-wink nudge-nudge that can be interpreted in any way.
While your argument makes sense in isolation, I think we are being a little blinded by our own confirmation biases here. I took a quick look at the Indian Express front page yesterday. The news articles all describe 'Modi not censured for MCC violation; EC goes against arguments made by its own officials' . The details describe an EC exec committee meeting discussing successive poll code violation petitions against the PM, which were debated after after various positions were argued, decisions were made. That standard committee discussion is massaged as 'going against its own officials'.

On paper, such decisions should be statutorily made on the basis of clearly laid down and comprehensive guidelines of dos and don'ts. But the reality is that this is not the case. Even further than EC, the SC's decisions are even more arbitary . Given such context, one can't blame these folks for being excessively cryptic - it is symptomatic of the fact that there is not enough clarity as to what can and cannot be done, and that levers can be pulled arbitrarily, especially considering the person is on the Twitter platform, a location that's very frequently affected by fratting.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

BB has still the same risk that he had in the last assembly election. He is using Mapi, that has one fatal flaw - It assumes a solid base vote for each party (at booth level as he claims) and then based on some targeted opinion/exit poll at supposedly bell weather booths (bell weather from his model perspective), predict swing, adjust the base and predict who will win. In Chhattisgarh assembly election, what was base was wrong (as the base itself had shifted). No amount of swing would have accounted it (same was the reason of Rajasthan being wrong, MP from psephology wasn't wrong.).
This is good use of Machine learning/predictive analysis, but has his limitations. The model will only work, if the political situation is more or less static (as in base is intact) and swings are then measure. If I remember right, he started with 17% undecided voters in his Mapi (meaning 83% were accounted in respective party's base, I was a day late in accessing, undecided could have been bigger). I am not sure he has some triggers to account for base shift ( he got Bihar right, he saw perhaps large swing towards Lalu/Nitish than expected and in Bihar I suspect that time opposition base was bigger than BJP's).
That could be a flaw in his analysis in this election. Not sure how Savyasachi or Chintamani are doing their analysis (real exit interview?).
BB if doing a survey (I don't know how hw will confirm all 543 constituency) can at a very gross level confirm the base (The macro at top is not that).
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

When @VDPAssociates called TheWire idiotic report on UP as Excel sheet analysis, I know how the wind is blowing in UP.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://twitter.com/TimesNow/status/1123967925877080064
TIMES NOW

Verified account

@TimesNow

TIMES NOW EXCLUSIVE: Sensational claims by sleuths. Raids reveal top beneficiaries 'Surjewala and Digvijaya'.

Listen in to @RShivshankar and @navikakumar on #PollCashTrailConfession
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

fanne wrote:BB has still the same risk that he had in the last assembly election. He is using Mapi, that has one fatal flaw - It assumes a solid base vote for each party (at booth level as he claims) and then based on some targeted opinion/exit poll at supposedly bell weather booths (bell weather from his model perspective), predict swing, adjust the base and predict who will win. In Chhattisgarh assembly election, what was base was wrong (as the base itself had shifted). No amount of swing would have accounted it (same was the reason of Rajasthan being wrong, MP from psephology wasn't wrong.).
This is good use of Machine learning/predictive analysis, but has his limitations. The model will only work, if the political situation is more or less static (as in base is intact) and swings are then measure. If I remember right, he started with 17% undecided voters in his Mapi (meaning 83% were accounted in respective party's base, I was a day late in accessing, undecided could have been bigger). I am not sure he has some triggers to account for base shift ( he got Bihar right, he saw perhaps large swing towards Lalu/Nitish than expected and in Bihar I suspect that time opposition base was bigger than BJP's).
That could be a flaw in his analysis in this election. Not sure how Savyasachi or Chintamani are doing their analysis (real exit interview?).
BB if doing a survey (I don't know how hw will confirm all 543 constituency) can at a very gross level confirm the base (The macro at top is not that).
General models are like that - differential/swing analysis on raw data to do predictions. With ML algos available, they can be further fine tuned. This all gives positive and ideal case results. Even large scale base shifts are okay as they can be modeled and analyzed in the same way.
Such model analysis with solid ground survey data can give better projections. However, ground reality of party poll management and party fine-tunings of schemes during elections (like TRS did in Assembly elections in 2018 and last minute welfare schemes TDP did now) can't be captured by the models unless your have similar data that parties are doing on. Only party organizations or private groups like Ex-MP Lagadapati who has secretive survey and predictions organization are equipped to do such deep analysis as it is expensive.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://newsd.in/don-t-teach-us-politic ... -congress/
Don’t teach us politics: Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav to Congress
"They are both the same. If India is facing unemployment due to wrong policies of the Congress, the BJP has only taken those forward and made the situation even worse"
Yadav said: “The Congress party has stood together with the individual, who got a CBI inquiry ordered against Netaji (Mulayam Singh Yadav) and his family for disproportionate assets. But look at our large-heartedness, we still spared two seats for the Congress in Uttar Pradesh.”
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Shaktimaan wrote:I watched Pappu ji's interview on NDTV today. It was full of lies about Rafale etc, but Pappu himself has come a long way from that notorious interview with Arnab. He seemed confident and there was no fumbling.
Shashi Tharoor must be training him these days.

He may have improved his delivery, but he still spouts nonsense and comes across as petty and immature.